• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[Town victory] Vanilla Mafia!

Homestar!

Mikeposter/Galaxy-Brainer
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. nidoqueen
[[ [...] Don't force a godkill from me. ]]
"That's an option?" Mike --- who had hunkered down next to Reme, her fire, and her mocha-in-progress --- tried to find Diyem's eyes.

"We don't have to play? We can just... Ask? And be done?"

He stared long and hard into the swirling, dark brew in front of him.

He bit his lip. He shuffled. He sniffed. He tried to think of it like a deep, strong cup of coffee. Finally, he rose from the squat he had been in.

"I'm out," He called. He trudged over to where the dragon stood, his knees and hands betraying his nerves. Even in the cold, it was clear that he was shaking. "I'm a liability. I don't understand the rules, there's no reason to trust me, but I can't die either. Not without the whole town throwing the whole day away. That's not fair to them. To anyone, really. We're all fighting for our lives and I, well..."

He turned to Kent, the stranger in an even stranger world. Honestly, of any of them, they were the two misfits.

"If it means a better chance for everyone else," Mike murmured, "then I'm done. No need to fight about it. I'm just..." His shoulders heaved. A long sigh rattled a cloud of fog from his lips. He laughed. "I'm done, Diyem. Let's go."

[[While it has been a very fun learning experience, this has also been a very tough learning experience. I can't help but think I severely kneecapped town prospects from the word 'go,' due to rash immature play and a failure to understand the basic rules. I also can't help but think, due to the nature of my power, I am either stuck here until the bitter end or I am forced to waste a whole day of the town's time. For both personal and strategic reasons, I resign effective immediately.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[But that doesn't answer why Wind's claims make a good amount of sense, unless they're mafia rolecop?? And they think Inke is helpful to us? But roleclaiming cop is almost as bad as claiming lovers.

Also wait what. What does Mafia doctor do? Protect someone in the night? ]]
[[I feel like this could be a desperate mafia play, though. Get us to mislynch even once and they stand a chance to kill FOUR of us in one night. Town is extremely vulnerable right now so every lynch is crucial.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Like my point is, claiming cop is ridiculously easy to disprove once night time comes/we lynch and will literally get wind 100% guranteed killed.

[[I feel like this could be a desperate mafia play, though. Get us to mislynch even once and they stand a chance to kill FOUR of us in one night. Town is extremely vulnerable right now so every lynch is crucial.]]
But it is a fair point that they could be gambling on being able to get four kills a night.

Even so I'm still very inclined to believe wind, for now. Will see what happens later.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[Question, can mafia talk to each other at all times, or only during the night?]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[While it has been a very fun learning experience, this has also been a very tough learning experience. I can't help but think I severely kneecapped town prospects from the word 'go,' due to rash immature play and a failure to understand the basic rules. I also can't help but think, due to the nature of my power, I am either stuck here until the bitter end or I am forced to waste a whole day of the town's time. For both personal and strategic reasons, I resign effective immediately.]]
[[It's still helpful to remain, as I believe Jackie said earlier.

And if my earlier textposts came off as too harsh I apologize (some nuance was lost over text) but its the nature of the game to pressure people to get them to spill secrets/flip/trip themselves up.

So even if you choose not to participate I understand, but there's no reason to kill off your role/placement. Every town that remains is a chance to win still.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Question, can mafia talk to each other at all times, or only during the night?]]
[[We don't know. I know lovers can night talk but idk if mafia can daytalk.]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
“What?” Wes snapped is head around to look at Ebony. “Why didn’t you say something earlier? Not that I doubt you, but…”

Ebony blinked. "Because I only just now figured it out! I didn't have any proof, I was just thinking about what people said."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Oh wait! i just realized! Why try to get us to mislynch when not only will that result in massive suspicon on Reme too if Wind is mafia but they could get four nightkills already if they wanted?

I don't think hard claiming cop does enough for scum bc they still 100% lose wind for sure and cause more scum problems than they help. Right?]]

Homestar!

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. nidoqueen
[[It's still helpful to remain, as I believe Jackie said earlier.

And if my earlier textposts came off as too harsh I apologize (some nuance was lost over text) but its the nature of the game to pressure people to get them to spill secrets/flip/trip themselves up.

So even if you choose not to participate I understand, but there's no reason to kill off your role/placement. Every town that remains is a chance to win still.]]
[[I could write a whole treatise on why I don't wanna be here anymore, tbh.

And to be honest, I am incredibly excited for the next game, too! I've always learned best from the school of hard knocks. I'm gonna galaxy-brain the ever-loving shit out of you nerds next round.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[Oh wait! i just realized! Why try to get us to mislynch when not only will that result in massive suspicon on Reme too if Wind is mafia but they could get four nightkills already if they wanted?

I don't think hard claiming cop does enough for scum bc they still 100% lose wind for sure and cause more scum problems than they help. Right?]]
[[Going out on a limb here, but mafia could be panicking rn because they were *expecting* at least one lover pair to die. They obviously targeted Steven because he was a huge threat with his role, and hoped that SK would maybe take out one pair—but then our doctor chose well and saved them? And perhaps they targeted the other pair with their mafia healer in hopes for a healer clash? That’s what I’m thinking. Hmm, I’ll have to think this over some more though…]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[My suspicion is that steven was our role cop. When I wasn't certain whether Sind was a lover or just vanilla, I thought perhaps she and steven had each gotten names of the lovers. Sind has since more or less proven her role claim is true though, in my eyes.

The reason I chose to reveal this early is because in every game I played in, the cop died very early, two times because of keen mafia eyes picking up little slip ups or hints. And once because they went hard on a mafia member the first day and got mislynched. I was worried about dying without getting a chance to get anything useful out.]]

[[We don't know. I know lovers can night talk but idk if mafia can daytalk.]]
[[In all previous games on TR they've been able to, I believe. I know we could when I played the first and second ani games. I would assume this one is the same, but I don't know for sure.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[I’m not sure what to think, tbh. I think a safe bet might still be to gun for Bartholomew and then, uh, if you’re alive the next day we can investigate further? I just REALLY don’t want to mislynch and I don’t know who to trust right now.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[“You” was directed at Wind, for the record.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[I’m now torn because I was so sure of Altair’s innocence, aghhhhhh. But having two bulletproof town members just seems really weird. I’d find it more likely that there would be one town BP and one mafia BP due to there being an SK. So it’s totally possible that Altair is actually mafia and was targeted by SK.]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
Altair only laughed at the metallic man's accusation. "You're not so good a liar yourself. You and your little posse shot me last night, didn't you? Because it is awfully convenient that I was shot last night and here you are, claiming I'm not to be trusted. But you know what?" Altair grinned. "You're right, but I am not scum. Not this time."

[[No point in hiding it anymore/denying since I was never playing to win and no matter what, I'm not making it to D3, even if Wind's telling the truth. Either you lynch me today (which, fair enough), or I get shot again by the Mafia N2:

Altair is the Serial Killer with OS-Bulletproof as a modifier.

Which answers the question of why I was shot instead of one of the Lovers, for example. I believe that the Mafia Role-Cop read Altair last night and tried to shoot him (because obviously, you want to get rid of the SK ASAP). Wind has essentially outed herself as Mafia here. This entire song and dance with claiming Cop is to try and clear any and all suspicion off Anti, and (possibly) by extension, Reme.

So, Town. You have two options, neither of which I will object to:
  1. Lynch Altair today and continue scum-hunting over the next few days.
  2. Leave Altair alone and scum hunt. You lynch a scum while Altair gets shot again by the Mafia. And, since I'd like to take the Mafia down with me, I can give you a free NK on one of the biggest scum-reads left alive.
Your choice. GG.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[BRUHHHHHH WHAT]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[IFJAKSONALSIYANSOCTTSBDODYVO]]

Homestar!

Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. nidoqueen
"Oh, wait, waitwaitwait," Mike stopped in his tracks, pulling his letter from his breast pocket. He flipped open the envelope and revealed a hastily scrawled essay. It was long, convoluted, and covered with little arrows and numbers to point where someone ought to read next.

"I can't very well leave without explaining 'Operation: Trustfall,' can I?" He grinned, unfurled the paper, and swooped a hand infront of himself.

"Imagine," Mike began, fire in his eyes and a grin on his lips, "a world where we didn't have a funky bulletproof claim to make me look even more like an idiot..."

[[WARNING! The below contains NO READS; only a completely bonkers plan I came up with at, like, 2 AM yesterday. But I can't help but share the insanity that this game made me go through.

The following is directed as an open letter to the Serial Killer. While I encourage all players to read it, you should know that it contains no reads or accusations (except, obviously, on myself). Honestly, I wouldn’t even openly talk about this (because jfc we have gone through a lot of pages). I offer this as “food for thought” for the rest of you.

I have unanimously and unquestionably lost the trust of the group after fucking up big-time Day 1. I would like to recoup that trust.

In order to regain it, I hereby ask the Serial Killer to attempt to kill me tonight.

I am Town Bulletproof. In order to prove that I am both Town and OSBP, I am asking the SK to pop my protection. I will be alerted that my OSPB went off, but I will not be told who did it (not the faction, or the power). The SK remains anonymous, we skip a kill that night, I report that my bubble popped, you can all trust me that I am (or was) Town BP.

Why the SK should do this:
  • The SK needs to deal with my OSBP sooner or later; instead of firing blind tonight or counting on a town vote to eliminate me, I ask that they spend this round “using their power for good” and buy some town trust by helping garner some town trust in me.

Why the Mafia should like this:
  • Either you let the SK pop my bubble, which makes me a Vanilla Town and easier to get later, or you pile in with the SK to eliminate me tonight without wasting Juggernaut!

Why Town should believe this:
  • I am “using my power” in the only way I can: wasting the time/resources of the Mafia. We can get one less kill tonight, and even potentially buy an extra day.
  • In addition: Mafia cannot shoot themselves (rules as written and/or common sense ) and we have no “switcheroo” roles (word of god).

Why I should do this:
  • Tbh, now that I understand the game, I actually want to keep playing it. But nobody here has any reason to trust me, because I was an absolute moron on Day 1. I can only apologize so much for what I did, and actions speak louder than words. I would like to play at least this round (and possibly the next) without a shitload of suspicion of my every word. I know that I memepost, but I leaned that way because it really felt like nothing I said mattered anymore. I would like to at least be considered. Remember: I called the Porygon Gambit before the PoryTrain picked up steam. I know I’m not as dumb as we think I am.
  • tl;dr: I would rather play 1-to-2 more phases with trust than durdle away a month without it.

Attached below is the full reasoning behind this gambit. But, succinctly:

This is a win-win scenario for everyone involved, and here is why:

A: If I am wrong, I am gone.
  • If I am lying about being OSBP, and the SK agrees to kill, I will die to the SK. They get another free kill, and you eliminate a stupid/meddlesome/scum player from the pool. There is no reason I would make this gambit as any role but OSBP, and very little reason to make it as Mafia.

B: If both the SK and the Mafia target me tonight, I “used my power to its extent.”
  • The SK and the Mafia will waste an entire night killing just me. Nobody else falls, and you eliminate an idiot. The mafia “wastes” their night killing me.

C: Mafia is highly unlikely to have BP, even with an SK. If my bubble pops, I am Town.
  • This is the weakest point in my plan. I admit that I am new to mafia, and thus have very little clue as to how common-place BP is on the Mafia side. To me, it seems like a power most useful (to the point of being exclusive) to Town (especially with a single SK). But, again: Mafia can’t (or is strongly incentivized not to) shoot Mafia.

D: If the SK does not target me, but the Mafia decides to Juggernaut me, I have also “used my power to its fullest extent.”
  • I assume the Mafia has a single Juggernaut. If we make them blow that shot, I assume that my death flavor will reveal it. So, if B is true or D is true, either way, my power was successful!

E: If I am not targeted at all, both the SK and the Mafia are delaying the inevitable.
  • Both need to deal with my OSBP somehow. They can “counter-gambit” and not target me, but that leads to:

F: If I am not targeted at all, we effectively learn nothing
  • This gambit will be effective one round only.
  • If I am not targeted this round, the two main reasons are obvious: Either I am Mafia and SK can’t be trusted, or Mafia doesn’t want to pop the bubble/kill and SK can’t be trusted.
  • Either way, I will catch the Sacrifice on Day 3, because I am “obviously mafia” if they don’t shoot.
  • But if I was Mafia, why on earth would I pull this stunt in the first place?
G: If I am Mafia OSBP, what the absolute fuck am I doing!?
  • Mafia numbers are already very thin, especially with a clutch Day 1 vote (cough cough CALLED IT). OSBP is borderline useless for Mafia for day phases (can’t defend against what you can’t receive), but CLUTCH to have against the SK. They would not willingly organize to sacrifice it, even for a galaxy-brain play like this. There’s enough brains to rein in the galaxy-brain shit, imo.
  • On the other hand, Town OSBP has a much higher chance of their power actually mattering, as they are more susceptible during night phases. Of any players, they’re borderline encouraged to galaxy-brain. I personally value the town’s trust more than having a shield that I can no longer ‘secretly’ use (since I fucked up my gambit).
  • According to our base rules, there are no Bus Drivers or any other sorts of “switcheroo” powers running around. Mafia either cannot shot their own or would never willingly shoot their own. Because of this, there will never be a double mafia kill in the night phases of this game.
  • I bring this up because, if I were Mafia OSBP, I could potentially launch this gambit, have another mafia member shoot me, and ta-da! Trust! But the Mafia cannot/would not willingly shoot themselves, and even if they could, it would be the absolute dumbest play to make.

H: If this all seems sus as fuck, you Sacrifice me this round.
  • Instead of voting out a random (if we can’t come to a consensus), you vote out the village idiot who already claimed (and in this case wasted) his power. It’s no worse than voting a vanilla town. In fact, for some, they might see this as better, because I will no longer be a factor. And also that means I can go back to playing MtG, helping with chores, working, etc., without constant stress. So even this, the worst of options, is great for me.

Please point out any inconsistencies in this plan!

Also fuckin’ TAKE THE SHOT, SK!
]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Which answers the question of why I was shot instead of one of the Lovers, for example. I believe that the Mafia Role-Cop read Altair last night and tried to shoot him (because obviously, you want to get rid of the SK ASAP).
[[Uhhh except we already established that by vanilla rules, the rolecop would see a SK as vanilla? It caused the whole Mike/Kent debacle yesterday. Like in theory I could believe that you're SK. But if you are and you really did get shot by the mafia, it's probably not because of them reading you via rolecop]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[Uhhh except we already established that by vanilla rules, the rolecop would see a SK as vanilla? It caused the whole Mike/Kent debacle yesterday. Like in theory I could believe that you're SK. But if you are and you really did get shot by the mafia, it's probably not because of them reading you via rolecop]]

[[This was never confirmed. It's GM dependent. What's on the Wiki may not translate to this game.]]

Top Bottom