• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Down for massclaim, as I said; I should probably not claim unless we agree everyone will, though.

Other players should weigh in but I pretty strongly think it's a good idea in our current situation.

Can't be here too much longer, need to go to bed soon, but.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Steven approached the group while reading a message in his hands. He scanned the contents before crumpling the paper and tossing it away, where it was absorbed by the white void of the ground. Throwing a disgusted look at Archie, he said, "I got his message, but I'm not reading something so crass aloud."

Seeing the rest of the group staring at him with the same level of annoyance and suspicion, Steven sighed and straightened his lapels. "It seems as if I've garnered all of your suspicions, and for that I can't blame you. I've had to stay pretty quiet thus far for several reasons, one of which our Floatzel friend knows well enough." He glanced over toward Jet with a grim look.

"I'm not sure what the Floatzel's end game is, but I know I couldn't play as... boldly as her. Not with the role that I have. I just knew I would be more useful the longer I was able to stick around. And at this point, I think it's safe to assume with our numbers and combined powers, I can be useful at least once to try to solve this game."

"I am fine with claiming if that is what you want to do. Tell me which order in the queue you'd like me to go to best assure you of my innocence. I don't think I have to be so tight-lipped any longer."

[[The flavor says it, but I'm fine with mass claiming after yesterday's flips/claims. I'm hoping now the combo of town powers can stave off any of what the mafia has. Can't say I've played in a game where this has happened, so you tell me when to claim (if we're doing it) so I won't be sussed for claiming wrong or something. I'd be very surprised if there was a duplicate of my role, tbh, given how this has all played out so far.

This will make things interesting though, if what I suspect is true about this game set up.]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Seeing the rest of the group staring at him with the same level of annoyance and suspicion, Steven sighed and straightened his lapels. "It seems as if I've garnered all of your suspicions, and for that I can't blame you. I've had to stay pretty quiet thus far for several reasons, one of which our Floatzel friend knows well enough." He glanced over toward Jet with a grim look.
jet-think2.png
Jet tilted her head. "You sayin' I should know what kinda power you got? Cuz I got no clue."

She turned to face the others. "I want the rock guy to say his power first. What's everyone think?"

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Tell me which order in the queue you'd like me to go to best assure you of my innocence
[[If I were in charge of the massclaim order I'd want it to look something like Pano > Free > Chibi/Inke. I trust Free a bit more than Pano, and Inke's already softed so other's claims most likely won't affect her claim even if she's scum (and if her claim is changed we'll be able to tell), and Chibi I trust well enough currently that I'm not super worried about their claim.

Other's input here is obviously welcome.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
View attachment 2794
Jet tilted her head. "You sayin' I should know what kinda power you got? Cuz I got no clue."
Steven gave a thin smile. "No, just the opposite in fact. It means I've done a good enough job staying out of the way until now. At least, I hope... The subsequent claims from everyone will let you all know how much I've hindered our efforts until now, or helped them. I haven't the faintest clue myself."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[I have to head to bed now. If I'm claiming first you'll have to wait until the morning for me, sorry.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[good morning. A bit surprised no one else chimed in overnight but it has been a quiet game so far.

In any case, away we go.

My role is called "Champion's Fiat" (which I didn't even know was a word other than the name of a car manufacturer) and I am the Town Roleblocker.

I have no noted drawbacks from the text of my role PM, though I suspect the drawback is the potential to be negative utility and the role's usual alignment with mafia.

I think I will hang on to my night action log for now, until everyone has claimed. Though you might be able to guess what I've done with it before hand.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
May looked at Steven, skeptical.

“I’m a doctor. I healed Jet first two nights, then Muse, then Jet again.”

[[If you look at the first letters of the paragraphs in my previous post, I already dropped my role yesterday just in case I wound up being last to claim, since doctor is often an easy hard-to-falsify claim for mafia to hide in. May was also distressed in my first post today about choosing the wrong target to protect last night.

The flavor name is Not Me, which is an obscure reference to a Tumblr-only TQftL extra.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Hmm, perhaps I'm being uncharitable," said Steven. "I'll at least say that I have targeted the same person for the entirety of this game. Not so unlike our good doctor, here."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
May frowned. “Why would you do that? The main point of a town blocker is to try to stop kills. If kills were happening even though you’d blocked a person, wouldn’t you pick somebody else, if you’re town?”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
May frowned. “Why would you do that? The main point of a town blocker is to try to stop kills. If kills were happening even though you’d blocked a person, wouldn’t you pick somebody else, if you’re town?”
"You see," Steven began. "There's no guarantee I would ever be able to pick the right person. I could have found one of the Mafia but not the one performing the kill. I've had the... distinct pleasure of playing a disruptive role before, but it was much easier because with that, all I had to do was predict the target. That was much easier. Here I had to predict the shooter. The odds were not in my favor."

"If I kept going around picking new targets, I ran the risk of disrupting other roles, like yourself. Like this, I could be sure of eliminating one variable from the equation, consistently."

"I picked a target hoping to find a passive role, and stayed there when I received no feedback that I was being a detriment. Personally, I'm rather curious what role this person is going to claim. They've been awfully quiet, and seeing only one death per night with the potential of there being a third party killer out there, I felt good staying where I was at, and letting the target-finding protective roles do their job."

"Though," he said darkly, "the same could be said to you about our collective success rate... Was the Floatzel such an optimal target when they stated they were playing to deliberately take suspicion and avoid being shot in the dark?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
“First night I protected her because… I don’t know, we didn’t know anything, and I’ve got a Floatzel, so that was as good a reason as any. And the… the stupid voice kept saying her voice often gets targeted early, or something.”

Why trust the voice? Why not? None of it mattered.

“Even though she says she was playing to not get targeted, I thought the way she was talking on the first day, about her vote not being random without saying why, made it sound like she had information, so I thought she was the person they were most likely to go for. Apparently instead they read too much into me thinking Karo was town and thought I’d picked up something important.”

May paused, a creeping dread crawling up her back. There’d been one person the next day who’d definitely been interested in what she’d picked up about Karo, and it was Jet.

“And then Muse had claimed watcher so I went for her, but they used the strongman shot anyway, so not like it helped. Last night I went Jet again because I figured the Charmander’d go for Rascal if he was telling the truth, and they’d know that, so they’d likely go for somebody else. And people were here openly speculating Jet was a cop, even though she’d said she wanted to draw fire over more important roles. I shut up about that during the day and figured an inexperienced mafia might go for her based on all that, especially now she was taking charge and people believed her.”

But maybe, of course, Jet didn’t get targeted because she was part of the mafia. May’d been thinking back, overnight, about how willing Jet had been to entertain Kichiro’s claim and call for an extension. She’d figured it wasn’t too unreasonable. But then again, maybe she’d been helping them all along. What a joke.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[A lot of that was RP; May has hangups. But it did just occur to me that Chibi actually is someone who might have gone for Karo after I vaguely said I thought he was town (they’ve talked about not being great at picking up power role hints before), and I did reread Chibi last night pondering my choice and vaguely question their interactions with the Kichiro train, though I landed on the side of nah then. Hrmmm.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[hrm.... I suppose chibi ought to role reveal next]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
My role is called "Champion's Fiat" (which I didn't even know was a word other than the name of a car manufacturer) and I am the Town Roleblocker.
Jet sighed exaggeratedly. Of course she should have expected him to tell the truth about his power, even if he was a bad guy.

jet-grump.png
"That makes sense," she grumbled reluctantly. "But it don't mean anything about what side you're on!"

jet-bored1.png
"He's tellin' the truth about always goin' for the same person, and I already know who it is. So neither of you have been killin' people, and you're both prolly not on the same team."

[[This is a problem. Steven and Altair were pretty much the only ones left that I had any sus for, strongly leading toward Steven, what with Altair gunning for Kichiro like he did. However, the two of them likely aren't on the same team, and to make matters worse, neither of them has the kill power. So like... who does?? Burhalla? Archie?? Archie only could have gotten it after Kichiro died because we know he was a mailmain.]]

jet-grump2.png
"My power is havin' a real good nose. I've been following all you guys around and seein' where you go. It ain't really all that useful early on--my Voice said it's only good at the end of the game to catch people lyin'. So I tried to stick around any way I could."

[[Oddly enough, it's not called Odor Sleuth, but rather "Sniffing out Trouble." Anyway, the strategy was simple: try to last long enough to get enough track results to poke holes in fake action logs. The very same trick used by Steven in the Banquet. He was the scummiest person there, but damn if it didn't win the game for town. It's low risk, high reward, and as the weakest inforole, the failstate was just "I get killed instead of a better role." I was really hoping May was cop, though. Please tell me Abra wasn't the cop.]]

[[We're at the point where we can probably just process of elimination the entire scumteam, but if only one of Steven/Altair is scum, then that means there are two others we have to find, and like... I pretty much had some degree of trust for everyone else rip. Well, it's definitely not May or Dawning. Rascal is proven Vig unless the mafia just have a random extra oneshot kill. Burhalla and Archie I guess??? Wtf.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
“Well, then tell us who you tracked when. Don’t have to say where you tracked them to.”

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
“Also, did you have a drawback like Muse did?”

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Although hmm, I guess revealing that you did track a mafia member (if you’re town) would by itself tell them they’d need to be truthful about who they targeted that night so I guess that’d defeat the point. I just. It’d be so easy for Chibi to falsify their results if everyone else claims their actions first.]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
jet-neutral.png
"I tracked Steven Night Zero, Dorien Night 1, Altair Night 3, and Steven again Night 4. No drawbacks cuz it ain't as good as a watch power."

Top Bottom