• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Rocky Road ~ House of Brisa, Dave, Koa, and Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Only one? Good grief.

"Dave, I'll pay if it gets you to go." Gods, please don't fight me on this. Every chance for some emotional breakthrough is a chance things will be better for you back home. But you'll just talk about how you'll write it all off as a dream or whatever. Goddamnit.

Brisa took a firm breath. "Fugu again, then? I believe y'said you're no fan of the other top therapists."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"I mean, paying a different therapist for Fugu's help would rather defeat the point, wouldn't it." He looked at Brisa, picking up his coffee again. "Yeah, the others seem like nutjobs. Fugu's kind of a nut but in mostly just a normal Cibus kind of way. What's the big urgency here? I don't know what the hell I'd even talk to her about for a second session but sure, fine, I owe her. Like I said already."

He took another sip, still watching her out of the corner of his eye.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Don't tell me y'got everythin' worth talkin' 'bout sorted in a single session," drawled Brisa, trying to lighten the mood a little. "Remind me, what did you end up goin' over last time?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Uh, she asked a bunch of random questions, and then she started grilling me about drinking, and Shadow, and busted out the sword out of nowhere, and we had a battle." More coffee. "I'm guessing that's how it usually goes."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Somethin' like that, usually. This one time I just attacked her fuckin' immediately. I was havin' a shit day, didn't wanna talk, went at it. The battle got me to open up about my shit without overthinkin' it. Worked out."

Brisa cocked her head. "She use her Mesprit gift? Give you a reflection of yer feelings t'chew on?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"The thing where it echoes some shit you said? Yeah." Dave picked at a notch in the cup. "You know, that's a thought. Just get to the fight part straight away and skip the awkward small talk."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Still haven't picked up a taste fer recreational fightin', have ya?" commented Brisa, marvelling that the guy somehow made it through every damn fight the team had been in, and a couple Colo matches at that, despite having less of a battleheart than practically anybody. "Don't worry, I'm done draggin' ya to the arena."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
He raised an eyebrow, sipping a bit more coffee. "Yeah, still not a big fan of the whole fighting for sport thing. Beats sitting and talking about feelings, though."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa rolled her eyes dramatically. "Combat sport an' talkin' 'bout feelings are the best goddamn things there are. What's wrong with you?"

She smiled at Dave and sank back into the couch with a sigh. She was gonna miss him too. Him and all his bullshit.

"You should talk to Fugu about what you do like. I'm serious. Passion matters, and you have it. Don't always show, but it's there."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave grinned at her quip, finishing the last of the coffee before setting the cup back down on the table. "I could get behind that. Talk her ear off about genetics until she physically shuts me up."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded. Genetics had come up in their first ever interaction. She'd first heard of the concept from... Well, from her pa. Huh.

"Tell me a li'l somethin' 'bout genetics, why don't you? Can't promise I'll follow everythin', but I like seein' you genuinely fuckin' interested in somethin'."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave raised his eyebrows. What did Brisa know? She had heard about genetics, he remembered, and read a bunch of science from when humans were a thing in Cowboy World, right?

"Well, the coolest thing about life is when you get right down to it it's all just a bunch of molecules. No magic, no animating soul, just the laws of physics all the way down. All life is about at its core is just that some way or another you get a molecule that's self-replicating. Makes more copies of itself. There's nothing special or magic about it, it's just the shape of that molecule and its properties eventually leads to another copy of the molecule. At first it'd just have been a simple strand that works as a template - other molecules that happen to bump into it stick to it in a way that chains them together into another strand that's a mirror image of it. But sometimes maybe it's not copied perfectly, because this is all just molecules bumping into each other. And maybe depending on those differences, it can be better or worse at making copies of itself. Right?" He looked at her to make sure she was following.

"Well, that's literally all you need to get evolution. Once you've got something that self-replicates, and sometimes it does so imperfectly, and the differences can affect its ability to replicate, then you're going to end up with more copies of the versions that are best at replicating. Tautologically, right? So the replicators overall are going to get better and better at it, in whatever environment they're in. And part of what these molecules might do is they can catalyze the formation of other molecules, and maybe those somehow help it keep replicating, directly or indirectly. So then if you fast-forward a few billion years from there, the replicators are building entire elaborate organisms carrying billions of copies of themselves, and those organisms have evolved to be so complex they've got brains that can figure out how the replicators work. And then they can go fuck you, I don't want kids." He smirked.

"We're a bunch of lumbering vehicles for blind self-replicators with the self-awareness to defy them and do whatever we want, and if you ask me that's fucking inspiring."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa listened along, following the general meaning if not the particulars. Molecules, she understood, were microscopic particles from which matter was composed. The idea that their replication was a microcosm of mundane reproduction was intuitive enough. And despite magic and souls absolutely existing, she knew Dave's scientific acumen applied in his world at least. The principle of replication leading to optimal replication, and then ultimately to voluntary sterility... It felt rather like a cosmic joke. And yet...

"I dunno, seems like you ended up with kids aplenty anyway," she joked. "In all seriousness, I guess once organisms are so complex as to be social, ain't culture an' civilisation part of that replication process? And as such, ain't contributing to the survival of other folks, some of which'll be breedin' pairs, part of that replication?"

She was being cheeky, yes, but it was the best way for her to contribute. And she was interested in whether he'd agree or not.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Oh, sure. Altruism evolved because it's advantageous for our genes, too. But we don't care, because it just made us care about other people, and we don't give a fuck that from the gene's hypothetical point of view the point of all that was ultimately to propagate itself. We just do that stuff for its own sake, and extend the principles to shit that doesn't benefit the gene at all. Where I live population growth is slowing to a crawl or even reversing in developed countries, because people'd rather go do something fulfilling with their lives than pump out as many kids as possible. Our DNA'd be screaming, if it weren't just dumb molecules obeying the laws of physics."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa chuckled. "Maybe a shrinkin' population is better fer the long term survivability of life, if perpetuation matters more'n propagation. Wouldn't wanna grow yer numbers past what the world can tolerate."

It was like a game, almost. But she should concede the cosmic joke, at least.

"I get what y'mean, though. The processes are dead cause an' effect, and consciousness ain't beholden to the particles what comprise it. It's a hell of a bit of irony."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Ah, but," Dave said, lifting a paw, "see, your genes don't give a shit about the long-term survivability of life. They can't plan for the future. Your genes can make you overspecialize until you're wiped out by the slightest sneeze of a natural disaster, or cause regular overpopulation booms that end in famine and death. Molecules and physics don't care."

He looked at Brisa again, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "In a sense, yeah, being smart continues to propagate our genes. We're unlikely to cause our own extinction, and meanwhile it's probably stopping other kinds of possible disasters, sure. But point is from a bunch of jiggling particles you get infinitely evolving complexity and end up with billions of people making choices that go actively counter to the evolutionary drives that made them. I think that's fucking beautiful."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa smiled. "No idea what Fugu'd say 'bout all that, but I fer one feel fuckin' inspired." She shrugged. "Me only likin' gals is spitin' a bunch of infinitely complex arrangements of self-replicatin' particles. I like that."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave grinned. "That's the spirit. Spite the fuckers."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa chuckled, and in an impulse of affection – and happiness at Dave actually grinning for once – leaned over and got the mightyena in a bear hug.

A flicker of Radiance sprung from her pawpads. I love you, Dad.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Suddenly Brisa was throwing her arms around him. Not the reaction he'd expected to 'Spite the fuckers.'

"Love you too, kitten," he said, muffled by her mane. There was a warm, pleasant glow of Radiance spreading from her paws, her arms tight around him, and after a moment he raised his free paw and wrapped it around her too, pulling her closer.

It came out of fucking nowhere, a weird tickle in his throat and then sudden, pathetic, shuddering sobs that broke through every effort to restrain them. He gritted his teeth, paw digging into Brisa's back, and struggled to get it back under control. Fuck, fuck, why, why now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom