• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Village ~ Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Holy shit, her pal Kyukon could hardly have picked something more appropriate, and in no time at all at that. She hardly dared to let herself get her hopes up. There was no way it'd be that good.

"Yeah, alright," she grumbled. "Can't hurt to take a look."

Brisa took the book and read the synopsis on the inside of the dust jacket. Then she read the first page. Then the second. She tried to keep her expression neutral as shivers went down her neck. Gods, actual decent prose about a character she could actually root for without cringing. Dialogue that rang true to life. The way the protagonist yearned—

"Might be a good read, I guess," she told Icetales, stiffly. "Thank ye kindly fer the recommendation."

Maybe the fox would fuck off and leave her to inhale the entire fucking novel over the next few hours. Wait, no, he was a lovely fella, she wanted to spend more time with him, she shouldn't push him away. She smiled gratefully at her friend, her ears dipping from her slightly flustered state.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Ah, pleased to be of help, Brisa,” said Icetales, grinning and wagging his tails. Nothing made him happier than helping a kindred soul.

He stayed silent as he noticed Brisa reading that book with great interest — voraciously, even if she was trying to hide it.

Huh. By the stars, she must really enjoy that content! Perhaps he should just… give her some room?

“Well! I shall leave thee to thy reading, then. Thou can find me back at the table, if thou need anything anything.”

With that said, he turned around and took some distance from Brisa, before pausing and glancing back.

“…I must admit that I would not have expected thee to like romance. Not that there is anything wrong with that — it is a truly exquisite genre. And it becomes even sweeter when thy heart is—”

Uh oh! What was he thinking about? He immediately froze and his cheeks glowed with a deep shade of blue, then he hastily turned around.

Heavens, heavens, heavens! Foolish lad!

“N-never mind that! Huh. Apologies!”

He took some extra steps forward, leaving a trail of frost behind him. Oh, how embarrassing! Oh, golly!

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa chuckled inwardly at Icetales' surprise at her taste in fiction. How peculiar that Celeste should wrongly think her an experienced lover, and Icetales wrongly think her uninterested in love.

Then she chuckled outwardly at how easily Icetales sabotaged himself.

"What's that about yer heart, pal?" Brisa grinned at the flustered fox. "Somethin' I oughta know?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales bit his tongue — darned mouth! Why couldn’t it stay shut for a little longer?

What was he supposed to say?!

The Ninetales turned around, knowing that it was most impolite to not look into the other’s face during a conversation, and ran a couple of tails on his face. For some reason, he started to feel some heat into his ears.

“I… I would not know about needing to know matters, but—”

“He is feeling in good spirits in recent times.”

…Cripes.

Icetales glanced back to see that Keo’Keo had materialized behind him, smirking and with his flames glowing with a whitish blue hue.

“Our heart hadn’t brimmed with such joy in… well, countless years. And we must give our thanks to C—”

Bwoooh!

A mighty Roar echoed in the restricted space of the shelves (and Icetales inwardly hoped that the librarian wouldn’t keep him away from the library for that stunt).

The black blur that is Keo’Keo was sent flying across the room, but the spectral fox chuckles like a hyena as he melted back into the darkness of the floor. There was another black blur, but the real fox knew that Keo’Keo was nearby. Keeping watch, and laughing with mirth.

“…Err…”

Fantastic. That was supposed to be a simple afternoon. Why did it come to that?

Icetales slowly turned toward Brisa, his cheeks still deep blue. Radiance started flickering around his tails as his heart drummed into his chest.

Oh, gods! Why was he so embarrassed?!

“This… never happened!”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa rolled her eyes at the blundering fox. Seriously?

"Fella, that happened. ...But if it's such a big deal t'ya, I won't press. Don't worry, I ain't about to go blabbin' to anyone. That ain't how I do things."

She grinned at his hesitant expression.

"Be honestly, though. Yer sweet on someone, ain'tcha?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales sighed in defeat. Well, there was no point in hiding that anymore.

“If by ‘sweet on someone’ thou mean feeling like thy mind is walking on clouds, racing a marathon whenever thou see someone…”

The Ninetales sat on his haunches and began scratching his ear with a hind paw, uncaring about looking indecorous. That simple gesture helped him think and relax.

“…then I might have been feeling that. Yes.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa thought about how Astrid made her feel. I want time with you. I can't ruin this. Even if it hurts. Not quite like Icetales described, no. But strong feelings all the same.

"Can't say as I can give you any advice, pal. I'm pretty paralysed on the subject myself, having next-to-no experience an' plenty of reason to believe any relationship founded on Cibus will pass from memory once our time here is over. All th'same... Maybe y'should mention it to the 'mon yer thinkin' of? Before yer time runs short."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales chuckled. Oh, if only it was that easy.

“Heh. That would be the ideal approach, would it not? Alas, this is one of those matters that are easy to say with thy mind, but not with thy tongue.”

He stopped his scratching duty and flicked his ears, his mind clear of any hesitation. It felt good to discuss the topic with someone, he had to admit.

“Which is ironic, truly. I know everything there is to know about courtship, and I have read plenty of books about the matter. But experiencing that powerful burst in thy heart?”

The Ninetales shook his head, looking dejected.

“Oh, there is no amount of knowledge that can prepare thee from that emotional rush!”

Not knowing what else to say, he ran his paw on the floor, drawing random circles while his tails waved erratically. During that pause, his mind focused on something that Brisa just said…

"Can't say as I can give you any advice, pal. I'm pretty paralysed on the subject myself,

“…Pardon me, but is thy heart held spellbound, too?” he asked, tilting his head while his eyes brimmed with curiosity and hopeful glee.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa scoffed. "I dunno about spellbound, partner. I reckon my conception of love and affection is a lil' different t'yers. But there's a gal who makes my heart ache, yeah."

A gal?

Yeah, Astrid. Astrid gave her heartache. She'd known this for a while now.

Just Astrid. Really?

Okay, so she'd liked Curio as well, but that was in the past and there was no point dwelling.

Sure.

"Ah, anyway, I dunno if I got a chance. I already tried addressin' the matter and nothin' came of it. Who knows if anythin' will."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Hm. I see.”

Icetales leaned back, using his own tails like some kind of fluffy cushions, and began pondering about their respective plights.

So, Brisa had attempted something already… Well, that was more than what he did. However, she failed, but she also mentioned that their concept of romance were most likely different.

…Ah. What if she failed for that reason? Because of contrasting cultures and whatnot?

Hm…

“Well, thou never know. I reckon that these affections are like seeds — they need a fertile soil and enough time to sprout and bloom,” he said, his tone gentle. “Perhaps thou just need to wait for them to truly blossom, before attempting once more and with another approach. Give it time and see if anything else comes out of it.”

The Ninetales showed a reassuring face and wagged his tails, trying to give to Brisa some implicit encouragement.

‘Sprouts and blooms…’

Then, Icetales froze and his eyes widened subtly.

‘Heavens! Now I am starting to talk like Miss Cynthian, too?!’

He coughed and beamed another smile, pretending that nothing happened.

“…I guess this is all I can tell. I know that this entire experience is temporary and, well,” his lips quivered, the smile almost breaking, “we will probably forget everything, or almost.”

The Ninetales looked away and rubbed his cheek with a tail. Golly, things were starting to take a depressing turn, hm? He remedied to that by flashing another smile and puffing his chest with confidence.

“Howbeit, that does not mean we cannot make the most out of it while it lasts, no?”

Well, words alone were nice and all, but was there something else he could do to further drive his advice forward?

…Ah, yes.

Without hesitation, he reached out for Brisa with a forepaw and gave her a light and playful push on her shoulder, while a bright smirk shone on his face.

“So high with thy heart! Dost not lose hope! I shall be cheering for thee, yes?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded and gave consideration to his advice. She was patient, she'd been thinking she wasn't direct enough, but maybe with his long lifespan he saw things differently... Then when he shoved her, she shoved him back, returning his smirk. She'd just spoken with Celeste about his feelings, she knew there was substance to that pairing, so she wasn't gonna let Icetales escape her scrutiny!

"Don't think y'can distract me from yer crush, fella. I reckon I might know who it is~"

Brisa smirked at her ninetales friend. Yeah, Luz would get a kick outta this.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Oof! By the stars, evolution had truly done wonders to Brisa and made her much stronger, if that shove was any proof!

Well! Icetales couldn’t wait to see her talent in battle!

…Aaand she mentioned knowing the identity of the soul of his thoughts. Well… the souls.

“Oh, golly! Is it that obvious?” he asked, his voice much quieter.

Then, he felt strange. It was almost like someone was poking his brain with something, like a fiery stick, and his shadow tickled his paws.

…Oh. Right. That was Keo’Keo’s way to say ‘yes, it’s that obvious’.

“I truly am an open book, huh?”

The Ninetales chuckled at his own comment, before remembering the message that he received from Cynthian’s about him having a harem. Something that Bahamut’s had told her, apparently.

He suppressed a shiver and a growl. That old dragon truly loved to make things more complicated that needed, did he not?

“Um, well. There is no point in hiding one’s own feelings, I say.”

The Ninetales looked downward, focusing his gaze on the shadow underneath his body.

“They often end up emerging, in a way or another. So, why hide them to begin with?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Well, all sorts of reasons. To say something at the right time . . . or not say it at the wrong time. To avoid conflict. To be polite. To avoid teasing or recrimination from others. To not be vulnerable. To not be wrong.

But on this, maybe she could help him.

"Oh yeah? Let's hear it then, Icetales. Who's this 'mon who's got yer heart spellbound?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales smirked mischievously, but there was no malice in his expression. It was just a fox wanting to make a little game a bit longer.

“Hazard a guess. My, ah, darkness has been so kind as to drop a hint already. So, who dost thou believe is the lucky fellow or lucky lady, Luxray Brisa?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"That phrasin' don't fool me none, partner. Don't you know how perceptive I am?"

"Thanks, Love! I believe in you too!"
"I let my feelings about him develop into something I wasn't ready for."
And we must give our thanks to C—”
"Or more'n one gal, even."

Icetales narrowed his eyes.

It wasn't that hard to figure out.

"Yer enamoured with a fella and a lady. Celeste an' Cynthian."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
…Well, that was quick.

A part of Icetales considered trying to stall that little game a bit longer and to muddle up the clues. However, the only two other common comrades with names starting with the letter C weren’t around anymore, and he didn’t have tight relationship if them, either.

Heh. No point in procrastinating. He relented with a sigh and a shrug.

“Touché.”

While Icetales felt somewhat good to have emptied his chest, there was something else that was weighing his heart. Should he really…?

Oh, by the bills of Sir Jirachi! They already reached that point, so there was no harm in going forward.

“Though, I wonder whether that is a positive or a negative. Having such strong feelings toward two different individuals,” he rubbed a forepaw on the other, “it is a most uncommon characteristic where I come from. I do not know how things work in thy world nor in any other, but I would not be surprised if nobody in the cortège sympathized with my plight.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Ah, well, where I'm from it depends on yer culture. Townies keep to one lover, and expect to take 'em as a spouse fer life if all works out well. My ma's people, the Escarpa clan, they . . . have a more flexible approach to these things. Mind you, it ain't somethin' I have any experience with personally."

"Yet."

Brisa shot an interrogating look at her Shadow, whose normal fatigued expression was struck through with something unfamiliar.

"Say, Brisa. Didn't y'just say a minute ago that you'd care to read somethin' about a gal with more'n one lover?"

Brisa's whiskers twitched.

"I guess."

Sombra just smiled, slowly.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"Oh?"

Icetales glanced at the source of the voice, finding a Luxray made of raw shadow. It was very easy to guess who that was.

"Thou art the Shadow of Brisa here, hm?" he said, before bowing with respect. "Greetings. Dost thou have a name?"

At hearing the mention of a Shadow, Keo’Keo peeked from behind a shelf. In his dark fangs were stuck pieces of papers, and if someone focused on them, they could see sketches of Marshadow and similar figures.

“Fascinating,” he mused, staring at the other Shadow. “So we are not the only ones who hold our real feelings bare, hm?”

Something about what Keo’Keo said made Icetales think.

‘Hold our real feelings bare…?’

He glanced momentarily at Sombra…

"Say, Brisa. Didn't y'just say a minute ago that you'd care to read somethin' about a gal with more'n one lover?"

[…]

Sombra just smiled, slowly.

‘...Wait. Does that mean...?’

"Brisa," Icetales grinned, almost hopeful, "thou have set thy sight on two or more ladies?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"I go by Sombra, as much as it matters. We've already met, Kyukon. Y'know Brisa, so y'know me."

Brisa's tail thrashed anxiously. She was still coming to terms with Sombra, and this side of her, this blunt, sassy Shadow, was unpredictable.

"We ain't exactly tryin' to court two ladies, as such."

Brisa growled. "No, I– I just... I've felt heartache fer more'n one gal at a time once or twice. My parents didn't keep their intimacy wholly between theirselves, either. But all the romantic literature I've ever read was townie stuff, where that's unacceptable. Jus' thought I might luck out here with somethin' that don't make me feel like shit fer havin' a bigger heart than that."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“…A-ha.” Icetales nodded in understanding, knowing well how foggy the heart could be. “Yes, the matters of the heart are truly intricate, and different cultures look at them through different filters, often discordant.” He flashed a sad smile. “I know how it feels like to have societal impositions and limitations imposed on thee, and how enthralling it is to have such restrictions removed.”

“Verily. Heartbreak and drama aside, we have felt more free here than we ever felt throughout most of our life.”

The voice of the darkness was loud and clear, and upon looking at his side, Icetales noticed that Keo’Keo had walked forward. There were still a few bits of paper in his jaws, but they were nothing in comparison to the bright blue flames.

“Oh. Darkness mine.”

“And that has been most liberating, in many aspects.” Keo’Keo shook his head, appearing somewhat displeased. “Even though, my host here still refuses to let himself go completely.”

Icetales frowned. Letting himself go was the last thing he wanted, especially if doing so meant going back to those times.

“Thou know why I cannot do that,” said Icetales, firmly.

Keo’Keo tilted his head, looking unimpressed. “Yes, yes. I know. Darkness. Father. Bloodline. Blah blah.” He beamed a crooked smirk. “Basically all of me, thy dear Keo’Keo.”

Oh, why was his darkness so nervy? And yet, Icetales didn’t have anything to say in response, knowing well that what Keo’Keo was saying was the truth.

Feeling the hesitation, the Shadow dropped the matter in that instant. It was clear that his host wasn’t ready to talk about his origins.

“…Regardless, we both agree on one detail.” Keo’Keo turned to Brisa. “Follow thy heart and open it to those ladies. Time in this world is limited — dost not let tension and doubts stop thee from spending wonderful moments with them.”

In a flash, the mane erupted in a glorious spectacle of golden flames, while a serene smile appeared on Keo’Keo’s face. It was so stunning that even the real Ninetales was taken aback. Was that… light? The light in the darkness? W-what did that mean?

“We shall support thee in that endeavor. Thou have our word.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom