• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Until the new bringer, whose part of an arceus sect, gets picked as reds about ready to start slicing and dicing the poor smuck in the table. I mean we dont know how deep that arceus worshipers ties to the arcian religion are, (probably not very considering hes breaking and entering) but the sheer irony made me bark a laugh. Also now that the painters got some corolating evidence that the fossil is able to enfluence more than one person, with the new bringer, and that reds blessing are real (per painful personal experience) we're now in another tense stand off between multiole factors... And its unclear if the timer is still ticking in reds life expectency...
It seems that you've misunderstood - Ogawa isn't Arcean. He was just a criminal for hire who was hired by Miriam (Red's stalker lady), who's the one that was Arcean.

Thanks for the review, both off you! I hope you'll like what's to come once I get out of my current slump and continue the story.

REDWAV5

Baro
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi again! Continuing on my reviews from AO3 here. I ended up reading through both the end of 'Hunter, Haunted' and what's out for this sequel (read over Vivarium too just before making this review), but it was a couple of days ago so I might get a few details wrong, figure I could put the warning out there.

Anyways, heh. Red got off quite easy there, didn't he, with the fact that Joanna's gone. Still woke up in a hospital though, and the events of vivarium happened. Or, well, the dream sequence happened. I wonder how much of his dream sequences are just self-created thanks to events in his life like the twitch (really interesting concept for that btw) and how much is just from being haunted like he was. Or just from the other Gastly still going after him. I really like the carry-overs between vivarium and the final chapter too, with Red clinging to Him like He's his last resort on sanity in that dream sequence, and trying to make up with him the very next chapter. Red is really not having a great time sanity-wise, but based on the ending of book one, he seems to be doing better. Not that much better, considering what's to come, but the fact that he is seeking out help shows he's changed at least a little from the start of this whole thing.

Now, onto the sequel! Oh boy, I can't wait to see Red doing all sorts of good deeds now that he's a changed person! Weee!

...And instead, he's immediately told that he won't be the bringer, and that he's to find a new one within six months if he wants to get immortality. He's told this just before he has a court session to attend, too. Niceee. He somehow manages to get out of court with a slap on the wrist (being brought into a 'ducklett program'), before promptly resorting to wandering around a school he hasn't attended to hopefully find a new successor, filing through the antisocial kids to see if any of them have evil thoughts or whatever. Goes about as well as expected, heh. He gets caught, but not by the police, so he's lucky there.

Speaking of the Ducklett program, admittedly I can see that it has been doing him some good as well, with his new semi-friendship with Suki, bonding somewhat over their interest in biology and shared experiences with hauntings while doing their tasks. (Gosh darn it Red. I see what you did in chapter 15. That's cold. I'd expect you to do it, but that's still cold.) :P He is continuing to show interest in therapy though, which is a really good sign for his sanity, even if he might not fully go down that path.

When Red got his next idea to look for a new bringer from a gay bar, I cackled and made myself some popcorn. When he got there and boo'd someone off the stage, I immediately recoiled, and walked away from my computer for like a minute. Whew.

From here, we meet Andre. I really like his character, especially in contrast to Red's throughout the story. While not at all normal, he does more or less have a good amount of success in trying to reign Red back a little, even if he gets bucked a little toward Red's insanity as well. I would bring Samson in that conversation as well, but he's not quite as prominent since Red doesn't like him nearly as much, therefore trying to avoid interacting with him as much as possible, but yeah. Andre and his motives are really interesting, and though killing still does go a bit far, his moral compass is far more just compared to an individual like Red. He does quite the job of bringing Red even closer to what could be considered sanity. I could see that being a reason why HE wanted Red to continue meeting with Andre, but I'm not wholly sure of the actual reasoning for that. Still probably one of the more interesting characters to follow.

And then there's the new bringer. ...Admittedly he isn't that likable, but that's kinda to be expected, considering the role they play. Don't have much to say about him yet, and it's hard to tell if he'll get that much of a major focus. I could see it going either way at this point, despite how major of a role he has.

Final major character that sticks out to me, Samson. He's kind of more or less a third wheel that somewhat counters Red's religion, trying to see and bring out the good in Red despite what he's witnessed from him. The fact that he has an adopted houndoom kid is... really interesting, honestly. Having gotten caught up in Red's illusion like what he described in the book 1 epilogue makes me think he will try to keep having a role in Red's life too, hoping he's a good person.

Before I end this off, I figure I could mention the worldbuilding, because that's the first thing that immediately jumped out at me when I started the sequel. I mentioned it earlier, but taking the concept from twitch plays pokémon and turning it into something experienced by a real person is... frightening, but very interesting. I haven't fully watched or read through the lore of what actually happened in it sadly though, but I can kinda piece a few things together through reading the lore from this, with Red's phobia of screens because they would break whenever he was around them.

Was a very entertaining read, and quite excited for what's to come! See ya 'round!

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Was a very entertaining read, and quite excited for what's to come! See ya 'round!
Thank you so very much for the review! I'm extremely glad to have a reader just decide to pick up my story and read through the whole thing like that. Next update will still be a while since I'm still editing what's been posted so far (nothing drastic, just details), but I can tell you that it'll rock your socks off. It'll be the end of Act 2 and bring the story into its final Act 3. Thanks again, and see you then!

Top Bottom