• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Worldbuilding June

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
@Venia Silente Aulwyr's old companions are deaaaaaaaaaaaad and kind of just programmed backstory. Which is complicated because Aulwyr had a crush on their leader.

Also you can try using emoji in your password. If you dare.

------------------------

11. What’s language like in your world?

Language is complicated because in addition to the in-universe languages the NPCs speak the Players speak their own, real-world languages. Some form of translation is usually provided for NPCs but Players are on their own communicating to each other.

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
Day 7, 2020 List
How do money and the economy work in your world?
A coin-based currency called Poké is used in most major cities, across both Santorenna and the rest of the world, the value of the coins is due to their primary material within them being gold. Despite the existence of this currency many do instead opt for bartering, with most shops ultimately accepting both forms of trade for their wares.

Day 8, 2020 List
Who rules in your world?
The nation of Santorenna is ruled b-
My apologies, it appears that this... "FauxFox" has been frozen solid, not sure how that happened. I am Aisi, Alorran Ninetales, explorer extraordinaire, and lucky for you all, a resident of Santorenna. So without further ado, I'll answer these questions while he thaws out.
Santorenna is ruled by the heads of the nation's 24 noble families known as the Santorenna Council, and the position is passed on from current head of family to successor. For example, my brother Andri Primmer is the current head of the Primmer family, and is the Santorenna Council Representative for the desert city of Wolfex along with the surrounding area. Whenever he either steps down or dies, that role would go to his oldest, or in this case, only child. If he had no children then his significant other -his wife in this case- would take his place. He wasn't married, the role would go to me. A dreadful idea that is. I don't think I could handle the paperwork of the role; I never had a mind for politics. Each member of the Santorenna council has a singular vote during council meetings, and individually they make the rules for their domains.

It seems the ice is thawing, so I've got to go!

Day 9, Pokémon List
What religions and myths/legends are exist in your world?
So... cold... Anyway, the people of Santorenna have some legends depending on what region of the nation they reside in, such as the south-eastern lands having temples to what we know as the "Weather Trio." There is one being considered to be above all known as "The Ark" often represented by a pair of golden rings.
There are myths of ancient Pokémon-adjacent beings that once walked the world that were far more advanced than Pokémon. It is debated if these creatures known as "humans" peacefully coexisted with Pokémon or if they used them as tools, as there has been evidence to support both claims. Either way, they are no longer present in the world, and haven't been for at least a millennia.

Day 10, 2020 List
What traditions are observed in your world?
Honestly, I haven't decided yet. I'm sure I'll come back to this eventually, at the very least if it comes up in the story.

Day 11, 2020 List
What’s language like in your world?
There is a 27-letter written alphabet that sounds much like our English when spoken. The world seems to have developed a universal language based on the language of ancient humans, mostly because I'm a little too lazy to come up with languages or explain why Theo is able to understand what the Pokémon are saying, so instead I am just having a singular language spoken by all Pokémon.

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
Don't have a definitive answer but at the very least, there's a big holiday and festival for a week to celebrate the creation of the grand Castles that saved draconic and humankind. These festivals last about 7 days I guess, and the people gather around the castle and surrounding area. There's tours and games and its a rare time I guess when dragons will hang out more with humans?

Another tradition is a sort of rite of passage/pilgrimage that most youths undertake. Anywhere from age 14-16 or sometimes older, you can travel to sacred places where its possible to commune with the planets Patron dragon and receive a blessing and access to magic. It's fairly common to do, and most people tend to do it before or when they come of age. Generally the village or close family and friends have a send off party and a potluck type thing and gifts of traveling food, clothes, stuff for the road, that kind of stuff.

I'm sure there's also some kind of season based festivals too. I don't think seasons are the same as our world though.

There's also a celebration whenever a new High Prince/Princess is elected.

There are two broad languages. Human and draconian. Humans share a common origin and language as they're from the same planet as well. It's not technically English probably, just some kind of common-tongue I guess. Transliterated English I guess? Human-tongue.

Dragons, however, have their own language. Mostly because humans also kind of struggled with dragon-tongue. And dragons came first. Dragons also aren't particularly good at human-tongue. Speaking wise, neither side tends to fluently speak the other but the languages themselves are similar enough that the main barrier tends to be more about pronounciation and details than a total barrier.
As in, a dragon can speak a garbled human-tongue in a way that can be vaguely understood, and a human can likewise attempt garbled dragon-tongue. And the languages themselves have many similar words and structures.
I guess like Spanish/Porteugeuse or Hatian Creole/French kinda vibes.

While some on both sides understand both its hard to get a handle on speaking it fluently, so its rare to find. Not every human speaks or knows dragon, and not every dragon has a perfect grasp on human. There are charmed jewelry from the old ages and some dragons and humans able to wield magic in a way that allows communication though, with practice.

In addition, each kingdom tends to have some unique speaking quirks and mannerisms. I don't know what those are yet though lol. Extra words for things, different communication styles, and names for things not common on other planets.

Venia Silente

For your ills, I prescribe a cat.
At the 0-divisor point of the Riemann AU Earth
Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
  3. fearow
Who asked for more content? Everyone? Good.

We're gonna tackle the subject of peoples:

by kyeugh:

Who are the agents writing the history of your world? You can use this prompt to describe […] an important civilization or organization in your world […].

This one will be a two-fer. I'll post one excerpt on the prompt first, and later on I'll post another excerpt on the same prompt. I mean, it's two worlds so I have lots of people to speak about!

When it comes to organizations, nothing comes more traditional to a Pokémon world, than heroes. Ideally with hats. And how do they organize themselves or join in into the legends?

Well, depends on what they are fighting.

The Binders of Inazumi​

When it comes to the people making history, it’s difficult to ignore the contestants who take part in the Trials of Inazumi.

Located in the Archipelago of Thelenea, infused with magic, Inazumi is one of the four main islands of the Fairy realm of Remlia, and at the same time one of its most powerful and dangerous assets given the energy it exudes.

Since long, Remlia has established itself as a coöperative thaumatocracy: representative Houses of every island join forces to quell the tumultuous pools of typed energy across the archipelago, reshaping those energies into a steady supply for the inhabitants of the islands to construct artifacts or create spells out of them.

This maintenance of global energy is not without its dangers, however. The pools change their properties every few years and they, led by Inazumi, tend to claim a few tens of lives a year, or hundreds if they are not reined in in time.

The Trials of Inazumi were established as a rite to quell the energy springs in a controlled manner. With one quest on each major island, plus three quests in Inazumi, the Trials are the closest thing the world of -fríd has to a mainline-like circuit, resembling Alola’s Trials.

A few teams of contestants sign up into the Trials, maybe in search of fame, development of new powers, or the continuity of their House. Each stage of the trial requires finding a means to subdue the energy pool of the respective island, usually by binding it and aligning it with a specific Type.

Surpassing the initial trials is easy compared to Inazumi, however, in no small part thanks to the depths of the island exuding strong anti-magic flows. Every House is aware of the ultimate quest: the team must enter the energy pool in southern Inazumi, the most chaotic and isolated from help, and have one of their number entombed into the pool, to act as a living beacon that filters and directs the antimagic to the southern skies, away from the islands.

Thus, even at their best, the successful team will always return one short. And their effort will only grant a few years of reprieve before the beacon subsides and the pool grows into disarray again.

Those who manage to subdue Inazumi are renowned in Remlia as heroes, their names made part of legend. The puzzle-solver and merchant Letoria the Salazzle, the magical resistance of Nagn Nestor the Emboar, the unbroken vigil of the sibling Meowstic siblings Saka and Saki, or the “undoer of spectres” Ralan the Gengar; their adventures are narrated by Kecleon merchants and Blissey mothers.

The ones who return victorious are granted the chance to take the rank of Remfyth – the thaumatocracy’s sanctioned warlocks; or they can join in the Farglove, the judicial branch in the capital. Truth be told, the Trials are challenge enough that many victors usually decide to retire and later migrate to Elergaba or Braya for easier lives, also in part as their own show of respect for the comrade they had to leave behind.

Tradition also has it that the next born of the Remle rulers, succeeding a completed Inazumi trial, takes a name after the hero who stayed behind to bind Inazumi.

Such was the case with former king Naratima Ikrani Srečis the Togekiss, named after the legendary hero Grani Among the Staying, who sealed Inazumi and lifted the curse by many called the “Dereliction of the Feystand” that had afflicted Remlia for centuries beforehand. As well as the case of Vaya Filagri Beosutkku e Maffe, second daughter of the current Breloom regents, named after Floragato quester and former Nevareona court magician Filagros Among the Staying.

This is all in all not strange; those who subdue Inazumi have granted the islands life, breath, power and security for the years to come, and no one better than Fairy types to warn not to incur in disrespect towards the trial-takers, that would earn the islands of Thelenea unforetold afflictions like the Dereliction once was.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
The Trials of Inazumi were established as a rite to quell the energy springs in a controlled manner. With one quest on each major island, plus three quests in Inazumi, the Trials are the closest thing the world of -fríd has to a mainline-like circuit, resembling Alola’s Trials.

A few teams of contestants sign up into the Trials, maybe in search of fame, development of new powers, or the continuity of their House. Each stage of the trial requires finding a means to subdue the energy pool of the respective island, usually by binding it and aligning it with a specific Type.

Surpassing the initial trials is easy compared to Inazumi, however, in no small part thanks to the depths of the island exuding strong anti-magic flows. Every House is aware of the ultimate quest: the team must enter the energy pool in southern Inazumi, the most chaotic and isolated from help, and have one of their number entombed into the pool, to act as a living beacon that filters and directs the antimagic to the southern skies, away from the islands.
Whoa, very metal and cool, and a little sad. To know without a doubt that your big heroic quest will always end in one sacrifice...

Is this something teams tend to decide beforehand, or do they decide at the last minute? Do the families of the heroic sacrifice get any material benefits, or is it mostly immaterial accolades of fame of the name?

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
What religions and myths/legends are exist in your world?
So... cold... Anyway, the people of Santorenna have some legends depending on what region of the nation they reside in, such as the south-eastern lands having temples to what we know as the "Weather Trio." There is one being considered to be above all known as "The Ark" often represented by a pair of golden rings.
oOoOO some good ole legend worship! What do they tend to do for acts of worship? Is it temples to honor them, or is there also sacrifices/offerings? prayers?
mostly because I'm a little too lazy to come up with languages or explain why Theo is able to understand what the Pokémon are saying, so instead I am just having a singular language spoken by all Pokémon.
goossshhh mood lol

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
7. How does the economy work in your world?

Heck if I know.

8. Who rules in your world?

The world is ruled by the singular Empress, who's elected from candidates from every corner of the realm. The Empress is always a young girl, following the tradition set down by the gods, and her reign will last only a few years. However, every region has its own government as well.

9. What religion and cosmology exists in your world?

Since the gods took up humans as their project before the humans could spread out and develop, all human civilization reveres the same pantheon. However this has also hampered notions of storytelling and myth, because everyone knew things were as the gods said, so there was little need to think further.

10. What traditions are observed in your world?

Various regions have their own celebrations. Some of the ones I came up with are a "big float" on a lake, a photography festival, and of course the Empress's coronation tour!
Other traditions include things like seasonal activities, invoking the gods for various things (they don't answer), and never enter or leave the forbidden continent, the Other Side of the World!

11. What’s language like in your world?

Fairly unified. After all, the gods taught that too!

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
What do they tend to do for acts of worship? Is it temples to honor them, or is there also sacrifices/offerings? prayers?
Some of the larger cities do have temples, often as a centerpiece. Most towns at the very least have a small church or place of worship. Acts of devotion range anywhere from prayer (for some of the "minor deities" and all of the major ones), song and dance (often devoted to a specific legendary, usually Groudon or Kyogre as a way to request a certain type of weather), portions of a towns harvest (dedicated to the Forces of Nature). The Ark usually gets a mix of pray and offerings, because the whole "creator of everything" schtick.
It is also customary to leave a coin under one's pillow at the beginning of the new year as an offering for Hoopa, who will bring chaos to your life if you don't. The only way to get Hoopa to stop is to leave one coin for every day that has gone by in the year so far, and if they are gone the next day then Hoopa accepted your apology. Hoopa doesn't actually take the coins, but instead hides them around your home to be found later.

Would be interesting to find out later, if it isn't part of story material already, if this was only a tale / a perception of the people of back then, or if the island's biome has been changing that much over time. As well as how did Pokémon migrate and adapt from it. I can think mons like Tototiles would not have been very happy.
It will get explained in Faux Truths eventually, though not too in depth as none of the characters were around for it. The shifting biomes did lead to territory disputes between different Pokémon species way back when, leading some to get wiped out in certain areas and others to become more prominent, though no species of Pokémon has truly gone extinct yet. The Barboach and Mudkip populations have dropped drastically, and there are significantly more Aldean Wooper than there are Santorenn Wooper. Many water-type mon's that lived in the marshes but can live outside -like Croagunk- of it began moving to forests, which weren't too far due to the gradual shift climate.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
12. What fauna inhabit your world?

Many animals dwell atop the Platebearers, most rescued from the world below. Some are normal animals but many are creatures from throughout the Mystica Gem series's history, or even unique to this game. Some are kept as pets or mounts by both NPCs and players.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
Gonna go ahead and combine these two.

As mentioned earlier, each planet conists of distinct, magically mantained biomes. These biome's are based heavily on irl earth setting, so you can expect some of the similar respective plants and animals. Aside from draconians, there's not a ton of non-earth things.
A key difference I suppose is that everything tends to be a little bit bigger and more robust though. Like a forest on Arboris will have trees a bit bigger than an earth forest, and sturdier. Things grow a little bit faster and are a little bit tougher. There's definitely some unique materials and fruits too, but I don't have anything specific.
There are creatures called Frost Scorpions though! These are Scorpions as big as a van and covered in fur and a tough hide. Most deadly poison known to anyone. There might be a few other scattered mega fauna but I haven't decided yet for sure.

That being said there is one other massive difference. The anima.

Anima's (working name?) are a collective term for animals that carry a particular and unusual gene that causes them to grow larger and possess above average intelligence (roughly equivalent to a dog like a german shepherd). Anima's come in a ton of different species, ranging from common mammals to the more rare birds and ocean life. In addition to intelligence, they are stronger, faster and hardier than their ordinary counterparts. So think big versions of wolves, deer, bears, lizards, birds, rats, badgers and even things like spiders. Roughly horse-ish/pony sized. In other words, riding sized.

Because of this, Anima's are commonly trained and used as mounts. Not everyone has one, I'd say roughly 60-70% of any given populace might have one. Usually anyone who travels a lot, and any royalty. They're considered somewhat "sacred" insofar as hunting and harming them is frowned on a lot.

I think riding big animals is cool.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
13. What flora covers your world?

Plenty of plant life grows symbiotically stoop the Platebearers. One in particular hosts a great tree called the Nyyis Tree, which is considered sacred to many. Other plants are used to create player items and other useful goods.

Venia Silente

Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
  3. fearow
And now, Part 2 of Peoples, a bit delayed.

The Nobles of Génives​

The world of -zmer is home to the unique custom of the Wheel of Migration, where the three people groups of Horizontia, Génives and Dunsun take turns inhabiting different portions and settlements of the continent, rotating between them depending on the season and other environmental phenomena.

No one actually likes this arrangement, which involves things like tidying up hamlets and villages and restocking medicine cellars so that they can be used by the next ethnic group in the rotation. The Genives, for example, would have to dedicate a week and half of work every other year to set their lands to the benefit of the riparians such as Poliwhirl and Floatzel from the Horizontia.

Those heathens.

But the alternative back then was a protracted war that had weakened the continent to invasion by the inhabitants of Mother’s Wounds – or, worse, the heretics from the Tower of Hedra – so when an agreement was made to “share lands”, everyone clapped and nodded begrudgingly.

Well… Almost everyone.

pfxe9lq.gif

Atop the feudal-like organization of the people of the Génives, the Noble castes have seated themselves by way of shows of force, inheriting weapon stashes, developing elemental armouring magitek, and machinations various. The Nobles consist of humanoid and insectoid Pokémon such as Medicham, Scyther, Rabsca and Zoroark, as well as a few Steel-, Fighting- or Rock-types such as Lycanroc or Mawile.

These “chosen few” consider themselves to be the driving force behind Genives society: food, arts, war, the Wheel – it’s all for them. Unfortunately, they do have the power and resources to back it up, so for more than a few decades they’ve held most of Genives under their grip.

But there are still two things they share with the lower classes – and with everyone else:

First, no one likes the Nobles, not even each other. So, backstabbing and underhandedness are common.

For example:

Some twenty years ago, the forces of Lady Etka the Scyther Noble sabotaged the Migration of Hada the 647th the Rabsca Noble and her colony, wiping much of their reproductive ranks. Not letting the opportunity go to waste, Nubelù the independent Lycanroc Noble infiltrated Etka’s Labyrinth and absconded with most of their Scizor-made armoury. The loot then was either sold on the black market, or traded over to allied forces like the metalforgers of Prowa the Aggron Noble’s.

Out of 68 Nobles watching, 43 were impressed.

Of course, none of the aforementioned Nobles are alive today. Eventually they were taken out, supplanted, scceeded or outright went """missing""", and over the years a new name or two took their places.

Out of 65 Nobles watching, 61 sighed hypocritically.

Second: they also really don’t like the Migration Wheel. So for decades they’ve attempted to sabotage that, too. If there is one thing that can get the Nobles to join in into a common effort for a few weeks every other year, it’s the possibility of wrecking the day (and the season) of any of the other civilizations rotating in the continent.

The Horizontias and the Dunsunan are privvy to these machinations, and each of them also sometimes gather their forces to counter the advances of the Genives courts.

If you have been reading my works, you’ve already seen one of those efforts: for years the Dunsunan have been intervening Fugue Mountain, creating a cordon of supplies for a potential siege of a Noble fortification if it comes to that.

Because, remember:

No one likes the Nobles.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
14. What do people eat in your world?

Food consumption usually involves at least one or two... exotic plants, animals, or minerals thrown into the mix. For NPCs they're simply food, for the Players, they're stat boosts.

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
Prompt 12, Pokémon list
What is the gym circuit or adventuring organization like in your world?
The nation of Santorenna is home to a multitude of Explorers Guilds funded in part by and allowed to operate thanks to the Santorenna Council, and monitored by the Association of Exploration (The AoE). Explorer Guilds do a variety of jobs -most being dungeon related- such as bounty hunts, item collection and/or retrieval, rescues, and general exploration and discovery. The AoE has a branch known as the Rescue Team Society (RTS) which is less focused on the exploration aspect of jobs and more on the rescue of those in dungeons. The RTS has first call on almost all rescue jobs -dungeon related or not- and its members are highly trained in healing, escorting, and survival in all types of dangerous environments.

Prompt 13, Pokémon List
How have Pokémon powers contributed to the technology of your world?
Boats were developed quicker as a way for land Pokémon to have the same ease of travel as water Pokémon, and flying Pokémon have allowed for long-distance communication through mail. After the realization that electric-type attacks were drawn to certain steel-type Pokémon, the Lightning Rod was developed to draw actual lightning away from homes, most of which are made of wood and stone. Psychic-type Pokémon have made the transportation of heavy objects easier, and Pokémon such as Whirlipede and Rolycoly were inspiration for the wheel, which was later developed into the cart for ease of long-distance transportation of heavy objects when a Psychic-type wouldn't be able to help.

Prompt 14, Pokémon List
What's your answer to "the meat question"?
I've been dreading this one, but here goes nothing: It is considered wrong for a Pokémon to consume another Pokémon, so pretty much all Pokémon are vegetarian. Since its a world with a ton of creatures that don't exist in the real world, they don't need to follow its rules either and are able to survive off of only plants, regardless of species or if reason dictates that they would be carnivores. There are some who choose to eat other Pokémon, but those that do are twisted killers that often hide out away from society, waiting for a chance to ambush their next victims. Additionally, some Pokémon that wander the dungeons may consume others they encounter in the dungeon in an effort to survive, as most dungeon Pokémon are returned to their base instincts.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
15. What technology is used in your world?

Different forms of magitek of some sort are common throughout the world. One of the most prominent ones are airships, which are essential for getting from Platebearer to Platebearer. Airships come in many shapes and models and are considered a form of artistic expression.

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
And now to actually do one of these the day of.
Prompt 15, Pokémon List
What technology is used in your world? (Think poké balls and poké gear, or orbs/seeds/scarves etc.)
Sleep seeds are sometimes used by doctors when they need their patients to sleep, orbs are rare to find but have no effect outside of dungeons, instead being used as decorations for those that can afford them. No one really knows how to make TMs, but they can be found in dungeons and used by any Pokémon that can learn the moves, making them valuable to any. The effects of scarves and ribbons are active both in and out of dungeons, and while not commonplace, it certainly isn't rare to see anyone wearing them.
Explorer badges given out by the AoE of Santorenna are made with escape orbs that allow their wearers to teleport other Pokémon out of the dungeon, an ability used to get rescued Pokémon and bounty targets alike out of dungeons and into a guild's receiving room. They can be used by whoever is wearing them to check how many floors into a mystery dungeon they are, and can send a signal to the guild if help is needed in an emergency. An oversight in their creation resulted in an explorer badge not being able to teleport out it's wearer, or anyone else wearing an explorer badge, so in order to rescue someone with one, you have to either escort them out of the dungeon, or take their badge temporarily.
The lightbulb has been invented, but isn't widely used as it is considered to be expensive and unnecessary, since candles provide the same effect without having to find some method of powering them. That hasn't stopped a strange Kirlia in the town of Glanyce from making a ton of them though.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
16. What magic exists in your world?

Magic is a raw and potent force throughout the world, cropping up just about anywhere in anything. However magic can only be harnessed by certain character classes and other specialists - at least, if you're a Player or a more mundane NPC. More powerful NPC beings have a bit more leeway in when and how they use magic, save for the deity Aulwyr, who again had much of his power lost.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
17. What’s medicine and healthcare like in your world?

There is a wide trend of assorted potions, made from plant and sometimes animal parts, that heal various ailments. Players have access to MOST of these and use them in their various tasks. Some events lock the use of certain items, however.

Venia Silente

Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
  3. fearow
More content!

WBJ 2024 P31: Technology​

Orhric Armours​

From kyeugh’s prompt:

This is your chance to delve into technology of any time [snip] a unique weapon or piece of magitech, [snip]… The possibilities are endless!

Be Safe – Buy Elemental Armour​

In a world inhabited by Pokémon with many different shapes and cultures, securing proper protections when you have to inevitably to go war or go to extract resources from a dangerous zone can be an ordeal.

Even the best Pokémon, though they can command the forces of nature, are still mortal creatures exerting a feeble control over nature.

(Unless you are a Legendary, but when was the last time Nevareona threw their local Raikou and Suicune at our glorious forces? That’s right, 15 years ago. And we beat Raikou.)

So next time, before you have to dig into the depths of a Gólorboj caldera to extract valuable Neverstone lava orbs to trade…

…or before boarding a weak, solitary merchant Remlian ship in the middle of Solidad – only to find out they hired a bunch of Folmo mercenaries for protection…

…or before you ignore all the warnings from the veterans of the Chariot of Likakanb, and decide to walk into the Smoke Forests to try and hunt down the Greevi-Nosr so you can make a name for yourself (either as a hero aor as a dead mon)…

Invest in Far Mlyenoen Armour!

Few investments in a warrior’s life are safer than the latest models of orhric armour from the smiths of the depths of Mlyenne.

Because when you want to survive a blow to the heart, few things beat body armour crafted in the cavernous end of the world – and most Mlyenne cave mons don’t even have a heart to protect!

The “secret” behind the efficacy of orhic armour is taking advantage of material orhdrism, a unique relationship deep world materials can have when exposed to energy of specific Types, something common in the depths of the world.

And don’t worry: Mlyenoen smiths fashion all kinds of protections both for their workers, and for whoever can put forth the coin.

So if you are an avian Pokémon for example, black market stores such as Macun’s Birds of Prey in Grafia specialize in lined, super lightweight neck and chest protection that doesn’t get in the way of flying and can spell the difference between safely divebombing an enemy formation, or dying from a Thunderbolt to the chest.

Remember: buy from the best, or die like the rest!

(now, where have you read that one before? ^_^)

This announcement was not sponsored by Mlyenne’s Committee of Formation Supplies. The Mlyenne Cluster does not endorse the black-market export of these technologies to non-continental agents, in particular those of Nevareona. Join in to the Cluster’s efforts and snuff out an illegal trader today!

Orhdrism 101​

In general when it comes to interfacing matter and energy, two things can happen:

• The material is “transparent” to the energy, by which it means the energy can pass through the layers of material imparting little if any effect on the material.
  • The material is “opaque” to the energy, by which the material either absorbs the energy or reflects it in part, resulting in the material being altered by the impacting energy.

Orhdrism is a slightly different effect. It “polarizes” some materials such that when they receive energy of a given type and in a particular direction, the energy will “slide” across the surface of the material and be safely ejected at the other side while mostly preserving direction.

This effect serves as the background for some of the material engineering achievements across Nrafhal.

For example it sits as the basis of Nevareona’s “mud rails”: wagons with their bottom part lined with Ground-orhric particles can be made to slide off flat muddy or sandy surfaces when Ground energy is applied to the “road”, an effect similar (but a cause distinct) to what we find in IRL’s maglevs.

(Braking those wagons to a stop is quite a different adventure, though!)

The applications to Mlyenoen body armour are more obvious: putting on a vest that has been lined with Dragon-orhric material for example, would greatly help repel the energy of Dragon-type attacks hitting you directly. However this does comes at the cost that you yourself wouldn’t be able to use Dragon energy efficiently, because the vest slides your draconic energy off from you when you use it.

One particular difficulty with orhric is strongly exclusive. Most orhric materials in Nrafhal are only orhric to, at most, two or three Types at a time, and never in the same “direction”. Scholars in the Tower of Hedra have also proven it is impossible to construct a material that is orhric to “negating combinations” of types, such as a Rock, Fire and Water because both Rock and Water resist Fire; or even worse Ghost and Normal where both types strongly repel each other.

Orhdrism is an active property of a material and it must be maintained by applying certain processes or avoiding certain changes. One example “maintenance” is regularly transferring energy from Gems to the orhric materials in question.

rev 1.0 (2024-06-17)

This material and other materials on the world of Nrafhal, you'll also find referenced at the Nrafhal portal.

And now, some questions from our peers.

From @Umbramatic

Aulwyr's old companions are deaaaaaaaaaaaad and kind of just programmed backstory.

The "are deeaaaaaaaad" mental tone is quite a mood and goes great with a Batman mental image. Also, programs have feelings too! 😭

From @Flyg0n (post):

Whoa, very metal and cool, and a little sad. To know without a doubt that your big heroic quest will always end in one sacrifice...

Is this something teams tend to decide beforehand, or do they decide at the last minute? Do the families of the heroic sacrifice get any material benefits, or is it mostly immaterial accolades of fame of the name?

Well, by now this forms part of the general tradition of the region, so the teams pretty much always know beforehand. There is also reticence towards letting foreign heroes or general do-gooders into even the first stages of the Trial without making well damn sure they are well informed of what Inazumi entails, and for the purpose of serving as a better cultural "bridge", first- or second-generation immigrants of Inazumi are usually candidated as guardians or supports for the Trials in the island.

But... the overall belief goes, the sacrifice has to be earnest. Or at least, one should not do as "pompous sacrifices" who go at it for personal glory - or worse, for the glory of seditious parties in the nation as was the case of Thorn's Dog, Greavard Among the Staying, and thus may or *did* cause pain and disaster for the Islands.

There is a push, then, to not "oversell" the sacrifice. The gone hero's remaining reproductive mates, if any, get a permit, extra stipend and lots of support to reestablish themselves anywhere in the islands would they choose, but that's as far as it goes in terms of direct material support: the peoples of Remlia prefer to express their gratitude towards the family of gone heroes in terms of social aids and platitudes various after that instead, such as priority admittance into nesting or emergency shelters, providing them a bodyguard when they journey far from home, etc.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
18. What is clothing and fashion like in your world?

Fashion gets very elaborate, with very complex outfit designs. Players have a special ability - the ability to equip any outfit they want over their current gear. NPCs and enemies typically make do with what they have, which ranges from just as elaborate if not more to more plain depending on their stature.

Top Bottom