• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Main Hall - Cotton Down Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I'd love to introduce you to them!" Gen said, smiling brightly.

"I started my journey a month ago, on Route 120!" Coleane said with a flap of her wings.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Yeppers! I woke up in one when I first came to the human world!" Coleane said!

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"It's where I woke up when I was summoned to the human world!" Coleane explained.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I came from... I'm not sure what it's called, but I come from a world of only Pokemon!" Coleane said.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I don't think so. I've never heard of Hoenn until I came to the human world, and I haven't ever met anyone else named Coleane," the Tropius said.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Yep! Lots and lots of them!" Coleane said.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
("Well that's fascinating!") A bit of worry struck Victoria. ("Are you... are you okay? You woke up in a Secret Base? What happened?")

Wallace's mind had wandered from the conversation to the poetry book he had picked up. He decided to actually read it instead of just staring at it.

[[ @Flyg0n ]]

The book itself seemed old and well cared for, a leather-like cover and a collection of various poems ranging from the weather to tales of ancient heroes and far off lands.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

~Unknown

Actually credit, obviously, is JRR Tolkien, that madlad. just so no one thinks I wrote this, just added it for flavor.

Last edited:
Day 5: A Stone's Throw (Violet/Hazel & Steven)

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
While there was a bit of a ruckus downstairs last night, the lack of messages on Hazel's phone and the loud music they heard on the first evening led Violet and Hazel to believe that it was just the other guests making some noise. They had even taken a moment to check the hallways downstairs, but didn't identify any unusual sights or scents. Sleep that night came and went like a Ninjask soaring through the skies.

It seemed that for all the running around that everyone had been doing, they were turning up very little in terms of evidence. Violet made an off-hand remark that a crafty criminal knows how to keep their traces as hidden and elusive as the once fabled King of Bountiful Harvests. At this comment, they paused, gave each other a knowing look, and headed straight for the Cotton Down Lounge. If their culprit was as unknown as a myth, then perhaps it would take a mythical Pokémon to uncover them.

The two poured through cover after cover of the books at the lounge, hoping to find whatever information they could about the mythical Pokémon on the island: what powers they had, any possible clues on their whereabouts, and just how Klefki could have possibly come to know them. They already knew what they needed to about Manaphy, but what about Jirachi — the one that Xavian was trying to summon yesterday? Were there any among them that could find traces that they could not? ...Could one of them potentially be in collusion with the kidnapper?

Violet suggested that they could inform the group to be on the lookout for a potential list of mythical Pokémon. The two continued flip through the pages of any books that appeared relevant with feverish hunger.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
When Steven awoke that morning slumped against his dorm room door aching and sore, and there was still no sign of Aggron, the dagger of shame drove itself into him anew. Standing in the Main Hall listening to Xavian's address alone simply twisted it deeper.

He deliberately stayed to the back of the group to avoid notice, but was almost certain he could hear whispers, feel sideways glances thrown his way. There was no hiding Aggron's absence at his side.

He'd snuck a look into the garden to confirm his partner was at least still there and safe before he left the room. But the second he caught a glimpse of silver armor, he retreated, and ended up in the Main Hall after being ushered there immediately upon leaving the dorms. He swallowed the thin hope that Aggron would choose to join them later of his own volition. (He didn't.)

Now, as the group filtered out of the Main Hall, a new knot of guilt weighed him down. No one had gone missing since yesterday, yet he stood there at the back of the now-empty hall, the only person privy to the knowledge that someone should have.

He couldn't stay here, and as he shuffled listlessly toward the exit, his gaze slid over to the lounge where two people were engaged in hushed, yet enthusiastic conversation. His heart skipped a beat as his fatigue-hazed mind said they were whispering about him-- they somehow knew-- but when he rubbed his eyes and saw who it was, his fears were quashed. A little bit, anyway.

Violet and Hazel, the duo he'd met in the caverns the other day.

And then, as he watched them carry on, musing over a book, the guilt bubbled back up. They needed to know. He had to tell someone. Someone who could tell the rest of their group from the boat. Because he sure as hell couldn't do it. (Gods he couldn't even apologize to his own partner for being so incompetent...)

He was standing in front of where Violet and Hazel were sitting before he realized he'd even walked over.

worried.png
"Good morning Violet, Hazel," he said, unable to even muster a smile. "There's... I need your help with something, if that's okay."

"I need... Something happened last night that you, that the group, needs to know."

He swallowed thickly. They were staring at him now. Why was this so difficult?

eyes closed pensive.png
"What Mr. Montorzi said this morning is true, no one was taken from us between last night and this morning. But... there was another attack."

Last edited:

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
"Good morning Violet, Hazel," he said, unable to even muster a smile. "There's... I need your help with something, if that's okay."

"I need... Something happened last night that you, that the group, needs to know."

