• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[CYOA] You Are a Rock

Post 1-1 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    [Note: Discussion and rules/mechanics are posted here.]

--​

You are... here.

No sight. No sound. No touch. Not even a smell or a taste.

Yet, you know what these things are. You have no memory of why, or what you had done before. It was knowledge imparted to you.

You have a sense of urgency. You have thoughts and emotions that are walled off behind a thousand layers of suffocating miasma. Like you weren't meant to think.

And you are drifting off...

<><><>​

It's cold. You don't like the cold.

<><><>
    It's warmer. That's better.

<><><>
    How long has it been? You're tired again...

<><><>

<><><>

<><><>

You aren't as tired today. "Today." Is it "today?" You can't tell. Your sense of time had also been gone. Gone? Did you ever have it, or do you only know about it from that bestowed knowledge?

Now that you've had a moment to gather your thoughts, as few and as muddled as they were, you realize... you aren't going back to sleep anymore.

You can think? And more clearly! Amazing!

Skill acquired: Consider
    You gained 2 Consideration slots!

Keep things in mind for later. Each time you Consider something, a Prominence point will be added to the thought, which will decrease by 1 per post.

New Considerations will replace old ones if they have more Prominence and you are out of slots.

Check the rules for more info!

But... there isn't a whole lot you can do with just thinking.

Once again, you are lost.

The fact that you're here at all, though. That means you're getting stronger. Stronger... stronger means something to you. You know that word, that concept. But... from zero, a thoughtless nothing, anything would be stronger. And you...

HP: 3/3
    Offense: 1
    Defense: 1

...Do not seem to have much.

Oh no. You feel yourself drifting off again. Afloat in an endless sea of temperature-less nothing, just on the surface and about to bob under again. How long will it be next time? Worry bubbles in your... not-gut. You aren't even sure what you are yet. Who you are, who you were? Was there a before? It's all blank and muddy.

Alone, utterly isolated with your thoughts... Yet, for some reason, you don't feel lonely.

All you know is you can't do this forever. You're tired of being tired. But what can you do about it?

DECISION

What is your current priority?

1. I'm just too weak. I need to relax and gather my thoughts... (+2 HP)
    2. I can't go to sleep yet! I need to take action! (+1 Offense)
    3. I don't know enough. Maybe if I anchor myself, I'll notice something... (+1 Defense)

Current Status

Offense: 1

Considerations:
    -
    -

Post 1-2 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS
    Action: 2
    Relax: 1
    Anchor: 1

Take Action! +1 Offense!

Gained Considerations:
    - (2) Why do I feel a sense of urgency?
    - (1) The sun is gone. It must be brought.

There was no telling when you would wake up again, if it would be the next day or year, or how many years had already passed. Yes! You had to take action, past your doubts and your caution.

But what were you supposed to do? Take action, what did that mean when you lacked any kind of sense? You could think. Maybe you could... think harder? Think faster? That, too, was meaningless.

Why were you so urgent? What... did you leave behind?

Panic wells up inside your mind, but this time it is more controlled. You have to seize something.

The sun--sight, your senses, had been taken from you. You knew what sight was before. Why, then, do you no longer have it? Or was this knowledge, granted? The thoughts once again swirl through your mind as everything slows down.

It must be brought.

Maybe you were being given this as a goal. That is just as equal an option.

Through an act of pure will, you dig deep into your "self" and try to find an answer.

You get your first sense of warmth. Something around you. All around you. Sunlight?

But you take action. The sun must be brought!

Performed ???! Gained 2 Energy!

You reach out with your mind. It feels like you are stretching limbs you never had, digging into the darkness to unearth a thousand years of dust from an even older coffin. In this timeless state, you do not know if this goes on for a day or a decade.

And the sun is returned.

Green. Dazzling green. Tall, tall trees--you know those things, trees, you know green, you know many things around you automatically. Knowledge buried within you now returned.

You are in a small clearing about ten feet across. The trees are tall but from your low angle, you can't tell how high they go. However, the light from the sun filters through the canopy where a few birds nest. It's noon. Maybe late noon.

You can see all around you and hear things again. The sensation overwhelms you at first as the seconds tick by at a pace you can finally measure. Yet, you still do not know how long it had been before you "returned." You could cry, but for some reason you can't.

But there is one thing that bothers you. Even though you can "look" around, "hear" things, even have a sense of warmth in the air that tells you it is spring or summer... you can also look at yourself. It's like you are projecting and then looking away, an out-of-body experience.

Except... you can't see a body.

You see...

A...

Rock?

That's you. Right there. Sitting in a small clearing in an unknown forest. Gray, lumpy, and completely unassuming, nestled between a patch of grass about two inches tall and another pebble you are confident is inanimate. It's just you, a rock about the size of an orange.

This upsets you and you don't know why. But as you think about it more, about your urgency from earlier, you realize something crucial: If you were urgently trying to come alive, and there was now nobody around, that meant... you were on a mission, or someone sent you, or created you, to fulfill some kind of mission.

But how the hell were you supposed to complete that mission... as a rock?!

For a short while, you fester with these thoughts, wishing you had a throat to grumble with. And your restless, action-seeking nature has you rumbling with anticipation.

Literally.

You can rumble. Experimentally, you... try to move. The feeling is foreign and strenuous. You have no idea how you're doing it except my squeezing muscles you don't have, like your very soul was willing this rock to move. Move! MOVE!

And you do. You roll one revolution to the right. There is no sense of up or down with your body, so thankfully you cannot get dizzy.

Baby steps. Or, rolls, in your case. It's a start.

You can see about thirty feet in any direction before it gets hazy like a swirl of colors. Not the best vision. But it's better than nothing. Your hearing is a little better, mostly through vibrations in the ground, but you can also sense things in the air. The warmth of the sun is nice, too. You can "feel" the softness of the grass below your rocky body. The dirt underneath you is healthy. The dirt feels nostalgic like an old bed. But you cannot stay there any longer.

After wondering if you should apologize to the dirt for leaving it behind, you consider your next steps. But not long after this, something at the edge of your clearer vision catches your attention. Something is there, some kind of four-legged Pokemon. Small, but still larger than you, of course. He is sniffing around, looking angry.

Then, it stares directly at your body. Growls. And then runs away.

That was probably meaningful...

DECISION

What do you do about the Pokemon?

1. Pursue.
    2. Hide.
    3. Flee.
    4. Stay still.

Current Status

Energy: 2/3
    Offense: 2

Considerations:
    - (1) Why do I feel a sense of urgency?
    - (!) The sun is gone. It must be brought.

Post 1-3 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS
    Pursue: 3

Pursue!

Gained Considerations:
    - (2) Everybody wants a rock.
    - (Conflicted!) Why do I feel a sense of urgency?

You are lost and without any memories of what happened or why you were there. At this point, even a potentially hostile presence might be better than nothing. That is your conclusion. So, with the energy you have, you roll forward and follow the canine as quickly as you can.

Unfortunately, that is not very fast.

The canine doubles back every now and then to growl at you more loudly. At this point, it knows you are following... but that was the point, wasn't it? There is no point in stealth when you're literally a rock.

But when you keep inching closer, its growls instead become ferocious barks and it lunges at you! You're too slow to dodge and it slams directly into you like a Tackle.

Ouch! Took 1 HP in damage.

But that was expected. Everyone wants a rock! You, perhaps, had to win it over somehow. With your rockiness.

Now that you are closer, you have a better idea of the species. It floats to the top of your mind like hidden knowledge: Lillipup.

"Hey! Lilly! Bad!"

But before Lillipup could attack you even further, a voice calls from out of your vision. Lillipup stops instantly and downgrades back to growling at you. This doesn't have much of an effect, but you realize this is actually another technique it knows...

Someone new enters your vision range. It's... yes, you recognize this species, too. This one is a human. Female, wearing a brown skirt and green dress. Her hair matched her skirt's color. Her shoes and socks suggested she was ready to rough it in uneven or wetter terrain, but the rest of her attire confirmed that it was certainly spring or summer and not anything colder.

There is something special about humans that sets them apart from all other species. They have a different classification than Lillipup, who is a Pokemon.

Were you a human once? Were you a Pokemon? Or something else entirely? You knew a lot about human culture, but that, too, could have been knowledge imparted.

These thoughts swirl in your mind as this human reminds you of all the strangeness of your hazy background. You are... conflicted. Does that matter right now? If you couldn't remember anything about it, maybe it would show up later. Or maybe it wasn't important at all. You are left wondering if you are supposed to find your purpose, rediscover this old purpose, or... not care at all.

Maybe just being a rock was okay?

"Lilly," she said, picking up Lillipup, who whined and licked her face. "What's the matter? That's not like you."

Lilly barked again and then glared at you. She seemed upset like you offended her about something before you could see. Maybe you had accidentally flailed into her before?

Well... everybody wants a rock. Maybe this human could be your way of getting more answers. More importantly, humans were harmless. You remember this. Compared to Pokemon, humans could not do a whole lot of damage. This human probably can't harm you.

"That rock?" the human asks. "How strange! It... just looks like a normal rock, Lilly."

Lilly growls again.

Everybody wants a rock! Still wanting to take action, you nudge yourself forward, rolling a few revolutions closer.

"Ah!" the human shouts in surprise. "Oh! It's alive! Um... I think..."

Okay. You have her attention! And Lilly is still growling. It's beginning to get annoying.

"Hi," the human says. "My name is Millie. And this is Lilly! Say hi, Lilly."

Lilly growls back. But this time, Lilly is trying to convey a begrudging greeting to you. Yes, you understand Lilly... sort of.

"So, um... are you a Pokemon?" Millie asks. "I don't think I've ever seen a... rock... that could move like this in Pinwheel Forest."

Ah, yes. Talking. Conversation. You knew about conversations. Those usually required mouths. This was going to be awkward.

But maybe, just maybe, if you tried really hard... yes! You can do this. You're confident that, if you put your mind to it, you CAN talk... telepathically!

Things were looking up now!

Special Action Discovered:
    Telepathy
    Energy cost: 0
    Action Limit: Unlimited
    Target: Single (30 feet) or Everyone (30 feet)

You can talk! You may project your thoughts into a single target, or broadcast your thoughts for anyone in range to hear you.

Special Actions can be picked along with any Decisions or Considerations in the same post. You can only select one Special Action per post, but multiple Special Actions can be taken at once.
    All Actions have an Action Limit. That is, how many times you can perform that specific action. Telepathy is Unlimited: in other words, anything you say will be said, unless it is specifically rejected.
    In the event of a tie, the first Special Action in the tie to reach that value will break it, if there is a conflict in how many actions can be taken.

There is no decision to make here. You should reply to her! Try using Special Actions now.

A new "Special Action" list has been added to the discussion thread.

Current Status

HP: 2/3

Considerations:
    - (1) Everybody wants a rock.
    -

Post 1-4 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS
    Considerations:
    - (1) If you don't know what you want, take power.
    - (1) How do I know what a Lillipup is?

Millie listens first to the great ramblings of you, a seemingly maddened rock. She starts off with a smile, and picks the rock up to inspect it, turning it over and looking for signs of a speaker. Odd, you can get the impression of some of her intents just by proximity.

Once you're done talking, ending with "Do you have any suggestions for what my purpose in life should be?" she is already setting you down and walking away.

"Ah! Wait!" you cry, rolling after her. She stops and turns around, glaring at you skeptically. "It was it was just a joke, just a joke, you see!" you explain. "I don't... know what came over me. I was feeling talkative and whimsical. You know, after... being an unthinking rock, and then going to a rock, ah... I do mean that last part, though. I don't know why I'm here."

Lillipup growls at you, headbutting you. It is thankfully not a harmful strike, more one of annoyance.

"...R... right," Millie says. "You seemed... a lot different before you started talking."

Ouch. That feels like an 'I liked you better when you couldn't talk' statement if you ever heard one. And you might have. Hard to tell when you lack memories.

"Let's start over," you say. "Umm... where are we?"

"Pinwheel Forest," Millie said, crouching down to pick you up again. At the greater height, it is easier to see from a better vantage point, but you cannot see any further than before. It's too hazy after a stone's throw away. Ironic.

"I don't know what that is," you admit.

"Huh. Well, it's a little forest between Skyarrow Bridge and Nacrene City. ...You recognize those names at all?"

"No."

"Hmm... Well, Mister Rock, I don't really know how I'd be able to help... But I can try asking--"

"Is everything alright over there?" calls a growling voice.

"Ah!" Suddenly, Millie shoves you into her bag. Your new friends are empty Pokeballs, some used Potion sprays, and a notebook.

Strange. You can still see outside a little as long as the cover is open. You 'project' yourself vertically and can still see what is happening.

Lily, meanwhile, hops into the same bag you're in as Millie walks to the new voice.

A thought occurs to you. "Why did you run away?" you ask Lily, specifically.

Lily growls back and turns her head away. You had offended her. And you are not able to understand Lily very easily... but you get the impression you must have hurt her after all.

The source of the voice is finally past the haze. You see that it was... an Arcanine. Hidden away, something tells you not to speak up for now, despite any impulses you may feel.

"Hm. You smell unharmed," Arcanine said.

"Y-yes, Arcanine. Thank you."

"I thought I heard a shout. I apologize." He bowed. You notice he has a bag near the left of his neck with a curious emblem keeping it closed. It looks much like an egg with wings, or some kind of badge or group insignia. He also wears a purple scarf that trails along the other side of his neck.

Interesting. Some Pokemon can talk and others can't? Something about that is strange to you.

"We had strange energy readings in the area," warns Arcanine. "You should leave and return home. I'm sorry if that interrupts any hiking."

"Oh, no, it doesn't," Millie says. "I'll go."

Arcanine nods, turns around, and in a single leap, leaves your vision range. Millie watches for a while longer and sighs. "Weirdo..."

You wiggle out of the bag until your top half is outside. "I don't have much knowledge right now... and I know what your partner is... but I don't know why," you say. "I don't know why I know some things."

"Maybe... maybe you have amnesia, but you remembered a few other things?" Millie suggests. "Hmm..."

"Well... I don't know where I am, or who I am, or where I should be going... Perhaps I should be focused on gathering power."

"Power, huh?" Millie looked pensive. "Well, I don't know if I can help you there. I just go on hikes with Lily... Maybe I can take you to Nacrene City, where I live, and you can... find something? Or you can... live quietly and try to gain some knowledge... passively? Maybe your memories will come back on their own!"

"Hrm..."

You are left with a dilemma. Millie does not seem like she can provide you with much, but she is also the only anchor you have in this world so far. But you need to gather power if nothing else. Maybe that can dislodge something from your lost memories...

It's too early for you to think of long-term solutions, but you do need to decide one thing for now. And you still have more questions than answers. Where could you get more? What was best to prioritize?

DECISION

Where do you go?
    1. Go with Millie to Nacrene City.
    2. Stay in Pinwheel Forest.
    3. Go to Skyarrow Bridge.

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (!) If you don't know what you want, take power.
    - (!) How do I know what a Lillipup is?

Nacrene Town -> Nacrene City

Last edited:
    Post 1-5 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS
    Go with Millie: 2

Go with Millie!

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to rest and recover my health.
    -

"I'll go with you for now," you say.

You do not know anything about this place. If Millie is going to be friendly and helpful, you are best off to take the offer.

"Great. If that's the case, I'll just take a short walk back!"

With a smile and gently patting you into her bag, Millie walks out of the thick of the forest and onto a main road. You're lost and unsure of what to do... but at least you have someone to help you along the way.

This could be the start of a rocky road to recovery.

<><><>

Part I ~ A Rocky Start

A few minutes have passed comfortably and you still feel fatigued. The sun's occasional beams of light warm you, though at this point you have deduced that you are not solar-powered and only appreciate the light for its warmth.

"There's apparently a distortion, so... mmm, I don't really like that," Millie says. "I haven't seen anything, at least..."

"A distortion?" you repeat.

She nods. "Strange pockets in the world that seem to bring in hostile Pokemon. At around the same time, those talking Pokemon also showed up all around the world..."

"Humans and Pokemon can... talk?"

"To each other? Sure!" Millie smiles down at Lily. "In a sense, I think Pokemon can understand humans just fine! In... feelings. It makes sense to me, at least."

"Not the exact words, but the feelings behind them," you repeat. That feels familiar. Maybe this is part of your submerged knowledge base.

Lily tiredly yarns and then presses her nose against one of the capsules in her bag. In a wash of red light, she disappears right before you, that light pouring into the ball.

"...Your capsule devoured your friend."

"Oh! You don't know what a Pokeball is! That's okay. She's just fine. Pokemon like going inside those capsules to relax."

An uncomfortable thought runs through your rocky mind. Would you be able to enter one of those? Are you a pokemon? You need to recover, but...

"Are there other ways to recover?" you ask.

"A good night's sleep?"

"Ah."

"You could rest at my home, of course! I'll find a good... nightstand... for you..."

You do not know what a nightstand is but it sounds offensive. "What is your home like?" you ask instead.

"Oh, it's a small apartment along the main street," she says dismissively. "It's not all that large, but it works for why I'm here."

"Let's go there first," you say. "I'm still... weak. I need to recover after that little tussle with Lily."

"Oh, I'm so sorry about her. She gets a little feisty with anything she doesn't understand."

No kidding. You press yourself a little deeper into the bag and glare at the capsule. How dare she. Maybe when you're stronger, you can give her a piece of your mind...

Millie suddenly stops walking. The shift in momentum rolls you a little in her bag. You nudge your way to the top and project yourself higher to see what she's seeing.

"Oh," she says.

Right in the middle of the road, two lampposts that marked the way into the city only a block ahead... were twisted into an impossible spiral, becoming an archway rather than two posts. The air rippled as if a pond had been turned into a vertical, rippling wall.

You know enough about "words" to know that when someone sees this, they would call it a "distortion."

"That's... the road home," Millie says. "And it's a..."

DECISION

What now?

1. If we run through and don't stop, we'll get by without trouble!
    2. If we go off the beaten path, we'll avoid the distortion entirely.
    3. Why don't we camp out until those talking Pokemon figure it out?

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (!) I need to rest and recover my health.
    -

Post 1-6 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS
    Camp Out: 1
    Beaten Path: 2

Decision: Let's go around...

Considerations:
    - (2) I need to learn how to fight!
    - (1) Why do distortions happen?

"You aren't a fighter, right?" you ask Millie.

"Not really... I used to train as a hobby, but that fell off. Now I go hiking when I'm not at work. You know, simple hobbies."

"I am not good at fighting, either," you say. "We shouldn't risk going into that place just yet."

"Right. Let's try to go around. I know an alternative path if we go this way over the gate..."

She moves over the gate and walks south, past the thick trees while carefully avoiding any Bug webs and other tall grass that Pokemon may be hiding within.

"Why do these distortions happen to begin with?" you ask. "You seem used to them."

"Don't really know," Millie says. "The government says to stay away. And, well, makes sense. Hostile Pokemon are inside. Those talking Pokemon know how to get rid of them, though, so we leave it to those folks. They're a little secretive..."

Strange all around. It does not seem like Millie knows much more than you do.

"I think," you say, "I need to get strong enough to fight."

"As... as a rock?"

"Yes. It's as I said, I have been getting very strong already."

"...Right." Millie sighed. "Well, I'm not much of a trainer. Maybe I can show you to the Gym Leader..."

"Gym Leader?" You are unfamiliar with this.

"They're community leaders who specialize in Pokemon Battling. And it just so happens that where I live, the Gym Leader is an expert on stones and archaeology! Maybe she'll even have insight on, you know, who or what you are!"

That sounds promising. Assuming that's a good idea, at least... But you will have time to think about that later.

There is a river up ahead with a few odd stones that are perfect for hopping. Millie secures you in the bag and hops over them with practiced ease...

But once she gets halfway across the river, with the other side about twenty feet away, she wobbles and stops. "Uh oh."

Up ahead, a Basculin popped its head out of the water, glaring at Millie for some unknown transgression. It fires a beam of water just over her head. She ducks--and jostles you firmly out of her bag.

SPLASH!

Good news! You don't have to breathe. Bad news! You can't swim.

You sink to the bottom of the lake like the rock you are. Thankfully, you can still project yourself above the surface and determine that this part of the river is mercifully only a few feet deep.

Good news! The Basculin does not notice you. Bad news! It is definitely after Millie.

Millie is already digging into her bag to pull out Lily's Pokeball. This was just what you were worried about. You need to fight, you need to at least do something. And you are sure that you'd once reached out to do something before... You are not sure if you can do that anymore. But maybe, if you concentrate...

Yes. You can propel yourself forward at such a close range... or you can propel raw aura energy outward instead. It would be weaker, but it feels like you can shoot it as far as your limited vision goes...

You only know that you have to do something.

DECISION

Learn (and then use) a new Special Action: Attack!
    You can only use one Attack per post, but it counts as another Special Action.

What is your first Move to learn, and then immediately use?

1. Smash into the foe! (Rocky Tackle. Melee. Energy: 1. Bonus damage: 1)
    2. Blast the foe! (Rocky Beam. Ranged. Energy: 1. Bonus damage: 0)

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to learn how to fight!
    - (!) Why do distortions happen?

Last edited:
    Post 1-7 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS
    Rocky Tackle: 2

Decision: Rocky Tackle!

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to learn how to fight!
    - (1) I need to protect Millie and Lily!

You had spent only a few moments awake and Millie was the first person to find you. Now, she is in danger. It makes sense to do everything you can to protect her for one reason or another.

You quickly spring into action, drawing from an unknown, deep well of energy within you, so far out of reach. You are more than a rock. You are... a flying rock! For at least a half-second!

Rocky Tackle! You strike Basculin, dealing 3 damage! Basculin goes down!

Victory!

A clean shot is all it takes. You hear a crunch and a hiss just as you collide with Basculin when it leaps out of the water. When it lands back in the river, it is floating on its side. You are not sure if you killed it or not...

But you know that Pokemon are typically more durable than that, especially against a rock of all things. It is probably fine.

Millie pulls out her Pokeball after, but then sees you. "Oh, you... already took care of it," she said. "Wow. That was some quick thinking."

"Yes! I do my best!" you say as you sink to the shallow riverbed again. Your telepathy is unimpeded by water. "It seemed necessary to protect you."

Millie giggled. "Well, you've been... strange and sounding a lot more like a valiant hero than before," she said. "Maybe you were an adventurer who got cursed to become a stone!"

Is that the case? It does not ring at all familiar to you.

"Anyway, let's keep going before more of its friends show up," Millie says, taking you from the river and pocketing you in her bag again.

"Are you hurt?" you ask, making sure Millie and Lily were safe, just in case.

"No, just fine," Millie replies.

"I... didn't know I could do that. But I was desperate to learn how to fight. I took a... direct approach."

"It worked, so I won't complain!" Millie says. "That was a strong blow. I don't know if Lily can do that..."

But Millie is not a trainer. Compared to a trained Pokemon, are you as strong? You still don't know.

Millie crosses the river and sighs. "It's safe from here," she says, taking you on the way...

<><><>
    Nacrene City's details are hazy to you. In your immediate vision, you see humble buildings with dark green rooftops built right against the forest. Gray roads line each street before giving way to brown paths and cobblestone. You pass by an orange building that has a lot of foot traffic this evening, and then Millie enters one of the green roof buildings.

She tosses her bag (and you) onto her bed on reflex. Suddenly, she shouts, "Oh, no! I'm sorry!"

You cannot feel dizzy, but you feel as though, if you could, you would have been. "I'm okay!" you call.

"Force of habit," Millie says. "Lily likes the toss."

Just then, Lily appears from her Pokeball in a pouring of light, yipping happily and sprinting around small apartment that is entirely within your vision. You can project yourself and explore the halls in silence.

Millie settles against the couch after setting you on a nearby nightstand. She takes some time to explain to you the various strange appliances--nearly every one foreign to you--in her room.

Her living room doubles as a kitchen and then triples as her bedroom, with her bed on the far side of the room where you had been thrown, a kitchen near the front door, and a television on the wall within viewing of both her bed and a small table near the stove. You do not know what most of these things are beyond their basic function in this strange land, but you get the gist. You are a fast learner.

What strikes you most of all, though, is how so many of these functional pieces of equipment can be reached from only ten of Millie's paces in any direction.

Even as a little rock, it feels cramped.

"Let's see if that distortion is on TV," Millie says, prodding the television remote and flipping through the channels. A square of light flickers into different colors before settling on a lady in a box speaking to you and Millie.

"--Pinwheel Forest just thirty minutes ago. The Amber Knights have already stepped into the dungeon to find and dispel its core. Until then, civilians are advised to steer clear of the area."

The screen switches to a familiar Arcanine.

"This is a Class D Dungeon. It poses little threat to most, but that's no reason to wander inside. Hostile Pokemon can still catch you off guard. Please, let us do our work."

"Amber Knights," you echo. It is not familiar. But something about it...

"I don't get them," Millie said. "Trainers can handle these Dungeons on their own, you know. And a Class D Dungeon? I bet even Lily and I could handle going through something like that. Those Knights always look down on us ever since they arrived, like we're some... second-rate civilization."

"How long have they been here?" you ask.

"Uhh... I think a year or so, now?" Millie repeats, leaning back. "Let's see, Team Plasma iced over Opelucid City about ten years ago, I think. So we had... ugh. Not even a decade of nothing stupid happening in Unova. And it's not slowing down, either! Nobody knows what's causing these distortions, and the Amber Knights are apparently a super secret organization that even the Unova government won't disclose. Just showed up one day and asserted themselves as the designated saviors for all things Dungeon."

She puffs out her cheeks.

"It's not even a dungeon anyway. No chains or cells or anything."

This seems like a good time to ask a few questions as the world darkens. You think that a good night's rest... if you can rest... will restore your health, too, and perhaps even give you time to synthesize what you learned and hone your strength for the next day.

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (!) I need to learn how to fight!
    - (!) I need to protect Millie and Lily!

Last edited:
    Post 1-8 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Considerations:
    - (1) What is my name?
    - (1) What feeling do I get about the Amber Knights?

"Are distortions appearing all over the world," you say, "or only in Unova?"

"Oh. They're just here and in Kalos. Kind of."

"Kind of."

Millie takes out her phone--another, smaller box of light--and flicks her fingers through it. How fascinating... One box uses a device to control it, and another, humans can control with their fingers. Maybe it is some kind of aura technology.

"Yeah, here it is," Millie says. "The distortions actually started in Kalos, you see. And then spread from there. I mean, Unova and Kalos are far off, but, I guess we're just the next victims. For all we know, there might be distortions in the ocean, too. Kalos has it bad, though. As of a few months ago, it's basically one giant Dungeon."

"Sorry? A whole region, a Dungeon?"

Millie nods. "No idea how they did it, but they're still a functioning region despite that. I guess when life gives you lemons..."

"An entire region inside a Dungeon..." Well, you have not seen what a Dungeon is like on the inside yet. Perhaps it is not as bad.

"Kalos has the Crystal Knights," Millie goes on. "Same group, different division. There's also another division that specializes in traversing different parts of the world... maybe scouting for more distortions. Don't know much about them, though."

These 'Knights'... You know the term, but you are unsure how to feel about them. If you really think about it, though... You have a bad feeling about their true intent. In your nonexistent gut, you sense that there is more to it than protecting Unova and Kalos and the rest of this world. What is their true goal, you wonder.

"You know," you go on after a silence of watching a news story about a lost-and-rescued Munna, "I don't believe I have a name."

"Oh, huh. I mean, I could... call you Rocky? Stoney?"

"...I don't think that's my name."

"Oh, you think you had one before?"

"I don't know."

"Wow. That's serious amnesia... if it's amnesia." Millie frowns. "Well... Were you thinking of a name?"

"Not really. Just wondering what it used to be," you reply.

"Well... Until you figure out your real name, how about I call you... Stone! After the old Hoenn Champion."

You have no idea who that is. Also, that name sounds... uncreative.

But you don't have many other options... do you?

DECISION

For now, what is your name?

1. Stone sounds great!
    2. I'll go without a name for now.
    3. How about. . .

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (!) What is my name?
    - (!) What feeling do I get about the Amber Knights?

Post 1-9 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Your name is... Cobble!

Considerations:
    -
    -

It is nice to relax without having to worry about your memories or the other things you do not know. But there is one thing you could solve... Your name! For now, at least.

"How about... Cobble?"

"...As in, Cobble Stone?"

"Yes! That seems appropriate. It's an idea I got."

Millie sighs. "Great. This rock I saved is a pun master, too, apparently."

"Perhaps that was what I used to be," you suggest. "Still, it will be good to have a name to introduce myself to others, if it's relevant. Speaking of useful, though... Aside from the Knights, is anyone else fighting the distortions?"

Millie shrugs. "I guess some people try to. Maybe they succeed? I don't really know... Not what I pay attention to."

"I see..." So Millie was ultimately uninvolved in all of this.

"But it sounds like you're trying to get more involved," says Millie. "Is that your plan? To get involved in these distortions?"

"I feel as though they might be relevant," you admit. "Even if I don't know how... It is the closest thing to abnormal I can think of. But only after we see that Gym Leader tomorrow."

"Oh, yeah. That's right..." Millie signs. "I'm going to get ready for bed. If you sleep, um... Go do that, I guess?"

You do not know if you sleep.

But as Millie leaves you alone to your rocky thoughts, you settle in the nightstand and find that it is... comfortable. You relax...

Tomorrow will be another day. You will speak to the Gym Leader, get information if they have any, and...

And then what?

DECISION

You are relaxing and have gotten stronger! +1 HP! +1 Energy! Also, your energy and your HP is restored!

You also meditate and think about your new approach. After you speak to the Gym Leader, what would be left?

1. I should be patient and see if new information comes. (+2 HP)
    2. I may not know what to do, but I should just TRY things. (+2 Energy)
    3. I should just take on those distortions myself! (+1 Offense)
    4. Should I be doing anything? Am I ready for this? (+1 Defense)

Current Status
    HP: 4/4
    Energy: 4/4

Considerations:
    -
    -

Post 1-10 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

I may not know what to do, but I should just TRY things. (+2 Energy)

Considerations:
    - (2) I need to learn more about myself. Who was I? Who... am I?
    -

You drift off into something like a trance. Maybe it's sleep, maybe it isn't. You are vaguely aware of your surroundings all night, but it does not feel as relevant to you. Everything relaxes. Your energies have time to reorient. And by the time the human stirs for her morning routine, you feel perfectly refreshed and ready to go.

<><><>
    "Hmmm... I've never seen a stone like this before!"

As it turned out, Lenora was no longer a Gym Leader, despite Millie's words. She had retired from being one for a long time and took on running the museum instead. The museum head, Lenora, is another human with darker skin and astonishingly greenish-blue hair about twice the size of her head. She must be another variant of humans.

You stayed quiet up to this point, recognizing that speaking in public would have drawn more attention than you would have wanted. You had to get information from Lenora, and from there, you had to find something actionable to do. If Lenora had nothing for you, then you plan to find somewhere else to get that information. Anything to learn who you are, or who you had been.

Now, you are in the back study room with Millie, Lily, and Lenora.

"Nothing at all?" Millie asks.

"Well, I can say one thing. It's a very, very interesting stone. Now, I specialize in bones and fossils... and I can tell at a glance that it's made of similar minerals. Yet... Hmm... Oh, if I just had an extra day or two to study it more..."

An extra day or two? You don't have that kind of time! You are restless. You are bursting with energy. And with that combined with your need to find out just what you are... you break your silence.

"Nothing at all?"

Startled, Lenora drops her tools and scrambles to catch the most expensive one, narrowly achieving this. Millie facepalms, sighing. Lily growls disapprovingly at you.

"Yes! It is I, Cobble, the talking stone," you exclaim. "...Please help me figure out why I am a talking stone."

"Oh..." And just as quickly, Lenora regains her composure and studies you more intensely. "Not a fossil, but a petrified... someone. Now that is very new. In fact... Oh, hold on. I can check something."

She scours her shelves. You have no idea how it's organized, but it's in such a way that after only a few seconds, she is pulling out a specific book and flipping through the pages. "Let's see, let's see... Spiritomb. It's said that Spiritomb is a Pokemon made from numerous spirits that had been punished and sealed inside a rock. Or, that is the story for one such Spiritomb... Of course, not every Spiritomb is like this, but perhaps the species' origin. That's the theory, at least.

"Ahh... but you have no identifying markings. And you aren't the right shape, either." Lenora sighs. "I'm sorry. I don't think you're a Spiritomb. But you might be related..."

"Do you have any idea at all?" Millie asks.

Lenora hums again, crossing her arms. "...There are other tales of Pokemon that become stones, like Reshiram and Zekrom. But both of them are already accounted for and in the care of other Trainers, and he looks nothing like those stones at all. Ruling those out... This is as far as I can go," she admits. "Sorry. But with how strange this is, I wonder if you might get the interest of Elite Four Shauntal and Caitlin. They're Ghost and Psychic specialists. And this seems... spectral in some way. Could it be related?"

The Elite Four... They sound important.

"That's really far away," Millie says nervously. "I don't know if I can afford to go that far..."

An uncertain silence descends upon the room.

However, before you have time to respond to any of it with your own thoughts, something pings your senses from the upper floor. Someone is coming down into the room.

"E-excuse me! You can't go down there!" someone shouts. You recognize it as the human at the front of the museum who allows people inside.

Whoever was descending did not reply.

"Do you have an appointment? Lenora is in a meeting with someone right now, and--"

The other person you sense opens the door. It's... a Druddigon with a bag around his shoulder--you recognize this as a hallmark of a 'talking Pokemon.' He appears to be in good health, but his eyes have a haunted echo in them. Something about him... unsettles you. If you had a back with hair, perhaps those hairs would have been rising. Instead, your rocky spirit's spirit hairs rise spiritually.

"Hello," Lenora says with a cautious tone. "Is something wrong?"

The Druddigon studies Lenora. Then Millie and Lily.

You notice that in his bag is an emblem of some kind. It's different from the one the Amber Knights wore. It's covered, but the shape is different, more triangular than the circular badges.

"Sorry," Druddigon says in a monotone. It is hard to tell if that was a routine apology or if he simply does not care. "We are investigating some strange energy signatures in the area. Dungeons have been appearing more often near Pinwheel Forest. Did you see anything out of the ordinary recently?"

No cadence. No emotion. His words sound like he's talking about the weather. And those eyes...

What do you do? Do you do anything?

Current Status
    Energy: 6/6

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to learn more about myself. Who was I? Who... am I?
    -

Edited: typo that called Lenora Gym Leader instead of museum head.

Last edited:
    Post 1-11 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Considerations:
    - (1) Lie low and pretend to be just a regular old rock.
    - (!) I need to learn more about myself. Who was I? Who... am I?

"If they ask, I'm just a regular, boring, plain old rock. A... doorstopper. Yeah, that's it," you say, quietly, to Millie and Lenora. 'Quietly,' you hope, since it's just selective telepathy, and you hope that got the point across enough.

"Ahh... not really, no," Millie says. "Um, are you feeling alright? You look... pale."

"I'm alright."

"I'll let you know if I see anything out of the ordinary," Lenora says. You project yourself over both of them to see if you can get a better look at that badge, but unfortunately, there is no luck. And you recognize that you need to be quiet. Using your powers here... No. Too risky.

"I see," Druddigon says. "Humans are not very perceptive. That is okay."

His gaze turns upward. He stares for a while... directly... at...

You.

Not at the rock. Not at Lenora or Millie or anything on the shelves. You, where you had projected yourself. Eye contact, if you had eyes. But... he does not look at your 'body,' the stone. He stares for a while longer.

"Um, is everything okay?" Millie asks.

"Yes. Sorry for bothering you." Druddigon finally turns around--breaking eye contact with you--and heads up the stairs at a leisurely pace.

"That was weird," Millie says. "What was he staring at?"

"There better not be mold again," Lenora grumbled, eyeing the corner of the ceiling behind you.

Once they are sure Druddigon left completely, Millie faces you again. "Do you sense anything?"

"I... don't think so, aside from myself," you admit.

"Do you know him?" Lenora asked.

"No, not at all," you reply easily. "But something was off about him. Very, very off. I don't like it."

"Oh, good, so it wasn't just me." Millie rubbed her arms. "Brrr, it's like two Gengar suddenly entered the room. Those eyes... It's like there was nothing behind them at all!"

The more you mull it over, the more upset you feel. You decide, for now, to shelve that thought away for later. But you are confident that somehow, that Druddigon and the organization he works for... has something to do with your true nature.

"I can contact the Elite Four for you," Lenora said. "Maybe they'll have more answers. What would you like to do for now, Cobble?"

"Oh, shoot, that's right!" Millie says. "I have to go to work! I'm a waitress, uh, actually, so I don't know if that'd be useful for any of this, aha... So, Cobble, what's your plan?"

What to do next... You still feel like you need to do something. But how would that manifest?

DECISION

Where do you want to go?

1. I'll stay with Lenora for the day while she contacts the Elite Four. Maybe I can train with the former Gym Leader?
    2. I'll return with Millie and hear news from Lenora later. Maybe I can learn something from her work.
    3. I'll go my own way. I don't feel safe hanging around here for much longer.

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (1) Lie low and pretend to be just a regular old rock.
    - (!) I need to learn more about myself. Who was I? Who... am I?

Post 1-12 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

I'll stay with Lenora!

Considerations:
    - (2) I need to get stronger!
    - (1) I need to learn more about myself. Who was I? Who... am I?

"I... need to get stronger. Lenora... could you train me while Millie is out at work?"

"Train you?" Lenora brings her hand to her sea green hair. "I haven't done that in a while, not seriously, but... Well, sure." She shrugged. "Maybe we can learn a thing or two. And my Pokemon would really appreciate the fight, too! We'll... go easy, though."

"I'll check back in the evening," Millie says. "Take care, alright, Cobble?"

After gathering her things, she thanks Lenora for her time and leaves.

A beat of silence follows. You drift your projection over to Lenora and say, "What's up with those weird talking Pokemon?"

"Weird," Lenora echoes with an entertained smile, looking at your body. "Well... They appeared and asserted themselves pretty early after the distortions appeared on Kalos. They're worldwide, but they only were looking for more distortions--which is why they stayed here, and not anywhere else. They've been a real help, and they're incredibly strong, too.

"I guess being a Pokemon with human levels of intelligence can do that. A Pokemon fighting with that kind of skill without a Trainer... You didn't see that very often. Still"--She shrugs, shaking her head--"I'm not in the Gym Leader position anymore. I'm not privy to the official things that happen anymore. I wanted to focus on the museum and my real passions. But I have friends who still are in there, and I've heard a thing or two." She winks at you.

"They work closely together. The Knights get information on where distortions are happening from Unova's government, and in return, the Knights are allowed free access to anywhere that has those abnormalities. They don't ask for much in return... that I know about. There are all kinds of conspiracies on what they get out of it. Rumors like dark money, raw materials, or something else that their world might need, wherever they're from. The funny ones are that they take human souls to turn into more Pokemon. A human becoming a Pokemon. Now that's silly! You only see those in kids' entries filling out their Pokedex."

You have no idea what a Pokedex is, but it sounds inaccurate.

"Sorry I don't have any solid information," Lenora said.

"It's alright. Maybe the Elite Four will know something."

With that, though, Lenora leaves the room and tells you to stay put for the time being. She quickly wraps up a few matters in the museum and takes you to a training area near the back. The room is cold and unused, but maintained perhaps for nostalgic purposes, or for recreation of the occasional worker or visitor. Pokemon battling, it seems, is a tradition in this region, and perhaps the world. How interesting...

"All right," Lenora says. "We can do some quick training here. Though, what were you thinking of focusing on?"

DECISION

What techniques do you want to learn?

1. I need to get some defensive techniques to better endure hits.
    - Aura Spike (Energy: 1. Reduce damage by 1; deal 1 damage when someone strikes you in melee range)
    - Aura Shroud (Energy: 2. Become obscured and more difficult to strike, potentially turning attention to other allies.)

2. I need some evasive techniques to get away from foes.
    - Catapult (Energy: 2. Bonus damage: 2. Tosses you a very far distance if you miss, intentionally or otherwise, making you hard to catch up to.
    - Aura Shroud

3. I need some offensive techniques to take down foes faster.
    - Catapult
    - Rocky Pummel (Energy: 3. Bonus damage: 2. Melee. Hits twice.)

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to get stronger!
    - (!) Lie low and pretend to be just a regular old rock.

Post 1-13 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Gained evasive techniques Catapult and Aura Shroud!

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to learn more about those talking Pokemon!
    - (1) I need to get stronger!

You train with Lenora and her retired but still fairly impressive Pokemon for a few hours. Lenora enjoys the time off, though there are frequent breaks when she attends some museum matter or two. You're left feeling a little tired, but the frequent breaks make it easy to recuperate some of your strength.

By the end, with your own direction on what you want to focus on, you decide that relying on allies and getting away when you're alone is your best bet for now. Your new techniques are honed for just that purpose. You even, briefly, find a way to phase into the ground like some specter. You wonder if it's a hint to your past self. Lenora had remarked that such powers are usually associated with Psychic, Ghost, or Dark Pokemon, though it can occasionally be seen in Fairies and beyond, too.

Training leaves you with -1 HP and Energy, but you gain Aura Shroud and Catapult!

Soon, it's evening, when you expect Millie to return to pick you up. Lenora waits with you outside the museum.

During your small talk, you ask a question while beside the museum entrance. "Why did you retire from being a Gym Leader?"

"Other passions," Lenora says. "I know, I was pretty talented when training with you. It comes with the old profession. Our whole purpose was to help foster the next generation of trainers to take up the mantle. And... I think my time for teaching was done. I wanted to focus on knowledge--something that'd last even longer than the next generation. History. Fossils, bones, sometimes the occasional odd stone." She winks at you.

"I see. So, humans follow passions for what they do with their lives?"

"In an ideal world," Lenora says, sighing. "The truth is, it's not always so easy. I was lucky to be successful. My parents had more trouble, and their parents, even more. It's part of humanity's goal to make the next generation's lives a little better. That's my take on being a Gym Leader, and my take now running the museum and researching the past through bones."

"Researching the past..."

"I wish I could help you more," Lenora says, "but there's nothing in my research to help. But... call it a gut feeling, but I'm sure you have one. You just have to keep digging."

A few people walk down the roads. They're all out of earshot from the museum, which, now closed, has no foot traffic. It's getting late. You're starting to feel anxious.

"Millie works at a restaurant. How long does that usually take?"

"Depends on if she took extra time on cleanup," Lenora says. "But... it is late. I know the restaurant she works at. Would you like us to meet her there? I'll just leave a note for her in case . . . "

You don't hear the rest of her words as she walks into the museum to write said note before you could object. But, at around the same time--you're sure it's because they were waiting--you see three Pokemon walk up the road and turn directly to the museum.

Druddigon. The same one. Accompanying him is a Marshtomp and Weavile. Such an eclectic trio strikes you as odd, but worse is the empty, lightless eyes they have. If you had guts, they would have been churning at the sight. It's no better a second time.

Lenora is out of your range. You have no idea when she will return.

And they're staring at... you, again. Not the rock. You.

"Hello," Druddigon greeted.

...There is no point in remaining silent. "Hello," you reply. These strange Pokemon have your curiosity. "Who are you?" Perhaps you could learn more about them...

"We are the Prism Knights," said Druddigon. "We are a special task force dedicated to finding you. We have been searching for a very long time."

"Knights. The rumored third division, then. And you're telling me that... freely?"

"It is your right to know. This world does not. It wouldn't matter."

You can't get a read on them at all. At least they can talk. And if they were hostile... they would have attacked by now, unless they do not know how to attack without seeing your vessel.

But nothing can shake the bad feeling you have when looking at them. Unless... that is some misunderstanding? Could it be? You simply do not know.

"Please come with us," Druddigon said. "Millie is waiting for you."

They don't seem to recognize that your vessel is a rock. They only see you, your projection, for whatever it is. But what can you possibly do here? You could talk, you could fight, or you could flee...

Millie... waiting for you? Was it a bluff? Their total lack of expression makes it hard to determine anything. There was no news about her disappearing, so if she was taken, it was quietly, or at least in such a way that did not draw attention. This was a small city. Word would have traveled here. Maybe she is just waiting.

But you don't know anything beyond their word and the fact that Millie is, currently, absent.

DECISION

1. Keep talking. (Telepathy)
    2. Fight! (First strike)
    3. Flee! (Catapult away)

Current Status
    HP: 3/4
    Energy: 5/6

Considerations:
    - (!) I need to learn more about those talking Pokemon!
    - (!) I need to get stronger!

Last edited:
    Post 1-14 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Keep talking.

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to stall for time until Lenora gets back!
    -

So far, you are alone and you do not think you can take them on just yet. Not as a single... rock. And if they don't know precisely where or who you are physically, you could use that to your advantage.

So, you stall for time.

"What do you mean by, 'I have a right to know'? What do you need me for? I'm not going anywhere until I get some answers!"

That would do just fine. Many questions until Lenora gets back.

"...Your right to know of the Prism Knights ends there," Druddigon replies, though he spares a glance at his two compatriots. It's the closest thing to a reaction you have seen so far. And it only elicits suspicion.

"You don't remember anything?" Marshtomp adds.

"We had a feeling when you did not react to Druddigon," Weavile says. "If you want answers, then it would be much easier if you came with us now. Before the human returns."

"Now, hang on," you say, knowing that your best option for now was to stall for time anyway, directly against Weavile's request. "Give me at least something. How do I know you won't try to kill me if I come with you?"

"That's fair," Weavile says. "But this is not a matter for humans to know about. You come with us, and we all stop meddling in this world's affairs."

That answers a few things but raises even more questions. You share a world with them, or at least origins? So you do have a past! That's a start.

Marshtomp is eyeing you for a while and murmurs something to Druddigon. In response, he starts to scan the ground, looking for something. Several times, his eyes go over your rock, but he assumes nothing of it, supposedly, and gives up. He is staring at you again.

They're getting suspicious. Maybe they're trying to find your body. If this keeps up... No, they definitely want you for something. And they're cagey about what they reveal.

"Okay!" Lenora suddenly breaks the silence. All three Pokemon stare at her. "Well, it's about time we go. Oh. Hello." She nods at the three Pokemon. "Part of the Amber Knights?"

Silence follows. Behind their dead eyes, you see a calculating gaze. They are weighing their options.

Druddigon makes the decision.

"Come with us, alone," Druddigon says, staring directly at you, "and Millie will live."

And now, that silence explodes into a cold dread in your core.

DECISION

1. Comply
    2. Negotiate (Telepathy)
    3. Refuse (Action)

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (!) I need to stall for time until Lenora gets back!
    -

Post 1-15 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Negotiate

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to keep Lenora and Millie safe at all costs!
    - (1) I'm just a perfectly ordinary rock. Nothing to see here!

With so many variables in the air, you aren't sure what would be best. However, you are also strapped for time and resources. Lenora is all you have. But... perhaps that will be enough.

For now, if it was a bluff... it is time for you to bluff in return.

"My memories aren't what they once were, Druddigon," you begin, "but I don't recall you giving me orders. We don't have time for these silly games; tell me, right now, the most essential information I need to know. If you refuse, I don't need to remind you that the success of your mission is at stake here. Even in my weakened state, you know what I'm capable of."

That earns... stares. From Lenora, something inquisitive and befuddled. From Druddigon, Marshtomp, and Weavile... well, nothing, as usual.

You whisper to Lenora, "They're looking for my body! Can you pick a different rock off the ground and pretend it's me?"

Lenora doesn't react but you know she hears you.

"You are... confused," Druddigon says. "But that isn't a problem."

"The most essential information you need to know," Weavile goes on, "is that you need to come with us before this world rips itself apart due to your presence. That much, you remember, don't you?"

Marshtomp and Druddigon both glance at Weavile. Without expressions, that glance could mean anything.

"We are very aware of what you're capable of," Marshtomp says.

"Well, either way," Lenora says, "if you really need him, let me get him. I've been holding onto his... anchor... rock in the museum."

"Hidden in plain sight," Druddigon remarks. "Go on. Thank you for cooperating. We will release Millie once we confirm it's the anchor."

Lenora left and returned shortly with a stone. It looks like... something a Happiny would have in their pouch, but it's cracked on one side. Perhaps Lenora found it lying around.

Your stone is ordinary. You keep it still, but move your projection near the false anchor as Lenora hands it over.

"Thank you," Druddigon says, not-you in his claws.

"You're very welcome," Lenora replies. "Now, how do you plan to confirm that it's the--"

Druddigon clenches his fist. The claws dig into the false body... and it shatters.

You have a split second to react.

DECISION

What do you do? (+Action)

1. Fight
    2. Flee
    3. Play dead

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (!) I need to keep Lenora and Millie safe at all costs!
    - (!) I'm just a perfectly ordinary rock. Nothing to see here!

Post 1-16 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Play dead

Considerations:
    - (1) No, seriously! I'm just a perfectly ordinary rock!
    - (1) I need to keep Lenora and Millie safe at all costs!

You wail in false pain, unsure if you could flail or do anything else, and sink into the ground and out of view. You try to pull yourself as far away from them as possible, sending your projection far and behind a wall. Was their sight limited?

"...It's not enough," Druddigon reports. "But we weakened it."

"E-excuse me!" Lenora shouts, drawing out a Pokeball.

Marshtomp pulls out a ball of his own--a clear blue orb, but from your angle, it's hard to see any details. He smashes it on the ground. You see two flashes of light... and then silence.

Lenora, who was covering her eyes with one hand while holding a Pokeball out with the other, slowly uncovers her eyes and scans the area.

They're gone.

You need to keep Lenora and Millie safe. And you also need to remain as a perfectly ordinary rock for now. Lay low. Hide in the ground, peeking from below. And so, when Lenora calls for you, you don't answer. Not yet.

You aren't sure what she's thinking, but she sighs and turns around, reentering the museum. A minute later, you hear her speaking to someone with no replies, yet it still sounds like she's holding a conversation. She must be using one of those human communicators. It sounds like she's describing the incident.

Lenora asks about Millie and the restaurant she works at. She doesn't sound happy with the answer and calls for something like a "wellness check" for Millie, and then she hangs up after saying goodbye and thank you.

The sun is setting. It's getting dark. Your vision isn't heavily affected by this, but you can tell that it's getting darker, and your vision is becoming less defined. Maybe you have night vision.

You were an ordinary rock. And night would soon fall. You're getting tired. Millie... from what Lenora's conversation was like, isn't coming back. You aren't sure where she is. Lenora might return soon, perhaps to go home or to talk to you. But you would probably have to approach her first; maybe she doesn't know what to do, either.

What are you supposed to do now? What can you do?

DECISION

1. Go to Lenora (and talk via Telepathy)
    2. Search for Millie on your own; maybe there will be clues
    3. Flee somewhere; you're just putting everyone in danger as it stands.
    4. Do nothing and stay here for the night.

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (!) No, seriously! I'm just a perfectly ordinary rock!
    - (!) I need to keep Lenora and Millie safe at all costs!

Last edited:
    Post 1-17 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Go to Lenora

Considerations:
    - (1) Did the Prism Knights drop anything/leave anything behind before they left?
    - (1) We need to find Millie and Lily before the Prism Knights do!

You spent long enough waiting. Being a rock is starting to get boring. In fact, you think that Lenora is probably starting to think you actually died, or something. It was time to get to her.

But before you do, you emerge from the ground and search around the area for any signs and curiosities that the Prism Knights left behind. They didn't walk around very much, so it is easy to know where to check. You see footprints, so at least you can confirm they're real. They match the species.

That's odd. There's a fourth set of footprints far from the group... It doesn't seem to be associated with them. It was more like someone was watching them. Friend or foe? You have no idea. You are not sure what species the footprints are of, but it seems to be a bipedal, human-sized Pokemon with claws.

The Prism Knights also left behind shards of some bluish material, though even as you watch, it is evaporating into nothing but rainbow-pastel dust. Some special technology that made them vanish, is your guess.

You think that's enough searching. You aren't sure where Millie is. You need to search for them with Lenora. Maybe the police would also be able to help...

You break your vow of rockiness to move into the museum, climbing the stairs and rolling inside with your simple telekinesis.

But then you sense something behind you and jolt out of the way, narrowly dodging an icy dagger that embeds itself in the area you'd once rolled.

Weavile was there. And then, you remember only seeing two flashes when the trio had vanished.

"Your tricks won't fool me," Weavile says.

He smashes another blue orb on the ground. Ethereal chains emerge from the impact site and shoot toward you before your rock before you can react, ensnaring you and tying you to that impact spot.

Can't flee this fight!

This time, it doesn't look like there's a way around it. While you were able to evade the worst of it... Lenora isn't there, and a single one had been left behind to scout out a trick. Lenora... You can't see her in your range, but she surely heard that smashing noise. She might be here soon, but for now, you're alone. Those odd chains tie you to the front of the museum like an arena had been set up.

All you can do now is fight back.

Current Status

Considerations:
    - (!) Did the Prism Knights drop anything/leave anything behind before they left?
    - (!) We need to find Millie and Lily before the Prism Knights do!

Post 1-18 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Catapult!

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to lure Weavile close, then attack!
    -

This is bad. Weavile is an experienced fighter. And... despite everything, you are still a rock. Fighting would be difficult as things stood, but at the very least, maybe you could lure him in for an attack.

Weavile doesn't look particularly strong, though. Druddigon seemed to be the heavy hitter, and Marshtomp was the team's balanced fighter. Weavile, you see as more the stealthy, but less powerful striker.

The problem is, while you largely relied on your stealth, Weavile saw through it. Perhaps that is why he stayed behind...

You conclude that getting Weavile off his game would be the best choice.

"Good luck with those ice shards," you say, "I can dodge anything you throw at me!"

"I noticed," Weavile replies. "But you can't run from me."

He crouches. In an instant, he vanishes. All that remains is an afterimage where he'd once stood. You sense him coming closer. He's right on top of you, arm outstretched.

You are ready.

Catapult! You smash into an unsuspecting Weavile, dealing 2 damage!

You smash into his nose and blood falls onto your stone. He whirls back and covers his face, staring at his claws where the blood had emerged. Even after this, his expression remains stoic.

"How's THAT?" you taunt. If you had legs and arms you would have been hopping left and right like a boxer. But because you don't, you settle instead for rolling left and right to be... agile, or some equivalent.

Something about that impact resonates with you. All that training, but this time you fought for the sole purpose of harming and warding, not sparring. And under that duress, you feel... something new. And it's very, very useful in this short moment...

Gained a new passive ability!

Lifesense

If you strike an enemy and they aren't defeated, you can learn about their remaining HP. You can also sense the life of others nearby if you Consider things about them...

Weavile has 3 HP remaining.

"Don't bother fighting," Weavile says dully. He disappears again, leaving his afterimage behind.

He's behind you. But this time, you're too slow, and his claw smashes onto your hard body. It rattles you and you feel the tether of your spirit... weakening from this anchor. And that's bad. Very very bad.

Weavile smashes down, dealing 1 damage!

"...Sturdy," Weavile says, hopping back. "But you're diminished nonetheless." He sharpens his claws. It looks like he's going to use something that hits a lot harder next time...

Lenora is rushing into your view again. She must have heard the commotion. She's holding a Poke Ball...

Current Status
    HP: 2/4
    Energy: 3/6

Considerations:
    - (!) I need to lure Weavile close, then attack!
    -

Post 1-19 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Rocky Tackle to get away!

Considerations:
    - (2) I need to carefully dodge Weavile's actions!
    -

You know when you're outmatched. A skilled Weavile was not someone you could go one-on-one with in your current state. Something about Weavile's attacks felt deadly efficient. So, instead, you jump backward and utilize your powerful tackles... to get away. It's not quite a catapult, but it's enough to get closer to Lenora, where you take your fleeting time to shout, "Help!!"

That's enough for Lenora to toss the ball. Out came a Stoutland, swift enough to get between you and Weavile just as Weavile unleashed a volley of icicles from his claws.

But when he tossed them, they were instead skyward at an angle. Each icicle chills the air and produces even more. They come crashing down in a line, but Stoutland shields you from it. You hear the dull thuds and crunches of ice on Stoutland's thick hide... but he went down anyway.

Lenora gasps and withdraws him. Where Stoutland once was, you could see ice leaving deep gashes in the stone like it was merely mud. Is that Weavile's true power? Why did it merely bounce off of you?

Lenora summons a Kangaskhan and Watchog next. Kangaskhan picks you up after a quick order from Lenora--she must have been watching from within that capsule to be so aware of what to do--and sets you next to her young cub, who pulls you deeper.

Kangaskhan: 2 HP
    Cub: Negligible HP

Lenora shouts an order at Watchog, who weaves in and out of Weavile's line of sight before landing a quick blow. It didn't seem to do much but distract him. Weavile points a claw at Watchog, shooting a series of icicles straight at his chest. Watchog is down after just three blows, crumpling with the icicles still lodged in his chest.

Lenora swaps him out for a Cinccino and calls for a Rock Blast. With great skill, five volleys go toward Weavile, and four of them are deflected with ease. The fifth one strikes Weavile square in the face. Kangaskhan rushes in for a follow-up, channeling an orange Fighting aura in her fist and chopping down on Weavile's neck. That was a strong, direct hit--Weavile staggers in response.

Weavile took 1 HP in damage!

What was going on? Why do these Pokemon do so little damage? Weavile's life force is hardly moving in response to everything Lenora--a skilled fighter--has for them. Weavile vanishes, appearing behind Cinccino. You aren't even sure what he did, but Cinccino collapses next and is replaced by a Braviary. Just as quickly, Weavile aims for a jab at Kangaskhan's pouch, but she instinctually blocks it and takes the blow...

Kangaskhan takes 2 damage!

Kangaskhan's life force dwindles rapidly. The cub makes a frightened noise, and then everything around your rock dissolves into light. Withdrawn.

Before you can land on the ground, Braviary grabs you in his talons and takes you to the sky. Lenora summons a Sawsbuck--it seems to be her final Pokemon, the way her stance changed--who tackles Weavile just as Braviary picks up another rock and tosses you into the air. Braviary dives to Weavile at the same time as Sawsbuck, going for a pincer attack.

And this time, both land. Weavile grunts and pinwheels back and on the ground...

Weavile took 2 HP in damage! But...

"Stand down!" Lenora said, pulling out another Pokeball. This one has a different feeling to it. It's... empty. Does Lenora intend to use it on Weavile? Those Pokemon had to get in there somehow... "I know it's against the law to capture a Pokemon like you... but this is in self defense if you don't stop now!"

Weavile stands again, not even holding his bleeding arm or chest...

Weavile didn't take 2 HP! It was only 1 HP?!

Weavile twitches. Lenora responds and tosses the ball--but Weavile swipes it, breaking the ball before it can work its magic. You're still airborne as this happens, but finally land in the soil nearby. You have a good shot at Weavile from here, but with Braviary and Sawsbuck in the way, you see no good opportunity. Hiding has worked well so far...

Weavile takes 2 HP in damage again! But... Weavile remains at 1 HP!

At this point, Weavile is bleeding from two parts of his face and several parts of his chest. But his expression remains stoic, and his stance unchanged. He's still fighting. In fact, when he moves, he swiftly takes out Sawsbuck, and then swings at Braviary, only narrowly missing as Braviary flies into the air again.

"What's going on?" Lenora whispers, taking a step back. "Why isn't he...?"

Weavile points a claw toward Lenora, ignoring Braviary.

Current Status
    Energy: 2/6

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to carefully dodge Weavile's actions!
    -

Post 1-20 New
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    8. meganium
    RESULTS

Rocky Tackle at Weavile!

Considerations:
    - (1) I need to carefully dodge Weavile's actions!
    - (1) I need to look for a good opening!

Now it's personal. Lenora, a target? All this fighting and not once were humans being targeted by civilized Pokemon. Humans didn't seem to fight. Lenora fought by summoning Pokemon. She does not look like a fighter herself.

You break your cover just as Weavile fires at her. He spots you and there's a glimmer of surprise in his eyes, but his body does not react any further. Instead, the ice pierces Lenora's shoulder during her dodge, passes through, and goes into the wall, leaving a hole in her shoulder and the museum. Braviary screeches in alarm and stops what he's doing, flying to her.

"If anyone can hear me, we need help! Our lives are in danger!!!"

You shout this as much as your telepathy allows. Raise the volume if you can! Anything to be heard, if it's at all possible. And at the same time, you smash into Weavile... You don't see anyone coming to your aid. Not immediately.

And the give the body returns is sickening. You crunch his arm like a twig, going into his chest. The strange resilience Weavile had evaporates in an instant. His chest caves in from the impact and he coughs a glob of blood onto your rock. You hear his heart and go further, snapping... something else inside, before finally bouncing away. Your body touches inner flesh not meant to be touched. Your stony surface turns crimson.

Direct hit! You deal... 1 damage! Weavile goes down!

"What?" Weavile croaked, barely able to breathe. Apparently, you missed his lungs, despite hitting so much else. "No... NO...!"

He still has energy, but not to fight. On his back, he uses the arm you hadn't crunched to pull himself away. His legs weren't working properly. All he had was his arm.

Lenora is on the ground, a pool of blood from her shoulder and onto the ground. Her other arm is holding the wound, applying pressure. She says something to Braviary, who flies deeper into town at speeds that left distortions in the air. You sense... that she is okay, for now. It could have been worse... like Weavile.

You turn your attention to Weavile again. No longer a threat, you instead realize that he is trying to get away, trying to dig into his bag. Perhaps he has a means to escape, even in his so severely harmed state. Perhaps Pokemon can bounce back from even this, given the proper care...

But now, you hold all of the power. And you feel... something within you stir. A new power... But what will it become? You feel as though depending on how you go forward here... a part of you will awaken.

You feel... as if you could suppress it all, and let him go. Perhaps something would happen there, sparing him to flee and live another day. Somehow, this... disagrees with you... but with so little to go by, it is still an option to take.

You could try to restrain him instead, sap his energy... Perhaps he will live. Maybe you could question him? But that also runs the risk of him fleeing, being rescued, attacking... You do not know what tricks he has, no matter what precautions you take.

You could kill him. At this point, it would be trivial. And this power bubbling within you... would make the matter quick and easy. Weavile would be no more. But, do you have that right, the right to kill even as he flees? What ramifications would that have for this place, this world? Well... you are sure you could call it justified. Also, you're a rock. You are doubtful their legal proceedings would know how to handle that.

But there is... another option. You do not know where the option comes from, or what it means, but it is a word. The word holds so much weight behind it. A deep power. Are you ready for that? What would come with it? A burning curiosity and yearning tells you to try anyway... but you are uncertain. All you know is that it, too, would kill Weavile... but there would also be something more. The word echoes over and over in your mind, throbbing like a migraine: Claim.

The world stands still. Weavile, showing fear in his eyes instead of his stoic frown, will flee shortly.

What do you do?

DECISION

What is Weavile's fate?

1. Spare. Let him go.
    2. Restrain. He isn't going anywhere.
    3. Kill. He's too dangerous to leave alive.
    4. Claim.

Current Status
    Energy: 1/6

Considerations:
    - (!) I need to carefully dodge Weavile's actions!
    - (!) I need to look for a good opening!

Top Bottom