• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
HIIIIII Yellow! You might be my last review for blitz—I’m finishing STRONK! Here for 9-11…I did read your authors note, and I’m not sure what you mean about these chapters being a snoozefest…I disagree entirely!! A lot went down here and I was VERY excited to get into it. It seems like I left off just before shit hit the fan, but I feel like we’re well on our way there as it is.

First off, who the FUCK was tailing Wes and Rui???? I’m racking my brain, but I’m also kind of a stupidass so I don’t really know—is it somebody we met?? IS IT THE MAYOR?????? Honestly I’m pretty sure the mayor’s fucking dead, uh oh.

I don’t think I like Duking yet, but I’m biased toward Wes hardcore. Like I get the wariness, but being blatantly rude toward Wes while nice to everyone else is hardly the route to go to deal with a former criminal—he’s a Snagger, not a serial killer. Wes did what he had to do to survive out there, and got subjected to abuse as a result, so I’m big fucking Mama Bear when it comes to him and don’t appreciate the rudeness being directed at him 😡😡 It also pissed me off when Sherles was like “Duking’s done more for this town than you have for the region” like GIVE A BITCH A BREAK, HE AGREED TO HELP YOU AND HE’S GOING THROUGH IT. Clearly he blew up the hideout for a damn reason!!!

Chapter 11 was super jam packed with getting out and about and tryna do some sleuthing…but a lot of characters were introduced, some of which I don’t know how integral they are to the plot. I’m gathering Duking and Silva are, but the kids, this Emok chick (who needs to BEGONE) might not be. I guess they’re important for the chapter, but the bigger cast felt a little…inflating, if that makes sense? Like there was a lot of characters coming in and not a lot of them propelled the plot. I guess Emok kinda did, but the two kids didn’t (I think).

I did like getting into the heads of the shadow Pokemon, and I really liked how contrasting they were! I felt absolutely awful for both of them and for different reasons, and I also particularly enjoyed their different reactions to Rui and Wes—one finding them “weak” for being nice and the other being wary and shocked that humans are being nice to them. I do wonder why we met Maku through Wes and Rui’s POV, but these other three through theirs—I’d assume it’s because Rui was left to name those other three, so it kind of set them apart. I do hope we see them develop to come to trust Wes and Rui at some point, and we figure out how to cure this shadow affliction…like I said before, never played Colo so idk what’s going on kekw kekw.

I have a couple line-by-lines to follow here, but nothing too crazy—a typo or two and some line reacts. Other than that, I’m coming back to REALLY get into the nitty gritty because I saw that CW for chapter 12…lawd help me.

gud fic pls upd8 🤍🤍🤍

watch that smart mouth of yours. This man has done more for this town than you've done for anything in your entire life, and he deserves your respect."

Respect. Wes hated that word. It was the word of authoritarians and tyrants and men drunk with power.
Honestly Wes, same. This made my damn blood boil LOL.

Sherles barked out a laugh. "Look at you, being so modest!" He turned to Rui with a grin. "This young man has been with us for some time, Miss Everlin - not too long, mind you, but he's worked with us to expose the Snagem hideout and steal the Snag Machine to help us in our investigation. Truly, we'd be at quite a loss without him."
Okay, Sherles earned some of my respect back.

...And then vomited a massive heap of undigested bacon all over the floor.
HOW. DID. I. FUCKING. KNOW.

Don't call me 'boss'. I'm your Chief."

"Sorry, boss."
This got a good laugh out of me.

Unless they're trying to kill me, which...wouldn't be unlikely.
I know I’ve mentioned this in my other reviews but a lot of Wes’s thoughts like this one tend to be on-the-nose. I’m repeating myself here but something like this could he cut off at the comma.

Emok laughed softly. "Oh, there's a number of things I'd want from you, darling." She reached out to his chest and traced the clasp of his coat with an idle finger. "But maybe a battle would do...for now."
BEGONE THOT

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Hello, Yellow! I'm so glad to finally be reviewing this. Been meaning to for what seems like a million years, augh. Let's get stuck in.

Chapter 1: Escape

Love the title art. I think the gradients make it even nicer as a banner, but it's great here too. Pretty compelling synopsis, regardless of what I know about the game.

The base explosion is a good fun bit of action to open with~ Well-paced and satisfying. I like the tiny battle that occurs on the way out (I wouldn't have much of a problem with Neo sniping the skarmory, but confuse ray is a better plan for sure.) I'm not sure whether I want more description for the motorcycle? It's iconic, so it doesn't need it, but for a second I wondered if you'd replaced the hovercraft with an actual mundane bike. Incidentally, you refer to it as a motorcycle twice in one sentence a little later, which was slightly jarring. I enjoy the way Neo and Novo are introduced, which establishes their personalities and Wes' relationship with them instantly, I love it. Neo is such an arrogant little shit, I can tell he'll be a lot of fun. I also like the way he had a 'gang name' as Leo, it emphasises the two identities theme I can already see developing.

I love the negotiation with Neo a lot, it really fits my preferences for how a trainer ought to interact with a 'mon who counts as a smart animal. Wes was justified for reasons of safety and Neo is bashful, but Neo is allowed to be annoyed about the rough handling, and bacon makes it all better. I bet it's not a one time deal you big fucking softie, Wes.

Hooray for nightmare whump! In a fucking cellar, no less! I am such a fan of this kind of trope, of the haunted bastard running from his demons. I already appreciate this take on Wes very much, and it's so much better than him being a hyper-competent edgelord or whatever the fuck kind of portrayal I'm sure most people give him.

Chapter 2: Interference

BACON! I was right, and it's hilarious. Love Wes for spoiling his little bastards. Perfect trio. I like that his plan is to escape Orre and not to go around beating up bad guys or whatever. Having that goal in mind makes for good tension whenever he does something besides that later on. I also love that he uses the word 'partners' for his vees, it's among my favourite words for a trainer's 'mon. I also like the skarmory feather knife and its origin, and the way he grips it when someone tries to so much as make small talk. This boy is so fucking tense. And yet, he gives a shit! He could've ignored that guy completely, but he gave advice. I feel like it's partly to vindicate/absolve himself, since he's warning about guys like he used to be, y'know?

Phenac as an eyesore is a fun unexpected take. I wonder if he's from Pyrite and hates wealth, or something of that nature. The asskicking he gives the goons is very cool, it really feels like he's a smart battler who's very much in synch with his teammates, and he's enough of a loser that I enjoy him having a talent like this. The guy is just good with 'mon, huh.

Rui is so cute and pocket-sized! What a contrast to Wes, who's a funny old bastard. I love that besides helping her, the best indicator of his personal virtue is that the vees work as his conscience, and he listens to them. I feel like he could be even more rude and terse and uncaring than he is and I'd still believe in his grime-covered heart of gold from the way he is around his vees.

Chapter 3: Change of Plans

In their first big convo, we find out that Rui is even more cute, Wes' life is even more shit, his life is shit, and they are a pair that exemplify the class divide in Orre. Will he resent her for her life of privilege, I wonder? He seems mostly to pity her.

Rui's plan is cute and dumb and I love her. Incidentally, how come she was taken from Pyrite to the Stand then to Phenac?

It's the MAYORB. What a liar. I like the dialogue in this scene, and the little detail that Wes doesn't trust drinks from strangers.

I feel like Wes has already built up enough trust, and blowing up Snagem would give him enough credibility, that he could probably break the reveal to her now about his past and she'd be fine with it. Why does it matter, though, if she does hate him for having been a thief? He's planning on leaving her in the dust, right? Could it be, Wesley Lycas, that you like this girl? That you care about her? Surely not! >:3

So, three chapters deep, I'm enjoying your writing style, your choices with regard to adaptation of the source material, the characterisation of grubby, grumpy Wes, his cheeky cat children, and ray of sunshine Rui, and the vibes. It's great stuff, I'm looking forward to reading on! Hell, it's reinvigorated my desire to do my own lower-effort Colo fic. I'm so glad to finally be reading your fic, my dear!

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Here to review chapter 13!

Always nice to see the POV from Wes' Pokemon!

Neo is just as adorable as an Eevee.

Wes smiling! :veelove:

This is absolutely adorable! Both Wes and Neo are so happy!

Neo evolved!

He was fabulous.
Oh, Neo.

Oh dear. Wes is afraid of these people.

OH DEAR.

Oh no, they took Neo!

I hate these three.

...at least Novo evolved, and Neo is ok?

He would do anything, be anything, go anywhere to make sure his Trainer never cried, never hurt like this again.
Oh, Novo...

Overall, a short, sweet, and heartbreaking chapter. I really like the dichotomy of Neo's section being happy, while Novo's is heartbreaking.

Thank you for writing this!

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
Hemlo! Here is a Smeargle Swap illustration of Chapter 2:

of_sand_and_shadows_smeargle_swap.png

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Chapter 5! And I took only... three months to get to it. Oh wow.

Rather than fight it this time, he figured if they could power through the issue quickly, then he could still be heading to Gateon by the end of the day.

hahaha no

Rui turned to look at him with horror in her eyes. “Wes...” she whispered. He could feel her trembling in his grip.

Wes then noticed their surroundings, and he immediately understood her fear.

The office was unrecognizable from the day before. Not only were the lights out, but the room was destroyed; papers were scattered all over the floor, the fireplace was shattered, furniture was upended everywhere. Wes noticed the tea set that had been used to serve them yesterday was smashed into pieces on the floor.

wes.... im an empath.... and i sense something horrible happened here....

Actually I like the mention of the tea set a lot, it brings both a sense of continuity and contrast between then and now.

At first, he wasn’t sure what he was looking at. For half a crazed second, as he saw massive ball of red and white, he thought he might be looking at a bizarre Pokemon. And then he realized it wasn’t what he was looking at, but whom.

me
sickosyes.png

The Espeon yowled in pain, but before the Duskull could launch another attack, he was yanked out of the air by Novo’s jaws. The Umbreon had leaped onto the desk to reach his foe, and now hurled him down to the ground with a fierce tug.

toy

“Rui - Rui!” Wes shouted, sitting up and trying to put some distance between him and the Makuhita. “The bag! Give me the bag!”

“Wh-what?”

Weird empty line?

“I...I told you I grew up on the streets, right?” He started slowly. Rui narrowed her eyes at him and nodded. “Well...I associated with all kinds of people. Living that life, you have to make connections to survive. I had...had some close friends who got caught up with Team Snagem.”

Rui’s hands curled into fists as they rested atop her knees. She said nothing, so Wes continued.

“I didn’t like what Team Snagem did. I never liked it. But these friends of mine...they did what they thought they had to do to survive. So they stayed with Snagem for a long time, until something happened.” He paused and stared hard at the ground. “They...killed one of my good friends and his team.”

Rui’s expression remained unchanged, but she pursed her lips at this revelation. “Why?” she asked.

“Because he broke one of their rules...I don’t know all the details.” Wes ran a hand through his hair. “I just know that they killed his team and made him watch before they killed him.” Anger started to rise in his chest. Horrifying images, ones that plagued his nightmares, began to flicker across his mind. He shook his head and pushed them back as he took another deep breath.

"your friends" huh, yeah i believe you

jokes aside tho no wonder hes traumatized holy shit

Rui scanned his face as if looking for any traces of falsehood. “So...you were never part of Team Snagem yourself?”

“No,” Wes said firmly. “Never.”

“You’ve never stolen a Pokemon?”

“Today was the first.”

She sat still for a long time, staring hard at him, fists still clenched. Wes tried to calm the pounding in his chest as he met her gaze evenly. Please let her believe me. Please.

“Okay.” Her voice was quiet. “I believe you.”

either rui is letting him off the hook on purpose or shes the worst aura person that ever aurad

“Look.” He raised his head again. “That’s a nice idea and all, but you have no actual evidence. You don’t have any leads. And you’re not even slightly qualified to lead any sort of investigation. It’s best to tell authorities everything you know, and let them take it from there.”

“But what can they do?” Rui huffed. “They haven’t accomplished anything in years when it comes to Orre’s crime rings! I mean, you did more to expose Snagem than they have ever done, and you’re just one person!”

Wes had to admit she had a point there. Orre’s pitiful excuse for a police force was precisely why crime was so high. Few criminals were successfully caught, and even fewer were ever punished.

So is the police corrupt or just incompetent (or a combination)? I feel like incompetence usually shows itself in treating criminals worse than they should be treated, but corruption would fit with few punishments.

“Well, we cant all be a hero, all right?” Wes snapped.

This sounded a bit weird - "we can't all be heroes" would sound better to me. Also, missing apostrophe.

---

I had a blast reading Miror B's moments and a double blast imagining talking like Rudy Rhod from The Fifth Element. Anyway, while he is a character with silly presentation, he still appears as a threat due to the power he holds in the situation and the fact that he doesn't do anything stupid (initally I did think he was making a stupid choice by leaving the same guys to deal with the same thing they failed with before, but them actually having the Shadow Makuhita with them this time made a considerable difference). So good job on avoiding the pitfall of having the silly character be too silly.

I don't think I have much else to say - I had some small critiques, but a quick reread made me realize they were either too subjective or I was just straight up incorrect to begin with. Anyway good stuff. See you later in another three months probably lmao im a mess

canisaries

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Hey there! I chose OSAS for the fic to review for the anniversary challenge, and I've read chapters 6-10.

Quote Comments (6-10 combined):

Four men stood in front of it, forming a human blockade of sorts.
today were dancing for no reason. someday well disappear for no reason.

“Please, sir...” Rui put on her best pleading face. “I’m just a tourist, you see, and I don’t live here-”

“Bah!” He waved a hand in frustration. “Then go to the Center or something!”

“Care to tell us why we can’t leave the city?” Wes surprised Rui by stepping up beside her and addressing the man sharply. She held back a sigh; she’d been going for the sweet and innocent angle, but Wes’ glare would quickly ruin that.
wes coming in with SHE ASKED FOR NO PICKLES energy

Supposedly?Rui still wasn’t exactly sure what to call these men.
Missing space.

“Right, then - Vital throw!”
Missing capital (the "throw" part was capitalized before).

It was more like an ambush than a real battle,Wes growled to himself.
Missing space.

She gave him a wan smile. "It's all right...I don't remember anything about him, I was so young." She brightened just a little. "But even so, I'm proud to be his daughter. He was fighting to save lives, and that makes him a hero in my book."
oh hes gonna turn out to be a son of a bitch isnt he

He was already one step ahead of his boss. The boy raised a hand with three more minimized Pokeballs inside it. Pickpocketing was easy when the targets were more concerned about the gun pointed at their heads.
god how many pokemon do these kids have? that doesnt seem responsible

They were several hours into their trek to Pyrite, and they still had a ways to go; Wes had only stopped for a brief moment to allow them to stretch their legs and to let Neo and Novo out of their Pokeballs.
Initially I thought this was something that had happened in the past and that they were now on their way again, and that Rui was yelling to Wes from her sidecart over the motor. I think it's the pluperfect ("had stopped") that made me think the event in question had already ended.

"So," Rui pressed, "don't you think it's a bit reckless?"
rui it is quite literally the desert what is he going to crash into

He almost snorted at the thought. Friends.
you shut the HELL up wes that show defined a generation

Sherles' office was a rather small and humble one, quite different from the mayor's in Phenac. There were no windows, making the room feel cramped, and the desk was a beat up old thing, its top covered in a variety of papers.

Rather than take a seat behind his desk, however, Sherles stood in front of it and looked Wes up and down with an unreadable expression. He glanced at Wes' companions again. "Those are some fine Pokémon you've got there, son."

"Thank you."

"Now, then. Tell me how you came across these dangerous Pokémon."
oh shit new JCS criminal interrogation video

Sherles smirked a little. "I thought so." He tipped his head back again. "Now, if you don't mind, I have a few questions for you. Care to tell me why you blew up the Snagem hideout?"
say its a prank wes it was for your youtube channel

"Now that's a good question." Sherles straightened a little, regarding the Snagger with critical eyes. "Why would I want you, of all people?
maybe because he caught like four shadow pokemon in two days and all youve done is sit with your thumbs up your asses

"Oh, I'm sure you know of him," Sherles said lightly. He slipped his device back in his pocket. "In fact, why don't we meet with him now?"

Perfectly on cue, the door beside Wes creaked open.
he stood there for the whole conversation

"If you think I'm housing a criminal under the same roof as my kids, Sherles, you've got another think coming." Duking's voice was little more than a low growl.
I thought this was wrong until I looked it up - it seems "think" is actually the original form and still gets used - but there's also the fact that Duking lives in not just Orre but Pyrite, so I feel like the more rough (and American) "thing" would suit him better. But I also just met this character, so, you know.

"Oh my gosh!" Marci squealed so high Wes was sure she would summon a flock of Zubat. "Secc! Secc, look, they're Eeeveelutions!"
The extra E might or might not be on purpose, but I'm pointing it out in case it isn't. Anyway, this whole scene is cute, but I do think I would have liked some estimate of the kids' ages somewhere?

As Wes rose from his seat, the mayor gestured to the young man beside him. "This is Silva, by the way. He helps me manage the Colosseum and is a close family friend of ours. He'll be helping us with the investigation."
omg it is silvagunner the famous video game soundtrack uploader

"They're not crazy, Wes, they're just...damaged," Rui said.
jared leto joker joke

Rui nodded again and returned her attention to Makuhita. "Yeah. I can tell a Pokémon's gender by their aura. Females and males have certain patterns about them...the Bayleef is also a male, by the way. Quilava and Croconaw are female."
rui put all her aura xp into pokemon gender recognition and none into lie detection

"Ha! Just you wait, Lycas. I'll get you."

"I'm sure."
watch out wes shes gonna send you a video with fart reverb sfx in it and then youll be sorry

A voice met her hears,
Typo.

The first one, the red one, looked at her with a smile. She felt her skin crawl at her flank and lunged at her side with her teeth, gnawing away at the sensation. Then she scratched behind her ear, and raised a hind leg to scratch her other side, and -
Was a bit confused with the pronouns here on the first read, although I guess the Quilava hadn't referred to Rui as "she" before this so there's an argument in favor of this actually being unambiguous.

the scars lacing Corconaw's body,
Typo.

---

General Comments (chapterwise)

Chapter 6

At this point, the random events that temporarily kept Wes from leaving Orre started getting kind of old, so I'm retrospectively glad that this was the last one (as getting caught in Pyrite was both a permanent obstacle and previously known risk).

I was kind of confused about the point about the Makuhita being stolen. Initially I thought that Wes didn't have it registered and that's why it'd be suspicious that he had the Makuhita on him, but Wes did have it registered, so... why did he do that if having people know he had that Makuhita was a risk? Did he just think that he'd be leaving anyway and it didn't matter?

Anyway, I have to say that I'm usually bored to death by battles but the snag mechanic here makes it more interesting. I guess that's also what happened with the game, lol.

Before this, I actually hadn't though about the part about actually having Shadow Pokemon at all, but I'm excited for it now, and chapter 10 showed me that we're indeed gonna get Troubled Pokemon With Issues and explore their Troubles and help them have fewer Issues.

I also like how the shadow-ness is described. A lot of it comes already from the way Rui's made to react. None of us knows what the hell a Shadow aura feels like to look at, so there isn't a visceral connection, but when we see someone else have a visceral reaction, we get a better idea of what it's actually like.

Chapter 7

So much for lucky number seven, huh! I don't think I was expecting a disease on top of a nuclear war, but a nuclear war being recent would really raise a lot of questions regarding radiation, so another disaster being more recent makes sense. And since that's a wholly original element, it can lead to wholly original plot developments down the line.

I do have to say, though, that Wes's childhood flashback seemed a little over the top to me. Like Wakin's kind of so terrible and villainous that it feels cartoony. I mean, yeah, it can be colored by Wes's perception, but still. He is supposed to be an intimidating figure.

Chapter 8 & 9

I didn't actually find myself with any general notes about Chapter 8, besides maybe the fact that I initially speculated the deal in "The Deal" was gonna be greenhair man selling Wes out, but even that's really more about Chapter 9. Well, let's just talk about Chapter 9, then.

Like said, I'm glad there's now a good, story-long reason for Wes to stay in Orre so that the rest of the story can happen. Being able to work together with the cops now rather than needing to avoid them also gives some room to breathe.

It was at this chapter that I realized that lie detection was probably never meant to be part of aura abilities and I just made that up on my own because I was used to it. Whoops.

Chapter 10

Looking up what all the stuff in this story looked like in the game is so weird - I usually remember only a little part or none of it, but all of it still feels consistent with my other memories so it kinda feels like I'm looking at some game adapted from the story rather than the other way around. I don't know if that makes sense, but neither does this feeling, really. It's just kind of cool.

I was very excited to get to see more shadowmon interactions, though soon after I got worried because the Quilava's perspective was specifically something I was hoping against. I didn't know yet at that point that we'd get multiple shadowmon POVs, so I was afraid that they'd all be "victims" like her that considered the shadow part a "dark monster" that was distinctly not part of them. To me (and this is kind of blunt, sorry), it's just the least creative way of approaching the concept of someone with an "evil" affliction and requires the least amount of effort to write as the "good" and "evil" sides are separate and the grays inbetween do not have to be explored. The struggle for control can also be used as an excuse not to give the character any other personality.

However, when we got to the Croconaw, I was very relieved because she specifically disproved a lot of doubts I had. She has a very clear personality, and it works in tandem with the shadowness - it feels like if you took either away, you'd still have clear traits from both. Unlike the Quilava, she doesn't even seem to recognize the darkness as a separate thing.

I'd honestly say that Quilava is elevated as a character by the larger context that the Croconaw's POV creates. She becomes a representation of one type of shadowmon out of a larger, more diverse group, and we get a better idea of what her experiences might be like through seeing how other mon are affected. Given that the two mon are opposites in personality, it also promises some interesting character interactions - not just between these two, but with the rest of the cast as they'll no doubt have to interfere.

I was also kind of glad to see a shadowmon that would simply attack his new trainers. So far it had felt a little easy with how the other shadowmon responded to them... though it probably would have benefitted Snagem to get them used to switching trainers anyway.

So that's about it for my thoughts! I'm curious to see where the story will go with these new characters. It'll probably be a bit again before I return to this story to avoid burnout, but I'll see you then for Chapter 11 and more.

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
Review of chapters 5-9

Well, I’m back, and this reviewing challenge gave me a good excuse to revisit OSUS– I mean, OSAS.

I remember liking chapters 1-4 quite a bit, but one tiny complaint I had was that the stakes at the start of the story had a bit less impact in contrast to Wes’ fatalist worldview. That, and the pacing started to drag a little at around chapter 4 for being a retread of events from the perspective of the Eons.

Well, from chapter 5 onwards, the plot picks up considerably, and this is where I think the first act truly begins. At first, I thought the Trudly and Folly encounter would just be a retread (and I don’t entirely buy Miror B leaving Wes and co. in the hands of these goons), but as soon as the Makuhita comes into the picture, that’s when it gains a lot more momentum and fights have more stakes.

This only escalates in the next chapter (well gee, I’m sure ‘lockdown’ doesn’t mean anything in a real world context) where Wes not only has to take down a team of shadow Pokemon, we see how berserk these shadow Pokemon get and just how… wrong it is. It especially got interesting when Wes had to use the shadow Makuhita against all the other Pokemon, since I love morally ambiguous situations like this.

And with chapter 7… hoo boy, no wonder Wes is so messed up. I do wish there were more hints of Noctis Mortem earlier on in the story since it seems a little randomly inserted at this point in time (either that or I forgot there were hints from previous chapters). However, I do like this inclusion since it’s an original element as far as I know about the Colosseum games. It gives a bit more justification behind why Orre is so desolate and fractured, and feels a bit more realistic for a setting that’s supposed to be post-apocalyptic. It gives me good NieR vibes.

I don’t have much to say about chapters 8 & 9 since I view them as being part of the same whole, but it was nice to get a change of scenery into a much more dingy location and even when they’re out of action, the sense of uneasiness and lurking danger continues. And going forward, I’m curious to see how this deal will change the course of the story, since this seems like where the second act is going to start.

One criticism I have though is that Wes’ brooding tendencies can be a little much for my tastes, and sometimes, it comes across as if he’s trying too hard to be an anti-hero. Though I also can’t point to a specific example so I’ll chalk it up to preferential gripes rather than a glaring flaw in the story. Plus, Wes does have a good reason for putting up such a front because of how he was raised (I mean, fuck, if I was forced at gunpoint to be this emotionless criminal and not show any vulnerability, I would be too), and he still provides a good contrast with Rui who is more optimistic but nevertheless haunted by her past.

I don’t have much else to comment on since these chapters rectified my issues with the relatively slow start, it fleshed out the backstories for both the main characters even further, and it gave us more wholesome interactions between Wes and his Eons. Looking forward to the next chapters when I get around to them.

Joshthewriter

Charizard Fan
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. charizard
Alright! I said I was here and here I am!

I completely forgot how Colosseum opens. Love how explosive it was (lol). I’m not a massive fan of onomatopoeia, but it’s fine enough.

The action itself is a bit short for my liking. It was almost an afterthought to take down the skarmory, something that should have been absolutely threatening to a lone rider. I see you’ve mentioned that you have edits for this, and I can maybe offer one other improvement (maybe have a small exchange, perhaps the skarmory resisting the psybeam and then getting waylaid by a confuse ray, rather than the skarmory going down without a fight). As it is now, there’s almost no sense of danger at all because the skarmory is such a non-factor.

You’re right that the cut to the nightmare is abrupt. But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If you’re worried or unsatisfied with it, you could maybe add a short little bit of narration that Wes and his pokemon ate and eventually found their way to bed. Could help with some of that abruptness.

I do not like poke-speak. I’ll be upfront about it (I did see you don’t like hearing this kind of thing, I’ll only ever mention something I don’t like once). But, I’ll give credit where it’s due. You do a great job conveying emotion through it, to the point where I can ignore that my headcanon doesn’t use it.

Novo and Neo (both meaning New, wonder if there’s something to that), both shine in the little bit of screen time they get.

My favourite part of this chapter? The tone, the narration, the dialogue, everything works together to just give a great sense that Wes really really really doesn’t like Orre. I’m really glad I started this, because I get the sense that it’s right up my alley (plus, ripping away from an explosion on a motorcycle is the kind of edge that’s gloriously perfect).

Joshthewriter

Charizard Fan
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. charizard
Alright, I’m back! One a day!

Wes’ pokemon being bacon fiends is a hilarious touch, and I love the effortless way you slipped in the worldbuilding that Wes would normally be stealing table scraps if he hadn’t escaped with some money.

I absolutely adore the retro-futurist-western blend that you gave the fic’s aesthetic. And you do it so seamlessly. It’s not you worldbuilding, it’s Wes just watching to see if he’s been made.

I like the tension infused into the “watching Wes’ handiwork” scene. Great job making it clear that he’s done something good, while spelling out just how much of a dystopia Orre is. I don’t remember colo all that well, but authorities making no progress on Snagem for 30 years? That’s not ominous or anything lol.

Willie’s got some balls to challenge a random stranger that already was pretty clear about not wanting anything to do with him. Makes me think he’s suspicious, but you cast doubt on that in the narrative. Seems odd that Wes’ whole-ass metal arm device isn’t suspicious, but that seems to fit the retro-future-western vibe.

Wes is such a clear product of the “90s/00s edgy protagonist“ trend and I frigging love it. Gunning the engine away from a conversation after dropping a line like that is precious lol.

Phenac feels immediately different. You set it up, and deliver upon Wes’ discomfort with it very very well. Honestly I like the juxtaposition of gritty sands with this pristine city.

I also really really like the dynamic of Wes being completely incapable of saying no to his pokemon.

The combat is very very reminiscent of colosseum’s combat animation style while still feeling like it’s dynamic. I honestly think you did a great job with it, loved the tactical mind that Wes displays by actually using a strategy more advanced than “hit it until it’s dead”.

I think it’s also pretty funny that Wes gets himself dragged into a situation where he has to play hero, given his insistence that he isn’t going to do exactly that.

Rui seems… fun, to say the least. She’s an interesting contrast with Wes’ dour worldview. I found it funny how much my thoughts mirrored Wes’ own thoughts on her.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, it’s not quite Nameless, but Review Roulette has spoken and deemed it fit that I take a look at OSAS proper before I go off getting neck-deep into your supplementary materials. So let’s jump right in and see what all the hoopla is about:

Chapter 1

Some would say that "barren" and "Orre" were the same thing.

s / “barren” / “cesspool” and then you’re a bit more accurate. :V

It would only take a brief view of the landscape to see why. The desert region sprawled for miles, seemingly without end, with little to no life in sight. The sun blazed down mercilessly on the copper sands as the winds whistled aimlessly across them. The only sign of life was the occasional tumbleweed that rolled lazily on by.

But there is life, right?

b72dd05180817700dd6d7558ca653138.gif

One thing disrupted the flat expanse: a series of cliffs, tucked away from the sands, which formed a narrow canyon. At this canyon's mouth sat a large building—or, at least, something that barely qualified as one. The structure, though massive, almost looked more like a pile of poorly assembled pipes and scrap metal than an actual building. Like its surroundings, this, too, was a quiet and still place, with only the howling canyon winds to break the silence.

I pulled up the Colosseum intro in the background to cross-reference this, and… yeah, that’s a pretty accurate description. Will make a mental note to self that whatever’s described here generally tracks whatever’s depicted in the games, but it’s a nice touch.

It wouldn't be quiet for long.

BOOOOM!

Is said pile of pipes and scrap metal even going to exist past the next paragraph? ^^;

An earth-rending explosion shattered the stillness. Flames burst from a section of the dilapidated building, followed shortly by screams. People in dark uniforms emerged from the blazing building, their faces masks of panic and confusion. Among the chaos, no one seemed to notice one person in particular dashing away from the scene, with two Pokémon sprinting at his side.

"Go, go, GO!" the young man shouted at his companions as he raced for a beat-up motorcycle parked on the desert sand. He sprang nimbly onto the seat, revved the engine, and glanced quickly into the sidecar, where his two partners should have been safely seated—only to find his Umbreon watching him tersely.

Novo: “*... Wes, you do realize this would’ve been easier to pull off if we’d waited until night when everyone was asleep, right?*” .-.
Neo: “*Ah, live a little, Novo! We’ve got an intro cinematic to act out! Besides, it’s more fun this way…*”
784725534470963221.png

He glanced over his shoulder and found his Espeon a few yards away, yipping loudly at the people fleeing the burning building, tail waving triumphantly in the air. He didn't speak Pokémon, but the runaway figured if he did, he would be hearing a choice selection of colorful insults.

So, what are the odds of that triumphant tail wave being some variation of the Stadium Flareon taunting animation?
:loltias:

Neo:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfeOFVe6ADw

Novo: “*And that’s why this story isn’t translating our dialogue for the readers.*” ^^;

"Neo, you idiot-"

"Espi-esp, esp, esp! Es-SPI!?" The Espeon's barks cut short in a yap of surprise as his trainer hauled him off his feet and shoved him under one arm. He sprinted back to the motorcycle and dumped the creature rather unceremoniously into the sidecar next to his brother, ignoring the Pokémon's cries of indignation.

Neo: “*Wes! What the hell?! Things were just getting good!*”
:seviAAAAAAAAAAA:

"LEO! I'LL KILL YOU, BOY!"

A terrifying roar of rage sounded from behind the trio, and the trainer turned his head to see his least favorite person in the world: a massive, hulking man with no hair (though he made up for that with an impressive beard and eyebrows), charging straight toward them, his face red and contorted with unfathomable fury. Several others, clad in dark clothing like the rest, flanked him on either side.

Wes: “... I mean, we haven’t been shot at yet during all of this, so he’s probably not armed right now?”
:fearfullaugh~1:

Novo: “*... Neo, keep that Protect or whatever it is you know for a deflecting move ready.*” ._.;

Anger and bitter satisfaction alike swelled inside the trainer's chest. He faced his now-former boss with a growl.

"If you're going to threaten me," he said, "call me by my real name." He sneered. "It's Wes, by the way. In case you forgot."

Neo: “*... Wait, but I thought your name was ‘Leo’.*”
Novo: “*I thought it was ‘Seth’.*”
Wes: “Look, can you two not get into arguing about my bar aliases right now? Also, it’s a story for an Anglophone audience, so my name’s going to be ‘Wes’, alright?” >_>;
Novo: “*‘Seth’s technically an alternate default name in the English localization, so…*”
696809676133892176.png

Wes: “Novo. It’s ‘Wes’, okay?” >.<

The man roared again, this time too incensed to form any words. He barreled toward the trainer and his Pokémon with a murderous expression, but this wasn't Wes' main cause of concern: a flash of light emerged from a Pokéball at the man's belt and took the shape of a metallic bird. The Pokémon spread its wings, emitted a blood-curdling screech, and took to the sky.

It was time to go.

Neo: “*Eh, it’s just a Skarmory. All we’ve gotta do is zap or fry it and we’ll be in the clear!*” ^^;
Novo: “*Neo, do we even know any Fire or Electric-type moves?*”
635766721990361098.png

Neo: “...”
:uhhh:

The motorcycle engine started with a roar, and in one smooth motion, Wes swept astride the motorcycle. He raised his left arm high above his head, sunlight glinting off a strange metal contraption that encased it. Holding a small remote in his hand, he looked his boss dead in the eye, smirked, and pressed the button.

KA-BOOOM!

Neo: “*And this is why we’re doing this in the middle of the day. Try and tell me with a straight face that that wasn’t totally badass, Novo.*”
784725534470963221.png

The second explosion was, if possible, even more impressive than the first, and nearly knocked every bystander off their feet. The giant man's bellows of rage were drowned out by a monstrous roar as the motorcycle kicked into gear. Its rider slammed on the gas and he launched the bike forward, narrowly missing a dive-bomb from the enraged Skarmory, and soon the crowd of people were left in the dust.

Novo: “*Talk about your close shaves. I still say we could’ve done this at night while everyone was asleep.*”
:sweats:

Skarmory flew overhead, shrieking horribly as it gave chase. Wes shouted a command to his Pokémon, but he needn't have bothered—his Espeon had already charged up a Psybeam and fired it at his foe.

A metallic clang followed by another agonized screech told Wes that the Psybeam hit its mark. He glanced over his shoulder to see the bird tumbling out of the sky and down to the sands below.

I know that you made a note about how taking Skarmory down with a Psybeam is a bit of a meme and you didn’t want reviewers harping on it too hard, but honestly even with the poor type matchup, I think you’re like two or three sequences of added detail away from everything currently in this sequence making perfect sense since…

7ef.jpg

Wes is on his unholy abomination of a motorcycle and picking up speed. His winning condition isn’t necessarily to defeat Skarmory, it’s ultimately to stall it long enough to floor the accelerator and get too far away going too fast for Skarmory to catch up, even if it’s with a not terribly effective attack.

To that end, a well-placed Psybeam at the equivalent of a carpal joint, or in Skarmory’s case considering its anatomy, the base of one of its wings, would mess with its flight and make it lose balance/altitude. Same principle as a leg sweep, but for a flier. Do that while Skarmory’s flying low enough, like say… during the middle of an attempted dive to attack, and it’ll hit the ground before it can even out in the air.

By the time Skarmory rolls to a stop on the desert floor and gets reoriented assuming it’s still in fighting condition afterwards, Wes is likely far enough away and going fast enough that it can’t really do anything other than make salty, angry Skarmory noises and the equivalent of a fist shake as Wes rides off with his cats into the sunset.

Some food for thought if you have second thoughts about that Confuse Ray route you’re planning on dropping in in the future, anyways.

He laughed and let out a whoop of celebration, his companions joining in with triumphant cries, and the trio plowed through the desert until the base and its inhabitants were long out of sight.

Neo: “*Ha ha! Suck it, stupid bird-!*”
Novo: “*Neo, be professional. We’ve got another scene coming up.*” >_>;

The sun was sinking below the horizon and the temperatures had started to drop by the time their destination came into view: an old, rusty, seemingly abandoned train car. Near the door, a wooden sign swung lazily in the desert breeze. On its face, it read: OUTSKIRT STAND. The crusty thing had been converted into a diner, and though it wasn't much to look at, it was a place Wes was familiar with. Most importantly, it was a place where they would be safe for the night.

He hoped.

Translation: you won’t be safe there for the night if you have to ask yourself the question.

The motorcycle puttered to a halt as Wes pulled up to the establishment. Dim lights shone through the train car windows as old Western music hummed from an outdoor speaker. Wes stood and stretched his limbs—speeding through the desert for hours did his joints no favors—as his Pokémon followed suit, leaping nimbly from the vehicle and stretching their lithe bodies.

Novo: “*Hey, I’m feeling limber right now.*”
Wes: “Yeah, yeah, great for you. I wasn’t the one sitting in the sidecar that was roomy and comfy for my body.” >_>;

"All right, who's hungry?" He pushed his mirrored goggles off his face and into his sandy hair, revealing a pair of golden-colored eyes, and grinned at the two Eeveelutions. His Umbreon gave a yip of hearty affirmation. His Espeon, on the other hand, squinted at him, then sniffed airily and turned his head away from his trainer.

Wes: “I mean, we should probably be a bit more worried about Team Snagem tailing us, but… meh. We’ve got a decent enough head start on ‘em to kick back for a while.”
:joltyshrug~1:

"Spi."

Wes heaved a weary sigh. He crouched down in front of his Espeon to be eye level with him despite the fact that the Pokémon was pointedly avoiding his gaze. "Neo. Is this about me manhandling you back there?"

Neo: “*Gee, what do you think there, buster?*” >:|

The Pokémon, Neo, irritably flicked his tail in response.

Yeah, I figured.
:loltias:

Another sigh. "Look, I'm sorry. But there's a time and a place for gloating over a victory, and doing so while escaping from an exploding building is not it."

Neo: “*No, no, that’s exactly the time and place when you want to stop and gloat about your victories-*” >_>;
Novo: “*Neo, let Wes finish his point first before backtalking.*” -_-;

Neo flicked his ears back and looked at the ground, looking slightly abashed. "Esp." He then looked back up at his trainer with a small glare. "Espi-esp!"

"I know, I shouldn't have been so rough. I'm sorry, bud, really. How can I make it up to you?" Wes glanced at the Outskirt Stand, then back at his Pokémon with a sly grin. "How about I get you a whole plate of bacon and we call it even. Truce?"

Neo's eyes grew wide and he leaped to his feet. "Es-PI!" He waved his tail excitedly in the air, all injuries to his pride forgotten.

Neo’s blood cholesterol numbers must be stratospheric if he gets that sort of treat on anything approaching a regular basis. ^^;

"Bri!" There was a reproachful bark from the Umbreon.

Wes rolled his eyes, but was still grinning despite himself. "Fine, fine, bacon for everybody. Don't get used to it though, you hear? This is a one-time deal."

Novo’s too for that matter.

He wasn't sure if they heard the last line, as they were already bounding excitedly to the entrance of the train car. Wes snorted in exasperated amusement, then followed his companions into the warmth of the diner.

This is absolutely not going to be the last time those two get a plate full of bacon, I can tell. I’m pretty sure this wasn’t the first time that it’s happened either.

[ ] Muffled cries, the screams of Pokémon, a child sobbing quietly in a corner - images and sounds flickered and blurred together, one coming right after the other as if in a disorganized photo reel.

A flicker, and there was a dark room, in which a child was sobbing over the limp form of a Pokémon's body. He looked up, tear-stained face twisted with anger. "This is YOUR FAULT!" he screamed.

I know that you mentioned the lack of a transition going into this dream sequence is another meme criticism that you get, but honestly, I don’t think you need to add a whole lot to even things out. Something as quick and dirty as: “It was the same dream again…” as a standalone paragraph at the very start would already set the stage that we’ve exited real life and into someone’s memories.

The scene dissolved into darkness, and a man's husky, menacing voice spoke in a snarl. "It's time you learned this lesson, boy."

Another shift, another dark room littered with Pokémon lying ominously still, limbs splayed out in awkward angles—and there was another voice, a kinder voice, accompanied by a sad, tired smile.

"Do good, kid."

Well that got really ominous really fast. Wonder who figures 1 and 2 from this dream sequence were.

He sat bolt upright with a gasp, drenched in sweat and shivering. Breathing heavily, he glanced around the room. It took a moment to remember where he was: Outskirt Stand. The diner cellar. A night's stay in the musty place, where he and his Pokémon would be hidden from prying eyes.

Safe.

bender-laughing.gif

I do wonder if you should’ve hard-separated the end of the dream sequence from Wes snapping back to reality with a scene cut. Perhaps it’s just bias from me watching a ton of media handling the end of dreams with scene cuts, but the two feel different enough in setting in premise to consider something similar here.

"Dammit—" He buried his face in his trembling hands. Again, he thought shakily. Again. When in Arceus' name will they stop?

Never. That’s PTSD for you, Wes. Scars like those fade and can be managed, but they never fully go away.

He felt a gentle nudge at his arm, and raised his head to see his Umbreon looking up at him with wide, concerned eyes. "Umbri?" The markings on his coat glowed softly, gently illuminating the dark, dusty cellar.

Wes: “... Wait, how much of that did you see again, Novo?” ._.;

Wes forced a feeble smile and placed a hand on the sleek black head. "I'm okay, Novo. Just some more bad dreams, is all." Beside him, Neo stirred and stretched out his legs before relaxing back into sleep with a gentle purr.

Novo: “*Neo, are you serious right now?*” >:|
Neo: “*... Yes? Not everyone’s a creature of the night like you, Novo. Besides, I’m sure Wes will sleep things off.*” ^^;

Novo, unconvinced, bunted into his arm again with his head. He placed a paw on his trainer's lap, giving him a stern stare.

"I know it'll help, bud, but I've got to be able to sleep on my own sometime." Wes closed his eyes briefly. He was exhausted, and yet returning to sleep would undoubtedly mean more nightmares, more voices, more things he'd rather forget...he opened his eyes again and looked at his Umbreon. "All right...just one more night," he said wearily.

Narrator: “It will absolutely not be just one more night.”

Novo purred in response and brushed his face against Wes' shoulder. The two sat in silence for a moment, Novo leaning into him as Wes stroked the Umbreon's sleek black fur. He paused at Novo's left side, fingers brushing at old scars that he knew were still there, despite the fact that they were nearly invisible under the dark coat.

Novo: “*... Um, Wes? Can you stop that? Pretty sure that most people and Pokémon find it awkward as hell to have their scars poked and prodded at.*” ^^;
Wes: “Look, I’m trying to be reassuring here, and I frankly need this right now, Novo.” >_>;

More memories flashed through Wes' mind, and he couldn't suppress the shiver that followed. Novo, sensing his trainer's distress, chirped and brushed against him again. Wes sighed and finally laid back down in his sleeping bag, closing his eyes. His Umbreon touched his nose to his forehead and purred gently, using Hypnosis.

Oh yeah, that’s totally a healthy to get some sleep. Not that I can’t deny that it’s effective.

Just before drifting off to a dreamless sleep, Wes had one last coherent thought.

The sooner we leave this region, the better.

Careful what you wish for there, Wes. Though I suppose he gets his wish in the long run if you’re sticking with canon since… yeah, something had to happen with Wes and Rui for Michael to take center stage in XD with those two being nowhere to be seen.

And moving right along into Chapter 2, since that was honestly a pretty gripping Chapter 1, but a wee bit short for me to turn that in for Review Roulette in good conscience. In a separate post, since I'd like to keep more of the image embeds.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Chapter 2

Wes was awakened the following morning by the sound of footsteps and chatter from the diner overhead. He sat up, stretched, and was slowly gathering his bearings when a familiar smell wafted to his nose...

Bacon.

He groaned. "Aw, hell—"

"ESPI!"

Whelp, so much for that being the last plate of bacon Neo and Novo got. :V

He was pushed flat on his back as his Espeon leaped at him, eyes wide, tail wagging in excitement. "Espi! Epsi, espi, espi, espi, espi!"

"No
, Neo." Wes shoved the Pokémon off of him with a grumble. "I gave you and Novo plenty of bacon last night. One-time deal, remember?"

iu

Neo: “*Come on, Wes. It’s right there just above us. You know you want it too…*”
784725534470963221.png

At the sound of his name and "bacon" being used in the same sentence, the Umbreon lifted his head and yawned. "Umbri?" He pricked his ears forward and gave his trainer a hopeful look.

Novo: “*I heard there was bacon?*”
701473266472190013.png

Wes: “... Dammit, just how sensitive are your ears?” >.<
Novo: “*We’re modeled after cats in this story. You do the math, Wes.*”

"I said no, guys." He donned a teal trench coat that fell past his knees and began to pack up his belongings, pausing only to give them a stern look. "Last night was a special treat, but today we have to get on the road as quickly as possible, which means nothing fancy for breakfast. And that's final."

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Naturally, not ten minutes later, he found himself sitting across from his Pokémon in the diner, watching them each chow down a fresh plate of bacon.

Yeah, I thought so.
868180567500415046.png

Kinda wonder if it’d have been funnier with a hard scene cut as like a Giligan Cut moment.

Despite all his griping, he did relish the opportunity to spoil his partners. Bacon—or any decent food, for that matter—was hard to come by, and therefore was practically a delicacy. Under normal circumstances, he would have had to resort to swiping table scraps for all three of them, but thanks to the cash he'd snatched from the hideout, he could afford to dote on his Pokémon just a little. After yesterday, he figured they deserved it anyway.

Filing that one away for the future, though given that Orre canonically has nil for wild Pokémon populations… yeah, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if it had nil for most other forms of wild flora and fauna, which kinda crimps food availability a bit.

The diner was just as shabby on the inside as it was outside. Still, there was a home[Bl[/B]y feel about the place, peeling wallpaper and rusty metal windows notwithstanding. The smells of various breakfast foods drifted through the air while the signature Western music played quietly in the background. On the wall across from where they sat was a flatscreen TV, arguably the most modern thing about the place. It was showing some old, obscure cartoon that nobody seemed to be watching.

I fired up the Bulbapedia page for Outskirt Stand and… huh, they really do have a shockingly swanky TV in that rust bucket canonically. Wonder who the proprietor had to kill to get that one.

Through the grimy window next to their booth, Wes could see two men laughing and talking amongst themselves, seemingly rejuvenated after a hearty meal. They continued laughing as they entered their vehicle—an old hover truck of some sort. Neo paused from his feast to watch them intently, his ears pricked forward, eyes trained on a large burlap sack that rested in the truck bed. His gaze remained steadfastly fixed on them, and he only returned his attention to his plate after they drove away and out of sight.

Ohai, Rui. Or at least I’m pretty sure that that’s Rui from what I remember of Colosseum.

Neo: “*Hey, Novo. Is it just me or do you hear muffled screaming right now?*”
Novo: “*Less talk, more bacon. Probably just a desert wind blowing over holes in the roof anyways.*”

Wes, meanwhile, had turned his attention elsewhere. He ate his breakfast quietly while discreetly scanning the occupants of the place. It was relatively empty, with only a middle-aged woman seated up front, dozing quietly in her booth, and a gruff-looking man stretched out at his own booth in the back, face obscured by his cowboy hat. The diner owner could be heard whistling from the kitchen behind the counter at the very front of the train car. No signs of immediate danger, it seemed. Still, he was anxious for them to be on their way.

This part is a bit ambiguous between Wes and the diner owner. You probably want to find some way of phrasing this to more explicitly point at Wes even if you don’t outright namedrop him.

"Here's the plan," he muttered quietly to his Pokémon. They both looked up at him from empty plates, licking the last remnants of bacon grease from their muzzles. "We'll head to Phenac to stock up on supplies, and head straight to Gateon from there. It'll take us a handful of days, but if we only stop for occasional breaks, we should make it in good time. And then, if all goes well, I can get a passport there and we'll be out of Orre. For good."

Oh yeah, that’s totally healthy for the cats there.

Neo: “*... And where are we supposed to go after this again?*”
Novo: “*I vote the regions south of here. Shouldn’t be too hard since I’m pretty sure the language they speak there show up in a decent chunk of the media here. All we need to do is pick names that fit the neighborhood… like Wes would probably make a decent ‘Carlo’-*”
Wes: “Novo, you’re not allowed to make new suggestions for a while. (Seriously, lighten up on the localization jokes.)” >_>;

Those last two words felt like a breath of fresh air to him. They were so close now, he could almost taste it. Soon, very soon, they would be rid of this disease-ridden, Arceus-forsaken desert, and they would be free.

Okay, granted, I’m spoiled on where the underlined is going, but that’s definitely something different from most depictions of Orre in this fandom.

Novo: “*... ‘Disease-ridden’? Where’s that coming from again?*”
Neo: “*I mean, we are in an Arizona stand-in. Bubonic plague is just chilling around in the wildlife.*” ^^;
Novo: “*Neo, there is no meaningful wildlife here!*” >.<
Neo: “*Well, yeah. The disease-ridden part probably ‘helped’ on that front. Especially if it’s that ‘Night Death’ or whatever they call it that was dropping humans by the truckload in the past.*”

Neo chirped softly in agreement while his brother nodded, looking resolute. Wes couldn't help but smile softly and give them each a rub behind the ear. He'd never been much for people, but his partners more than made up for that. As far as he was concerned, there was no need for human company when his Pokémon were far and away better than any humans he'd bothered with.

Wes, I think you need some better friends. Or at least better human friends.

"We bring this breaking news to you live from Eclo Canyon—"

A female reporter's voice blared suddenly from the TV and interrupted his thoughts. He turned his head and felt his chest freeze: raw footage was being displayed on the screen, footage of a familiar metal building, now reduced to shambles and a pile of smoking debris. The diner owner poked his head from the kitchen and, upon seeing the report, grabbed a remote from the counter and cranked up the volume. The woman up front snorted awake at the noise, and soon everyone present was watching intently.

Wes:

Novo: “*... I wouldn’t be so sure about that, Wes. What if someone caught you on camera back there.*” .-.

"Reports of an explosion yesterday have led investigators and authorities to this building, which has now officially been confirmed as the home base for Team Snagem. The scene was already abandoned by the time authorities arrived, and no casualties have been confirmed. The cause of the explosion remains unknown.

"Team Snagem is infamous for its involvement in theft, property destruction, and Pokémon trafficking. Authorities have been unsuccessful in shutting down the organization..."

Wes: “Whelp, didn’t think that I’d ever be on the same side as the cops in life, but hey. First time for everything.”
679183508765147158.png

"Hah!"

Wes gave a start as the gruff man from the back barked out a laugh. "Serves 'em right, the rotten thieves! Shoulda blown the whole lot of 'em away!" He rose to his feet and stretched.

Neo:
3f2.jpeg

Wes: “(I am so glad that we’re not in a setting where people understand Pokémon on a regular basis.)” ^^;

"Aye, I'll level with ya there." The owner nodded approvingly as he spoke, and the woman up front gave a disdainful sniff.

"I don't understand how authorities haven't at least made some progress," she said. "Whoever bombed that shack has done more than they have in thirty years!"

Wow, a law enforcement agency that makes Kantoan police look competent and professional. I mean, I’m not that shocked since it’s Orre, but still.

Wes turned back to his plate and inhaled deeply, willing his heart to stop racing so fast. He glanced uneasily at the metal sleeve that covered his left arm from his shoulder to his wrist. The existence of Snag Machines—particularly this Snag Machine—was not public knowledge, and his identity was safe for now.

Novo: “*... Wes, why are you wearing that in public anyways instead of stashing it on your bike?*” .-.
Wes: “Because it’s Orre and I’d like to not have it stolen while my back’s turned? Where else am I supposed to keep it?” >_>;

At least, it should be...the bartender knew Wes as a regular, but not well enough to be suspicious. And, worst case scenario...Wes reached under his coat and brushed his fingers against the hilt of the knife he kept strapped to his belt. Well, "knife" was bit of a generous term for the thing—it was an old Skarmory feather that he'd strapped to a makeshift hilt. Not exactly the most conventional blade, but it had served its purpose on more than one occasion just fine.

Ah yes, nodding to Pokédex lore there where it’s explicitly mentioned that people once upon a time did this with Skarmory feathers. Nice touch.

The feather itself had come from none other than Gonzap's own Skarmory, and as much as Wes hated that bloodthirsty bird, he felt a strange sense of satisfaction at being able to weaponize part of something that had once terrorized him.

You probably want to give explicit mention somewhere that Gonzap is the leader of Team Snagem, or if you’re deliberately playing things close to your chest on that front, that he’s from Team Snagem. Since the name won’t mean anything to anyone who doesn’t know their Colosseum short of firing up Bulbapedia in a tab.

Yes...he, Neo and Novo had fought their way out of hell once, and they could fight their way out of this place if they needed to. Although, there was no need to resort to violence if it could be avoided. All he needed to do was get moving as quickly as possible—

"Howdy, stranger!" A hand clapped on his shoulder, and he found himself jumping again. Inwardly cursing, he turned his head to see the man from the back now standing beside him, grinning down at him. "Those are some mighty fine Pokémon ya got there!"

Whelp, so much for that brilliant plan.

Wes shrugged off the man's hand and eyed him darkly. "Can I help you?" He growled.

The man chuckled and removed his hat, revealing a surprisingly young-looking face and a head of pink hair—pink hair? He offered a hand to the younger trainer. "Name's Willie. Yours?"

He did not shake his hand. "Wes," he answered curtly.

Neo + Novo:
whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Wes: “Look, what was I supposed to say there?” >_>;
Novo: “*To give an alias like ‘Seth’ or ‘Thomas’ since we’re trying to leave this region?*” >.<
Neo: “*Or ‘Leo’, or ‘Carlo’, or ‘Sandro’...*”
Wes: “(Oi! I thought we agreed to knock it off with the localization gags!)” >:|
Novo: “*(I wasn’t making one! Mine are literally alternate canon names! Seriously, you had to have used an alias sometime in the past back on the old job!)*” >.<

Willie withdrew his hand, though he didn't seem to take any offense from Wes' rudeness. "Mighty fine name. You come to these parts often?"

What did this man want from him? "On occasion," Wes said curtly.

Neo: “*Wes. Seriously, stop talking to the dodgy stranger.*” >_>;

His terse responses must have given Willie a clue, as he stepped back and tipped his hat to him. "Well, pardon me for interruptin' your meal. Was a pleasure meetin' you." He then walked up to the front counter to pay for his meal, then exited the diner.

Wes let out a breath and slowly eased his hold on the knife. He hadn't even realized he'd been gripping it so tightly.

Wes: “Talk about dodging a bullet there.”
:sweats:

Novo: “*Would’ve been easier if you didn’t give out your actual name to the guy.*” >_>;
Neo: “*Relax, Novo. What are the odds we’ll ever see that guy again?*”
- Cue Wes facepalming -
Wes: “Aaaaaand you jinxed us.” >.<

He finished his meal quickly, his senses now on high alert after the newscast. It wouldn't do for them to stay here any longer.

He stepped into the bright sunlight after paying for his meal, then made straight for his motorcycle with Neo and Novo trotting happily on either side. He was halfway there when a shout stopped him in his tracks.

"Hey, stranger! Care for a battle before you go?"

Wes:
bdd.jpg

Neo: “*Oh come on, it’s not the end of the world to have a battle on the way out, right?*”
Novo: “*... Also, I’m not convinced that we’re going to have much of a choice in about five seconds.*” ^^;

Wes turned his head to see Willie leaning up against the diner, a cigarette in his hand and two Zigzagoon at his feet. The sunlight made his bright pink hair even more shocking to look at, and Wes quietly snorted to himself in disbelief. Pink hair. Unbelievable. Not that he had much of a right to mock strange hair color—his own was such a light, platinum blonde, it was often mistaken for silvery white. Still, at least he could blame genetics instead of poor decisions.

Huh, so I see that you didn’t go with anime hair colors for Wes. Filing that one away for the future.

Willie eyed the metal contraption on his arm, but if the stranger thought anything of it, he said nothing. After all, eccentric fashion choices weren't unusual in Orre. The man did, however, squint his eyes a little as he observed the tattoo on Wes' face; a thin white line that went across the bridge of his nose from one cheekbone to the other.

W
es was not unused to strange looks at his face, and while stares in general made him uneasy, he'd learned to shrug it off. Still, he sighed a little at the man's scrutinizing look. Speaking of bad decisions...but no, it was better this way. Tattoo or no, he would have been stared at anyway; his choices had been either a nasty scar or this tattoo to cover it up, and he'd chosen the latter.

… Wait, is that mark on Wes canonically the equivalent of a gang tattoo? Since from the stink-eye this Zigzagoon guy is giving him… .-.

Though I would recommend hacking that paragraph you have there into two, since it’s effectively two separate things thematically. Zigzagoon dude’s reaction to Wes, and Wes’ backstory about his appearance.

Wes looked back at the man and shook his head. "No. We have somewhere to be—"

"Aw, don't be like that! We can make it quick." Willie gestured to his Pokémon. "They could really use the training, see."

Wes: “If you don’t get out of my way in five seconds, I swear to gods…” >_>;
Neo: “*No, no. Let’s hear the man out for a moment, Wes.*”

Novo perked up his ears, and Neo flicked his tail, eyes gleaming with excitement. Wes supposed it had been a while since they'd had a chance to battle—properly, anyway. He figured battling while on the job for Snagem hadn't really counted, considering the main goal had been thievery and not victory.

de7.png

But—no. He couldn't afford to waste time, not with Snagem at his heels, and especially not after that broadcast. The clock was ticking.

"I said no," Wes said a little more forcefully. "We don't have time for a battle. Sorry."

Wow. Wes actually being rational and not giving into the cats here like he did with the bacon. Even if I’m pretty sure that his decision is going to be moot in short order.

Willie looked disappointed, but he merely shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, can't be helped, I s'pose. You in a hurry, then?"

"Yes." Wes hopped on his vehicle and turned to face the man as his Pokémon followed behind. He noticed Neo glancing back at the Zigzagoon over his shoulder and walking with a particular swagger, as if attempting to flaunt his superiority to his would-be foes.

Show-off.

Neo: “*Come on, Wes. You know you wanna…*”
Wes: “(Neo, no.)” >_>;

Novo remained calm and stoic as ever, faithfully watching his trainer for any commands as he settled next to his brother with a dignified air.

"Do you know the fastest route to Phenac from here?" Wes asked Willie.

Novo: “*... Did we seriously not steal a map or working GPS on our way out of blowing the Team Snagem base to kingdom come?*” .-.
Neo: “*I mean, we might have gotten spotted by snarling thugs not long after making our way into their cashbox and had to leg it in a hurry, so… maybe?*”
696809676133892176.png

"Phenac, eh? You gonna take on the Pre-Gym there? You certainly look tough enough." When Wes didn't reply, he shrugged and pointed the way. "Head that direction and you'll be there by early afternoon. It's mostly a straight shot."

Kiiiiinda wonder if this should’ve been more explicit such as pointing at some sort of landmark or explicitly mentioning some sort of cardinal direction, since it’s admittedly a little hard to visualize.

Wes nodded his thanks. He was about to start his motorcycle when a thought occurred to him, and he turned back to the other trainer. "Hey."

"Yeah?" Willie grinned at him again. Such open friendliness from a total stranger. He was far too naive for this place.

Wes, you do realize that the alternative scenario is that this is all an act to get your guard down, right?

"You should be more careful about who you challenge to battle. Your Pokémon are easy targets, and there are still plenty of Snaggers out there." He pulled his goggles over his eyes and gripped the handlebars tightly with gloved hands. "Don't pick fights you have no chance of winning." With that, the motorcycle roared to life and he drove off, leaving a bemused trainer in his wake.

Novo: “*Wes, why would you volunteer that?!*” >.<
Wes: “What, am I seriously not allowed to give helpful advice?”
:eltywtf:

Novo: “*Not like that! Thank goodness we’re never going to see that guy again after this…*” >_>;

Phenac City was often referred to as "the jewel of the desert", and it was easy to see why. Laid out in a circular pattern, with the tallest buildings at the northernmost top of the circle, the city gleamed with white stone and crystalline waterfalls flowing along the streets. The desert sun reflected off the sparkling water and white structures, making it blindingly bright to look at.

To Wes, it was a literal eyesore.

I mean, would you rather that it look like IRL!Phoenix where it’s a bunch of bland, soulless corporate boxes downtown and box stores and tract homes radiating for miles in each direction past it?
679183508765147158.png

Perhaps he simply wasn't used to such pristine buildings and clean streets. His life had consisted of dirt, sweat, and rust, and none of those things seemed to belong in such a perfect place as Phenac. Plus, there was an air of false grandeur about the place that repulsed him, particularly in the way its citizens liked to flaunt Pokémon as symbols of status. Snagem may have shipped stolen Pokémon around like merchandise, but in Wes' opinion, Phenac was hardly any better. He'd preferred to avoid it on his previous missions if he could help it, but today's errands made it a necessary destination.

Wow, I have negative sympathy for this place already. Congrats on priming the audience like that, since it sets the stage for this place to have some shady stuff go down.

We won't be here for long, Wes told himself as he and his partners walked to the city gate. Just head to the market, grab supplies, and get back on the road. In and out. Simple.

Preeeeeety sure you’re jinxing yourself in live-time, Wes. But you do you.

The desert winds billowed the tails of his blue trench coat behind him as he, Neo, and Novo approached the city gate. Neo swatted playfully at the swaying fabric before bounding ahead to be at the front of the group, where he usually preferred to be.

They had just stepped through the entrance and started their way to the center of town when Wes saw the Espeon stop dead in his tracks. He didn't think much of it and continued walking; random things caught Neo's attention all the time. He did stop, however, when he heard a soft, alarmed chirp behind him. "Spi!"

Wes: “Oh no, please tell me we didn’t pass a diner serving bacon again.”
:grohno~1:

Wes glanced over his shoulder to see his Espeon standing stiffly, fur on end. He was facing away from his trainer, ears forward, eyes focused on two men in the shadows near the city wall. They were hefting a large burlap sack between them, and were muttering under their breath, glancing about warily.

Oh, so it is Rui there.

Wes: “... Wait, is that the same burlap sack we saw back at the-?” .-.
Neo: “*Yes, that’s why I’m pointing it out, Wes.*” >_>;

"Neo?" Wes asked quietly. He approached his Pokémon and knelt beside him, Novo close behind. "What's wrong?"

"Espi." Neo looked at Wes with wide eyes, then back at the men in the shadows. "Esp!"

Neo: “*Also, I’m pretty sure there really is muffled screaming coming from that bag right now.*”

Wes observed the pair with narrowed eyes. He vaguely recognized the truck parked against the wall and remembered seeing it briefly at the Outskirt Stand. He gave Neo a questioning look. The Espeon continued to stare forward, body rigid, and growled softly.

Perhaps it was obvious, or maybe Wes' personal history had taught him the signs; either way, it was clear to him that these men were not up to anything wholesome, and everything about their demeanor screamed, "shady business."

Neo: “*... Novo, how are you just completely unbothered by this and not reacting right now?*”
:what:

Novo: “*Because we live in Orre and stuff like this happens every Tuesday for us?*”

He got to his feet with a sigh and turned away. "Not our business, bud. We're here to get away from those kinds of people, remember?"

I mean I was joking about the ‘every Tuesday’ part, but yeah. I kinda figured that that’s where things were going here.

"Es-piiii!" He felt teeth tugging at the hem of his pants and saw Neo gripping the black fabric in his mouth, looking up at him with a pleading expression.

"What's the matter with you?" Wes asked irritably. Since when had his Espeon developed such a strong moral compass? "We can't stop every shady person in town. Leave that to authorities or something. Let's go."

Neo: “*Look Wes, I’m pretty sure that whoever’s in that bag is psychic or something like that. Point is, you don’t want to just leave them.*” >_>;
Wes: “... And how do you know this again?” .-.
Neo: “*One, we’re in a Colosseum novelization. Two, I’m Psychic, so I have a mind for these things.*”

"Bri, umbri." This time Novo chimed in, looking up at his trainer with urgency.

Neo: “*Oh, so now you react, Novo.*”

Novo: “*I mean, I just remembered that this is the part of the story where we’re supposed to get a partner for Wes, and with that burlap sack that just conveniently came back again after we briefly saw it at the diner…*”
696809676133892176.png

Wes: “... Is it healthy to violate the fourth wall that casually, Novo?” .-.

"Both of you, now?" Exasperated, Wes turned one last look at the suspicious men. They had set down the sack and now appeared to be quietly arguing with one another—but they weren't the ones who held his attention this time.

The burlap sack was moving.

Neo: “*Come on, Wes. You know you’re not going to live with yourself if you just leave whoever’s in there to suffer.*”
Novo: “*Also, I’m pretty sure we need whoever’s in there to advance the plot.*” ^^;

"Oh, for Arceus' sake." He ran a hand through his sandy hair and looked down at Neo and Novo. "What, they have a Pokémon or something?" Neo's tail lashed, and Novo flattened his ears against his head. He frowned at them. "Not a Pokémon? Then what...?"

Oh.

Wes: “I’m sorry, why do I care again when I very explicitly stated that I got along better with Pokémon than humans in this region?” >_>;

He looked at the sack again. Whatever—no, whoever—was in the sack was struggling fiercely, which prompted a bark and a kick from one of the men.

Wes: “...”
701085210766344223.png

Neo: “*Uh, yeah. This is why we should intervene, Wes.*”

Merciful Arceus, he thought. Kidnappers? In broad daylight? In Phenac City, no less? Even for Orre's standards, it was rather bold. He glanced back at his distressed Pokémon and sighed. They had come here for a pit stop, nothing more. They had a long road ahead, a city to get to, an unforgiving region to leave behind forever. He had absolutely no obligation to interfere in what was clearly a messy situation, especially considering they were in enough hot water as it was.

Let someone else handle it, he thought. Preferably someone who didn't have an entire gang of thugs out for their blood.

"Not our business," Wes said again, and turned away. "Let's go."

Neo + Novo:
IMG_2140.gif

Wes: “... You two are just going to hound me until I step in and do something, huh?” -_-;
Neo + Novo:
589897202890047522.png

He only made it two steps before Neo sprang in front of him, fur bristling, giving his trainer a hard, burning stare. Novo stood cautiously at Wes' side; Wes knew the Umbreon would go along with whatever plan his trainer thought best, especially if it was the safer route. Neo, however, seemed to have his own agenda at the moment.

"Move."

"Esp."

Novo: “*For the record, you do want the human in that sack, Wes. But… I admittedly would be open to regrouping and considering our options a bit before blindly charging into a 2v1.*” ^^;

The two glared each other down for a moment, Novo glancing between them. Wes had all but made up his mind to return Neo to his Pokéball when his brother stepped forward, cautiously moving between them, and looked intently into Wes' eyes.

That actually makes me wonder if Espeon and Umbreon in the games will railroad you like this if you try to ignore Rui and go on with your life, or if that’s something you cooked up as part of this novelization.

"Oh, for the love of—" Wes turned on his heel and made his way towards the old hover truck, swearing under his breath. "Fine." His every instinct screamed at him to walk away and to never think about those men again, and as much as he wanted to listen, he couldn't bring himself to say no to the pleading stares of his Pokémon. "This is the only time, got it? Don't make me pretend to be some hero."

Oh, so they really are doing the Puss in Boots face right now. Though this is absolutely not going to be the only time that you get roped into these heroics, Wes. Just like it absolutely won’t be the last time that you spike your cats’ cholesterol levels from letting them binge on bacon. :V

Neo and Novo chirped and strode eagerly at his heels.

Wes could hear their conversation as he approached. "Wha' do you mean, take a rest? We're almost there!"

"I'm tired, man. An' shouldn't we bunker down till nightfall anyhow? This lil scrap ain't making it easy for us, and I don't want to cause no scene." The second man glared down at the wriggling sack.

748926129339105330.png

I mean, I know that this is what happens canonically, but you have a sack wriggling about in an open space. This is literally the definition of causing a scene.

"I'll cause a scene!" The first man snarled. His eyes were shielded by his own pair of sunglasses, and some blonde hair could be seen poking out from under his dark beanie. "We're gonna cash in on this haul today, an' I don't care how tired you are! I ain't keeping this extra baggage longer than I have to!"

"Pipe down, Trudly!" his partner hissed. "We can't go around shoutin' our business, someone might hear us—"

"Someone like me, for instance?"

Folly: “... Too late.” >.<

The pair whipped around to find Wes standing a few yards away, arms folded, his companions at his side. The first man, Trudly, addressed him in a low growl.

"Listen, kid, I dunno what you heard, but you best keep to your own business if you know what's good for you."

Wes raised an eyebrow. "Very scary. Consider me intimidated."

And then the pair pulled out Glocks and casually mowed Wes down-

Neo: “*Those two were literally talking about getting a payday for a kidnapping. In public. Do you seriously expect us to believe that they’re competent enough to go around armed?*”
635766721990361098.png

Novo: “*Also, it’d kinda be a bad novelization for things to end in the second chapter, so…*”
701473266472190013.png

Trudly snarled and took a step forward, but his partner reached out an arm and stopped him. "Ain't nothin to see here, stranger. We're just delivery men doin' our route. Now get gone." He glared at Wes through a pair of orange goggles that matched the absurd color of his hair.

Wes: “Could you have told any more transparent of a lie right now?”

Trudly: “Could you have taken any less of a hint to piss off, kid?”
826550123924029450.png

"Funny, I don't recall people being a common delivery item," Wes remarked. Both of the men paled. "Would your 'route' happen to include some sort of human trafficking ring?"

The sack wriggled again, and this time muffled shouts could be heard coming from inside. The second man swore vehemently and gave the bag another kick, producing a yelp from their captive. "Damn it all," he spat at Wes, "You just had to stick your nose where it don't belong! We'll make you sorry, boy!"

Wes: “You do realize that you were doing this in a public space of the biggest city in this region, right?”
:eltyunamused:

Trudly: “And you realize that you didn’t get the hint through your thick skull to leave. Now you’re gonna find out what happens when you don’t listen!
749495558963724339.png

He stepped forward and summoned his Pokémon in a flash of white light. Two Whismur hopped forward, tensed for battle. Despite their readiness to fight, it was hard to find the pink, rotund things menacing. Wes snorted. "Is that all you got?"

"You cocky little—" The trainer's lip curled, and he bellowed at his Whismur. "UPROAR!"

Oh well that wasn’t expected… and is almost certainly going to draw a ton of public attention from how loud that move is.

"Neo, Novo, charge up!" Wes barely had time to give the command before the opposing Pokémon launched their assault. The brothers responded immediately to the veiled phrase, having executed it hundreds of times before.

Neo's forehead jewel gleamed, and a silvery Protect shield formed around him, blocking the Whismurs' attacks completely. Novo, however, braced himself and took the hit - he tumbled backwards, then scrambled back to his feet and howled. Neo's fur bristled and his eyes gleamed as he gained strength from his brother's Helping Hand.

Huh. Clever party trick there. Though it makes sense that trainers would wind up coming up with shorthand names for certain combinations that they use frequently. Especially in contexts where they don’t want their foes to get wise to what they’re doing.

"Neo, Confusion! Novo, Bite!"

They lunged forward. The opposing trainer bellowed commands, and both Whismur hurled themselves at the empowered Espeon. Novo intercepted a Headbutt from one, staggered briefly, then returned a fierce Bite, fangs tearing into the pink Pokémon. The Whismur's battle cries turned to shrieks as the Umbreon flung his opponent and sent it rolling through the dirt. The second Whismur failed to reach Neo before it, too, was sent flying from his Confusion attack.

Folly: “C-Come on, you two! Get it together! You can’t let some kid with a pair of cats whip you like this!” O_O;
Wes: “You have no idea who I am, do you?”

"Switch!" Wes' voice sounded from behind.

In a synchronized motion, Neo and Novo gracefully moved across the white stones, each one targeting the others' former opponents. The Whismur struggled to their feet as their trainer called for another Uproar. The resulting attack screamed through the air, piercing their foes' ears, but it hardly mattered - the Espeon and Umbreon were already upon them. With a final Bite and Confusion, the Eeveelutions sent their foes tumbling backwards. The Whismur rolled to a stop at their trainer's feet, and this time they didn't get back up.

Folly: “...”
916590486356131850.png

Wes: “So. Do you feel lucky, punk?” >:|

"HAH?!" Trudly roared in fury at his partner, who stood frozen in shock. "Was that the best you could do against some scrap off the street? You're an embarrassment!"

Wes: “... Have you seriously just been standing here this whole time armchair refereeing instead of attempting to help your partner?” -_-;
Trudly: “Yes, and? That’s what happens canonically, so what’s it to ya?”

"You're no better," replied Wes dryly. Neo and Novo trotted triumphantly back to him, and he crouched down to rub their ears. Trudly spat a colorful insult at him in response.

"What do we do, Trudly?" The orange-haired man's eyes were wide with fear as he returned his Pokémon and addressed his partner. "M-maybe we should run—"

"Shut your trap, Folly! Don't throw around my name here! We can't have everybody knowin' who we are!"

"...but you just said my name!"

Wes: “I’m starting to understand how these two were dense enough to just openly lug around a kidnapping victim in a burlap sack in the middle of the biggest city of Orre.” -_-;

Trudly blanched. "Aw, hell—"

"What in Arceus' name is going on here?" A female voice drew everyone's attention. A middle-aged woman stood a cautious distance away, watching the scene with frightened eyes. A young man in jogging gear walked up beside her, frowning.

"I'd like to know that myself!" he said.

I warned you about that Uproar, bro.

Wes stood, staring Trudly and Folly in the eyes as he responded to the people behind him. "These guys are kidnappers," he said simply. "And thought they could get away with it."

"What?" The woman cried. "Do you mean—are you sure—oh!" She gasped in horror at the sight of the still wriggling sack.

Wes: “Aaaand that would explain why nobody bothered to stop these two earlier.”

Novo: “*I mean, when an entire region goes ‘nope, not my problem’...*”

Folly swore loudly and grabbed Trudly by the arm, hauling him towards the hover truck. "Time to bail, man!" He glowered at Wes, who returned his gaze nonchalantly. "I'll remember you, kid!"

Wes smirked. "Aw, how cute."

Wes: “... Wait, how are you even going to get away from here right now-?”
:what:

The men broke into a sprint and hopped into their truck. The young athlete yelled and started forward, but he only made it a few steps before the truck roared alive and hauled away, plowing recklessly to the city entrance. He turned to Wes in frustration. "We—we have to stop them!"

Wes shook his head. "They'll be long gone by the time we can give chase. No point in that."

I kinda wonder if there should’ve been more acknowledgement of the truck as a background detail in this entire scene. Also, I’m a little surprised that given how Neo basically took the initiative in teeing up this encounter in the first place, that he didn’t do something like unilaterally get off a Psybeam as a parting shot as the truck sped off or something like that.

Like I get that the truck is supposed to very rapidly get away from Wes and the onlookers since: A: this actually happens in Colosseum, B: trying to chase it around when he’s separated from his bike is futile, but unless the hovertruck roaring to life kicked up debris that made everyone flinch and shield their eyes or is the equivalent of loudly turning on a vacuum cleaner right next to Neo and Novo, that Wes basically just let Trudly and Folly get away here without a clear rationale. Even if it’s something as simple as “nope, don’t need to get in deeper with this”.

"Can you boys help me with this knot?" The woman had rushed to the sack and was frantically pulling at the rope tied around its mouth. The young man sprinted over to help, but Wes hesitated. He had half a mind to walk away right then and there—he'd done his duty, after all—but then decided, more out of curiosity than anything else, that he might as well stay to make sure the victim was all right.

I mean, it’s how it works if you’re looking to become a protagonist, but this is pretty much the exact opposite of what you want to do if you don’t want to get involved in other people’s problems… not that Neo and Novo would be likely to let you go anywhere fast. ^^;

The knot was, in fact, relentlessly tight. Even with two people working at it, it refused to give way. Wes brushed them aside and called for Novo, who stepped forward and gnawed at the rope. Within seconds, the rope was severed, and the woman swooped in to open the sack.

A girl burst out of the sack, gasping great gulps of air. Most of her red hair was pulled up into two pigtails, and the rest of it was drenched in sweat and plastered to her face. In fact, she was almost entirely drenched in sweat—not surprising, as Wes couldn't imagine how hot it must have been inside the stifling burlap.

487.jpg

I know that it’s game canon, but I couldn’t help but get in a giggle since Rui’s been lugged around like this in a stand-in of the Sonoran Desert, and… yeah, you would have problems after going through this sort of experience IRL at just about any time of the year.

"Oh, you poor dear!" The woman reached out and pulled the girl's blue and pink jacket from her shoulders in an attempt to cool her off. "Those monsters, how could they do this to you?"

The girl looked around, taking in her surroundings. She seemed incredibly disoriented. "Wh-where—?" She broke off in a coughing fit. The Phenac woman placed an arm around her shoulders and tutted with concern.

Wes: “... Also, I’m pretty sure that she’s exhibiting signs of heatstroke right now, but let’s not panic her about her condition at the moment.” ^^;

"You poor, poor thing—do either of you have water?" She asked Wes and the boy beside him.

Wes shook his head, but the athlete promptly answered, "I do!" He procured a water bottle from his pack, crouched beside them, and handed it over. The girl, still gasping for air, gave him a weak smile and took it from him. She opened it with shaky hands and raised it to her lips.

Wes: “Whelp, mission accomplished. Kidnapping victim’s still alive. Time to turn around, get our stuff, and-”
Neo:
826550123924029450.png

Novo:
635766721990361098.png

Wes: “Oh come on, what now, you two?” >.<

"You need to take small sips." Wes surprised himself by speaking. What did he care? Why had he bothered to stick around this long? Why hadn't he left already? "You're probably really dehydrated, so don't drink it all at once or you'll make yourself sick."

Because your cats would probably firmly veto you if you tried to leave? :V

The girl gave him a shaky nod and did as he advised, sipping carefully from the bottle. Her hands were trembling so badly that the woman beside her reached out and helped keep them steady. "To answer your question, you're in Phenac City, dear," she said kindly. "Would you mind telling us who you are? Perhaps there's someone we can call for you?"

The girl lowered the water bottle and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "My name is Rui," she said, her voice now steadying. "Rui Everlin." She looked between the woman and the boy beside her and smiled at them—a surprisingly genuine one, Wes thought, considering what she had just been through and how badly shaken she was. "Thank Celebi you were here to help me...I don't know how to repay you!"

‘Thank Celebi’, huh? So Rui’s from Agate Village? Or at least if my memory from osmosis serves me right, that’s where you run into Celebi in Colosseum.

Celebi? Wes frowned a little. He'd scarcely ever heard people swear by that name. He noticed the woman and the boy beside him exchange surprised looks, and wondered if they were thinking the same thing as him: She's not one of those crazy believers, is she?

Wow, rude.

The athlete simply shrugged. "Well, we didn't do much," he admitted as he turned back to the girl. He gestured to Wes. "He's the one who did all the work and chased those thugs off. It was real impressive, too, you should have seen it!" He gave Wes a look of shining admiration, which made him feel rather uncomfortable.

Wes: “(I’m… just going to not tell this guy that up until about 24 hours ago, I was actively stealing Pokémon from guys like him.)” ^^;

The girl named Rui looked up at him with shockingly bright blue eyes. She beamed at him with radiant gratitude. "Thank you—thank you so much! And you are?"

Wes paused. Giving out his name to perfect strangers was not on his list of things he wanted to do today—but then again, rescuing a kidnapping victim hadn't made it on that list, either. "Wes," he said shortly. He didn't offer his full name and was grateful when she didn't ask for one.

Novo: “*Wes, you’re doing it again...*” -_-;
Wes: “Look, Novo, we’re about to blow this region in like a day. I’m allowed to use my real name, alright?”
826550123924029450.png

"I'm Dash," said the young man. He and the woman helped the girl to her feet, and Wes couldn't help but note how short she was—her head barely reached his shoulders, if that. No wonder she got kidnapped. Easy target, I suppose.

Rui: “‘Easy target’?”
635766721990361098.png

Wes: “Well, are you going to prove me wrong, or…?”
679183508765147158.png

"And you can call me Marla, dear," said the lady kindly. "But enough about that—we need to get you taken care of. Who can we call for you? Perhaps we can help you get back to wherever you're from? Oh, we ought to get you to a hospital!"

Yes, that would be wise after you’ve been baking in the desert heat for half a day, honestly.

"No, no, I don't need a hospital, really!" Rui said. "If—if I can get to a Pokémon Center, I can—wait!" She stopped abruptly and her eyes widened as if she'd just remembered something. She turned to Wes with an urgent expression on her face. "Those men you battled—did they have an unusual Pokémon?"

Wes: “Lady, has anyone told you that you have some seriously skewed priorities in life?”

Rui: “Look, just answer the question! It’s important!” o_o;

Wes eyed her warily. Unusual Pokémon? Perhaps the heat had disoriented her? "No." He shook his head.

Dash frowned and nodded. "They looked like ordinary Whismur to me..."

"You didn't see a Makuhita?" She looked between the three of them. Wes shook his head again. "Oh..." the girl's face fell and she looked deeply troubled.

Wes: “... Were they supposed to have one, or…?”

"Oh, you don't have to worry about those—those—thugs any longer, dear," Marla fussed. "Let's get you taken to a Pokémon Center and—"

"No, wait!" The girl's face was urgent. "I need...I need to speak with the mayor!"

Wes: “Again. Skewed priorities.” >_>;

"The mayor?" asked Dash. He gave her a baffled look. "Why the mayor?"

"Those men grabbed me because I saw something," said Rui. "They had a Makuhita and there was something really...really wrong with it. I need to report this to the mayor so somebody knows about it!"

Wes: “And you’re not going to the police why?” -_-;
Rui: “Because Orrean police are jokes that make Kantoan cops look competent and professional?” >_>;
- Beat moment -
Wes: “Okay, fair point. Might be worth tracking down that mayor after all sometime when you’re not half-dead from heatstroke.” ^^;

Marla frowned at her. "I'm not sure what the mayor can do if those people have left town already..."

"They were heading here for something!" Rui said emphatically. Her eyes were wide and pleading. "I think they might come back, and I'm really worried about what they plan to do with that Pokémon!"

Mew above, she's sure passionate, thought Wes. She was awfully fired up and upset, all for a Pokémon she didn't even know. What is wrong with this girl?

I mean, she might be slightly delirious from heatstroke right now? Also she’s psychic and can tell if Pokémon have been shadowed, so picking up on their vibes might be hugely freaky for her.

"The Center is close to the mayor's house," offered Dash. "We can take you there after we take you to the mayor, I guess...?"

"Oh, would you? I don't know this city well, so that would be really helpful!" Rui beamed at the athlete.

Wes: “Look kid, can’t this wait sometime after you get medical attention-?” ._.;
Rui:
bdd.jpg

"But you ought to take this young man with you!" Marla gestured to Wes. "If those criminals are coming back, you ought to have someone with strong Pokémon."

Wes:
whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Marla: “I mean, why not? You’re clearly experienced at battling and you did find her, so…” ^^;

[ ]

"No," Wes said shortly. "I have places to be." He'd taken far too many detours today already.

I kinda wonder if this bit would’ve had more punch if you had Wes more visibly react to Marla volunteering his help with more of a start / “dude, no”-ness to it before he speaks up.

Marla gave him a pleading look. "Oh, but if those men come back for her...I don't have my own Pokémon, you see, or I would take her..."

Dash rubbed the back of his head. "W-well, I do have my Castform," he said. "He's not a battler, exactly, but...maybe..."

Wes: “(Seriously, what is wrong with trainers in this town and not having decent Pokémon with them-?)” >_>;
- Beat moment -
Wes: “(... Right, I might have had something to do with that in the past. Especially if Marla’s keeping her Pokémon at home to keep them from getting stolen right now.)”

They all looked at him hopefully. Even Neo was looking up at his trainer with pleading eyes. Traitor, thought Wes sourly. Do you want to get to Gateon or not?

Neo: “*Oh come on, Wes. How long does it take to walk a girl over to the mayor’s office here?*” -_-;
Wes: “You see, I was asking myself that about making sure she was alright, and now we’re getting into talking about running errands for her out of the goodness of our hearts. I’m pretty sure this is the point where we should cut our losses and run.” >_>;

A low, harsh, eerily familiar voice rang inside Wes' head. Sticking your neck out for people is what gets you killed, it snarled. Don't be a fool, boy.

Right. He didn't have time for this.

There’s quite a story behind that quote, I can already tell. .-.

But then he noticed Novo, practical though he was, shift uncomfortably and look up at him. Never once had his Pokémon led him astray. For all the survival instincts Wes' upbringing had drilled into him, he would always trust his Pokémon, his family, more than anything else.

Wes: “Et tu, Novo?” >_>;
Novo: “*Look, we literally need to hang around this girl for plot reasons, and it’s faster to just go to the mayor now instead of babysitting her at a Pokécenter for an evening beforehand.*”
826550123924029450.png

Wes was done in. He pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a long-suffering sigh. "Fine."

Neo chirrupped happily and Marla beamed at him approvingly. "You're such a kind gentleman!"

I'm definitely not.

Wes: “I’m pretty sure that this counts as some form of coercion right now-” >.<

"Oh, thank you, thank you so much!" Rui bounded up to him, and for one terrifying second he thought she might hug him. Don't touch me. He was immensely relieved that she didn't.

Well, Wes certainly has problems given that he’s apparently afraid of intimate contact with other humans. It’ll be interesting to see where that one is coming from.

"That's really generous of you, man," said Dash. He looked relieved. "Maybe we can all go together—"

"No." Arceus forbid Wes get saddled with more unnecessary distractions today. He quickly thought of an excuse. "You two should go to the Town Hall and report this incident. Make sure authorities know about what happened." Not that it will do much, he thought to himself. The only "authorities" in Phenac City were the staff at the Town Hall, and they could do little more than raise awareness and alert the citizens.

Dash nodded. "Alright, good plan."

- Blinks -
Oh right, in Colosseum, you go straight to the mayor’s house to meet him. Somehow I forgot about that in spite of Dash literally mentioning the mayor’s house in passing earlier this chapter. I kinda wonder if in-setting it ought to have made sense for Wes to have either found it strange that the mayor would be at his house during working hours, or if it’s common in-setting knowledge, some sort of “by the way” comment in the narration to remind the reader “... Right, Es Cade likes hanging around his house, so of course that’s the most logical place to start looking”, since that’s something that won’t be immediately obvious to readers that aren’t aware that that’s how it works in Colosseum.

He and Marla said their goodbyes. Dash left his water bottle with Rui, claiming she needed it more than he did and that he had plenty more where it came from. Rui thanked him and Marla generously for their help, and the two set off in the direction of Town Hall.

Rui turned to Wes with a bright smile. "I'll let you lead the way, then!"

Wes: “Lady, I literally just pulled into this town earlier today and made a repeated point of trying to avoid being here earlier in my life.”
:eltyunamused:

Rui: “.. Still more knowledgeable than me, so… yeah, kinda relying on your guidance here.” ^^;

Her bubbly demeanor absolutely baffled him. What kind of person could smile so easily after being kidnapped, for crying out loud? Wes shook his head slightly and sighed again—he'd been doing that an awful lot today, it seemed. "It's this way. Let's go." He didn't even wait for her to respond before setting off in the direction of the mayor's house, Neo and Novo trotting faithfully in tow.

It was already looking to be a long day.

Neo: “*Aww, you’re crushing on her…*”
784725534470963221.png

Wes: “(Neo. Shut. Up.)” >///<
Novo: “*No, no, I think he’s onto something there, Wes.*”
801819832751751179.png

Alright, and made it to the end, time for my overall thoughts:

Honestly, I can see what the hype about the story is about, since it takes the script of a lesser-known game from the franchise, and from just these first two chapters, it does a pretty good job at turning Orre into a place that feels living and breathing and makes you want to get to know more about it. Wes and the cats are by far the star of the show at this point of the story, and they have a lot of little character flourishes that give them a lot of pop, while feeling consistent with what we know Wes’ background canonically has to involve. There’s a few hints and passing mentions of things that go beyond established canon, but nothing thus far feels like it’d be out of place for what I know of the way that Orre was depicted in the actual games.

As for critiques, I don’t have too many beyond the ones that I explicitly outlined in my readthrough, a couple of which you’re already aware of and pending implemented fixes, and I honestly might’ve missed a few in Chapter 2 since I was too busy getting engrossed into things. The one significant structural critique that I have is that there are a few parts of this story that feel like they wouldn’t have as much impact on a reader without knowledge of Colosseum or else feel out of place. The bit involving Wes thinking about Gonzap and his Skarmory in passing and the bit about zeroing in on the Mayor’s house for where the gang wants to go to find him are both examples of that. Granted, that might have been done deliberately on your part as an author where you’re taking advantage of your source material’s relative obscurity to surprise the audience later, but if it wasn’t, you’ll want to make sure to be a bit more generous about tipping off the context of how things work in this region, since Orre is pretty different from mainline regions in a number of respects.

But altogether, I had a good time with this story @HelloYellow17 . I could absolutely see myself coming back to this story in the future, and from what I’ve seen, it lives up to the hype that I’d heard of it pretty well. Gud story, pls update.

Kudos, and hope that the feedback proves helpful to you in your writings.

Last edited:

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. jfought-sword
  2. jfought-blue
  3. deerling-summer
  4. charmeleon
  5. vulpix
I have arrived from Review Roulette! I’ve been intrigued by this story for a while now, so I decided this was the perfect chance to check it out and see what it’s about! Pokémon Colosseum is one of those games with a perfect storm of great ideas, but kind of an empty execution that leaves a lot of space to be filled, so I'm down for novelization that can fill those gaps and expand on those ideas. For this review I read through Chapter 1 through 6. And I have Thoughts so let’s get through them!

Thoughts on Chapters 1 to 6
  • Right off the bat, Neo and Novo are adorable and I love them. The first chapter in general does a great job of establishing our trio. I like how you used the Colosseum intro to set up some proper intrigue with Wes’ character. Gonzap referred to him as “Leo,” and the promise that we’ll actually get an expanded backstory for Wes and his time in Snagem is tantalizing, considering that he didn’t get any in the original game.

• I really like the character interactions between our main four! Just three chapters in and I already feel like I have a good feel for these characters. Wes especially: his conflict as a character and frustration with how things are spiraling out of control are well communicated, and I like how his bond with Neo and Novo is given important focus, and how the two support him and act as a conscience for him. I really get the feeling that he loves Pokémon, which is important, considering what the plot will be putting him through soon!

• The mayor is very welcoming of our protagonists. The sign on his house and the way he treats his guests implies that he's a more hands-on mayor and that open appointments with him are normal, which I suppose is to explain the odd JRPG-ism of just walking into his house and chatting in the original game, and we don't exactly have time to go through a lengthy appointment process. Also Eldes, what are you doing here?! Seeing him makes me wonder if we'll see him again. XD did establish that Cipher is bigger than Evice here, so to me this feels like a small bit of foreshadowing that we'll see this reflected in this story.

• Rui has a serious case of bleeding heart syndrome, throwing herself willingly into this entire situation. She definitely seems sheltered, but in a way she acts as Wes’ third conscience (as if he needed any more of those). There is something very fitting about your interpretation of her. She got very little in the original game, so it feels weird to say "ah she is very true to her character here" (i mean i guess if she blocks wes in corridor that would be very true to her character) so I guess it would probably be more accurate to say that she fits perfectly into the existing character dynamics and bounces off of Wes naturally. There does seem to be more to this interpretation of the character than meets the eye, but so far it’s been mostly kept in the background.

• The smell of bacon wafted tantalizingly in the air, and Neo chuffed and gloomily laid his head on his paws. He couldn't believe his trainer sometimes. Who could possibly deny him, Neo the Great (and Handsome, according to the redhead) Espeon, when he put on the charm? Apparently his stone-cold trainer could. Hmphf.
    please tell me the rest of the fic is written from neo’s perspective he is perfect. Seriously though this is some quality fluff, 10/10. I love the characterization of Neo and Novo, they're so perfectly cat-like and their dynamic with Wes and Rui adds a lot to the fic. And now they're getting POV sections? i mean it’s never too late to write the rest of the fic from neo’s perspective i mean- In general I love the character interactions in this fic. There are a lot of them in just the first four chapters, and they help establish so much about our cast, while also being a joy to read.

• I guess if I do have one concern, it’s that I kind of hope we get to see more of a dynamic between Neo and Novo. Their dynamics with Wes and Rui are established pretty well pretty quickly, but their dynamic with each other hasn’t really gotten a lot of attention so far. There have been a couple lines here and there that suggest that they do have one, but it’s the only dynamic between the four that I don’t really feel I have a good grasp on yet, since for the most part they haven’t really interacted with each other. Of course, it’s still pretty early, and there are ten chapters I haven’t read yet, so it’s possible we see them interact with each other more later down the line; this is just how I’m feeling right now.

• Wes was rubbing his temples in frustration. Another distraction. Another. Damned. Thing. He sighed yet again. Rather than fight it this time, he figured if they could power through the issue quickly, then he could still be heading to Gateon by the end of the day.
    This poor guy does not know that Gateon Port isn’t in Pokémon Colosseum :))))

• The brutality of Shadow Pokémon is very much played up here. I like how Makuhita is used to introduce how Shadow Pokémon encounters are going to work in this fic, with the next battle immediately expanding on that with a very tense and chaotic battle scene. I do really get the sense that the main reason Wes is catching them, at least right now, is because it’s simply too dangerous to let them stay in battle. And we really feel that in the Chapter 6 battle, which was just really well done scene that gets across what makes them terrifying. All that to say that you’ve done a good job of giving Shadow Pokémon a presence in this fic.
Overall I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far! I didn't notice any typos, so I don't have anything to report on that front. This entire fic feels like a love letter to Pokémon Colosseum, there's a lot of great attention to detail and the adaption has been handled with a lot of care and reverence for the source material. It was a little slow going at first, but things have started ramping up quickly, and I think the strong characterization of the main cast helps carry through any pacing issues there may be. In other words, I'm invested in these characters and your takes on them, and found that I didn't mind having to go through Colosseum's early-game giving our characters the runaround if it meant I got to see them interact more before things got serious. It’s stuck pretty close to the game up to this point, but apparently from Chapter 7 onwards is where it starts to diverge, and I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Joshthewriter

Charizard Fan
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. charizard
Chapter 3-5 time!

Wes and Rui have a pretty good dynamic. What with Wes being a broody, edgy bastard and Rui being a ball of unbridled joy and enthusiasm. It’s also a hilarious touch to have the narrative itself be lampooning Rui’s height.

Barely 2 chapters into her appearance and Rui has quickly become the most endearing character for me. She’s quirky and fun and innocent and it’s such a great contrast with Wes himself.

aaaaand it’s tangent time. You know I’ve mentioned the characters in every review. I abso have to mention this as it seems like it’s a significant strength of yours. You do such a great job with Wes’ internal monologue of expressing his character and his dynamic with the rest of the cast. It’s a superb example of first person writing.

Also, I adore worldbuilding Orre as a desolate wasteland and this fic is absolutely delivering on that account. (side note, this is turning into a gush fest so I’ll get back on track).

My worldbuilding brain kicks into gear during Wes/Rui’s convo regarding training/pokeballs. Not even a single wild pokemon in Orre? I know that’s how the game plays it, but it’s a large region. Do you have wild animals taking pokemon’s ecological place in Orre, or is it literally an ecological wasteland?

RUI AURA WHAT. I love it. Rui as an aura user (I’m a sucker for using canon elements like this) is the kind of fanfic shit that brightens my day.

Wes’ casual “oh yeah pokemon sometimes kill” means to me that we’re probably going to see that pop up at some point. I wonder if Wes will struggle with killing or not killing an opponent at some point. It would fit with his “edgy action hero” vibe to have that struggle portrayed.

I hardly remember the plot beats of early Colo, but damn does something feel off with the mayor. He seemed a little too eager to entertain Wes and Rui. Maybe it’s my own paranoid brain creeping in, but it almost looks like he’s trying to feel them out and see how much they know without being obvious. Of course, I could be reading too far into it.

Espy/Umbre evos being common knowledge makes me think that people have a decent base level knowledge of pokemon in this fic. I personally have them a little more mysterious, but that’s just my take lol.

I love Wes’ ”It’s not really my problem, but I can’t just leaver her here” attitude. It’s great knowing that he’s absolutely just trying to convince himself. He knows he’s going to help Rui either way.

I like this attitude in general because it really builds up how Wes is lying to himself. You think you’re going to Johto? Really? Bud, you ain’t leaving without cleaning up this mess lol. It really builds up the “action hero” vibe of him pulling a Deus Ex protag with an “I never wanted this” later in the fic. Really really great job with your protagonist.

Another thing! I like that Wes and Rui are not immediately best friends. They don’t immediately jump the other’s bones and have to build an actual relationship. Wes has difficulty even communicating outside of situations where he’s after an objective and it’s interesting to see Rui start to open him up by straight up ripping him. Wes hasnt opened up to anyone except Neo and Novo, so it’s a great side of him to see, even if he is resistant of it here.

I love the tonal shift into Action-Thriller mode at the chapter end. Wes freaks right out and gloms onto Rui (which is honestly hilarious, please stop lying to yourself Wes you’re a perfect action hero). He’s desperate to get her out of harms way, not just himself, even if he doesn’t really see that. Again, I love the dynamic that you’re building between the two.

Chapter 4

Oh, a Rui chapter? I love it! Great choice.

Lol, yeah Rui, that’s a hell of a day. Kinda fever dream-ish.

I love the way you’re describing Rui’s aura sense. It’s interesting. Makes me wonder whether she’s literally seeing people glowing colours all the time and what that might be like.

Love that Rui seems to take joy in teasing Wes. She knows through her aura sense that he’s a good person and seems to know just how far she can take it.

Are we back at the bar/diner from 1? Interesting.

Mail order girlfriend? Right for the throat, Grogan. Wes is now requiring a burn heal. I am slightly surprised that Rui didn’t even make note of this though, it did strike me as somewhat odd.

LOL, RUI DONT GO IN THE BASEMENT

All jokes aside, I love that she has that line of thinking. At least she’s got a sense of self-preservation. It kicks in a bit late lol, but at least she notes that she’s not exactly walking into a sane situation.

I do think it’s adorable that Rui starts to have the dreamy eyes at Wes. He has been adorably heroic and no doubt it would leave a mark on anyone.

OMG Wes why the floor???? Your poor back… It’d be funny if it was just set up for the ”one bed” gag.

Some great backstory and character set up for Rui overnight. I like a lot of the potential arcs that you seemingly set up with this POV and I’m excited to see them play out. It’s a more personal chapter than the previous chapter had implied was coming, but I’m always down for a character chapter.

Novo being all protective is adorable. Though, I can already see the two letting Rui get close to help with Wes’ nightmares. Cute set up for it.

More of Wes lying to himself lol. He’s just embarassed and nervous that a girl wants his number lol. It’s adorable and clashes brilliantly with his “I’m a stoic badass” vibe he’s trying to put off.

Coliseum challenge????? Johtoan War????? (should be Johtan imo, but I’ll leave that) What is this worldbuilding I want more!

Wes: I’m not taking her with me.

The Story: But you are tho

Neo POV now???!?!! I love it!!

Neo’s right about one thing. Rui brings the fun to Wes’ life and fun is something that Wes is sorely lacking in.

LOL WHAT A CAT

I love love love love how Neo is literally just a cat after bacon. This fic is skyrocketing my enjoyment lol.

I really like the juxtaposition of Neo/Novo’s POVs. They’re both clearly cats but on opposite ends of the “I like people“ spectrum. And they’re both really adorable portrayals.

Chapter 5

Back to Phenac and Wes is mopey about it. Get used to it, you ain’t leaving Orre my friend. At least not anytime soon.

Back in Phenac and immediately roped into saving the mayor. Funny that despite Wes’ determination not to get involved, he promptly gets himself deeply involved in every bit of trouble he comes across.

I see how Rui got herself captured. She’s very… not tactical lol. Just running straight into the trouble. Bodes well for Wes and his “It ain’t my problem”

MIROR B THEME COMMENCES

Fuckin love that I can still hear it lol.

I do find it somewhat strange that he doesn’t stick around to help, considering he wants Rui captured. I know it’s what happens in game, but I would have expected him to hell capture her instead of just disappearing.

I love that you’re lampooning the “Leroy Jenkins”of Rui’s. Yeah Rui, maybe you shouldn’t sprint towards the trouble at every chance.

I actually really like the one sided curb stomp that was Wes’ initial battle. He’s a good trainer and you showed that already. Having him wipe the floor with this henchmen shows a great deal of competence for him.

Then you pulled one of my favourite tropes off in reverse. The “losing battle suddenly evened by releasing new combatant” trope. I love it as the introduction of shadow pokemon and since you’ve already set up that shadows fight to kill, it ratchets up the intensity.

Snag machine time!!!!!!! I frigging love how you portrayed it. Kinda steampunk/cyberpunk vibes to its activation and use. I had a feeling that was how it was gonna play out and I‘m here for it.

You had set up Rui’s dislike of thieves earlier and… idk it seems kind of blown out of proportion here. He did kinda have to resort to that and he’s already saved her life a few times. Maybe the overnight in the desert diner was all the slack Rui had lol.

Ah yes, lie to her Wes. That’ll definitely make it better when she finds out.

Lol I actually really love Rui seizing on the opportunity to call it destiny and work with Wes to bring down Snagem. It’s very very Rui lol.

Wes: “I’m not the hero.”

Rui: “You definitely are.”

I think it’s touching how determined Wes is to deny that he both is the hero and needs Rui’s help. He resorts to literally sprinting away when being gruff and stubborn doesn’t work for him.

That being said, I think I we all know that Rui isn’t going to keep her promise to leave Wes alone after the hospital.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
Here is my Smeargle Swap! Neo is begging for bacon with those big ol' eyes. Refrenced from a photo of Nilah

neo_stare.png

canisaries

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Hey there! Decided to read chapters 11-14 for Blitz. Here we go.

Chapter 11

A bit surprised to see Wes anxious in such a "safe" situation, but I feel like there may have been something like that before that I've just forgotten by now. It does make sense, though, for someone used to quiet and secluded moments because the people he had the option to be around were not a good sort.

"Let Neo and Novo out." Rui's hand rested lightly on Wes' shoulder as she spoke, and he only barely managed to hide his flinch. Her touch wasn't unpleasant, per se, and was much less threatening than most, but it was far too foreign of a sensation for him to be comfortable with it.
This was also a nice touch, no pun intended.

"Johnson." Sherles narrowed his eyes as he addressed the officer. "You're late."

"Yes, sir, sorry, sir. Got held up by those kids again on my way here, they wanted to say hello to Frego and -"

"Johnson, if you're going to let those kids pet your damn Arcanine every morning, then leave earlier. No more excuses."

Johnson straightened and grinned wider. "Yes, boss!"

"Don't call me 'boss'. I'm your Chief."

"Sorry, boss."

Sherles sighed. Duking chortled in amusement.

Wes couldn't help but stare at the young officer in disbelief. Is this guy for real? The lopsided grin on his face reminded him of a dopey, idiotically happy Growlithe with their tongue lolling out of their mouth.
we love johnson, what a king

Also enjoying the contrast shown between Rui's naivete and Wes' street smarts.

Wes shoved Rui back and stepped between them. "Enough." Arceus above. Between Emok and Cail, it was like the redhead was trying to pick a fight with every stranger on the street. He glared at the Trainer in front of him.
Zero memory of who Cail is at this point, but it has been a year since I last read this. Hopefully not terribly important to remember.

I feel like I may have said this before in a previous review, but this fic is special in that it makes me actually engaged in battle scenes, when usually I just gloss over them. Shadow Pokémon and how they work / don't work in battle is interesting, especially when a command of Shadow Rush totally transforms Kohna who goes on to morb all over everyone.

Chapter 12

Rui said he was just being paranoid, but Wes trusted the Croconaw about as far as he could throw her - in other words, not at all, considering she'd bite his arms off first.
he hee

Wes was still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that a man as clueless as Johnson was able to find someone to romance, let alone marry.
sorry chad, this is real life. the dumbass gets the girl

"I tell you, some days I think this baby can't come soon enough!" she breathed.
dammit. im going to have to remember another childs name

Wes stared at the object in his hands. It was a Training bag - and a nice one, at that. The sleek black and white design was one thing, but he could tell from the material that this was not just an ordinary bag; it was specifically created with capsule technology, a highly sought-after feature that allowed items to be stored in massive quantities.
!!! I legit had this same idea at one point as an extension of the Pokéball colored chests we see around! And it will be very embarrassing for me if it turns out it already existed in the game.

Something incredibly heavy and unpleasant weighed in Wes' chest, making him feel as though he might sink through the floor. It pulled at him from the inside like a dull, persistent ache, twisting his stomach into knots, and felt remarkably like…

Guilt.
actually feeling guilt? lmao scrub

In this chapter, I kinda felt like it took very long to return to the Emok plot thread that the previous chapter ended on - though, of course, being as slow as I am, I only started to realize it a few paragraphs before its return. I also wondered why they took several days to act on her advice, which in retrospect was probably to take some time to train the Shadowmon, but I think it could have been mentioned explicitly somewhere in there.

"Right, then." He turned back to her. "Last question, do you know a blonde kid on roller skates that lurks around here? Had a bandana in his hair."
I think it's "blond" without an E if it's male, actually. The wonders of French.

Another great battle scene! I especially like how the brutality of the Shadow Pokémon comes through. Normal Pokémon fight like it's the anime and you don't see any blood, but Shadowmon just go full Rip and Tear and we get real injuries. Another strong point is the distinct personalities of the different Pokémon which makes them feel like real characters than action figures being smashed together.

Chapter 13

The sand beneath his little paws was soft, and it was sosatisfying to swipe at it and watch it blow to dust.
Missing space here.

He landed in the sand with a solid whump!
(half of thousand roads busts through the door)

Everyone loves a good crisis evolution, and I am no exception. I like that Neo's story really was falling out of a tree, but actually in a context where the evolution makes sense. The contrast with Novo's story also highlights the differences in their personalities - Neo would have something sweet while Novo would have something heavy.

Chapter 14

"I won't try to pretend that I'm a saint, here," he said. "I was fully aware of what I was signing up for when we set out to find you for this mission, and I knew that going this route would mean doing things I have never once considered in all my years of service." Those icy blue eyes bored into Wes, unwavering as always. "Should my actions in this investigation be made public, I will certainly lose my position and any credibility I have ever had. It's quite possible it would undo everything I have worked for, everything I have strived to build within this force."

Wes glared at him, unwilling to back down despite that intimidating stare. "Why do this, then?"

"I suppose...after thirty years on the job, of giving everything I had to serving this town, of trying to make things better for the folks around here...I got tired." Sherles paused and dropped his gaze, and all at once, Wes could see that tiredness in him; in every line on his face, in the slight slump of his shoulders as he spoke, in the cadence of his voice, in the fibers of his very being.

"I got tired of doing all that and not accomplishing a single damned thing," he said. "And I got especially tired of watching kids die on the streets."
This sells me well on Sherles' willingness to resort to underhanded tactics after so much time in a place as bad as Orre.

And yet, despite the fact that he let out Neo and Novo in an attempt to calm his agitation with their presence, the question needled at his mind for the rest of the day.

Maku couldn't remember.
...Or was he trying to forget?

Neo had a problem.
Thirty minutes of waiting would normally feel like a lifetime; but as Neo sat through the remainder of the meeting in Wes' lap, perfectly content and relishing in the sensation of Wes' hand stroking his fur, it felt like no time at all.

The last few days had been nothing short of a whirlwind - but then again, Rui supposed she could say that about every day since she'd set out on her errand for Pokeballs; it had only been a few weeks since leaving home, and yet, with all the excitement, it felt as though it had been months.
I think all of these POV changes could have used a scene break. I can't think of why they shouldn't have, and I found myself confused for a moment without them.

And for the rest of the morning, Rui couldn't stop grinning.
Aw, he made her smile real. :)

---

Alright! I think that does it for my thoughts. Interested to see where this will go. I wanna stress again how I really like all the stuff with the Shadow Pokémon, and going forward, I know there'll certainly be more of that for me to enjoy. Hopefully I can continue sooner than in the next Blitz, but that depends on some unpredictable personal factors. Till then, see you around!

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Chapter 4

New POVs! I enjoyed Rui's POV and how confused she is by Wes's behaviour; it sure would be puzzling without having been in his head. (I actually had to go back and reread a chunk of the previous chapter to recall what had forced him to do this, since it has been far too long since I last read.)

I liked the nighttime scene a lot, and the cute sense of vulnerability to Wes that Rui witnesses in it - him sleeping with Neo curled against him, Novo keeping watch and ending his nightmare. Fundamentally he's just a sweet grumpy bean whose Pokémon love him very much. Wes preferring to sleep on the floor is presumably basically habit from being made to do so since childhood and finding actual mattresses too soft, which, oof. I'm guessing Novo's thing for being able to see out the window at night is about watching for danger in the form of Snagem coming after him; he seems very protective and wary on Wes's behalf generally. I love him.

It was sweet to see Wes begin to relate to Rui a little bit, with regards to being stuck in a place for too long and not having any friends. I'm guessing it's going to take a while before he properly stops wanting to shake her off, but it's a start! I'm successfully intrigued by what's up with Rui not doing Pokémon generally; it's cute that Wes, who is of course not very eager to talk about himself, feels no desire to press her on it, just takes the hint that she doesn't want to talk about it and moves on.

Rui hitting it off with Neo, who basks in her attention, while Novo is extra wary not so much for his own reasons as because she puts Wes on edge, also feels very appropriate. They're both just such personalities and I love Novo's ironclad loyalty, refusing to get close to anyone Wes won't get close to. Not that he isn't also a bit of a brat about his spot in the sidecar.

The choice to end on a Novo POV so that we don't learn how Wes has been roped into taking Rui somewhere is interesting - I feel Neo's confusion, but also it does tug me toward reading the next chapter to find out what just happened there. Unlikely to happen until tomorrow, but!

Couple of quotes:

Rui blinked in the dim lighting as she surveyed the dusty interior. This place was very different from home, but it was also very different from Phenac. Most of the places she'd seen had tried to flourish despite the lifeless desert, as if trying to fight against their surroundings and prove to be something more. This place embraced the empty sands, the lawlessness of the desert, and made it a home—a creaky, grimy, dilapidated one, but a home, nonetheless.
I liked this description a lot - really captures the vibe.

It was wasn't an ideal situation
Extraneous "was".

The mens' voices and rough hands as they tossed her around like merchandise.
*men's

No, Wes thought, It sounds...lonely.
Either Wes thought No, it sounds... lonely (one sentence), in which case the "it" should be lowercase, or he thought No. It sounds... lonely (two sentences), in which case there should be a period after "Wes thought". (Also, I believe there should be a space after an ellipsis if it isn't cutting off in the middle of a word...? Though I think ellipses are one of those kinds of punctuation that different style guides disagree on.)

Kind of a quiet chapter, but it gives us more insight into Rui and what she's about, and them bonding a bit more (slowly), plus some cute Neo and Novo. Excited for chapter five, given the description saying it's where things get interesting - wonder if that's related to what happened at the end there or if things just go south later.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Chapter 5

I'm realizing now that I think I completely misinterpreted what was going on in Novo's scene at the end of the last chapter. In Wes's final scene they're still at the Outskirt Stand eating breakfast, talking about going to Phenac City, and then in Novo's scene he talks about suffering through their annoyingly long stay at Phenac City (after talking about Rui trying to pet him at the restaurant), which had me thinking the bit where he's surprised Rui's joining them again was happening happening after they'd arrived in Phenac. But this chapter opens with Wes arriving in Phenac and they aren't about to leave it yet at all - and on a reread, Wes's final scene in chapter four ends on what looks an awful lot like simply Wes's POV of the end of Novo's scene. So I'm guessing what actually happened is just that Novo referring to their stay in Phenac is a typo, and that was simply meant to be at the Outskirt Stand. Sorry for the confusion, that must have been some trippy commentary to get, haha.

Love to see the introduction of Miror B. Colosseum has some wild villains, and you definitely captured the weird flamboyant yet threatening vibe of the guy. I enjoy that Wes and Rui are about as baffled at him as you'd expect. Rui nonchalantly just stepping into the house, and Wes thinking she's insane for it, and Rui later admitting she shouldn't have gone in here and Wes just snarling "You think?" was a good bit of character dynamic - she's naïve and optimistic and kind of just assumes things will be fine and work out, and he's so very not. Each trapped in their own ways, but her sheltered and him all too accustomed to violence. And yet, I wonder if the tug of sympathy he feels has to do with remembering when he was first exposed to violence and horror.

I did find myself a bit surprised that Neo and Novo sort of fade into the background while the humans converse - I would have expected them to get on taking down Trudly's Spinarak and Duskull and getting the door open again right away, but they just aren't mentioned for a bit until Miror B. is gone and Trudly starts giving his Pokémon orders. If you revisit the chapter, might be worth mentioning what they're doing in the interim and/or giving a reason for them not to act there. Deeply relate to that writing situation, though, it's always hard to get the conversation that needs to happen in while also logically there'd be a fight going on. (Watch me shamelessly pull a "the legendary put up an impenetrable shield while it's recovering so everyone has a minute to talk".)

“I-I’m really worried for the Mayor! You told him about them yesterday, right? What if they found out and...and...” he trailed off and gave Wes a pleading look.
I think you want a capital in "He trailed off", since I don't think that's a description of how the dialogue is said.

“Yeah...yeah, you’re right,” Rui said. She relaxed a little. “He should be fine - but I am glad you offered to check on him. I’ll be glad to know for sure.” She smiled at him. “You’re a really good person, Wes.”

No, I’m not, Wes thought with annoyance. He felt ready to sock the next person who needed a favor in the jaw. He wanted to get. Out. Of. Here.
It says a lot about Wes that that's how he (internally) responds to that remark. (Is there a character meme where it's responses to "You're a good person"? There should be.) Enjoy his frustration with his own better nature.

The man that stood before them was tall, lanky, and dressed in some kind of ridiculous bright yellow track suit. His face was covered with gaudy shades, and he was adorned with flashy jewelry. But most noticeable of all was his hair; a massive afro that, for all intents and purposes, looked as though it defied the laws of physics just by how big it was. But the absurdity didn’t stop there - the hair was dyed two colors and split evenly down the middle, one side white, the other a fiery red.
Tiny nitpick: two sentences in a row starting with "But" stick out a bit.

“Now, now, darling, ain’t no need to get your hair worked up in a frizz. Why, that lil’ gal can’t have gone far, can - oh!” He squawked in surprise upon noticing Wes and Rui in the room. “Boys, I think we have company!”
Another tiny thing - I believe it's "li'l", since the apostrophe normally goes where you've omitted sounds in a contraction.

“Yes indeed, darling,” his boss drawled with a wink. “I have frightfully important business to attend to, so I’ll be on my way. But I do trust you’ll have the girl with you the next time we meet.” His last sentence, though still drawled in his light, lilting voice, suddenly contained a cold and dangerous edge to it.
Miror B. is such a bizarre dude and I enjoy how you show that and also make him a bit scary.

The repetition of "drawled" close together stuck out at me a bit - no big deal but if you felt like going back you could rephrase one.

He barely had time to react. He ducked and dove to the side, but he wasn’t quite fast enough to dodge the entire blow. The Makuhita’s fist glanced off his right shoulder, and Wes felt something pop, followed by a thrill of pain shooting down his arm as he crashed to the floor.
:copyka: I see we have reached the Wes whump

I enjoyed the Makuhita encounter; it really feels way stronger than Trudly's other Pokémon and becomes a real threat, and Wes's quick thinking realizing he can capture it in a Pokéball to stop it is a good oh shit moment. This is only the 'tutorial' for the concept but I'm excited with what you're going to do with Shadow Pokémon in the future, especially after reading Nameless. And of course, Rui's strong reaction to it and immediately interrogating Wes about it, oh boy.

“Rui - Rui!” Wes shouted, sitting up and trying to put some distance between him and the Makuhita. “The bag! Give me the bag!”

“Wh-what?”
Weird extra spacing here.

“I didn’t like what Team Snagem did. I never liked it. But these friends of mine...they did what they thought they had to do to survive. So they stayed with Snagem for a long time, until something happened.” He paused and stared hard at the ground. “They...killed one of my good friends and his team.”
Ohohoho. :copyka: Very much looking forward to learning more about the truth behind this half-truth.

“So,” he pressed on, “I got together with a couple of friends and we decided to do something about it. We rigged up some explosives and infiltrated the base. That explosion that happened a few days ago? That was me.”
'a couple of friends', who were definitely human, and not Neo and Novo

Rui scanned his face as if looking for any traces of falsehood. “So...you were never part of Team Snagem yourself?”

“No,” Wes said firmly. “Never.”

“You’ve never stolen a Pokemon?”

“Today was the first.”
Ohhh boy. She asked very directly he lied. That's going to have repercussions when she finds out.

“Well, we cant all be a hero, all right?” Wes snapped.
Missing the apostrophe in can't.

“A crazy Pokemon tried to kill me, in case you didn’t notice.”

“I-I didn’t realize you were hit! I’m sorry-”

“Doesn’t matter.” Wes turned away on one heel. “I’m going now.” He marched off in the direction of the hospital.

“Wait!” Rui rushed up beside him. “At least let me go with you to the hospital!”

“What the hell for?” he spat. “I don’t need you. Go away.”

“No! You got into this mess because of me, and the least I can do is make sure you’re okay!”

“I’m fine, and I’d be even better if you’d leave me alone.”

“At least let me go with you. Okay? Then I’ll leave and I’ll be out of your hair, I promise.”

Her face was so sincere as she looked at him. Wes found it so damned infuriating. How in Mew’s name could this girl possibly have the energy to care so much about absolutely everything? Didn’t she ever get tired? Like a normal person?
I love Wes and his commentary. That last paragraph is great, so exasperated.

I imagine part of his frustration here, and desperation to get rid of her, is that he wants to be far, far away before she gets the opportunity to learn he lied to her. Unfortunately a little game called Pokémon Colosseum says that won't happen, will it. Looking forward to how Rui's going to remain attached to him after the hospital. I enjoyed her proposing it seems like a kind of destiny for them to meet, and wanting to save these Pokémon, and Wes just being like oh no, please no, just go to the (incompetent) police and let me get the hell away from here.

If I were to speculate, I'd guess what persuades Wes to want to actually go ahead and do it in the end will be Makuhita? He's caught it now, and as a guy who loves his Pokémon, I imagine it will give him pause when he tries to talk to it, etc. and realizes just how badly it's been messed up.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Chapter 6

This was a pretty intense chapter! They barely get to start to say goodbye (awww, Neo) before Phenac goes into lockdown, something's hugely fishy about the city guards, and then three Shadow Pokémon (and two others) are attacking them at once. It definitely felt like it went by quickly!

I enjoyed the Rui POV being used here; it just makes sense when she's the one who can see aura, for the dramatic moment of the Bayleef/Quilava/Croconaw. Since Wes caught all of them, I'm curious if we're going to see Wes actually capture every Shadow Pokémon (that gets battled on-screen) - it would kind of make sense, wouldn't it, even though it'd be a whole lot of Pokémon to juggle. (Probably not all of them would get developed as characters, then, just a few that form a team, and the rest would exist in the background.)

I was kind of surprised that Wes could show a valid trainer card with Makuhita even registered on it - initially when he refused to show an ID I figured he was probably an illegal trainer with Snagem, but it makes sense he might not be able to even use Pokéballs at all if he wasn't registered, and I guess the Snag Machine causes the balls to automatically overwrite previous registration on the ball in a way that isn't immediately flagged or detectable. And of course, Wes was just reluctant to show an ID because he's generally suspicious of these people, because he's pretty paranoid and attentive about stuff like Phenac not having officers (wow, though, in a region like Orre they really ought to), and he doesn't like to give out his identity on the best of days.

The battle was pretty intense. I enjoyed Makuhita barely batting an eye at having a new trainer now, not recognizing Vital Throw, but launching himself into battle as soon as he's just told to fight, and even attacking the trainer - just brutal, and clearly in need of addressing. I'm guessing they're going to have a 'talk' with the Shadow Pokémon next chapter.

This is a public announcement to all citizens of Phenac!” Rui perked up - that was the Mayor’s voice!

All citizens are to return to their homes immediately. All visitors are to take shelter in the Pokemon Center. We ask that every individual remain indoors until further notice. There will be no exiting or entering the city at this time. We thank you for your cooperation.”
Definitely just a nice lockdown for the safety of Phenac citizens, nothing to see here. (Poor Wes. Something always happens to draw him away from just leaving.)

Wes didn’t answer immediately; he seemed to be wondering this himself. Then he turned and looked at her. “We’re getting out of here.”

Rui blinked. “‘We’?”

“You’re welcome to stay here for hours and possibly get arrested, but personally, I have other things I’d rather be doing.”
Haha, love Rui being surprised he says 'we' and him saying well you can stay if you want.

(Would Rui really be likely to get arrested? It's not as if she stole a Pokémon...)

She then got a closer look at the men standing in front of the entrance. They each wore distinctly colored uniforms and carried an air of authority in their posture.

“Are those...officers?” Rui asked uncertainly.
Definitely officers, nothing to see here, totally not members of an evil team operated by the mayor

His face was perfectly calm as he reached into his coat and handed his Trainer card to the...officer? Supposedly?Rui still wasn’t exactly sure what to call these men.
Missing a space after "Supposedly?" here.

The - the-” Fear made her words were jumble together. “Quilava-Croconaw-Bayleef!” She hoped to Arceus she made some sort of sense in her panic.
I liked this, that she can't speak perfectly calmly here and just blurts out their names as fast as possible. Stuff like that goes a long way in selling a character's emotions.

He’s out of control, Rui thought as she watched in horror. And Wes just caught another one like him! Merciful Arceus -
I was momentarily surprised here that Rui only brings up Wes having just caught another one, given he's already thrown balls at Quilava and Croconaw too - I guess it does make sense they aren't caught yet, but also he is already trying to catch them.

It’s aura pulsed brighter, stronger, bigger...
*Its

“Es...pi...” A weak mew reached Rui’s ears. She and Wes turned to see Neo limping to his Trainer. He looked up at him with dull eyes before collapsing to the ground.

A quiet, frightening rage appeared in Wes’ eyes. “Alright,” he hissed as he returned his Espeon and Umbreon, “That. Is. It.”
Love that Wes really gets dangerous and determined because his Pokémon got hurt. Such a sweet berserk button. Meanwhile he shrugs off his own injuries like it's nothing.

“Let’s go.” Wes’ voice made her jump. He was already on the bike, pulling his mirrored visors over his eyes. She noticed he’d already ditched his sling, and she vaguely wondered when that had happened.
Case in point! I wonder if he's been tipped all the way over into wanting to look into Cipher now or if he's still hoping to ultimately get to Gateon Port...

Anyway, it was a good chapter; love to see how things have heated up now, and lots of hooks for the next chapter to pick up on.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Howdy, Yellow! I've been waiting such a long goddamn time to sink my teeth into this again, and I've enjoyed catching up a little more. Hopefully I'll get even more caught up this week! It looks like I read chapter 4 before, but I read it again to get it fresh, plus two more. Blocks of three, eh?

Scratch that. I wrote that the other day and then I just kept fucking reading. I am delighted to finally be fully caught up with OSAS, and most unexpectedly at that. The thing is, though, it's just extremely fucking readable. I think I read about 35k of OSAS just on Friday, actually, and it's been a whilee since I binged anything. Why is that? Well, I would describe OSAS as being remarkably well rounded in its quality to the point of having no particular shortcomings, while both nailing what I consider to be the most important elements for reader retention and being about something specific and memorable enough to have a measure of niche appeal. In other words, it never did anything to compromise my interest and attention, and it did a lot to maintain it. Or to put it even more simply: it's just a good goddamn fic.

With that in mind, here's what I had to say about the fic as I read a chapter or several at a time:

So, some general thoughts from the first several thousand words of this reading (i.e. chapters four through six) is that I just really enjoy the fic, on that most fundamental level of 'I'm reading an interesting and fun story in proficient English prose', y'know? The core cast of characters has a strong dynamic and a lot of love put into them, the vibes are solid, the pacing seems decent, I'm enjoying the vaguely hostile setting with that Pokémon dynamism and sense of adventure, and the narration and dialogue are good stuff. On that note, I actually laughed aloud a few times while reading these, which is fairly hard to get me to do when reading a fic. Nice one.

Some more specific commentary~

I'm pretty sure chapter four was our first trip inside anyone's head besides Wes, and we got three to enjoy! Rui is bright and shining, of course, but what interests me about her POV is the way she is very confident of her intuitions, makes instant judgments and decisions, and then takes it hard when those decisions seem to be poor ones. It honestly makes perfect sense she'd do this, since she has special insight into people's character through her ability to perceive aura. I like that she's so fundamentally optimistic while still remarking on how things are terrible, or unpleasant, or wrong. She's a character keen to change things, to make things better, and is even aware of her own naivety as she barrels forward. I like that. I think the 'this is how people die in horror movies' line and one or two or other Rui lines (the one about Wes' eyes~~) got snorts or giggles from me. I also really like that by having soome Rui POV, we get to enjoy seeing some aura colours! Good stuff~

Neo and Novo are absolutely charming little bastards, of course. Several of my laughs were about Neo being a greedy, manipulative little brat, although I can't help but love the beautiful, handsome, clever boy, myself. Novo, meanwhile, isn't just aggro for the sake of it. Seeing inside his head fully explicated his motivation to snarl at Rui – Wes wants distance, Novo makes and keeps the distance. It reminds me of that notion that the 'vee brothers are extensions of Wes, and serve as indicators of his inner self. Neo wants and likes positive attention (I note that one of Wes' moments of empathy for Rui were about loneliness) and Novo is sus of everyone and wants to keep on track. Reaching out, keeping defensive. Tracks with their species and their combat roles, too. I love that.

I also love so much else about the eevee bros. The bacon thing is perpetually delightful of course, I chuckled at Rui sneaking some bacon to that saucer-eyed prick of an espeon. I also really loved Begging Eyes being part of the little fucker's movepool. But more significantly, I really loved the moment where Wes routinely moves a box for Novo to get a view out of the window, and the moment where Novo hypnotises Wes into a more restful sleep. Such a good guard 'mon, keeping watch at night, always concerned with safety.

Speaking of safety, I think the lack of safety is one of the elements I am most enjoying so far. Wes is constantly aware of the possibility of threats becoming aware of him or his company. Fights can involve actual injury, not just to 'mon, but to trainers. To Wes and Cipher peons both, I noticed! There is no safe place for the characters, the outskirt stand railcar room is dusty and unsecured, the Mayor's security did nothing to protect the office, everyone is trapped in Phenac as Cipher agents operate freely. Wes gives his pokémon bacon, but other 'mon go through something horrific to become Shadow 'mon. Orre feels absolutely brimming with danger, even without an oppressively grimdark tone. Love that.

Back to Wes again, I enjoy that we get to see him as a rounded edgy lone wolf dickhead, with different moods and plenty of detail. He's awkward, compassionate, and brusque. Rui finds him interesting and sympathetic and sus at times. He's sometimes able to use a little tact and care, he often gets straight to the point or keeps communication to a minimum, and sometimes he even snaps and growls. I liked that we got to see him straight up telling Rui to get lost, I think the fic needed that to sell the idea that he actually does want to cut her loose. It's good that you do show him to be kind of an asshole sometimes, and conversely that Rui can sometimes be frustrating. Having them both be sympathetic and flawed is kinda the most important thing in writing a pair of characters, y'know?

I enjoy that Wes captures several new shadow 'mon and thinks of their presence as such a bad thing. One of the things I really love about OSAS (and any fanfic remotely like it) is that it draws out so much characterful and narrative weight out of stuff that has almost no lingering on it in the canon. Wes in the games cheerfully catches a million of the fucking things because that's a good thing for the player to do, to catch all the 'mon. This Wes, though, doesn't have some arbitrary collectathon goal, and has no reason to believe having them will be anything but a terrible thing. His discomofort with them and his distinction between his 'vees and the shadow 'mon is excellent. I love that he does use Makuhita, beecause he has to, and it's such a jarring and frightful experience that he's immediately averse to even looking at the thing's wounds afterwards. It's dark in that deliciously understated way that I like so much.

Speaking of dark, chapter seven sure has some heavy stuff. Nuclear war, followed by pandemic. No wonder Orre is totally fucked! Even though mass death and ghost towns are anything but understated, the overall vibes of the conversation between the protagonists was very restrained. Enough sympathy from Wes to keep him from being an actual asshole, but enough standoffishness and grumpiness to keep him rough around the edges. Rui's positivity is coloured very differently in the context of dead parents, and I am having a great time thinking about how her determination to make a positive difference and do good must come from that tragedy in her childhood. I imagine her pushing back against cynical perspectives with furious kid energy, and trying to emulate what she believes to be the saintly character of her father in the wake of his death. Bless her.

Plus, there's a nice mix of emotional and physical whump of various different kinds. It's a veritable smorgasboard of low-intensity whump! The feeling of threat and unease in the graveyard town, the constant mutual discomfort and awkwardness, the sense of temporary reprieve from immediate danger, the guilt and worry about injured pokémon, dead relatives and uncertainty about how to talk about it, anxiety about shadow 'mon, and Wes' straight up injury. I think my favourite whumpy element is Wes toughing out severe pain and hating meds because signs of poor health are a risk factor in Snagem's brutal culture. That's fucked up! Hell, even Wes' stupid misanthropic fixation on Only These Two Pokémon Are Worth Friending implies so much loneliness and misery in his life. Goddamn.

Another nice surprise here is that Wes' hostility to the police is pretty low key, and not really distinct to his hostility to any organisation that can threaten or irritate him, but Rui isn't just a But Just Call The Cops kids, she's straight up resentful of their negligence. I really enjoy that detail. I'm quite certain that this isn't from the game, but it just slides in so well. It fits the nature of the setting and ties into that sort of thing being a norm, it explains Rui loving pokémon but refusing to be a trainer, it serves as excellent angst fodder and induces sympathy. Great move. I wonder what species they were and if that'll get developed at all as the fic proceeds...

Speaking of Rui having hidden depths, I love that she invents a plausible lie ad hoc to sell to the cops. Wes' reaction is a delight, as is her smugness about it. Of course Sherles is already onto "Snagger Leo", but it's a great moment and does a lot – it sustains her as a foil to Wes, it's humorous, it sells Rui as a genuine social asset to the conversationally disadvantaged Wes, and it makes Rui even more interesting while keeping her bright and cheerful vibes. Actually, there's a lot about the whole sequence of this chapter that just feels casually competent in terms of storytelling, I honestly relish the way you've converted some very "low-poly" interactions in the game itself into opportunities for exposition, characterisation, sustained drama and tension, and so on. It's great stuff. Really like how interacting with the asshole at the edge of Pyrite reveals that Wes can handle bad faith dickery from lowlifes so much better than Rui can, now that I think of it.

Moving on, I really enjoy your takes on Tim Sherles and Duking. Obviously everyone in Colo itself suffers from early gen pokémon franchise dialogue, shall we say, but you've done a great job making these guys feel entirely like their canon selves while also about ten times as interesting and with loads of presence. The three-way tension between them, the way Sherles puts the screws to Wes then plays good cop to his own bad cop to get hm on-side, the way he's entirely reasonable but Wes is just a defiant, pessimistic, misanthropic little shit pumped full of trauma, the moment when he calls Duking a politician and it gets under the guy's skin... It's a really fun scene that sells Wes' decision to collaborate with the rest of the cast, and that's an important thing to do. Game Wes saunters along being generically heroic for all that he's supposedly an edgelord. Your Wes is actually plausible. The blokes come off as being decent dudes tired of being impotent to effect positive change. I can buy the entire sequence of events as it happens here. Nice work.

And then, of course, there's Rui's surge of admiration for Wes because of his ostensible motives as she now perceives them. I love this because of how uncomfortable Wes is, and because it manages to balance him legimitately being more of an asshole than she thinks – just as he frames it – with emphasising that he's not actually a total scumbag. Like, he isn't manipulating her, and he is going to help, it's just that he's way more self-interested than she now seems to believe. And it's not a self-interest that feels scummy or selfish in this context, especially when he can never bring himself to actually be a bastard, y'know?

Which reminds me. His nightmares. Gosh that's grim stuff. Laying it on pretty thick at times with the murder-filled Snagem backstory, but it tracks, and it makes me feel for Wes and understand his general "abused dog" attitude. I'll come back to that, since we get a closer look at it later on...

Speaking of traumatised animals, coming up soon, we've got the debut of the new shadow 'mon crew (new crew debut). First, though, that's prefaced by Wes and Rui banter and the introduction of Duking's fam. I like the Wes/Rui dynamic a lot, and I'm relieved the pace of its evolution is fairly gradual. Bit by bit, she pushes his buttons and they become more familiar, more used to each other. The tendency for Wes to make begrudging admissions and concessions piecemeal as Rui persists is quite charming, as are the jokes and ribbing. Meanwhile, I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoyed the slew of new supporting characters. I know they'll matter later on, even if it's quite a lot of new names in a short space of time. I feel like you write kids as kids, and I enjoy that you make use of scenes like this to tease out more information about Wes and Rui, more characterisation and hanging questions, and so on. I particularly enjoy the way the different POVs demonstrate different coherent worldview's, such as with Wes' constant processing of threat and pride, or Rui's speculative wonderings about people's feelings and how she can be of use. Good stuff.

I wasn't expecting the shadow 'mon POV scenes, but damn, they do a lot of work. The choice to characterise each of them differently was a good one, as was the setting-up of an expected Bayleef POV only to pivot to Wes and Rui horrified by his violence, which really helped hammer in the sense of dread and wrongness. I love the pokémon characterisation in OSAS, which has them as distinct personalities with coherent perspectives and schema, at a level of sapience and agency that feels spot-on for the setting. I love that Quilava is terrified and anxious and desperate, Croconaw fully buys into sustained violence and her own strength, and poor old Maku is just numb. Their scenes really sell their inner worlds and what it means for them to be so traumatised and abused, and it's handled, I think, extremely well. I love that they all expect humans to be dreadful and are confused by Wes and Rui, but their rationalisations are completely different to each other. I love the little details like Quilava scratching endlessly at her own body and Croconaw approving of her name because it means mighty. I love that, later, Maku's vacant stare is attributable to putting all thoughts out of his own head in order to suppress his triggering memories. It's so thought-through and well-considered – the shadow 'mon aren't edgy set dressing or mcguffins or tools, they're thinking, feeling creatures that you've made painfully possible to empathise with. I love that you do this, to then follow up with Wes' realisation that that is a much worse level of fucked-up than he's accustomed to, and have him quietly assert to himself that those responsible are monstrous. He is gradually becoming... invested.

(Also, still waiting for him to process that what was done to him really wasn't so different. He's low key a shadow guy himself half the time.)

I think the stuff with Duking's family is similarly doing a lot of work, actually. It's more efficient than you give yourself credit for – planting seeds for future plot, giving Wes a perpetual headache while forcing him to become accustomed to other people who aren't trying to ruin his day, giving Rui opportunity to develop outright positive relationships, providing normalcy and goodness and lightheartedness (with sources of tension) to give constrast to and reprieve from the really heavy stuff. I like the different characters and their distinct voices and their human flawedness and goodness. Silva the chill and humble good dude, Johnson the beaming upbeat dipshit, Duking the grumpy single dad with way too much shit to do. I haven't had much trouble keeping up with the names, either.

Also the bacon vomit scene is ridiculously funny. Neo you gross little shit. Novo, you traitor.

I also gotta say, I really appreciate how you make everything draw from Colo itself while also making it actually track and thinking it through. Like, of course Wes can't go around openly snagging everyone's shadow 'mon without making everyone deeply sus of him and stay clear. The pickpocketing method and what you do with Lon is honestly extremely clever. It creates variety in how shadow 'mon are obtained, keeps events feeling plausible and detailed, and draws out the rising tension before Wes starts confronting villains directly.

I'm not much of an authority on pacing, but I feel like it's pretty fucking good, honestly. I'm relieved that the core character dynamic is stable while perceptibly changing – I see we're getting some "we're not a couple" bits here and there, plus that wince-worthy little "he's too good for you". No scene in OSAS so far feels repetitive or pointless to me, I can say that much. On that note about Wes secretly being a selfish bastard, I love how soft he is for the shadow 'mon and how reluctant he is to take the capsule-tech bag. He's just... not actually comfortable with wronging anyone or with exploiting or using them. He's just uncomfortable and scared and resentful. He's like an abused dog. Or a shadow 'mon. This really is a fic about trauma and trust, and if I think of the pacing as being about the narrative of that and not the narrative of beating Cipher, that's what really cements the fic as well-paced for me.

Regarding pacing, I did take the opportunity to re-read the Bacon Chapter, with my new familiarity with the shadow 'mon, and indeed with everything else in the fic. Honestly, even though it does slow the advancement of the plot, it's just altogether too delightful to miss out. The relationships between a trainer's 'mon are something I've always felt were an important but often overlooked element of pokémon fanfics, and I really appreciate that this chapter helps me buy that the 'vee bros and the shadow 'mon are coming to understand and bond with each other, which is a genuinely useful thing in my opinion. This is a fic about shadow 'mon, it's worthwhile to give this much attention to their mindsets and gradual growth, and downtime like this certainly belongs here more than it does later on when the campaign against Cipher picks up, and the threat level along with it.

I happened to have a few minor critical notes around this point and onwards, and I'll just nest them here while I have them in mind.

First, there are quite a few switches between present/flashback and between POVs, mostly in the recent few chapters, that don't get full scene breaks or transitions. I got tripped up a few times, and had to double back to check I hadn't missed a line break or something. Ones I can remember off the top of my head are Wes grilling Emok, and the nightmare-memory of Renna turning on Wes. (Side note: I love that he chooses his own name. Love it.) Second, there are a couple uses of epithets that tripped me up. The one I remember is briefly thinking that 'his trainer' and 'the boy' were different people in that Novo evolution scene. Thirdly, I think a couple of the confrontation scenes could stand a bit of editing for flow and length. For example, the vibes in the Renna bridge scene were exquisite, but it felt a little choppy in terms of dialogue. Fourthly, I was a little unsure about who Wes and Rui think folks' 'mon are stolen from, and about what wealth is generated in Orre for it to be worth smuggling ordinary consumer goods to. Giving actionable, specific crit on that will have to wait, though, because I'm busy gushing.

I think if I sat here and talked about every last little thing I enjoyed, I'd be here for a week and write a couple chapters' worth of feedback wordcount. I guess I can summarise what a good deal of them amount to with a little more brevity, though! The blood droplets from the noctowl, the near-injury and brief terror from abrupt escalations of violence, the nightmares and dark allusions and sinister implications... all amidst a story about opening the hearts of creatures in pain through patient application of love and affection. I love that OSAS is dark, without being misanthropic. There are fucked up things, there's pain and violence, but it's not gratuitous or cynical. It's part of a story that's about healing, finding goodness, love. That's my jam, Yellow. That's the good shit.

You know what else is the good shit? Distinct fucking characters that all feel human and appropriate to the fic's vibes, while also feeling memorably individual. I love that I immediately knew Rui's journal entry was hers just from the lexical register. I love how Ein's POV is chillingly unlike anyone else's (and his ominous lab rat threat, holy shit). I love that each and every shadow pokémon has such a clear and specific way that they're individually fucked up. Love that.

You know another thing that's the good shit? Gradually showing the causes, effects, and healing processes of trauma, piece by piece, in a way that's an enticing narrative, but also helps develop a nuanced and layered understanding. No memories of being around groups of people who weren't hostile. The concept of being happy in this way, but not other ways, because of what goes on in a wounded mind when stimulated wrongly. The notion that you can practice the skill of being able to have fun. Tiny smiles and crumbs of personal knowledge and understanding. The way Wes can't empathise with a happly married couple, but immediately understands how his quilava can be both brutal in battle and terrified outside of battle. Bayleef's comfort levels differing between humans. Triggers for conditioned behaviour. Hating to be seen as weak, even as a kid. Hypnosis every damn night. There's so much to pick up on, all the time.

And another thing! The humour in this is not only good, but variable. Wes' snark, Rui's goofing, Rui's 'parenting', anything said by Johnson, anything done by Neo. I particularly enjoyed the bit where Rui recollects attempts at chat with Wes during moments of particularly laconic unsociability. Poor girl. This lad has no ability to carry a conversation, huh.

And another thing! I approve of the way characters get to emerge continuously, like how Rui's reason for not training pokémon comes out, Sherles cutting off Johnson's dumbass question, Wes' capacity to respect the man, and so on. They're developing, sure, but they're consistent, there's continuity of character, what we learn about them tracks. What they learn about each other, too. It was a skitty, asks the guy who's always watching behaviours and figuring out intent.

And another thing! I love that there's a conservation of detail and a presentation of information that demonstrates a trust in smart readers to pick up on things. I've done that a lot with the core characters so far, but don't think I didn't notice that timestamp on 'last time' Ein's colleague produced some serum. I suspect Noctis was Cipher's handiwork. Can't wait to see where you take threads like this.

And another thing! I think the worldbuilding is legitimately really solid where it counts, having enough verisimilitude that I only rarely found myself questioning any particular point of it, and enough specific and interesting details to capture my interest, ranging from the attribution of Orre's widespread squalor to the disasters of twenty years ago, to the way Agate's nature as a settlement of retired trainers shapes Rui's expectations of other towns, to the fantastical behaviour of intelligent pokémon such as Novo's hypnosis treatments. I especially enjoy Wes' training acumen, which is basically spot-on for what I like to see in more canon-adjacent works and really feels proficient enough to justify his competence. He demonstrates a great balance of permissiveness and discipline that demonstrates love and responsibility for his team, and I enjoy that his battle acumen derives from a mix of preparedness – pre-trained combo commands are a nice touch – and improvisation, such as with lobbing balls at shadow 'mon just to remove them from combat, even temporarily. I loved that capturing them felt less like a triumph, and more like an unfortunate drawback of the necessary tactic!

On that note, another thing I like is the way the characters manage to have a hard time without looking like morons in the process. It's a lovely thing to see characters fail or suffer because they made an understandable poor decision, or they were outmatched, or they couldn't do better while under some encumbrance or limitation, rather than because they got handed the idiot ball so something could go wrong. Characters behave like people, not always reasonable but always in line with their characterisation and with the circumstances. A particularly good example of this would be Wes' successful acquisition of the shadow 'mon but at the cost of injury to himself and his team that has a lasting impact on them for the subsequent chapter. Great stuff. Always feels like things will keep going wrong in a gripping way while still making bloody sense.

Speaking of things going wrong, even after the investigation gets its first real lead, chapter sixteen gives us the introduction of a deeply sinister antagonist, and a confrontation on Cipher's terms after it's become clear they mean to kill Wes and capture Rui. Good grief, how alarming! That panic that sets in as Rui remembers the burlap sack? Love it. Not 'being kidnapped' or 'afraid' but the burlap, the gasping, the heat. Details like that are such good writing – that's how you do showing rather than telling! That's how you build stakes without blandly insisting that things are a big deal! There's a lot of both in OSAS, and it's part of why it's so bloody readable. That, and the characters mattering to me. Even with all the stakes and drama, it was a chapter named for a scene of interpersonal bonding and unprecedented openness from Wes, admitting – of all things – to having a favourite colour. I love a fic that can give me a grin of satisfaction because an edgelord guy said he likes the dark blue coat he wears. Looking forward to more milestones like that, and I'm not even joking~

I really could babble about all sorts of different elements of this fic, to be honest. There's something to be said for a fic that's just damn well hitting the mark across the board, I think it makes it robustly enjoyable. I insist you keep going with this and trust in your ability to write a compelling story. I have every confidence in that outcome, my dear Yellow, and I'm looking forward to the next installment very much – especially considering where the last chapter left us!

Can't wait 'til next time!

Top Bottom