• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Mystery Continent ~ Northern Pines

Status
Not open for further replies.
R13 - Oh Deer...? (Koa & Xernatus)
  • Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. swampert
    3. ho-oh
    4. crobat
    5. orbeetle
    6. joltik
    7. salandit
    8. tyrantrum
    Koa picked his way through the pine trees, a faint chill nipping at his fur. After some searching, and a little bit of sniffing around, he'd finally managed to figure out that the... well, he didn't want to call it a thing, exactly. Xernatus seemed nicer (and cooler).

Xernatus was out here somewhere. Talking to it seemed like the best way to help the team, not to mention...

Well aside from being seemingly crazed with corruption at the tree and that creepy display curling around Diyem (that still made him shudder) Xernatus seemed almost .... interesting. He was curious about them.

"Xerneas?" he called tentatively as he walked. "Can you talk?"

R14 - Myles’ Identity
  • TheGOAT

🗿
    Pronouns
    Him/his
    Partners
    1. serperior
    2. alolatales-goat
    “Honest with myself,” Astrid scoffed. “What do you mean by that?”

Myles skipped a rock twice as far as her last one. “I dunno.”

Rolling clouds absorbed the pinks and oranges from the beginnings of a sunset. It reflected off of the lakewater across from them, disrupted by Astrid’s next throw. There was little else to distract them out here, surrounded by an endless forest of craters and trees. Mostly trees. Mostly nothing of note. Appropriate, because their conversation had taken a similar pointless course right up until Myles’ question.

The rock bounced once, twice, then a final time. Then, silence for a little while.

“…And what about you?” Astrid finally said, still unimpressed with her throw.

“Mm?”

“How honest have you been with yourself? If you’re gonna be asking me that, y’know,” she said, hesitating. This was uncharted territory for both of them. “I mean, just… who are you? You’re not my brother, you’re, um, you’re—god, I feel like I know you even worse than I knew him. But we’re attached at the hip, and you’re an ally, not an enemy. It’s just weird.”

Myles listened intently to the strange confession. Just weird, huh. Okay.

There was something there to latch onto, and Myles wasn’t going to pass it up. Getting this girl to speak in a straight line was hard enough sometimes.

He licked his dry lips and said, “You feel like you didn’t know him, you say?”

“Yes.”

“Then why do I look like this?”

“What?”

“Why am I him, without, according to you, actually being him? Shit don’t make sense.”

Taken back, she answered lamely, “Because, um, I… still think about him a lot. Even as his face and his voice has gotten blurry and impossible to recognize, I still hold onto hope that things can be better. Someday. Maybe.” She feigned a shrug. Another rock in the water. More visible disappointment.

Her familiar’s face turned to iron. “Hope?”

Astrid met his gaze, unsteady. “Yeah… hope. For our family. I mean, mom and d—erm, my parents, they’re sort of… ohh. I don’t know about them.” She looked away. “They’d probably hate me for running away.”

‘And proving them wrong.’ Maybe Astrid didn’t mean to project that at him, but whatever. Happened all the time. Myles was certain he heard more than she realized, and definitely more than she’d be comfortable with. There was always that urge to say something, and there was always that urge to say nothing at all…

“…But yes. I have hope for Myles still.”

“Do you now?”

“Yeah.”

In spite of the edge in her eyes, her mouth ticked upwards at some blurry memory of him. She really missed him, or at least, she missed the memories. Missed the idea of having those memories. Missed having family close instead of far, as she seemed to view it. She wasn’t addressing the Myles before her, of course, who couldn’t make any more sense of those memories than she could, even as he experienced them in spikes every time she fell into a stupor. Even as he discovered more of what was hidden than she could, for whatever fucking reason, he could not make sense of it. Could not accept his origins, as if being aware of it made it any fucking better.

If she was more perceptive, she might’ve noticed the glint in his eye that had formed. But, ah. Astrid’s brother, wherever and whoever he was, was real; Myles was simple mimicry, borne of an abundance of energies and different parents entirely. Something else. Someone else. Astrid’s brother hadn’t been seen in years, and he was right here, but he would never be her brother, and that was what mattered.

Her hope was never meant for him.

“What do you think I should do?” Astrid earnestly asked him, pulling him back to reality.

Now it was his turn to be taken aback. “Huh? You mean, about… ah. Hmph.” Was she asking because he was the closest thing to her brother she could talk to right now? “Why ask me? I ain’t a family guy, or based on one, so. Yeah, sorry, not my lane.”

“Because you’re the closest thing to my brother that I can talk to right now,” Astrid said candidly. Myles twitched his nose, annoyed for once at how attuned their minds were—but could not bring himself to feel disappointed when he saw such softness and desperation in her stupid gleaming eyes. What was with this girl and her… bizarre emotions? Sometimes he wondered if he was really the biggest alien between the two of them.

In the end, Myles shrugged. “I’m just me, y’know? Closest thing? Sure, okay. You want my advice, so here’s what I got.” Vulpix to Ninetales, familiar to host, he stared her in the face and said, “Run and don’t look back. Find a way to incorporate those rocket booster paws of yours into my metaphor about running because you cannot possibly get away fast enough. I’ve spotted more red flags about this ‘family’ of yours than I saw at the Colosseum the other day when they were putting up banners for that gross Fire tournament going on.”

They stared at one another.

“Run?” Astrid whispered. “I can’t just give up, right? I mean, I know it’s a long shot, but hrmm.” She turned away and frowned. “It might take years. They might be gone forever, I don’t know. But they’re family and I think I should try for that reason alone. If I fail, well…”

“Red flags,” Myles repeated.

“There are plenty of red flags about my fighting style,” Astrid countered a little darkly. “Haven’t you encouraged it the whole way? Even when my friends didn’t?”

He flinched, then quickly adjusted. “Yeah, well, that’s different.”

“Is it?”

God. When had she grown so assertive?

More importantly, where had he gained the notion that she shouldn’t be by default?

“Yeah. It’s different because you found a way to control yourself before you got killed. Adapt or die. You can’t adapt your family to shit, Astrid. They gotta decide what they care about for themselves, and if your memories are any indication…”

“I don’t think it’s that—“

“Well it is that simple sometimes,” Myles cut her off. “Sometimes hope is misplaced.”

“Misplaced?”

“Mis-fucking-placed.”

Another rock skipped across the pond.

“We’ll see.”

No we won’t, Myles thought to himself, but you might.

It was clear to him what this exchange was, because indeed, he considered himself a master at reading terse situations like this. Perhaps that carried over from the bastard he was designed from; he didn’t give a fuck. This was borne from mutual exhaustion for the most part, compounded of course by the circumstances that Cibus continued to deliver them. Astrid clearly wasn’t over the trauma from seeing her friends pseudo-die, and it had affected things between them. Bursts of tension gave way to periods of neutrality and even softness, as it always had between them.

Wasn’t that what actual siblings did?

I’m not your goddamn brother.

I’m not your goddamn brother.

A deep silence lingered between them. All was familiar.

And as always, they both harbored feelings of misgiving for the real Myles, wherever and whoever he was indeed. Did it matter? He might’ve forgotten about Astrid by now, fake Myles reasoned. It had been years; there were plenty of other kits at the time, and not all of them made it. Stupid memories lingered that weren’t his, yet were. He—the real Myles—might have a family by now, which wasn’t uncommon in those tribes. Adapt and survive. Commit to the Way of Life, or you might as well be dead. Adapt and survive. A horrifying thought crossed his mind: he was created by those very words, that very principle. One of the freshest memories forced upon him was telling Astrid those very words, spoken right from his mouth…

Yes, he was starting to remember all of it. It was becoming less blurry the more he dug. The more he did, the larger his hatred grew.

He looked at Astrid; she was staring off into space, probably busying herself thinking about random shit. Were those memories clearing up for her, too? Because he could feel her frustration, and it was nothing quite like his. There was confusion there. Something clearly wasn’t clicking.

She picked up another rock and threw it. The look on her face as it released from her paw said it all.

Plink—plink—plop!

“Ugh, damn.”

Yeah. Astrid didn’t swear out loud often, unless she was fighting, drunk, or especially distressed.

Tense and suddenly uncomfortable where he sat, Myles stared into the water, stared at her reflection, and pondered that disconnect further.

Not your goddamn brother…

<><><>

Last edited:
    R16 ~ Dragons of Light
  • Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
    Staff
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. charizard
    3. milotic
    4. zoroark-soda
    5. sceptile
    6. marowak
    7. jirachi
    Through one way or another, Owen had convinced, or at least made Bahamut impassive to, having a guest for their next meditation together. Thankfully, it was not that hard of a sell, because while he was brighter and more upbeat in general than the Owen Bahamut knew, it was still Owen--and therefore, he probably knew a thing or two about meditation etiquette.

By the time it was over, the two Owens both opened their eyes nearly in sync. Wind-ups afterward went the same, with the pair performing nearly identical stretching exercises despite their difference in size.

"Thanks for letting me come along," Miracle said to Bahamut. "I didn't want to impose too much... but it's still just, um, me with you."

"I think you did great!" Spectrum replied.

R16 ~ Candlelit Dragon Consultation
  • Fusion

Oh knee on
    Pronouns
    Him/His
    Partners
    1. zoroark
    "Uhhggg..."

Vix grumbled to herself, sitting in the middle of the woods. It was hard to tell if she was meditating or sulking, but the frown on her face and the groans she made pointed to the latter. Her body was physically... well, she was pretty much back to normal on that end. Perhaps a tiny bit melty to the touch, but all in all, she was physically fine. In fact, she was able to go out and chat with a few people, and that certainly started to make her feel better...

Although there was one person she wanted to visit, yet there was this... cloudy haze over her mind whenever she thought of him. It was like when she was trying to remember Kane's memories, and so, one quick text to the local dragon with a memory horde to see if there was anything they could do about this.

While she waited, Vix thought that meditating would help someone, but obviously... it wasn't going well.

[RD16] The Monkey and the Bat Went Hunting (Rocky and Echo)
  • Negrek

Play the Rain
    Staff
    The Northern Pines were still unusually damp, and the ground was covered in debris that had been washed into the forest when water levels rose. Stuff from Destiny Village itself, even--Rocky spotted some random silverware, a garbage can, and painted boards that were surely the siding from someone's house. There was still a lot of work to be done getting everything cleaned up.

Still, it was a lovely spring day despite the damp, warm and bright and filled with wildflowers in bloom. The woods' wild pokémon had mostly returned by now, and there were bound to be plenty of them around, enjoying the sunshine. The perfect one was bound to be around here somewhere.

"Thanks for coming with me," Rocky said to Echo. "This is going to be really easy with your super hearing to help out!"

R16 ~ Lucius & Bahamut
  • Soniclink137

Bug Catcher
    Pronouns
    him/his
    Lucius shivered as he walked through the snow covered pines, glancing around the area. The chill in the air made him wish that he was able to keep his vest in this world, even though it wouldn't really fit his Lopunny body anymore. His previous fluff would also be nice as well. Still, he plowed on through, enjoying the view of the place at least. He kept going, just walking mindlessly, at least until something caught his view. A strange blackness in the large white and green area. Curious, he approached until he saw Bahamut. Lucius felt...almost overwhelmed as he looked at the Legendary, but he figured, since he was passing by, might as well try and make polite conversation. So he approached.

"H-hi there," Lucius greeted. "Your one of Team Spectrum, right? Uhh..." Lucius scratched his ear. "...Sorry. I'm still...not the best at names."

[RD16] Misplaced Darkness (Nate, Rocky, and Maple)
  • Negrek

Play the Rain
    Staff
    Nate had hoped he'd be able to shake Rocky once they'd gotten out of sight of town, when he could distract the guy with some wild pokémon or something and try to sneak off for a little bit on his own. No luck so far, though; the familiar had cheerfully rejected all his suggestions for far-off activities he could be doing and failed to chase after any of the interesting things he'd pointed out. Even if he could get Rocky to leave, of course, Nate wouldn't be able to keep away from him for long. Real fucking inconvenient that the guy had his psychic homing thing or whatever.

At least it was a nice enough day in the woods. Warm. Dry. Nate was about ready to give up and find somewhere to sit, convince Rocky to be quiet a few minutes, when he caught sight of something--someone?--that seemed out of place in the pines. Was that... Maple?

R17 - AWOOO [Koa/Ben]
  • Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. swampert
    3. ho-oh
    4. crobat
    5. orbeetle
    6. joltik
    7. salandit
    8. tyrantrum
    Koa loped along through the woods, enjoying the atmosphere. He'd been trying his best to visit all the sights of Cibus he could, since it'd be the last time he'd see them, probably.

Of course, he wasn't sure what difference it would make if he'd just forget it all, but it was still fun.

EPILOGUE - Dave & Soda & Flesh
  • Dragonfree

Staff
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Partners
    1. butterfree
    2. mightyena
    3. charizard
    4. scyther-mia
    5. vulpix
    6. slugma
    Dave'd texted Soda about whether they were at home (new badge, same ID, apparently). Instead, Soda had told him they were at the Northern Pines. Presumably Flesh was munching on some trees, or whatever.

He padded cautiously through the snow, listening for any sign of them. Place was cold. Could Soda even fucking feel cold anymore? Didn't the ghost Zoroark live in frozen tundras? Hell, maybe he'd just move out here. (On the other hand, his spooky mansion home was in a way more appropriate now, wasn't it.)

R16 ~ Why Are We Here
  • ExplosiveTurkey

gib bludoge pls
    Pronouns
    him/his
    (Set sometime before the Colosseum fight between Team Spectrum and Miracle Matters)

Crunch.

Crunch.

Crunch.

Despite the lucario's soft footfalls, the snow couldn't help but pierce the deafening silence of the woods.

The sharp fragrance of pine, the bitter chill in the air, and the overwhelming sense of solitude — once a nostalgic memory, now returned to reality, and Aria wasn't sure how to feel about it. She gazed into the distance, wondering if a certain pond existed in this world as well, but she didn't intend on checking. Not when it risked tarnishing her final memory of the place.

Still, it was nice to be alone with her thoughts for once. Any time she was around her peers, her affinity with the Blacklight meant its quiet whispers intruded upon her mind without fail. She'd grown accustomed to it in the past, but a while had passed since then, which meant the current seclusion was a welcome—

'You sure about that?'

Aria blinked, feeling the familiar warmth of radiance poking at her head. How long had she failed to notice that?

In an instant, she was off, racing through the trees towards the source... and to her dismay, it was getting stronger. Fast.

"...Ah fuck," she muttered under her breath, and as if on cue, a distant explosion shattered the serene atmosphere, like a brick against glass.

Aria doubled her pace, not bothering to try and identify the culprit with her aura. There was no need, or so she thought. Before long, she burst through the trees into ground zero, an artificial clearing of charred ground and smoking trees. In the middle, the pokemon responsible.

"Dammit, Sa— I mean, wait... who the fuck are you?"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom