• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fall 2020 Mafia - Game Thread

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Scratch that, Nuki's just gonna get axed. I would love if that didn't happen, but again, that might be bias talking.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
This is like watching an Ace Attorney case, and honestly I have no idea who'd be Phoenix and who'd be Edgeworth.

I already let the RNG gods decide who I'm voting for, which is DW, and it already looks like we're gonna have another tie if I keep it there. Which is solely what I'm gonna do, simply because I just don't vibe with DW rn. It's likely that this is bias, and I could be horribly wrong about who's mafia and who's town, but I am really not getting anything from either except Nuki having already been cleared, and DW not exactly so.
Tanuki might be definitely a roleblocker, but that does NOT make him clear. Roleblocker is usually a scum role, so him being confirmed blocker says absolutely nothing about his alignment.

Waffle

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
she/her
Vote: Tanuki

I might change this later after more information crops up. But right now DW's logic is more sound, I think. That said. If Tanuki get's lynched and flips town, I will be pressing DW on the next day (or if I'm dead I suggest others do the same.) Same goes if the opposite happens.

Yeah I agree. I'll vote Tanuki but if he's innocent Ill vote dw

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Tanuki might be definitely a roleblocker, but that does NOT make him clear. Roleblocker is usually a scum role

In that case, I'm still sus of you. I don't normally think of what something usually is because it might not be now. While having the experience of previous games would come in handy, it kinda sets one up to be blindsided when things aren't the "norm." Which is part of the reason I don't ask about what normally happens and focus on what's going on now.

And right now, DW is sus to me.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
In that case, I'm still sus of you. I don't normally think of what something usually is because it might not be now. While having the experience of previous games would come in handy, it kinda sets one up to be blindsided when things aren't the "norm." Which is part of the reason I don't ask about what normally happens and focus on what's going on now.

And right now, DW is sus to me.
I didn't worc that very well, did I? Yes, roleblocker is usually a scum role, but town roleblockers definitely do exist. The point wasn't that roleblockers should be assumed to be scum, just that his confirmation as a blocker doesn't say anything about his alignment.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
I didn't word that very well, did I? Yes, roleblocker is usually a scum role, but town roleblockers definitely do exist. The point wasn't that roleblockers should be assumed to be scum, just that his confirmation as a blocker doesn't say anything about his alignment.
Edit By Way of Post (EBWOP)

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
look i was in medbay the whole time you have nothing on me

On a more serious note, I'm the Doctor not the kind with a time-travelling phonebox, unfortunately, but I wish. I get to protect someone for the whole game (apparently without being able to change which person I protect), but held off on this both because I was on the sidelines and because the Town/Mafia line is very murky and I didn't want to end up protecting a Mafia.

I'd like to point out that DW doesn't seem to have much in the way of verification for her claims - she also claimed after Tanuki. This could be a ploy by DW to get us to lynch the town roleblocker. She would likely get lynched the next day if her own claims didn't hold up, but it would put the mafia in an advantage by virtue of disarming us further.

However. I'm sceptical of that because the mafia could just as easily dispatch Tanuki in the night if he was town - if DW really is mafia, it makes more sense for her to not claim and lay low, because making a scene of it here is putting her on the sus podium. Which is a bad place to be for mafia.

Tentatively setting my vote to: Tanuki

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Shimmer right now:
shimstruck.png
(More serious post coming later after class)

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
I really don’t see what claiming roleblocker would’ve done for me as scum. I did it to clear Equitia’s name and confirm an innocent. There isn’t any scum evidence here besides DW’s counterclaim.

If I was mafia, why would I have ever claimed I was roleblocker? Most people already found me pretty innocent because of the soft-role-claim slip up. I didn’t have any reason to claim except to confirm Equitia was telling the truth.

Dawning Winds’ claim, though, tosses scum at everyone but them. Obviously it targets me, but they also claim to have roleblocked Phan. If I was mafia, why would I want to make Equitia look clean? The obvious next step for DW is to attack him with that justification.

It’s also worth noting how in sync Perse and Dawning have been in voting. They both voted Del, they’re both voting me, and they consistently follow the same wagon.

They’ve already killed an innocent. They’re trying to muddy the pool by casting suspicion on everyone, all because I made a claim that I had nothing to gain from.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
making a scene of it here is putting her on the sus podium. Which is a bad place to be for mafia.
This goes both ways. Claiming really could only hurt me here, and I had no reason to since I was basically off everyone’s radar. If I was mafia, claiming a role that’s usually mafia would be ridiculously stupid.

But look at how much the counter claim accomplishes. Look at how many people the counterclaim tosses into the sus-bin. It’s a powerful move from a veteran player to divide the town as much as possible.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
My roleclaim does nothing to help the mafia; Dawning’s helps the mafia in every way possible

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
This goes both ways. Claiming really could only hurt me here, and I had no reason to since I was basically off everyone’s radar. If I was mafia, claiming a role that’s usually mafia would be ridiculously stupid.

But look at how much the counter claim accomplishes. Look at how many people the counterclaim tosses into the sus-bin. It’s a powerful move from a veteran player to divide the town as much as possible.
"Veteran player"
I've given up on contradicting that town!me can be defined as skilled. But I've been Mafia literally twice, once where someone (who was admittedly also scum because everyone was but it was a valid point) correctly read me during RVS, and once where I did essentially nothing.

The fact is, I don't know what I'm doing as scum.

Also three people, including myself, one of which I've said is not made very sus by a claim due to the fact that there are other possibilities for no kill, is not what I'd call "a powerful move to divide the town". It's basically just you and me who are sus from my claim.

Also, as I said, one town death for one Mafia death leans heavily in the town's favor, so it would not make sense to do this just to get you killed as Mafia.

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
What gets me about both sides of this is that this is very risky for either side if they're mafia - and they both outed themselves, instead of being outed by others. And looking over the thread, what Tanuki said does seem to check out. Tanuki clearing Equita doesn't make sense from a Mafia perspective unless Equitia is also mafia, but It doesn't make sense for Equitia to be mafia, because a lot of his story seems on-the-level and his (visible) moves thus far have been aligned with Town completely.

DW is pretty sus without anyone to clear her story, but it also doesn't make sense for her to make a scene like this from a mafia perspective because she's putting herself out in the open without a cover story - while Tanuki does have one. Even if Tanuki is killed and winds up Town, DW is almost sure to be lynched the next day. Her only saving grace is breeding paranoia, but this isn't likely to work a third time/as more info comes out into the open. Also keep in mind that she's apparently our most experienced player.

The only reason that the mafia would force their own hand like this is fear that Tanuki as Town Roleblocker will guess right and expose the mafia that tries to kill him - the only difference is that the day approach is a calculated loss, while the night approach is a higher-stakes gamble. If DW is mafia, it feels like an arguably unnecessary "If I'm going down you're going down with me" scenario. Unless getting the roleblocker out of the picture is time sensitive, but this would require that (A) the mafia knows there is a roleblocker, and (B) they have a role that requires the roleblocker out of the way, the sooner the better. I'm not a mafia buff - is this a possibility?

In conclusion: I wonder if we have the wrong people on the lynch podium.

Unvoting until further notice.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Also, last game you said you've randomly lynched your teammates as Mafia for towncred when playing in person, so I figure claiming to confirm a townie for towncred doesn't really seem too out there, comparatively. Especially not if the townie you confirmed's role conveniently backs your claim up.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Also, last game you said you've randomly lynched your teammates as Mafia for towncred when playing in person, so I figure claiming to confirm a townie for towncred doesn't really seem too out there, comparatively. Especially not if the townie you confirmed's role conveniently backs your claim up.
The funny thing is, these two strategies are exact opposites. Lynching my own teammates hurts the team and helps me. It’s putting all my eggs in my basket.

My claim, though, hurts me to help the team. I have nothing to gain from it. It puts me in danger where there was none.

Also, I’m going to take this moment to point out how desperately Dawning wants y’all not to think they’re a veteran player. They really want to downplay there skill. Why do you think that is?

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
If DW is mafia, it feels like an arguably unnecessary "If I'm going down you're going down with me" scenario. Unless getting the roleblocker out of the picture is time sensitive, but this would require that (A) the mafia knows there is a roleblocker,

If DW is mafia, then they would know there's a roleblocker because I announced it when I roleclaimed. Tanuki had to have roleblocked Windskull last night, because nothing else would have given me an "unsuccessful result". Whether this is a viable strat for hypothetical mafia!DW, I don't know right now. I'm still processing things.

I do believe Tanuki could be townie roleblocker and have roleblocked Windskull N0 out of a miscalculation. He (and everyone else) is a noob here.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Btw if I get too sucked into this, I'll be up all night and that will have negative ramifications on my mental health,. So I'm disengaging now, but I'll be back tomorrow.

(Holy shit this is getting gooood. I love this part of Mafia.)

Top Bottom