• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Mystery Continent ~ Northern Pines

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa followed Astrid's gaze. The training was working, evidently.

"Well you're sure makin' a success of yer self-detonin' stratagem," she drawled. "What I don't understand is why y'got such a need to escape. Before th'fight with Joule, I thought things were pretty damn good. Was lookin' forward to celebratin' with ya, after."

Then y'fuckin' died, didn'tcha? How d'you think Astrid dealt with that, huh?

"How come I couldn't get ahold of ya once I came back?" asked Brisa, voice cracking halfway. "It weren't fer want of tryin', Astrid. I just wanted t'see you again."

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
“You didn’t exactly make it easy, did you?”

Her chest was going to explode. The walls couldn’t hold her thumping heart. With how quickly she’d spun around on Brisa, she’d surprised even herself.

And then it was over, just as quickly. Her knees faltered. “…Fuck. Sorry, I j—I barely even know what’s real anymore. It isn’t that I didn’t want to see you, or…”

How long had it been?

Since she’d been coming out here?

Astrid shook her head once, hard, and continued. “Out here, I don’t have to worry about what I will and won’t remember. Before or after, y’know, all this.” She stood as as firm as she could. “I like it. I-I practically live out here now. It’s, it’s…”

Her fur got in her eyes as she sought validation from the terrain. She was still standing in a crater that she’d created. Splinters of wood had been cast in every direction like bullets. Snow dotted the pulverized wood where it would stick.

“…peaceful.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa sucked cold air through her teeth. She knew Astrid had become reclusive to the team in general, but this...?

"Yer havin' memory problems?" she asked, the anger vanished from her voice. "Or like . . . hallucinations? What kinda shit d'you mean?"

Astrid didn't seem all there as she stared at her handiwork, not so much as blinking against the weather. She was still beautiful, but Brisa slowly found herself unable to see that past the emotional, psychological and physical wounding becoming evident in front of her. She wished it was so simple an injury as a fracture she could detect with her empowered vision, but this was something for which she could need professional help, if she'd even take it and it wasn't too late...

"'Cause we gotta talk about that," she pressed, feeling a kind of hollow in her chest where an emotion ought to be, but she dreaded to let herself feel.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
It was the notion that she’d forgotten something on her bedside every morning that had first started to bug Astrid. Sometimes drifting off, forgetting where she was walking and having to reroute was part of who she was—always had been—but wasn’t it happening more frequently? Wasn’t it? Or was that just a… a ‘hallucination’?

She wasn’t sure. Spite built up in her chest directed at such a notion, that she was becoming, what, senile? But she couldn’t dismiss everything. She couldn’t remember quite well enough to say for certain. Ughhh.

Across the clearing from her, she needed no memory at all to recognize the health of her visitor. They’d both pushed their bodies to the brink more than they could count. Brisa had died, after all. Somehow, Astrid couldn’t say the same. But Brisa stood so strong in spite of it. She couldn’t say the same about that either, could she? Could she?

“My body is fine,” she finally admitted in a whisper, just barely disturbing the frozen silence. “Nothing I do to it will matter soon because I’m going to lose it. And you’re going to lose yours and we’ll never see each other again. And, and, that was the deal. So…”

So… what? She turned away. Everything she was saying was true, yet so, so wrong. Her throat clenched and a tear—no, she wiped it away just as quickly. Yet her throat only clenched harder.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa swallowed hard. So this was about the dying. One way or another.

"This is no way t'spend yer days, temporary circumstance or not," she said, feeling like she was treading on ice, both figurative and actual. "We don't know how much time we got left, and we oughtn’t to waste it. And Astrid..."

She took a few more steps forward.

"Any sufferin' like this is far more'n you could ever deserve."

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid frowned at the snow, upset. “You were caught in the blast once,” she mused—

A desperate reaching out for a person in pain. A savage series of attacks on the abomination leeching off of her. A brilliant explosion of radiance that sent her spinning into unconsciousness, and a softer light as her reviver seed restored her.

—“so you know exactly how much it hurts. Well, fine, I admit it. It hurts. And it works in battle all the same. I’m not as strong as you, or, or Starr or Owen so… I do what I have to! It—it works! It makes me feel like I belong! Why doesn’t anyone—”

She cut herself off in frustration. How far would this take her, trying to convince Brisa, convince herself that this was right? The pines were peppered with craters; that was her imprint on the world, the only sign she was ever here. She left her imprint in battle too, but those were always quick, never giving her time to think and feel. Out here, she’d built herself and broken herself day-in and day-out, away from prying eyes and longing hearts and every other concerned gesture she’d begun shutting out of her mind.

Out here, she felt everything.

“…What do you mean you love me?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa had been ready to try, desperately, to speak on Astrid's pain, on her strength, on her belonging. Then, that question. Other thoughts fell, with the snow, into blankness. ...So, Astrid had heard her. And perhaps having heard it had been a reason, in part, for all this. Or at least it had not forestalled it.

"You askin' why?" she said, quietly. "Or what this feelin' is, that I've been holdin' on to? Or what I want?"

It was no easy thing to answer either way, and Astrid had to know that. But she had to answer. And she could only tell the truth.

"Astrid, you're the rare kinda gal I always wanna be around. Someone I can think the best of while feelin' she thinks the best of me. I wanted t'be better'n I am 'cause of the way you looked at me back then. You're kind, you're brave, you're a spectacular fighter... I really thought we could take on anythin' t'gether."

She felt like she had that evening at the park with Astrid, chest filling to the point it might burst. She felt like she had as she'd looked down from that sphere of pure Blacklight, tearing apart, body and heart. Brisa couldn't see into Astrid's heart – she could barely see Astrid amidst the snow, without luxray vision – but she could show Astrid what was in her own.

"I want what I always wanted," she said, firmly. The whiplash was slow in the air, easy for a seasoned fighter like Astrid to dodge, if she chose to. "More time with you."

I've missed you. And I don't believe you ain't missed me. So whatever it is that's shacklin' ya... Let me help you free of it. So we can be friends and partners like before. It don't matter none if you feel somethin' else. I just want things right between us. Please.

Last edited:

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
But that word. Love. Love. Someone loved her. No. She didn’t understand it. Astrid only understood wanting to be around someone, seeing the best in them, complimenting them, validating them, taking on anything with them, and, and… and…

Is that what love is?

Something vile swirled inside her. Does it even matter if our time is so limited?

Fear gripped her stomach, immobilizing her, making the surrounding cold feel foreign and uncomfortable. She didn’t know the answer to that. She didn’t know what mattered because she’d already thrown everything to the wind. The answered that—it wasn’t hers to determine alone. So her chin lifted towards the only person capable of giving her one.

“I-I want more time with you too, Brisa. That’s all, that’s all I…” But it was clear that talking more would be pointless. She was already choking up, dammit. Instead, she extended an open paw to grip the Whiplash and embrace the pleasant jolt. It was like holding paws with Brisa, yet somehow more intimate than that. Astrid closed her eyes.

I trust you.

I…

I don’t want to say goodbye.

So please…

Help me understand why.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Whiplash was mostly unilateral. It conveyed Brisa's feelings, Brisa's thoughts, to her target. But there was always a little backwash in there too... An insight into the heart she was opening herself to. And right now that strange intuition told her that Astrid was, more than anything, scared... Not just scared, but . . . lost. How did you come back from throwing yourself into this?

There had to be a way back, though. Astrid deserved better than this. Brisa would help her find it.

Then Astrid took hold of the tether. Nobody had ever done that. But then, Astrid's Radiance was so often influenced by the Radiance around her somehow, wasn't it? Why wouldn't she be the first?

I trust you, came the uninhibited feeling from inside Astrid. Brisa's heart jolted in her chest. ...Okay. Even now...? She stepped forward, keeping the cables of light taut as she approached. It was the nearest she'd been to Astrid since she'd died. She hoped it wouldn't be the last time.

I don't wanna say goodbye either. Maybe we'll have to, maybe we'll find some way not to. But 'til then, we can be like this...

...or we can be near each other. Supportin' each other, like we shoulda been doin' all this time. I know what I want, Astrid.

I wanna have what time with you I can get, even if it's at a price.

And I want you t'be brave enough to choose that too.

Last edited:

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid kept her paw loose, never gripping too hard. With each surge of Radiance that flowed through her, she injected some of her own. But the Whiplash—it had grown shorter. Suddenly Brisa was only a meter away.

Brisa said:
I know what I want, Astrid

You’ll… support me?

It wasn’t a plea. Astrid’s mouth set in a hard line as she glanced around her. A sigh followed.

…You’re indescribable, Brisa. You’re so great, so much greater than this. Crawling out here to find me, deep in the frozen forest, after freaking everything. You’re a hero with plenty to live for, and I’m some girl who’s in over her head. That’s…

That’s what she believed? Or was it the Blacklight? Another burst of Inspired energy coursed through their tether. Her mind told her no. Her heart told her no, that there was more to her worth than that. Her paw was starting to burn pleasantly against the freeze.

I don’t understand love. O-or know what I feel. But… I know how to trust you! I want to be brave! And…

The luxray looked exhausted. Astrid was no different. Indeed, their bodies had taken many beatings. Perhaps… they could take just a bit more yet.

“I want to show you first.” The snow seemed to falter just a bit, and overall, not much had fallen. Her voice cut right through the thinning air. No, Astrid decided with conviction, not here, it couldn’t be here, never again. “At the colosseum or somewhere open…” she continued, “I want to show you what I can do with my Radiance. My Shadows. It’s more than just explode.”

She was still holding on. Because I need to earn that trust first. Because I want to feel the same things before it’s too late…

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"I don't plan on givin' up on you," said Brisa, her spoken words matching the Radiance-soaked feelings passing along her whiplash. "Of course I wanna see you at yer best. I've never believed that detonin' with light is the most y'can do. You're far more remarkable than that."

Brisa closed the rest of the distance until the tether between their paws was scarcely any length at all.

"Come back with me, and I'll let you show me everythin' you've got. Knowin' you, you'll blow me away, Astrid."

The thought sent a thrill up her spine, and that anticipation, that eagerness, passed across the tether with the rest of her feelings. Astrid would feel it too – I can't wait fer you t'make me proud.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid noticed it too—the distance between their paws closing in. But it wouldn’t last. A wayward spark, the slightest imbalance, forced her to let go and smile innocently before they could touch, right through her fear, right through her aching heart. But Brisa was smiling back, and her smile betrayed feelings deeper that Astrid wanted to explore. It would be fine. Not perfect and not easy, but fine. And, she decided, maybe that was okay. Maybe these temporary moments meant more to her than to the person she’d become once more when their work was done.

“Thank you for chasing me to this place. And… um, I’m sorry you had to. I’m sorry you had to find me like this too.” The snow had picked up again, just a bit. It had only been a lull. It wouldn’t keep her spirits down though. This was good. This was good. “…Aha, I bet you’re freezing. Let’s get outta here, mm Brisa? I’ve seen enough pine trees for a whole friggin’ lifetime.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded, grinning. "Yeah, s'fuckin' cold out here, ain't it."

She turned to head off, looking back over her shoulder at her friend – Astrid, her friend – as she came along too.

"I'm sorry too," she said, softly. "But if it ain't okay now, it's gonna be okay real soon."

She really did believe that. The snow was whipping up, but the journey home wouldn't be half as hard as the journey to find Astrid.

"C'mon. Let's go get warm, and talk match schedulin'. I've been lookin' fer someone strong enough t'help take on a Legendary."

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
She was starting to feel warm already, but Brisa was correct. ‘S fuckin’ cold indeed. Boy, she’d missed hearing that drawl…

Her tails lashed with excitement. “I’d be thrilled to!” she said. “Prooobably better to test our mettle there than, um, here. Yeah, definitely.”

They needed to get back to town soon. Astrid had barely stopped to acknowledge the shit that had fallen apart in the past day or so, let alone check on her teammates. Good thing Brisa had checked on her.

She looks so happy…

Astrid pocketed her lingering thoughts and wore a great big smile of her own. Barely, just barely, one of her tails would brush against Brisa’s from time to time as they walked in tandem.

<><><><><>

Last edited:
R13 - Oh Deer...? (Koa & Xernatus)

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa picked his way through the pine trees, a faint chill nipping at his fur. After some searching, and a little bit of sniffing around, he'd finally managed to figure out that the... well, he didn't want to call it a thing, exactly. Xernatus seemed nicer (and cooler).

Xernatus was out here somewhere. Talking to it seemed like the best way to help the team, not to mention...

Well aside from being seemingly crazed with corruption at the tree and that creepy display curling around Diyem (that still made him shudder) Xernatus seemed almost .... interesting. He was curious about them.

"Xerneas?" he called tentatively as he walked. "Can you talk?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Go away!"

A beam of red energy crackled through the air and vaporized the snow in a thin path, but it didn't feel all that strong compared to what Koa had dealt with in the past. It also completely gave away where it was--hiding in the gloom of a particularly thick part of the forest.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa nearly jumped out of his skin at the attack, the beam missing his nose by mere centimeters. He flinched back and whirled to face the direction of the beam.

He prowled closer, now on alert. He wasn't sure if Xernatus was upset or angry or what was going on. Were they corrupted again? Maybe this was a bad idea...

"...I don't want to fight you," Koa called hesitantly as he approached the shadowy area where they seemed to be hiding. "I came to check on you," he kept his voice low, hoping to sound non-threatening.

Maybe he should have sent Echo out here instead... He was better at being diplomatic. Or Brisa, or literally anyone but himself.

No going back now.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Oh yeah? Check on me? See how I'm doing? Yeah, right!" Another wayward beam carved more wet snow into nothing but vapor.

"You're just like all the others. Just like that dumb Decidueye or that overgrown Charizard. Go away! You're just here to mock me!"

It was a sorry sight. Xernatus was coiled around a small tree and covered in fallen snow and damp leaves, partially camouflaged. Whatever bones it had, they were either broken or bent to contort that body around the tree. Its head was hidden away, emerging only to yell at Koa when he got closer.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa flinched to the side as the beam tore by him. Ahead, in the gloom, he could just make out the shape of Xernatus, coiled around the tree in a rather horrific manner.

There was anger in their tone but it wasn't just mad, they were upset. Sad.

"I don't want to mock you." Koa paused a few yards away, enough to give him time to dodge if they tried to attack again. His heart was still racing, but he forced himself to stay calm. "Besides... I-" maybe it was too early to say that he kinda thought they looked cool, aside from the curling around trees and breaking their bones part. Was that even healthy?

"I don't think there's anything to mock. I just wanted to talk to you I guess."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom