• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[Maybe they can both reveal the first and last word? Or perhaps the longest word of their respective message? Idk I feel like it’d be so easy for one to copy another if one of them is indeed lying.

Lol, count total words of the messages? Or syllables? That could be at least a semi-decent clue if they got the same message or not.

Ofc I don’t want to feel like we’re beating a dead Mudsdale here, especially if it turns out the messages are in fact just useless, but I do think it is helpful to at least try to confirm the existence of some roles a la multiple mailmen, or a mailman and a parrot, etc. etc.]]

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
’re beating a dead Mudsdale here,
[[ this has to be code for something. why couldnt you just say horse. hmmmm i may be overthinking but i'm squinting very hard at this ]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
J:they/them HY:she
[[One recipient can offer the first couple words, the second can offer the total word count, amd then they can corroborate each other.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[Oh man I am still trying to wrap my head around this, but I guess we should hear from Free and Starlight before going too crazy here?]]

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[ this has to be code for something. why couldnt you just say horse. hmmmm i may be overthinking but i'm squinting very hard at this ]]
[[????? Yeah calm down it was a joke my guy lol i was trying to be funny]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Alright, one-a you guys made the tall lizardy guy disappear and I'm gonna find out who! So why don't you make it easier and just fess up already!" the Floatzel barked.

The voice in her head was saying that this wasn't a very effective way to find any bad guys but maybe the voice was dumb and wrong, maybe it should have considered that, huh?
A loud Floatzel who liked to fight, huh. Familiar, in a warped way, but at the same time not.

Stupid. Wasn't like she was ever likely to see her again. May inhaled sharply and turned away.

"Interesting..." Archie poised. ""So there might an innocent mailman, and a scum mailman? Well," he sighed as he shook his head. He looked at May. "I don't know about you, but whoever sent me my message... if there's some kind of code in it, they ciphered it too well. My message didn't look like instructions or real information of any kind. I think, whoever sent it was just letting everyone know that mailmen exist in this game, though they obviously don't want to reveal their identities."
"I don't think it was a code, just a nonsense phrase. My theory from before stands: I think someone innocent was just sending a message to let us know that a mailman--or mailmen--exists."
May rubbed her forehead for a moment. "Okay, what was the first word of your message? Mine starts with a C. It has the word "received" in it. First word after that starts with an O."

"Multiple messages from multiple senders? And they didn't make sense?" He was growing more concerned by the minute.

"None of them said anything about great deals did they?" Steven brought a hand to his chin in thought, wincing as he found another bruise there.
Great... deals?

She had no idea what that meant, and yet at the same time something disconcerting in her head was telling her what it meant. She started, looking around - Chaletwo? It didn't feel the same, though.

"Nothing like that," she said. "I mean, it's real sentences. If it's some kind of code, it's going to need something more to decipher it."

"I beg your pardon, but I'm not sure I'm ready to assuredly credit the idea that there are two 'mailman' players, just yet," she said, lightly. "With so many roles available, and given the nature of 'role madness', I would be a little surprised if there were duplicate roles in play, hm... It's possible, I grant, but there is another explanation for two messages – besides that one or both recipients might be untruthful! – namely, one message may have been sent by a Parrot. I note that this role is among the list of valid powers. I would caution against drawing firm conclusions with so little evidence available."
"The problem with that theory is that a parrot uses a person's action on themselves. So if that was why both of us got a message, that'd mean one of us is the one who's sending messages in the first place. I know I'm not. I didn't think the pirate guy sounded like he was, either."

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
[[Could be a swap. A and B are swapped, Parrot targets A, gets redirected to B, picks up the mailman action, uses the mailman action on B, gets redirected to A.]]

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
????? Yeah calm down it was a joke my guy lol i was trying to be funny

[[ yeah I'm not buying it. way too weird to be just a joke ]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
View attachment 2636

Neo cocked his head to the side as he listened to the Slice-Cat. Maybe someone could be lying, but why would they? Wouldn’t that be risky for a bad guy to try? And why wouldn’t everyone want to know if there was a parrot around?
Muse caught the espeon's questioning gaze and considered for a moment before replying.

"It would be risky," Muse admitted. "But it's not unheard of for a bad guy to lie about getting something, or lie about whet they received. I'll fully admit that doing so this early in the game would be dangerous, and it's for that reason that, while I wanted to address the possibility, it is rather unlikely that either of the strange simipour are lying.

"As for my concern with revealing the information right away... In the most basic scenario where there is no bus driver, that would mean one of our two recipients is the mailman, which in theory would narrow down who might have a more...lucrative role to target for the bad guys. I was going to suggest that if we went through with asking, neither claim that they are or aren't the mailman to make it harder to guess, but... I was a little late to do so. Apologies."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
[[Could be a swap. A and B are swapped, Parrot targets A, gets redirected to B, picks up the mailman action, uses the mailman action on B, gets redirected to A.]]
[[holy shit is that how that would work if a swap was involved? Parrot wouldn't just redirect once and acquire and use the power in the new place? NGL Parrot is confusing the heck out of me. Considering the first time I read the wiki I thought it was a passive role...]]

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie

[[Is it really that weird for someone accustomed to writing Pokémon fanfiction to use a poké-snowclone? Ngl, it's starting to feel like you're grasping at straws, trying to find SOMETHING suspicious about ANYONE. I get that we need to get jailing at some point, but I think we really ought to get more info first rather than trying to create suspicion out of whole cloth.]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jet made a face at the Voice speaking over the Espeon. "That sounds weird and complicated. If a parrot was gonna copy someone and got swapped, why the heck would they get swapped twice. They'd just use their thing on the guy they targeted."

[[Hey, you're actually learning the mechanics?]]

I can do what I want, Jet snapped at her Voice, sticking her nose in the air.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[Crazy concept that this is a Pokemon forum and I made a comment related to a Pokemon because I’m clowning. THIS is beating a dead Mudsdale and I’m hard side eyeing you for it.

Anyway I need to read the wiki about Parrot because now I’m also confused, I thought it was just a mimic but I also can’t read. Sooo brb LOL]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
[[I don't believe the dead mudsdale thing is remotely suspicious, and even if it were code, that's a towntell, not a scumtell.]]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"The problem with that theory is that a parrot uses a person's action on themselves. So if that was why both of us got a message, that'd mean one of us is the one who's sending messages in the first place. I know I'm not. I didn't think the pirate guy sounded like he was, either."
"As for my concern with revealing the information right away... In the most basic scenario where there is no bus driver, that would mean one of our two recipients is the mailman, which in theory would narrow down who might have a more...lucrative role to target for the bad guys. I was going to suggest that if we went through with asking, neither claim that they are or aren't the mailman to make it harder to guess, but... I was a little late to do so. Apologies."

"Please, correct me if I'm wrong," Steven began, "My head still hurts quite a bit... But if I'm understanding the situation, is it also possible that neither message recipient is the Mailman, and we have two other people here who can send messages at night? Or one other person who can send multiple messages? And no Parrot at all?"

[[also Free, you can ignore the "great deals" thing, I was cracking a meta joke at the Humble Vale game and the "WOW/DEALS" coded messages there. If you can't tell, messages give me mafia anxiety lol]]

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[Okay now I understand what Parrot does lol but I want to hear what Starlight has to say before I start digging into these theories.]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[Morning, morning. Gonna respond to a few messages that caught my attention.]]
"Okay, okay, hold up. HOW are all of these Pokemon talking? Where did you come from? You've played these games before? You want to explain what's going on? Or who you are? Or who any of these people and Pokemon are?"
"Do ya want the long version or the short version?" Altair asked with a wry smile.

"I beg your pardon, but I'm not sure I'm ready to assuredly credit the idea that there are two 'mailman' players, just yet," she said, lightly. "With so many roles available, and given the nature of 'role madness', I would be a little surprised if there were duplicate roles in play, hm... It's possible, I grant, but there is another explanation for two messages – besides that one or both recipients might be untruthful! – namely, one message may have been sent by a Parrot. I note that this role is among the list of valid powers. I would caution against drawing firm conclusions with so little evidence available."
[[Been brought up quite a bit while I was asleep, but I feel that we need to hear from both Free and Starlight. If it's a Parrot, that means one of them is our mailman but I don't want to subscribe to that theory just yet. More I think about it, more I believe that this mailman can send multiple messages as it has been known to be able to use their ability more than once per night. Though again, baseless speculation.]]

"What."

May rubbed her forehead for a moment. "Okay, what was the first word of your message? Mine starts with a C. It has the word "received" in it. First word after that starts with an O."
[[@Starlight Aurate could you corroborate this?]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
Jet made a face at the Voice speaking over the Espeon. "That sounds weird and complicated. If a parrot was gonna copy someone and got swapped, why the heck would they get swapped twice. They'd just use their thing on the guy they targeted."

[[Hey, you're actually learning the mechanics?]]

I can do what I want, Jet snapped at her Voice, sticking her nose in the air.
[[Jackie can probably explain it better than I can because swaps in mafia make my brain hurt, but this could happen with only one swap, I believe?]]

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Ngl, it's starting to feel like you're grasping at straws, trying to find SOMETHING suspicious about ANYONE.
[[ isn't this literally the entire point of mafia hunting ]]

NeoLurosa

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
[[ isn't this literally the entire point of mafia hunting ]]
[[I mean…yes, but latching on to a Pokémon-themed phrase is a really odd hill to die on. There’s no reason for us to suspect people will be talking in code in their posts on the thread, since the messages appear to be night actions and confined to DMs. So you suddenly jumping on Sind for this doesn’t make sense, and only makes you look sus or at the very least like you know something you’re not sharing. Do you have reason to believe, due to your role or night action, that people will be using code in their thread posts? If so, it would be better to share that than lead a wagon based on a random phrase alone. —Yellow ]]

Top Bottom