• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

The Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"I might be able to help with that if you'll let me," Bahamut said.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave watched Soda for a moment. "You remember what it made you forget yet?"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Saltriv stared at the Blacklight Eternal. It looked so similar to how they heard Dark Matter described.

Wait...maybe...

Saltriv's eyes widened as they saw Pop preparing an attack. No! It'll probably just come back again, like Dark Matter did in their world!

"WAIT!" they shouted, running as fast as they could towards the Pokeball."ETERNAL BLACKLIGHT! WE ACCEPT YOU!"

Saltriv used Void Acceptance on the Eternal Blacklight!

This...this was the right thing, wasn't it? It worked for Dark Matter...and this was so similar, so it should work...

...right?

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa paused, half ready to launch some attack of his own at this point, though he doubted any of his powers could help. Though he couldn't help but be shocked by Slatri'vs frantic cry.

Accept it? That sounded insane, but hadn't Saltriv's family back home saved the world, or something like that?

For now, it seemed, all he could do was watch and wait, hope for the best.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Soda eyed Bahamut warily, but then at Dave. "...Nah. Not yet." He looked down. "But I know it's wrong. The way it all happened... gotta be wrong." He sighed. Steady breaths. "...How can you help?" he asked Bahamut. "I dunno if I'm... ready yet. But I have a feeling that... somehow, what I just did... is the same thing I'd done before. Got all twisted up by power way too big for my spirit... and had to get taken down for it. That's probably the last... Adne remembers of me." He looked off, smiling sadly. "Damn. Looks like I really can't learn."

--

Pop was about to fire--what it would have done, perhaps not even he knew. But when Nate called out, followed by Saltriv's hasty actions--which didn't seem to do a lot, at least observably... It gave him pause. Particularly, he glanced at Nate, recalling how he'd already saved his life once before, against Joule.

"...The seal won't last forever," Pop said, "and I do not think... this entity is quite the same as Dark Matter, Saltriv. But... I sensed something, just then, coming from inside its seal. But I do not know what. But I simply cannot risk it existing in our realm... I'm sorry. This is my decision. But..." Pop glanced at Nate, then Saltriv, and finally Owen and all the rest of Team Spectrum. "But I will leave you... some hope. I do not think you are done with this Blacklight just yet."

A silver portal appeared beneath the sphere.

"But it is my responsibility, first and foremost, to save Cibus."

The portal brightened.

And just then, the crack got bigger. Light poured from the ball again like a dark haze. Time was short--and it appeared, once again, to be hostile.

"Ngh--I can't hold it," Pop said. "It must be sealed!"

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
With some from of action to be done, Vix held herself a bit taller than usual and formed a sphere overhead. She tried to drain as much from the parasite as she possibly could.

Drake, also, joined her side. "I... don't know if this will work, but I could try helping drain the thing," he said, then grimaced. "Wait... uh, imagine I said that differently."

Vix nodded. "Just imagine the parasite's energy as water, and use your hand to guide it like a river to the sphere."

"...Really? I don't see you doin' none of that shit."

"That's how I imagine it, and it works, so shut up and do it," Vix huffed. "It helps to think of the corruption as our corruption. Just grab the parts that feel familiar to us."

Drake snorted. Vix jabbed him in the side.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
A thousand thoughts rumbled through Koa. He looked at Owen, then all of the team. He wasn't even sure what to do now. Was saving it the right move, or would it be smarter to destroy it.

Old, buried memories crawled up in his mind.

"If you all think this is what we have to do... Seal it."

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"You've been through... a tremendous ordeal." Bahamut lowered himself to the cabin floor, which put him at what seemed to constitute eye level... given his lack of eyes. This wasn't the time to go through the details. "Your friends want you to recover." He glanced at Dave. "So, let's see if we can start that process."

Focus. That's all he had to do. Dark or not, minds were his domain. He held up his right hand. Dim light swirled around his claws, sculping into something that should've been familiar, if the grapevine was accurate. Glass. A glass bottle. There wasn't a label, but there didn't need to be.

"Rumor has it you've helped a lot of people in your lifetime." Bahamut slowly tilted the bottle's mouth toward Soda. "What was that like?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave took a deep breath. "Well, when something's there conveniently erasing all the memories of what you learned, that's not exactly your fucking fault, is it? Just... try not to get infested by any more parasites."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Saltriv paused at Pop's words, then saw all the Unown circling around themselves, and got an idea.

"Unown! Help us stop the bad guy! Make something to seal it away!" they called.

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Oh, fuck. Yeah, definitely too simple. Nate stared at the widening cracks in the top of the pokéball. It was okay. It was okay! They could totally punch it some more and it'd go back down. No big deal. They were good at punching things.

Except now Arceus was here, and Nate had a real sinking feeling that the Blacklight thing really, really wanted them gone.

They needed some way to power him up. Strengthen the seal until they could get the Blacklight thing somewhere safe. But Nate didn't have anything that could do that, as usual he was going to be fucking useless, standing here. Who on the team could? The ninetales, he could maybe--

But as Nate looked frantically around for where the ninetales had gone, what his eye fell on first was a few listless unown, floating around near Saltriv.

Of course. The unown. That was the divine power they needed right there, wasn't it?"

"Pop!" he yelled. "The unown! Can they help you make a seal?"

Bahamut had said it wasn't hard, right? And they liked... they liked making things, right? Hell, they'd made that fucking pokéball themselves, hadn't they?

"Uh, unown! All of you!" Nate yelled. God, he sounded so fucking stupid, this would never fucking work. "I got something knew for you to make! Make us... make us a pokéball so strong it can even hold a god! It's called... it's called a master ball!" He pictured it in his head: the horrible cracks in the pokéball sealing again, its outer shell thickening, darkening, until it had turned a familiar deep purple with a tiny "M" above the button.

He imagined the ball twitching again, but still holding strong until it clicked and the glow went out from its front button. This time the seal held. Nate's imagination insisted on that, very firmly.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa blinked as he listened to his team mates cries Could... Could there be another way? What if that Marshtomp was onto something. What if Saltriv was right? He looked up at the last remnants of the Unown, swirling feebly about. "Please!" he called, letting the power of his Blacklight seep into his words. "Unown, if you can help us, we need you. They say you can create anything... Can you help seal this entity away so it can't escape? Or tell us how to fix it?"

It was such a long shot. And if it was risky he wasn't even sure he wanted to try it - why am I doing this?

Was he afraid to destroy it or did he want to help? Cibus was powered by goodwill or something like that, maybe this was the right thing? What if it ended up being wrong, and that Thing escaped? But he had to try. And this would be the best possible way to. "If you can... help us!"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Soda smiled at Dave, apologetic, but relieved. At least Dave could forgive him. And maybe the others could... but... after all that happened, he wasn't sure. He wouldn't blame them. This was the second time he'd been twisted by a great power. Perhaps he didn't need it to be happy anymore.

"...My life with Maple... and before that, with Adne... yeah. Yeah, I did... I did a lot of good."

He didn't really know why, but with Bahamut guiding him, and Dave being there, it felt like he was at the bar again, talking about his troubles. But there was some clarity to it, this time. He didn't speak offhandedly, or callously, but quietly. Reminiscing. Cautious, making sure that every memory felt right. He spoke of various crises that had fallen on his old world, and how he'd saved it a few times before retiring.

He went on several tangents, but was occasionally guided back to something productive, but he was more relaxed. Productive. There was a little light in those tired eyes.

"...And then..." Soda sighed. "And then... I can't remember yet. But... I know... it was a mistake. All of it. And then, that power... something about that power... messed with my head. Just like here. All over again..."

"I don't think Ionys is ready yet," Adne said gently. "But... I think you helped him a lot, here. Please, let him rest... I don't think he will fight you anymore. You should go back and help the others."

"...There's still one more Substitute, isn't there?" Soda asked. "Tell him... it's alright. I've... I've got it. I'm ready."

--

Around the same time that the connection Bahamut and Dave had with Soda was starting to fade, like their time with him was already limited, Arceus was helping to convey the thoughts of Nate, Slatriv, Koa, and the others to the Unown. they swirled, weak and dazed, but a few were more aware. They danced around the cracked ball. They felt Nate's thoughts. Pop felt his Hope, his drive...

"There it is," Pop said, and the portal brightened at the same time that the ball did. "Now!"

Beams of silver energy wrapped around the red-white ball. Its colors shifted, darkening. The cracks started to seal, just as Nate envisioned them. An M struggled to form at the top, and Nate felt a tugging sensation on his head, like the Unown were trying to draw memories from him for reference.

But then something cracked. It felt like an icicle had been jabbed through Nate's skull, and then all of the Unown shrieked, and Pop winced and stomped his hoof on the ground as a last resort.

The thing plunged into the portal. The capsule shattered. Something inside shrieked in pain--and then the portal closed, leaving not a trace behind.

He knelt, eyes shut tight.

"Pop!" Owen shouted. "Nate! Are you okay?!"

"I couldn't seal it in that capsule. It... it was too much," Pop grunted. "But... I found another way. We... we will be fine. Cibus will be fine. But I need rest. I'll... explain later."

Pop wasn't the only one to feel it. Some time had passed; by now, fatigue from the battle--no matter how well off they had been by the end of it--was starting to catch up to Team spectrum. Owen waved his hands in front of him, swatting at invisible dots in his vision as it collapsed into a narrow tunnel.

The portal opened again, this time with Eien peeking out. "What happened?" Eien asked, trying to emerge. "There was some interference--Joule couldn't open the portal!"

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Bahamut had snapped back to his body and swallowed his core. He looked toward Dave, trying to give some sort of facial signal that he should be the one to give the news. The good news. Soda's psyche was much cleaner than he expected. Another miracle happened after all. Maybe Soda wouldn't have a perfect ending, but there was still the possibility for a happy one.

He swallowed those thoughts, however. Confusion replaced them. Arceus was exhausted. And he was the team's source of atmosphere! "Your air is fading. Everyone needs to get into the portal now!"

The necrozma's wings flared as he sent out telekinetic pulses to pick up those who couldn't be carried. Or, in the case of dark-types like Starr, he sent his tail over to physically help.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"...There's still one more Substitute, isn't there?" Soda asked. "Tell him... it's alright. I've... I've got it. I'm ready."
"All right. I'll tell him." To dispel himself. Become just part of Soda again. Like the others. "...See you out there. We can grab a drink sometime, after I've slept for a fucking week."

And then, with what felt like a rush of air, he was back in his body, swaying as Mia held him upright. Bahamut was looking at him, making some kind of... encouraging face? "He's fine," he said. "Recovering." He glanced at Green. "Said he's ready."

But before anything else could happen, Bahamut was frantically ushering them all into the portal. Mia just plain grabbed him and levitated him off the ground.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
For a moment, a spark of hope fluttered in Koa's chest. Then it faded as he saw the ball cracked a split second before being shoved into the portal. That was it.

"Dunno," he muttered. "Pop tried to contain it but... we couldn't. It didn't work." His shoulders sagged. So that was it? Was it all over? But Pop had said...

"You good, Owen?" he called. The Charizard looked about as exhausted as anyone else, but was probably ok. Dave was back too, his familiar helping him. Good, good. What about-

He glanced over and spied Brisa, who seemed to be attempting to stand, and limped towards as quick as he was able to help. At least with his bulkier body he could be of some assistance. A slow ache was beginning to overtake him.

"We did alright, I reckon," she mumbled wearily, draping a paw over his back for support. She looked so exhausted...Battered body, scorched bits of fur, eyes half open. Though he imagined he couldn't look much better. Even with the revitalizing effects of that seed during the battle the mental and physical strain was starting to manifest.

His thoughts began to swirl wearily and he staggered for the portal alongside the rest of the team. Brisa murmured something tiredly, about wind and rain, and getting a drink (he swore he heard her mention Astrid and Starr) and... "Y'did good, kid. We all did."

