• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[Hm. I think it'd depend on 3p's wincon. If 3p could win with town four Mafia is plausible, but if Sike was an SK that just got blocked I'd agree that 3 mafia to start with makes sense. 13p games usually have 3 mafia and a 3p, so I kinda see this as similar but larger though-- a quarter of the game as scum and then throw the extra slot to 3p.
[[Wait no 15 is down from from the interval of quarters nevermind.
Would definitely say it depends on 3p's ability to win with either faction then.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Pano, I hope you enjoy the news that you have been kneecapping Town this entire time. You've been blocking your Cop for the entire game and therefore, blocked three confirmed reads for everyone.
[[Ah yes, because I'm supposed to magically know this. Not angry, just laughing right now because for the love of god why would you not say something?? How am I supposed to know what role I am blocking??? I assumed because you were quiet about it you weren't even aware of the block. I've already been one wtf role as a TP Survivor Bus Driver, and now this. Lol I just don't even know anymore.

Welp, sorry about that I guess?]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Hm. I think it'd depend on 3p's wincon. If 3p could win with town four Mafia is plausible, but if Sike was an SK that just got blocked I'd agree that 3 mafia to start with makes sense. 13p games usually have 3 mafia and a 3p, so I kinda see this as similar but larger though-- a quarter of the game as scum and then throw the extra slot to 3p.
[[There are more kinds of third parties than serial killer and winning with town! It's likely Karo was a custom; he may have had any number of win conditions, but that does not mean he was a serial killer who would've had to have gotten blocked.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[oh whoops forgot to keep reading but there are ways to hint that you are an active role without waving a big ol COP flag around. Hell, I'm sure people have soft claimed stuff in this game and others that have gone entirely over people's heads. Even a casual mention of "hey I wonder if there's a role blocker in this game" would have been enough for me to know you were aware of my presence and that meant you were an active role. I use that to read people all the time, actually. Like Tetra being the only one to bring up odd/even nights as a mechanic? That told me there was a good chance that was in her role PM info, and Virgil's Absorber theory had me worried there might be one of those abound, too.

Really don't know what else to say in my defense other than I guess next time I'll just not use my powers and be a glorified vanilla myself. Hey, it worked in Humble Vale!]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[There are more kinds of third parties than serial killer and winning with town! It's likely Karo was a custom; he may have had any number of win conditions, but that does not mean he was a serial killer who would've had to have gotten blocked.]]
[[Well, yeah. Occam's razor in my experience usually puts them into one of those two, but having been a not-quite-cult and played with various others, I should've thought of that. I amend that statement to something along the lines of "if Sike's wincon wasn't mutually exclusive with town's". There are plenty of wincons Negrek could've come up with where it wouldn't be, and plenty that it would.
I guess we hopefully find out how many scum there are by lynching scum today and tomorrow and seeing if the game ends.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
oh whoops forgot to keep reading but there are ways to hint that you are an active role without waving a big ol COP flag around.
[[Not all active roles get feedback. If yoh don't get feedback you won't know you're blocked. Basically the only roles that get feedback are invest roles.]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[Trying to see if I'm able to drop out. I've just been dead weight, and I have absolutely no idea what to do.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[Trying to see if I'm able to drop out. I've just been dead weight, and I have absolutely no idea what to do.]]
[[No, no don't do that. You're doing great! The game is just about over anyway.]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
[[Not all active roles get feedback. If yoh don't get feedback you won't know you're blocked. Basically the only roles that get feedback are invest roles.]]
jet-laugh.png
"My voice was an idiot and made this mistake before! The only ones who'd ever know are the one who got Info."

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Really don't know what else to say in my defense other than I guess next time I'll just not use my powers and be a glorified vanilla myself.
[[According to you're alleged reasons for blocking Inke, you were already trying to be a glorified vanilla. You were actively trying to use your role on someone who you thought it would be ineffective on, rather than seeking out to use it in a way that would help the town. Town roleblocker trying to block a town passive over a scum active is completely nonsensical.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[According to you're alleged reasons for blocking Inke, you were already trying to be a glorified vanilla. You were actively trying to use your role on someone who you thought it would be ineffective on, rather than seeking out to use it in a way that would help the town. Town roleblocker trying to block a town passive over a scum active is completely nonsensical.]]
[[lemme just quote from the wiki here for a second but...
Passive abilities, such as a Bulletproof player's kill immunity or a Mason's ability to privately talk, are not affected.
If I use my ability at night, a tracker can follow me and prove that I have an active role. My block will not affect a passive townie per the wiki (unless I'm misunderstanding this??).

I guess from my time playing as a bus driver, the prospect of hitting the active scum seemed much more difficult than predicting the town target each night. Me predicting a target does no good, and if I strike the doctor by just guessing? I've done harm.

The plan was to find a passive role and wait until we reached a stage late enough in the game to make finding the active scum easier and less risky to town. The plan also hinged on having whoever was blocked acknowledge it in some way, and I would move on to a different person.

By my count of the role list, the following roles would get some kind of feedback from a block: Absorber, Bus Driver, Cop, (conditionally) Doctor, (potentially) JOAT, Mailman, Motion Detector, Oracle, Parrot, Role Cop, (unsure of Seraph Knight honestly), Serial Killer, Tracker, Vigilante, and Watcher.

These aren't notifications that their night action failed from the GM, but results of gameplay the next day. A Vig shot didn't go through. A Doctor's target was killed. A piece of mail isn't claimed by anyone. These aren't all info roles but would absolutely be affected by a block.

That's **15** possible roles for me to find and move on from. And none of them *have* to claim their role in order to alert the game to the presence of a block. If the scum can pick out someone from 15 roles because of a casual mention of a role block, kudos to them.

That's why I didn't think this strategy would be so catastrophic. Apparently I was wrong.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Honestly all I wanted to ask today was if you used your power, but probably better not to say, just in case?

Fwiw I relate, in a game like this it can be hard to know what to do and I always feel like 'ahhhh Idk this is too much'

But really just participating in discussions can be helpful. Asking questions, or even just voicing thoughts on if you think a claim sounds sus or true, or just saying that someone feels off to you.

Ngl, I voted abra *because* I thought they were very quiet, and was worried they were scum trying to hide.

I think as town it can be helpful to just talk stuff through with people who seem or feel like maybe you trust them, and give opinions]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[I'm trying to evaluate Pano and decide if this is a scum defense or if it's just town misplay (which is 100% fair tbh cause I bit abra lollolol, mistakes happen).

I wonder if we might propose killing Starlight tonight instead? We know there's one more scum out there and if it is Pano we can cop Pano, whereas Starlight could be the scum mailman, since we know the others are town.

We could cop Pano and protect the cop?]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[..... Duh right! Although then we'd still know Pano is guilty, we effectively force Panos hand]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[the reason why I say this is because it arguably put mafia in a tighter position and gains more raw info I think, in regards to potential stealth scum?]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[But you know it's hard to see a town roleblocker so we could just vote Pano and use cop on someone like Starlight or Free or Chibi?]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[Look now that I know how royally I fucked up, I'm not going back to Inke again. Effectively you have my block at your disposal now, and any deviation from whatever plan should be clear enough guilt, no?

My main concern is even if you take my role out of the equation, town still has/had a Tracker, a Watcher, 4 unique one-shot swapping powers, a Vigilante who can kill multiple times, a Doctor, a Cop, a Bodyguard, and a Universal Backup should anything have happened to any of these powers.

Ask yourself, why have this many power roles when the scum team has one kill per night, no TP killing power, and the scum team used their strongshot early? What else do they have that is so powerful? That's not something I can answer, but it might be something I can prevent if we can figure out what it is.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[But you know it's hard to see a town roleblocker so we could just vote Pano and use cop on someone like Starlight or Free or Chibi?]]
[[It's also hard to see three mailmen in a game but here we are]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
My main concern is even if you take my role out of the equation, town still has/had a Tracker, a Watcher, 4 unique one-shot swapping powers, a Vigilante who can kill multiple times, a Doctor, a Cop, a Bodyguard, and a Universal Backup should anything have happened to any of these powers.
[[Assuming 4-person scumteam that you're a part of, at least one of Tracker, Doc, and Bodyguard is a lie. And you have the ability to prevent any one of theze active roles from being used. In role madness set ups where town has a lot of abilities, scum having a disruptor is absolutely vital to their ability to control the night. That means you're scum, I'm scum, or scum has a disruptor that hasn't claimed and we haven't seen any signs of. Realistically, it's probably one of the first two.

Being able to prevent town's PRs from doing their thing is incredibly powerful in scum's hands, especially in the reasonably likely scenario that scum has a rolecop to tell them who town's PRs are.]]

Top Bottom