• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[Town victory] Vanilla Mafia!

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
download20210802174805.png "This is all too fast for me... I'm getting tired..."

What I think happened is this: Blu was assigned as either Mafia or SK, and decided to play some Nth-Dimensional chess with our heartstrings. I'd rather risk losing a third on the thin chance that I saw the Megamind play than sit and twiddle my thumbs."

Salem puffed up her cheeks and pinned her ears back in frustration.

download20210803220746.png "That's a false dichotomy! You don't have to believe in some weird unlikely possibility based on something most people wouldn't think of, or do nothing! You could do literally anything else! Like question the quiet foxes!"

"Kent, I believe your innocence."

download20210802123401.png "This guy is saying a lot of words, but he isn't actually saying many things..."

I... I HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT... I don't want anyone to ever be alone and scared and, (sob) and have no friends forever!!!!

download20210803215810.png "..."

Being alone and scared and not having friends... Salem said nothing. She didn't want to talk about that. Because she had to help solve the game. That was why.

"Sorry. Gonna try and... not be like that tomorrow, assuming I live."

download20210802110612.png "You've been like that all day! You didn't change at all!"

[[ Readlist for now.]]

[[Your readlist puts the people who think you're town as town and the people who are calling out your scummy play as sus. You could not more transparently be a liability to town, either because you're Mafia, you're SK, or you're a Town player that's so unhelpful you'll worsen our chances of winning in the long run.]]

[[ ALSO I could not have claimed to be straight up Vanilla because then I would have likely been asked what hint I got, to which I would be unable to answer. As I understand it, only pure Vanilla roles get some kind of hint; any other role does not. ]]

download20210802231614.png "How would you know that vanillas got hints if you weren't a vanilla or a member of the Mafia? If you were an innocent lover you wouldn't have known that so early! You're lying!"

download20210802225306.png "Anyway, no way are there no goons! This is a vanilla game, there have to be goons... Mafia lovers seem really unlikely to me and I don't see any point in wasting time speculating about it! It's much more sensible for there to be very few Mafia, maybe four, but two pairs of lovers so town get picked off faster."

[[Speaking of ways town can die faster... What about doctor overhealing? That came up, let's not brush over it.]]

download20210802073744.png "I read my letter from Diyem really thoroughly and . . . I think 'healer clash' is normal, actually! The letter seems to be saying that it's really really common and has been in lots of games for a while now, to prevent really strong strategies that stop the Mafia standing a chance of winning! So... So I think just in case there are more than one Doctor on the Innocent side, (and I really hope both our dead townies weren't doctors!!) then they should think about this random healing idea just in case!"

[[Readlist and vote coming soon]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[@unrepentantauthor did you miss my role claim or]]

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
"How would you know that vanillas got hints if you weren't a vanilla or a member of the Mafia? If you were an innocent lover you wouldn't have known that so early! You're lying!

From that shadow cube came another reply, this time sounding fairly angry: "I've been listening to what others are saying! Both the ones actually here and these weird-ass voices we all got above our heads! If you had even half a brain to be paying attention, you'd know that too!"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[You completely glazed over it.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[I think Jackie is still catching up and is replying to things as she goes? So give her a sec]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
download20210802073744.png
"I read my letter from Diyem really thoroughly and . . . I think 'healer clash' is normal, actually! The letter seems to be saying that it's really really common and has been in lots of games for a while now, to prevent really strong strategies that stop the Mafia standing a chance of winning! So... So I think just in case there are more than one Doctor on the Innocent side, (and I really hope both our dead townies weren't doctors!!) then they should think about this random healing idea just in case!"
[[Hmm, is it? The doctor page on the wiki Namo linked to doesn't mention healer clash/overdose at all, as far as I can tell.]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
"I read my letter from Diyem really thoroughly and . . . I think 'healer clash' is normal, actually! The letter seems to be saying that it's really really common and has been in lots of games for a while now, to prevent really strong strategies that stop the Mafia standing a chance of winning! So... So I think just in case there are more than one Doctor on the Innocent side, (and I really hope both our dead townies weren't doctors!!) then they should think about this random healing idea just in case!"
Ebony balked. "Whaaat? Where did you you see that? It's not mentioned in the guide. I don't think it's normal at all. And... and it definitely doesn't make sense for people new at the game! It sounds really hard!"

[[Going ooc for a bit. I seriously can't find any instance of heal clash anywhere on the wiki, or anywhere on google even? In fact the only results at all are... TCoD and TR. Where are you getting that it's Normal?]]

"Also... if one of us was a healer and their heal power could do a dumb thing like that, they'd have been told about it. So if you're a healer, and your letter didn't mention it, then it's not a thing and you shouldn't worry about it."

Homestar!

Mikeposter/Galaxy-Brainer
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. nidoqueen
He gives me a pretty strong 'newbie player trying to galaxy brain' read.]]
[[YOU BET YOUR ASS I DO.

I've never played internet Mafia, but I've played a lot of similar deceit-based games IRL. If I had a firmer understanding of the rules (specifically wrt RC), I never would have punted away my gambit so early.]]

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora

[[Yeah give me a damn minute, mate! I'm writing as fast as I can.]]

From that shadow cube came another reply, this time sounding fairly angry: "I've been listening to what others are saying! Both the ones actually here and these weird-ass voices we all got above our heads! If you had even half a brain to be paying attention, you'd know that too!"

[[You made your claim before it was confirmed that vanillas all get hints. And although, to be fair, Yellow did raise the possibility before you made your claim, it was a matter of contention until after your claim. I think I'm gonna drop this line of reasoning after studying the timing of the posts concerning this issue, but my most charitable interpretation here is that you are town lover and made a really bad play by implying it when you could have just said you were keeping your hint secret to catch out scum or something to that effect.]]

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
[[Re: healer clash, I know the wiki link doesn't mention it, but I've seen discussion of it elsewhere when scouring the internet for ideas for my own games, it's come up in TR games before, and I think it's a likely mechanic in this game. The letter thing is just IC flavour.]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[YOU BET YOUR ASS I DO.

I've never played internet Mafia, but I've played a lot of similar deceit-based games IRL. If I had a firmer understanding of the rules (specifically wrt RC), I never would have punted away my gambit so early.]]
[[I feel you, man. Playing mafia irl is SO different and way simpler than playing online, I’ve found.]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Mm." Diyem opened one eye again. "People who possess their roles will be fully aware of the extent and specifics of their powers. A lot of confusion is speculation about powers that people may or may not have, based on historical uses of powers from nearby realms or otherwise." Diyem shrugged. "There is a chance that something non-Normal came up unexpectedly, because apparently nothing of this game can be simple."

[[ In other words, while I did my best to keep things as simple as possible, there is a chance that some things were either not specified publicly, or erroneously thought of as Normal when they aren't, etc. Unless you have the letter yourself, there is no true certainty. Additionally, a possibility of another role entirely, like that caveat I had given in the rule list, is possible... And, of course, the possibility of duplicate roles, which has already been aired multiple times. While a simpler game, there are many things still on the table.]]

"Unfortunately," Diyem said, "clarifying the rules at this stage in the game can affect or disproportionately affect other characters' statements, gambits, innocence, or otherwise. So that will be how things remain: Only the true letter owners will know the specifics of their powers, if there were any ambiguous or uncertain things said on the wiki."

He stood. "Now, I am going to start tallying the votes. We are nearing sundown."

[[I feel you, man. Playing mafia irl is SO different and way simpler than playing online, I’ve found.]]

[[ It's because roles are nor dynamic and, in general, there's less time to really delve into things. irl mafia is more about body language and poker faces. Forum mafia is all about logical deduction and behavior tracking. Maybe that'll be part 2 of Mafia Tutorial...]]

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
[[ It's because roles are nor dynamic and, in general, there's less time to really delve into things. irl mafia is more about body language and poker faces. Forum mafia is all about logical deduction and behavior tracking. Maybe that'll be part 2 of Mafia Tutorial...]]
[[Oh, absolutely! I wasn’t saying one was better than the other, only agreeing with Homestar because last game I naively assumed I’d be fine since I had experience playing irl. Annnnnd I was thus not prepared for how complicated it could get, lol.]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Near-End votes:

Kent: 2 (Sinderella, Homestar)
Clovis: 4 (Flyg0n, Abra, Equi, Yellow)
Mike: 1 (Persephone)
Nobody: 1 (Phant)

2 hours and 20 minutes remain

[[Correct me if I misplaced anybody, there was a lot of shuffling.]]

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
download20210803215930.png "...We might have two pairs of lovers and I don't know whether it's true and it's giving me a headache! But I still don't like how Hana kept insisting both that there could be two pairs of lovers but also that Clovis couldn't be trusted, at the same time. And Kent has behaved in a more suspicious way than anyone!! But then... If they were Mafia, they'd be taking a huge risk by insisting on this so hard! Meanwhile we have other players not trying to figure out who the Mafia are at all and we should be talking about them more, and I don't like it!!"

Top Bottom