• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

The White Elephant in the Room Playground

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
What if Palkia could oblige? Hmm. Jesse had no telepathy here, and his wands had seemed to change into chalk before his eyes on a previous day, but he had some powers here. Perhaps he could use them to warm the cabin while the zangoose sonofabitch worked. Sorry bastard oughtn't to be freezing like that anyway.

He snapped his fingers, just to see if he could summon a pilot flame.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
What if Palkia could oblige? Hmm. Jesse had no telepathy here, and his wands had seemed to change into chalk before his eyes on a previous day, but he had some powers here. Perhaps he could use them to warm the cabin while the zangoose sonofabitch worked. Sorry bastard oughtn't to be freezing like that anyway.

He snapped his fingers, just to see if he could summon a pilot flame.
The flame came just as naturally as it would have had he done it at home.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Gen watched as Jesse summoned a flame, eyes widening. Pokemon powers still worked here? Would maybe his Reunion Cape work, then, too?

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse had no idea what Times New Roman was, and didn't bother asking.

Instead, he drew what he hoped he would find to be a functioning spellstick wand, with which to summon an orb of flame that would warm the goddamn room up for Zeke and everyone else who stuck around there.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Jesse had no idea what Times New Roman was, and didn't bother asking.

Instead, he drew what he hoped he would find to be a functioning spellstick wand, with which to summon an orb of flame that would warm the goddamn room up for Zeke and everyone else who stuck around there.
The wand conjured out of thin air, bringing the fire with it. Within mere seconds, flames erupted all throughout the shack. Zeke paused his writing for a moment to stare at the flames, Jesse, and the flames once more. “I guess I will make do with the one binder, then. Glad I brought my Christmas present out with me.”
Abigail looked at Rally. "So... Are we going to fit me with skis or should I be leaving?"
Rally smiled with a gleam of the sun, these words the light that ended an eternal night. “Oh, it ain’t about gettin’ fitted, baby. The skis are you.” He pressed a finger to her heart. “The skis are your soul.”

He lifted her effortlessly and carried her to the aisle with all the skis. “Now, don’t rush it. Sit here’n listen to ‘em. Let ‘em sing their song, and let your soul listen.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Well, fuck."

Jesse holstered his wand, which was clearly defective as a magical focus, and used his paws as a focus to snuff the excess flames.

"Pardon me, partner," he said, voice bitterly tired. "This universe is just sure determined not to treat me right."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse's eye twitched. Could nothing be goddamn normal around here.

"Sounds about right, pal. Call it water under the bridge. Good luck with yer calculations or whatever it is."

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
“Calculations, right,” Zeke said. He went back to writing, now on roundabout his twenty-sixth page. “Well, the good news is, with space collapsing out of time, we should be past the worst of it. Well,” he chuckled. “As long as we all have souls. Things’d get a little murder-y if we didn’t.” Finishing off the second side of the twenty-seventh sheet, he went on to the twenty-eighth.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Zeke went pale. “Um,”Elbert cleared his throat. “Well, you certainly had them at the start, and just because we can’t sense them doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Do, or, did any of you happen to know where you last put them?”

Zeke held his head in his hands. “I’m stuck in a prison made by the dumbest people in the multi-verse.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Yeah, partner. You get it now, don'tcha. I've been dealin' with that realisation fer about a fuckin' week now."

Jesse clenched his paws into fists. "I don't fuckin' know how you think our worlds work, but where I come from, souls are so poorly understood we ain't even got a means of detectin' em. You really think we'd all have just put 'em down somewhere? Fuckin' moron."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse scowled up a storm.

"Can one of you two explain to me what you even mean when you say 'soul'? After that 'murder is impossible 'cause it's illegal' fiasco, I have faith in almost fuckin' nothin' I might previously assume about communication here."

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
“Well—“

“You are not qualified,” Zeke interrupted. “Great, we have to get religious,” he grumbled, setting down his pen. “Broadly speaking, souls happen when life does. When life happens, it’s designed or naturally does or whatever to keep happening. Cooperation tends to make more life, thus souls start to cooperate. They all want to keep existing, so they do what they can to not die. Basically, you are your soul. Whatever events made you happen made your soul happen.”

He cleared his throat, made eye contact with Jesse, glanced at the child with them, and looked back at Jesse. “I hope I don’t need to explain their conception any further. The easiest way to tell if you have a soul is to examine its base features: Desire to live, and unwillingness to kill. If you want to live and don’t want anyone else to die, you probably have a soul. But, if you have reasons to kill, like you want to keep living, it’s more up in the air.”

He started to look bored and spun his pen around on his claws. “So long as everyone here wants to stay alive, and nobody’s tried to kill anyone, we all have souls, and Mr. President’s sensors are terrible.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse nodded.

"Okay. I follow, and I'll take you at yer word.

"As you may or may not have picked up by now, folks in our group have been goin' missin', presumed murdered. Those among us who ain't keen on dyin' have been tryin' to catch out the culprits and remove 'em, to preserve as many lives as possible. My pal Lee, the lycanroc, has the power to briefly and occasionally speak with those us who've gone missin', which implies either that they're alive, or have souls, I guess. That everythin' ya need t'know?"

Top Bottom