He swallowed thickly. They were staring at him now. Why was this so difficult?

"What Mr. Montorzi said this morning is true, no one was taken from us between last night and this morning. But... there was an attack."
"Hm? Oh, Steven, was it not? Good morrow," Violet replied, looking up at the man with a curious gaze. Were those bags underneath his eyes there yesterday? His expression was far more somber than in the caverns, and his posture was far less poised than before. She took a few more blinks as she observed the man's disheveled features.

That's when her eyes noticed to what was behind him, or at least, what wasn't behind him — his partner. Her brows furrowed as her expression turned serious. "Were you the one who was attacked?" She asked, voice hushed to keep any eavesdroppers from listening in.

Hazel beamed when she saw that the champion had approached them, welcomed them, saw them as companions! It was a dream come true! The only way it could be better was if Cynthia herself had made an appearance... though Hazel wasn't sure if she would be okay with that, considering the circumstances.

She shook her head to swat away the fantasies, yet still giving the man a smile before her expression plummeted like a Wooloo down a mountain as she heard both his and Violet's words. There was an attack?! Her eyes widened as she yanked her phone out as quickly as possible and typed.

[Where's Aggron??? What's going on??]

Her eyes pleaded with concern as they looked over the man's clearly exhausted face. There was no way someone as experienced as him would go out at night alone, right? And besides, with Aggron with him, there was no way he could lose! ...Right?!

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
That's when her eyes noticed to what was behind him, or at least, what wasn't behind him — his partner. Her brows furrowed as her expression turned serious. "Were you the one who was attacked?" She asked, voice hushed to keep any eavesdroppers from listening in.
Steven's heart dropped into his stomach. Gods she'd known; Violet knew right away. The second he'd opened his mouth. How pathetic he must have looked. He tried to say something in reply, but his throat wouldn't cooperate--

Her eyes widened as she yanked her phone out as quickly as possible and typed.

[Where's Aggron??? What's going on??]

Her eyes pleaded with concern as they looked over the man's clearly exhausted face. There was no way someone as experienced as him would go out at night alone, right? And besides, with Aggron with him, there was no way he could lose! ...Right?!
Hazel's frantic noise grabbed Steven's attention, and his eyes went wide at the message on her phone screen.

Of course. Aggron. He wasn't here, they must have assumed--

worried.png
He shook his head. "I didn't mean to worry you, Hazel. Aggron is... He's fine. Unharmed," he amended. "But yes, I was the one who was attacked."

His head bowed in shame. "Last night, I wanted to investigate something strange at the training arena. The grass-themed field. Hayes said he'd heard someone training there the previous night, but they were gone when he went to see."

"I... I went there last night. Alone. Just Aggron and myself. I couldn't ask Hayes to put himself in danger again. Not after that morning..."

eyes closed pensive.png
"We went to the grassy field, and someone was there. Something. It was too dark to see. And that's when they struck. There was a flash, just like the cove attack. And then... I don't remember much more. Just darkness. Falling into darkness..."

He stared hard at the ground, hands fidgeting anxiously at his sides.

"We woke to Latios and Latias watching over us. They stopped whoever it was from finishing us off, but the culprit fled without a trace."

"We never stood a chance."

neutral straight ahead.png
Suddenly, Steven's resolve hardened and he fixed Violet and Hazel with a earnest stare. "The group, our group from the boat, they need to know what happened. For their safety. I've seen Hazel share information with the rest of us. But..."

And just like that, his energy fizzled, and he was back to feeling hollow again. "Please, can you be discreet? I... I'm okay, but... I don't want to cause any undue concern," he lied.

Too much of a coward to admit you failed.

"The clues are the most important thing. They need to know."

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
Violet nodded her head along as she listened to the man's speech. "I am happy your Pokémon may rest unharmed," she began, pausing as her gaze drilled into his, "However, thou could hath asked any of us for aide in your escapade." She had wanted to say it was arrogant to assume that strength alone would be enough to stay off a like this, but there was a certain level of hypocrisy to that. She vowed she would never become like those at the estate, and she wasn't going to start today.

"Whatever thine reason might hath been, the result is the same: the culprit hath absconded, nearly claiming another as their prize." She closed her eyes and said, "I thank those two saviours for their aide. Latias and Latios... yes, I believe I saw a title on those two, actually." She opened her eyes and gave a soft smile, "Regardless of what might hath been... they hath deemed you worthy of their graces. Do not forget this, Steven." Titles were one thing, but the recognition of two mythical Pokémon was another.

Doubtless that the man already understood the gravity of his folly, yet failed to see the bigger picture opportunity he just created. "This also means we hath two additional witnesses to add, and ones that we can confirm as — at the very least — amicable, if not allied with us."

Violet took a deep bow as she said, "We shall uphold a sworn promise to disseminate this information with discretion. Is that not right, Hazel?"

Hazel, on the other hand, had not been taking the news well. Steven Stone, the Champion of Hoenn... went alone at night, knowing that he might be ambushed, and not only that, but Aggron was thrashed because of it, too?! The Weavile clutched onto her lab coat with her free claw. That made no logical sense; he was the champion: the champion! He was supposed to be one of the strongest trainers the world! How could someone like him be defeated just like that?!

The chirps and mumbles that exited her mouth were indistinct, but the confused anxiety in her voice was palpable. The man in front of her was not Steven Stone, Champion of Hoenn, but someone else entirely — an ingredient in the mixture that changed its composition. Was it poor measurement? Was it hasty methodology? What science could be broken down from this? This wasn't one of her heroes!

The words had flew over her head much like the Latis before her ears snapped back to attention when Violet mentioned their names again. She turned her head, eyes shaking as her trainer spoke more calmly and eloquently than she had seen her since they had arrived to the island. Hazel's eyes once again turned to Steven as she took a few more blinks. Steven Stone was there. It was actually him. Someone who had been exhausted, who had the weight of his actions bearing down upon him — but still him. She gulped as she mentally patted herself on the cheek. He was mortal, too; everyone was prone to mistakes. It wasn't fair of her to have put him on a pedestal like that. Even so, she felt her heart churn as her vision of a shining beacon of Hoenn was met with the reality.

When Violet took her bow, her heart sunk again as guilt from her own judgment weighed on her as well. Hero worship was scientifically proven to be unhealthy. But it was also what kept her so fascinated about science in the first place: her father was her hero, after all — as were the Champions of the Pokémon league. They all endeavored to make humanity and Pokémon bond and live together as well — to bring the best out of each other, in their own ways. Never meet your heroes... right...

After a few moments of contemplation, Hazel took her own bow and murmured the same promise as Violet. Her shaky claw clutched onto her phone as she slowly typed a reply — having to backspace often due to her clammy grip.

[I will let the others know that the noise last night was an attack. I won't specify you were the one who was attacked... just that you found out from Latios and Latias. That it happened in the grass-themed field of the training arena, and the two mythical Pokémon reported it was a shadowy culprit that not even they could fend off without escaping. I hope that will be enough, Mr. Stone. And I'm sorry. Please get some rest...]

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"I am happy your Pokémon may rest unharmed," she began, pausing as her gaze drilled into his, "However, thou could hath asked any of us for aide in your escapade."
"Whatever thine reason might hath been, the result is the same: the culprit hath absconded, nearly claiming another as their prize."
worried.png
Steven couldn't stop himself from flinching at Violet's words. Everything that she said, it was true. All of it. And he knew it. Yet somehow it stung even more to hear her say it.

He couldn't meet her stern gaze, Aggron's withering look at him last night before he stomped out the door blazing bright in his mind.

The chirps and mumbles that exited her mouth were indistinct, but the confused anxiety in her voice was palpable. The man in front of her was not Steven Stone, Champion of Hoenn, but someone else entirely
Except as he stared at the ground, he caught sight of Hazel, and his heart sunk even lower. The little Weavile looked absolutely crushed at his admission. He couldn't blame her.

"I thank those two saviours for their aide. Latias and Latios... yes, I believe I saw a title on those two, actually." She opened her eyes and gave a soft smile, "Regardless of what might hath been... they hath deemed you worthy of their graces. Do not forget this, Steven." Titles were one thing, but the recognition of two mythical Pokémon was another.

Doubtless that the man already understood the gravity of his folly, yet failed to see the bigger picture opportunity he just created. "This also means we hath two additional witnesses to add, and ones that we can confirm as — at the very least — amicable, if not allied with us."

Violet took a deep bow as she said, "We shall uphold a sworn promise to disseminate this information with discretion. Is that not right, Hazel?"
The Latis. If there was one bright spot in all of this, it was knowing they were here to help.

Steven tried to hide a grimace at her small praise. If only she knew the truth; the Latis hadn't acknowledged him. They pitied him. He was just a poor unfortunate soul that needed their help. Except he was none of those things. Why me? Why not Reena?

He swallowed his shame and gave a weak bow. "Thank you... For your reassurance. I..."

She pities you, too.

After a few moments of contemplation, Hazel took her own bow and murmured the same promise as Violet. Her shaky claw clutched onto her phone as she slowly typed a reply — having to backspace often due to her clammy grip.

[I will let the others know that the noise last night was an attack. I won't specify you were the one who was attacked... just that you found out from Latios and Latias. That it happened in the grass-themed field of the training arena, and the two mythical Pokémon reported it was a shadowy culprit that not even they could fend off without escaping. I hope that will be enough, Mr. Stone. And I'm sorry. Please get some rest...]
He read Hazel's message, trying to ignore the way her claws shuddered as she held the phone out for him.

eyes closed pensive.png
"I appreciate your delicate handling of all of this," he finally managed. "I'll--"

"I'll try," he almost said to her plea for him to rest. But lying to Hazel after what he'd already done, how she'd already helped him, it made his chest hurt.

worried.png
"I'll let Aggron know you asked about him. He will appreciate it." Only a half lie. He didn't know if Aggron would want to see his face, let alone talk to him. His hands were trembling all over again, and he quickly balled them into fists.

"Thank you, again," he mumbled before abruptly turning and leaving the lounge, knowing Violet could see his shame painted clearly across his back.

Disappointments didn't deserve pity.

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
Day 5: May and Spirit with the Oshawott in the lounge

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
At least nothing had happened that morning. What a thing to be grateful for.

May had a quiet breakfast of cornflakes and then considered what to do, who to interrogate, where to investigate. Once again she hadn't slept much. Spirit had chosen to keep restlessly talking about that dumb excited Mightyena until May'd told her in a flash of anger that they were gone, and then they'd both been quiet, awake, for a long time.

"Let's just... hang out in the lounge for a bit," she said as she stood up abruptly, and Spirit followed.

She collapsed on one of the couches, looking restlessly around. Bookcase. Probably there was something there to read. Could use something to do.

She was about to stand up when she noticed the Oshawott was also there - the one who'd been with Coleane. Gen? The one who was super anxious, and Coleane kept wanting to tell them something about why he could speak human only he'd kept stopping her.

Spirit's ears had perked in interest. "Hello, Gen," she said, in Pokémon speech.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Gen's ears swiveled towards the Ninetales, and he grimaced. He hated that sensation.

Nonetheless, he looked up from the book he was reading, and waved at the Ninetales. "Um, h-hi," he said in human speech. "You're...Spirit, r-right?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Gen looked uncomfortable. Hard to be surprised.

Spirit nodded. "Yes. Well remembered."

May raised a hand in a brief wave and stood up to browse through the bookcase. Seemed to have various books on training. Something about Unovan triple battles might be useful, maybe.

Spirit looked after her, then back at Gen. She paused for a moment. "I recall you were reluctant to reveal why you can speak human," she said. She lowered her voice, grinning a mysterious grin as she continued in human. "Did you know I can speak human too?"

May's fingers tightened on the spine of the book she was pulling out. Whatever. They were in a different universe. And the idea of tiny anxious Gen doing anything with that knowledge was laughable anyway.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Gen's eyes widened. Spirit could speak human too? Was she like himself, or like Coleane? Or was there some other reason why?

And they were curious why he was reluctant to reveal why he could speak human.

But he thought back to his conversation with Jade and Nine a few days ago.

"So if you can't hide it, maybe it'd help to go with the opposite approach? If everyone knew you were human, there'd be more people who could help. Maybe someone could get you a boat to Johto."

Maybe...he should just tell them.

But what if they get mad? What if they use it against him?

But maybe...it could help him get back home.

"Um..." Gen took a deep breath, and said, "I'm h-human. Or...I u-used to b-be."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
What. May looked sharply back towards them. Spirit looked startled, too; probably she'd been imagining Gen might be keeping a secret more like her own, not that.

"Hang on, hang on," May said, pinching the bridge of her nose. "You used to be human? As in, you just got... turned into a Pokémon, somehow?"

That just sounded... ridiculous. A human turned into a Pokémon, now being trained by a trainer who was a Pokémon. And yet. After all this multiple worlds thing, why not? Why wouldn't people be able to just turn into Pokémon in some of them? There were no standards for what was plausible or rational anymore.

"How did this happen?" asked Spirit, her brow furrowing in concern. "Did a legendary Pokémon transform you into an Oshawott? Or... the Voice of Life that Coleane told us about?"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Y-yeah, I...I was just a k-kid from Goldenrod in Johto, a-and...now I'm this," Gen said, looking down at himself as his tail flicked from side to side.

"I...I don't kn-know how it happened. I j-just...woke up l-like this one day, far a-away from home, in a w-world without any humans," the Oshawott said, gripping onto his reunion cape.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
He was from Johto. Something jolted uncomfortably in May's stomach. She'd been to Goldenrod, on holidays and sometimes when they needed something from the big city and all its specialty stores and businesses, back before her mom'd left. Different Goldenrod, of course - probably. He did say he'd woken up in a different world from the one he'd come from. What were the odds? How many Johtos and Goldenrods were there?

She turned around, book clutched in her hand. "I'm from New Bark Town. Near the southeastern coast. If that... if that even exists in your Johto."

"In a world without any humans," Spirit repeated, ears perked. "So you woke up in... Coleane's world? You were one of the human heroes that she spoke about?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom