• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Errant Sword [KtK RP Thread; Mission 1]

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
For the briefest of moments, there is a glimmer of hope in the eyes of Nori. It quickly fades as Lumen fails to make any headway. “And I guess I can’t power you up, either. Thank you for trying at least.” He shakes his head with a sigh, bracing himself against the tree. His head turns to glance behind him. “Stupid world. Fine, may as well take a look around this place.”

With this, he marches up to the slope and gives it a glance. Steep as it appeared, there seemed to be enough rocks around to scale it. Water was one thing, but this was no trouble. He climbed the cliffs around Route 214 all the time, and these weren’t close to those. He went up and down a slope like this today (in his world), in fact.

Pachi had followed and looked up at the slope. “Are we really going to climb that?” he asks with a measure of hesitation, taking a step back.

“Okay, Pachi, hang on tight…” Nori instructs, picking up his Pokemon and placing him on his back. It wasn’t that much extra weight. Pachi squeaks with surprise at first, but evidently trusts him enough to not fuss over it. “And if you see anything bad, jump off and get it!”

“Okay!” Pachi says, with a similar inflection to how his trainer said the word.

With a huff, Nori does some quick stretches and starts up. Slowly, one bit at a time, mainly using the rocks as footholds and testing to make sure they or the dirt weren’t going to crumble under him. Compared to the sight of the water, he’s going up the slope with confidence. He glances back for a second before getting more than a meter up. “Anyone else coming? We might be able to find a vine or something for the others, so there won’t be as much back and forth with transport.”

Last edited:

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
"I agree with exploring our current island. Teleporting someone with me up the slope shouldn't pose a problem, if anyone would like to volunteer."
"Could you take me up?" Nova asked. "I really want to see what's up there, and if we find danger, I feel a little stronger than I did back home for some reason."

"And even if we don't find anything, I'm sure it will at least make a good vantage point to see where to go from here, or maybe see a better way to that weird island in the distance." She added.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
"Oh, right." Josie perks up after hearing about the slope. "I can go up there and see if we can find anything useful. I'm coming, guys! Wait for me!" She follows those who go up the slope, legs skittering on the rocky wall. She climbs slowly, but she doesn't give up, using her web to avoid slipping back down to the sand.

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. jfought-sword
  2. jfought-blue
  3. deerling-summer
  4. charmeleon
  5. vulpix
  6. monferno
"Could you take me up?" Nova asked. "I really want to see what's up there, and if we find danger, I feel a little stronger than I did back home for some reason."
The gardevior nodded. "Of course."

Inwardly, Lumen sighed with relief. It was frustrating to admit, but the prospect of teleporting one of the humans here felt... uncertain. As he approached the eevee and rubbed his wrists, he could feel that uncertainty, hiding in dark corners of his mind and deep within his chest. You have done well so far. You just need more time to acclimate. To stop overthinking this.

He knelt down to Nova's level before reaching out to her. Then hesitated. Actually, I'm uncertain about touching anyone.

It didn't matter, he could take advantage of that. "You may feel dizzy," he warned, then placed his left hand on her head and focused on the top of the slope. Any awkwardness he felt was channeled into his right hand as he lifted it, and then...

*Snap!*

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
The trees thickened the further up the slope, growing so dense it would take a bit of effort to navigate. Still, for any keen eyed explore it proved to have plenty of hand and footholds and thick roots to give stability. Flying proved a bit easier. Windy, with a few strong gusts, but manageable. A birds eye view revealed that the island’s slope ended in a cliff that dropped off into a half-moon shaped cove. From the ground level, it was a great view of the circular bay, rimmed with bright plants, and overlooking the shining blue expanse. The edges of the cliff curved around and sloped downward on either side, meeting the sea below.

It would have been rather picturesque.

If not for the dar, jagged crystal structure taking up half the cove.

A ring of dark purple crystals spiked from the sea, forming a cage-like structure. Something appeared to be trapped inside. Drawing closer would reveal there was something inside. Or technically, someone. Between the gaps of the crystals, a gigantic Mantine could be seen trapped within. A good few times larger than any ordinary Mantine. Occasionally it would strike the crystal lethargically, but its attacks didn't seem to have much effect.

Negrek

komorebi
Staff
Nate's expression darkened as Clink described what had happened the last time they'd seen Keldeo. The only reason no one had died last time they paid the guy a visit was that he had explicitly not skewered anybody when he got the chance. Mightyena padded back over to him, and he rubbed the side of her neck, trying to soothe himself as much as her.

They didn't exactly have long to feel bad about the situation. The crystal before them cracked and crumbled, and Clink unlocked the door to Keldeo's domain before they missed their chance. Mightyena didn't have to goad Nate into going through this time, though he did spare a wistful moment for the pink sky and the weird trees. It would be nice to visit this place sometime when there wasn't some evil or other threatening.

Through the portal, a broad sea stretched out between the portal and their presumed destination, Extremely Scary-Looking Crystal Place. This looked like exactly the kind of problem for Wallace. But as Nate looked around--Wallace wasn't here, was he?

For the first time Nate took a real look at the other people Clink had summoned. He'd been too preoccupied by his conversation to pay much attention to them earlier. Obviously there were some new ones in the mix, but Nate had sort of assumed that if he was here, at least a few of Murder Island's former inhabitants would have showed up, too. But his heart sank as he took in the group of people crowding the beach. Where was Odette? Or either of the Weses? (Wesi? Wes... sss?) That girl with the ninetales? Or more importantly: the girl with the pikachu, the other one who'd stared Keldeo down. She had to be here, didn't she? She couldn't miss this.

He couldn't possibly be the only one who'd come back.

There weren't many trainers at all this time, but it looked like they'd brought more pokémon with them. And then there was... a fucking latios? It didn't feel good that they were missing the firepower of multiple champions this time around, but a latios was fucking impressive. And the kind of pokémon that'd have no trouble with a little water.

Right. They had to get across the fucking ocean somehow for the pleasure of getting their asses kicked by evil Keldeo. Nate tried to clamp down on his worries about the other trainers. (Nothing had happened to them, had it? Clink didn't lose track of them or nothing? There was no way they would have chosen simply not to come.) It was clear there weren't enough fliers and swimmers to take everybody across unless they wanted to be ferrying all day. With a last curious look out across the water, Nate turned and followed the group deeper into the trees.

"I guess I will investigate the cliff as well. We might find something worthwhile there."

Shou'an flew upwards into the air, almost lazily, as he surveyed the area around him. Immediately, the cage-like structure caught his eye; not because of the Pokemon trapped inside it, but because the crystals seemed similar to what he saw when he arrived. In fact...it might do us good to find out what exactly those crystals are, and how, if in any way at all, one could break them.

He flew forward, circling around the ring of crystals, not daring to touch the crystals, for fear it contained a curse, or something similar. To him, it looked remarkably like zishuijing, and if the crystals were at all similar to it, they would shatter easily. From a distance, he raised a paw in the air, casting a Lustre Purge directly toward the crystal ring.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
Josie gasped in shock at the sight before her. "Oh, no!" She turned around, waving a leg at the others on the sand. "Hey, guys! There's a huge Mantine over here, and they look like they need help! I'll do whatever I can to help them out of these weird dark crystals!" She turned back to the Mantine with worried eyes, hopping down to the cove to get a closer look. "Hey there! Don't worry, we'll get you outta there in a snap!" She examined the crystals, careful not to get too close in case they had a corruptive or poisonous force. "Okay, there should be a way to break these... How about this?" She skitters in place, charging up static around her body until a Volt Ball hovered above her head. She grabbed it with her front legs and threw it at one of the crystals, seeing the results of her attack. "That should crack it, right?"

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
For an outdoorsy and decently athletic type like Nori, it doesn’t take him long at all to make it through the mess of trees and stuff on the steeper part of the slope. He breaks through to the plateau…and takes a couple cautious steps back at the sight of the drop. He shudders, remembering when he slipped and fell off a cliff just like this. It didn’t look like there was an easy way to get down safely, either.

So instead, he double backs to the slope. “HEY GUYS!!” he hollers down to anyone still below, putting his hands around his mouth to (try to) amplify the sound. Pachi peeks over his shoulder. “There’s a big Mantine trapped in a crystal cage down in the bay!” Unlike some of the others, he does not even think of trying to break it, and not just because Pachi was not likely to be able to do much. There had to be something else to this. He puts Pachi down and looks for anything that stands out. Cautiously, mind you.

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
Clink lingered near the shore for a time with the rest of the group, examining the trees thoughtfully. A full boat might be too complex, but it did seem like a simple raft was plausible. "Perhaps a raft would be a viable method," they mused. "There are some of you strong enough to try and pull it." It was a stretch, but the ones they'd called were at least not too huge... and that Winged King. Yes, hadn't Kupara mentioned they could swim?

They glanced back towards the portal, still open... Would he...?

A final shape appeared from the portal. Sleek green scales, hardened from a lifetime of battles. Diamond wings and magenta eye shields. A Flygon, wearing a white chef's hat.

Clink twirled in the air, delighted at the familiar face. "Chef! You came!"

Chef Flygon bowed deeply. "Greetings Clink, my friend! I do apologize for being late. Kupara explained the rest to me, and I am ready to assist however I can." He waved to the others on the beach. "My name is Chef Flygon."

Gesturing to the distant haze of clouds and the dark island, as well as the closer one, Clink rattled their keys anxiously. "We need to cross the water somehow. A raft of some kind?"

Chef Flygon crossed the sand and squinted into the distance considering carefully. "Yes, that may work..."

The cries of Jojo and Nori drew their attention and the two turned and glanced up the slope. Chef Flygon narrowed his gaze. "It seems trouble is already afoot."

From a distance, he raised a paw in the air, casting a Lustre Purge directly toward the crystal ring.
The attack struck the crystals hard, leaving behind a faint dent. Almost immediately, they changed color, becoming a shadowy black. It was hard to tell but the energy they gave off felt different somehow. ...Darker?

How about this?" She skitters in place, charging up static around her body until a Volt Ball hovered above her head. She grabbed it with her front legs and threw it at one of the crystals, seeing the results of her attack. "That should crack it, right?"
Another crack, but so small it was barely visible. The crystals color flickered again, this time turning dark earthy brown.

From within, the Mantine gave an excited cry. "Hey, finally! Someone shows up!" Annoyance colored her tone, but directed more at the situation than the group. "Sheesh. I think I've been here for days and days. I tried to use attacks on these stupid crystals but they keep changing and my attacks barely make a dent. Thought I was gonna be stuck here forever!"

Chef Flygon fluttered to land at the edge of the beach near the crystals, frowning as he noted the crystals change. "How very strange," he murmured, tilting his head as he studied the crystals. Clink, who'd rode on Chef Flygon's head, floated all around the perimeter of the cage.

"If you're looking for some gap there isn't any. Trust me, I tried," the Mantine growled. In a fit of anger, he blasted the cage again with a burst of ice. This time there was a slightly larger crack. The crystals flickered and turned blue.

"Then we must find the right recipie to break these crystals," Chef Flygon declared, a gleam of challenge in his eyes.

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
Nori watches the attacks land. That looked like a blast of psychic energy. And it turned the crystals darker? Then the Joltik made an attack, and it turned brown. Sort of like...earth? Dark? Ground? And they keep changing, the Mantine said?

“Wait, I got it!” He snaps his fingers and jumps with excitement. “Pachi, Gra...” he starts to say, but then the Flygon swoops in and changes them again. That seems to confirm his suspicions at least. “Um. Blue, like water. Maybe?” Actually, would a Grass Knot be enough? Could he even reach that far? Certainly with Electro Ball, but he wanted to make sure this thing gets blown wide open!

“Hey, um. Excuse me!” He walks in front up the Latios and gives a friendly wave. “Think you can give Pachi a lift down there, please? I think those are cycling types! One of his Discharges at close range should be more than enough to break them! Or at least, make them even more fragile!” He taps a finger on his chin. “Maybe we could hit it with a bunch of stuff at once, but that might be hard to time. Not sure. So instead we should try to hit it as hard as we can each time.”

Last edited:

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
"Drat. Nothing." Josie shook her head in disappointment at not seeing any noticeable damage on the crystals. Still, she was sharp enough to notice the color change. "Hey, they changed. They react depending on the type of the attack, it looks like. Brown, so that means... Ground, right?" With that, she got an idea. She turned to shout at the other Pokémon, waving a leg up. "Guys! We gotta use an attack that each crystal is weak against! Use water and grass attacks on the brown one! I have a hunch, too! I'm pretty sure they change color to resist or block what they got hit by last!"

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
  4. goomy
The trip through the portal, like the previous one, was quite pleasant, not like the usual portals she went through before. No dizzy spells, no headaches, no nothing.

She stepped through with vigor in her movements, paws touching the sand beneath as her eyes spotted the sea before them. "Water? Aw come on! I just got my hair done a few minutes ago! Ugh and the sand, yuck!" It was going to take forever to get it out of her coat.

Pixels groaned, watching as the group around her give out ideas and plans on how to get to the other side. With her mood tanking low, she stayed silent, not really having much to say and when the group started trekking through the forest, she quickly followed suit.

Anywhere was better than a beach.

Blergh...

The voices ahead found a huge and– Dear Arceus above! She didn't even know they could get that large. But urgency took over her awe once she took in the crystals surrounding the Mantine, a cage that none of the others came close to denting.

They were changing colours after taking a hit and now they were blue. If what the the Joltik and human were saying was true, then a Grass-type move should...

Eh? Why couldn't she produce an Energy Ball? She could still feel the type energy flowing within her but nothing came no matter how hard she tried. A Flamethrower then? Flames tickled her teeth before she pulled back. That worked... weird. Were her moves just gone? No, she still had Flamethrower so that wasn't the case. Was she just limited then?

Huh, crap. How was she going to know what move she could access now?

Ah! Worry later, focus now.

If the crystals were changing types to resist an attack, wouldn't that mean they would need just two different types that had resisted types be weak to each other? "Hey, why don't one of you guys try another electric move, see if it turns brown and then Mr Mantine here use an ice move so it turns blue again and rinse and repeat?"

Shou'an observed the crystals again. The solution proposed was, of course, elegant, but he had his reservations on whether it would work. Why would they make it so that the crystals are activated according to this mechanism, that was either completely arbitrary, or put there intentionally by some unknown being? It didn't matter, though; most of the people in the group seemed to agree with the solution.

The Latios nodded toward Nori, before lowering his body almost to the ground to allow the Pachirisu to climb up. "Sure; as long as your Pokemon's comfortable with me."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
  9. zorua
Meanwhile, as the others were preoccupied with going as fast as possible, Breve was working on something slower, and hopefully safer.

Nobody here was a woodworker, but a raft would still be significantly safer than any other proposed option.

And so, with Temsik's help, he began cutting down trees, and tying them together with the thick vines.

It was hard work, sure. But Strength was a powerful move.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
"Excellent ideas, I daresay!" declared Chef Flygon. "If these crystals shift to resist our attacks, then perhaps we can indeed time out attacks to all strike at once. Individually, we may be too weak but if all of us work together, I'm sure we can free our friend here."

Mantine slapped the water emphatically, her eyes gleaming with irritation and impatience. "Good grief yes please. I kept using water and ice moves but it just kept changing. Maybe we can gang up on these stupid things if we predict what it changes to..."

Chef Flygon nodded in agreement. "It appears electric attacks change the crystals to earth to resist." He eyed the now bluish crystals. A few weak cracks could be seen where the earlier attacks struck. Not very large though, and not at all deep enough to break them. Yet. "If we keep changing it to a favourable type and keep attacking the same spot, they ought to break. But we must be swift, lest they change to resist our attacks."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
"Sounds like a plan," Josie replied with a nod. She jolted up in realization. "Oh, wait, I forgot to introduce myself to you guys. Okay, let's make it official." She waved a leg at everyone nearby. "Hi. I'm Josie. Josie the Joltik." She glared as she said her next words. "And before anyone gets any ideas, do NOT call me JoJo. It's stupid and embarrassing." She relaxed after that, looking back at the crystals. "Okay. We should attack the crystals at the same time, then. Remember, focus on the ones that are weak to your attacks. I'll go for the water ones." She skittered in place, charging up static on her fur.

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
"You may feel dizzy," he warned, then placed his left hand on her head and focused on the top of the slope.
“A little wh- woah…” Nova said as she found herself on top of the slope. “Dizzy… got it.” She said, stumbling to the side. “I might need a minute or two…”
"If we keep changing it to a favourable type and keep attacking the same spot, they ought to break. But we must be swift, lest they change to resist our attacks."
"Okay. We should attack the crystals at the same time, then. Remember, focus on the ones that are weak to your attacks. I'll go for the water ones."
“Break the crystals, free the Mantine. I might have to sit this one out, most of my attacks are normal,” Nova sighed, finally regaining her balance, having spent the last few minutes listening and regaining her bearings. “I could do a countdown for you all so you know when to hit the crystals, but you guys probably won’t need that.”

Negrek

komorebi
Staff
Not everyone had come through Clink's portal just yet, apparently. Nate perked up a bit when a flygon in a jaunty chef's cap came sailing through at the tail end of the crowd. Ah, yeah. He knew that guy. They'd never really talked or nothing, but he'd been there at the big battle against the hoopa. Nate wasn't quite the only one who'd come back, then. It was a little reassuring... a little. There was someone else who could carry people over the water in a pinch, at least.

Nate scrambled up the slope after Chef Flygon, not elegantly, but he made it. And from the top of the plateau... "What the fuck is going on here?" Nate muttered. He'd sure as hell never seen a mantine that big. Plus more of those evil crystals.

The mantine sounded more chipper than he'd expect, if they'd spent a few days stuck in there without any food or nothing. More annoyed than worried.

It sounded like people were already theorizing about ways to break the crystals. Mightyena trotted a couple steps towards where a group had gathered around the crystals, trying various attacks. She looked meaningfully back at Nate, tail wagging.

"Sure, go on," he said. "I'll catch up." And she was off, ready to break some shit and make new friends, presumably.

Nate moved off in the other direction, trying to catch a glimpse of the mantine through the thin gaps in the crystal wall. It all towered over him, cage and pokémon alike. "Hey, are you all right in there?" he yelled up at the mantine. "How did you end up in there, anyway? Did something attack you?" It would be pretty embarrassing if you just woke up one day and found someone had grown a bunch of crystals around you in your sleep.

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
The Latios nodded toward Nori, before lowering his body almost to the ground to allow the Pachirisu to climb up. "Sure; as long as your Pokemon's comfortable with me."
“Mhm! Pachi shouldn’t have problems. Okay, go on ahead!” He flashes a thumbs-up to the little squirrel, who nods and hops onto the legendary’s back. “And thanks!” he doesn’t forget to say as well.

Pachi giggles. “Hi, I’m Pachi! It’s nice to meet you! An honor too! Let’s go help that big-winged ray!”

Nate scrambled up the slope after Chef Flygon, not elegantly, but he made it. And from the top of the plateau... "What the fuck is going on here?" Nate muttered. He'd sure as hell never seen a mantine that big. Plus more of those evil crystals.
Nori’s attention is drawn by the sleepy-looking guy. “What does it look like is going on here?” he cheekily asks in response to the vulgar question. Maybe he was also one of those types who tried to act edgy. Well, his heart seemed in the right place at any rate. “But I’m more wondering what did this. Crystals and types. Any ideas?” He puts this question to the group as a whole.

Okay, let's make it official." She waved a leg at everyone nearby. "Hi. I'm Josie. Josie the Joltik." She glared as she said her next words. "And before anyone gets any ideas, do NOT call me JoJo. It's stupid and embarrassing."
“JoJo?” he asks, rubbing his cheek. “That’s bizarre, who calls you that? But it’s nice to meet you all the same, Josie.” He extends a hand on instinct, only to pause and quickly retract as he realizes how ridiculous and impossible it would be to shake hands with a tiny bug Pokemon.

“And oh yes! Sorry for the late introduction!” he snaps up with realization, standing tall (as tall as someone as short as him can stand anyway) and proud with a big grin. He talks pretty loudly, so just about anyone can hear. “I’m Nori Carino, a Pokemon Rehabilitator. I work with the Officials, sort of the governing force of Pokemon Trainers in my world, to help tame Pokemon no one else can.” To punctuate this, he pulls out his trainer card. It has his name, date of birth (July 11th, 2002), a photo, and other information. It has orange trim on the sides, and a unique ID: SPRT-01.

Perhaps what the other humans would find the strangest, however, is that it looks genuine. Someone as young as him held such a lofty position?

Last edited:
Top Bottom