"So did you."

He let his thoughts drift as he headed out, casting a final look around the moon. By Ho-Oh's feathers he couldn't wait to just... go home.

Wherever that was.

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
For a few seconds, it looked like everything might be working. It wasn't exactly pleasant, having a bunch of unown dragging on his memories, but Nate couldn't exactly blame them. He fed them all he could--not like he hadn't seen a goddamn master ball in operation way more than he ever wouldn't wanted to. He didn't actually see the moment when everything went to shit and the master ball started cracking again, in the end: he was lying on the ground with a fucking migraine instead, not able to see or hear anything at all.

The next thing he knew there was chaos all around, Bahamut yelling something about the air, people floating all over the place, and a portal overhead that was way too fucking bright. Nate closed his eyes and groaned.

"Come on!" Rocky was dragging at one arm, which actually was pulling him along a bit. Funky gravity or whatever the fuck.

"What... happened?" Even trying to keep his eyes opened felt like way too much effort. Plus, everything was too fucking bright anyhow, so Nate stopped bothering to try. Fuck. Had he got hit by some kind of weird energy drain.

"I can tell you later! For now you need to go through the portal!"

But it was no good. Nate had either passed out or fallen asleep. It was left to Rocky to haul him, one-handed, back to Cibus.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Somewhere in the midst of the fierce fighting that had raged across the surface of the moon, an Incineroar had pinned her shadowy double to the ground, and slugged it the face with a flaming fist. She felt the impact rattle her own jaw, but she didn't let up.

"Does it feel good, hurting me?" Astrid asked, staring up at her with a lopsided grin, half of her face misshapen. "You don't even have to feel bad about it because it's you."

Starr didn't say anything. She just threw another punch. Bracing herself for the mirror impact wasn't hard. She was used to pain.

"Bet you think things will be so much easier without me. I'M the one making you miserable, right? I'M the one making you hate yourself."

Starr flinched. "Oh, fuck off. Everyone else had to beat down their shadows too. You're not special."

"It'll be so. much. easier if you just forget me, won't it?"

Yes. Yes it would. That was fucking obvious, and always had been. So then why did she find herself doubting it?

"Guess... we have different perspectives on forgetting. I guess for me, it's more like... if I do forget, I'm also probably going to be repeating the same mistakes again later, you know? After how long I've lived with everyone keeping things from me, I want to know all the information I can. And that includes my past... Good and bad. So I guess in that way, I can't really let go of it, huh?"

The blows came automatically. Starr didn't have the drive to put any real force behind them. The shadow was falling apart. Golden tears leaked from dark eyes.

"What was all the pain even for then?! Why did I have to go through all that? If you could just forget?!"

Starr's fist burst clean through the shadow's head and struck the bright white moon rock beneath. The body rapidly began to dissolve, tiny bits of light and dark inevitably drawn toward her, because there wasn't anything she could do to stop them. That empty space that had been left behind was full once more.

And yet, a sickly, hollow feeling remained in Starr's chest. A broken snarl escaped her mouth, claws digging into the rock.

Not now. Later. She'd deal with it later. After they'd won.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Throughout the entire ordeal with that trapping sphere, Icetales had stayed totally vigil and alert, getting ready to give another taste of Chaos, if needed.

Though, as soon as the cracking sphere vanished inside the portal, his hyper-focus dispelled, as if turned off with a switch.

It is over. For now.

It was over. It was really… over. Right?

We did swell.

“We did… swell…” Icetales closed his eyes, finally letting some tears of relief pour from them. “Swell… y-yes…”

Finally, exhaustion overtook him, both physical and mental. The quasar whirred and quivered, then began shrinking back into the fox. Blacklight evaporated from his body, which turned once more into his silver self. Adrenaline plummeted, and so did his body, hitting the floor with a loud thud.

As his consciousness slipped away, he felt Petram’s mind connecting with him, telling him he would be alright, then shadowy arms wrapping around his body as he was carried away.

All right… everything would be… all right…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom