• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
View attachment 2655 "Fascinating. We also received a message last night. One addressed to you. It began, 'Dear Muse'."
"Really now?" Muse tilted her head. I wonder if we may have a bus driver among the party. My. message was not addressed to anyone in particular. I'll withohold the details for now, as I would like to wait for more of our party to chime in. But suffice to say that if the message I received is honest then it may reveal notable information about our setup. For the moment, I'll say that my message mentions parrot theory."

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
last time I played hard, my mental state took such a nosedive that I was in severe fucking distress throughout most of the later days. Sorry for caring for my mental health, ig.
Oh, sorry, didn't realize.

I'm playing a different character - one who I've gone on record saying that I have a harder time getting into proper flavour in Mafia (I chose him because I wanted to try and rectify this);
I didn't realize this either; though OOC posts shouldn't be affected I'd think?

: D1 doesn't provide much for information, so I literally cannot comment on anything thus far unless someone else brings up something interesting;
Or you could try bringing up something interesting- not necessarily night information, either. Just something odd you notice, even relatively small.

That would imply a swap then, innit
I did it.

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
J:they/them HY:she
lurosaquestion.png "I see. Care to explain why you performed this swap? I must say, I generally think of swapping powers as being the purview of the Mafia, but I believe there's precedent for Town Bus Driver..."

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[Explain.]]
View attachment 2657 "I see. Care to explain why you performed this swap? I must say, I generally think of swapping powers as being the purview of the Mafia, but I believe there's precedent for Town Bus Driver..."
I'm a JoaT. Bus Driver is one of my abilities. I was trying to kill NeoLurosa because I scumread them- I saw windskull as a likely nightkill target because they're among the most widely townread players.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
That probably does mean that NeoLurosa is telling the truth about the message because they would have had no way to know about the swap aside from it.

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
lurosaquestion.png "Ah, I see. I must admit this doesn't endear you to me, but at least your explanation is moderately cogent. I must rest. I'll return to the discussion later with more thoughts, although my host may speak in my stead."

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
I'm a JoaT. Bus Driver is one of my abilities. I was trying to kill NeoLurosa because I scumread them- I saw windskull as a likely nightkill target because they're among the most widely townread players.
That probably does mean that NeoLurosa is telling the truth about the message because they would have had no way to know about the swap aside from it.
[[At the very least, you're telling the truth about the swap, and given that NeoLurosa is also very likely to be telling the truth about the message they've received thanks to this corroboration there's a chance that both of you are Innocent if I'm going off my fledgling theory I was thinking about during the night phase. Given your previous interactions, I think the chances of you and NeoLurosa being scumbuddies are slim to none.

Speaking of that theory though...
"Really now?" Muse tilted her head. I wonder if we may have a bus driver among the party. My. message was not addressed to anyone in particular. I'll withohold the details for now, as I would like to wait for more of our party to chime in. But suffice to say that if the message I received is honest then it may reveal notable information about our setup. For the moment, I'll say that my message mentions parrot theory."
This bothers me. For one, how would a mailman, a role that's purely communicative, know about information regarding the game's setup? Also, while not improbable, I do find it convenient that the two note receivers were swapped, which is why I'm beginning to think that the messages might be faked to try and divert/distract Town from properly scumhunting. Again, it ties back into the push for a "Mafia Mailman" theory - a theory that I noticed several insisting on, though doesn't hold much water under scrutiny? This is entirely speculative, of course, but it's something that's been giving me a lot of pause.]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
[[Hi, Yellow here. I’ve been extremely busy today and I am about to catch a red-eye flight tonight to head out on a weeklong trip. Thus, you won’t see many posts from me throughout the week. I should be decently available until Monday afternoon, then I will be AFK. Just wanted to give a heads up about this—this is the reason Jackie and I got permission to have a hydra in the first place. So, NeoLurosa posts will likely be less frequent in general due to me being absent.

Will post some thoughts on today’s events when I can!]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Something smells fishy about all these messages.

Let's see

DW claims to have swapped NeoLurosa and and windskull to off Neo? But Neo also received a message seemingly meant for windskull, while windskull says they received a messagewith setup info potentially?

@DawningWinds Well since you claimed JoaT, can you elaborate if one of your abilities involves sending messages like a mailman?]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
“Leavin my vote on the Nicket yesterday wasn’t random and I never said it was,” Jet commented with a snort. “And I guess it doesn’t matter anymore since their Voice is a Jack-of-whatever.” She stuck out her tongue.

“The main thing I wanna know is if the blue-hair girl noticed anything funny with the Nosepass yesterday and what it was. Cuz I didn’t notice nothin. I wanna know if the bad guys thought he had a cool power or something.”

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
[[Something smells fishy about all these messages.

Let's see

DW claims to have swapped NeoLurosa and and windskull to off Neo? But Neo also received a message seemingly meant for windskull, while windskull says they received a messagewith setup info potentially?

@DawningWinds Well since you claimed JoaT, can you elaborate if one of your abilities involves sending messages like a mailman?]]
[[This means that whatever message wind received, it was meant for us, and vice versa. Ours was plainly meant for wind as it is addressed to Muse. Jackie is asleep and I am traveling but I will share the contents of this message in a bit. It actually seems…potentially helpful? I don’t think we should be too quick to trust it, but I do think at least one of our mailmen is trustworthy. Two scum mailmen just doesn’t make sense—but we’ve been over that thought many times so I don’t intend to linger on that too much more lol]]

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[Just got back to hotel room, dead tired and heat exhausted so I’m going straight to bed; am planning to summary post tomorrow to catch myself up, but I did skim and saw Wind and NeoLurosa got the same message and ig DW bussed them?

My question is, based on what Wind said in their post about the note contents, how tf would a mailman know anything about the game setup at this point? Something either happened to one of their messages i guess (aside from the bussing obv), they have some sort of weird modifier that tells them info on whoever they send shit too (I believe Negrek mentioned in the sign up thread that some roles might be modified or something???? I wonder if there’s a Wiki confirmed modifier for something like that, I’d have to look), or they’re scum and lying/somehow know because they’re scum.

Idk rn i am very tired so I’ll revisit this tomorrow when I don’t have swollen feetsies and a headache :’) ]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[Wanted to add this in here before the messages discussion gets too far along (since I'm headed to bed). I also got a message last night. It wasn't nonsense like the messages claimed on D1, but it also wasn't terribly important. Almost conversational, and quite short. So that's another message sent last night to consider.

Will make a proper post in the morning.]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[Wanted to add this in here before the messages discussion gets too far along (since I'm headed to bed). I also got a message last night. It wasn't nonsense like the messages claimed on D1, but it also wasn't terribly important. Almost conversational, and quite short. So that's another message sent last night to consider.

Will make a proper post in the morning.]]
[[For fucks sake, this is just second anni again but with Mailmen instead of Doctors.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
May stared at the empty ground where the Nosepass was not as the others began to squabble among themselves. Gone. And not on their side, exactly. She clenched her fists at her sides, cold.

“The main thing I wanna know is if the blue-hair girl noticed anything funny with the Nosepass yesterday and what it was. Cuz I didn’t notice nothin. I wanna know if the bad guys thought he had a cool power or something.”
She turned sharply at the Floatzel's voice, and hesitated, a bad taste in her mouth. "I thought he might be one of the mailmen," she said. "He was the one who immediately came up with there being one on each side, and then was interested in the parrot idea, but only mentioned the one mailman who sends multiple messages theory as an afterthought summing up the possibilities after that'd been pointed out to him again. I thought that might mean he knew that wasn't it. And since if there was a mafia mailman they wouldn't go out of their way to point out that's possible, I figured he was probably the town mailman. But apparently he wasn't town, so I don't know. With three messages last night, maybe there were three mailmen, one of each faction, and the third message the first night just happened to go to the Inteleon."

Or maybe she'd just been wrong. Stupid.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Well since you claimed JoaT, can you elaborate if one of your abilities involves sending messages like a mailman?
[[No, I cannot send messages.

“Leavin my vote on the Nicket yesterday wasn’t random and I never said it was,”
Well you also never said why it was on me so it basically feels random. As far as I can tell you had literally no reason to vote me aside from "I was busy at the start" which stops being a reason once I'm there.

Just got back to hotel room, dead tired and heat exhausted so I’m going straight to bed; am planning to summary post tomorrow to catch myself up, but I did skim and saw Wind and NeoLurosa got the same message and ig DW bussed them?
They did not get the same message. NeoLurosa's message was addressed to windskull, windskull's message was not addressed to anyone in particular.

This bothers me. For one, how would a mailman, a role that's purely communicative, know about information regarding the game's setup? Also, while not improbable, I do find it convenient that the two note receivers were swapped, which is why I'm beginning to think that the messages might be faked to try and divert/distract Town from properly scumhunting. Again, it ties back into the push for a "Mafia Mailman" theory - a theory that I noticed several insisting on, though doesn't hold much water under scrutiny? This is entirely speculative, of course, but it's something that's been giving me a lot of pause.]]
Mailman might be able to ask how another role copying its own role works, which means it might be able to give insight on the parrot theory?

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Overall: Almost none of her posts get involved with discussion of actual players. She's generally very disinclined to commit to a stance on anything except her message being nonsense. She does do a few things that are okay but she's mostly pretty scummy. I'd be willing to lynch her in D2.
[[Okay, this is a fair point, but I'm going to bring up pretty much the same rebuttal that Inke did: exactly WHAT am I supposed to commit to on D1? The only things that happened of note were Namo dying, I received a message, and Free also received a message. Unless anyone can garner any value out of a quote from the Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood theme song, I genuinely don't see how I'm supposed to make any sense of my message.

I don't like being too aggressive D1 and trying to lynch someone because so little information is known. And I think a good outcome happened between D1 and N1: no townies were killed, and a third party died (would've been nice if we caught a Mafia, but eh). If we can piece together more info today that makes reasonable sense, I'd be happy to more firmly commit to voting someone off. I'd like to join on Chibi with voting you, except that with the games I've played with you, you have always been very aggressive and still town. I guess how I'm told that I always play scummy and am yet still town (^_^;). I'm also far from the only player who didn't play aggressive or very committal last day phase, so I'm curious as to why you're honing in on me in particular and if it's only because I received a message that I had literally no control over. I know people were curious as to one of the recipients lying about receiving a message D1, but now it looks like there were THREE messages received last night. ]]

[[Anyway, because this is starting to annoy me, my play here is more lowkey because 1: D1 doesn't provide much for information, so I literally cannot comment on anything thus far unless someone else brings up something interesting; 2: I'm playing a different character - one who I've gone on record saying that I have a harder time getting into proper flavour in Mafia (I chose him because I wanted to try and rectify this); and 3: last time I played hard, my mental state took such a nosedive that I was in severe fucking distress throughout most of the later days. Sorry for caring for my mental health, ig.]]
"Pretty much want to repeat this, because this is how I'm feeling."

Rascal rumbled delightedly. What a good turn of fortune. She was pretty sure. That Karo fellow wasn't a good guy, so that meant they were bad, right? Except they weren't bad either... hm.

[[At least we didn't lose any town members! So does this mean sike was some kind of serial killer?]]
[[Oh dear Lord o_o But if Sike was a serial killer, why was there only one death N0?]]

Or you could try bringing up something interesting- not necessarily night information, either. Just something odd you notice, even relatively small.
[[Okay, I'm going to jump in here because Inke DID bring up good points during D1. She mentioned that there was likely no motivator at play after I brought the theory up and she pointed out that the mailmen conversation was unproductive and getting us nowhere. Even if she didn't bring up stuff that was "interesting" to you, she rerailed us when we were stuck in the weeds with a conversation that was going nowhere.]]

[[Okay, so this explains the messages that Neo and Wind both claimed to have received last night. So N1 looks like:

- Sike was killed
- Wind received a message
- Neo received a message
- DW swapped Wind and Neo

What are your other JOAT abilities, if that's not too dangerous to openly share? And did you swap any players N0?]]

This bothers me. For one, how would a mailman, a role that's purely communicative, know about information regarding the game's setup? Also, while not improbable, I do find it convenient that the two note receivers were swapped, which is why I'm beginning to think that the messages might be faked to try and divert/distract Town from properly scumhunting. Again, it ties back into the push for a "Mafia Mailman" theory - a theory that I noticed several insisting on, though doesn't hold much water under scrutiny? This is entirely speculative, of course, but it's something that's been giving me a lot of pause.
[[The only way I think a mailman might know about a Parrot is if the Parrot targeted a mailman, since the Parrot copies peoples' abilities. So I don't think that a mailman pushing for a Parrot is too far out there.

I do agree that it's convenient (or weird) that both message recipients were swapped yesterday. It's not impossible, of course, just weird. Looks like we had two messages N0 and three on N1. But Wind and Neo both claim to have gotten messages meant for each other? One of them or Pano could be lying about receiving a message, of course, but it's still odd. Or maybe someone was Parrot'd last night, and that's why there's an extra message?]]

She turned sharply at the Floatzel's voice, and hesitated, a bad taste in her mouth. "I thought he might be one of the mailmen," she said. "He was the one who immediately came up with there being one on each side, and then was interested in the parrot idea, but only mentioned the one mailman who sends multiple messages theory as an afterthought summing up the possibilities after that'd been pointed out to him again. I thought that might mean he knew that wasn't it. And since if there was a mafia mailman they wouldn't go out of their way to point out that's possible, I figured he was probably the town mailman. But apparently he wasn't town, so I don't know. With three messages last night, maybe there were three mailmen, one of each faction, and the third message the first night just happened to go to the Inteleon."
[[Oh true, Namo might have received a third message N0. It's still possible that Sike was a mailman, but Idk what the utility of a third party mailman would be.]]

[[For fucks sake, this is just second anni again but with Mailmen instead of Doctors.]]
:mewlulz:

Top Bottom