• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Chapter 24- Discipline Part 1: Lavender New

Kiba Makuro

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Originally Posted February 29th, 2024 (Leap Day!)
Updated March 4th, 2024
Ported October 15th, 2024

Chapter Summary
Team Sharp Claw has a soft morning, trying to move forward. But what if a real reason to move forward sets foot at their door? How will they handle the situation, and their new feelings?

Linus Treecko's POV​

In the dim light of the Leagues bedroom hallway, Chief McBone stood before us, a warm look across her muzzle.

I wiped the sleep from my eyes as Nevada and Glade shuffled up beside me. “You'd like ta see us?” I asked, my voice low.

The Stoutland took a few steps back before she nodded. “Yes Linus, I just remembered something fun and exciting we could do for breakfast.”

“Fun and exciting?” Glade murmured.

“Cooking something new could make you feel better.”

“It won't hurt,” Nevada said with a tired laugh.

We needed this. This was my, no, our first morning without Jin after that so-called Knight from the Committee took him away.

I don't know what the pains of first love were until recently. Especially once that love was lost. And Jin loved me too. Or at the least, liked me.

But we were too cautious. And didn't train him. I won't make that mistake again, watching him slip away.

Nevada, Glade, and I followed Chief McBone down to the first floor of the League and all the way into the kitchen.

The Stoutland raised a paw and gestured at the countertops before she spoke. “I know this is unconventional, but I want to try a recipe I learned from someone.”

“Noodles?” I asked, and peered further at the low countertop.

Mushrooms, leek stalks, eggs, and tofu had been spread out into various bowls, while an enormous pot filled with water sat on the stove. By the stovetop sat row after row of long thin strands of whitish-yellow dough.

“Yes,” Chief McBone explained. “We are having shoyu ramen this morning.”

“Shoe you?” I asked, my brow quirked.

“Raw men?” Nevada blinked.

“Shoyu ramen,” the Stoutland repeated slowly. “The first word means that it's based on soy broth, and the second refers to these thinly cut noodles.”

I nodded. “Sounds nice.” I've never heard of anythin’ like this.

Glade tilted her head. “Is this even a breakfast food?”

Chief McBone chuckled a little. “Well, it could be anything technically.”

Nevada sharpened their claws, then picked up one of the ingredients. “So what are we doing?”

“Cutting the mushrooms, leeks, tofu, berries and cooking the eggs. I prepared the noodles for the ramen over the past few days along with the broth.”

“What broth?” I asked as I stared into the pot of seemingly clear water.

“It's a berry, soy and vegetable broth, we are going to add it to the water and all the other ingredients.”

We separated each group of food and got to work.

The Charmander and Totodile gazed into the pot.

“It has all those ingredients, yet is still light colored?” Glade asked.

Nevada nodded. “Cooking sure is complicated.”

Chief McBone chuckled, “I thought the same when I learned this recipe.”

Oh, interesting! “Who taught you?” I asked.

“It doesn't sound Bristbergian. Or from all the way in Twin Star,” the Totodile added.

The Charmander's tail flame flickered in what I assumed was thought. “Coordinator Cooper is from the Twin Star Continent right?”

“Well yes,” the Stoutland watched over the warming pot of broth. “I didn’t learn it from him though. I learned this recipe from Kuroshi.”

Kuroshi? Wait! I gasped and nearly dropped the mushrooms. “Kuroshi… I recognize that name, he was-”

“A-” Chief McBone struggled to find her words as she met my gaze. “A former member of Team Vanguard. Kuroshi was a strange rocky but devoted Arcanine.” She glanced over at Glade and Nevada with a sigh.

“A rocky Arcanine?” I asked. “Kinda how like Jin's a ghostly Zorua?”

“Yes, I believe they could have been familiar with one another, but that's talk for another time.”

He must have been Hisuian too? She knows more but we're not ready. Well I'm not ready. My tails drooped as I finished slicing some of the leeks. “I guess.”

“I want you three to try and keep your heads up,” the Stoutland said then placed a paw on the table. “I know it’s been difficult.”

I took in a deep breath as she continued.

“Not having someone you thought was a future teammate anymore is something that this League is familiar with. But I believe things are different this time.”

“I hope yur right,” I said as I picked back up the mushrooms.

Chief McBone added some Rawst and Pecha Berry chunks into the broth. “I hope I am too, now let's continue.”

Nevada boiled a few of the flying-type eggs, while Glade and I cut up the other ingredients.

There were some more bunches of berries we chopped up, and some water-type and normal-type eggs that we prepared.

I scrambled a few eggs while the Totodile beside me diced the last of the fruit, tofu, mushrooms, and leeks.

As I finished the tofu, the Stoutland slowly dropped the noodles into the broth.

With all the ingredients stirring deep inside the pot, the broth slowly changed hues from light yellow to a darker cream as the mushrooms, eggs, tofu, and leeks blended in their nutrients and flavor. The heat of the stovetop boiled the ramen, it solidified and absorbed the new ingredients into its composition. And now it took a stable form. I loved watching things cook up like this. Made ma feel like I was at home.

Chief McBone dashed a bit of pepper, salt, and some seasoned salt made from Cheri, and Lum Berries. She gestured to the pot and I poured her a small serving.

It's still piping hot though?

A chill ran through the room as the Stoutland made her fangs frozen with ice and took a couple of laps from the bowl.

Using Ice Fang like that? Genius.

With a satisfied nod Chief McBone got back down on the floor. “Breakfast is ready!” she called. The Stoutland turned to me and the team. “Now let's set up the table.”

“Got it.” I reached down to the other cabinet and pulled out a large collection of bowls.

Glade pulled out the cart, while Nevada poured in a starting portion of the food. We wheeled it down to the ‘U’ table and set out the first couple when everyone made their way down stairs.

Coordinator Cooper, Diamond, Chad, Rio, River, Slowbro, Mienfoo, Anabel, and Bernard all filled in the seats of the ‘U’. “We are having shoyu ramen for breakfast today!” Chief McBone explained. I, Glade, and Nevada stood by the cart while everyone else ate for about thirty minutes. Then we settled down and had some of the shoyu ramen for ourselves.

Breakfast was simple and quiet. Perhaps out of respect, or maybe reverence? Everyone got what they wanted and left with little to no fanfare.

We excused ourselves back to our room and got ready for the day. Once we had our scarves and badges we came back downstairs. Then we cleaned up the kitchen.

As Glade, Nevada and I put away the dishes and leftover shoyu ramen the doorbell rang. The chime echoed through the entirety of the League.

My blood froze in my heart.

It can’t be!?

The words, in a whisper, barely left my mouth as I stood stark still.“C-chief McBone?”

The Stoutland cleared her throat as her eyes narrowed. “Rio and River!” she almost yelled. “Bring Diamond and Chad too!”

Wait no Morág, Devontay or the others? Ah wait, Team Whitelight left while we're cleaning yesterday.

Coordinator Cooper shuffled out of the living room. I stumbled away from the Granbull and his piercing black eyes.

He softened his expression and spoke. “Team Sharp Claw please wait a moment while we figure out who it is.”

“Understood,” we replied.

“Don't follow us to the front door yet.” Chief McBone took a couple of steps away. She perked her ears up, as to hear any potential sound the outsider made, even from all the way out here.

Coordinator Cooper lowered his gaze towards Glade’s, Nevada's, and my level. “We'll let Anabel, and Bernard vet them as usual in the watchtowers.”

Why does he think I don't know that? Anger spiked through my throat. “I said I got it,” I growled.

“Linus,” the Stoutland spoke softly. “Please remember to behave appropriately.”

I clenched my fists and stared at the wall.

I can't. I don't know what I'll do if he's there. And what to do about whoever is there with him.I'm not strong enough.

A warm claw touched my shoulder and I flinched. My watering, trembling eyes met with Nevada's. That’s right, the eyes of someone whose siblings were put in a tough bind by Wicked Blow and forced to be twisted. Those bright blue beacons of hope belonged to someone who needed me. And I needed them.

The Charmander nodded.

“I'm here too Linus.” Glade gently patted my back.

The Totodile's red eyes gleamed. Someone else with family, ruined entirely by Wicked Blow.

“Thanks guys.”

She lifted her claw as the Herdiers, Wartortle, and Pikachu hurried down the stairs.

The four Pokémon walked over to the front door and talked in hushed whispers. Rio and River walked back in and sighed.

“River and I, as former members of Team Vanguard, now Paradise Ranchers still need to remain on the low,” Rio explained.

River followed right beside her. “It's the Committee and they don't need to know about us being here at the League.”

Chief McBone returned, and her ears lowered as she caught my eye. “Nevada, Glade, Linus, it seems you all are required.”

“Understood.”

The path to the sealed front door felt massive. Every step felt like an eternity had passed.

Anxiety crept through my body as the silence rolled through the air. Our only answer, to who was out there, was locked firm beyond our defenses. But one press of a triangular League badge, and it was free.

With a rolling thud the door opened. Like before the chilling burst of air briefly assaulted my senses, but I didn't look away.

The Pokémon before us, wasn't Head Tiger, not the so-called Head Knight, and they weren't Jin.

An oddly purple-grey Sneasel, with dark purple curved claws and golden gems, one riddled with tiny scars and bandages all across their body stood before us. They trembled and took in a deep breath once they noticed me.

Where is Jin?

The air felt tense as I, Glade, Nevada, and everyone else glanced over them, along the shade of the awning.

Wait, that's not just any odd Sneasel, that's Jin's friend from Hisui! I remembered he said her name was Toko.

Where is he?

Before I even had a chance to speak, the air beside the purple Sneasel morphed into a lilac colored visage. It grew and grew until a Pokémon was finally visible, a Mismagius.

But something was off. Along their spectral body, Mismagius sported an array of dark grey splotches, just like Tiger and Knight before them. A black, purple, and red cape, draped along their shoulders, just like them too. “I am Lady Spellbound, a Head of the Committee,” her haunting voice crept out. “And the one beside me is Toko.”

“Where’s Jin!?” I asked, my voice shaky and raw.

Spellbound laughed a low and drawn out laugh as she narrowed her eyes. “He's unnecessary, just like this one here.” She pushed, no, she shoved, Toko forward with one of her tendrils.

The Sneasel nearly crashed onto the ground but I shot forward and held her upright. My vision grew red as I locked eyes with the Mismagius, grass-type mana pooling into my stomach. “What did you say?”

“Linus!” Glade and Nevada held onto me.

With another chortle, Spellbound pointed at Toko. “Why don't you tell them Toko?”

I let go of the Sneasel and Toko staggered upright, a weak smile forming on her muzzle. “This… I believe in Jin,” her surprisingly firm and peppy voice called.

“What?” I questioned, my eyes widened.

The Sneasel held a claw over her scarred shoulder and took in a deep breath. “Jin is performing in an examination,” she explained with strained vigor. “This is because he interacted and learned a surplus of information from you Pokemon.”

Her ear feather twitched as the Mismagius behind her laughed once again. I glared daggers at Spellbound but didn't speak as a paw, one from Chief McBone gently held me.

“Excuse me. I do not see what's so funny, Lady Spellbound,” The Stoutland spoke carefully. That Legend Roche elocution, at work I see.

The Mismagius pulled on her black, purple, and red cape, and folded her arms behind her back. “Jin and Toko are useless to our Eternal Vision. They can't assist in controlling the most sacred artifacts of all.”

Most sacred? I took in a shuddered breath. Which mana artifacts is she talking about? Is it about them being turned into Ether Gems? They know which Pokemon can’t after their tests?

Coordinator Cooper stepped in front of me and Toko. “And?”

“That is all I have for you. Keep up with the work assigned to your League, nothing more, nothing less.”

I held onto my arms and stared at the ground below the Mismagius, my head clouded in rage. We can't make our move yet, not yet !

“Of course Lady Spellbound,” the Granbull responded, his words calm and collected. “We will not falter.”

“I’m glad you know your place. Farewell, League.” Spellbound drifted further and further away, her physical form vanished more with every moment.

Then she was finally gone.

Coordinator Cooper cleared his throat as we all stood amidst the growing snow flurries and chilly air. “Let's go inside.”

Chief McBone took her paws of my body and stared at the gates of the League beyond the cobblestone courtyard and watch towers. Her gaze remained set on the path Spellbound took before she turned.

Glade, Nevada, and I headed back in the League, with Toko right behind us.

The Stoutland and Granbull moved from their positions and sealed back the League front door, all the while I held on to my shaking hands. My neck felt awfully cold, so I pulled my scarf off over my head and tied it above my shoulders.

“Let's go to the office.” Chief McBone ordered, her tail low.

Toko suddenly stood still and didn't move a muscle.

I let go of my hands and wordlessly gazed at her.

The Sneasel’s rich dark lavender tail feathers, and ears curled down toward her body, her limbs drawn close to her chest and midsection.“Praytell, am I in trouble?”

Coordinator Cooper held his paw out to Toko and knelt by her side. “No, we are going to the office for quite the opposite.”

“A reward?”

“Yes darling,” the Stoutland ahead answered in a gentle tone. “You'll be given an opportunity you'd never imagine.”

We made our way up the stairs, all the way to the third floor and to the office. Coordinator Cooper opened the door for us, and I finally entered the room where it all began.

The two desks filled with stacks of papers and folders all sat in the center of the room. While chairs, and stools of varying sizes lined the walls, by the calendars, corkboard, and whiteboards.

“You can have a seat anywhere you'd like or just stand,” Chief McBone said as she looked through the drawers of her low rise desk.

Toko plopped down on the floor and stretched her legs before she sat down in a crossed leg position.

I grabbed one of the stools and slid it right beside the Sneasel while everyone else settled in a chair or stool around us.

The Stoutland at the desk pulled out our League's three-toned bandana and a small bronze badge in her maw before she dropped them on her desk. “Welcome to the Bristberg Mana Research League.”

“Thank you for having me.” The Sneasel prostrated herself. “What tasks shall I, this honorable servant of the almighty Sinnoh perform?”

The what? That ain’t Mew, Arceus or the others! Nevada sparked their tail flame once I glanced their way while Glade didn't flinch one bit.

“You won't have to perform any tests, at least not right now,” Chief McBone chuckled.

Toko's eyes widened. “I will not? This servant begs your pardon?”

Coordinator Cooper held out a piece of paper. “Normally you'd have to do the entrance exam, but understanding your circumstances we shall take you in regardless.”

I squinted my eyes at the page, it was our team registration file. With two new names below Glade's, Nevada's, and mine.

Toko leaned back and stared at me and the team. “I am joining these three?”

“Yes, you can join their Rescue Team, it's called Team Sharp Claw,” the Stoutland replied, her tail slowly swishing side to side.

It's now or never.

I stood up and held my silver rank badge toward the Sneasel.

“What is this?”

“A promise,” Glade, Nevada and I said together.

“The one I couldn't keep to Jin.” I clenched my badge tighter.

The Charmander and Totodile also held their badges up. “We promise to protect you and teach you all about this world. It's the least we could do.”

“What shall I give in return?” Toko staggered upright.

“Please work with us to end the Disruption, by any means necessary.”

“Understood.” The Sneasel fastened the scarf around her right bicep, and put the bronze badge on it. “I Toko, servant of the Almighty Sinnoh, shall join Team Sharp Claw!”

Even though we just got another teammate, my heart felt empty.

Toko was too much like him. The oddly purple-Sneasel was once a ward of the Committee, spoke in a formal manner, and didn't know much about the land. She knew the majority of our species because Jin told her, but not ones like Diamond, a Wartortle or the Herdier twins.

But Toko was also different. This Sneasel was a Sentinel, not a Keeper. But still, I felt an odd connection to her. Almost like the one I had when I first saw Glade and Nevada five years ago. But that was before we learned the three of us were something special. Fangs of the Fallen. Was there room for a fourth so soon? Or maybe Toko's unique poison-fighting elemental typing was just alluring. She was a Sneasel after all, not a Croagunk.

Back before the Disruption truly started. I wanted to forget about why I was here. Why I was here at the League.

Six years ago, I couldn't handle loss and went to the Black Clover Mercenaries. When I left, no, ran away from home after Scabbard and Maxwell were taken from my family by Wicked Blow.

And a year later, when I finally joined the League something happened to Hatchet and Kobi, involving our Artibax and Scovillian cousins.

But this stuff with the Committee was something more sinister. I don't understand how Toko was fine after all she's been through! I wanted Jin instead.

Toko prattled on and on about the Almighty Sinnoh, a Pokémon from Hisui. She came to the League beaten and bruised, which was a bigger priority.

Chief McBone took the Sneasel to the medbay to see the extent of her injuries and help patch her up. Unlike last time both CJ and Astesia weren't there, still out on reconnaissance.

Glade, Nevada, and I waited outside as they checked things over. The damn Committee just openly flaunted that they abused their so-called ‘wards’ so brazenly. Even if Toko was a fighter she would have normally healed.

I shuddered at the idea of whatever torture Jin went through.

The door slowly creaked open and a familiar Granbull poked his head out. “You can come in now.”

“We cleared her to go out on Mystery Dungeons and train.” Chief McBone pushed away some medical files.

Coordinator Cooper opened the door of the medbay for him and the Stoutland before he turned to me. “Make sure you clean up before you all leave.”

“Understood,” I replied with a curt nod. And then the two of them left us alone.

“Let us head out as soon as possible!” the Sneasel said in between bites of Oran and Sitrus Berries.

“Why?” Glade and Nevada asked.

Toko flexed her arms as she took out the fruit slices. “This servant wishes to climb the tallest mountains behind the League!”

“What?!” I gasped.

“You told me to help end the Disruption, which means getting stronger as quickly as possible!”

“But Toko those are beyond expert level climbs, and you just got here,” the Charmander sighed.

“That shall not stop me!”

“Why can't ya understand that we can't go?” I groaned.

“We? I was isolated from the outside world, I desire to explore everything I can and test my limits!”

Nevada rubbed the back of their head.“We could start small instead? Like training in the practice field?”

“Shall I be able to reach my goals there?”

The Totodile across from the two rolled her shoulders. “Toko, you're bandaged up and this energetic?”

“Yes?”

“As much as I want to, I can't keep up.”

“You three are unwilling?”

“Yeah Toko, we can't just go wherever we want, we are assigned suitable missions from Coordinator Cooper and Chief McBone.”

The Sneasel glanced at us and her ear feather drooped. “This servant understands, I shall relax and continue eating.”

Oh I got an idea! I hopped out of my stool and opened the medbay door. “Why don't we go to the kitchen? We still got some breakfast, ya can have some real food.”

“Real food? That sounds splendid!”

We took Toko to the ‘U’ and pulled out a fresh bowl for her.

“Ah shoyu ramen.” Toko grinned at the display. “Now this is something I have not had in a while.”

“We helped Chief McBone make it,” Glade chuckled.

The purple-Sneasel sat down and sniffed at the broth of ramen before she slightly recoiled.

“Thank you for the meal,” she said before she went through the ingredients. In the end she pulled out all the pieces of water, flying, and normal-type eggs.

The Totodile beside me took in a breath and looked away while I rubbed my temples. “Ya don't like eggs, Toko?” I asked as I sat down.

Toko bit off a large strand of noodles and swallowed it. “This is what I used to do in Hisui, as a tenant of faith towards the almighty Sinnoh. Take none from life if I could avoid it.”

“Well, these eggs were never alive.” The Charmander beside her gestured with their claws.

“I shall not falter even at this moment.”

“It's food! That doesn't even make any sense!” Glade slammed her claws on the table.

“And what's with this almighty Sinnoh you keep talking about?” Nevada grumbled.

Toko folded her ears as the Charmander and Totodile stared her down. “Am I offensive with my display of faith? I already had to hide it from the Committee and I thought I would be free to practice my discipline.”

Can't believe ya'd worship anyone other than Mew, Arceus or Xerneas but whatever. I shook my head. “I got it, let's make sure we ain't puttin’ any eggs in your food, and ya get extra berries and the like to compensate.”

“Thank you. That will be adequate.”

As the Sneasel finished her breakfast, Coordinator Cooper approached us.

“Good morning Team Sharp Claw,” the Granbull called.

I slowly turned to him and tilted my head.

He had an odd black band, or rather a collar or headband of some sorts, one with a silver plate attached to it. “I think it's time to try out the testing swords again.”

“The black swords?” Nevada's jaw dropped.

Glade jumped out of her seat. “The thing that proves it to everyone else that we're special, that we're Fangs of the Fallen!”

“Ah yeah!” I cheered. “Let's go!”

“What shall I do?” Toko asked as she also got up.

Coordinator Cooper glanced over the purple Sneasel and nodded. “As a Sentinel it wouldn't hurt if you tried as well, we and our allies in black always need more data.”

“Understood!”

Chapter 24- Discipline Part 2: Limestone New

Kiba Makuro

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Originally Posted March 14th, 2024

Chapter Summary
Linus is struggling to understand Team Sharp Claw's new position and new addition. With new information and a chance to show off their skills how will Team Sharp Claw press onward?

Still Linus Treecko's POV

We headed through the halls, down to the living room. Snow filled the view of the land beyond our sliding glass doors. Ivory piles and mounds littered the ground and flakes and flurries clouded the sky in a temperate icy seascape, pockets of the morning blue far in between.

It was chilly as usual in this early Winter outside. The tempered air only slightly warmed past the patio and all the way to the practice field.

There sat a large brown, red, and yellow object, kinda like an elongated Substitute Doll, and the fabled black sword. I walked closer toward the Substitute and saw a small twine or thick string of some kind connected to it and it led to an odd grey and black box.

The box had a few buttons and knobs on both the face and the head of it, while the face had something like the screen of a Connection Orb or something.

More importantly the black testing sword sat in the crate Morág had previously brought to us, and a long string was embedded in the handle of the blade, all the way to the machine.

“What's all this?” I asked and stepped back as Glade and Nevada peered at the new equipment.

“It's a mana monitoring device. In theory, I made it for Tiger, but it's really for our allies. That Incineroar will get false data,” Coordinator Cooper explained and attached the black and silver band to the doll.

“False data?” I asked.

The Granbull laughed as he stepped away.“That damn Committee can order me to make them something, but who said I had given them all the information they wanted?”

“Yeah!” Nevada waved a claw.

Glade pumped her fist before she sliced through the air. “Let's freaking get 'em back!”

I grit my teeth.“They wanna push us around?”

“Kill and take away our Leaguemates?” The Totodile growled.

The Charmander shot out an ember. “And get off scot free!?”

“Well think again!” the Totodile and Charmander yelled in unison.

Coordinator Cooper sighed as he brushed his fur. “Please pick up the sword, swing it, and then swing it at this modified Substitute.”

I took a deep breath and reached for the blade handle with both hands. The black sword was still heavy but as I adjusted my weight I got it steady into the air, and primed for battle. With a grunt I tensed my arms and swung the blade in a diagonal arc toward the stalks and field of grass below. Some of the blades of grass flew off into the sky and I swung again.

A small white light slowly pulsed and then remained lit from where my hands gripped on the handle. The curved arrow shape deep into the handle was bright, unlike last time.

My eyes narrowed as I locked onto the Substitute. The black sword was still a bit difficult to maneuver but I spread my legs as I pulled the blade's edge behind me. How could I swing it the hardest? My hands, arms, and shoulders trembled with every moment.

What if I channeled a move into my body for extra strength?

I closed my eyes and took in grass-type mana from the crispy air around me and an Energy Ball coursed its way into my palms. The hilt of the blade flashed dark-green. I yelled as I pulled the black sword up toward the sky and crashed right into the Substitute Doll.

“Woah, that's insane!” the Charmander and Totodile cheered.

The stitching of the cloth held stalwart as the blade bounced backward, and took me along with it.

“Watch out!” Coordinator Cooper pulled Nevada and Toko out of the way as I plummeted to the ground, and the black sword flew into the air.

“Nice stuff Linus.” Glade grinned and helped me up. “Just wait and see what I can do!” The Totodile walked over to the blade, which had sunk into the grass. She pulled its handle upright.

Glade and Nevada both followed Coordinator Cooper's instructions with similar results to mine. The Totodile and the Charmander sliced at the Substitute Doll just like I did.

“Aw what?” Glade yelled, as a hollow thunk echoed off the doll and she remained on the ground.

Nevada's tail flame dimmed down as the black sword simply pressed into the Substitute. “Not good.”

The blue water-type mana of Aqua Tail and orange fire-type mana of Flamethrower were fierce on their bodies and flashed on the curved arrow but still it was different.

“Nice work y'all!” I pumped my fist. “As Team Leader I think I showed an example of what ta strive for.

Glade hurrumped as she dusted herself off. “It was better than last time, but you must have cheated.”

“Wha, I’d nevar cheat!”

“Yeah Linus, being Team Leader doesn't mean you're automatically the strongest!” Nevada puffed out a little ember.

"Y’all do somethin’ better then!”

“Fascinating!” Toko clasped her sheathed claws together and mimed the motions of the blade. “Such power!”

Coordinator Cooper watched the screen of the box and tallied down something, presumably numbers on a clipboard he had brought with him.

“Can we take the sword with us?” I asked, my tails slowly raised.

“No, it's still a bit of a risk, perhaps after this mission, depending on how things go.” Before we could even say anything the Granbull turned to the Sneasel. “Now Toko.”

“Yes Coordinator?” Toko stood up straight with her arms by her sides.

“You can try picking up the black testing sword if you'd like.”

What? He's just moving on to her ? I got that she's new and unlike Jin could actually use the black sword but why? How can Coordinator Cooper just move on? I know I said help us with the Disruption and the rehabilitation of the world's mana by any means necessary, but it's too fast for Toko to advance like this. Maybe we're too slow. Or I'm the slow one.

The Sneasel knelt down toward the blade. “Understood.”

Like she could do better than Yoshiko or Austin. I took a step back as Toko sheathed her claws and touched the black sword.

“Woah!” The Sneasel gasped as she dropped to the ground, and held her right claw.

Ha, I knew it.

With a deep breath she got low and placed both claws on the handle of the blade.

Wait.

Toko's ears folded down as she bared her teeth and pulled with all her might. The black sword slowly but surely lifted higher and higher off the grass. It wobbled side to side before the Sneasel held it steady, in a stance firm and swung it.

“Satisfactory results?” Toko asked. The blade fell out of her claws and she staggered onto the ground.

My jaw dropped. She swung it?

Claps erupted from Glade, Nevada, and Coordinator Cooper’s claws. “Way to go Toko!” they cheered.

“Surprised ya did so well,” I grumbled and faced away from the four of them. I can't believe it! She really is fast. Mon at this rate what will I be good for?

“Surprised?”

I nodded as I heard a rustling noise in the grass.“But-”

“I’d like you all to come to the office,” Chief McBone barked as she skidded to a halt in front of me.

I nearly stumbled over as I stared up at the Stoutland. I forgot how fast she was even as a Stoutland, holy Mew!

“Now?” Glade questioned.

Chief McBone nodded.“Now. Before you get too carried away.”

“Again?” I asked, as I ran a hand down my arm.

“Well the newly arrived special Connection Orb is there.”

Nevada's eyes widened. “The what!?”

“Come quickly now,” the Stoutland huffed in a low bark. “Leader Magearna's first seminar will begin shortly.”

We made our way back inside the League and headed back up to the third floor. The Granbull ahead of us opened the door to the office and the six of us entered.

There sat Chad, Diamond, Mienfoo, Slowbro, Rio, and River.

Now that I've seen them up close, I noticed that the Herdiers had a navy blue scarf on, with an odd circular badge. That was the badge Paradise Ranchers had.

I guess Anabel and Bernard were still on watch as always, maybe next time.

Coordinator Cooper walked over to the desk, and reached into a tall cabinet beside it, with a small blue key in his paws. He then pulled out a blue sphere with a grey thin rod sticking out of it, one slightly bigger than an Escape Orb or a Rollcall Orb.

“Greetings everyone!~” a metallic voice, the voice of Leader Magearna called out from the device, the Connection Orb.

Leader Magearna talked about mana artifacts and the Disruption. But most importantly they said one word. One word that made the Herdier twins cry.

“With research from Team Vanguard-”

My own eyes watered.

Leader Magearna kept talking, they mentioned a way to end the Disruption was in our reach. Not just with the keys and locks of mana, but with the Gears of Mana inside all mana artifacts. Even ones we never heard of. All of this information.“They paved the way.”

Chad and Diamond sniffled too, tears streamed down their faces.

Memories, some of my words from about six years ago flooded my mind.

I'll make a Rescue Team with my brother and sister, and some other Pokémon! Team Swift Claw!” I said in that Mystery Dungeon, the same dark forest where I was attacked by a Pidgeotto of Wicked Blow.

Now that I thought about it, she was an unlocked Keeper, and had probably forcibly unlocked that poor Wooloo Hatchet, Kobi and I found during their exam. Misusing the elemental keys and locks of mana for a gang, that Pidgeotto was one of the Pokémon who caused the Disruption.

I have a better idea,” that confident Hillock Country accented voice, that same voice of the Midday Lycanroc who saved me from Wicked Blow echoed in my ears.“ Team Sharp Claw .”

My memories faded and I was in the real world again. Faced with the truth.

Tho-san, that kind, busy Midday Lycanroc was killed by Wicked Blow. All of the fourteen Pokémon of Team Vanguard were killed by the so-called Committees and maybe by some other group. All because of this. The knowledge to fix the world. To end and prevent the Disruption, forever.

After the first seminar, and that promise of more from Leader Magearna, and by extension, everyone else working with them, we needed to keep going. The black testing sword was something we could use, part of the Mana Regalia. The Mana Regalia let us get an even chance against unlocked Keepers, and it could help in the Rehabilitation of the world's mana.

Nevada, Glade, Toko, and I sat in the living room on the first floor. The darkening purples, blues, and dark grays of sky from the evening glimmering bright through the blinds behind us.

Everyone of us. Suffered because of those Pokémon in the Committee. I now knew what to do. “We can't just let everyone do all the hard work!” I slammed the fist onto my chest.

“Does this mayhaps mean what I think?” the Sneasel got off the floor.

The Charmander and Totodile beside us smirked. “Let's go see what you've got!”

A coating of dark-purple energy, no doubt some poison type move coated Toko's claws as she stood in front of a Substitute in the practice field.

“What move was that?” Nevada asked, their tail flame flickering hotter and brighter.

“It was a Poison Jab.”

“Can we see the others?”

“Quick Guard, Quick Attack, and Reversal.”

The Charmander cheered. “Those are great against the tactics of my Charizard and Drizzlie siblings- the current Econ Bounty Hunters.”

“Praytell?” Toko tilted her head. “They are?”

Glade grabbed the Sneasel’s shoulder. “Ugh, the field isn't right for this!”

“If I may, this is the field set aside for practice, within the limits you require of me.”

“Your moves require live training, not just wailing on some Substitute.”

I furrowed my brow as there was the faint sound of padding through the grass around us. “We all need something better than this.”

“Real freaking training!” The Totodile fist pumped.

“Like what we had with Team Whitelight on Logos Mountain!”

Toko's eyes widened. “So you did go?”

“Yep,” a different, yet familiar voice called. “And they got a bit carried away.”

“What?”

We turned around and low and behold.

“Chad, and Diamond?” I, Glade, and Nevada asked.

The Pikachu and Wartortle stood before us. “Hey Team Sharp Claw.” Diamond smirked. “We thought we'd just stop by.”

“Can you train with us?” I just had to ask.

Chad shook his head. “No.”

“Or atleast spar or something?” Glade crossed her arms.

The Pikachu sighed. “We're going on a mission out of town.”

“Out of Bristberg?” Toko questioned, her eyes wide.

“It's just a quick request in Mizu Mori, so we'll be back just around when you all will be heading home too,” The Wartortle explained.

“What?” Nevada gasped and nearly jumped into me again.

“We've all got stuff planned for you.” Chad stepped toward me and grinned. “But ours will blow your mind!”

Diamond smiled as well. “See ya on the flipside Team Sharp Claw! Keep Toko safe and be nice to our little siblings Slowbro and Mienfoo alright?”

“Will do!”

“Bye!” Chad and Diamond waved as they exited back through the stalks of grain toward the patio of the League.

The same stalks that towered over Glade, Nevada and I were just under chest height for those two. Just another difference between Team Sharp Claw and Team Aegisdrip.

Who would train us?

“I'm truly sorry Team Sharp Claw.” Chief McBone sighed and got down from her desk. “I have paperwork to fill out, information from Austin and Yoshiko. From Team Blue Heroes around Saltwater Cliffs, the area near Leader Magearna's seminar. Documents from Wally and Spyla from Team Aegisdrip. Oh and reports from Silas and Aerith, the co-captains of Team Blue Heroes-”

We backed away with a nod.

“And I'm busy with Mienfoo and Slowbro,” Coordinator Cooper explained. “We've got another part of the entrance exam to do.”

“I understand,” I said and fastened my scarf, my gaze low.

Glade and Nevada grumbled to one another while Toko just stretched out her arms with a yawn.

The Granbull walked over to us as Rio and River entered the office. “Don't worry Team Sharp Claw. We've got some more assistance today, so I think it's time you got to go on another mission.”

I turned to the Herdier twins and noticed the large saddlebags on their sides and glanced back and forth. “What?”

“Tomorrow morning, bright and early,” River explained. “We are heading to New Withered Savannah, the city that will host a new Mana Research League.”

“Oh?” Glade gasped, her massive jaw wide.

Rio stepped in when my brow furrowed. “We'll be stopping by some places to do our Paradise Ranch work and we need you to go establish League relations on our behalf.”

“Understood.” Toko bowed.

I adjusted my badge and stared at the Charmander and Totodile beside me. “Let's get ready.”

The warm light of morning came slowly, just as they always did. I got out of bed, parted the curtains, and scanned the area beside me. Alright, let's get the show on the road. “ Good morning!”

Rio and River had made breakfast: toast, eggs, bean sausages, berries, and grits. Toko, had an extra portion of Oran and Lum, and didn't mind the bean sausage at all, while I and everyone else devoured everything.

Then we were on the road.

“Estimated time of arrival?” Toko asked as we stepped onto the teal Bristberg mountains and headed south.

“New Withered Savannah is a few hours away.” River locked his eyes westbound.

“Unfortunately and perhaps fortunately The only Mystery Dungeon to get there isn't worth the risk,” Rio explained.

“Ah, no extra training,” I grumbled, and adjusted my scarf.

“More importantly there's reports of mana artifacts along this mountain-desert, southwestern Bristberg, northern Legend Eclipse, and northeastern New Withered Savannah.”

“Then we best hurry up and find em!” Glade yelled and dashed ahead, past the town limits.

Nevada chased after her. “Slow down! Rio and River said Libra and A would deal with it!”

The Herdiers gazed at Toko and I before they chuckled. “Ever zealous eh? Well, we best get a move on.”

We got lower down off the towering mountain tops, and weaved our way slightly towards sea-level minute by minute. Still high above the valleys we got closer to Hunter's Plains, the rocky ground grew sandier, with small clusters of grass appearing more often.

Soon, after about two or so hours we reached the yellowing mountainous hills above Legend Eclipse. Directly to the west was the Electro Sun Mountain Range, a beautiful set of orange, clay, yellow, and brown small mountains where we'd cross into New Withered Savannah. That Mountain range was nearly always in view when I lived in Hunter’s Plains, but now it was just a distant landmark.

About three hours passed and the sun's warmth really kicked in. The overall desert climate grew more pronounced with every dry gust of wind, passed stray Cacnea, and Bramblghast family. Not to mention the frequenting sand dunes even right beside the hillocks. New Withered Savannah would be in our reach soon, the Herdier twins promised us this after our break. The desolate and nearly barren land around us sent a shiver up my spine, but I saw the torch marked, and clearly traveled path ahead of us, which led through a section of mountains and over to the city. We weren't in straylands, which also meant we had to be careful.

As usual River stayed behind, but with his huge nose I heard his rate of sniffing increase.

Rio lowered her ears and the Herdiers pushed us into a tighter formation. We edged closer and closer to the mountain's narrow passage.

In my eyes the two looked unnaturally tense, just like when Knight and Spellbound came to the League. River and Rio were Keepers after all, other Keepers couldn't easily sneak up on them, especially if they were unlocked.

“Who goes there!” River growled, his eyes wide.

Out of the sand dune came two Pokémon, a Starmie and a Charabug.

“We went through all the trouble of stealing this from Prismacolor Plains and now we get stopped!?” The Starmie's warbled watery voice spat.

That's just where we were a few days ago! Before Nevada's siblings’ Bounty Hunters supposedly took the Treasure of Tapu Koko. It was taken by some other thugs instead!?

River narrowed his eyes. “Excuse me?”

“Move aside punks!” The Charabug strained forward with the huge bag. “And what’s with that Sneasel?”

“Eyes over here pal!” Rio growled.

The Starmie flashed a dark pink color, and the barrier of Light Screen on him and the Charabug. “Nevermind! Better yet, gimme all your stuff!”

“They're unlocked Keepers!” The Herdiers barked.

“I think you all would make fine additions to our gang, we'll climb the ranks with you in no time!”

Operation: Strike!” My heart pounded fast as I stared at the sand around the two Pokémon. “Get ready y'all!”

Both wore a black and white striped scarf, but more importantly was the giant bag behind them, a large bladed point, peaked out from a tear. Whatever it was, it called to me.

“It's Wicked Blow, Team Sharp Claw! Engage!” Rio ordered.

“Let's just get this over with little Paradisers!” The Charabug shot out a Discharge of electricity.

Shoot! It'll hit all of us! Gotta get closer! The huge swath of power blasted through the dusty air and straight into each of our bodies to the sand at our feet. While the crackle blasted through me, almost harmlessly, I launched closer.

Before the yellow static tagged through Glade’s scales Toko darted in front of her. The current fizzed out from existence as a red translucent wall blocked it.

“What!?” The Charabug screamed.

“Do not fret!” The Sneasel's body gleamed bright red.

The Totodile smirked as Toko patted her shoulder. “Thanks!”

My eyes lit up as the red segmented barrier move disbursed from Glade’s scales. Woah! That was Quick Guard! Toko could just block an attack like that?

“Don't think we don't know who you four are!” The Starmie shot out a beam of ice towards me. “League scum!”

“What will that accomplish for you?” The Sneasel brandished her claws as she backed away.

“Get down!” Nevada blasted through the Ice Beam with a Flamethrower.

The powerful gale of frigid wind melted straight into a plume of vapor, and consumed the fire.

With a garbled scoff the Starmie fumed.“We're not just any Wicked Blow members,” he yelled. “We're second vice captains of Amelia Weavile's Xi 20 gang! We reign supreme!”

River stepped forward as he reeled from the shock. “Get the bag!”

I took in normal-type mana from the air and channeled Slam deep into my legs.

“Don't get cocky brat!” The Charabug slid in front of the bag at me and nearly stumbled forward. “We can't touch ‘em but It's from those stupid Econ Bounty Hunters, not something for your pitiful mitts!” Her jaws glew light green with Bug Bite, and then the light flashed.

The intensity of the attack grew and my knees nearly buckled. What was that!?

“But you're Keepers!” I growled as I shoved back against her, and my arms gave out. “You can't even use these mana artifacts!”

“Doesn't matter!”

Rio pushed me away from the Charabug before her jaws flashed a bright orange flame. The Herdier's Fire Fang blazed through the skin. But still the Charabug stood firm, and something in the bag behind her glowed green.

A Reviver Seed! Crap, these two are smarter and stronger than they look!

A purple blur shot right beside Rio, as the Charabug flinched.

“I got one!” Toko yelled, she dropped to the ground as she lugged out an enormous three-pointed glaive.

It was almost larger than my entire body, and there was another one.

“Operation: Steam!” I yelled.

Glade and Nevada shot forward and grabbed the bag.

The Starmie flipped immediately away from me and screamed. “Nooo! Stop them!”

“Back off!” The Totodile pulled back her fist and punched him with Brick Break.

He didn't flinch and instead spun around toward Toko in rapid white blur.

The Charmander grabbed onto one of the Starmie's points with Dragon Claw and held on for dear life.

“Give it ta me!” I yelled.

The Sneasel grit her teeth and roared. Could she do it? She locked eyes with me and pulled fighting-type mana from our surroundings, and straight into her body. The silver three pointed glaive flew through the air.

As the triple-axel sliced in between Toko, Charabug, Rio, and Starmie I saw it. The shimmer of the empty slots of all three handles.

Giga Drain practically burst through my whole upper body as my hands grazed one of the handles. Something inside me pulled the glaive straight toward the Starmie. A powerful bright light radiated off his body. In one motion the blades sliced across from one arm, over his red gem, and down to one of his bottom arms.

My body all but collapsed as the Starmie flew backwards from the attack.

Power from a real Mana Regalia. Unbridled, by the hands of a Pokémon unworthy, ones unable to even hold it. Now in our grasp. No, my grasp.

Might incarnate. Retribution for all those slain and ruined in a conquest for the elemental keys and locks of mana.Was this the taste of unlocked power?

And it still wasn't enough.

“Retreat!” Charabug burrowed her head deep into the dirt before she spat out a plume and torrent of gritty sediment.

Starmie shot across the sand with a Rapid Spin and picked her up as the gusts of wind intensified. I couldn't see my hands in front of me, but the heavy weight of the glaive grounded me through the blasts of sand.

Then it stopped.

“They're gone.” River's comment snapped me out of my haze.

I dropped the giant glaive as the Starmie and Chargabug disappeared in the grains of the sandstorm. “Finally, it's over.”

Toko darted away from the crumbling sandpit before us and sighed. With the Charmander and Totodile right next to them the Sneasel sheathed her claws.

“That was something.” Glade stumbled over with a grunt.

Nevada followed her with a sigh. “Guess we're still not strong enough?”

Rio and River exchanged positions of their noses to the ground and their eyes and ears up to search the land. “I'm glad we're all safe.”

“We've should'a put ‘em in the damn dirt for Arceus’ sake!” I growled as I stamped the ground.

“Are you not pleased we got them to retreat?” Toko cheered.

“I don't understand how you are!” I pushed the Sneasel against the mountainside.

Toko stumbled back and used her palms to hold me away. I watched as she tried not to scratch me with her claws as she accidentally knocked me over.

“What the voidlands is going on with you!?” Glade yelled but my glare froze the Totodile in her tracks.

Toko's stronger than I realized! I stared and shot back at the Sneasel. And she's taller too ugh, I hate still being at Treecko height!

“Linus!?” Rio gasped and dashed over to us. In the blink of an eye I crashed onto the sandy soil again.

River blocked Toko with his body and peered into my eyes. “Explain yourself!”

“How do you keep that act up, Toko?!” I yelled and climbed off the ground.

“What act?”

“The act of how yur just energetic and ya just keep going and never give up!”

“An act?”

“Even though I've only known you for a little bit, I don't understand.”

“Linus, she's herself you know.” Rio asserted. “Everyone handles losses in different ways, we know a thing or three about it.”

“I just need ta understand!”

“You need to listen to us!” River stamped straight through a small boulder. “We’ve dealt with this before! Our own former teammates, of Team Vanguard, who we’ve known for years, were gone in an instant because of those Pokémon leading the Committee!”

The air felt silent after the Herdier dropped that on me. Why was I like this? I’m always like this… “It doesn’t matter! I… Please Toko, tell me how.”

“Could you?” Nevada finally spoke up, their claws on my shoulders. “I'm sorry Toko, Linus takes being Team Captain way too far sometimes. I'm sorry we can't handle him.”

“I understand. It was not easy.” The Sneasel held her bandaged sides and winced. “I speak truly. It is very hard. You do not know what I have been through and what the Committee has done to us.”

“Ya don't know what we've been through either-”

“Jin told me as much information as possible and because of that they did everything in their power to make our lives miserable.”

“What is he going through?” the Charmander puffed out a tiny wisp of smoke.

“Tell us what he's actually going through!” Glade begged, her eyes wide.“Not what Spellbound told you to say!”

Toko's eyes drifted down.“The Committee staff will not kill him, they shall do everything but that.”

“How?” I gasped. “How do you even know that?”

The Charmander's tail flared before they huffed.“Those guys are crazy!”

“Well, they know that some organization can track if we, the ones from Hisui, die. It is not the League but one of your allies.”

“Our hidden allies,” the Totodile grumbled. “Everyone's been bringing them up more and more lately.”

“They've done so much for the League, helping Leader Magearna find out about those Gears of Mana, much more than what I've done,” I grumbled. “Even with these Greavard-gone glaives!”

The Sneasel shook her head. “False, you took in me and Jin.”

“We were just followin’ orders!”

“You know that is not true.”

My cheeks flushed. “Fine… I'm sorry.”

“That is why I shall not falter. I have to because this is what Jin would want me to do.”

“But, I can’t deal with this loss and every other loss properly,” I yelled. “I lashed out at you, and everyone else! I always do!”

“It is okay,” Toko explained.

“How?”

“Even after the Committee sent me here. This loyal servant of Sinnoh thought she was going to die- ” the purple-Sneasel paused to shiver, “or worse. But now that I'm here I refuse to yield.”

“Thank you.” I stepped away from her. “I haven't mastered my emotions and took everything out on ya. It wasn't fair, it's not like ya wanted to be here. I'm sorry, I truly am sorry.”

Toko grinned as she dusted off her fur. “Apology accepted. But do not think I will hold back!” She flexed her arms, a claw firm on her scarf and badge.

“Well, I'm glad you're determined to stay by our League's side.” River gestured to the weapons on the sand. “However the new issue is the Mana Regalia, this pair of glaives.”

“What's tha problem?” I rubbed my sore joints as an ache coursed through me.

Rio sighed as she fiddled with the small Connection Orb on her harness. “Dad didn't trust you to bring along the black testing sword and now we have the real deal.”

“Ah.” I glanced down at them. “Okay.”

“Hello?” the Herdier's call echoed through the area, but more specifically into her Orb.

… A muffled, staticky voice, one I couldn't hear replied back.

“Yeah, uh we ran into some unlocked Wicked Blow vice captains.”

“From Xi 20, Amelia Weavile's gang, and um,” River laughed a little. “They escaped.”

“More importantly we found some of the Mana Regalia. What should we do?”

“You sure Mom?”

“Okay Dad.”

“Farewell!”

The Connection Orb shut off.

“Okay little Fangs of the Fallen,” River said as he approached us. “You each need to try out the glaives. Keep the Mana Regalia safe with your lives.”

Rio pawed at the sand. “First let's secure them.”

“Got it.” Nevada and Glade lugged each of the massive glaives and shoved them inside the bag.

“Don't take them out until we reach the New Withered Savannah League.” The Herdiers' instruction was clear as they turned away.

“What shall I do?” Toko asked, her ears twitching.

“Don't worry. You can help those three master it, like with the black testing sword.”

“I shall do my best!”

“Let's continue.”

Underneath the hazy sky and above the warm dunes of sand sat Killamanjaro’s Peak, the mountain that grazed the zenith. One that held a few Mystery Dungeons, the foundation for New Withered Savannah itself, and the way to a very special building. The dusty sandstone and cream path before us led all the way to a towering three-story building, one familiar to my eyes in design.

The new League. There were other small tan buildings below it trimmed with pastel blue, dusty yellow, and clayish brown. An entire city waited before us, the bustle and commotion of Pokémon echoed out from the depths.

We made it to New Withered Savannah.

A low whistling call pierced the air and brought my attention to our immediate surroundings.

On the sandy mountain ledge before us stood five small Pokémon, and I nearly had a double take as I actualized two of them. A Fighting-type Farfetch’d and an Eiscue basked in the cooling breeze, their black, green, and gold plaid scarves blowing in the wind.

“Wait a minute?” The Totodile pointed up at them.

The Charmander furrowed their brow. “Kenji and Algoa?”

“You know those Pokémon?” Rio questioned.

How could I forget? Those two fight-crazed goofballs ambushed us in Bristberg Highland Mystery Dungeon like four days ago! If anything they were at least nice, but only weary of Jin. And their Mercenary company owed the Econ Bounty Hunters enough money to threaten all of Bristberg. Somehow.

“We met on a mission recently. They worked at my old job,” I said with a smirk, my tails waving.

“Really?”

I nodded.“With the Black Clover Mercenaries.”

And beside the two, were a Quaxly, a Sprigatito, and a Fuecoco, also similarly attired. They had every corner under their stern gazes, and surrounded the taller Pokémon.

“And who are those guys with them?”

River sighed and continued forward. “We won't know until we get a move on, let's go.”

The sounds of life grew louder and louder, even as we neared the road less taken, there weren't any travelers on this route. They all took the south or western entrances from Pokémon I saw, braving the sandy air high above the land.

In the dusty path beyond us I shuddered. A mirage, one typical of a desert, hit me.

Far into the depths of the orange ocean of sand. There it was.

“Now what is it?” Rio perked her ears up.

I gasped as my eyes trained on the brief image. “There's something, someone… a Pokémon. A ghost of a Pokémon.”

“Of w-what?” Nevada shivered.

That image flashed inside my mind and my heart pounded. Mirages faded, and visions faded, unlike life.

“Not a what, but… a who.” I held my chest.

“Who?” Toko asked, her eyes narrowed.

Life never faded.

“One like Jin.”

Chapter 25/ Interlude 3- Heroic Blues Part 1 New

Kiba Makuro

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Originally Posted April 30th, 2024

Chapter Summary
Those who have great responsibility deserve great power, correct?

Libra Riolu's POV​

Torrents of sand, rocks, and grit tumbled around us as I and the Froakie fell. Rushing winds pushed against my back; I stretched my paws out to try and stop my crashing descent. I couldn't believe it. A-chan and I got caught in a trap from Wicked Blow.

As I dropped off the mountain, a chunk of rock bashed into the back of my head. The world went dark.

In light’s absence, I felt it once again. The horrid memory of Devolution: my body transforming from that of a Lucario back into a Riolu. Just like before, the pairs of tassels on the sides of my head merged. A throbbing ache barreled throughout my skull. The spikes of silver and tin, sank back into the depths of my chest and my forearms, and I screamed out in agony. My limbs, and entire body shrank again with a violent crush and pulse. I cried out as my steel elemental typing escaped my very bones. Blinding onslaught of pain coursed through me, just like when I became a Riolu again.

With a gasp, I rolled over to the side, my limbs trembling. Holy Volcanian… why must I remember that!? I opened my eyes and took in the clay mountain ground below me covered in orange-yellow rocks and dust. That was the past, I won't have to ever go through that again. I staggered off the floor and saw the mouth of a cave before me. The darkness of the maw consumed all, a Mystery Dungeons might at work.

Beside me, in a ball of his white back bubbles lay a sprawled out Froakie, A-chan. His eyes spiraled as he mumbled to himself and sat up.

I shifted over to A. “You okay?”

“No,” he groaned.

“Hey!” I trudged over to him.

A blinked as he clutched his arms and back. “Glad we survived the fall eh, Libra?”

“Yeah,” I replied with a stretch. “Where are we?”

The Froakie rubbed his nose and peered side to side. “Brittlesand Sierra… Probably the bottom floor.”

“Oh for Lugia's gale!” I gasped. “We need to go, come on.”

A bolted upright and practically flew towards the cave entrance. “We've got to get back to Rosario and Hatchet!”

“I know!”

The Froakie pointed at the mountainside we fell from. “They're up there, and it's definitely not safe!”

I got up and caught up to him, then we rushed back into the mouth of the cave. My paws crushed back into the rough grit of the mountain and I sighed. As I felt the crunch of soil, my eyes scanned the halls of the Mystery Dungeon. There was nothing for the moment, no items, no Pokémon, just the empty still land.“There's barely time to waste fighting anything in our way,” I growled. “No matter what.”

The Froakie beside me pointed ahead. “We can't afford to be careless though, come on.”

My Gold-rank badge twinkled in the refracted light of the sun. “I’ll call for help.” I pushed at one of the wings on the triangular badge. I pray the waters above, the request actually went through out here.

"Rescue Team Federation of Constellation Sands. How can I help ya?" a deep rumbling voice came out of the small speakers.

I cleared my throat. "Team Blue Heroes, located in Brittlesand Sierra Floor One,” I explained. “Wicked Blow presence in the surrounding Mystery Dungeons. Requesting assistance."

“Understood, take care,” the voice called.

A flashed me a thumbs up.“Nice work, but we aren’t gonna wait for ‘em!”

We had to hurry. Hurry, through these Mystery Dungeons. That's always what we're supposed to do. And I couldn't even escort two adult Pokémon with A. I buried my paws against my throbbing temples.“I can't believe I failed them!”

“You didn't fail them,” A replied, also nursing his head with every step we took.

“I did fail them, just like I failed Team Sharp Claw, like before the Disruption, all those years ago.”

“How?”

My ears folded back.“I was supposed to make sure that they got to Bristberg safely. I couldn't focus when they talked about ferals wrong like that. Our family shouldn't be taken lightly. Oh, and saying Sentinels are useless, what do they know?”

“Yeah that was ridiculous. But what do you mean you couldn't focus?” the Froakie asked. “You dealt with that Monster House and pushed them out of the way of the trap just fine.”

I groaned as my back ached. Lingering pain from the fall and our battles caught up to me despite the natural healing powers of the Mystery Dungeon. “Rosario’s attitude pissed me off, I can't believe they're really a former Pokemon trainer. But it didn't matter, I still shouldn't have said that stuff.”

A crossed his arms before he spoke.“You didn't say anything wrong. We've got to switch gears to our new objective.”

“But I’m still such a failure as a leader.”

“You didn't fail them, you couldn't have known that would have happened Libra…Let it go. We’re still Team Blue Heroes, through thick and thin.”

I nodded as we clambered up the sandy Mystery Dungeon staircase. “You're right. I won't let it distract me further.”

A grinned back at me and ruffled my shoulder. “We need to make sure we take care of Wicked Blow when we see ‘em.”

Once again we ventured further through the winding maze of halls.The mountain up weren’t anything like the ones I’ve seen on the Water or Air Continent, just a ton of sand all across the ground. Sparkling dry air, pebbles, and dirt filled the top barrier of soil, and wafted into my nose. Beyond the rough mountainside, the dusty ceiling above rumbled. Something was happening.

Along the subtle rises and dips and winding maze an aura slowly and steadily drummed. There's still that powerful Pokémon up ahead, somewhere. Thunderclap every single step, just like before.

Two subtle bits of aura, of regular feral Pokémon moved back and forth somewhere nearby. Mystery Dungeons made it hard to exactly tell what direction Pokémon approached from, so it wasn't like aura gave us perfect foresight.

I peered in a branching room and spotted three more entrances right nearby, mountain walls and stone in between. And Pokémon were coming. From the left, a Jigglypuff and a Fletchling made their way to an alcove beside us.

With a breath, I pulled the fighting-type mana for Force Palm into my paws, while A readied up a Water Pulse. The red energy pooled across my body while the dark blue spear of water wavered in the air beside the Froakie's hands, both aimed at our potential enemies.

The two feral Pokémon glanced at one another and then backed away from us. The Fletchling flew away toward the mountains, while the Jigglypuff waddled further from the path next to A and I.

I couldn’t help but sigh as we hurried past them and into another room. Good thing we avoided that fight . The room we found ourselves in had stairs. We rushed up the last light-yellow staircase of Brittlesand Sierra and made it back to the beginning of Needlemaw Peak, where the massive imprint was in the ground.

My nose twitched as I scoured the ground and shook my head. “Where’d that drill and those chains go?” I grumbled as I walked past it. “Along with the massive hole in the Manaphy damn ground!”

“The trap must have magically repaired the soil.” The Froakie beside me shrugged.

An electrical pulse trembled from above, further into Needlemaw Peak.

“Libra!” A's voice echoed through the narrow halls. “What's going on?”

I winced as the shocks slowly dissipated. My fur tingled from the new polarity in the air. “I’m not too sure, but let’s keep going,” I explained as I shuffled closer to him.

“Yeah!”

Just a few pathways stood in front of us. We took the one with disturbed soil, it looked traveled, with faint footsteps in the ground. My tassels and nose sensed a soft bit of faded aura and I swallowed as we slowly crept around a corner to a new area of the mountain. This led to a small room with a knocked out Spinarak.

Eventually further through the same floor of the Mystery Dungeon, A stopped dead in his tracks and pointed to the left. My eyes followed his trembling hand and I found the fainted limp body of a Revaroom. no essence of draconic or electrical energy on them this time. Hatchet and Rosario didn't put this feral in.

“If those two didn't do it-” I pondered aloud.

A cut me off. “P-probably Wicked Blow. I'm not sure those two are ready.”

I grumbled at the thought. “Me neither.”

The Froakie adjusted his bubbles.“Hatchet is Linus's younger brother right? How'd the Axew end up so foolish?”

“They did spend the last six years apart, when Linus left home.”

“Left home, oh yeah. Now that I think about it, I wonder how Team Sharp Claw is doing?”

“That's a great question, maybe we can find out later.”

“But waiting ‘til we get back to the League will take forever!” A fake cried.

I clenched my fists. “Waiting… I don't know why but this reminds me of Wei Forest.”

“Libra.”

“What if we got separated in there?”

“Libra, come on.”

“What if Young Master Xuě Zeraora was older? What if she was stronger?!”

“Libra!”

“What?”

The Froakie placed a hand on my shoulder and put another hand on his chest.“I believe in Hatchet and Rosario. Try not to think about it, okay? I know it's hard but please.”

I still felt like such a disappointment, but for him I gave him a wry smile.“Okay.”

“Thank you.”

We continued throughout the darker, more red-orange and brown mountain, finer sand still scattered about the ground. Sharper, more jagged stones lined the insurmountable peaks above.

Like before there were no conscious Pokemon in this area. Rather none that approached us, as I noticed a fleeting trace of aura as we entered more and more rooms around. In the path before us a Pawmo and a Buizel, laid unconscious along the floor, a pile of a rock-type and ground-type moves all around them.

Definitely wasn't Hatchet or Rosario. Maybe other ferals took this Pawmo and Buizel out… Or maybe Wicked Blow. I shuddered as A and I hurried down the hall past the knocked out Pokémon into another room.

The Froakie paused and I stopped in my tracks and studied our surroundings, a narrow passage of orange-clayish wall, carved straight off the mountain. A slight indent on the stones, one from a three-fingered claw drew me in toward the left portion.

“A Pokemon attack?” the Froakie asked.

I sniffed at the wall. “There’s traces of draconic energy on it… And fresh.”

“It could be from, a feral Pokémon, or Hatchet, or Volcanian forbid, Wicked Blow.”

“That's not the only odd thing about this wall, the pattern on it. These bricks are kinda weird.”

“Look at this bricklaying, the techniques are quite fascinating.” A ran a finger along the wall, in between each ridge and line of the sealant.

I sniffed as a strong staticy aura bolted through the mountain. Shimmering crackles lit up through the air, all the way from one point on the walls A and I stood in between. “Some Pokemon, perhaps the ancients of this land-”

“Near Hunter’s Plains, Electro Sun Mountain Range,” the Froakie reminded me.

“Yeah, those Pokemon, they made this in the past.” I took a couple of steps toward the sparkling wall, small whips and whirls of yellow plasma danced along its surface.

“There's some Pokémon on the other side,” A said and clenched his scarf. “Feeling their aura like this makes me almost regret Master Dodrio's training.”

“Then I'd be one of the only on our team who understands how it feels to sense powerful Pokémon.”

A waved a hand. “I mean our co-captains, Silas and Aerith are Keepers.”

“That Salamence and that Comfey are also like quite a few years older than us, they’ve seen worse.”

“Yeah but I haven’t! It's scary as all Voidlands Libra, the anticipation is killing me!”

“Not even Yoshiko or Austin have wimped out that bad.” I ruffled my neck fur. “Those two are out at Leader Magearna's seminars and doing their part. Even further away from home and the League's help.”

“Yeah but those two are lucky… They didn't devolve, they got to stay as a Groyvle and a Charmeleon… They're stronger than us. Libra we're good, but there are Pokémon that we can't handle. I've felt their aura nearby.”

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared shitless too. It's an asset for us as we don't have a Keeper presence and can sense basically everything.”

“Define asset?” His hand pointed to a raised portion of the wall, the bricks lifted straight from the surroundings. Near the bottom chunk of stone, an opening waited.

“Probably the powerful Pokémon aura I…” I paused. “No, we felt earlier.”

The Froakie nodded as he grabbed the base of the brick protrusion. “We warned Rosario and Hatchet about them and Wicked Blow. But we have to be careful ourselves. There's reinforcements from the Rescue Team Federation coming soon, but we don't know how long that could take.”

I sighed as he pushed up the wall part of the way up, and I placed my paws on the other end. “Maybe a team from our League is nearby?” My question strained as I pushed up on the heavy stones, my arms and upper body trembling.

“There were a few teams that were supposed to go on missions in the areas close by,” A added while his grip nearly slipped, the wall almost taller than my crouching height. “Like Team Aegisdrip, Whitelight, and Sharp Claw.”

With a roaring rumble, the bricks swung upright and another part of the wall slammed directly into my hip.

“What in Kyorge’s rings!?” I screamed, as the stones threw me into the Froakie and we crashed onto the other side of the wall.

“You think I know!” He screamed back as he tumbled under the bricks along with me.

Behind the wall was a world I never imagined, one dark, humid, and packed to the brim with dust and grit. Gentle orange light bathed my eyelids and I groaned.

With my chin firm on the ground I watched as A crawled off the floor.

“Up we go, doggy.”

“Thanks, A-chan.”

“Thought I told you to stop calling me that.” We both said at the same time.

I laughed and rolled my shoulders.

A giggled as well as he stretched.

We're so stupid. As my joints cracked, I got to take in more of our surroundings: an orange-clayish mountain merged with a dark grey cave, and what was within that cave. More and more of the darkness was illuminated bit by bit from torches along the walls.

The Froakie beside me gasped. In the depths of the cave, towering above us were particular narrow towers, minarets.

My eyes studied more of the area. The building in the center was a light beige mosque, with gorgeous black stone doors, their massive weight and height evident in the droning thud as it shook back and forth above the opening.

In that opening I saw the stripes of a few Legendaries represented by Zodiac Taurus: Zygarde and Groudon.

“This style of mosaics,” A called out. “The composition of the various crystals and gems used in each color seems familiar.”

I nodded. “It's a style that dates back about two hundred years ago, from the Water Continent. South of Serene Village.”

He rubbed his chin. “Maybe it was made by our ancestors?”

Deep inside a Mystery Dungeon, toward the very top floor, this structure was hidden away.

“This is a Mana Temple…” I gasped. “An elemental key and lock of mana could rest here.”

“By Kyorge!” the Froakie yelped, his eyes wide with fraught. “What can we even do?”

“I’m not sure.”

“We’re not Keepers.”

“We could guard the outside?” I offered.

A sighed as he crossed his arms.“The least we can do for the others.”

The beige building before us, a Mana Temple, was full of magical grandeur. Spiraling brick designs I recognized from Legend Eclipse ordained every centri of the mosque and two surrounding minarets. But we just sat outside, unmoving, and useless.

Go inside.

A voice… One from the depths of the Mana Temple called, directed in my head.

“What?” A yelled. Directly in A's head too.

“How are we going to do that?” I asked.

You are special.

“Special?” Like what those Ditto said back in Wei?

The Master shall explain why you are special.

I blinked. “The Master?”

One of great honor.

“Honorable,” the Froakie beside me said, his eyes closed in what I presumed thought.

I shook my head.“That doesn’t exactly narrow it down.”

A counted on his fingers before he nodded. “Sounds good to me.”

“Wait,” I held out my paw. “There's a weaker aura here… Other Pokémon.”

“It's not Rosario and or Hatchet's…”

In that moment a blade of wind flew toward A and I. I vaulted off the ground with a flip while the Froakie hopped away. “It's ours!” a pair of voices cackled from in front of us.

A Butterfree and a Wishiwashi in solo form rushed out from the sides of the Mana Temple, with black and white stripes on their scarves. Wicked Blow.

“Step aside,” A ordered as he narrowed his eyes.

“Make us!” The Wishiwashi barreled toward the Froakie and I in her Schooling-form with a Waterfall. With a slight turn she zeroed in on me in a cloak of frigid rushing water, straight from the ceiling.

I weaved out of the way and collected fighting-type mana from the air. It sparked into my grasp and I bashed my paw into the Wishiwashi's side with Force Palm. The blow of red energy sent her reeling to the ground but she floated back up with a roar. I thought that would have leveled her more, but she barely flinched! Shoot, not strong enough!

A's wing blades of Aerial Ace bashed into part of the Butterfree and pushed him to the side. Not fast enough!

It seems like you need some help, Guardians.

The voices were probably not heard by the Wishiwashi and Butterfree, as they moved back toward the doors and charged more attacks.

I glanced over at A and dusted off my shoulder.

Do not fret, you shall be awarded your deserved power. It is only fair, as you are doing your duty.

They're gonna help us? A snap crackled throughout the cave as time seemed to stand still. Everything was bathed in a shimmering yellow energy, unlike an aura or mana from an attack. What was this power? The voice of the Mana Temples? How? The sound echoed even as a gentle light, a familiar white light slowly drummed from my chest. No, our chests, the Froakie across from me, was also bathed in warmth. A familiar empowering heat. From within our own bodies.

What's going on? My limbs ached for a second as they shifted in size, in density, and in strength. Pure fighting-type mana, untainted by the Disruption poured through my veins and I took in a shuddering breath. Oh. I know what this is. After five long years. Finally, Evolution again! With a roar, the steel-type energy that belonged to me flooded through my being. Aura whirling, I was once again a Lucario. Two tassels, iron spikes on my forearms, and proper everything else. I wagged my tail as I flexed my new muscles, amazing!

A torrent of water flew in wild splatters and splashes as A's size increased, and he was once again a Frogadier. He grinned as he patted his extra bubbles, and longer limbs.

Now take care of your duties, Guardians.

Time was not on our side forever and the Wicked Blow Pokemon were unchained from their stasis.

The Wishiwashi yelped once she regained control of her body.“What! They got replaced by a Frogadier and a Lucario?” The congregation of Wishiwashi voices trembled. “But the two were just in front of us!”

The Butterfree scattered a few scales as he flew toward the ceiling.“These crazy League freaks evolved during the Disruption! Let's take ‘em out and get out of here!”

“You're part of the reason I devolved!” My slightly deeper growl echoed through the area.“Wicked Blow scum!” I slammed the Wishiwashi with my Force Palm.

“What!?” she screamed.

The massive spike of red energy shot through her entire being this time and tore her Schooling-form façade into pieces. “This is my true power!”

Wishiwashi's now small white body slammed into a wall, and the impact knocked her out into a pathetic heap.

“Holy Mewtwo,” the Butterfree gasped as he flapped his wings. “Don't think you'll get off easy!”

In a flash, an Air Slash battered into my side. The three curved sky-blue slices of energy knocked me off balance but in that moment A flew. With huge sky-blue swords of Aerial Ace, the Frogadier jumped toward the Butterfree and launched at him. A's attack cut through the Butterfree's body in a flash of flying-type power, and sent his body crashing to the ground, unconscious.

The Frogadier landed beside me and glanced at the ceiling. “You okay?” His voice was a tad deeper now, just like before.

We’re so back. By Kyrogre’s grace, am I dreaming? I shifted my hips and flashed him a thumbs up. “Right as rain!”

A held out his palm to the open doors. “I have like a million questions. The most important is; can we go inside the Mana Temple? As Sentinels?”

“I guess so,” I replied and took a step forward.

Remember what we said, you two deserve this. You are performing your Guardian duties, unlike some others who are inside.

“Others inside?”

Some of which are alive, some of which have passed. Regardless, you know what you must do. The Master is waiting.

Chapter 25/Interlude 3- Heroic Blues Part 2 New

Kiba Makuro

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Originally Posted June 5th, 2024

Chapter Summary
Libra and A continue onward in search for Rosario, Hatchet, and potential mana artifacts.

But will what they find be worth it in the end, when the guilty will be punished?

Libra Lucario's POV​

‘High atop Needlemaw Peak, destiny called me to the belly of an ancient cave . Not just me, but the Frogadier by my side, A. I cant believe a Mana Temple was before us: in all its grandeur, our League and others had searched far and wide across the Continent. One possibly built by my ancestors hundreds of years ago, and where ‘the Master’ awaited.’

‘To be granted the privilege to set foot into such a holy place as a Sentinel, to fix the mistakes of Keepers was amazing. A was also allowed in, and even more fantastic somehow we evolved again just to handle Wicked Blow.’

‘But I was worried about the voices from the mosque. Perhaps directly from the minarets where prayer was once called long ago, told us it was our duty. One that others failed. Some paid the price, in blood.’

Dear Aquarius of waters blue, what have we found ourselves in?

I opened my eyes from my prayer and stared at the obsidian black doors before us. We really could go inside for a first hand account of what lies inside a Mana Temple. A glanced up and down the structure before he returned his gaze to me. It was great to see him as a Frogadier again but we had more pressing matters.

“Let's go,” I said.

He nodded. “We still gotta be careful.”

With bated breath, I took my first steps into the Mana Temple. This mosque was huge on the outside and impressively massive on the inside. My eyes widened as I approached the red, black, silver, and yellow shards of painted ceramic of the Groudon mosaic. It was Primal Groudon, holy Taurus beneath. Beside it rested the green, and black shimmering markings of Zygarde. This artwork was gorgeous up close, every glimmering hue, and color on display.

Curious, on the dark beige walls behind were engravings in the shape of cobblings, bits of ore. Along the edges were patterns that reminded me of mountains and valleys, with muddy brown cave symbols every so often.

But we weren't here to gaze at the mosaic and other beautiful furnishings of the Mana Temple. We had a job to do.

A dull, dreadful aura crept over my whole body. From the eastern side of the doors. My nostrils picked up a faint, worrying scent. Carefully, I sniffed the air and took a few cautioned steps closer to the source. A followed, his webbed feet subtly squelching on the dry dusty tile.

We didn't have to look far for the source, as the two of us made it to a darker corner of the mosque. Even if it was strange, the messages… No, the warnings from the voices were true.

The price of blood was real.

My stomach lurched at the sight and scent of blue and green blood, still fresh as it painted the floor of a nearly empty room of the Mana Temple.

Empty except the four Pokémon that laid in a heap. No… Their corpses laid in a heap.

“Water's above.” Turning away, I bit down on my paw to avoid vomiting and stumbled backward. It's been a while since death met with me, and I wasn't ready to meet it again.

The Frogadier behind me fell to his knees. A wasn't prepared either. Who could be? “No,” his dampened voice warbled. “Say it isn't so Lord. Tides be upon their souls.”

My heartbeat droned in my chest as I gathered the strength to glance at the bodies. A Joltik, a Dewpider, a Dwebble, and a Tarountula. White and black stripes on their scarves, with those two dark claws marks.

“Even those in Wicked Blow don't deserve death in such a place,” A cried as he clutched his side.

What was sanctity when tainted by death? I held my tongue and gave them one last look over. Three massive puncture wounds pierced through each of their bodies. Clean and precise. If one could call a killing ‘clean’.

As my eyes scanned the decorated walls around us the mosque rumbled. Once again, a bright yellow static crackled throughout the area, the aura of the powerful Pokémon even stronger than before. I shivered as the electricity finally finished its course and placed a paw on A-chan. That same Thunderclap.

If I shivered, A practically shook, his limbs trembling and eyes wide. The Frogadier grabbed my arm and sorta dragged me out of the room. Well, more like guided my steps. “Going,” he explained in a weak voice. “Away.”

“We have to find the status of the possible elemental key and lock of mana… Even if it's scary,” I reminded him, my voice wavering with each word.

A blinked as we made toward the entrance of the Mana Temple. “Libra, you still aren't good at this.”

“Good at what?”

“Keeping me calm.”

On the left were a pair of sandy foot steps. We needed to go. “Here,” I said and held up A's hand, I placed it in between my ears.

He patted my head and gradually stopped shaking. The Frogadier kept his webbed hand up there for a moment, his eyes locked on the path before us. “Fur is so therapeutic for us scaled-mon.”

I grinned and wagged my tail for a bit. “Any mon who says they don't like head pats, is wrong.”

“Anyway, we totally got this.” A brought his hands to his scarf and triangular Gold-rank badge.

I traced my badge too. “Yep.” There was a large room ahead. We took a couple of steps along the tiled floor, and I noticed smaller, more pointed footsteps also full of sand. The mosque wasn't some place to track dirt and debris through for crying out loud.

A and I wiped a bit of the sand on our feet onto a plain straw rug and hurried into the next room. Before us stood a massive set of sandy brick stairs, there was a portion that had smaller steps and then a different portion that had a slope. Each led up to a rest point, and connected to another set of stairs that led further up the Mana Temple.

I peered at the trailing ceiling above as I made the first move. The second my paw pads touched the brick stairs a jolt barreled through my whole being.“You know how I said we got this?”

The Frogadier also held onto the side of the stairs. “Yeah.”

“Well,” I said as I took another step. “I’m sorry for lying.”

“Lying!?”

I gripped onto the railing and stared at the next steps, my eyes wide. Small teal sparks trickled down the bricks and the second they stopped my heart once again sank into my chest. White lightning, no yellow lightning flashed before us, not a figment of my anxiety riddled mind but in the physical realm.

“Come on!” A called and pulled me up the stairs. I followed him step by step all the way toward the top. We stopped just before we could see the ground of the second floor. A shiver went through my spine once again.

This power belonged to a Pokémon. One with an extraordinary aura. A Myth or Legend.

While I stood locked with some sort of paralysis the stairs rumbled. Claws clattered gently on the path before us one step at a time. Who could it be?

One called a ‘Master’ by the Mana Temple voices.

A massive yellow paw graced the ground ahead, and then another. Before I or A managed to take a step back the Pokémon who's aura we felt finally was in view.

Zeraora. Not a small white one like Xuě, but the large yellow one; Master Zeraora.

“Greetings,” their slightly deep, yet light voice called. “I sent my power as a message to come get you. I am certain both of you would recognize it.”

The Zeraora's whiskers twitched as I glanced towards A.

Aura from all those years ago, even fiercer. They stood just above my new Lucario height, even taller thanks to the steps; firm lean muscles bound with energy and impossible strength. Holy Capricorn, such power. Water dripped out of the Frogadier's mouth while metal, probably tin and steel built up in my maw and arms. That's new . “Master Zeraora?” I asked.

“Do you wish to come up here?” Master Zeraora asked, tone deepening.

“Master Zeraora you're here?” I gasped before I sank to my knees.

A lowered himself down too. “It's really you, here in this Mana Temple?

They held their arms behind their back. “Yes, try not to be too frightened. I am not here to punish you, I am here to reward you and congratulate you.”

I lifted my head as my ears perked up. “You are?” I asked.

“Why of course.” Master Zeraora grinned. “For discovering your true calling as Guardians by venturing into this place.”

“You want us to come up there?”

“There is an elemental key and lock of mana that is waiting for your proper eyes.”

“I beg your pardon!?” My eyes shot open.

A pushed my shoulders back and forth. “Did you hear that Libra? It's actually here!”

“We're going to see it,” I cheered, “maybe even secure it under League protection ourselves!”

The Zeraora before us cleared their throat and stepped to the side of the stairwell, an invitation to arise. “Well we can discuss your new status, and the mana artifacts as well, all you have to do is come up the stairs."

“Aquarius of Waters true, thank you for this splash of blessings and great fortune.” I bowed.

A finished off the prayer. “May your waves inspire us all.”

I took a glance down the stairs. Should we bring up the Wicked Blow Pokémon? “Excuse me-”

Master Zeraora tapped a claw as they gave us a bit more room. We gotta move.

“Okay let's do it.”

We clambered up the final steps and made it to the second floor of the mosque. In the center of the room sat a small lectern. Up here was another mosaic, three of them all depicting Zodiac Taurus; this time there were Landorus designs along with the others. What a shame, the other half of Zodiac Taurus weren't represented here, rock-type Legendaries or Myths.

Further in the back I and A felt two faint auras. Before we got to check out more of the room. Master Zeraora snapped their claws. “In the presence of an elemental key and lock of mana, you truly have done your part as Guardians,” they said, a soft smile on their maw.

“It's here!?” I nearly shouted. Where? I scanned left and right but didn't see it.

A stuffed his hand into his mouth to not yell. “Right in this room?!”

Master Zeraora nodded. “Yes, you two are Sentinels gifted with the ability to venture inside Mana Temples for this very reason. To protect one of the most sacred mana artifacts of all time.”

“To protect them? Is that why we got like this?” A gestured at his new Frogadier body.

“It is a shame you and many others with dormant blood of the five Continents on the Celestial Hemisphere suffered such a fate,” Master Zeraora explained. “Devolution is a cruel punishment, hatching in the Water Continent of the Terrestrial Hemisphere is not a valid crime. Especially since you decided to come back unwittingly, not to forsake the land.”

I traced my chest spike and held out my paws. “And now?”

They spread out their claws, and a flicker of sparkling dust spiraled into their grasp. “The properties of the Mana Temple allow you to take in mana undisturbed from the Disruption and evolve once again. Although I am actually unsure how.”

“What is the type of the elemental key and lock of mana here Master Zeraora?” I asked.

“Both are electricity.”

“Really?” the Frogadier clapped his hands. “Then that means Rosario could have fixed it!”

“But this whole Mana Temple isn't Zodiac Capricorn themed at all.” I rubbed my neck.

“Hmm?” Master Zeraora's whiskers twitched.

“Er, Electrical Legendaries and Mythicals, Capricorn is how we call them from the Water Continent Master Zeraora,” A rambled. “Our names are Libra and Aquarius, of Team Blue Heroes, please forgive us for being so religious to others of honor!”

“Ah yes, the Zodiac naming culture. It is alright. How fitting that I was the Myth to find it here, in this Mana Temple dedicated to the earth and all ground energy.”

“Ground…” I started, my eyes wide. “Just like the soaked ground that reflected your power all those years ago.”

“You shall have to be specific to jog my thousand year memory, I am a tad seasoned.”

The Frogadier rubbed his arms with a shudder. “Just like when we rescued Young Master Xuě.”

Master Zeraora closed their eyes and whispered something to themself before they opened them. “I do not believe I saw you at that time. I have been more vigilant ever since, especially here in this Mystery Dungeon.”

Oh right! “Have you seen a strange Pikachu with teal eyes and grey fur on their head?” I asked.

“Or an Axew with dark green stripes?” A added. “We got separated from them in Brittlesand Sierra and don't know where those two are.”

Master Zeraora waggled a finger before they responded. “Before I give you an answer, I know they came into contact with those who have paid the price. I felt their energy.” All grew silent for a moment, Master Zeraora ran a claw through their fur before they sniffed. “The voices of the Mana Temple mentioned the price of blood, correct?” they questioned, eyes narrowing slowly.

“Yes Master Zeraora,” we replied.

“Well, I was one who brought this upon the land,” they grumbled. “My justice.”

Those who had paid the price? “Wait, Master Zeraora, what is your justice?” I gasped.

“Justice?” the Frogadier echoed, his orange eyes widening. “They were the one?”

They sighed softly, their brow furrowing slightly. “I did what I had to.”

“You did?” A asked.

Master Zeraora crossed their arms as a crackle of electricity came off them into the air. “The guilty will be punished,” they said, gaze firm.

“You really did that?” I questioned, and glanced at their claws. Those same claws…

“I asked them if they would leave Wicked Blow in order to tread the right path as Keepers,” they answered. “And the four gave unsatisfactory answers.”

“So you just did that.”

Master Zeraora gritted their teeth, fangs gleaming.“Being in Wicked Blow for any amount of time is the same as wanting a permanent Disruption. To aim to commit such actions in front of me, as a Myth under oath is to forfeit your life. You are lucky the ones you mentioned were not the same… Still foolish enough to punish.”

“Master Zeraora…” I held my stomach as my tail curled between my legs. “You killed those four Pokémon.”

“Of course, I gave them a choice,” they said. “To repent or suffer the consequences. Unholy Pokémon of Wicked Blow, tarnishing the name of Single Strike Urshifu's technique. Bringers of the Disruption. I am not soft like you in the League or in the Sentinels Union.”

A fidgeted, his gaze almost on the floor before he spoke. “I know they've probably done awful things, but they could have been rehabilitated.”

“Do you know what the Pokémon of Wicked Blow nearly did?” Master Zeraora growled out the question, their roar shaking the room. “What these Pokémon could have done if I had not come here? Did you know what they were going to do?!”

“No?” I whimpered, my ears flattened. “Was the key of mana already unlocked?”

“What were they going to do?” A added in a borderline mumble.

“These Pokémon of Wicked Blow were going to further harm your companions here.” They pointed to the side of the room.

There, low near a corner, lay Hatchet and Rosario. For a second my heart once again froze. What happened? By Kyrogre’s Rings. But the Axew and Pikachu’s chests slowly rose and fell, they were just knocked unconscious. Kyorge’s Rings held firm. Still a small bit of blood stained their fur and scales. The same strong Aura of Master Zeraora was on their bodies, seeping out the incapacitating wounds.

Master Zeraora wiped their eyes before they spoke. “Wicked Blow was going to use the Pikachu and Axew’s Ether Gem to do what they almost did.”

“What did Hatchet and Rosario almost do?” My query came out soft… I believed in them but they still failed?

They poked out their claws. “That Pikachu almost changed the Gears of Mana inside both the elemental key and the lock of electricity.”

“What!?” A-chan yelped.

“We told them the exact steps on how to secure the electric key and lock for Lugia's sake!” I groaned.

“After that, those in Wicked Blow were going to take that elemental key of electricity and unlock that Joltik,” Master Zeraora sighed. “Joltik was a Keeper, so they'd stay unlocked unlike you Sentinels. What do you think would happen to you and the others of this land?”

A raised his hand to answer. “We’d suffer major setbacks in the Disruptions Rehabilitation, more bloodshed, and havoc.”

Eyes narrow, they growled. “And much more, because of those Ether Gems ending up in the wrong grasp. These are pure collections of mana, which slept inside hidden Ether Shrines far into or above the earth. Ether Gems are used for a variety of Mana Artifacts. You need a Slate of the Forgotten, contact with an Ether Gem or an abundance of power, such as mine to reach an Ether Shrine.”

“That's right!” I shouted, before I lowered my voice. “My apologies, Hatchet and Rosario do have two Ether Gems.”

“What were they going to do with the gems?” the Frogadier asked, and ran a hand in his bubbles.

Master Zeraora took in a breath. “They were about to temporarily ruin the elemental lock and key of electricity, making it more difficult for us to solve this Disruption. That cannot be allowed, so as the ones deemed guilty, they were punished.”

“I understand,” I sighed. I still don't understand why they had to be so violent. But what can I say, I knocked out Wicked Blow Pokémon today with only a few questions asked. Am I really much better? Though the Rescue Team Federation is coming to collect them, alive.

Master Zeraora nodded. “It is regrettable that that happened.”

“Thank you for sparing Rosario and Hatchet,” A sighed.

“You may revive these two,” they said before they let out a breath. “I wish to speak with them and unfortunately I do not have any Reviver Seeds on my person.”

“Understood Master Zeraora,” we replied.

Master Zeraora softened up and looked at us. "I never got the chance to say it before, but thank you. You and your other companions, who are also special mind you- saved Young Master Zeraora. My child… My daughter Xuě."

Special huh? Team Sharp Claw were called Fangs of the Fallen I suppose. I've heard about those three with the black testing swords just once, and it was alright. We can't celebrate without them being mentioned, I guess. “Your welcome, it was an honor,” I replied as I bowed at the waist.

A also bowed. “Many thanks, we had such an incredible experience.” The Frogadier crouched to the ground and pulled our Rescue Team bag open. I dropped down to stretch while he searched for the Reviver Seeds. I stood back up just as A held out the two yellow-beige seeds, spirals of green healing energy strong underneath the shells. Forcing me to waste such precious items and for what? These two are worse than the Team Sharp Claw from five years ago and then some. Can't trust Keepers to do anything.

We walked over to Hatchet and Rosario, and I grimaced as I stepped into something that didn't belong on the floor. For their sake I won't mention it. My only sympathy. Nevertheless I crushed the Reviver Seeds into the mouth of Hatchet and then Rosario.

Slowly, the Axew and the Pikachu stirred awake from their slumber and I stepped away, nearly crashing into A. The Frogadier squealed as my paw stamped on his foot. “Libra!”

“Sorry.” I tapped his shoulder.

With a cough, Rosario’s dark teal eyes fluttered open while Hatchet sat himself upright.

“Hey guys,” I said.

A held a hand over the two Pokemon’s shoulders. “We finally caught up. Are you okay?”

“What?” the Axew flinched. He staggered upright and fell against the wall for a moment.

The Pikachu beside him also moved away, only to stumble on the floor. “Who are you?”

“It’s me, Libra,” I explained and held out my striped League scarf and Gold-rank badge.

“And how could you guys forget me?” the Frogadier practically shoved his scarf and badge into Rosario and Hatchet’s faces.

Quick as the wind, I grabbed his arm and yanked it away. “You don’t have to do that-”

“Aquarius?” Rosario gasped.

A groaned and backed away. “To you not quite.” He fiddled with his bubbles before he pouted. “Eh whatever, yes we’re here and well, we evolved.”

Hatchet glanced over us and cowered down. “I can’t believe it.”

“What do you mean?” the Pikachu crossed their arms with a laugh. “Libra and Aqua -er A, were supposed to be this way; a Lucario and a Frogadier.”

I cleared my throat. “That’s not important right now. You two got knocked out by Master Zeraora.”

“You are in my very presence at this moment,” Master Zeraora said as they finally approached.

Borderline whimpering messes, Hatchet and Rosario shrunk even further against the wall.

“I’m disappointed in you guys,” A put, his voice lowering. “How hard was it to follow some fucking directions!?”

The Pikachu opened their mouth but I held my paw in front of them. “No, I don’t wanna hear anything. You’re Keepers,” I growled. “Rosario, all you had to do was secure the key and lock of mana that was right in your paws.”

“Hatchet, if you didn't know, you could have locked it back too!” the Frogadier shoved the Axew. “All Keepers can secure the keys and locks, it only has to be the same type of Pokémon and elemental key of mana for unlocking someone.”

I bit back a snarl before I spoke. “You point the key at the lock! Not at the ceiling, not at the wall, and certainly not at yourself!”

A slammed his foot down when Hatchet scooted to the side. “We also knew you kept on going on about ferals and how you don’t care about your Keeper responsibilities. When we go back to the League you are getting a referral.”

Rosario and Hatchet’s eyes widened. “How-”

“Silence!” I growled.

The Pikachu and the Axew jumped further against the wall, their aura spiraling.

“Master Zeraora didn’t even have to tell us,” I explained. “We just know; what other reason would make you behave in such ways?”

Out of nowhere, Master Zeraora placed a claw on my shoulder and I sighed. Almost scared the daylights outta me! Th ey then pointed toward the stairs. “Unfortunately I did have the displeasure of hearing all of their complaints, so yes, the Lucario and the Frogadier are correct.”

Rosario flinched while Hatchet fiddled with his claws.

“I shall give them the slightest credit, they protected the elemental key and lock from the clutches of Wicked Blow.”

As their cheeks flushed the Pikachu's ears folded. “Only barely.”

“Yes,” Master Zeraora said. “I am aware you two only won this encounter because you had the slightly strengthened power of boosted moves at your disposal.”

“They did?” The Frogadier questioned.

“This Pikachu and this Axew have been unlocked by a curious force, and a nefarious force.”

A curious and a nefarious force? What does that mean? “So they were unlocked?” I gasped. “I had a feeling something was off about them.”

“I knew ever since Flight and Talon, of the Sentinels Union mind you, told me,” Rosario sighed and waved a paw. “On a whim the Noctuowl and Dartrix took me through an Ether Shrine, and we found these cyan and magenta Ether Gems.”

“Fer Mew’s sake, I can’t be, I-” Hatchet clung onto his chest.

“Be quiet,” I barked, my throat raw.

Slowly, Master Zeraora blinked. “Only unlocked Keepers would be this sensitive in the presence of a key and lock of mana, especially one that corresponds with their elemental typing.”

A rubbed underneath his chin. “So that's why they freaked out even in the Mystery Dungeons below Needlemaw Peak.”

Instead of always having something to say, Hatchet and Rosario nodded.

“Do not think that being unlocked is an excuse for your behavior,” Master Zeraora roared. Their sky-blue eyes gleamed like daggers. “I have watched you from the moment you stepped onto clay colored soil, even before the Mystery Dungeons. Those with a firm heart and mind shall remain stalwart even with aggregates in their presence.” Master Zeraora paused for a moment. “Interference was only necessary once this Pikachu nearly acted out ignorantly! In all Mana Artifacts there are Gears of Mana, and they can be changed with just the pathetic will of a Pokémon and an Ether Gem they barely deserve.”

Barely deserve? They paused for a second, and slowly the air chilled bit by bit. In their left claw an object came into view. Small in their massive grasp, a yellow jagged lightning bolt shaped metallic key and a similarly designed lock. The elemental key and lock of electricity. Mana key and lock right before my eyes.

Master Zeraora snapped their claws and the Mana Artifacts disappeared from view. They slowly turned over to the side. “For such actions I should have slain you right where you stood!” Before I even blinked, both Hatchet and Rosario had three sharp claws, bristling with the might of a Myth pressing against their chests.

What in Volcanian's depths is going on?

“Help!” Rosario screamed, tears streaking down their face.

Hatchet wasn't much better, sobs wracked his body. “I'm sorry. I'm so sorry,” he pleaded.

Master Zeraora stood over them with both paws extended, each of their blade-like claws pressed into flesh and fur. Bright teal and yellow ripples of energy pulsed up and down their whole body, primed to strike.

This flood of aura pierced through my being and I dropped to the ground. Oppressive power overwhelmed my senses almost in full. “M-Master Zeraora please reconsider!” I begged, stumbling to rest on my knees.

“How shall I reevaluate this Pikachu and Axew?” they asked, their tone dripping in seething rage. “HOW?!”

A coughed as he staggered up to a knee as well. “Perhaps we could have the Chief of our League, McBone Stoutland, contact you in the following weeks Master Zeraora?”

They flickered an ear his way and scowled. “What shall I be receiving? Worthy enough to spare the ignorant, disrespectful, and asinine from my judgment?”

“A report of improvement, in the matters which displeased you the most. And continual advances in areas that you are satisfied in,” I added, my tail lodged firm in between my legs. Holy Volcanian, waters rush.

Master Zeraora let out a deep breath as they peered the four of us over. “I believe trust was placed into your League once.”

“I apologize deeply for their actions,” I cried. “They haven't learned proper protocol under direction of our Chief and Coordinator.”

“Especially in our short absence,” A said. “These two have had some troubling experiences recently, please forgive them.”

Their whiskers flickered as they slowly slouched. “I shall not give you a reminder of what happened, so I shall have to have frequent meetings and catch-ups with those who have eyes on you.”

“Yes Master Zeraora,” I replied, so quickly I almost bit my tongue.

As I flinched they smirked a tad bit. “Now do not believe this alone is adequate for such selfish actions: aiming to unlock oneself before securing the Mana Artifacts.”

“What do you desire Master Zeraora?!” A gasped as their claws sparked.

Master Zeraora leaned away and folded their arms behind their back. “What do I desire?” they asked back. Perhaps not a question for us to answer, but for them.

Hatchet and Rosario, now free from their massive claws, collapsed forward into stifled bouts of coughing and wheezing.

“Are you okay?!” I cried before I rushed toward them. They trembled in my arms, catching their breath gradually.

Rosario wiped their eyes and hacked up a bit of phlegm. “By Kyreum's frost no, not really.”

“No,” Hatchet sobbed. “This’s unbelievable.”

“I was never going to kill this Pikachu and Axew,” Master Zeraora sighed, and once again materialized the key and lock of mana.

A held on tight to the Axew and the Pikachu as they stood. “You weren't?” he gasped, before he added. “Master Zeraora?”

“No, by the will and oath of Leader Cresselia and Leader Darkrai I was sent to fearmonger good behavior among Keepers.”

I tilted my head.“The will of the Legendary Dream and Nightmare Leaders?”

“Chief McBone read a letter from them a few days ago, before we went to Scorpio Sands,” A reminded.

Master Zeraora grumbled, their fangs glistening with static. “Of course trying to misuse the artifacts in front of me is a serious offense and these two must be punished.”

“My apologies.” I bowed at the waist once again.

They placed the lock of electricity on the floor and then slotted the key of electricity inside, but didn't turn it. “I shall set the Gears of Mana inside to ‘Neutral’, this is compared to the ‘Futurist’ it once was. Also compared to the dangerous state ‘Primal’, the Pikachu almost changed it to,” they explained. “But not lock back this elemental key and lock of mana.”

So those are the names of a few of the states the Gears of Mana can go to. Leader Magearna mentioned a possible fourth though? I guess they don't even know it.

Rosario let out a deep breath as their aura flickered for a moment. “Thank you.”

State reset of the key and lock of mana alone, and they felt better? Incredible.

“Master Zeraora?'' The Frogadier held his scarf. “You are not going to reset all the unlocked electric-type Pokémon of this Hemisphere?”

“No.”

“I don't know much about this land,” Rosario ran a paw through their chest fur. “But I don't want to suffer through this ‘unlocked status’ anymore… Master Zeraora.”

If being unlocked is a sin that caused the Disruption then what is the point? How can being unlocked help the League? I sighed. “Forcing these two and many others, on our side, and the ones against us in Wicked Blow or otherwise, to stay unlocked is unfair Master Zeraora.”

“I have not asked for your opinion in this matter,” they growled. “Mana Artifacts are under my jurisdiction.”

My vision went blurry as I took a step back, paws out. I guess they partially blamed us for this. No, not us, but me. I'm always such a failure, even in front of a Myth of great power. “Master Zeraora, my apologies.”

Hatchet took in a shuddering breath, “I understand Master Zeraora. Please continue.”

“I believe you both can learn to control your unlocked powers, emotions, and sensitivities,” Master Zeraora said as they softened their tone, but it still chilled me. “Be aware of your overwhelming Keeper elemental-type presence, but I feel that you may find yourself in a situation soon that lets you focus on something else.”

Rosario held their paws together. “Just like trying to find my… My friends, I will try.”

“Perhaps you two shall be able to succeed like that one said.”

“That one Master Zeraora?” the Pikachu asked.

“I believe it is time for me to leave this Mana Temple and this Mystery Dungeon,” Master Zeraora said and stepped away. “There is another exit over this way.” Their claw tips pointed to the far corner of the mosque's inner prayer chamber, toward an ornate. laborate golden and silver doors, smaller than the set at the front of the Mana Temple.

Without another word, we gathered our bearings for a moment.

I flipped open one of our Adventure Guide books to a blank page. Then I filled it in with my charcoal pencil. ‘Mana Temple, at the top of Needlemaw Peak Mystery Dungeon, Floor 4. One dedicated to Legendaries: Groudon, Zygarde, and Landorus. Artifact Status: Present, Elemental key and lock of mana, Type: electricity. Custody: Pokémon of Myth, Master Zeraora.’

A glanced it over and flashed me a thumbs up. I closed the notebook and placed it down into the team bag gently. A clapped his hands “Alrighty let's get out of here.”

With the others trailing behind us we went towards the exit. Wonder when I'll see one of these places again. Hopefully soon it's my job as a Guardian to go there and help Keepers so it should be soon.

We all stepped out of the area and back and into the mountain.

“Once this Pikachu and Axew take down a Head Captain of Wicked Blow, and I receive a good word from your administrators and those you come in contact with, I will return with what I promised and much more,” Master Zeraora said.

What a hefty promise.

“Will I be able to lock the key and lock of electricity myself Master Zeraora?” the Pikachu asked, their dark teal eyes sparkling.

“By will of Leader Cresselia, Leader Darkrai, and Lady Arceus mayhaps,” they replied.

Lady Arceus? “Thank you Master Zeraora,” we said, Rosario and Hatchet even bowed this time.

“Let's really go,” A added.

Once we finally stepped into Needlemaw Peak’s sandy floor it happened in an instant. I fell a little, tumbling in my stride quickly. I glanced down to my arms and found two tiny spikes. “What? What just happened?”

“We're down again,” A remarked, in a higher more familiar- No, no, nonononono!

I gasped as my heart raced. Before us a dull yellow wave of energy pulsed toward the earth. My eyes widened as I glanced toward the floor. I was a Riolu once again and A was back to being a Froakie. “You cannot be for real!” I screamed.

Hatchet sighed as he glanced up over us. “Oh wow, y'all don't get to be bigger anymore.”

“Wow what a shame,” Rosario shook their head. “That sucks.”

“Why yes,” Master Zeraora held a claw back toward the sealed cavern. The Mana Temple was gone from view. Guess it's only one way in. “Unfortunately you two have devolved again.”

“How?” A cried, and ran a hand over the new dark blue markings on his shoulders and neck. “I mean I feel stronger, and am still at Frogadier height but why?”

“You are no longer in the presence of a Mana Temple. Thus you are not performing your duty as Guardians.”

“At least it didn't hurt,” I laughed with a grimace. My muscles flexed with each breath I took, and I ran a paw on my new patch of yellow and black fur.

“Wait a minute,” the Froakie below me gasped. In his hands held a longer, more cape-like collection of white bubbles. “Why didn't it hurt this time?”

“Because you have received your true power from the Mana Temple,” Master Zeraora said, “it can now be activated once you enter another Mana Temple again, thus no pain upon returning.” They then hurried ahead, into another room of the Mystery Dungeon.

Guess they got tired of us. “Yeah,” I sighed as I played with my extra small new tassels. “We can't stay like this forever.”

“Back to the League,” A groaned. “We’ve got lengthy reports to do, no thanks to you two.”

“Why are you acting like you're better than us?” Rosario asked, their half heart, half slanted tail twitching. “Like seriously, you care so much about all this Keeper stuff when you aren't even Keepers.

“That's just how League culture is,” I explained. “We all care about recovering and researching the Mana Artifacts, just like how we care about fighting Wicked Blow.”

A pointed to his badge. “The Disruption was caused by Sentinels and Keepers and important positions not doing their job,” he then glared at Rosario. “But the most important part was caused by Keepers.”

“And y’all are drilling that into us because?” The Axew crossed his arms.

“You two will join the League and will have work to do work on one of our Rescue Teams,” I said. “You should be prepared to be held accountable for all of your actions.”

“Yeah yeah I get it,” Rosario groaned. “Flight and Talon told me that-” The Pikachu's eyes narrowed. “Wait a minute, now that I think about it, how did you know about them?”

“Uh… We've met before.”

“But they're in the Sentinels Union. Also, why did you call me a pathetic human? I didn't even tell you.”

“You have the dark grey pattern on yur fur,” Hatchet called. “Just like Kobi does, it seems like all former humans do.”

Shoot, Leader Cresselia and Leader Darkrai told us all about your pasts, but not how to pull this off. I grimaced before I gave my response.“Sorry about that, really. You know how I said you don't have the right to judge me as a Sentinel? I don't really have the right to judge you as a Pokemon trainer either or as a human, even if you're a Pikachu now.”

“Really?”

“Yes. I'm sorry for losing my temper earlier after that Monster House,” I said, before I held out my paws. “I shouldn't have said that. Can you forgive me?”

“Sure, you didn't really answer the question though.”

“I’ll tell you later.” I waved them off, my ears folding.

“What?!” they groveled. “But I need to know! You're Pokémon…”

Hatchet, A, and I gave them a glare.

The Pikachu gripped their arm tight. “I mean in a good way! Please work with me here!”

I just shook my head and trudged forward. “We have to leave Needlemaw Peak and get back to Bristberg.”

“It won't exactly be easy,” A groaned into his small arms, hopping more and more to keep up.

Hatchet nodded. “Fine with me. I'm tired and need some rest.”

“Okay,” Rosario droned.

They and Hatchet fell in line behind me as we ventured through the sandy hallways. I held us higher up the Mystery Dungeon, my paws sore against the hardening stone. Eventually we made it out Needlemaw Peak. The massive clay, orange colored mountain range finally bested. I can't believe it. Right here in the Electro Sun Mountains, the elemental key and lock of mana was hiding just behind those walls. Ones carefully constructed and hidden via the ancients. Up Twistbolt Foot, up Brittlesand Sierra, lodged right up inside Needlemaw Peak.

We continued through the slightly twisting open air mountain pathways, all the while it seemed like those two were a bit comfortable. Like they forgot that they got us in this mess in the first place. So comfortable in fact, the Pikachu whistled. A long, ear-shattering melody, so high-pitched it nearly drove me insane.

“That’s really loud,” I said and gently nudged Rosario.

The Pikachu hummed before they stopped. “Sorry, forgot about the hearing.”

“How do you forget?” I sighed.

Hatchet chuckled, before he patted their shoulder. “Rosario just isn’t used to being a Pokemon yet, they’re acting just like Kobi when she first came here five years ago. Not a proper Domestic yet, little Stray.”

“Excuse me?”

“Ay!” The Froakie pushed the Axew to the side. “Don't forget, I remember what you said about us. Hatchet.”

“Sorry,” Hatchet held his claws close to his tusks. “I really shouldn't have said all that stuff ‘bout ferals.”

“And about Strays,” the Pikachu spat.

“The item shipments weren't even here in the first place. Billy- and, no. Billard and Clarence were wrong.”

“You'd say all sorts of awful things on the hunch of that?” A yelled. “Do you even know the name of the Rescue Team you are supposed to be joining?”

“Got no clue… I just got a letter tellin’ me ta come to the Bristberg League from a ‘Committee’ or else.”

“It’s Sharp Claw,” I explained. “Do you know who's on that Rescue Team?”

The Axew counted on his claws before he shook his head. “No I do not.”

“What do you think they would do if they saw you?” The Froakie asked.

“You know they are over there, working hard,” I growled, as my ears flattened. “And you took away their chance to recover some Mana Artifacts.”

“Well uh-”

The entire mountain side we were beside rumbled. It seemed especially brittle and I wasn't exactly sure what was happening.

“I don't know,” Hatchet said and rubbed the back of his head. “I hope they won't be too mad.”

“What about you Rosario?”

“I'm sorry,” the Pikachu mumbled. "For my friends I need to do better, I just don't know and-” The rocks shook again, the strong rumbling from the outside.

“What is going on?” Mana rushed into my whole body, my eyes wide.

“The mountain’s collapsing!” A shouted.

I pulled Rosario and Hatchet behind me as my tassels flared. Aura ! “What?!”

Large pieces of stone scattered about fell around us. Light from outside the Mystery Dungeon, bathing us and its warm glow despite the setting sun. “How did this happen?” A called through the cloud of dust.

Slowly it parted and I noticed three oddly familiar auras. Pokémon did this. The source of it all, three small figures.

Once they caught sight of us, one pulled out a huge bladed object. The three pointed boomerang thing was massive, much taller than the three Pokémon.

Are they brigands? Aura flooded to my paws. “Who are you-”

“Wait a second!” Hatchet yelped as he pointed a claw forward.

It's still dusty! I grumbled as I stared at them closer. The three Pokémon had on gear; scarves, and bags. Could still be Wicked Blow.

“Hold it!” one of them shouted.

More of the dust cleared and I saw the three striped League scarves and badges on them. Light blue, dark green, and grey: Bristberg League! They were a Treecko, a Charmander and a Totodile. “These guys are Team Sharp Claw!?” I gasped and nearly fell over.

“Team Blue Heroes! Why are you guys here?” Linus shouted. “Hatchet?”

“Linus?” the Axew shot toward him, as fast as he could.

“Can't believe my freaking eyes!” the Totodile cheered. “Libra, A-san, you guys look a little different.”

The Charmander shot out a jet of steam and they jumped up and down. “Isn't it crazy how we met you here?”

A laughed as he walked over to the three. “Yeah that's wild!”

“Why did you guys fall?” I asked.

The Treecko pried himself off his brother, with a smile. “This glaive kept on shakin’ as we got closer to you all.”

“And he bashed it into the wall to see if this was a shortcut,” Glade laughed before she swiped it from his grasp. “I'll do it better next time!”

I tilted my head. “Shortcut?”

“Linus said that we should split up from the others to check it out,” Nevada added.

“Oh my!” Master Zeraora's voice echoed out from the pathway before us.

Nevada flinched and held onto Linus. “Who?”

In a flash, Master Zeraora shot over behind us. I thought they'd left, Holy Lugia! They approached Team Sharp Claw and held their claws towards the three bladed weapon lying on the floor. It had holes shaped like Ether Gems in its ‘handles’, how interesting. “You have one of the Mana Regalia!”

“Wait?” the Charmander gasped, as Glade held onto their arm. Linus grabbed their other claw.

“Is that Master Zeraora!?” The three yelled.

“Yes,” they replied, ears low. “Greetings Fangs of the Fallen.”

“You wish to speak with us?” I stepped in front of them.

“I will keep things brief.” Master Zeraora nodded. "You three are performing your duties as Sentinels very well. Thank you for your service in the Wei Region with my child.”

Team Sharp Claw bowed their heads. “It was an honor Master Zeraora.”

“Regardless, you have one of the Mana Regalia, which can help solve the Disruption by returning stolen mana to the land from unlocked Keepers, like this Pikachu and Axew.”

Linus's eyes widened. “That’s why the glaive was drawn to that Starmie on the way to New Withered Savannah and even here?”

“Hatchet and… Whoever that is, are freaking unlocked?!” Glade shouted.

“I’m not a ‘whoever that is’ you idiot!” Rosario shot back.

“Then who the voids are you-”

“Shut up!” I roared. The Totodile and the Pikachu were quiet as red fighting-type mana swirled around my fists. Even Master Zeraora went silent. “Oh.” Warmth flushed my muzzle as my eyes gazed over their figure. “My apologies.”

“Do not fret, however you and your League companions must complete my mission if you wish to secure this.” They held up the key and lock of electricity. Still as beautiful as the first time I saw it, a real bonafide Mana Artifact. “Defeat a Head Captain of Wicked Blow and conduct proper behavior.”

“There’s an elemental key and lock of mana here?” Glade gasped.

Nevada’s tail flame shot out as they shook her shoulders. “That means there’s probably a Mana Temple too!”

Master Zeraora cleared their throat. “I believe I've seen all I need to.”

“You have?” A asked, his orange eyes wide.

“Farewell.” Master Zeraora clapped their claws and launched up through the hole in the mountain in a teal blur of light. Such speed ! Just as fast as they came, they were gone.

“Farewell?” I waved. I glanced back to Team Sharp Claw. What was previously four of us was now seven. Was it right to get Wei Forest vibes now?

Linus tapped my arm.“What happened in those Mystery Dungeons?”

“You can ask later,” I groaned. “We need to go to Bristberg.”

“Could some of our team do reconnaissance? We did some back in New Withered Savannah so we figured we could do some here too.”

A sighed as Rosario and Hatchet fidgeted. “We don't have that much time, but if you hurry.”

“Sure thang.”

“Let me call Chief McBone, now that we’re leaving. Got a lot to report.” I rummaged through the team bag and pulled out a large blue ball. The Connection Orb would be much faster than my badge. And with Team Sharp Claw here, mentioning ‘the others’, time was of the essence. We've got quite the work to do, and we're not even close to finished.

Note
And in Interlude fashion we change how the POVs function. We are dropping down to just two POVs: Linus and Kobi.​

Chapter 26- Part 1 Settling Dust New

Kiba Makuro

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Originally Posted September 21st, 2024

Chapter Summary
Kobi and the others try to reconvene and cheer up after Marshadow's attack. They go to the final seminar but what else is waiting alongside the new developments in the Rehabilitation?

Kobi Espurr's POV

Morning at the Moonlight Hotel came like it usually did. However, after that attempt on our lives, I'm surprised it did. The toll yesterday took on Makkuro, Master Fang, and Master Hunter was immense, but what was even greater was the suffering that Doran went through. He probably believed it was all his fault.

Even if it's for something stupid, I couldn’t help but feel the same way, but for a different reason. This trip to Saltwater Cliffs became a nightmare so quickly, and my tongue didn't help at all.

Master Fang wasn’t in our hotel room. The Lycanroc was probably out getting ready for another busy day, so it was fine.

As I glanced at Master Hunter in this oddly silent morning, the Boltund's iris shrank. They looked away from me as they gathered some items in their saddle bag. Instead of completely avoiding me however, she approached. Ears and tail low, sadness?

“Morning Kobi,” the Boltund said, before they cleared their throat. That ever same Hoennian and Kantoian mix of an accent was pleasant on the ears.

I turned away from her yellow-green eyes and nodded. “Good Morning Master Hunter.” My reaction to finding out that one of her partners, Kuroshi, a Hisuian Arcanine, was a former human hadn’t been best. And my follow-up response to the knowledge that it was Wicked Blow, the Committee, and some other group of Pokémon that killed him and many of Team Vanguard was tantamount to pure rubbish.

Like why in the blazes did I say ‘Fuck’ to that. Really? Was that all I had?

Master Hunter finally got my attention again with a cough. “I'd like to apologize for my outburst yesterday, it was rude of me. Unprofessional as well.”

With a grimace, I met her gaze once again. “I-”

I apologize for our behavior Master Hunter,” a voice, Doran's cut me off.

What? As much as I tried to stop it, confusion marred my face.

“Our unlocked Keeper presences put so much pressure, figuratively and literally, on you and Master Fang,” the Kubfu continued, his witty tone deepening.

“Thank you very much, Doran,” Master Hunter replied. “I’m still sorry about yesterday. Of course, all of that is what Fang and I signed up for when we took all of you into our care. You three aren't burdens, especially dealing with so much.”

None of us here chose to be unlocked. To have a part in causing or continuing the Disruption with our every breath. Not even Master Hunter and Master Fang. I wonder when they were unlocked?

“Uh, Morning,” another voice- Makkuro's, called out weakly. The Rockruff made his way over with hesitant steps, staring between us.

“Good morning Makkuro,” Master Hunter said in a gentle bark, their tail wagging.Must be the Rockruff bias, scoring slight favors.

Makkuro took a deep breath before he spoke. “I’m sorry too. I don’t know what’s been up with me lately, but I’ll respect your boundaries to the best of my abilities.”

I shook my head and got in between everyone. The three other Pokémon tilted their heads, muzzles of varying lengths all in different shades of confusion. “You all shouldn't have to do all the heavy liftin’,” I explained. “You and I are a Dream Mark pair. Grow and learn from each other, by the will of Leader Cresselia and Leader Darkrai.”

Makkuro's eyes traced the floor as he sighed.“ A pair, Kobi.”

“What?”

“You can't handle it all either, we're in this together.” He paused as his tone wavered. “...But I feel bad.”

It's a partnership. I followed his gaze for a moment before I turned away with my question. “Why’s that?”

“I still haven’t controlled my moves’ strength despite our training.”

“This takes time, Makkuro,” the Boltund across from us sighed. “Kobi, you also shouldn't feel burdened.”

“It's hard,” I cried out, my body deflating. Makkuro and I've learned but we haven't done anything to help the Disruption with our own paws yet.

“Ay Tapu,” the Rockruff groaned as they stretched. “Our attempt to train yesterday did get interrupted, I guess. We'll have a fresh start today.”

Master Hunter chuckled a bit.“That's more like it.”

I shook my head. “But I have more experience and they're ma Dream Mark, it isn't right for me ta be slackin’.”

Doran smirked that same incorrigible smirk. “Yer accents slippin’ Cold Crown.”

“You never explained what a ‘Cold Crown’ is, Doran.” Master Hunter added before they blinked between us.

Makkuro groaned an uneasy breath.“Just one of Doran's unfunny jokes.”

“You call where Ca- another great one, was first spotted a joke?”

Not the Calyrex mention. Doran always talked about Crown Tundra, Galar, where I was from. A growl rumbled through my throat. Could Doran not mention anything from the world of Pokémon Trainers for one day? “Can someone get him to stay his maw?”

“Today's a day I'm going by they.”

A couple of sighs rang out in the room like harrowed, tired bells.

Master Hunter rubbed their paw against their muzzle.“I think we should get some breakfast.”

“Agreed.”

As it turns out, that wish was a command, and the four of us ended up in the Moonlight Hotel’s dining hall. Because this building catered to the average Pokémon, it had to be large, no, massive. Tables, chairs and stools of various sizes occupied the center, whereas the outskirts of the hall were lined with sofas, and what looked like nests.

Toward the back table stood Master Fang, with an interesting device on their sides. Some sort of metal tray, basket-like contraption. On it sat various plates, food piled on top. Pancakes, dumplings of some sort, and eggs of all types. Besides that there were berries large and small, muffins, and breads. All in that basket.I guess that's how a quadruped Pokémon could carry a few dishes by themselves, still looked cumbersome. “Morning all,” the Lycanroc greeted, their blue eyes full of vibrant warmth.

“Hi darling,” Master Hunter replied, their tongue peeking out of their maw. “Is everything ready?”

Master Fang shook their head as they gestured toward a large square table, one low to the ground. “Almost.”

My stomach growled and a whine slipped out my throat. The others' eyes drifted toward me. “Almost?”

“Just in time!” a familiar peppy voice called around the corner and Fist, along with Pride and their apprentices entered the dining room.

“We know you had a stressful time yesterday, so we thought this would cheer you up before the last big meeting!” Pride added and gestured to Smeargle, or Kehinde, Morpeko, Aron, and Impidimp.

But they weren't alone, that same mouth watering scent of buttery, flaky-

“Alright over there Kobi?” Doran's elbow gently rubbed my shoulder.

Fist had a box full of pastries from that wonderful store beside the Black Castle. My once hated Espurr nose picked up the scent of biscuits, crepes, donuts, and cookies. All for… I snapped back to the others as a bit of drool trickled down my maw. My cheeks warmed with a flush and I nodded.

“We don't have too long before the event starts so let's dig in!” Master Fang cheered as they sat down on one of the cushions, that cumbersome contraption now gone.

“Ah yeah!” We all yelled back, some of our calls louder than others.

A Ledian hotel staffer glanced our way from the kitchen. He pointed to the collection of chairs, cushions and sofas behind us: even though it was only a little, there were a few other customers here this morning. Who shot glares our way. Drat. Pride, and the Boltund across from her quickly padded over to the other guests. The Pyroar bowed her head as she apologized profusely to a Dewgong. “My sincerest apologies for our loudness-”

“No it's okay.”

“But it really isn't.”

“I understand youth sports and the like.”

Youth sports huh? “No but-”

All the while, Master Hunter offered the others some of our meal and before they left, and set the probable leftovers on another large table.

Makkuro, Doran, Master Hunter, and I sat in a semi-circle around Master Fang with generous helpings of food on our bowls and plates thanks to the Primeape on the other side. I was ever grateful in her hands.

“Enjoying your meal this time?” the Lycanroc asked.

Doran pumped their fist and cheered. “Yeah!”

“Really now Doran?” Makkuro questioned before he took a couple of slow sips. I'd call them laps, but he still tried to act like a human even as a Rockruff.

The Kubfu nodded.“Anything's better than the grub I had scavengin’.”

“Oh right,” I gasped through a maw full of berries. While I lived in Hunter's Plains with my Meowstic and Espeon parents and then with Hatchet and Linus's family, Doran was a wandering vagrant.

All alone, for seven years. Well that can't be true, they just haven't told us more of their past yet.

The Kubfu gingerly took a forkful of eggs and berries into their maw and chewed, their rich brown eyes… Why did I look so hard? They stared at the Lycanroc and Boltund. “Thank you, Master Hunter, Master Fang.”

Both sets of ears perked up to the mention, with the Boltund first to reply. “You're quite welcome, though I didn't plan this.”

“Fist and I did,” the Lycanroc explained, a frown soon growing on their muzzle. “Last night after, well.”

Their bodies turned away, all went toward me. For Zamazenta’s sake, why.

“I'm sorry for not helping calm down Hunter,” Master Fang said, a rattle in their throat. “I didn't realize telling you guys about our family and kids would be a sensitive subject.”

“Once again, I shouldn't have let my feelings out with my presence,” Master Hunter sighed.

“We have our monitoring bands so it's fine, right?” Doran asked.

“Wrong,” the Boltund chided, from what I can tell mostly at herself.

The next question was another simple one. “Wrong?”

“Yes. Anyways, Doran I'm glad you're actually feeling better,” Master Fang said, turning away slightly.

“Actually?”

Master Hunter nodded.“Yeah, you were putting on a mask yesterday. Am I correct?”

“You've caught me.” The Kubfu's massive eyebrows twitched as the two Pokémon focused on them.

“For Kobi and Makkuro's sake, you don't need to do that.”

“Huh?” the Rockruff gasped.

Why me?

“Well-”

I couldn’t continue listening and dug into some cinnamon buns. Why did I have to ruin the moment again and again?

It's not even about me. This always happens, first with Hatchet and his asshole cousins, and now with Doran and with Master Hunter's family life. Within this world I can only pretend to fit in. Different time, different place, same meddling Espurr who can't-

“You want some more waffles, Kobi?”

I peered up from my nearly empty plate and noticed Fist. She had a few warm pieces in hand, basically dangling in front of my face. This Primeape… Really cared. “You're sharin’ with me?”

“The Sentinels Union has gotta stick together, Kobi!” Fist replied, a grin bright on her face. “Even with our differences, we can't help it if we make mistakes every once and a while.”

I took a bite of the waffle and grabbed a Razz berry. “Yeah, because of our differences. We're stronger together.”

“All to end the Disruption,” Pride added.

The Primeape clapped her hands gently as a smile lit up her face.“Another branch found a lead on where an elemental key and lock of mana is, but we've got quite a few Mystery Dungeons nearby to search.”

“Really?” I asked, my eyes widening.

“It could be soon.”

My tail thrashed. “I might get a chance to see a mana artifact!?” I set out on this trip and now we're finally making progress!

“Enough about that!” Makkuro put another pastry onto my plate.

I glanced back toward the food and noticed the rapidly lowering sweet supply. “Huh?”

Smeargle laughed as she held up a Rawst and Bluk berry crepe. “While you were chatting, we were snacking!”

With a grunt, I shoved a tiny chocolate-chip filled pancake into my maw and continued eating. Normally, this many breaded foods was bad for one’s health, but these? Packed with so many fruits and proteins that it hardly tasted sweet... Humans couldn't figure out how to make these taste good but here Pokémon made do.

Soon we were finished with our meal, and our two groups went back to our rooms. When we got ready to go to Leader Magearna's Domain and outside the hotel in general, Doran stayed out of my fur for once. and was oddly silent. I could never tell what they're thinking, that strange Kubfu. Unpredictability is more of a former human trait I supposed.

I'd say the trip back but since Marshadow attacked us, and our sensitive conversations it was quite tense.

From being less than about a half hour's walk from the outskirts of Saltwater Cliffs, Leader Magearna made an interesting decision to have their hideout down here. A shiver rolled down my spine as we continued further down the solemn path. It was cold. The early morning overcast skies and rain made it just as chilly as yesterday.

Unfortunately, the staffers all but swarmed us once we made it back to the boundary of the empty' stoneland. “Defender Hunter!” a Rhydon yelled as he charged straight at us with a Zebstrika, a Medicham, and a Cacturne.The Rhydon tightened his pink and silver scarf as he stared down at us alongside his fellow staffers, it looked like we weren't going in the elevator without a little chat or two.

With a slight sigh, the Boltund stepped forward out of the group.“My sincerest apologies, on my presence fluctuation.”

The Medicham scowled as he gestured to his forehead. He had that same familiar silver plated band on top.“Even if it was only for 0.01 seconds,” he all but spat, “it was enough to send an alarming signal through your monitoring band.”

“I am truly sorry.” Master Hunter bowed her head toward the ground.

“Now this is dismissing the attacks of Marshadow,” the Cacturne said as she waved her spiny arm. “How are you all faring?”

“Personally I am doing well,” Master Fang said, their ears lowering. “Though I did faint from my previous injuries.”

The rest of us gave similar responses, I tried keeping mine as short as possible. Lest they mind my dark grey fur any longer than necessary. These staffers probably knew who the former humans were but I still wanted to pretend no one knew, pretend I wasn't special.

“That is true,” Rhydon sighed as he held his arms behind his back. “Young Master Doran was particularly targeted as a Kubfu.”

I winced as I thought of Smeargle and Morpeko's comments from yesterday. Even these staff guys are calling them Young Master?

“Since you inquired, I am also well,” Doran finally spoke up, their tail low.

The Cacturne smiled softly before she replied. “Very well, Young Master and the Kubfu's charges are in good spirits.”

“You also had the pleasure of meeting with both our honorable Leader Magearna and the talented Young Master Xuě Zeraora,” the Medicham added, his tone calmer. “Some of you, sans the Primeape Vanguard and the Pyroar Caster are unlocked Keepers, so continue to be mindful of your elemental presence.”

My eyes widened and I turned over to Fist and Pride, on their muzzles a look of surprise. Wait what, those two aren't? No wonder it was so easy to be around them, they're Sentinels.

The Zebstrika huffed as he trotted around us, particularly eyeing me and Doran before he turned back to Master Hunter. “Please control yourselves as you have access to our sacred realm, the Domain of the honorable Leader Magearna.”

“Yes, once again my apologies,” the ever remorseful Boltund repeated.

After the staffers left through the permanent mist shrouding the perimeter of hidden lands I let out a breath. Well rather a sigh of relief. The first couple times we came to Leader Magearna's Domain it was quite rough, but now we had even more pressure.

The earth rumbled and soon emerged the familiar pink form of a large eight-spoked gear. We all got into the elevator and the same elevator operator from the first day, Poliwrath, let us down into the depths of Leader Magearna's Domain. It seems like today is the last day of the seminar, so it's a bit of a shame we won't be here much longer. The technology here was so cool compared to anywhere else I've been.

Eventually we of the Sentinels Union, branch Numero Seis, six out of fourteen sat down beside everyone else in the massive auditorium. It's so crazy that in a room of regular League, Sentinels Union, and Expedition Society Pokémon in the front were the VIPs. Shifu Yang and Shifu Shui, Young Master Xuě, and unexpectedly Master Zeraora. They finally made it here on the last day?

Leader Magearna walked up onto the stage with that same trio of Meowscarada, Skeledirge, and Quaquaval, from that incredible Fleur Cannon earlier I finally understood a Legendary's true power. They saved our lives alongside Young Master Xuě. The fact that Marshadow was alive also showed me Leader Magearna's restraint.

“Greetings from all across the land, close and far,” Leader Magearna's booming, staticky voice rang aloud. Once again, amazing acoustics from just a Skeledirge's birdy mic, Exploud head speakers and Oranguru's telekinesis link.

“Let us continue our seminar on how to permanently end the Disruption, this involves security of the elemental keys and locks of mana of each type.” Leader Magearna explained and the walls flashed with a diagram of all eighteen keys. “Which naturally requires them to be locked back up, which in turn the reversal of all those unlocked, especially the Keepers of the Celestial Hemisphere.”

The chart swapped to a map of the five Continents on this Hemisphere. “The Disruption was caused by unlocking hundreds of thousands of them, so the shift in the global supply, or balance of mana would be felt by all Pokémon,” Leader Magearna paused before they held their hand out. “But we have to aim higher, not just ending the ‘current’ Disruption.”

I tilted my head in confusion. The current? Was there ever another one?

Leader Magearna clapped their hands and the lights on the wall rearranged themselves into four different colored gears. One cyan, one magenta, one green, and one red. Just like the Ether Gems.“We can prevent Disruption for all eternity. The elemental keys and locks of mana, along with all mana artifacts, have the Gears of Mana within them. These Gears of Mana have four states that I previously mentioned; Neutral, Futurist, Primal, and an elusive fourth state, still unknown at the moment.”

Even the Legendary Leader Magearna hasn't found the fourth state? Aren't the Gears of Mana what they made? Or was it made by that ‘Original’ Magearna mentioned?

“We have uncovered that the Primal state was not only the first state of all the Gears of Mana, which means that every elemental key and lock of mana were Primal but also this is the state that they need to be in to prevent a Disruption from happening again,” Leader Magearna said, and moved toward the left side of the stage.

Master Fang nodded along and a thought popped into my head. That's right, the Gears of Mana were changed to Futurist a long time ago, but by who and by what?

With a new symbol on the wall, a triangular badge Leader Magearna began their lecture once more.“Team Vanguard, in that same research paper ‘Understanding Our Mana World’ discovered that hidden away in a mana scroll is a possible method to permanently keep all the Gears of Mana in the elemental keys and locks of mana in Primal Form. This will permanently limit the powers of these Mana Artifacts and technically destroy them.”

My eyes widened as I held back a gasp. Destroy the elemental keys and locks of mana?! Don't we need those to keep the balance of mana? Or could we find another way?

“This potential was too dangerous for the ones who bind those in the League like Rescue Team Vanguard. Our true enemies used propaganda to send legions of death after those brave fourteen Pokémon!” they shouted throughout the auditorium. “Even forces for so-called good. All of this violence on the basis of ruining the sanctity of Keepers and Sentinels way of life, a life that shouldn't exist with such inequality and inequity.”

Shite, if these guys are such a big deal why haven't I heard of them before? Are they related to that cult that started the Great Betrayal, attacking the former humans of Team Checkmate? Team Checkmate was the Rescue Team of the Chief and Coordinator of the Bristberg League. If I recalled correctly. Chaos from the legions of Wicked Blow gangs was always our focus.

“Even though only one of Myth and Legend such as myself, Zeraora, Shui and Yang can open the mana scrolls with enough Ether Gems, anyone can find one and alert us to the location. Keeper or Sentinel.”

Mana scrolls were almost useless without being open eh. Doran could probably open one too right?

“Take pride Sentinels, for your clairvoyance,” Leader Magearna clarified, their voice softening. “In lack of Keeper presence is a great aid in recovering both the Ether Gems, Mana Regalia, and mana scrolls.”

They then gestured back to the wall and the four black circles on it.“Speaking of Mana Regalia, we have finally gleaned some new information on them. Specifically four located on the Constellation Continent: the Treasure of the Tapus, a pair of glaives, the Greatshield, a wide broadsword, the Feathers of Light, a bow and arrow, and the Sacred Cleaver, a mighty handaxe.”

Doran suppressed a yawn and leaned toward me, their paw brushing my shoulder. If they didn't touch me I'd forget they were there, imagine looking for a mana artifact. The Treasure of the Tapus was definitely in either Tapu Plains or Tapu Valley, but I've no clue where any of the others could be. Kinda nerve-wracking to think one could be in Saltwater Cliffs or just lost in the middle of the straylands somewhere.

“When used by a Sentinel, particularly the few Fangs of the Fallen, the Mana Regalia can help reset the balance of mana, but only when used against an unlocked Keeper. Sentinels do not gain major strength from the basic Mana Regalia, but there are ways to become equal to an unlocked Keeper's boosted move.”

There is? The image of Linus or any other little Sentinel running around with a giant sword, the size of their body lit up in my head and I grinned.

“The Penultimate Mana Regalia can take back unlocked Keepers power and let a Fang of the Fallen channel it much stronger through the weapon instead of their body,” as Leader Magearna spoke, different weapons and vague Pokémon forms- like the statues in a Kanto Gym, moved on the wall. “When the Mana Regalia is used as a conduit the negative effects such as rage and instability of being unlocked are not present.”

“Now you may be asking how this could be, but do understand the Penultimate Mana Regalia are just like any other mana artifact, they have Gears of Mana. These Gears of Mana however are permanently in their Primal Form. A Pair of Scythes, a Great Bow, a Wakuzaki and a Halberd are reported to be the Penultimate Mana Regalia, the whereabouts seem to be somewhere on the Nebula, Jovian, and Twin-Star Continents, along with many other Mana Regalia.”

If we studied those Penultimate ones... Could we get the Gears of Mana inside all Mana Artifacts to be permanently Primal? Woah that's incredible, we have so many things to go after!

“If you are a Keeper do not fret, these are just more tools for ending the Disruption, and defeat the carefully hidden Eternal Federation.Together Keepers, Sentinels, those of Myth and Legend, we shall keep moving onward, the gears of change interlinked in unison. No matter what may come!” Leader Magearna all but ordered.

Master Hunter and Master Fang climbed out of their seats. I, and many others followed as pure fairy energy, pixelated warmth filled the room.“We fight for everyone's future, one free from the eternal clutches of despair and from the Disruption!”

Cheers, clapping, stomping, and other sounds of excitement and joy rang out in the auditorium and Leader Magearna bowed to a standing ovation of several minutes. Pokémon of all sizes and types, from all across the Hemisphere, in various Mana Research Leagues, Expedition Societies, and Sentinels Union Branches all united.

I've only lived in this world of Mysterious Dungeons for five years but I have never felt such a connection, and belonging, from so many lives. Fist and Pride cheered, Makkuro, and Doran were all excited, and even Smeargle, and Morpeko looked happy alongside Aron and Impidimp. Eventually, with their combined effort, Leader Magearna's staffers got each row to calm down, and exit one by one.

Once we were out in the lobby of the auditorium each organization was set in lines to have all their belongings checked and took off our monitoring bands.

Master Fang wagged their tail as they sat on the ground for a moment, their black Sentinels Union beads shining bright off the room lights. “So what did you all think?”

“That seminar was fantastic!” I cheered back, earning a nudge from Makkuro and Doran.

“So much information,” the Kubfu groaned, rocking on their heels.

“Yeah,” Makkuro sighed. “Too much really.”

“You three begged us to take you to Saltwater Cliffs to learn and now you're whining?” the Lycanroc softly laughed.

“Three!?” I gasped.

“Yes, you three!”

The Rockruff across from them nodded, “We Keepers have a ton of work to do.”

“It's all to help Pokémon remember,” I tried to ease the tension. “It's what your friends back home would want.” Those Pokémon that the Ace Trainers Academy had them use when in Johto due to the ban of their five Alolan Pokémon.

“Knowledge is a great power in these times,” Master Hunter finally spoke up, their voice a tad shaky.

I glanced into the Boltund's tired eyes; their former Rescue Teams research was instrumental in yet another breakthrough, but it couldn't stop the tragedy of Team Vanguard. Those drained yellow-green eyes haunted me even as I looked away.

Makkuro sniffled as he lifted his head up. “Yeah, for those guys I'll do my best. I helped them in your stead, Doran.”

Doran brushed some of their fur before they spoke, “Thanks for that Makkuro, perhaps I was too… Too mischievous with you.”

I furrowed my brow. ‘Mischievous’ was what they called that teasing?

“You were a bit too much,” he grumbled softly.

The Kubfu ruffled the dark gray strands of fur on Makkuro's head. He leaned away as they spoke. “But you're someone important to me.”

“We're learning,” I added. “And we need to get stronger as well.” Stronger in mind and stronger in body.

Eventually the line made its way to the front of the security staff. The Gallade from before berated Master Hunter, and a few other Pokémon for sending worrisome signals. On the contrary the Emboar and Empoleon staffers, ones that were here on the first day, gave us a large wooden crate. Apparently it was a care package.

The Emboar bowed as he held out the box. “Thank you for your valiant effort against Marshadow with Young Master Doran!”

“Please take care,” the Empoleon added, and latched the care package onto Master Fang's bags.

We got our belongings back but soon came the difficult part, the metal lined collar which kept my senses dulled was taken off. A headache from the tension slowly brewed as the staffers took off the monitoring bands from the rest of the unlocked Keepers and Sentinels. Apparently there were a few of them. A shudder of pain rolled throughout my head, more and more unlocked presences, from all sorts of elemental types I've never tasted so strongly before flooded my head. All consuming smoke, mint, whey, bitter herbs, and the earth itself. All from Keepers.

“Too much!” I croaked as the figures of Doran and Makkuro went blurry. My paws trembled as the various presences fluctuated in a wild current, all reactions to each being freed.

“Kobi?” the Rockruff barked, their tone baked with worry, just as murky as their brown body. How was he fine? Why am I the only one to suffer ?

“Let's go,” Master Hunter said before she picked me up by the scruff of my neck and pulled me up.

“Thanks,” I croaked, as I slumped over.

“Keep it together mate!” Doran yelped, as they grabbed one of my paws.The warmth and contact eased the pangs in my gut just for a moment and I felt like I could stay awake.

“Remember the steps to controlling your moves, it works for resistance too,” Master Fang's gentle voice let me visualize the forms in front of me. “Peace, those you love, cherish them in your heart.”

Through the hurried steps, we made our way back to the elevators to the surface. Hushed whispers were also present amongst the chatter of the other Pokémon around us, the noises almost overwhelming. Such a ridiculous position to be in. I felt like a bloody toddler, a focking baby. I wasn't a baby, er hatchling, being carried like this, I was an unwell adult. A weak pathetic Espurr adult at that. Stupid Disruption, I should be a bloody Meowstic by now for sword's sake.

The gentle, rattling sounds of a pitter patter drummed above my ears and I sighed. It was raining once again. By the time my eyes properly worked I was on a bench in the middle of Saltwater Cliffs. The slight acrid brine of salt flitted into my nose as I took a deep breath and rolled over. “Ow!”

I rolled right into Makkuro, the Rockruff's neck pebble pieces sharper than I expected. “Kobi!” he cheered, careful with his paws as he stood up.

“You're up now eh Kobi?” Doran asked and leaned down to ruffle my fur.

Their paws were so soft, but this was definitely an awkward sight. The Kubfu stared at me for a while, like they weren't sure I was awake. A blush tinged my cheeks as I righted myself and replied. “Yeah.”

Master Hunter, and Master Fang stood in front of the bench, out of the covering and into the drizzling shower. But because of them no one saw my pitiful body. One laggard, like a drunk hungover off Oran wine in broad daylight, er day. It was always cloudy here in Saltwater Cliffs, wasn't it.

“That's good to hear,” the Boltund sighed before she shivered. “You were out for only a few minutes but that was worrying to say the least.”

The Lycanroc beside her shook their head. “Atta girl Kobi, back on your paws. We've got another meeting to head to so it's just in time.”

“With who?” I asked, and stretched my legs out, finally getting a taste of the rain as it trickled out. Refreshing after being caked in so many different Keepers presences, unlocked or not.

“The other representatives from the Sentinels Union. From the other Continents, too.”

“Where is the meeting?”

“At the Elite Phase Inn Suite, some really luxurious hotel apparently,” the Boltund noted, her eyes aimed at the skyline for a moment.

Master Fang pointed toward the bakery and took a couple of steps away. “It's also unfortunately on the other side of the city.”

“Come on now,” Master Hunter said and nudged their fiancée, slowing them down. “There will be some very important guests so it's best not to keep them waiting.”

Instead of going down the street with the Grand Keep, that Black Castle, we went into a different part of the city. Sea shells and old coins still paved the ground, but the buildings themselves had far more modern sleek exteriors, bright signage and brighter colors. Vividly painted by warm reds, greens, and yellows compared to the cool blues, purples, and grays of the previous district.

Doran hummed a song as we walked past a brewery. I could remember some of the lyrics:‘One for sword and shield, and one for ice and ghast, and all~’ a Wydon City Gym theme from a couple years back. That reminded me; they had family in Galar and Johto. So why did they ask about the Urshifu?

I glanced at the shops beside us and took a chance. “Hey Doran, why did you ask Shifu Yang and Shifu Shui if they or their family knew you?” I asked.

Doran groaned as they rubbed their temples.“I didn't really want to talk about this all of a sudden but, Leader Cresselia and Leader Darkrai told me that a Single Strike and Rapid Strike Urshifu pair, one found here, in the Constellation Continent, would be some of my family members.”

“Is that so?” Master Hunter pondered aloud.

The Lycanroc beside them shifted their gait with their question.“Maybe they just haven't reached the Continent yet?”

“I've got no clue honestly,” the Kubfu groaned once again, their tiny round ears flattened.

“Or you missed them somehow?” I added.

Makkuro hummed. “Who could that be, a pair of Urshifu not related or under Shifu Yang and Shifu Shui?”

“That's a good question, a good question.”

We shook our heads as we continued onward through the sea-shell lined streets, and passed another castle. This one was a light grey beauty, bedazzled with blue stained glass and white gates with a metal finish. Beside it a bronze plate read ‘Captain Palifin’ Fort. And that wasn't all Saltwater Cliffs had to show, right next door had a few tourist traps, Saltwater Taffy, Salt Cliff Crisps and Bakery, the doors wide open, a huge crowd of mon waiting outside.

Master Fang led us to an intersection with some warehouses and factories, for some various products I couldn’t recognize, especially not through those frosted opaque windows, ones high up toward the chimney and steamstack filled roofs. Despite the rain, just like yesterday plenty of Pokémon were out and about, mainly water, poison, grass, and steel types that caught my eyes. Interestingly there were a few others like a fiery Darumaka, and an earthy Sandshrew.

As we weaved through widening, more clean, and decorated streets Saltwater Cliffs, the view of the behemoth of a hotel as illustrious as Master Hunter described came into sight. Stainless, ornate metal fencings, which surrounded the lush garden in front of the first building. Behind it sat an impressive six story building, with a sign that read ‘Elite Phase Inn Suite’ with a crescent moon shaped symbol.

The guards out front confirmed the lot of us were with the Sentinels Union and allowed us inside. Once again I couldn't believe my eyes; it wasn't the sight of all these Pokémon, who worked in the shadows, but one. Master Zeraora stood in the center of the meeting room, and their eyes locked onto something, someone beside me. Wow, those were sharp claws, and such massive fangs, fit for a being of Myth like Zeraora I supposed. That fairly large Mythical Pokémon filled me with reverence, no doubt everyone was in awe of Master Zeraora's firm muscles, sharp dark blue eyes, and the faint scent of blood. “Young Kubfu Doran,” their higher than expected, but still resonant voice called out.

“M-Master Zeraora?” Doran all but squeaked out, their eyes wide.

They took a step forward and placed a claw above the Kubfu's head. “I came to check on you.”

“Me?”

“Yes, I heard that Marshadow,” Master Zeraora's tone darkened as a crackle of static flickered off their whiskers, “that same bastard, whom I detest with all of my heart, attacked my fifteen year old daughter Xuě, also attacked you and your companions here.”

“That is true,” Doran explained, ears low.

Master Zeraora withdrew their claw and stepped back.“You all may speak if you wish of course.”

I shuffled closer to the Lycanroc and the Boltund next to us and held my breath.

Master Hunter pawed at the ground before they tested the water. “Marshadow attacked Young Master Xuě?”

“The White Zeraora who saved us, Young Master Xuě dealt with them?” Makkuro asked.

“Yes, it was a couple months ago,” Master Zeraora stifled a growl. “Marshadow attacked Xuě with the clear intent to kill. All to stop her from helping you regular Pokémon like those in the Sentinels Union end the Disruption.”

You regular Pokémon ?

“Is that so?” the Boltund questioned.

Master Zeraora nodded and held out a claw toward Doran. “And unfortunately they will strike you again, Young Kubfu.”

“They will?” Master Fang gasped.

“Just not in Saltwater Cliffs,” Master Zeraora clarified. “as Magearna shall kill Marshadow if their presence is detected in the city again. And Magearna does not often tell jokes on life and death.”

“I see,” Master Hunter added, “so how shall we search out for various mana artifacts, with a target on our backs?”

Master Zeraora's piercing eyes went toward the entrance for a moment and they nodded. “I shall have Xuě, watch over you all, once you locate the position of an elemental and lock of mana.”

“Young Master Xuě will?!” Doran gasped.

“Yes, and,” Master Zeraora bent down toward me and Makkuro.

“Master Zeraora?” he questioned as they got close enough to almost sniff the dark grey fur of our heads.

“You Espurr, and you Rockruff are the Thoth’s Tablet Dream Mark pair aren’t you?”

“We are?” I asked, my eyes wide. I've never heard about that ‘Thoth's Tablet’ in my entire life but okay.

“I believe so,” Master Zeraora said as they rose. “Your pair name was once decreed as the Dawn Stone by Leader Cresselia but Leader Darkrai changed it to reference your scholarly interests and physical tenacity.”

“So you too Master Zeraora, confirm the Dream Mark? We won't have to rely on the black bells from the war.” Master Hunter gently placed a paw near mine. “Thank you.”

Master Zeraora dusted off their legs and took a couple steps back. “The pleasure is all mine, now if you excuse me-” Before Master Zeraora could get any further, a teal crackle of electricity zoomed right beside me, and a white figure collided with them. Master Fang pulled me and Makkuro out of the way, and everyone gave Master Zeraora a wide berth, but after the….

The steam settled, the ground was fine. Was that all just for show? What was above ground was a different story, the same white, yet not shiny Zeraora, Young Master Xuě. “Master Zeze!” she yelled and hit Master Zeraora on the shoulder. “Why weren't you here yesterday!?”

She just called them Master Zeze? I and everyone else took a couple more steps back from the two Zeraora. With a shake of their head Master Zeraora responded. “I got frustrated that Magearna allowed so many unlocked Keepers to their Domain.”

Young Master Xuě gasped. “You can't be real!”

“I am, I do not have faith in these unlocked Pokémon even though they've controlled their presences and had been watched.”

“You're being ridiculous!”

Master Zeraora folded their arms before they spoke.“Remember Xuě, I still do not completely trust those who are not of Myth or Legend anymore.”

“Why?!” Young Master Xuě demanded.

Her parent glanced around the room before they sighed.“I encountered some Pokémon in Wicked Blow on the way here from Palm Shore and in Hillock Country. The only reason they surrendered was because of my might,” Master Zeraora continued as they counted on their claws. “As previously stated, I will do so through Lauderdale Marsh, investigate near Bristberg, and go up to RedRock.”

“So you don’t trust everyone because of some ruffians?”

“They had trust once, and the Disruption happened, I shall not make that mistake again.”

Young Master Xuě growled as she bared her fangs. “Can you really afford to discount all the work being done on this Continent and the others?”

“Yes.”

“All the effort my Ether Society and I have done?”

“Yes.”

“The hard work Pangoro, Lurantis, Passimian, Cramorant, and Sandaconda achieved alongside- no, with me? Can you?!”

“Alright,” Master Zeraora grumbled as they turned away. “That’s enough Xuě, these Sentinels Union Pokemon have work to do.”

“And we're involved in it!” she yelled.

Master Zeraora headed toward the exit, their ears folded back in annoyance.“No we aren’t.”

“How can you say that!”

“I have a thousand years more experience than you do, Xuě!”

Young Master Xuě grit her teeth as she raced after them. “I don’t. Fucking! Care!” The doors to the hotel slammed shut and a clap of thunder lit up outside. Far above, the vivid array of teal and yellow lighting, danced through the gloomy cloudy sky, only rivaled by the brief flash of sunlight. I guess even Mythicals had mood swings. A thousand years but nothing could contain a teenage stubborn will eh.

Top Bottom