• Up for a little collaborative writing fun? Thousand Roads' fifth annual exquisite corpse game is now open for signups! In an exquisite corpse, each participant writes a brief scene with only a couple of sentences for context, then adds their scene to the mix. In the end we'll have a big, chaotic frankenfic! This year we're running grimdark, isekai, and Pokémon Snap-themed corpses! See more info and sign up here.
  • Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Errant Sword [KtK RP Thread; Mission 1]

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
"Yup! Nice to meet you too, mister... um–"
"Mark Samson! But call me Samson," Samson said.

"So... ooh, your necklace looks really pretty. Where did you get something like that?"
Samson looked down and realized his necklace was one thing that had actually come along with him. "Oh, this? This was a gift from my... mentor." Bittersweet memories washed over him, but he forced himself to continue. "It's the Wheel of Arceus, a symbol of my faith. Thank you for the compliment!"

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
« I have not. You look a bit like what my human calls Brutal Bonnet in my world... But stronger. As for me...» he unfurled his antennae into feathered wings, raising his head proudly.

« I am the Winged King, the Apex Dragon, the one who split the land in two with his bare fists!» he announced proudly with a resounding roar.

« No one is a match to me!»

Codex laughed as politely as they could manage, making a sound not unlike wind chimes. Seemed like Winged King very much fit the image of a typical dragon.

“I hadn’t realized I was in the presence of royalty! Nice to meet you, King. I’m glad we’re on the same side.”

Odds were he was exaggerating, even if Codex wished they weren’t. Tearing the earth in two with bare fists just wasn’t the kind of claim that sounded super plausible.

“Brute Bonnet doesn’t sound terribly far off from the reputation my kind are wont to garner at times.”

They looked over that the person with a spear. “So, that’s your partner over there? What’re they capable of?”

Negrek

komorebi
Staff
“Wait. You’ve been here before?” Ferry asked, tail sweeping low. “So you’ve escaped once before, then. I would like to hear more about this if you are willing to tell. From someone who is not fae,” he added, practically hearing the klefki perking up helpfully before it happened.
Nate looked up from the weird crystal, surprised to find a rough-looking lucario staring at him. The guy had straight-up asked him, huh, instead of trying Mightyena? Nate felt like it'd be ages before he remembered he could just up and talk to pokémon while he was here.

"Well, tried to escape. Didn't do me much good. In the end it was a hoopa who sent everybody home, but I don't see one around here now. If the turtle guy's making the portals this time, maybe it can send you and your trainer back if you want to leave?" He gave the pokémon an inquiring look, though privately he had a feeling that if it had been beaming everybody in here, it'd need to rest a while before sending anyone back out.

Mightyena padded over to the lucario for an introductory sniff. "I don't blame you for being wary around fairies," she said. "I usually don't like them much, either. But Clink's really nice. You can trust them."

Clink wilted in the air, their keys rattling as their cheer immediately faded. For a moment they didn't speak, trying to find a way to reply, before saying in quiet voice, "this is the door to Keldeo's domain."

The meaningful look made it clear this was the same one they had known.
A chill settled in Nate's chest. Of all the legends, Keldeo was one of the ones who'd been... corrupted, or something? It wasn't Orzo fucking shit up again somehow, was it?

"Keldeo, huh?" Nate said slowly. "Have you seen him since... you know, since this thing started growing?"

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
Nori’s attention is split between the various conversations. A priest, a cavewoman, and a safety inspector? That sounded like the start of a joke! He couldn’t help but grin and giggle over it. It also sounded like the tired-looking young adult had been here before. And then...was he reading that right? He had almost gotten up at that, but he wanted to make sure of it first.

Still, the important information eventually reached him: why they were here. The subject of one of the Legendaries that had fallen victim to corruption. With this, the boy hops to his feet without pushing himself up and comes strutting over.

“So that’s the thing we need to stop this time? Help?” He casts a side glance at Nate. It sounded like he had met this Keldeo before, and Nori saw that reaction on mention of their name besides. “I’m sure you want to help them, right? Okay, okay!” Nori claps his hands and pumps his arms backwards. Pachi mimes the action with his stubby arms. “Step one, know your enemy! That’s what my mentor taught me. Um.” He freezes up all of a sudden, before crossing his hands behind his back and forcing a smile. “I guess we can’t trust their personality much if they’ve been changed, but also, what is a Keldeo? What do they usually do?”

Nekodatta

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. koraidon-apex
  2. miraidon-ultimate
  3. skitty
They looked over that the person with a spear. “So, that’s your partner over there? What’re they capable of?”
The dragon turned to look at his human partner and growled, nodding.

« She's quite capable, for a frail human at least. She's smart, and that pointy stick is quite sharp, even if-» he hastily added.

« It wouldn't do much to me, of course! And she knows how to get so many tasty food! » that last part was important, of course. His pupils narrowed, and he suddenly whipped his tail through the air, turning to look at Codex with a growl.

« ... she's my human. » he made sure to point out, least the Pokémon get any weird ideas.

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
  5. farfetchd
"Well, tried to escape. Didn't do me much good. In the end it was a hoopa who sent everybody home, but I don't see one around here now. If the turtle guy's making the portals this time, maybe it can send you and your trainer back if you want to leave?" He gave the pokémon an inquiring look, though privately he had a feeling that if it had been beaming everybody in here, it'd need to rest a while before sending anyone back out.

Mightyena padded over to the lucario for an introductory sniff. "I don't blame you for being wary around fairies," she said. "I usually don't like them much, either. But Clink's really nice. You can trust them."
"Trust... it? Hm..." Ferry swished his tail as he leaned down to offer a palm to the mightyena. It was funny, seeing an just-wrong, animalistic version of his own kind like this. He wondered if the human felt the same, seeing pokémon like meditite.

Ferry's ears perked at the sound of Sun scampering down the tree, as if on cue. "He's telling the truth!" the meditite assured him. "If we do what the keys say, they'll send us back."

"What? How do you know that?"

"Um... I heard it. In my mind. Didn't you?"

Ferry felt the heat of shame course through him. He was glad not to be a human, with a face like water that plainly displayed everything occurring beneath its surface. The fairy must have sent a psychic message—one he hadn't heard, because his aura sensors were gone and his psychic sense severed with them.

"Yes," he grumbled. "Of course. I just forgot."

"Okay. You're weird."

Instead of dignifying that, Ferry turned back to the human.

"Perhaps I can do as the fairy asks. Is this work being asked of us... dangerous? It seems we were selected to be called here, but..." His gaze grew distant, landing on a joltik that was chattering casually with the klefki. "It does not appear we all bear the same talents."

He felt like he could have run a marathon with less effort than it took him to phrase that concern so diplomatically.

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
Nova blinked. One second she was at the guild when she heard a strange voice, the next, she was through a strange portal somewhere else.

Wherever this was, that is.

The eevee looked at the others in the field, quickly realizing that she was a little late to the conversations that were taking place, but making a mental note of what was being said.

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. jfought-sword
  2. jfought-blue
  3. deerling-summer
  4. charmeleon
  5. vulpix
  6. monferno
Lumen rubbed the underside of his chin with his only thumb, contemplating the situation he found himself in. The landscape was strange, yet not hostile. The klefki's request was rather demanding, yet undeniably sincere. To subjugate a legendary was a tall order, though for as eclectic as this group was, there were a few powerful standouts. A lati would be a great asset for any situation. And that odd red lizard -- almost vaguely like a cyclizar -- accompanying the pelt-dressed human stood out in particular.

He winced. Right. Also several of the group were humans. The gardevoir's chest horn throbbed as he failed in his efforts to ignore them, and he screwed his eyes shut. Would it be right to step forward? Did he belong in this group?

That question had kept Lumen rooted to his spot on the fringes of the group as he struggled to control and understand it. And finally, he found its source in his heart: the desire to believe that he was meant to be here, among them. Frustrating. I have obligations to fulfill, and yet I can't turn back now, can I? Though if he could truly put his responsibilities to the side, for just one moment...

He took a deep, calming breath and adjusted the cuffs of his blue short coat. May I be forgiven for this indulgence.

A grave chill radiated from Clink's direction, and so Lumen walked up to Kupara instead. "If we are to confront a Keldeo, then I have a question." He placed a hand over his chest horn and bowed slightly -- "Lumen," -- before continuing. "The type composition of the force gathered here is somewhat consistent with our goal, though our backgrounds are noticeably diverse. I'm curious if there is a logic behind who was summoned."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
"Keldeo, huh?" Nate said slowly. "Have you seen him since... you know, since this thing started growing?"
"Once," Clink said quietly. "When the corruption first began. But hardly had I entered before he drove me out. Threatened to show me what he could really do with his sword." They shuddered, clearly unnerved by the memory.
“I guess we can’t trust their personality much if they’ve been changed, but also, what is a Keldeo? What do they usually do?”
Clink turned to the human, dipping their body in greeting. "On gardr, Keldeo is one of the group called 'the swords of justice' by some. He is the youngest. He is a valiant and courageous pokemon. An honorable protector of pokemon and humans, and any whom are too weak to defend themselves."

"And he loves a good battle. A fair battle." They twirled one of the keys on their loop in a nervous, thoughtful gesture. "But that is not how he behaved when last I saw him."

"Perhaps I can do as the fairy asks. Is this work being asked of us... dangerous? It seems we were selected to be called here, but..." His gaze grew distant, landing on a joltik that was chattering casually with the klefki. "It does not appear we all bear the same talents."
A knowing chime of laughter came from Clink. "Of power I am not worried. My world is different than others, so just know that strength of will in these realms can go far. As for danger... Kupara understands the particulars, but you cannot die here or in Keldeo's domain. You would simply return to your own place in time. Unharmed, as if you'd never left. But..." At this, Clink's voice trailed off. Not hiding anything, but thinking.

The silence lingered a few moments before they continued. "You can still experience pain. Your body here has sensations. It may be dangerous, just not mortally perilous."

I'm curious if there is a logic behind who was summoned."
"I called out to the willing. Those amiable and willing to assist. It was important to me that only the ones who had some desire to try and help came, instead of forcing anyone. I cannot bear the thought of forcing anyone or only calling to the strongest." There was a forcefulness to their tone that belied just how serious this matter was to Clink.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
The group was interrupted by a low but prominent crack! A thin glowing line split the crystal growth around Keldeo's keyhole. The crystal fell away, disintegrating into murky gray dust and leaving behind the floating, sword shaped keyhole. It pulsed lethargically with a blue and red light, as if struggling to remain lit.

Clink gazed at it sorrowfully for a few moments. They looked to Kupara, who nodded encouragingly. Then Clink floated up to hover before the group. They rattled their keys loudly to gain everyone’s attention before speaking. “I must thank all of you again for coming to my aid. Alone, I would not have the power to confront this malaise. But here, bonds and will is strength. I am certain we can prevail.” Their tone was confident and professional now. They couldn’t afford to waver or doubt, not in this.

They paused, steeling themselves. “I don’t know what we will face inside. Domains of legends are shaped by their nature. But ever since they have become hostile, their domains have responded in turn. We should be ready for anything. As I said, you won’t be in any mortal danger but... Your bodies can still experience pain. And there are pokemon living in those domains who may be in danger.”

Looking across the whole group, Clink tried to meet each of their eyes, human and pokemon alike. There was the barest hint of well veiled guilt from past events, and concern for them. “I would not force anyone to harm themselves for my world, even if you cannot perish here. So if you wish to leave... you may.”

Clink waited a few moments to see if anyone wanted to leave, then continued. “This is the domain of Keldeo, practicer of the flowing sword and defender of justice. Yet when last we spoke he drove me out by threats of force. I know not what state he is in now, but it is unlikely he will be pleased at our intrusion.” As they spoke, they turned to the glowing keyhole and raised up a matching key with a sword shaped tip. They inserted it into the shimmering lock.

The air thrummed for a moment, and a sharp sea breeze cut through the air, tinged with an unpleasantly pungent scent. Then the lock began to expand, morphing and shifting until it appeared as a blush gash hanging in mid air, wide enough even for a mamoswine sized pokemon to fit. “I can sense enough to know we should enter somewhere safe... That is all. When you are ready, simply enter here.”

The time had come.

With that, Clink floated through the portal, leaving the others to choose to follow...

A glittering blue sea stretches out before the group, ruffled only by the barest of breezes. They had arrived on a small island. A small beach with pale bluish sand stretched in front of them and rocky hills stretched behind them. Trees with straight sturdy trunks and large dense leaves grew along the hills. Thick vines girded the trunks. Whatever lay behind them couldn’t be seen, blocked by the vegetation and steep slope. At least not without walking up to check on it...

Ahead, ominous purple storm clouds choked the horizon, marring the otherwise peaceful expanse of sea. Squinting quite hard or having particularly great eyesight one could just barely make out a massive crystalline structure in the distance, like an island constructed of rock and crystal.

Closer than that was a single island, bigger than the one the group currently stood on. Vibrant trees and a bright sandy beach could be seen...

Scattered around, just visible on the horizon, smaller specks of islands could be seen, though they were quite clearly much too far away to be worth visiting.

Clink looked around uncertainly. “We have to cross the water somehow...” they mused. “Keldeo might be out there, where the storm is.”

But how to cross such an expanse. Even a strong swimmer would likely struggle to make it to that first island...

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
  9. zorua
As Breve and Temsik entered the portal, the first thing they noticed was the sea.

The sea was a dangerous one, only reigned in by safety regulations for boats and other seafaring vehicles.

Yet, those were worth nothing if they were not followed.

Immediately upon seeing the sturdy tree trunks and thick vines, Breve had the idea for a raft.

But a raft was in no way safe. While it would be difficult to make it capsize, that was nothing compared to how easy it would be to fall off, or be swept off by a wave.

No, a raft would not do.

But perhaps a boat would.

He turned towards the group, and asked, "Who here is proficient in woodworking?"

Together with the group, Shou'an entered the portal. Taking one or two seconds to admire the scenery, he looked toward the horizon, toward the crystalline structure. I could definitely cross it on my own, he pondered; after all, he had trained his flight in conditions much more perilous than just a stretch of beautiful sea: the mountains surrounding Beiping in winter, for instance. But I don't think anyone else could.

Looking around, he saw at least one other person who shared what he presumed to be similar worries to what he was considering; the man who was now seeking assistance from the group regarding...woodworking? It was obvious that the man was considering a solution relating to using the trees provided to make vessels for everyone to float across; however, he didn't think it would be a feasible solution. Bowing toward the man seeking assistance, Shou'an articulated his thoughts.

"Dear sir, there are at least a dozen of us here, if not more, if I am correct. I do not believe that using vessels of transport to bring us across would be a good idea at all, as it would take a very long time to construct the vessels that are needed. I think perhaps using the trunks themselves as makeshift vessels would be a fine idea, but anything requiring woodworking is too elaborate, I would think."

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
  5. farfetchd
The klefki offered to return them.

“Sun,” Ferry called. “Come. We have no use for this place. It’s time to return home.”

“Aww!” Sun cried. “But I want to stay and help! You never let me help. And the keys said we can’t die here. It’s safe!”

“The keys also said you can get hurt,” Ferry growled.

“C’mon…” Sun frowned deeply. “They said it’s for the god of justice. Aren’t you wolves supposed to love that stuff?”

“It is not that simple,” Ferry said, ignoring the twin prongs of embarrassment and obligation stabbing at him. “But… I am curious to see what this fae considers a paragon of justice. So perhaps we can linger a moment. Only a moment,” he added sternly.

“Yippee!”

- - -​

He turned towards the group, and asked, "Who here is proficient in woodworking?"
“Even if such a person existed among this group, they would be without tools,” Ferry mused. “But perhaps someone with ice mastery could freeze a bridge across.”

“Like this!” Sun cried, too-blue water splashing up to his chest as he dashed into the waves. He raised a little fist cloaked in bright blue light and slammed it down into the water. “Ice punch!!” The attack misted away uselessly on the surface of the sea, earning the meditite only a faceful of saltwater.

“Perhaps someone else,” Ferry insisted.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
Josie followed Clink without hesitation after hearing them out. After getting a good look at the environment, she started to think aloud while skittering back and forth. "Okay, there's a long gap of water between us and that island, which is our main destination, if I'm right about this. We have to find a quick way to cross, so building a bridge or a boat is out of the question, since that would take long, like Latios said. Pretty sure my webs won't work here, since they would either dissolve or zap anyone who steps on them. We could hitch a ride on Latios, but will he get tired from flying back and forth to pick all of us up one by one and dropping us over to the next island? I gotta ask him directly."

The Joltik stopped for a moment to calm herself before skittering up to Shou'an and exclaiming to him. "Hey, Latios! Uh, my name is Josie. I'm really honored to meet you face-to-face, and I'd really like to talk, but do you think you can help us get to that island? I was thinking that you might be able to carry us there."

Shou'an continued looking toward the horizon, seemingly unaware to where the voice was coming from, but appearing not to care too much about it.

"I'd say the distance between here and the island is a little more than, say, five kilometres. While I can definitely cross over with all of you one by one, I don't think that's wise, given how many people are here. Even if I might be able to carry two or three of you at once, it'll still be too slow. And besides, who knows what kind of dangers are on the other side. If I leave one or two of the group there at once while I go and collect other people, I would essentially be sending them into the tiger's mouth, if anything happens. And we don't want half of our party to be gone before we even get started."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
Josie skittered back and forth again, back to thinking aloud after hearing what Shou'an had to say. "Hmm, yeah, that's also a problem. We don't really know what else is there. There could be other dangerous Pokémon besides Keldeo. If we can find a way to bring all of us into the other island quickly and safely..."

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
Clink turned to the human, dipping their body in greeting. "On gardr, Keldeo is one of the group called 'the swords of justice' by some. He is the youngest. He is a valiant and courageous pokemon. An honorable protector of pokemon and humans, and any whom are too weak to defend themselves."

"And he loves a good battle. A fair battle." They twirled one of the keys on their loop in a nervous, thoughtful gesture. "But that is not how he behaved when last I saw him."
“Well, that doesn’t tell us much,” the boy says, rolling his eyes. He actually rolls his head a little along with them. He puts a hand on his hip. “So he’s a sword in some sense. I guess that means he likes fighting up close. But what type is he? Does he prefer to avoid or take hits? Is he little or big? What–”

CRACK!!

Nori’s rapid-fire questions are interrupted and he jumps at the sudden sound. He instantly regains his composure, however. The subsequent briefing doesn’t tell him much else. He is one of the first ones in through the gate.

It hits his senses all at once. The feel of sand beneath his feet. The choking scent of salt water air. The sound of waves cresting against the beach. The sight of water as far as the eye can see!

He screams and falls backwards. “Y-y-you didn’t tell us we’d be going to…a watery…place!” he shouts with anguish, shaking from both fear and rage. The former eventually overpowers the latter, however, and he ends up groaning. That answered another one of his questions, but that wasn’t the answer he was hoping to hear! Of all the Pokemon they ended up having to fight, why did it have to be a Water-type?!

Meanwhile, his Pokemon had rushed over and started asking if he was okay. When Nori didn’t even seem to notice, he turned around and addressed the others. “Um. Sorry!” his Pokemon meekly says, making a polite bow like people sometimes do. The Pachirisu sheepishly explains to anyone able to understand his words here, “Nori hates water. Something bad happened when he was little. But don’t worry! He’ll be fine! Especially once we get to the fighting!” The squirrel flashes a cute grin.

The fact that he hadn’t up and bolted was a good sign, at least. Nori knew he could leave. But he didn’t want to! What would that look like?! Even worse than he probably already did for this stupid panic attack. “Breathe, Nori. You can do this. Ride it out,” he says to himself. He manages to pull himself up using one of the trees for support.

“There might be other corrupted stuff in the water. Can’t we just like, teleport there so we don’t have to worry about crossing at all?” he mumbles, squinting and looking down at the ground. He winced as soon as he realized what he said. That had to be stupid. What were the odds that someone who could teleport was even with them?

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
Nova walked through the portal, feeling almost at ease on the beach until she noticed the ominous clouds on the horizon.

"So if we can't swim through the water, what if we don't go in the water at all?" Nova finally piped up, glancing at those around her. "Well, not yet at least. We could explore this island a little bit first, maybe we can find something?" She offered. "Assuming anyone can get up that slope, that is."

Nekodatta

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. koraidon-apex
  2. miraidon-ultimate
  3. skitty
At Clink's urging, they both walked through the portal together. Sada's eyes widened at seeing the enormous amount of water that stretched before them. This was the biggest lake she had ever seen!
Maybe it was the "sea" that another tribe they traded with often talked about?
It was even more incredible than how she had always imagined it!

« Is this the sea?!» she exclaimed, running towards the water and eyeing it cautiously.

Apparently, they needed to cross and reach the next island. She frowned, starting to examine their surroundings with a more critical eye. She turned towards Breve at his questions.

« ... I can mostly do arrows and tools with wood. Making a raft would take too long. » she shook her head.

She turned towards Winged King, raising one hand to pet its head.

« Winged King can fly and swim, but we still can't carry everyone here... »

She tilted her head sideways, thinking for a moment.

« But we can use these vines to tie everyone to some trees and he could tow people over the water.»

She turned to look at the hills at their back.

« ... I will try to explore this island.» she said, nodding towards the dragon, who crouched to let her jump on her back. At a light gallop, the Pokémon first sprinted and then took flight, flapping his wings to gain altitude.

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. jfought-sword
  2. jfought-blue
  3. deerling-summer
  4. charmeleon
  5. vulpix
  6. monferno
Boy with a rather inconvenient phobia said:
“There might be other corrupted stuff in the water. Can’t we just like, teleport there so we don’t have to worry about crossing at all?”
Lumen could feel Nori's fear pushing against him, like a sharp gale. The least he could do was humor him. "Allow me to try."

He raised his right hand, fingers poised to snap, and focused on the distant beach. Waiting, trying to feel the psychic signal he sent to the sand on the other side. Except, he noticed that his power did not quite work that way. There was an unfamiliar effort to it, and he realized that it was not necessary time that was proportional to distance, but necessary strength. I see. This world has its own rules.

He sighed and lowered his arm. "No, unfortunately. With a strong emotion to power it, it may be possible to teleport myself over there, but it seems unlikely I would be able to take you." He eyed the nearby slope. "I agree with exploring our current island. Teleporting someone with me up the slope shouldn't pose a problem, if anyone would like to volunteer."

Top Bottom