• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fall 2020 Mafia - Game Thread

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
@SparklingEspeon, since you're not playing, you might as well go and roleclaim fully. Tell us what your ability is and what it does whenever you're able.

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
So, thinking more on Dawning...

Because I can be an emotionally-driven decision maker, and I know that won’t fly, I’m making an active effort to not sus Dawning as retaliation for susing me... But I think I may be overcompensating in the other direction now.

I think that’s in my last post, I think I gave Dawning too much leeway to headhunt rookies because the rookies just happened to include me. If she’d gone after 3 non-me rookies, I’d be far more suspicious of her than I expressed before, and I don’t think it’s logical to be less suspicious than I would be because one of the accused was me.

The more I think about it, the harder it is for me to believe that the most experienced player here is genuinely thinks that every new player is suspicious. I think I should be putting more pressure on her to defend that decision.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
The two players who keep voting in sync, first on Fusion, then Del, and now me, insist that the person they swayed is the scum.
We synced on you at the beginning of D1, but our votes aren't actually synced right now- I'm still on Shiny Phantump, though I'm admittedly a lot less sure on her than I was when I first voted. I'm not even insisting that you're scum, just that based one my previous games, there's a pretty good chance on of you and Equitia is scum.

So, thinking more on Dawning...

Because I can be an emotionally-driven decision maker, and I know that won’t fly, I’m making an active effort to not sus Dawning as retaliation for susing me... But I think I may be overcompensating in the other direction now.

I think that’s in my last post, I think I gave Dawning too much leeway to headhunt rookies because the rookies just happened to include me. If she’d gone after 3 non-me rookies, I’d be far more suspicious of her than I expressed before, and I don’t think it’s logical to be less suspicious than I would be because one of the accused was me.

The more I think about it, the harder it is for me to believe that the most experienced player here is genuinely thinks that every new player is suspicious. I think I should be putting more pressure on her to defend that decision.
I might be the most experienced player here, but if one were to go to Bulba and ask, I'm pretty sure not a single person would consider me actually an experienced player. Hell, I probably wouldn't. I might have said earlier that I've played ten plus games, but TR is a completely different environment for me, not only in the rules, but in the players. I'm used to playing games with mostly people who have been playing for years, and those of us who haven't can't let anything at all slide with them, because some of them are insanely good scum. Most of the time, I'm about the least experienced player in the game. And I'd like to point out, if we consider everyone who's played three or less games a rookie (that's about the cutoff on Bulba usually I think), then there's no way for me to not suspect rookies except by not suspecting anyone (or by suspecting myself but there are some mistakes I refuse to repeat, thank you), so the fact that all my suspicions have been new players should really, really not be a surprise.

Unvote: Shiny Phantump
At least for now, I'm going to take my vote off. I do realize what I was suspecting you for was probably just your inexperience, not anything truly scummy. Possibly the same for Del, and probably for Fusion. I'll try to take in to consideration that everyone else is pretty new with all further reads I make.

Waffle

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
she/her
Sorry for not talking. I'm new to all of this and have been busy lately. I've never done this before, so I don't know any strategies, so I probably won't be rping much, and I probably just go with the majority vote.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
I'll get more thoughts out in the evening (after hopefully more people throw in their thoughts), but for now, reads! Each section is in no particular order. Note that I don't have any hard reads as of right now.

Leaning Town

Equita - I've covered this pretty thoroughly in my previous points. I just can't see anything outside of a wild, risky gambit that could make equita be mafia.

SparklingEspeon - 60/40 leaning towards town. I doubt she's mafia considering her lack of action last night (we can at least guarantee one of two things: she's not the godfather, or she was roleblocked last night).

Neutral

DawningWinds - As I've said before, DW's gameplay feels very similar to the last game. The only reason I'm neutral instead of leaning town is because I'd be shocked if no mafia members were on Del. There are a few scenarios I can think of where this isn't the case (inexperienced mafia or if one of the inactive players is mafia. Anyways, if Equita is locked as town, then there's a chance that DW is mafia.

Waffle - 50/50. Seems to be a new player. Will see what she does today.

Shiny Phantump - Probably town. Is trying to contribute.

Fusion - Complete shot in the dark. I know he's busy today but I would like to see his thoughts when he comes online.

Tanuki - 50/50 slightly leaning town. I still feel slightly suspicious of him, considering just how adamant Del was about him. But the accidental softclaim feels very towny, and he hasn't said anything further to make me suspicious

Leaning Mafia

Persephone - Mind you, I definitely can follow the logic behind why she voted for del if she is town. And I'll keep in mind that it was DW that suggested getting another person on Del (which makes sense with her playstyle, mind you) if Persephone gets lynched and flips innocent. I need to go back and look at the previous game if I have time to compare her playstyle. Because it feels similar but more helpful. Could be her play style in general, could just be that she got better at it. This isn't a real strong suspicion, but right now she's the strongest suspicion I have, so my vote remains.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
I'm back.

All I really have to say, upon reading back on the thread, is that I'm kinda sus of the more aggressive players. I'm still thinking about everything yall are saying, but it is more difficult to make reads on posts than I thought it'd be.

Me being seen as 50/50 is honestly flattering, for some reason. I have passive half-scum vibes and if that isn't an accomplishment then idk what is.

Honestly I have no idea who to actually point my finger at, I might be leaning towards voting Equita or Perse just to see what happens, but we already know how everyone acts when they get in the hot seat. I could go for who we believe are 50/50, but that's like, me and the inactives so like... nah.

Last edited:

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Just catching up, larger post coming, but I wanted to cut in real quick with this since it’s somewhat time sensitive.

@SparklingEspeon, since you're not playing, you might as well go and roleclaim fully. Tell us what your ability is and what it does whenever you're able.
I really don’t like this. We don’t know what her role is, and it could be a huge threat to mafia. She should at least get to use it. Even if she’s mafia, could she be the killer if she didn’t post night actions?

I guess it’s possible since someone mentioned a shared mafia kill, but I dunno. It seems really unlikely Espy is mafia and I don’t want her to role claim. Even if she doesn’t have a role dangerous to the mafia, that tells the mafia who isn’t a threat.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
she's not the godfather
Why can't she be the godfather? Godfather is a passive role, and probably a pretty safe role to be inactive as if the cop decides to check the inactives.

or she was roleblocked last night
Equitia specifically said that he gets a different result for no action than being roleblocked, so this is definitely not the case.

DawningWinds - As I've said before, DW's gameplay feels very similar to the last game. The only reason I'm neutral instead of leaning town is because I'd be shocked if no mafia members were on Del. There are a few scenarios I can think of where this isn't the case (inexperienced mafia or if one of the inactive players is mafia. Anyways, if Equita is locked as town, then there's a chance that DW is mafia.
Or the Mafia don't want to be caught in a mislynch, perhaps. Anyway, I have no problems with your read on me idk why I even quoted it.

Persephone - Mind you, I definitely can follow the logic behind why she voted for del if she is town. And I'll keep in mind that it was DW that suggested getting another person on Del (which makes sense with her playstyle, mind you) if Persephone gets lynched and flips innocent. I need to go back and look at the previous game if I have time to compare her playstyle. Because it feels similar but more helpful. Could be her play style in general, could just be that she got better at it. This isn't a real strong suspicion, but right now she's the strongest suspicion I have, so my vote remains.
I think I see what you mean by similiar but more helpful- last game I remember her being a bit more lurky and not contributing as much, but yeah otherwise pretty similar. She said the last game was her game in a decade, so I'm inclined to think her being more helpful is either her actually being town or her trying to look more town than last time.

All I really have to say, upon reading back on the thread, is that I'm kinda sus of the more aggressive players.
Why the aggressive players, who have been contributing the most to discussion?

I'm still thinking about everything yall are saying, but it is more difficult to make reads on posts than I thought it'd be.
It takes a while to get good at forming reads- just try your best to figure out people's alignments and if you're wrong, you're wrong. Even the best players misread people from time to time.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[[“Well, I might b’able t’answer few o’ yer conundrums, there,” Desper drawled. “Got a long history dueling. Honor, greens, freedom, all them reasons. Fo’ a while, got borin’.

“S’I did what anychu would do: tried somethin’ new.” He reclined, bottle in paw, and continued his tale. “More ways t‘ win a duel’n t’kill ‘em. ‘F they can’t shoot you, threat’s gone.F’ a season, Disarmin’ Duelist they called me. Looks like that page a’ my book came on over with me.”

Desper spun his iron’nto his hands ‘n’ pointed it t’wards Ashwood. “Them’s tellin’ the truth. Blocked them last night’n Shimmer the night before. Them’s clean ‘s a spring.”

‘Course, he knew the reputation of his “hobbies” ‘mongst “more civilized” mon. “Know it ain’t in m’favor sayin’ ‘s much, but ‘f we know who’s town, we know who ain’t. ‘F y’all need t’ hang me t’ believe me,” he took a long drink, nary a flinch at the dark whiskey. “Time’s proved y’all got nothin’ ‘gainst killin’ innocents. Hell, y’all killed more’n these spirits have.”]]

OOC: Equitia is innocent. I know this because I’m town roleblocker, more specifically Disarming Duelist, was the custom name for my role. I used it night one in the hopes I’d hit mafia. That was kinda dumb, but I didn’t give it much thought and hoped it would help more than hurt.

In a way, it kind of has. I blocked Equitia last night because he was one of the people implicated in Del’s me conspiracy. Well, the first one I could parse anyway. Looking back, Perse probably would’ve been the better target since she reads significantly more scummy.

My two biggest scum reads right now are Perse and Dawning Winds. Perse pretty much for the same reasons as everyone else. DW, I just don’t buy that you’ve been in so many more mafia games than all of us and “aren’t that” experienced. I find downplaying how much more you’ve played than us.

You’re also the main force behind the mislynch. You had all the time in the world to switch off Del. You had wagons to look at, we assumed we’d have a dead body, leaving no reason to lynch. It’s a miracle we didn’t lose someone tonight, but nobody knew that would happen.

There was no reason to suspect Del. I understand day one lynching, but at this point, there was enough info that the kill was gratuitous.

DW knows this game probably better than any of us. That alone has me particularly worried. Mafia DW is honestly horrifying. I fully believe they’d be the most competent mafia, and in the big picture, most of what they’ve done is in the mafia’s favor.

Just based on games played, we’re all infants compared to DW. I’m equally suspicious of Perse and DA, but I’m way more afraid of DW. So, I’m voting Dawning Winds.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Joke aside, they already admitted these acronyms are unhelpful, but still has enough experience that they used one without noticing.

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
Hi @Waffle voting for the most popular option isn’t always viable as ties happen and different bandwagons of equal strength but unequal composition in mafia / town happen often. It’s worth going on a gut feeling sometimes, or else you could easily get swept along by the mafia. Not giving any thoughts at all also makes it more likely that people suspect you.

Okay all I know about this comes from the wiki, but it seems like the town doesn’t usually have a roleblock? I want other people to weigh in here, but that does make Tanuki kind of sus.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Vote: Tanuki
Counterclaim! I'm town roleblocker! While I didn't block windskull, I still think that the roleblocker who blocked windskull is probably scum. And that if there are two roleblockers here, one is scum.

I said before that a town roleblocker would probably hold off night zero, which is exactly what I did, and last night I blocked Shiny Phantump, and since I can block nightkills, I thought maybe there was a chance she was the killer. My role name is Extreme Survivor Skills, as weird as that sounds as a roleblocker name. (I thought it was bulletproof, too. :/)

You're blocking Equitia also doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a town perspective.

And there's no space in my username.

Vote Dawning Winds
I can’t read your posts, where’s the translator?
Linked it earlier.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
I blocked Shiny Phantump, and since I can block nightkills, I thought maybe there was a chance she was the killer.

That would be super convenient that your counterclaim implicates both of the people voting you. It feels like a huge logical stretch and a diversion from the other factors weighing against you.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
That would be super convenient that your counterclaim implicates both of the people voting you. It feels like a huge logical stretch and a diversion from the other factors weighing against you.
Look, I thought maybe possibly when I voted her earlier, but that was just one additional reason. There could aldo be a doctor or bulletproof that they hit, so I wouldn't even say it implicates her.

Wait, can there be two roleblockers or is someone lying
Two town roleblockers is pretty unlikely, but I think we're both roleblockers.

Top Bottom