• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
J:they/them HY:she
[[For fucks sake, this is just second anni again but with Mailmen instead of Doctors.]]
[[I WAS GONNA SAY—

“Hey guys remember when it was Oops All Doctors and Oops All Lovers? NOW WE GET OOPS ALL MAILMEN”]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
[[Anyway hi hello, I am now at the airport waiting for our flight so I have a little time to catch up and share some info. Jackie and I have agreed to share our message we received, so here it is:

Dear Muse:

Congratulations! You received a [item]!

250 ch limit, one message/night. [Item] does nothing, but can name items later as proof of identity. Think you are town.

Unsure how best to help town, can assist with role coordination?

Good luck!

Italics were added by me just to make the message stand out. Similar to what Free did yesterday, we decided not to publicly share the item mentioned in case it’s somehow important or dangerous to reveal...and I do think this message does make the whole item thing make a little more sense?]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[I'm having a very hard time buying three mailmen, let alone two. Granted, there are explanations as to why only two messages were received on N0 and three on N1 (recipient was Namo, third mailman got blocked, we actually do have a Parrot here). A Parrot could explain a couple things, but it doesn't exactly line up completely. For one, it'd mean that either NeoLurosa or Wind is a mailman... Actually hold that thought. How would a swap interact with a Parrot? If the Parrot copies the swappie, wouldn't that mean that both Wind and NeoLurosa are mailmen? This just in: Inke fucking hates Bus Drivers because they make her head hurty.

NeoLurosa's message sounds like a genuine article here, seeing that it was directly addressed to Wind and DW did verify that they did swap the the two last night. Wind's message is one I'm the most :absus: about because I doubt a mailman would have knowledge on certain aspects of the game's setup. Why provide that info N1 instead of immediately on N0? If it is a Parrot, then refer to the previous paragraph. Pano's message is also enough for me to raise a brow. It does corroborate Starlight's N0 message (just nonsense that doesn't mean anything) but enough for me to wonder if it's a coordinated thing. Will need more time to think on this. But until I hear back, Wind has thoroughly earned my sus.]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
But until I hear back, Wind has thoroughly earned my sus.]]
[[Hold on, though, just because Wind’s message doesn’t make much sense, does that really mean Wind is suspicious themself? Idk I just have a really hard time fathoming a scum player actively trying to lie about getting messages. Seems way too bold and risky and easy to pick apart or disprove? Idk though, I can’t wrap my head around three messages]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[Hold on, though, just because Wind’s message doesn’t make much sense, does that really mean Wind is suspicious themself? Idk I just have a really hard time fathoming a scum player actively trying to lie about getting messages. Seems way too bold and risky and easy to pick apart or disprove? Idk though, I can’t wrap my head around three messages]]
[[I was very skeptical of Wind to begin with, because her play on D1 reminds me of her scum!play - which I am familiar with - not her town!play. More detached, spouting basic facts rather than actively theory crafting. Now, to be perfectly fair, I am very bad at reading Wind in general so I may be overtly cautious here, but those initial D1 vibes combined with the questionable message has given me more than a few alarm bells to go off on.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[this is so baffling and my brain is still fuzzy, but I will be reviewing all this tomorrow.

So it can't be a parrot, if the message is nonsense, unless Pano's message is nonsense?

I am also struggling to imagine a world with three message senders except why would scum lie/make up getting a message, it's way too easy to debunk bc the real message sender could eventually just say 'Yeah I didn't send nothing lol'.

This does make me feel a little better about Free and NeoLuro for now, still trying to figure out what to make of all these other messages?

Also I can definitely believe some sort of even/odd night serial killer.

Maybe we have three messages because one was parroted yesterday and the parrot message came through today?]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
[[Wait wait WAIT YOU GUYS I just double checked the list of potential roles and I think I have a theory to explain why three letters happened today and not yesterday. However, I’m not going to say anything just yet until I can run things past Jackie. But I suggest everyone take a look at that list of roles again. There are some potential explanations in there.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
What are your other JOAT abilities, if that's not too dangerous to openly share? And did you swap any players N0?
I can redirect people, redirect people, redirect people, and oh yeah, I can also redirect people. Really diverse set of abilities, isn't it?
(Bus driver, reflect role used on me back to user, force another player to use their night actions on a player of my choice, and force a player to target me.)
No, I didn't use the bus driver N0- JoaT abilities are one shot each. Bus Driver's the only one I've used so far.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[Okay, I'm going to jump in here because Inke DID bring up good points during D1. She mentioned that there was likely no motivator at play after I brought the theory up and she pointed out that the mailmen conversation was unproductive and getting us nowhere. Even if she didn't bring up stuff that was "interesting" to you, she rerailed us when we were stuck in the weeds with a conversation that was going nowhere.]]
She did not rerail us, actually. She told us we were derailed, but she didn't do anything to get it back on the rails. The motivator being unlikely was a good point though, even if I disagree with her 100% percent certainty on it I don't think its something worth focusing on.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[Okay, this is a fair point, but I'm going to bring up pretty much the same rebuttal that Inke did: exactly WHAT am I supposed to commit to on D1? The only things that happened of note were Namo dying, I received a message, and Free also received a message. Unless anyone can garner any value out of a quote from the Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood theme song, I genuinely don't see how I'm supposed to make any sense of my message.

I don't like being too aggressive D1 and trying to lynch someone because so little information is known. And I think a good outcome happened between D1 and N1: no townies were killed, and a third party died (would've been nice if we caught a Mafia, but eh). If we can piece together more info today that makes reasonable sense, I'd be happy to more firmly commit to voting someone off. I'd like to join on Chibi with voting you, except that with the games I've played with you, you have always been very aggressive and still town. I guess how I'm told that I always play scummy and am yet still town (^_^;). I'm also far from the only player who didn't play aggressive or very committal last day phase, so I'm curious as to why you're honing in on me in particular and if it's only because I received a message that I had literally no control over. I know people were curious as to one of the recipients lying about receiving a message D1, but now it looks like there were THREE messages received last night. ]]
I said I was intending to go through everyone. You and Inke were the first people to post, so that's where I started. I'll still hopefully get everyone done but its gonna be harder during the day with posts generally coming in quickly.

As for what you're supposed to commit to: whatever stance you intend to take. You didn't even commit to not wanting to commit to lynching someone. You said you wanted no lynch then turned around and said you weren't sure either way in the very same post.

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Kichiro sat down on the tall seat he created the prior day and looked around the rest of the gathering. As he did, the first thing that he noticed was that the Nosepass of the group was no longer there.

The Ledian tilted his head in surprise. Apparently the Nosepass had been neither with the town or with the mafia (gods who came up with these names)? What did that even mean? Was that Nosepass maybe planning to eventually pick everyone off and be the last one standing or something? Karo hadn't exactly seemed like a serial killer or the like, but he supposed that most serial killers wouldn't look like obvious serial killers anyway.

"Hmph, good riddance then," Kichiro muttered.

[[ Morning everyone. Looks like plenty of happened since D2 begun. Will be writing up a post summarizing my thoughts on everything that happened later today. ]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[Wanted to add this in here before the messages discussion gets too far along (since I'm headed to bed). I also got a message last night. It wasn't nonsense like the messages claimed on D1, but it also wasn't terribly important. Almost conversational, and quite short. So that's another message sent last night to consider.

Will make a proper post in the morning.]]
[[Alright, this is what I was waiting for: confirmation that a third person received a message.

For the moment, I'm not going to post the message in full, since it heavily implies either the mailman's identity or someone trying to impersonate this player. But to paraphrase, the sender said not to discount parrot theory because they're a messangers, and they did not use their ability on N0 because they didn't know who to trust.]]

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[Ohohohoho well fuck everything I said last night lol. Leaving the mouse today but I still might be sparse until then—pls @ me if you need something from me until then, I’ll try to keep up for now]]

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
“Leavin my vote on the Nicket yesterday wasn’t random and I never said it was,” Jet commented with a snort. “And I guess it doesn’t matter anymore since their Voice is a Jack-of-whatever.” She stuck out her tongue.

“The main thing I wanna know is if the blue-hair girl noticed anything funny with the Nosepass yesterday and what it was. Cuz I didn’t notice nothin. I wanna know if the bad guys thought he had a cool power or something.”
"Ha! So you still think the Nicket is suspicious? Why ask the blue-haired girl, though, I wonder? Do you think she might know more than she lets on?"

"And a third party in general... was that Nosepass working alone, or is there another entire faction working alongside it?"
[[Maybe we have three messages because one was parroted yesterday and the parrot message came through today?]]
"Is that how the Parrot works? Target a player one night, and then use their action the next? Or would ya target them one night, and gain that action the same night?"

She did not rerail us, actually. She told us we were derailed, but she didn't do anything to get it back on the rails. The motivator being unlikely was a good point though, even if I disagree with her 100% percent certainty on it I don't think its something worth focusing on.
"Alerting people when they're wasting time and getting them to stop is a form of rerailment, especially if there's nothing more substantial to talk about."

I said I was intending to go through everyone. You and Inke were the first people to post, so that's where I started. I'll still hopefully get everyone done but its gonna be harder during the day with posts generally coming in quickly.

As for what you're supposed to commit to: whatever stance you intend to take. You didn't even commit to not wanting to commit to lynching someone. You said you wanted no lynch then turned around and said you weren't sure either way in the very same post.
[[I wasn't sure, and I ran out of time that day to actually make a post. Day start/end is at 10 AM for me, which is smack-dab in the middle of the workday. My schedule is day-by-day and super sporadic, so sometimes I think I'll be able to get another post in and it ends up not being the case.

But! Your point is taken, and I'll try to be firmer from now on.]]

[[Aaaaand it looks like three messages were sent last night. It sounds like there ARE multiple mailmen at play, or at least people who can send messages by taking on the Mailman's power. Still don't know if one of these could be sending multiple messages, though it sounds like one of the message-senders has an item theme going on.]]

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
[[ Okay, here's my thoughts on everything that's happened so far since the start of D2:

1) Let's start with Sike Saner's death. Don't have much to say here other than that it's a good thing nobody from Town died. Looking at the list of potential roles, her being a serial killer was pretty is likely. If this is true then the Mafia actually might have helped us here, since the chance of a serial killer eliminating town players is much greater than eliminating mafia players. Not sure why we only got one elimination on each night, but maybe she couldn't kill until after a certain amount of nights.

2) DW's claim to be a JOAT is an interesting one. If this is true then it would mean she's innocent. Swapping JackieYellow and Wind doesn't really seem that beneficial to the Mafia unless one of the two is Mafia, but I didn't really get that impression of either of them.

There is of course the chance the DW is lying. I'm not necessarily saying that this is true, but I at least wanna keep the option open. She claimed the role right after people concluded that there was a swap, which seemed a bit opportunistic to me. It's also a good way to obtain a "legitimate" status among the group after being suspected of being mafia the prior day.

That said, nobody else is claiming to have done the swap, so this could be wrong. On the other hand if there's a legit town Bus Driver (so not a JOAT) I can also imagine that this person doesn't wanna reveal himself. A town Bus Driver can almost be as annoying to the mafia as a doctor, so speaking up would make you a likely target. Hell, if DW is mafia this can be even all be bait for the town Bus Driver to reveal himself.

3) Alright, and now onto the messages, which I think is the most interesting. Yesterday's messages didn't really give us much, but things are different here. From a first glance, there appear to be three Mailman at the moment:

1. The person sending unimportant stuff (messaged Starlight on N0 and Pano on N1)
2. The person sending "items" (messaged Free on N0 and tried to message Wind on N1, but ended up messaging JackieYellow instead)
3. The person claiming to not have sent anything on N0, and that there might be a parrot (tried to message JackieYellow on N1, but ended up messaging Wind instead)

It does seem a bit strange to me that there are three Mailman, so I'd like to present a different theory:

The messages so far have been sent by two Mailman, a Parrot, and an Absorber.

A Parrot is able to use the role of the target against him. So if a Parrot targets a Mailman, then the Parrot is allowed to send a message to the Mailman.

An Absorber is able to absorb roles that he got targeted with and use them on subsequent nights.

At first the Parrot theory seemed unlikely to me, since the people messaged on N0 are completely different than N1. This would make it impossible for a Parrot to have messaged someone on N0 and N1. However, with an Absorber in the mix the Parrot theory actually is possible! Basically on N0 a Mailman targeted the Absorber, while the Parrot also targeted a Mailman. Then on N1, two Mailman send out a message, with the third being sent by the Absorber.

This means one of two things:

1. Free is a Mailman, while Starlight is an Absorber
2. Free is an Absorber while Starlight is a Mailman

@Dragonfree @Starlight Aurate can both of you give me your thoughts on this? ]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
250 ch limit, one message/night. [Item] does nothing, but can name items later as proof of identity. Think you are town.
Jet flicked an ear toward the Espeon's Voice. "Sounds like one a the guys sending mail is using the power kinda like that fruit-selling power so they can prove who they are later." That was a pretty smart plan. She definitely would have come up with an even smarter plan if she'd got mail, though.

[[I was very skeptical of Wind to begin with, because her play on D1 reminds me of her scum!play - which I am familiar with - not her town!play. More detached, spouting basic facts rather than actively theory crafting. Now, to be perfectly fair, I am very bad at reading Wind in general so I may be overtly cautious here, but those initial D1 vibes combined with the questionable message has given me more than a few alarm bells to go off on.]]
Jet gave the Luxray a curious look. Her own Voice had been feeling wary about the Absol too. Jet just hadn't said anything because the Voice was stupid and she could win the game without it. But now the Luxray's Voice was cautious too, so she wanted to think about it, at least a little. Except she also hadn't been sure if she could trust the Luxray either...

This game was stupid, Jet decided. She still really wanted to win.

This does make me feel a little better about Free and NeoLuro for now, still trying to figure out what to make of all these other messages?
Jet folded her arms. "Well it's not like the bad guys can't get mail and also tell the truth about it, y'know? I'm not sayin' I think the blue-hair girl or the Espeon are sus. But just cuz someone's mail seems legit don't mean we can trust 'em."

There is of course the chance the DW is lying. I'm not necessarily saying that this is true, but I at least wanna keep the option open. She claimed the role right after people concluded that there was a swap, which seemed a bit opportunistic to me. It's also a good way to obtain a "legitimate" status among the group after being suspected of being mafia the prior day.
Jet let out a huff. "The Nickit's Voice probably ain't lyin about doing the swap, cuz the real swapper coulda kicked their ass by now. So that part was probably real. It don't mean they can't be a bad guy still, but with our luck probably not."

Jet needed some more time to think about all the Ledian's ideas. One of the guys sending mail might've copied the mail power? Wasn't that one copy power pretty much always a bad guy power, though?

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
This means one of two things:

1. Free is a Mailman, while Starlight is an Absorber
2. Free is an Absorber while Starlight is a Mailman

@Dragonfree @Starlight Aurate can both of you give me your thoughts on this?
"I already told you yesterday I'm not a mailman. I'm not an absorber either. I didn't send any messages to anybody." May took a breath. "Also, didn't the person saying there might be a parrot say they deliberately didn't use it on the first night? So if they're an absorber they were lying about it."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jet kept thinking about the three mailmen issue. She was thinking very hard and definitely deserved some kind of prize for it.

"Also wasn't there that whole problem where the mailman's letter only goes out at sunrise, so if a parrot visits them, there ain't enough time for them to write up a whole letter of their own? That'd probably happen even if a parrot visited the mailman who was too fraidy to send a letter on the zero night."

Top Bottom