• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
One hour remains until end of day. The vote stands thus:

DawningWinds - 2 (Chibi Pika, NeoLurosa)
NeoLurosa - 1 (DawningWinds)

Not Voting: Sinderella, windskull, AbraPunk, Inkedust, Virgil134, IFBench, Sike Saner, Starlight Aurate, Panoramic_Vacuum, Flyg0n, Dragonfree

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[Day's ending soon, I wanna write, I may as well discuss a few of my thoughts now before I dip.

I'ma be real with you, chief, this jump on DW is not giving me any good vibes mainly because I don't see much of a reason to vote for them? If you have a compelling argument to make here, then please do tell but lynching for the sake of lynching feels dumb all things considered. Again, really feels like you're just trying to start a train here. Time is better spent looking for better candidates or just abstaining entirely (which is what I'm going to do, seeing that there really isn't much to go off here). I hate it, but it's better than just hounding someone for flimsy reasonings. I'm going to take the time to take a look at Chibi and HelloJackie because this entire thing has let me :thonk:

Vote: Abstain]]

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
We're not lynching randomly. We're actively figuring out who appears the most scumlike, and lynching them. Trying to do this increases the odds that the person we lynch is not town compared to spinning a roullette wheel.

And if we lynch cop or doc? We move on. Sure, it would suck that we didn't have a role that can confirm people town or stop the Mafia nightkill. Ganes have been won without them. PRs alone do not win games. They help, sure, but it is absolutely entirely necessary to actually form reads on people. That's what wins games.]]

[[ I mean we don’t have a whole lot to go on right now, so lynching someone now really does feel like we’re choosing someone at random.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[I'm sorry I've typed and retyped this like five times already, but I just don't know who to vote for today. I don't like the idea of picking a player at random. I know, I know it's not random but I don't have any solid scummy leads! Everything I've looked at as scummy has justification in my eyes, or the player has explained themselves or walked back on what they said of their own accord (the Abra incident). And even if it was/is slightly scummy, I've played as town and been told I hadn't made a single town-y post the entire game (cough, Banquet, cough). In role madness the potential for losing valuable information over a slightly-scummy honest mistake is too high, imo.

I've chosen to abstain on D1 before, and I'm 99% sure I'm going to do it again unless something more pertinent comes to light very soon.]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
J:they/them HY:she
[[Even if we eliminate randomly, we're still improving our numerical odds, as explained at some length in an earlier post. —Jackie]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[ I mean we don’t have a whole lot to go on right now, so lynching someone now really does feel like we’re choosing someone at random.]]
[[It's not. People's actions show signs of their alignment, even this early. It stops being random when factors of what people have said and done are taken into account. Even if these aren't strong when you first vote, pushing someone over them creates reactions, increasing the amount to base reads on and helping understand people's alignments, further increasing the odds of a successful lynch.]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[don't have a lot of time right now. I'm not really comfortable voting for DW as of right now, but I'm also very not convinced of neolurosa either. I'm gonna vote on one of my null/light sus reads with the knowledge that if it starts a train now, it'll cause a day extend. If it does I may end up abstaining anyways.

And with that in mind, not feeling anyone strongly, I'm going to vote: panoramic_vaccum]]

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[Heading to my class now so I will not be around to finish rewriting my readlist or further discuss anything after this moment, but the more I'm reading these incoming posts about this sudden DW vote, the worse I'm feeling about it. I get Chibi initially starting the vote was the fire under our asses we needed to get rolling on discussing, but now that DW is here and kinda having to defend themselves, I'm getting bad feels from how it's playing out. While I get the whole "improving numerical odds" thing, it feels really knee-jerk "lets jump on the first lead" ish and I don't think I fuck with it.

Voting to Abstain because I have too many mostly null reads and primarily gut feelings to confidently cast a vote at the moment. Unless there is an extension and I come back and find more in my re-readthrough I'm pretty set on this.

Also you're good Wind (I'm assuming by "sounds" you meant "sinds" lol), irl happens.]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[Vote: IFBench]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[Alright, got what I needed. Townreading HelloJackie a bit more now.]]

[[Vote: Abstain]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Steven's brow furrowed in thought again. "Well unless you're somehow getting the Lilycove Department Store flyer in this void, maybe it is something useful for the game? I guess the only way to tell is to see if the item actually does something later on its own."
"Like I said, I'm not seeing an actual item. Just the message."

[[Yeah, as I was saying, my working assumption is there is not actually an item. The mod message told me I got a message and then quoted the message, which was that. I doubt that's how it would be presented if there are genuine items in the game. That's why I think the message may be intentionally misleading.

I am a little miffed that nobody at all has engaged with my reasoning about this? I do really hope it doesn't get overlooked, I will be yelling in deadchat if I die and then people start talking about items/assuming the person sending items is town.

I don't feel great about voting DW myself, although I do notice people jumping to make sure we don't go for them now, which could be suspect and also suggests info if we do get their flip. Unsure about whether I'd want to abstain. There is a numerical argument that fewer players alive later means we're more likely to hit mafia, but at the same time it also means reducing the town's voting power.

Going to post this and then think about it a little more.]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
J:they/them HY:she
[[Fascinating...]]

[[Howdy, Jackie and Yellow here. We've compared notes on our reads and we don't think anyone else seems noticeably scummier than DW, and we have a hunch that Chibi's on to something and wouldn't be this bold if they were scum. We don't want to abstain for reasons already stated, either. We will be leaving our vote, and if DW flips Town, so be it.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[Don't do that.]]
[[Alright, got what I needed. Townreading HelloJackie a bit more now.]]
[[Really? I get it was a reaction test, but I don't think someone telling you not to vote yourself is a towntell remotely. When someone selfvotes, almost always basically everyone tells them off. People don't like selfvoting, and whether people are okay with it when it helps their faction or not, scum will usually do this to because not doing so just looks bad, especially from someone who has an assocoation of particularly not liking selfvoters.]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[Sorry.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
I don't feel great about voting DW myself, although I do notice people jumping to make sure we don't go for them now, which could be suspect and also suggests info if we do get their flip.
[[People are jumping to defend me because literally nobody has presented a reason to vote me based on my actual posts. Voting off someone who absolutely nobody has a reason to vote is even dumber than abstaining.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Yeah, as I was saying, my working assumption is there is not actually an item. The mod message told me I got a message and then quoted the message, which was that. I doubt that's how it would be presented if there are genuine items in the game. That's why I think the message may be intentionally misleading.
[[I agree. Receiving an item would be expected to be announced clearly and differently than a message. I didn't engage with it previously because there didn't seem to be a point in making a post just saying this but since you're worried about it being overlooked I figured I might toss in my entirely nonunique two cents.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Quick reads, will not be able to explain them very thoroughly because I don't have much time:

Likely town:
- IFBench
- Sike Saner

Slight town:
- Chibi Pika
- YellowJackie
- windskull

Vague bad vibes:
- Sind
- Inke

Null:
- everyone else]]