• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Village ~ X-Eye Cauldron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave narrowed his eyes at Soda. He was pretty fucking sure he'd told him nothing of the sort. Either that was some real inspired deduction on his part, or more mind-reading bullshit, or some kind of eavesdropping on his private conversations with Mia. Should he call him on it? Maybe not just yet. See if he said anything else revealing.

"Hold on. That's not at all what you said last time. You were all, oh, that thing where you look in someone's eyes and it's not them. Was that just dramatic exaggeration or what? Because that's not how religious brainwashing actually works."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Yeah, it's not," Soda replied, narrowing his eyes back. "Because unlike the sort of brainwashing back in a human world, this one involved an actual god. I dunno if she always believed that a little, or if maybe that Arceus decided to flip a few million neurons. But the look in her eye wasn't the same." He looked off. "You saw what happened in Moonlit. Maybe it's speculation, but it's damn possible that's why."

Soda looked Dave over. "What's the suspicious look for? Look, I'm God Squad's intel scout. Gathering info is kinda my thing. Figured that was a given. Just because you mention a thing or two out in the wild doesn't mean I didn't hear it when trailing someone. You think that nose of yours is perfect?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Fucking God Squad. What the fuck had he expected. He scowled.

"Okay, so what you're saying is she stayed that way. One day she's suddenly different, and it's permanent. And you're worried if Arceus was fucking with her head to begin with he did it in more ways than one?" He looked away, revulsion pooling in his gut. It was too much to hope a fucking god-being would be above such things, wasn't it. Every fucking cult leader was some kind of sex criminal; why wouldn't the cult leader with the power to rearrange your goddamn brain be.

"When you say maybe she always believed that a little, what's that?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave wasn't quite sure how seriously to take that example, though he hoped to fuck that if Soda actually believed Pop was a cultist sex predator in the making he would be actually doing something about it, and not here working with him and calling themselves the God Squad.

"Hardly need the doubt anyway if you're fucking omnipotent, do you?" He took a chug of his beer. "So what exactly was she telling you the morning after? She try to justify attempting to kill you?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
One would've thought that'd be a pretty fucking memorable conversation. Dave wondered if Soda didn't want to tell him, or if the poor fucker'd just drunk enough to make it hazy.

He sipped his drink, thinking. Remembering your lover trying to kill you and not being sorry for it, but not even remembering why, would probably be enough to mess anyone up.

"So Pop, huh?" he said, putting his glass back down. "Think he's anything like your Arceus?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Yeah. That's pretty much the impression I got."

Dave grabbed another wing and ate it, thinking. A slew of other universes, ruled by a whole spectrum of different Arceuses (Arcei?) ranging from mostly noninterventionist, fairly harmless ones to purely malicious. "Once you've got fucking dimensional travel, honestly people like Maple should be spending their time just rescuing people out of your world and bringing them to ones with slightly less evil gods, right? You know, what better humanitarian project than ensuring that fucker has as few people to toy with as possible." He paused. "You know, Bahamut said in his universe everyone goes to special Eternatus Hell unless he kills them first. Has Cibus got an afterlife? Did your world?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Every world's a little different," Soda said, looking up. "I dunno what my world's one is like, if it has one, since, y'know, lockout and all that. If it doesn't, then the spirits drift in the Overworld until they find another reality to live in. Worlds that don't have an afterlife basically treat every death as a lockout. Worlds without a creator--because they left or they're spontaneous or whatever--work that way, I think.

"Cibus, I dunno. Looks like it's the celestial plane. Not sure why Pokemon like Sunny over in Treasure Town have access to it, but it's kinda a between thing the Overworld set up. Easy access to a lot of people if you just think to find 'em. And they're accessible, and still those people. Which is kinda weird, because Cibus seems pretty much independent from Overseers, like most worlds..." Soda paused, like that thought had him on a mental tangent. "...Oh right. Truffle's world is kinda fucked, since his operates on reincarnation. So anybody who dies there gets recycled into a new life with their past lives' memories sealed. Then there's Flesh, who was a spontaneous creation in an Ultra Pocket. They fall under that first category I mentioned.

"As for what the gloomy light dragon said, yeah. Some worlds have entities or gods that decide it's pretty nifty to make punishment dimensions. Or they're just entities that trap the dead. That's also fucked. Overseers, when they catch wind of something like that, they usually step in and put a stop to it. Process can take anywhere from days to eons, though, depending on shit like scope and divine cooperativeness." Soda tapped his claws. "I punched a devil once. That was pretty cool."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave squinted increasingly at Soda as he casually dropped about fifteen different bizarre bombshells. You knew you were having a time when "I punched a devil once" wasn't even in the top five things to ask for clarification on. "No, no, no, hold on a fucking second. What the fuck is the Overworld. You're telling me when people die, in a world where there's, you know, fucking nothing - there's no fucking spirit, there's just matter and you're just electronic activity in your physical brain. You're telling me nah, there's a spirit anyway and it just literally goes to some other world because it's locked out of its home universe forever?"

Happy cartoon Pokémon land was just not letting up on the goddamn existential horror. The thought of Will and Mia just floating around in some faraway universe made him feel some kind of way. He squeezed his glass. It flew into his head that he could just go back and take them all, go find where Will and Mia were bobbing around, and just take them all somewhere better.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Pretty much," Soda said, shrugging. "I mean, unless you're in one of those worlds where literally everyone but you is fake, and everyone else was just a simulation. Never ran into a world like that but it's one of those hypotheticals. That's also a fucked reality." Soda tapped his chin. "Actually, that's a pretty big research gig on the Overseers to determine the precise point at which a bunch of electric impulses become an ODSSP Overworld-Dwelling Self-Sustaining Presence." Soda paused. "Or, soul. But I guess they think that kind of terminology is too spiritual for them to take seriously. Like, some early models of Porygon in some worlds don't. But people like Chip and Potluck do. Where's the line, y'know? How'd it all start?

"Oh right, Overworld. Yeah, so... The Overworld isn't actually a place. No matter, no energy, no space, maybe something like time? It's a concept that we use to describe the way we travel from one world to the other. Ultra Space is kinda like the Overworld, if it was somewhere you can actually traverse, and had concepts like space and energy. You know, wormholes and sci-fi shit. I bet if you asked Bahamut or Joule they'd be able to tell you all about those.

"But the Overworld is kinda a place above that. You don't really travel through it, you just are there or you aren't. It's called the Overworld because it's 'over' all worlds, one way or another. You kinda learn from context clues whether someone is referring to Overworld the concept, or Overworld as in, a pocket reality meant for Overseers to coordinate." He ate a few fried potato wedges. "Bean, the Zygarde here? He's an Overseer. Lotsa Zygarde end up being them for some reason."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Right back with even more unexplained terminology. God, this was giving him a fucking headache. He was just going to ignore that bit about universes where only one person is real and everyone else is a simulation. "Who the fuck's the Overseers?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Buncha self-important pricks who go around the Overworld telling people they're doing it wrong," Soda summarized. Then, after a pause, he sighed and grudgingly said, "They're folks who do what we do, but with more organization. Think of it like... a Guild except, like, all. And only for high-tier stuff do they step in if it doesn't resolve itself. World eaters, mad gods, interuniversal criminals, stuff like that. Now that I think about it, makes me wonder if Diyem has anything to do with them, since, you know, Dark Matter and therapy aren't usually a thing."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"...Therapy?" What the fuck was this conversation. Diyem the incarnation of negativity went to therapy?

So Overseers were basically... some kind of bureaucracy of over-gods? So there were people gods were accountable to, if they ever fucking got around to doing anything about it. Fantastic. Was the Overseer bureaucracy accountable to anyone? Probably not, huh.

He stared into his glass. "So what was that about punching a devil?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Okay, so. Punishment dimensions. Ended up doing some Overseer work without actually being associated with 'em, since there was one world that was a pretty rough place thanks to mad gods. Did a bunch of liberating and, uh... Well that's how we met Flesh. He was being held captive there as someone who'd terrorize the place but he was bring driven insane because of it. That's sorta why he's a pacifist now." Soda looked up, thoughtful. "...There are a lot of gods out there who abuse their power. I guess I take that personally."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave raised his eyebrows and chuckled, raising his glass. "Nice. To fucking liberating Hell."

He chugged down what remained of his drink. Soda might not know what privacy was but in this basic way, at least, he had his head screwed on straight.

"So just how evil are the Overseers? Anyone keeping them in check?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Bah." Soda waved dismissively. "They're not. Like, ninety nine percent of them are Big Goodie Two Shoes whatever the fuck. Last one percent are rogue branches that probably get neutralized out or pushed out of the group because they aren't following their mission statement anymore. They regulate themselves on a philosophy of making people suffer less. Bet they're part of the reason why your patron isn't just another evil ball of hatred. Now he's just a grumpy ball of hatred."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave munched on another wing, thinking. "So you're saying they gave Diyem therapy and that just, poof, made him stop being evil?" Honestly that sounded kind of suspect. "Does somebody lead the Overseers, or are they some kind of democratic collective or what?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom