• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

The White Elephant in the Room Playground

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Darkwhite growled, but then turned her attention to the machine. That thing seemed to know everything. "Hey, you! Wii thing! What day is it, and how far are we from Christmas?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Mia watched and listened. The dating games weren't turning up much useful information so far. But...

"Palkia's right. Darkwhite is suspicious."

She narrowed her eyes at the Mew-like creature. "My ability isn't weird like the ones she listed either. So the ones she claims she has don't fit with anyone else's. That's weird. She said she needed advice as a reason to tell us she had one of a bunch of strong abilities but then she didn't really act interested in the advice. She just said that to make us think she had a strong power, without having to prove any of it. She's lying."

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Darkwhite growled, but then turned her attention to the machine. That thing seemed to know everything. "Hey, you! Wii thing! What day is it, and how far are we from Christmas?"
The Wii hummed a tune, counted down and back from forty-two, and generally pretended to be busy. The PS3 booted up in its absence. "Christmas is a holiday celebrated in many universes on the twenty-fifth of December. While many Santas behave differently, they tend to deliver their presents on the eve of said date. Many different cultures developed customs surrounding the day, even extending the holiday to the surrounding week or even month. Today is Wednesday the thirty-fifth. Tomorrow will be Monday the fourth."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
And fight back she did. Darkwhite was ready for it. But not before she looked at Jesse with a betrayed look in her eyes. "You don't even care if I'm gone? I thought we were friends! We're both good guys right? You have a power that asks about the game and stuff! I have a power that--I mean, I might have one of those nine powers!" She seethed, but then looked to Palkia. She clearly didn't get the same signal that it was a facade, and she was grabbing for the remote.
"Are we friends?" asked Jesse, genuinely surprised. "Sure don't have the impression you like me much, Darkwhite. But listen, this is a chance for you to get Palkia on side. If the three of us are all Nice, surely we can gain each other's trust and vote as a bloc against more suspicious types. And while you sure ain't actin' like a truly benevolent sort, I ain't yet convinced you're our murderer either."

Jesse levelled his palms and shook his head. "But if you wanna give me some indication that ya care about folks' wellbein' like ya claim, then you have my open invitation to do so. Then I'll gladly be yer friend."

He huffed. "And I never said anythin' 'bout what my power did 'cept to imply it ain't one that provides information. Jus' sayin'."

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Tabitha lay crouched as he watched the wreckage and destruction take place before him. Thank goodness they didn't destroy the couch--he could still lie there in peace, listening and watching the events unfold before him. Much of it was... some strange dating game. He grimaced as much as a Mightyena could. He did not want to get involved in anything romantic. It had been years since he had pursued romance, and only one person of late had been on his mind. In a flash, he thought of her long blonde hair and amber eyes--

He shook his head. What on earth did he think of her for? Being in a Mightyena's body must be taking a bigger toll on him than he thought.

He watched, impressed, as the Beldum rammed through objects to obtain the BINGO card. That Pokemon possessed considerable strength! Perhaps it was the one who killed the Clause?

And everyone was talking of "gifts" and powers they possessed--and who to take out. He looked at the candy cane in his paws with distaste. He couldn't stomach candy--it was so sugary sweet that one could get diabetes. And he couldn't eat any sort of carbs--he gained weight very, very easily, as he found out the hard way.

He listened to the others voting. He didn't fancy the idea of taking someone out because they were quiet; sure, remaining silent could be a good way to cover tracks, but it wasn't always cause for suspicion. If they took someone out for simply not putting for their information, they could potentially lose a valuable ally.

He wasn't sure about everyone's claim to power--the Mew's claims seemed specific enough that it would take genius (or madness--which he didn't rule out) to come up with them. The Delphox, though Tabitha didn't like him, also seemed honest enough about having a non-informative power. The Palkia had been talkative enough but hadn't provided any information about its potential power (though Tabitha knew it was immense). Overt talkativeness was another way to cover one's tracks.

She narrowed her eyes at the Mew-like creature. "My ability isn't weird like the ones she listed either. So the ones she claims she has don't fit with anyone else's. That's weird. She said she needed advice as a reason to tell us she had one of a bunch of strong abilities but then she didn't really act interested in the advice. She just said that to make us think she had a strong power, without having to prove any of it. She's lying."
He agreed with the science project; the claim was, indeed, suspicious. But who everyone voted for could also be making statements about themselves. And abstaining all together... That was another surefire way to give the murderers a chance to kill another innocent.

He lay in position, watching and listening for more information to present itself before making a decision.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"Palkia's right. Darkwhite is suspicious."

"Blaming her over one slip up is..." Lee paused. He started speaking without actually thinking. Of course the Killers could slip up as well, so Darkwhite slipping up doesn't prove anything on either side. It would be safer to go after her for her mistake, but picking off one the two pokemon his question to Squirt cleared felt like one of the worse options.

"Remember, even if we don't know the extent of Squirt's ability to answer my questions, the one I asked him clears both Palkia and Darkwhite of most suspicion, at the very least in my eyes. It would also be safer to keep as many people alive until we have more solid evidence of anyone being the killer. Chances are, she made up eight abilities equally ludicrous to her own to hide which one she had, or nine totally fabricated abilities, to scare the killers to targeting her." Lee stood up, reaching the room everyone else was in.

"I'm more confident about Darkwhite's innocence now, even if I'm not entirely on her side just yet. But, if Darkwhite or me get axed off in the night, then it's safe to say that the two going after her now are suspect," Lee said firmly. He looked to the monochrome feline with a stony glare. "Likewise, if Mia or Palkia are killed off, you're riding right up my list of suspects. Understand?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"And I never said anythin' 'bout what my power did 'cept to imply it ain't one that provides information. Jus' sayin'."

"Wait, then what was that thing about magical intuition? I thought you just used your power today or something!" Darkwhite looked at Mia, seething even more. "Look at what you did!" She pointed at Palkia. "Not you guys are going to eliminate an innocent just like that! You want to know why I gave out all those powerful powers? Because what if maybe I DID have a powerful power and didn't want it to be known immediately, huh?" She pulled back.

"I thought everyone had awesome powers if mine was so cool! You know, hypothetically!"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"And also," Darkwhite added hastily, "I kind of... didn't... know what my power did at first." She poked her little paws together. "I read the note, but then I got, like, an intuition that I could do more with it. And there were other things about it, too. At first my power was more basic, but then I, like, asked about stuff in my room, like, to the air. You know, thinking aloud. And I... realized that it could do more stuff. So my... power was sort of, I didn't know all of it until later, too. Which makes some things I just learned..." She glared intensely at the PS3. "...make my power less awesome than I thought... but it's still useful! I can still help!"

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Wait, then what was that thing about magical intuition? I thought you just used your power today or something!
"Nah. I ain't used my power yet. I meant the same sorta thing as how we all remember wrappin' a present we didn't fuckin' wrap, and folks keep sayin' they have false memories of how this goddamn 'game' works. I got an intuition that there's a new present waitin' for me to unwrap tonight, is all."

Jesse scratched his head, at first in thought, and then in increasing frustration. He turned to Tabitha under the couch and snapped his fingers.

"I can't read your mind, son. But I can fuckin' tell you don't approve of votin' off the silent one fer bein' silent. Tell you what, if you wanna offer up a better target, one that ain't already cleared by Lee, I'll vote with ya. How about it?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
if you wanna offer up a better target, one that ain't already cleared by Lee, I'll vote with ya.

"...Wait a second." Darkwhite hummed. "What was the thing that cleared me and Palkia of being the baddies? Fur?" She paused. "Oh, wait, Legends. I mean, I guess I count as Legendary. I am pretty awesome. But that doesn't really narrow our options much..."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
"Look at what you did!" She pointed at Palkia. "Not you guys are going to eliminate an innocent just like that! You want to know why I gave out all those powerful powers? Because what if maybe I DID have a powerful power and didn't want it to be known immediately, huh?" She pulled back.
"Fascinating," Palkia answered distractedly, picking up a Wii remote. "Ready whenever you are~"

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"...Wait a second." Darkwhite hummed. "What was the thing that cleared me and Palkia of being the baddies? Fur?" She paused. "Oh, wait, Legends. I mean, I guess I count as Legendary. I am pretty awesome. But that doesn't really narrow our options much..."

"At least it saves your skin from getting the majority vote, assuming the majority cares," Lee huffed. "And don't sell yourself too much girly, I know a gaggle of bumbling assholes back home that rock that look better than you."

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Jesse scratched his head, at first in thought, and then in increasing frustration. He turned to Tabitha under the couch and snapped his fingers.

"I can't read your mind, son. But I can fuckin' tell you don't approve of votin' off the silent one fer bein' silent. Tell you what, if you wanna offer up a better target, one that ain't already cleared by Lee, I'll vote with ya. How about it?"
Tabitha slunk out from under the couch, twitching his ears as he glared at the Delphox.

"I don't have any strong leads as to who suspect for murder. Right now, we're counting on Lee being trustworthy--and if he is, then it appears that Darkwhite and Palkia are innocent. But none of this is confirmed. The Scyther-girl was quick to dismiss Lee's and Darkwhite's claims. She doesn't trust them. She stated why she doesn't trust the Scyther, but what about the other one?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Mia frowned in annoyance. "Why is everyone acting like Lee cleared anyone? I already explained probably Squirt doesn't even know who killed him. I didn't say Lee's lying. I said it doesn't mean anything."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"And even if Darkwhite didn't kill Squirt, that doesn't mean she's not one of the killers. It just means she's not the one who killed him."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Wait, then what was that thing about magical intuition? I thought you just used your power today or something!" Darkwhite looked at Mia, seething even more. "Look at what you did!" She pointed at Palkia. "Not you guys are going to eliminate an innocent just like that! You want to know why I gave out all those powerful powers? Because what if maybe I DID have a powerful power and didn't want it to be known immediately, huh?" She pulled back.

"I thought everyone had awesome powers if mine was so cool! You know, hypothetically!"
"And also," Darkwhite added hastily, "I kind of... didn't... know what my power did at first." She poked her little paws together. "I read the note, but then I got, like, an intuition that I could do more with it. And there were other things about it, too. At first my power was more basic, but then I, like, asked about stuff in my room, like, to the air. You know, thinking aloud. And I... realized that it could do more stuff. So my... power was sort of, I didn't know all of it until later, too. Which makes some things I just learned..." She glared intensely at the PS3. "...make my power less awesome than I thought... but it's still useful! I can still help!"
Mia fixed Darkwhite with a hard stare. "If you didn't want your powerful power to be known immediately, you could have just not said anything about it. Why did you really tell everyone?"

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"Right now, we're counting on Lee being trustworthy--"

"If Lee's lying," Darkwhite said, "that seems like a pretty dumb way to expose the other two naughty people or whatever by just trying to triple claim or whatever."

Mia frowned in annoyance. "Why is everyone acting like Lee cleared anyone? I already explained probably Squirt doesn't even know who killed him. I didn't say Lee's lying. I said it doesn't mean anything."

Lee hummed, thoughtful. "I can say for certain that I am telling the truth, but Mia isn't wrong to be suspicious of what Squirt can and cannot say. I, however, will continue to believe what the spirit told me. And I thank those that believe in my words."

"However," Lee pointed a claw to Mia. "Being skeptical is fine, but this is also our only lead. Sowing doubt in the one possible lead we have is both a bad idea for the innocents, unless they know something they aren't telling us, or a good play for the murderers. Right now you are the only one I will have my eye on. Whether I am right or wrong, we shall see."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"If you didn't want your powerful power to be known immediately, you could have just not said anything about it. Why did you really tell everyone?"

Darkwhite looked flustered, her hazy body crackling. "Because... because... because...!" And finally, the clouds faded, and she looked at least slightly normal, aside from the eyes, the tail, and the color. "Because I didn't know what to do with my power and I was scared I'd use it wrong."

Top Bottom