• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
[[ Had? Past tense? Okay before I get hung up on this like I did with the Mudsdale comment......

I need to look at more of your posts ]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[ Had? Past tense? Okay before I get hung up on this like I did with the Mudsdale comment......

I need to look at more of your posts ]]
[[Probably refers to what Bench was thinking of in that moment, don't think this necessarily implies anything.

The person I originally suspected of being a mailman was in fact Dorien. I hinted at this to see how she'd react and the bizarre overreaction didn't remotely feel like how a glorified Vanilla role would react. I guess everyone who rolled mailman was dead convinced that mailman was the best role ever or something.
I want to counter this by saying that Mailmen are an avenue of communication that Town usually doesn't have, which even when limited, is a massive boon for Town who otherwise have to stick to posting in the thread, so I can understand why someone would think that Mailman is more than just a 'glorified vanilla role'.]]

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
I want to delve into Grand Opening before going to deep into Virgil because I vaguely recall them being kinda similar to this based on my read of that game and I think they were town there. Might be misremebering.

[[ In the Grand Opening I was Town as well, yes.

Have to leave for work now, but in the evening I can write up what my reads are on everyone. ]]

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
[[Wait I'm confused. Why is everyone saying this was a Strongman kill because of flavour? Flavour is just flavour, right? I thought it was always completely detached from actual gameplay.]]

Archie looked at the crater as it slowly filled up. He was impressed by the depth of destruction done to the void--now, if only he could figure out how to cause that much chaos back home... He straightened up and looked at the others.

"The Floatzel's telling at least part of the truth about last night. I sent her a message, commenting on what a fine Water-type Pokemon she is. It couldn't do much other than see if there was swapping or watching happening. It ain't much, but it's honest work. But who is that other Mailman, and what message did they send, I wonder...?"

With the strongman shot presumably wasted, I am in a mind to claim. What I will say, however, is that it won't provide much light on what happened overnight for a couple reasons I won't specify just yet
"And what makes ye so sure of that? And if it's not gonna shed any light, then it's best to just keep quiet and lay low."

<Flashbacks to Namo's role madness intensify>
[[*cue 5 deaths per night*]]

[There's another reason why her reaction convinced me that she had to be mafia, but there's no way to say it without claiming. So let's see who pressures me to do that today, shall we.]
"I've been suspicious of you from the beginning, kid. You're starting to let on more about what you know, but still keeping things to yourself. You began the bandwagon on that other Mailman yesterday. I'll give you some more time, [[funky timezones woo]] but I'm close to laying the pressure on you. What made you so certain of targeting Darren, or whatever his name was?"

a glorified Vanilla role
I guess everyone who rolled mailman was dead convinced that mailman was the best role ever or something.
*sad pirate noises*

I want to counter this by saying that Mailmen are an avenue of communication that Town usually doesn't have, which even when limited, is a massive boon for Town who otherwise have to stick to posting in the thread, so I can understand why someone would think that Mailman is more than just a 'glorified vanilla role'.
[[THANK YOU, this is the logic Sind and I were both following all along ;_;]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
J:they/them HY:she
[[Howdy, all. Slept well, looking forward to getting stuck in shortly when I'm free. Just wanna respond to one small thing real quick.]]
[[THANK YOU, this is the logic Sind and I were both following all along ;_;]]
[[Over-valuing the Mailman role honestly came off to me like you might be scum. Sure, it allows private communication... in 250 characters, and can be redirected, and you aren't a cop so you don't know who's town and who's mafia when you send. And you didn't even use it to communicate anything. I'd still be suspicious of you for this except Sind was the same and flipped Town so I guess we just have totally different instincts on this or something? I don't know... Can someone explain to me why sending confusing messages that say nothing useful is a 'massive boon' for Town?]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[The person I originally suspected of being a mailman was in fact Dorien. I hinted at this to see how she'd react and the bizarre overreaction didn't remotely feel like how a glorified Vanilla role would react. I guess everyone who rolled mailman was dead convinced that mailman was the best role ever or something.
[[Huh. Ngl I didn't pick up on any hints from you that were more insightful than, "I think I know who it is," which doesn't really mean much. Then again I'm not a mailman so I'm not on the lookout for someone dropping hints like that. And I also know from past games that things I consider hints are not the same things that Chibi does lol. Consider me curious...

Also not sure why it's a crime to think your role will be helpful? There's enough other reasons about the way Sind handled the situation yesterday of why it was suspicious (why not attempt to offer suggestions about the set up, and why let us run down the wrong path with her messages as coming from Karo? She could have tried to steer it better without hard claiming.)

And I was just as wrong about her as you. No sus beyond what I already have (which is always everyone when I play Mafia), but at some point someone is going to have to be able to pick up on your hints, so going "well I just know" isn't going to be enough.]]

"I got a buncha mail last night, an' it was all addressed to me. So I know it didn't get swapped around. One was from Archie, obviously. The other one... they told me a thing that they did yesterday which kinda narrows down who they are. At least a little bit."
"Wait," said Steven. "You received two messages? Then that means Karo wasn't a mailman, like we thought he might be."

He brought a hand to his chin in thought. "I mean it was probably the case when that Kalosian claimed to have sent those spammy messages. But that means Karo was something else entirely and we still have two mailman sending messages."

Turning to the Floatzel again, his tone wasn't accusatory, but held an edge of frustration. "Did you know about this too, somehow?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Okay I was busy yesterday evening with preparations for a project, but I was doing my best to follow everything

Gotta say, the longer time goes on the less I trust Chibi. The easiest way I can explain my reasoning is the vibe that Chibi feels cagey sort of in the way they did in role madness, when they were a killer, basically. They feel like they have a hidden agenda instead of just looking to help town. Despite that NeoLurosa championed Sind's bandwagon (which seemed like they were fairly not guilty near the end) I also don't feel like that feels scum motivated? Just town doubling down.

I feel uncertain about Pano still, not enough to say a sus but not good enough to say pro town either.

Right now my biggest side-eye stays with Chibi.

Starlight seems genuine, and we know they're almost certainly mailman. The question is what purpose would mafia have for such a role, except confusion? But is that enough to gurantee town?

I have thoughts on something else however... Chibi says they got two pieces of mail. So I wonder - why send Chibi mail? What are the odds of both mailmen choosing chibi as a target, who isn't even on a 'definitely town vibes' list? I am now wondering if there might be small mods to mailman role that give them power? I'm trying to figure out why chibi...

AND WHY SO MANY MAILMAN LOL]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Wait," said Steven. "You received two messages? Then that means Karo wasn't a mailman, like we thought he might be."

He brought a hand to his chin in thought. "I mean it was probably the case when that Kalosian claimed to have sent those spammy messages. But that means Karo was something else entirely and we still have two mailman sending messages."
[[Also yes, I have been saying this (this is not directed at you btw, just broadly). I don't know where everyone got off acting like Karo was so likely to be a mailman...

Anyways to recap...

Sind: Mailman, nonsense one
Starlight: Pirate mailman
X: Mystery Mailman/Item mailman(?)

[[I had to contribute something, and my power was the only thing I had.]]
interesting. Noted....

My two biggest concerns today are chibi & bench.

Beyond that, I feel like maybe either Virgil or Inke could be sus? Could. I want to try to review their posts today.]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Turning to the Floatzel again, his tone wasn't accusatory, but held an edge of frustration. "Did you know about this too, somehow?"
jet-grump2.png
"Nah, I thought the Nosepass sending spam mail sounded like a pretty good idea."

I have thoughts on something else however... Chibi says they got two pieces of mail. So I wonder - why send Chibi mail? What are the odds of both mailmen choosing chibi as a target, who isn't even on a 'definitely town vibes' list? I am now wondering if there might be small mods to mailman role that give them power? I'm trying to figure out why chibi...
jet-bored1.png
"Archie already said that he sent it to me cuz I'm a water-type. And the fruit-seller had somethin' they wanted to tell me 'bout themself."

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
So stop saying don't lynch mailman because they can prove they aren't killing. They can't mechanically prove not scum.
[[I'm gonna try to swallow my intense frustration about last EOD and the way you treated me to point out that this is an uncharitable interpretation of anything I actually said. The fact is, with watcher/tracker in the pool and messages coming through, we know that any scum mailman is mailing instead of killing, and we can hunt for more valuable roles in the meantime. If they ever stop mailing, they become suspicious. If the mail is sent from someone else, they look suspicious. And in the meantime we get a chance at eliminating a rolecop or someone actually dangerous. I know what the damn win condition is, okay? Please just give me some credit, I have won Mafia before as Town, you know.]]

[[Anyway.]]

lurosaquestion.png "Good morning, everyone. I see we've lost our Watcher-with-drawback, unfortunately. It wouldn't surprise me if the drawback was that they specifically watched for redirected mail, given the theme, so it's hard to know how big a loss this is to our power parity. All the same, a shame. If we have a living doctor, I don't blame them – the force of the attack looks like a 'strongman' shot, after all."

Lurosa dipped her head and flattened her ears.

"I apologise for the poor composure of myself and my Voice last night. It was a difficult experience, not that behaving differently would have lead to a different outcome, I suppose. To get things moving as soon as possible, might I suggest we choose a new person to place a wagon on? Earlier this time, so that we aren't pressed for time as we were yesterday?"

The espeon eyed the other players coolly.

"I shall be unsurprised if we come to learn that one of the near-silent players, like Burhalla or Antares, is a member of the enemy. Speak up, gentlemen."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[I'm trying to figure out what to say, but I'm well and truly stumped. I don't understand what's happening anymore. Three mailman is absurd.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[I'm down to wagon chibi, I don't trust them, and I trust them even less than bench (sorry bench)]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[I'm going to review Chibi-posts and see if I can organize my thoughts and see where I stand, and/or examine the quieter players more]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
lurosaquestion.png "I do not wish to start a wagon on Jet. I have at least one private reason, albeit a small one, to believe that she and her Voice are aligned with Town. Additionally, Jet's play has been compared to that of Ajia in 'Role Overdrive', but I actually think it's far more similar to that of Ebony, in 'Vanilla Mafia', and her Voice was Town at the time. I would much rather start a wagon on May, Kichiro, or Steven, as participants who could plausibly be active and 'stealthed' Mafiosos. I feel a little odd about eliminating silent players after seeing it go wrong several times..."

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
Three mailman is absurd.

[[Negrek experimented with a low-power Role Madness setup in 2nd Anni, and I think this is another attempt. 2nd Anni had highly conditional, limited or delayed-unlock powers. I believe the gimmick this game is that we have three mailmen, at least two of whom are Town, as a means of giving everyone a role and allowing us to identify swaps early. What's weird is that two mailmen immediately decided their 250 character, totally unsecured, essentially unhelpful messages were worth becoming super secretive instead of trying to powertown. I think that's down to individual player psychology, though.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[This doesn't feel like a hang-up like the mudsdale comment to me-- I definitely think it's implying he used whatever his power is.

In which case I think its probably safe for him to claim, all things considered. If he's town Mafia are gonna know its used as well anyway based on this and not be worried about it, and with flavour hinting at strongman also being used last night, I think hearing Bench's claim and being able to judge its likelihood of realness will be important to reading him.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[The person I originally suspected of being a mailman was in fact Dorien. I hinted at this to see how she'd react and the bizarre overreaction didn't remotely feel like how a glorified Vanilla role would react. I guess everyone who rolled mailman was dead convinced that mailman was the best role ever or something.

[[There's another reason why her reaction convinced me that she had to be mafia, but there's no way to say it without claiming. So let's see who pressures me to do that today, shall we.]]
[[Can you quote where you hinted at your suspicions of Dorien specifically being a mailman? I don't think I picked up on that at all.]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[I...think you're misreading my message. The situation itself was in the past, so I used past tense.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[I'm gonna try to swallow my intense frustration about last EOD and the way you treated me to point out that this is an uncharitable interpretation of anything I actually said. The fact is, with watcher/tracker in the pool and messages coming through, we know that any scum mailman is mailing instead of killing, and we can hunt for more valuable roles in the meantime. If they ever stop mailing, they become suspicious. If the mail is sent from someone else, they look suspicious. And in the meantime we get a chance at eliminating a rolecop or someone actually dangerous. I know what the damn win condition is, okay? Please just give me some credit, I have won Mafia before as Town, you know.]]
[[You didn't draw attention to the watcher/tracker being able to prove it... but fair enough, you were probably right there. Mailmen is a provable role, and in Negrek's games you lose your preexisting role to get the kill so focusing on finding other Mafia probably would've been effective, so long as we had other leads, and it did look like you seem feel you did, so I was probably wrong there.]]

[[I...think you're misreading my message. The situation itself was in the past, so I used past tense.]]
[[Noted. Please ignore my suggestion you claim as of current, though that could change.]]

Top Bottom