• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Though I’m not convinced enough to vote her yet; Free is an excellent player and if she’s town, she’d be a really vital asset to us. I do want to see a little more from her, thoug
And if scum, she could absolutely kick our asses. I don't see why her skill level is relevant to whether or not you should vote her if her being scum doesn't seem unlikely. I do get wanting to give her the chance to respond some more though, regardless of a player's skill level that's not usually unreasonable.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[ I do worry someone could lie about the mailman thing, except that should be a bad idea right? Except it seems like someone could just.... pretend to have received a message but want to keep is secret for now?

However maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with this idea.

The only other person I have the absolute vaguest thoughts about is Bench but its not based on anything concrete and its too circumstantial atm to be more than neutral.]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[Could you tell me what those thoughts are, if that's ok? Only if you want, though!]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
I do worry someone could lie about the mailman thing, except that should be a bad idea right? Except it seems like someone could just.... pretend to have received a message but want to keep is secret for now?
[[Probably not? It wouldn't seem smart, you'd expect the same amount of messages to presumably be sent the next night so you'd expect someone else to be able to confirm the messages later. Though it might be a tad safer in a game where roles don't flip so someone could just try to argue that the mailman probably died.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Unless scum somehow knew they killed a mailman and are pretending its still around to coast by as town.

But its not something I can prove so there's not much to be done about it atm I guess?

[[Could you tell me what those thoughts are, if that's ok? Only if you want, though!]]
And re: bench Nothing but vibes, lol. That's why you're basically still neutral in my book, heh. Not a sus

Also on a broader note does scum have daytalk?]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Unless scum somehow knew they killed a mailman and are pretending its still around to coast by as town.

But its not something I can prove so there's not much to be done about it atm I guess?
[[Receiving a message isn't town indicative though?
And I don't think that makes sense. Trying to argue the Namo was a mailman makes sense to cover such a lie, but it would only work if Namo wasn't actually a mailman because kills usually go last, so the number of messages received would go down by two instead of one.]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
J:they/them HY:she
[[As far as I know, nothing has been mentioned about there being no day talk, and also no daytalk mostly seems like a Namo game thing? Heh, I could be wrong, who knows. But from what little I know of Negrek’s games, there’s usually day talk.]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
J:they/them HY:she
...That wasn't intended as a petty jab, actually. Sorry if it came off that way. You asked why I voted Dragonfree specifically and I wanted to cover all the alternatives. My bad for poor wording.
[[Ah, I appreciate the clarification! Thank you! No worries.
[[I don't see any references to seeing me specifically as scummy/voteworthy before that post though? I get wanting to wait for their partner's input before actually making the vote but I don't see why doing so would be so necessary for just suggesting the concept in thread? They said they wanted to wait for you before voting but there's absolutely no inplication of who they wanted to vote, making it sound like they just wanted to discuss options with you.
I’ll let Jackie share their thoughts when they’re available, but I can say that we did both agree on the vote in DMs before I cast it. They wanted to cast a vote on you, waited for my input, and I agreed. I personally am willing to change my vote depending on what we hear from other people; I’m not sure what Jackie’s precise thoughts are at this time. As it stands, I’m feeling slightly better about you after taking a look at your reads — I’m just waiting to hear what others have to say. I’d really like to see what sort of reads @Sinderella @IFBench @AbraPunk @DragonD and @Inkedust have?

Sike and windskull are pinging soft town for me rn, especially wind. Chibi too. Pretty much everyone else is neutral. —Yellow]]

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[Wrong Dragon, I think. And I posted my reads up above.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dragonfree (May Victoria Wallace) - I don't feel like she's done basically anything but mechanics discussion? Which seems off for her, I think I'd expect townFree to be at least a bit involved in the little discussion of actual players that has occurred.
Free's someone I expect to be pretty involved in substance talk, more than most of the people I marked as null, which makes her non-involvement weirder than them. Her focus on mechanics talk over actual stuff also sorta seems like it could be an attempt at seeming to do stuff, and I don't really get that vibe from the null people.
[[Hi! I think literally no game-relevant discussion had occurred by the time I went to bed last night other than mailman talk (which I have a particular interest in since I was a recipient of a message) and Abra suspecting Sind's dead Mudsdale comment, which I didn't feel any pressing need to weigh in on given it was obviously vacuous and other people had pointed this out before I got there, and meanwhile there was plenty of clarification on the mail thing to do.

For what it's worth: Sind's Mudsdale comment was obviously not alignment-indicative in any way. Abra strikes me as probably just town trying to find something to contribute and I think Sind suspecting them for it is a bit of a reach. The way she's been continuing to talk about it as a reason to suspect Abra since last night is giving me vibes I vaguely don't like, but probably wouldn't vote her right now; I don't think it's out of character for Sind. (Then again a lot of my impression of Sind is from Namo's game, where she was mafia. Hrmm.)]]

What was that...? May clutched her head. She didn't even disagree with the voice, but it was still weird and unsettling.

[[As for the juicier talk going on now, I'm never a fan of suspecting people for being completely inactive for some time; usually that just means they had real life going on or forgot about the game, which is not alignment-indicative (or if anything slightly indicative of being town, since if you're mafia you do have the advantage of there being other players attempting to prod you privately). Jackie did the exact same thing of being absent for almost all of D1 in Inke's game as cop. All in all DawningWinds does not strike me as likely mafia; I think their play has felt reasonable and innocuous. Which, of course, doesn't mean it was bad or suspicious for Chibi to make the pressure vote; it was openly about getting things going, and it did.

I vaguely think Yellow's play in the discussion around it feels like town Yellow; unsure about Jackie.

I'm going to be away for a couple hours tonight but should return before EoD.]]

Was the thing just not going to let her play? It was talking about strange things, using strange names, she probably wouldn't have come up with some of that on her own, but...

"Anyway," May said, "I've been thinking and I think I should tell you why I'm leery of my message at least before the day ends. The message said, 'Congratulations! You have received an [item]!' Only unless I'm blind I'm not seeing, you know, the actual item. It's just a message. That's why I felt like it might be trying to mislead. Or it might not."

[[Please disregard the bit where apparently I missed that there was an "an" there when I described the contents of the message. ~_~

Anyway. I am pretty sure that if there is an actual item mechanic it would come in the form of bold text in the actual mod message, and not just being told you received a message that says you got an item. In case I die tonight, I want to preempt the possibility that others receive messages like this and take it at face value and start talking about an item mechanic that probably doesn't actually exist. If it is trying to mislead about an item mechanic, that absolutely sounds like a thing a mafia mailman might do. On the other hand, maybe it's just somebody trying to be cute, who didn't realize it could be interpreted as a mechanical thing.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[To be clear: it had the name of an actual item there, I redacted it just in case it could turn out to be a bad idea to reveal it.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[(There's also the possibility that the mailmen are not allowed to actually pick their message and instead it's restricted, e.g. a mailman who can only send messages about giving items and all they can choose is which item, or a mailman who can only send messages that appear on an IMDb quotes page, or whatever.)]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[(Also note: fruit vendor was not on the list of roles.)]]

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
I’d really like to see what sort of reads
[[ I don't really have many reads right now. Admittedly I've been skimming most posts, but I'm a little wary of Starlight Aurate right now. ]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Dragonfree (May Victoria Wallace) - I don't feel like she's done basically anything but mechanics discussion? Which seems off for her, I think I'd expect townFree to be at least a bit involved in the little discussion of actual players that has occurred.

Vote Dragonfree
[[Been thinking about how to approach this the whole drive home. I guess even though at this point Free hasn't gotten as into the weeds as in other games (though I'm not sure about what, since we're all kind of aimless at the moment), but she has done something, which is start the discussion about the messages.

I'm trying to find a way that bringing up the question of night messages would benefit scum when the only other message we know about (that Starlight received) is just a quote from a TV show? That wouldn't feed false info, and using an open question during the day to ID a message recipient of a scum mailman would be weird because scum should already know who is and isn't on their side.

The only reason I could see sussing Free is that by bringing up the messages, the intention was purely to waste our time (which it kind of did, but at the same time now we know there is a mailman in the game, perhaps two, and that's more info than we had prior). But that wasn't the reason given, so I'm not sure I agree with your vote.

As for the rest, I feel like I'm in the same boat as everyone else. There's been a lot of RP (sorry about that) but not a lot else until recently. My initial reaction was to be hesitant about the inactive players (Tetra and DawningWinds) which I posted about some time yesterday (I can go fetch the post if you like). Tetra responded, and later DW did as well. (Personally, if I sign up for a group game and later discover I will be busy, I try to hop on, even if it's my phone and I'm traveling somewhere, and put a quick courtesy message up like "sorry, going to be inactive until x time, will try to make a post before EoD" just to prevent the inactive votes/sus from happening.) Both inactive players have shown up, so my concern about them is lessened.

Players who I might be concerned about for non-activity related reasons would be maybe Abra (a bit less involved in the game than I thought, save for the Mudsdale thing, which felt like an honest mistake (given that we were talking about messages and codes, I believe, when that happened). And Inke, who is more passive than I've seen from here in past games. Though the last few games I've played with her, Mademoiselle was a more aggressive character than Altair, so this might just be a flavor choice and that's what's pinging me.

A few other null reads would probably be Sind, Bench, and Virgil, but this is purely because I really don't have much to go on other than some general confusion (that we all share) and some RP.

Starlight, well, as much as Steven would like to see Archie's ass outta here, that's not how this works. She also received a message like Free, and unless one or both of them are lying, I'm more concerned that there are one or two other people out there that know who sent those and what they do.

Wind, Yellow/Jackie, and Chibi (though perhaps slightly less so) are all giving me good vibes. Wind in particular (which, honestly, big props given the time irl time constraints). I'm inclined to lean town the heaviest with these three.

Aaaand now it's off to read Free's post about the messages]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Anyway," May said, "I've been thinking and I think I should tell you why I'm leery of my message at least before the day ends. The message said, 'Congratulations! You have received an [item]!' Only unless I'm blind I'm not seeing, you know, the actual item. It's just a message. That's why I felt like it might be trying to mislead. Or it might not."
"Hmm," said Steven, "That's certainly odd. Perhaps the mailman can send packages and not just letters? Is the item something that makes sense within the context of the game, or is it equally nonsensical, like a toothbrush or the something?"

[[(There's also the possibility that the mailmen are not allowed to actually pick their message and instead it's restricted, e.g. a mailman who can only send messages about giving items and all they can choose is which item, or a mailman who can only send messages that appear on an IMDb quotes page, or whatever.)]]
[[I thought about this too, like in Humble Vale when there were only a few phrases each messaging role could send. I'm trying to wrap my head around the utility of the role if it were restricted like this. If the messages are nonsense, at best it could act like a bus driver check, and at worst they simply alert the game to their presence. I guess the worst might be if it were a scum role, it's meant to waste time?]]

[[(Also note: fruit vendor was not on the list of roles.)]]
[[lol beat me to it. There are two custom roles in this game per the sign up post, maybe one of those is related to this? Or is some kind of modified fruit vendor? The kind of janky nonsense of both messages makes it feel like a spam email or something. Would a spam mailman role exist to throw off the usefulness of a real mailman?]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jet listened to to blue-hair girl's Voice talk for a little bit, but after a while, she started to fidget impatiently. "I want an item. How come I didn't get an item, huh?"

[[Jet, she just said there wasn't actually an item.]]

"I want a letter, then. Everyone keeps paying attention to the humans who got letters which means it's gotta be important," the Floatzel insisted.

[[I think you just want people to pay attention to you...]]

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
[[ Question, but how come most of you think it's bad for town not to vote on D1? I understand that doing nothing and letting the mafia pick people off is bad, but wouldn't mislynching someone be even worse? I don't think we have any solid leads at the moment, so we'd essentially be lynching someone at random. There's 14 players left, so even if we assume there's 4 mafia and 1 third party, that means there are currently 9 players that are town. In other words, if we lynch someone at random there's roughly a 64% chance we mislynch someone.

Don't get me wrong, I think voting for inactives is a good strategy when there's not a lot of information, but I just wonder if it makes sense to already do that on D1. ]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Hmm," said Steven, "That's certainly odd. Perhaps the mailman can send packages and not just letters? Is the item something that makes sense within the context of the game, or is it equally nonsensical, like a toothbrush or the something?"
[[It's a Pokémon item.]]

Top Bottom