• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Inner Focus Training Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"Well now I feel a bit foolish," said Steven, his gaze drifting back and forth between the eons, their trainer, and Odette. Aggron still wasn't here, but if Odette wasn't worried, then perhaps he didn't need to either. "Do you, uh, know him by chance?" he asked, nervously.
Odette Deadpan.PNG
She could see that perhaps her words hadn't dug deep enough into him, and started to wonder what else she could say to drive the point home. But, with the newcomer here, there suddenly wasn't time for that. She'd figure that out in a little bit.

"Yeah, you don't need to worry about him. He's not the one with the violence fetish," she said. "What, were you guys playing tag or something?"

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Yeah, you don't need to worry about him. He's not the one with the violence fetish," she said. "What, were you guys playing tag or something?"
neutral look down.png
"Ah, no, not exactly," said Steven. "I may have caused more trouble than I thought with--" he gestured weakly to the arena and himself. "--all this."

He glanced down at the Espeon that had sat itself directly on top of his shoes. "At this point, I'm not sure an apology is going to carry much weight, but..." He reached out and gently scratched the Espeon's head, "I am sorry. For everything."

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
"Hey," she called, screwing the top off of it, "Usain Boltund." She leaned down and sat the bottle next to Wes's head. "Drink slowly. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. You're gonna hyperventilate like that."
I know how to handle heat exhaustion, dammit. Wes nearly said as much, but that felt like too much effort, so instead he nodded, sat up, and shakily raised the bottle to his lips, leaning against Novo with his other arm. After a few small sips and another moment to catch his breath, he shrugged off his coat and slouched against the wall beside the bench. He tipped his head back and closed his eyes for a second, silently cursing himself for making such an entrance in front of two people be barely knew.

“Brrrrri.” Novo leaned up against him and Neo chirped from a few feet away.

Eyes still closed, Wes rubbed the top of Novo’s head and mumbled, “It’s okay. I’m fine. Just…don’t run off like that again, please.” Gods, he hated how weak his voice sounded.

"Well now I feel a bit foolish," said Steven, his gaze drifting back and forth between the eons, their trainer, and Odette. Aggron still wasn't here, but if Odette wasn't worried, then perhaps he didn't need to either. "Do you, uh, know him by chance?" he asked, nervously.

"Ah, no, not exactly," said Steven. "I may have caused more trouble than I thought with--" he gestured weakly to the arena and himself. "--all this."

Wes opened one eye to give the dandy a withering look. “Yeah, no shit.”

He could practically feel Novo’s disapproving glance from out of the corner of his eye. He sighed and closed his eyes again. “Looks like we’re both idiots. I didn’t mean to scare you back there. In my defense, you were acting real damn shady, and you can’t be too cautious in this place, but. I shouldn’t have…jumped the gun, I guess. Sorry about that.”

He opened his eyes to give the other trainer a tiny nod of thanks and handed her back the bottle. “Thanks…Odette, right?”

Novo perked up at the name and, for whatever reason, started looking all around the arena as if he were searching for someone. Wes was too tired to inquire about it at the moment, so he chose not to comment.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon

He could practically feel Novo’s disapproving glance from out of the corner of his eye. He sighed and closed his eyes again. “Looks like we’re both idiots. I didn’t mean to scare you back there. In my defense, you were acting real damn shady, and you can’t be too cautious in this place, but. I shouldn’t have…jumped the gun, I guess. Sorry about that.”
Steven watched the trenchcoated trainer as he dragged himself over to the side of the building. Something about him reminded Steven of Sidney, and it wasn't just the swearing. He relaxed a bit more.

hehe whoops.png
"No, you're right," he said. "That's a fair assessment. Plenty of misunderstanding on both sides."

"You'll have to forgive me, I'm... not exactly at my best right now," he said, looking sheepishly back at Odette.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu

He glanced down at the Espeon that had sat itself directly on top of his shoes. "At this point, I'm not sure an apology is going to carry much weight, but..." He reached out and gently scratched the Espeon's head, "I am sorry. For everything."
Odette Neutral.PNG
"No. I think--"

Odette Pissed 2.PNG
Man, she'd just finished shooing Odile off to avoid making this talk any more aggressive, and now here this guy was, injecting aggression into it.

Oh, no. Perhaps she thought to soon. She wasn't sure what happened, but she could definitely understand anybody else finding Steven's behavior shady, regardless of the interaction that occurred. But, at least there was an apology afoot. That was alright.

He opened his eyes to give the other trainer a tiny nod of thanks and handed her back the bottle. “Thanks…Odette, right?”
Odette Neutral.PNG
"That's me," she said, taking it. "And no problem." Lets just hope my blood pressure doesn't drop before I can make it to the shop.

"You'll have to forgive me, I'm... not exactly at my best right now," he said, looking sheepishly back at Odette.
As she screwed the lid back on it and put it back into her bag, she continued her previous thought. "As I was saying, Steven," she began, "I think your head's just all over the place. Mine fucking is. You don't owe me any sort of apology; we're square."

She leaned a little closer to him and lowered her voice. "And for what it's worth, mistakes happen. I wouldn't have survived my ordeal if it weren't for legendary interference either," she offered. "You can think whatever, or believe you know whatever, but shit will just blindside you. I know I put my team through the wringer dealing with our collective bullshit on my account, and I thought they'd never trust or want to deal with me again..."

She shrugged. "But, we're good now. It just is. And if you and Aggron are as close a duo as I think you are, you'll be fine too. Don't dig yourself down this hole."

The smile she offered this time around is a little warmer. "And for fucks sake, don't sell yourself so damn short. Don't go getting yourself grabbed; you're a far greater asset to us when we know where you are."

She turned back toward Wes and crossed her arms over her chest. "And how are you feeling? You were a little fucked up the last time I saw you."

A ball of nerves began to form somewhere in her throat as she recalled the sound of her gun firing again. "Glad you're all up and walking at least."

***​
Novo perked up at the name and, for whatever reason, started looking all around the arena as if he were searching for someone. Wes was too tired to inquire about it at the moment, so he chose not to comment.
Enora Frown.PNG
Well, after a thorough search of the grounds, nothing out of the ordinary popped up. No sense of any other residue, ghost or not. Looks like they really cleared the area. So, Enora decided to play safe and head back to Odette.

As she sauntered back, something black suddenly came into view. She recognized those yellow rings, and she felt her ribbons start to glow in minute excitement.

Enora Beaming.PNG
"Oh, Novo!" she gasped as she pranced up to him. "Fancy seeing...you here?"
Enora Sus.PNG
She looked around, noticing just who else had convened on the area. Novo's trainer, Wes, was laying on the ground. He glistened with sweat and was red in the face. Meanwhile, Steven and Odette sat on a bench, and Neo warming Steven's shoes. Nobody seemed hostile, which was honestly a good thing. She wouldn't think anything bad of this; it was best everyone stayed grouped up anyway. But, what on Earth had she missed? And where the heck was Odile?

Enora Smile.PNG
It didn't matter right now. Not when she had her own business to attend to.

"How are you feeling? Are you alright? I'm sorry, I didn't say much to you at the beach, but..."

Enora Sad.PNG
Her ears drooped at the thought of it. "There was a lot going on. I'm glad to see you look well, though."

Last edited:

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Well. That much had been obvious. Wes grinned wryly. “Makes two of us, then.”
The smile she offered this time around is a little warmer. "And for fucks sake, don't sell yourself so damn short. Don't go getting yourself grabbed; you're a far greater asset to us when we know where you are."
Aha. There it was, the thing he’d been hiding. Wes had suspected as much at first, but then the guy was so cagey about everything he’d begun to suspect even more. Turns out he was just too…embarrassed? Ashamed? Wes supposed he could understand a little, but the extent to which Steven had been willing to go to hide his involvement was…odd. He must have missed a vital part of their conversation earlier.
She turned back toward Wes and crossed her arms over her chest. "And how are you feeling? You were a little fucked up the last time I saw you."

A ball of nerves began to form somewhere in her throat as she recalled the sound of her gun firing again. "Glad you're all up and walking at least."
He snorted. “Yeah, that’s an understatement, isn’t it?” He gingerly probed at his side, wincing as it throbbed in response, but the pain was slowly easing up now that he wasn’t sprinting through a damn jungle. “I’ve been better, but I’ve been a lot worse. I’m not planning on attempting another marathon through the woods anytime soon, though. As delightful as that was.”

"Oh, Novo!" she gasped as she pranced up to him. "Fancy seeing...you here?"
Novo’s face lit up as soon as Odette’s Pokémon came into view. A Sylveon, was it? Wes blinked in surprise as Novo sprang to his feet and immediately left his trainer’s side to greet the other Eeveelution. That was quite the bounce in his step…

Oh. Oh. It all finally clicked. So that’s what this was all about, then. He let out a small huff of amusement; for all his worry, Novo had been quick to leave him in the dust once she’d showed up. So much for loyalty, he thought with a grin.

But back to the matter at hand. He glanced back at Steven with a raised eyebrow. “So that’s what all the fuss was about, then? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame you for being so freaked out after being a target, but…who in their right mind goes off on their own immediately after getting jumped? What the hell were you thinking?” There was no accusatory note in his voice, only bewilderment.

"How are you feeling? Are you alright? I'm sorry, I didn't say much to you at the beach, but..."

Her ears drooped at the thought of it. "There was a lot going on. I'm glad to see you look well, though."
Novo wagged his tail and lightly brushed her nose with his. He was fine! He was great! He’d been scared for Wes for a while, but his trainer was better now.

He purred and kneaded the ground. He was just so happy to see her again, and was glad to see she was well, too.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
He snorted. “Yeah, that’s an understatement, isn’t it?” He gingerly probed at his side, wincing as it throbbed in response, but the pain was slowly easing up now that he wasn’t sprinting through a damn jungle. “I’ve been better, but I’ve been a lot worse. I’m not planning on attempting another marathon through the woods anytime soon, though. As delightful as that was.”
Odette Neutral.PNG
Odette's right hand traveled to rub her left arm as Wes spoke. Yeah, she could empathize with that, for sure. Definitely not the worst state she'd ever been in, but far from the best.

"Well, the attempt alone was plenty impressive," she said jokingly. "You should try dancing in a ballet next, I'm sure you'd have an equally wonderful time."
Oh. Oh. It all finally clicked. So that’s what this was all about, then. He let out a small huff of amusement; for all his worry, Novo had been quick to leave him in the dust once she’d showed up. So much for loyalty, he thought with a grin.
Odette Sus.PNG
Odette briefly turned her gaze on Novo as he...bolted over to greet Enora. Who looked quite ecstatic to see him.

Enora had always been a likeable 'mon. So, it wasn't a shock that she was making friends so easily.

But back to the matter at hand. He glanced back at Steven with a raised eyebrow. “So that’s what all the fuss was about, then? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame you for being so freaked out after being a target, but…who in their right mind goes off on their own immediately after getting jumped? What the hell were you thinking?” There was no accusatory note in his voice, only bewilderment.
Odette Thinking.PNG
She really wanted to stay quiet. By all means, she should have stayed quiet. But, she'd grown into a bit of a peanut gallery after years of exposure to Noel, Hau, Guzma, and Clovis.

"We call that real risky reckless bitch hours," she said under her breath.

***​
Novo wagged his tail and lightly brushed her nose with his. He was fine! He was great! He’d been scared for Wes for a while, but his trainer was better now.

He purred and kneaded the ground. He was just so happy to see her again, and was glad to see she was well, too.
Enora Beaming.PNG
Her ribbons ignited into a bright glow as their noses touched. Well. How sweet was that?

"My, Novo, that was very kind of you," she giggled. "I'm a little surprised to see you here, though. Come to do some training, perhaps?"

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
She shrugged. "But, we're good now. It just is. And if you and Aggron are as close a duo as I think you are, you'll be fine too. Don't dig yourself down this hole."
worried.png
Grimly, he thought to himself that it might already be too deep. But he nodded nonetheless. Aggron had already found him at the bottom of one hole. Maybe he'd do it again.

He offered a weak smile back, musing that Odette would probably get along well with Glacia if they ever got the chance to meet. Something about the combination of motherly instinct and killer instinct.

smile_eyes closed.png
"I'd rather not go anywhere if I can help it." That sentiment was definitely sincere.

worried.png
Steven looked back toward where the trainer had dragged himself to rest. "I think at this point it's fairly clear that I wasn't. Thinking, that is."

He was back to staring at the ground again, trying to ignore the way the Espeon kept headbutting his knee trying to get his face in Steven's line of sight.

"I was at the lake alone because I haven't seen my partner, Aggron, since last night. He was furious with me and stormed out of our room." He hung his head. "I was too much of a coward to chase after him."

"I saw him this morning, briefly. But... I don't think he wants anything to do with me right now."

eyes closed pensive.png
"I couldn't stay in my room all day." He didn't mention how he couldn't bear to look at the reminder of Aggron's anger. "So I went out. Not thinking."

He glanced over at the eon's trainer, who without his coat suddenly became a lot more transparent. He was thin, thinner than Steven had assumed, and wiry. Tanned, like he'd spent most of his life outside. It hit Steven just how different their circumstances must have been before all this... The way he looked at his pokemon like they were his last bastion on this earth.

What he must think of Steven right now. A trainer who doesn't even know where his partner is.

All his nervous energy, the adrenaline, the anxiety, it all faded to the background and left him drained. He slouched forward, resting his forearms against his knees.

He didn't know why he needed to justify things, but he started talking anyway. (Maybe he couldn't stand being a disappointment to everyone he was going to meet today. Maybe it was his turn to share something personal. Maybe he was finally tired enough that his usual safeguards were down.)

worried.png
"I... am not Aggron's original trainer. He had one other trainer before me. We crossed paths only once, years after Aggron and I had become partners."

"I met Aggron when he was an Aron in the depths of Granite Cave. Back then, I assumed he'd been lost, or some unfortunate fate had befallen his trainer. But... When we came across his former trainer, alive and well, and when he told me-- told us-- he'd left Aggron there on purpose..."

A deep scowl formed in Steven's face, a look of disgust, contempt, and finally for someone other than himself. But it left as quickly as it came as he continued.

"Aggron found me that day, in the bottom of that cave. I don't know if he thought he was going to find his original trainer, or any human would do. He could have left after rescuing me, but he didn't."

He shook his head with a wistful smile. "I didn't even catch him, he caught himself in that ball. Aggron chose me, and I still sometimes ask myself why. How I could have been so lucky."

angry straight ahead.png
"I swore the day that we met, I would never make him regret his choice."

worried.png
"Today, though. Last night. My mistake... I was this close to breaking my promise. I almost made him lose his trainer again."

eyes closed pensive.png
"Disappointing others, those who have expectations of a Champion, it doesn't feel good. But the worst part, more than anything else, was disappointing him. And I couldn't bear to admit that I had."

And there it was. Finished, he leaned back in his seat and rested a hand over his eyes. Gods he was so tired. Did saying all that make him feel any better? A little. He still has to figure out a way to make amends. But finally admitting to what had been eating at him, it was a start.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"Disappointing others, those who have expectations of a Champion, it doesn't feel good. But the worst part, more than anything else, was disappointing him. And I couldn't bear to admit that I had."
Odette Neutral.PNG
Odette was quiet as she listened to Steven speak. The longer he went on, the more she was starting to get the picture of what might have happened. Went out at night, had the run-in with the culprit, got saved by the Latii's, and got into a fight when they got back to their room. Aggron stormed out, Steven didn't know where he was and now...here they were. Wrapped up with Wes too, because Wes had automatically assumed something suspicious was going on.

She watched Steven deflate a little more. And a little more. He must have been exhausted, both from running around, and the possible mental turmoil he was currently going through. She wondered if he even slept last night.

Then, he finally opened up a little. Telling them of how he'd even run into Aggron in the first place. She didn't bother to hide her disdain as he recalled how he'd found the lone Aron, left behind by their trainer on purpose. They rescued each other. It'd be a sweet story if it also wasn't so fucked up. Some people really just were never fit to train Pokemon...

But, at least now she got a better peek into Steven's head. A better understanding of why he was so torn up about this. She slowly nodded along in understanding, letting him know that she was hearing him loud and clear.

And then that list bit? About disappointing others? She felt it. Not that she wasn't wholly empathizing with him to begin with--she wouldn't have spilled her guts to him, it being only their third or so meeting, if she didn't (it did feel kind of neat to fall on such common ground with somebody, though. Her therapist knew what she was talking about in mentioning that)--but she that was a bit of a fresher issue for her.

"Yeah, I get it," she said in agreement. "Forget the personal relations you already have, but you have that extra scrutiny on your ass too. I know it doesn't make something like that any easier." And with their fucked up start to begin with? With Steven feeling like he'd broken that promise? She could see why he was so down on himself.

Not that you should know how that feels to begin with.

"Well, you've made some progress here. Saying it out loud. I'm no therapist or emotionally intelligent individual, but, good job."

Last edited:

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
"Well, the attempt alone was plenty impressive," she said jokingly. "You should try dancing in a ballet next, I'm sure you'd have an equally wonderful time."
Wes couldn’t help but laugh a little at that. It was the sort of teasing jab Rui might have made, and for once it felt good to have someone to lighten the mood a little in this place. With a small twinge, he realized that he’d missed this sort of banter…but he didn’t let himself linger on that too long, instead choosing to shove those thoughts away.

Her ribbons ignited into a bright glow as their noses touched. Well. How sweet was that?

"My, Novo, that was very kind of you," she giggled. "I'm a little surprised to see you here, though. Come to do some training, perhaps?"
Novo purred a little in amusement. If only they had actually ended up here for such a normal reason. Instead, he filled Enora in on their adventure this morning and how it led them to the arena. Though, he had to admit, he did hope they could get some training in before leaving today. It had been quite a while since he’d had a good sparring match.
Steven looked back toward where the trainer had dragged himself to rest. "I think at this point it's fairly clear that I wasn't. Thinking, that is."

He was back to staring at the ground again, trying to ignore the way the Espeon kept headbutting his knee trying to get his face in Steven's line of sight.

"I was at the lake alone because I haven't seen my partner, Aggron, since last night. He was furious with me and stormed out of our room." He hung his head. "I was too much of a coward to chase after him."

"I saw him this morning, briefly. But... I don't think he wants anything to do with me right now."

"I couldn't stay in my room all day." He didn't mention how he couldn't bear to look at the reminder of Aggron's anger. "So I went out. Not thinking."

"I... am not Aggron's original trainer. He had one other trainer before me. We crossed paths only once, years after Aggron and I had become partners."

"I met Aggron when he was an Aron in the depths of Granite Cave. Back then, I assumed he'd been lost, or some unfortunate fate had befallen his trainer. But... When we came across his former trainer, alive and well, and when he told me-- told us-- he'd left Aggron there on purpose..."

A deep scowl formed in Steven's face, a look of disgust, contempt, and finally for someone other than himself. But it left as quickly as it came as he continued.

"Aggron found me that day, in the bottom of that cave. I don't know if he thought he was going to find his original trainer, or any human would do. He could have left after rescuing me, but he didn't."

He shook his head with a wistful smile. "I didn't even catch him, he caught himself in that ball. Aggron chose me, and I still sometimes ask myself why. How I could have been so lucky."

"Today, though. Last night. My mistake... I was this close to breaking my promise. I almost made him lose his trainer again."

eyes closed pensive.png

Wes listened as Steven, at long last, spilled out all of this thoughts, as he bowed his head and let his shame show more and more with each word. At one point, Wes caught the word “Champion” in there—Champion? Champion? Oh, for the love of Mew. Of course this guy was a Champion. Whatever, Wes could unpack that later.

But then Steven continued, and as he went on, Wes felt a slow, simmering anger rise within him. He felt his fingers curl into fists, felt heat festering in his chest that had nothing to do with his earlier sprint.

“But the worst part, more than anything else, was disappointing him. And I couldn't bear to admit that I had." Steven’s voice was low as he finished, eyes on the ground, and Wes could no longer hold back.

“Shut up.”

Odette and Steven snapped their heads around to look at him in shock, but he didn’t care. “Shut up and get the hell over yourself.” He pushed himself upright and glowered at Steven, at this so-called Champion, as the blood roared in his ears.

“You think this all about you, huh? That all of this is your fault and because it’s your fault, you had to run away? Couldn’t deal with the consequences? You didn’t think for one second about what your Pokémon actually wants, did you?”

His voice was shaking now. “So you screwed up. Screwed up big, and now you say that he wants nothing to do with you? Bullshit.

That Pokémon chose you, he chose you from the very beginning, and he kept choosing you through everything, through every setback and injury and sign of danger, stuck with you even when he shouldn’t have, even when it was probably too dangerous, even at the risk of his own safety, because he cared about you.

“And how do you thank him? By running away like a gods-damned coward.” Wes spat out the last word with venomous fury.

“Did you even ask him how he felt? Did he say he wants nothing to do with you, that he wants you to go away and never come back? Or did you just run, because assuming the worst is easier than owning up to your mistake, it’s easier than confirming your worst fears, it’s easier to assume she hates you than to hear it from her own mouth. So you just ran, just threw yourself into more danger because gods forbid she actually still cares about you after everything, that a person as pathetic as yourself is actually somehow worth a damn to someone like her. You just ran, because running is easier!”

Wes’ voice finally cracked on the last word. He slumped back against the wall, breathing hard, somehow feeling far more drained than after his run here. He rested his elbow on a bent knee and buried his head in his hand before breathing out a weak, shaky curse. “Shit.”

Something soft and warm brushed against his side; in the corner of his eye, Wes saw Neo leaning in, eyes filled with sadness, ears drooping with his tail. Wes didn’t reply, but let Neo push his way under his arm and snuggle in close with a quiet, sorrowful mew.

He closed his eyes for a moment, let himself catch his breath. Dammit. What the hell is wrong with me. To lose his cool like this, in front of other people, no less…

Slowly, he lifted his head to lean back against the wall, eyes still closed. “Sorry,” he murmured, so low it was almost a whisper. “Just…don’t be like me. I don’t know you—either of you—very well, but I guarantee you’re…better. Better than I am.”

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
“Shut up.”
Odette visibly stiffened as Wes spoke. She was amazed at how fast her anger spiked without Odile in close proximity.

“Dude, what the fuck,” she snapped.

As she listened to him speak, her anger only spiked. She knew he was directing it at Steven, but it felt personal. She took it personal. She’d been sitting here trying to tell Steven ‘been there done that’ because it was TRUE, and now this guy was here to unravel it? Tell her it was all wrong? That it was cowardly?

Fuck that.

Yeah he fucked up, been there done that. It’s part of being a fucking human. What, are you so perfect that you think you’re good to go to run up in here and put somebody down? Did you go out last night and get your ass handed to you too? Are you projecting? You sure as fuck sound like you are.”

The breath she inhaled was big. It puffed out her chest; she felt like a cat trying to make itself bigger. On the defensive. “Okay, I don’t know what the FUCK your deal is, but you’ve got a lot of fucking nerve. Did it dawn on you that he asked his ‘mon what it wanted? Did it dawn on you that they were on the same page? And that they went in and still couldn’t fucking win? Huh? Did it dawn on you that maybe some people just need a fucking moment to collect themselves and that it doesn’t make them a fucking coward to take a second to clear their fucking heads? So they can learn from it and move the fuck on because there’s more important things to be fucking worrying about?”

She sat up. The air around her became almost electric as her eyes blazed with absolutely otherworldly fury. “Huh, Wes? Huh?” she screamed over him. “I’m more than fucking happy to tell you the goddamn story too if it’ll make you feel better, but don’t saunter up in my fucking grill and call me…” she paused, eyes widening, “…him…us. Cowards. You can be mad all the FUCK you want about whatever it is, but don’t pull somebody down with you when they’re already—“

She soon realized Wes was not talking about the subject at hand. He said “her.” “She.” He was talking about…a girl.

Her violent gaze only somewhat softened as she watched him come back to his senses. She watched him sink, feel bad about himself, then mutter something. Her blood was pumping against her eardrums, so she had to strain herself to hear it.

“Now it’s my turn to tell you to get the fuck over yourself, since you want to be like that,” she growled. “Don’t assume a goddamn fucking thing about me, got it? Are you the living, walking fucking antichrist? No? Then don’t start with your ‘you’re better than me narrative.’ You don’t know shit.”

Another calming breath, and she tugged down on her track jacket before shoving her hands in her pockets. She turned her head away to look elsewhere. Anywhere.

“You got something you wanna unpack now?” she asked. “Now we’re all ears.”

She was silent for a little while after that. She never stopped shaking her head, before she aggressively kicked a rock against a wall.

“Gods, when the fuck did this become brood fest? I don’t want brood fest. I want us to get some fucking answers before I—or somebody—gets fucking kidnapped again. Fucking…”

Her fingers curled in her jacket. Another breath. Keep it together.

“You can be sad. Or mad. I don’t give a fuck. I can only give so many heart to hearts before I fucking shrivel up. I’m not good at this. At all. So I’ll put it like this. I already gave the polite fellow champion talk, so I’ll give you the nasty fellow foul mouth talk.”

She turned to him. Both of them.

“Wipe your fucking tears, pull up your panties, and keep it together. Learn. Educate yourself. Swallow your self fucking pity and face it. So you,” she pointed to Steven, “can make up with your Aggron, and we can solve this bullshit so you,” she pointed to Wes, “can go the fuck home and tell this girl or whatever the fuck that you’re sorry and that you’re never gonna leave her fucking side again.”

She frowned at that. That’s not what she meant to say. Maybe another nerve got struck, but she didn’t want to unpack that.

“You’re allowed to feel how you feel. It’s hard. But don’t dig holes, and don’t weigh others down with it. Take your moment, learn, and keep fucking moving. Before it eats you alive.”

Last edited:

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
The air around her became almost electric as her eyes blazed with absolutely otherworldly fury. “Huh, Wes? Huh?” she screamed over him. “I’m more than fucking happy to tell you the goddamn story too if it’ll make you feel better, but don’t saunter up in my fucking grill and call me…” she paused, eyes widening, “…him…us. Cowards. You can be mad all the FUCK you want about whatever it is, but don’t pull somebody down with you when they’re already—“
Damn. Of all the reactions he’d been expecting, he wasn’t quite prepared for that. He shot her a withering glare, not the least threatened by her tantrum. “First of all, I wasn’t talking to you. Second, if you want to intimidate someone, it helps to have more than a foot on them when you’re standing and they’re sitting. Simmer down, Princess.”

Somewhere in the back his mind, his conscience was screaming at him. What the hell are you doing?! Are you trying to make enemies? But he was tired, dammit, and he really wasn’t in the mood to deal with everyone’s crap on top of his own.
“Now it’s my turn to tell you to get the fuck over yourself, since you want to be like that,” she growled. “Don’t assume a goddamn fucking thing about me, got it? Are you the living, walking fucking antichrist? No? Then don’t start with your ‘you’re better than me narrative.’ You don’t know shit.”
He barked out a laugh, but it carried none of the warmth that his previous one did. “That’s a hell of an argument you’re trying to make there. What, are you trying to say you’re pathetic, too? I mean, don’t let me stop you if that’s what you want. I know I’m worthless.” He sneered, a note of nasty, icy bitterness creeping into his tone. “Don’t see how that’s got anything to do with you, unless I’m not the only one who’s projecting here.”

“Wipe your fucking tears, pull up your panties, and keep it together. Learn. Educate yourself. Swallow your self fucking pity and face it. So you,” she pointed to Steven, “can make up with your Aggron, and we can solve this bullshit so you,” she pointed to Wes, “can go the fuck home and tell this girl or whatever the fuck that you’re sorry and that you’re never gonna leave her fucking side again.”
He laughed again, hot anger flaring up a second time. “Gods, you’re a real hypocrite, aren’t you? Don’t pretend you know anything about who I am.”
“You’re allowed to feel how you feel. It’s hard. But don’t dig holes, and don’t weigh others down with it. Take your moment, learn, and keep fucking moving. Before it eats you alive.”
He wanted to bite back so, so badly, wanted to tell her to take her own advice and shove it…but the blazing anger faded as quickly as it erupted, leaving him feeling hollow and exhausted. He rubbed at his temples with a defeated sigh. “Yeah. Sure. A bit too late for me on that front, I think, but whatever.” He closed his eyes, fighting off an impending headache. “Forget it. I don’t know how to make things better, or how to comfort people, or how to find a kidnapping maniac. I just make a mess of things. Clearly.” He gestured lethargically at their surroundings. Then, not sure what else to add, he mumbled lamely, “…Sorry.”

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I actually am projecting. At least I’ll admit it. And this princess will knock you on your fucking ass, try me. I’ve had to ki—”

Don’t say that. Do not say that.

She held her finger to her lip, cutting herself off.
Before long, a scoff followed. “And I never said I knew you. You made it clear you’ve got some chick on your mind, dude.”

She forced another breath. Now that the words were out of system, the fire within her extinguished. With Odile out of her system, the exhaustion wouldn’t follow. And yet, she still felt like she needed a nap. She collapsed back on the bench and hung her head.

This. This is what she got for trying to show some empathy and do something she was never equipped to do in the first place. No good deed ever went unpunished, did it?

“I’m not very put together myself. Despite what I preach,” she admitted. “But I’m working on it, I guess.”

Twirling her braid around her finger, allowing her eyes to slip shut. “I’m sorry too. I had a good streak going of not blowing a fuse…”

She sat back up and sighed. Deeply. “Yeah. I apologize.”

Last edited:

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
“Shut up.”

Odette and Steven snapped their heads around to look at him in shock, but he didn’t care. “Shut up and get the hell over yourself.” He pushed himself upright and glowered at Steven, at this so-called Champion, as the blood roared in his ears.

“You think this all about you, huh? That all of this is your fault and because it’s your fault, you had to run away? Couldn’t deal with the consequences? You didn’t think for one second about what your Pokémon actually wants, did you?”
Steven recoiled as if he'd been slapped, the water bottle still in his hands giving a horrid crunch as his grip clamped down around it.

Think this was about him? Was it not him that chose to go to the arena at night? He was pretty sure it was. That made it his fault, by deductive reasoning. Even more so that he'd admitted it thrice over, now. Why was... how was yelling at him going to help?

Some part of Steven, perhaps the fatigue-hazed part, seemed to drift off and separate itself from the rest of his consciousness. Almost like he was observing himself from the outside. He stayed there as the trainer's tirade continued, watching as his own hands strangled the water bottle into oblivion...

His voice was shaking now. “So you screwed up. Screwed up big, and now you say that he wants nothing to do with you? Bullshit.

That Pokémon chose you, he chose you from the very beginning, and he kept choosing you through everything, through every setback and injury and sign of danger, stuck with you even when he shouldn’t have, even when it was probably too dangerous, even at the risk of his own safety, because he cared about you.

“And how do you thank him? By running away like a gods-damned coward.” Wes spat out the last word with venomous fury.
Steven wasn't sure where his unfocused gaze had landed. Somewhere between the gravel in front of the bench, and the memory of last night, his mind echoing with the sounds of splintering wood and ripping upholstery. He was breathing rapidly, too rapidly. He tried to slow it down, but instead his head swam and he reached out to himself to try to steady the way he swayed in his seat...

“Did you even ask him how he felt? Did he say he wants nothing to do with you, that he wants you to go away and never come back? Or did you just run, because assuming the worst is easier than owning up to your mistake, it’s easier than confirming your worst fears, it’s easier to assume she hates you than to hear it from her own mouth. So you just ran, just threw yourself into more danger because gods forbid she actually still cares about you after everything, that a person as pathetic as yourself is actually somehow worth a damn to someone like her. You just ran, because running is easier!”
Even from a distance, Steven could feel his chest squeeze. There was no reasoning with Aggron's blind anger. Not that night. He'd... he'd confide in Steven when he was ready. Right? He just needed a moment, some time... It was like his father had said. "Steven, these things take time." Was that... Grief? Did his father ever come back, confirm that enough time had passed? That old wounds had closed, that things had been mended? That it was okay to ask about Mother again--?

He hadn't asked. He'd always assumed. Things would be okay. They always were. Right? And if they weren't, well, he'd wait some more.

Wait. Wait--

He felt his gaze slide over to the ranting man, slowly blinking as the realization set in.

Aggron was male.

Who was 'she'?

Odette visibly stiffened as Wes spoke. She was amazed at how fast her anger spiked without Odile in close proximity.

“Dude, what the fuck,” she snapped.
Yeah he fucked up, been there done that. It’s part of being a fucking human. What, are you so perfect that you think you’re good to go to run up in here and put somebody down? Did you go out last night and get your ass handed to you too? Are you projecting? You sure as fuck sound like you are.”
Steven watched himself wince at Odette's outburst. She was angry. Was she angry for him? She was yelling, yelling like he wasn't even there. He kind of wasn't, actually. Did she realize that, too? He wished he wasn't there.

The breath she inhaled was big. It puffed out her chest; she felt like a cat trying to make itself bigger. On the defensive. “Okay, I don’t know what the FUCK your deal is, but you’ve got a lot of fucking nerve. Did it dawn on you that he asked his ‘mon what it wanted? Did it dawn on you that they were on the same page? And that they went in and still couldn’t fucking win? Huh? Did it dawn on you that maybe some people just need a fucking moment to collect themselves and that it doesn’t make them a fucking coward to take a second to clear their fucking heads? So they can learn from it and move the fuck on because there’s more important things to be fucking worrying about?”
Yelling. Yelling. He needed to go. He needed to leave. He needed Beldum. He needed to go.

The water bottle clattered to the ground as he let go, instead choosing to latch onto his own arms, squeezing tight to remind himself he was still here. He knew all of these things. He knew them all. It didn't change what happened. It didn't change that people were yelling. He needed to find Aggron. He needed to apologize.

Manners, Steven. Be polite. Show respect.

Maybe they wouldn't see him. Maybe he could just leave, while they yelled. He had to go.

"I'm sorry," he blurted out, abruptly rising from his seat, still staring off into the distance as he watched himself waver on his feet.

He had to go. Please let him go. He wouldn't screw up any more.

He stood up too fast. He watched himself blink slowly, once, twice. Then begin to tip forward...

Aggron, I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"I'm sorry," he blurted out, abruptly rising from his seat, still staring off into the distance as he watched himself waver on his feet.

He stood up too fast. He watched himself blink slowly, once, twice. Then begin to tip forward...

Aggron, I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

Odette Deadpan.PNG

Odette had been so immersed in her own anger and getting a word in over Wes that she'd completely forgotten she was sitting next to Steven. Not until he shot up to leave, but stopped.

Her brow furrowed as she watched him waver in his spot. He looked like he was going to tip, so she took it upon herself to grab him and pull him back down to sit. "Are you good?" she asked him, some concern leaking into her tone.

He didn't look good. Her and Wes screaming at each other wasn't helping at all. Plus, he'd already chugged the water, and he still looked exhausted.

"When's the last time you ate? Or took a nap?"

Odile Neutral Frown.PNG
Once more, Odile returned. The rubber chicken, now clean, was stuck to her waist, as she now had an open plastic jar of communion wafers in her hands. She was being very liberal with with handfuls she shoved into her mouth.

"̵A̷m̵ ̶I̷ ̷f̶r̷e̵e̶ ̵t̷o̵ ̸c̴o̴m̵e̸ ̷b̴a̴c̸k̴ ̶n̴o̸w̴?̶ ̸A̶r̵e̶ ̵y̶o̴u̶ ̴d̶o̷n̴e̴ ̵w̶i̸t̸h̴ ̶y̸o̸u̸r̸ ̷f̶l̵i̷n̸g̷?̵"̴ she questioned between chews.

She shot a look at Wes. When the actual fuck did he get here? She kept her eyes on him as she threw another handful of wafers in her mouth.

"̴Y̸o̴u̵ ̵r̷e̵a̸l̶l̸y̶ ̵d̵o̶ ̶h̴a̶v̴e̴ ̸a̵ ̵t̷y̴p̶e̷.̸"̴

Odette Pissed 2.PNG
Odette whipped around to face Odile, now scowling. "Do you just pick terrible times to show up? No, it's--"

Her eyes caught on the jar, and she couldn't help but gape at it for a bit.

"How are you not fucking burning?"

Odile Neutral Frown.PNG
"I̶ ̵'̶o̴n̶o̸.̵ ̷I̶ ̷j̸u̸s̶t̸ ̸k̵n̶o̴w̶ ̴t̵h̴e̶y̷ ̸f̵e̶e̵l̶ ̶g̴o̸o̷d̴ ̴o̵n̸ ̴t̵h̶e̴s̷e̵ ̶t̵e̷e̴f̶,̵ ̴h̴e̴n̵n̷y̶.̷"̵ she replied with a shrug.

Odile then noticed Steven again, siting on the bench and looking kind of flushed. Tired. Like he wasn't all there. She cut her eyes down to her jar, then back to him, before approaching the bench.

"̵B̶o̸d̴y̶ ̸o̸f̵ ̷C̸h̴r̵i̵s̷t̵?̶"̶ she asked, holding the jar out to him. She gave it a good shake, hoping it would alert his attention. "̷I̷t̸'̵s̸ ̵s̸a̵l̸t̸y̶ ̶a̶n̵d̵ ̷q̸u̶i̶t̸e̶ ̶f̵i̷l̶l̶i̸n̵g̷.̴"̶

Last edited:

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I actually am projecting. At least I’ll admit it. And this princess will knock you on your fucking ass, try me. I’ve had to ki—”
Wes almost took the bait. Almost.

That’s hysterical. You think you’re the only one that’s had to kill before? You think that makes you special? Shut the hell up. You know nothing. Nothing.

Somehow, with the last shred of self-control he had left, he managed to keep his mouth shut.
She held her finger to her lip, cutting herself off.
Before long, a scoff followed. “And I never said I knew you. You made it clear you’ve got some chick on your mind, dude.”
Something about this statement bothered him, however. Perhaps it was the flippant way in which she said it, or the mocking edge to her tone.

“Don’t,” he said quietly, “call her that.”
She sat back up and sighed. Deeply. “Yeah. I apologize.”
Well. He could accept that. He huffed in dry amusement. “Yeah. So do I.” Gods, we’re all such a mess.

Holy hell, he hadn’t expected his words to have that extreme of an effect. Wes hastily jumped to his feet to keep the guy from toppling over, but Odette beat him to it and yanked Steven back down to the bench. Wes let out a breath of relief and ran a hand through his hair. “I didn’t—I—shit. Sorry. I’m sorry, okay? Just take some deep breaths, I’m not going to hurt anybody, all right? Get it together. You’re fine. I’m fine. Everything’s fine.”

Was this guy really a Champion? He seemed real damn fragile for one. Not that Wes had ever actually met a Champion himself, but he’d always been of the impression that they were…made of tougher stuff. Or something.
"̵A̷m̵ ̶I̷ ̷f̶r̷e̵e̶ ̵t̷o̵ ̸c̴o̴m̵e̸ ̷b̴a̴c̸k̴ ̶n̴o̸w̴?̶ ̸A̶r̵e̶ ̵y̶o̴u̶ ̴d̶o̷n̴e̴ ̵w̶i̸t̸h̴ ̶y̸o̸u̸r̸ ̷f̶l̵i̷n̸g̷?̵"̴ she questioned between chews.

She shot a look at Wes. When the actual fuck did he get here? She kept her eyes on him as she threw another handful of wafers in her mouth.

"̴Y̸o̴u̵ ̵r̷e̵a̸l̶l̸y̶ ̵d̵o̶ ̶h̴a̶v̴e̴ ̸a̵ ̵t̷y̴p̶e̷.̸"̴
He just about jumped out of his skin at the sound of the horrifying, crackly voice. He’d heard it only once before, but frankly that had been one time too many. His head whipped around to the source, and he tried and failed to suppress a shiver. Gods, this thing was creepy. Neo must have felt the same, because he pressed up against Wes’ leg and and growled softly.

And what was that about Odette having a ‘type’? In an attempt to appear unruffled, Wes leaned against the wall and replied as nonchalantly as possible. “Hate to break it to you, but there’s no chance in hell anything like that is going to happen.” He glanced at Odette. “No offense. I assumed the feeling was mutual.”
"̵B̶o̸d̴y̶ ̸o̸f̵ ̷C̸h̴r̵i̵s̷t̵?̶"̶ she asked, holding the jar out to him. She gave it a good shake, hoping it would alert his attention. "̷I̷t̸'̵s̸ ̵s̸a̵l̸t̸y̶ ̶a̶n̵d̵ ̷q̸u̶i̶t̸e̶ ̶f̵i̷l̶l̶i̸n̵g̷.̴"̶
Wes stared, then took one look at Steven’s pale face and turned to Odette. “Look, I’m gonna choose not to comment on your Pokemon’s weird habit of imitating you, but can you rein her in a little? I think she’s going to send him into cardiac arrest.”

Novo had been enjoying his conversation with Enora until he heard Wes shout. He turned and saw him snarling at the other trainers, his voice raised, and was about to rush over when Neo stepped in and attempted to calm him down. Worry needled away at him. Should he interfere? What was going on? Why was he so angry all of a sudden…?

Neo glanced in his direction and sent a telepathic wave of reassurance. It looked like things would be…okay. Not great, but not dangerous, either. Another message from his brother suggested that Novo take advantage of Wes’ distraction to do some investigating, as long as they didn’t go far. That sounded like a good plan.

Novo twitched his ears gratefully, then turned back to Enora with a chirp, relaying Neo’s reassurance to her. Perhaps now was a good time to give their bickering trainers some space and to do some digging? …That is, if she wanted to come along…? He let his question trail off on an uncertain, yet hopeful, note.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
And what was that about Odette having a ‘type’? In an attempt to appear unruffled, Wes leaned against the wall and replied as nonchalantly as possible. “Hate to break it to you, but there’s no chance in hell anything like that is going to happen.” He glanced at Odette. “No offense. I assumed the feeling was mutual.”
Odette Deadpan.PNG
She held up a defensive hand. "Rest assured, none taken. I'm good. She's an idiot." It was clear he was quite protective of whoever it was, and she wanted nothing to do with poking that Beartic again. She was tired of yelling and the hostility. They needed to get their proverbial shit together and stop being so aggressive.

Rich coming from her, but still.

Wes stared, then took one look at Steven’s pale face and turned to Odette. “Look, I’m gonna choose not to comment on your Pokemon’s weird habit of imitating you, but can you rein her in a little? I think she’s going to send him into cardiac arrest.”
Odile Neutral Frown.PNG
Odile raised a brow at Wes. She shoved a few more wafers in her face. "̵B̴u̵t̸.̵.̷.̵I̶ ̶d̷i̵d̷n̵'̸t̸ ̶d̸o̷ ̴a̷n̸y̵t̸h̸i̵n̷g̴.̸"̶ ̷She cut her gaze to Odette, her eyes shining with confusion. "̸R̵i̵g̴h̴t̶?̸ ̷I̵t̸'̶s̴ ̴n̷i̴c̸e̸ ̵t̴o̵ ̷o̴f̶f̷e̶r̷ ̸t̷h̴i̴n̵g̶s̸ ̷t̸o̴ ̸p̵e̵o̷p̵l̸e̶ ̵w̶h̴o̴ ̴d̴o̵n̶'̴t̸ ̸l̴o̵o̴k̴ ̸o̵k̴a̶y̸?̵ ̷A̸m̶ ̴I̷ ̴f̵u̷c̸k̸i̸n̵g̸ ̸c̷r̸a̴z̶y̴?̵"̸

Odette Deadpan.PNG
"There's nothing to rein in; she's not doing anything wrong. They know each other," Odette groused. In any other circumstance, she'd have pulled Odile away, but the demon was showing some very good manners at the moment. She wasn't going to punish her for it. Though Odette could blatantly see Wes was uncomfortable with Odile's presence, she'd also call it payback for him commenting on her height and calling her a hypocrite.

"As weird as it is, it couldn't hurt. Dude needs to eat."

Odile Beaming.PNG
Odette was defending her! That meant the amicable thing was working!

Y̷e̵s̴,̶ ̴y̸e̴s̵,̷ ̷e̸a̶t̶ ̷t̶h̵e̵ ̸t̴h̷i̵n̵ ̸b̵r̸e̶a̷d̷ ̸b̵i̵t̵e̴s̷.̴ ̴G̶o̵o̵d̷ ̵f̶o̵r̷ ̷t̶e̸e̸t̶h̷!̶ A̵l̸o̶l̵a̸ ̴C̷h̷a̸m̸p̸i̴o̶n̶ ̴A̵p̶p̸r̶o̸v̵e̵d̴!̵"̸

Odette Deadpan.PNG
Odette did a double take. "I never agreed to endorse fucking communion wafers, what...?"

Odile Neutral Frown.PNG
Odile ignored her and just spoke directly to Wes. "̸A̸n̵d̵ ̷i̴t̸'̶s̵ ̷n̵o̷t̸ ̷a̶ ̷w̷e̸i̸r̶d̵ ̷h̵a̸b̴i̸t̸.̷ ̶T̷h̷i̴s̵ ̵f̵o̶r̴m̷ ̸i̶s̵ ̸g̷e̵n̷u̷i̷n̵e̸l̷y̸ ̵v̷e̶r̸y̵ ̵c̶o̸m̶f̶o̶r̶t̸a̴b̴l̴e̶,̵ ̶s̴o̶ ̸m̴a̸y̶b̷e̷ ̸d̵o̴n̷'̸t̸ ̶b̸e̴ ̵s̶o̷ ̶j̵u̸d̶g̵y̶,̴ ̶s̶i̴r̵.̸ B̸e̴s̶i̸d̶e̴s̴,̶ ̸I̴'̶m̵ ̵m̶y̷ ̶o̶w̷n̸ ̵'̶m̷o̶n̶.̵ ̷I̷'̴m̸ u̷s̶u̷a̶l̶l̵y̴ ̶m̵u̸c̶h̷ ̴m̶e̵a̶n̶e̶r̶ ̷t̶h̷a̶n̷ ̴s̶h̸e̸ ̶i̶s̷.̴"̵

Odette Sus.PNG
Huh. No cursing. No threats. No weird phrases. Strangely cordial.

Something was wrong here.

"You're being polite. Why are you being polite. What did you do?"

Odile Beaming.PNG
"̴I̶ ̷s̴a̴w̵ ̶s̵o̵m̵e̶ ̶d̷u̴m̴b̸ ̸Q̸u̴a̵g̶s̴i̵r̸e̸ ̸a̸t̴ ̶t̶h̵e̵ ̸m̶a̴r̸s̶h̸ ̷a̴n̵d̸ ̸t̷h̸e̶i̸r̶ ̴d̴u̸m̵b̷ ̷s̸t̴u̴p̷i̵d̵ ̸f̸a̸c̴e̵s̴ ̸p̶u̴t̶ ̷m̷e̸ ̵i̴n̵ ̸a̵ ̷g̴o̴o̸d̷ ̸m̷o̶o̵d̶,̷"̴ She ate a few more bites. "̷B̵y̸ ̶t̷h̴e̶ ̴w̸a̵y̵,̸ ̵t̸h̷e̶ ̶m̵a̸r̶s̵h̸ ̶d̸e̵f̸i̷n̸i̸t̶e̷l̴y̴ ̵s̵m̶e̵l̴l̴s̸ ̵l̸i̸k̵e̷ ̶y̵o̶u̸r̵ ̵b̸o̸y̷f̷r̸i̵e̵n̵d̵'̶s̸ ̷s̷o̷c̴k̵s̴.̷ G̴u̴z̶m̷a̷,̵ ̴n̴o̸t̷ ̸C̷l̸o̸v̴i̸s̴.̸ ̶C̸l̸o̵v̶i̶s̸ ̸a̸l̵w̸a̷y̵s̴ ̶s̷m̶e̴l̴l̴s̴ ̶l̶i̵k̸e̵ ̶a̸ ̷b̵a̷b̸y̷ ̵g̸i̶g̶o̵l̴o̶.̴"̴

Odette Deadpan w Sweatdrop.PNG
"Right, because that just needed to be said, didn't it?"
Novo twitched his ears gratefully, then turned back to Enora with a chirp, relaying Neo’s reassurance to her. Perhaps now was a good time to give their bickering trainers some space and to do some digging? …That is, if she wanted to come along…? He let his question trail off on an uncertain, yet hopeful, note.
Enora Snarl.PNG
Enora had been ready to jump into action. She wasn't sure what they were yelling about, but she didn't like how Wes and Odette were getting at each other. Perhaps she'd jumped a gun about calling him a gentleman. How dare he make such comments?

However, she felt Novo nudge her. He chirped, and she understood. Neo had it under control? Did he really? He didn't know Odette and her issues, so that couldn't have been a good idea...

But, as quick as they'd started yelling, it all simmered out. Silent apologies were exchanged. She'd managed to reel herself back in before getting in too deep. That was a good sign.

And Novo did have a point about doing some investigating

With a huff, she reluctantly turned toward him. "Fine. We shall go. Quickly."

Attachments

• Odette Deadpan.PNG
    Odette Deadpan.PNG
    89 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Her brow furrowed as she watched him waver in his spot. He looked like he was going to tip, so she took it upon herself to grab him and pull him back down to sit. "Are you good?" she asked him, some concern leaking into her tone.

He didn't look good. Her and Wes screaming at each other wasn't helping at all. Plus, he'd already chugged the water, and he still looked exhausted.
Odile then noticed Steven again, siting on the bench and looking kind of flushed. Tired. Like he wasn't all there. She cut her eyes down to her jar, then back to him, before approaching the bench.

Steven was only distantly aware that Odette had asked him a question. He didn't register what she said, but he shook his head "no." No usually got people to leave him be. He wanted to be left alone, left out of whatever they were yelling about. He wanted to disappear--

He tensed as his own thoughts betrayed him; his heart was beating too hard in his chest. No, not that.

A flash of motion caught his attention and he flinched. Odette was waving something in front of him. He shook his head no again. He didn't want--

Wait. Pausing, he squinted up at who stood in front of him. No, not Odette... Her doppleganger. "...Odile?" he rasped.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Wait. Pausing, he squinted up at who stood in front of him. No, not Odette... Her doppleganger. "...Odile?" he rasped.
Odile Beaming.PNG
Odile beamed. "̸H̷i̵y̴a̷ ̴C̵l̴o̷v̸i̶s̷ ̴2̴.̶0̴.̷ ̸A̴r̵e̷ ̴y̵o̵u̴ ̴o̶k̸a̷y̷?̶ ̴Y̷o̴u̴ ̵d̶o̴n̵'̴t̵ ̷l̵o̵o̵k̵ ̸o̶k̴a̵y̸.̵ ̸I̶s̶ ̶i̴t̶ ̷t̵h̸e̵ ̸h̸e̸a̵t̶?̵ ̶I̸t̵'̵s̷ ̶p̵r̶o̶b̸a̷b̶l̵y̶ ̷t̵h̶e̶ ̵h̴e̵a̶t̷.̸ ̶Y̷o̵u̴ ̸m̸e̷n̸ ̶a̷n̷d̶ ̶y̵o̴u̷r̴ ̴s̸u̵i̶t̸s̸.̶"̷

Odile Neutral Frown.PNG
Come to think of it, she didn't actually believe it was the heat. She looked between him, Wes, and Odette. "̶A̶c̴t̶u̸a̵l̸l̶y̴,̸ ̴n̸o̶n̶e̵ ̵o̷f̵ ̶y̵o̷u̵ ̸r̴e̵a̶l̸l̸y̴ ̵l̸o̶o̷k̵ ̷o̷k̴a̸y̸.̵.̴.̸"̵'

There was the distinct stench of anger in the air. Had they all been yelling at each other? And she missed it? She hoped none of these fuckers screamed at her vessel, or she'd have to smother them.

Hm. The smell had faded. Now everyone just smelled...melancholy. That seemed to be the right word.

"̴S̷h̶e̵e̵s̷h̴,̵"̶ she breathed. ̵"̶T̷h̵i̵s̷ ̶i̵s̸n̶'̸t̴ ̵j̶u̴s̸t̷ ̸a̶n̶y̷ ̶d̴e̵p̷r̸e̵s̷s̴i̴o̶n̴.̸"̸ ̴She paused, something of a smug aura taking over her.

Odile Neutral Grin.PNG
"̷I̶t̶'̵s̷ ̵a̵,̸"̵ she suddenly dropped down to a low squat, before slowly rising again and running both her hands, jar and all, up her body, evidently trying to be as obnoxious as possible about it, ̸t̶r̶o̸p̴i̵c̸a̵l̴ ̶d̷e̶p̶r̶e̸s̵s̷i̴o̵n̷, h̴e̴e̷e̶e̷n̵n̶n̴n̴y̵y̵y̴y̸y̷y̷.̵"̷ she purred.

Odette Deadpan.PNG
"..."

Odile Neutral Grin.PNG
"̶G̷e̶t̷ ̷i̵t̶,̸ ̵'̴c̷a̴u̸s̸e̵ ̸w̷e̶'̸r̶e̴ ̷o̴n̴ ̴a̴n̶ ̴i̵s̷l̵a̸n̵d̷.̶"̷

Odette Neutral.PNG
Despite herself, she laughed. It was a sour laugh; one that signified how over it she was. Shaking her head, she suddenly stood up and walked around the bench to Odile and held her hand out to her.

"Give me the chicken."

Odile Sad.PNG
She very quickly lost her shit-eating vibe and took a defensive step back, her free hand grasping the gag toy at her side. "̷F̴i̶r̸s̴t̸ ̸o̸f̷ ̷a̸l̴l̷,̷ ̷h̵i̵s̶ ̸n̶a̸m̶e̵ ̵i̴s̸ ̴L̴u̵l̴u̶l̵e̷m̶o̷n̷.̵ ̵S̴e̴c̸o̷n̵d̵ ̴o̶f̶ ̸a̵l̸l̵,̶ ̵n̵o̶,̸ ̷I̷ ̷d̴o̷n̷'̴t̸ ̷t̸r̵u̸s̸t̴ ̴y̵o̸u̴.̷ ̷Y̴o̵u̶'̸r̸e̴ ̴g̷o̴n̷n̶a̶ ̷d̴o̴ ̸s̵o̷m̷e̴t̸h̵i̵n̵g̴ ̴t̶o̴ ̸h̸i̵m̸.̶"̵

Odette Neutral.PNG
"No, no, I swear I'll give him right back, I just want to look."

She stood still, glaring, until Odile hesitantly dropped the rubber chicken into her hand. Odette took a moment to examine it, nodding a few times before abruptly smacking Odile's shoulder with it, causing it to squeak. She did it twice before handing it back.

Odile Scary 1.PNG
"̸Y̸o̴u̴ ̷s̴w̵o̸r̵e̵ ̸y̴o̴u̶ ̴w̷o̶u̵l̶d̴n̸'̴t̶ ̸d̵o̶ ̵a̶n̴y̵t̵h̶i̴n̷g̴ ̴t̸o̸ ̸h̷i̸m̸,"̶ Odile whined as she snatched the chicken back.

Odette Neutral.PNG
"And I didn't," Odette chortled. "I did something to you. With him. There's a difference." With that, she stepped toward Steven, set on helping him stand back up.

Odile Scary 1.PNG
Her sad expression morphed into something far more angry, and she touched the side of her head. "̷O̷k̸a̶y̷,̶ ̷t̸h̸e̸ ̸t̶e̸e̷t̶h̷ ̶a̷r̵e̶ ̷s̴p̷e̵a̸k̵i̷n̷g̷ ̵t̸o̷ ̴m̷e̴ ̷a̸g̶a̸i̶n̴.̴ ̸T̵h̶e̸y̵'̸r̶e̴ ̴s̷a̷y̴i̶n̴g̴ ̵y̶o̵u̷'̸r̵e̴ ̴a̶ ̶f̵r̴i̶g̴i̷d̷ ̸b̴i̵t̴c̸h̷.̵"̴

Odette Deadpan.PNG
She rolled her eyes. "Sounds about right. Anything else?"

Odile Scary 1.PNG
"̷Y̵o̷u̶-̷-̴"̷ ̶Odile stammered, tripping over her words as she tried to craft some sort of insult that would annoy Odette enough to provide some karma for beating her with a rubber fucking chicken. "̴Y̵O̴U̴ ̴L̷O̸O̸K̸ ̸L̵I̷K̵E̸ ̵F̶A̸T̸ ̸W̴E̶D̷N̶E̵S̸D̴A̷Y̶ ̷A̴D̵D̷A̵M̷S̵.̷"̸

Odette Deadpan.PNG
Odette nodded, almost knowingly as she picked up her backpack and put it back on. "Yeah. Can you help Fat Wednesday Addams get Steven back to his dorm?" she asked.

Once situated with her bad, she gently grabbed Steven by his wrists and pulled him up to stand, briefly tightening her hold to assure he wouldn't fall. He was dazed--dissociated, maybe. But he was coherent enough to recognize Odile, and enough to stand somewhat firmly. When she was sure she had him balanced, she looped around and draped his arm across her shoulders. Not difficult, provided their height difference.

"Or stand there and gawk, it's fine. I'm sorry I whacked you with a rubber piece of poultry."

Odile Scary 1.PNG
For a moment, Odile didn't want to do a damn thing Odette asked her to. She wanted to stand there and pout, and eat the rest of her wafers. But, she'd been in such a good mood. Odette only got on her because she'd made that joke, which was STUPID, because it was a FUNNY JOKE, and it was meant to MAKE THEM LAUGH for REAL.

But then she apologized. It was half-hearted and she probably didn't fully mean it, but Odile was a sucker for Odette's apologies.

"̷F̶i̶n̵e̸.̵ ̷B̵u̵t̸ ̶o̷n̸l̷y̵ ̵b̵e̴c̶a̵u̸s̵e̶ ̷h̴e̷ ̵l̷o̶o̵k̴s̶ ̵l̶i̷k̶e̸ ̴d̴e̵a̶t̸h̸.̶ ̶A̶n̸d̵ ̷s̷o̷ ̶I̷ ̶c̷a̸n̸ ̷g̶o̷ ̴b̴a̶c̴k̵ ̷t̵o̸ ̴o̶u̵r̵ ̴r̷o̸o̴m̵ ̸a̵n̶d̷ ̴p̷o̸u̶r̸ ̶c̴o̵n̵c̶r̵e̸t̴e̷ ̸o̷n̶ ̵y̷o̴u̸r̷ ̶m̶a̷t̵t̸r̵e̴s̸s̷.̵"̷

She closed the top of her wafer jar and stomped over, setting herself up on Steven's other side and draping his other arm over her shoulders.

Odette Deadpan.PNG
"The perfect place for a frigid bitch to sleep."

Odette finally eyed Wes again. Not as hostile this time. They'd apologized, she'd gotten her petty payback, and now it was time to just let bygones be bygones. She wasn't here to fight; she was just here to get the fuck home.

"Feel free to follow. Or don't. But, we'd be wise to walk back together, though, after all this chastising about going off alone." That could have been a joke, and maybe it was. "I'm gonna stop at the store and get him a candy bar or something." And more bottles for herself.

See, watch these two short bitches carry him back without an issue, she wanted to say. But, her willpower to bite her tongue had returned, so there was no need.

So much for talking with him and trying to clear the air.

Perhaps doing so with a stressed out Hoenn Champ around, and with all of their brains scrambled, wasn't the place anyway. Not that it mattered; surely he'd want nothing to do with either of them anymore, and that was fine with her.

She turned her head just in time to see Enora and Novo run off down another path. On instinct, she stepped to chase after them, but stopped. Enora would be fine, and she was with somebody else. They were probably just going to do a quick sweep of another area. It was fine.

She just stepped onward, back toward the dorms.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Odile raised a brow at Wes. She shoved a few more wafers in her face. "̵B̴u̵t̸.̵.̷.̵I̶ ̶d̷i̵d̷n̵'̸t̸ ̶d̸o̷ ̴a̷n̸y̵t̸h̸i̵n̷g̴.̸"̶ ̷She cut her gaze to Odette, her eyes shining with confusion. "̸R̵i̵g̴h̴t̶?̸ ̷I̵t̸'̶s̴ ̴n̷i̴c̸e̸ ̵t̴o̵ ̷o̴f̶f̷e̶r̷ ̸t̷h̴i̴n̵g̶s̸ ̷t̸o̴ ̸p̵e̵o̷p̵l̸e̶ ̵w̶h̴o̴ ̴d̴o̵n̶'̴t̸ ̸l̴o̵o̴k̴ ̸o̵k̴a̶y̸?̵ ̷A̸m̶ ̴I̷ ̴f̵u̷c̸k̸i̸n̵g̸ ̸c̷r̸a̴z̶y̴?̵"̸

"There's nothing to rein in; she's not doing anything wrong. They know each other," Odette groused. In any other circumstance, she'd have pulled Odile away, but the demon was showing some very good manners at the moment. She wasn't going to punish her for it. Though Odette could blatantly see Wes was uncomfortable with Odile's presence, she'd also call it payback for him commenting on her height and calling her a hypocrite.

"As weird as it is, it couldn't hurt. Dude needs to eat."
Wes raised his hands. “Right, okay, fine. Sorry. Didn’t realize you all…knew each other.”

Of course they did. Wes couldn’t help but wonder if he was the only one that wasn’t familiar with everyone else from the Trousselin by now…well, no, that wasn’t true. His other self probably wasn’t friendly with anyone.

That wasn’t exactly a high bar to clear, though.

Wes shoved his hands into his pockets with a sigh. He was…tired. Tired of other people, of making a mess of things without ever meaning to, of everything on this stupid, miserable island. He just wanted to go home.

…Huh. Home. Had he ever thought of Orre that way before?

No. Orre was not what came to mind when he thought of “home.” Instead, he thought of a person…

He sighed again. That was another mess he’d have to clean up, sooner or later. Another mess of his own making.
"Feel free to follow. Or don't. But, we'd be wise to walk back together, though, after all this chastising about going off alone." That could have been a joke, and maybe it was. "I'm gonna stop at the store and get him a candy bar or something." And more bottles for herself.
There was no missing the frostiness in her tone. Not that Wes could blame her, and after her outburst, the feeling was mutual. Sticking around with this angry shortstack and frazzled Champion was the last thing on earth he wanted to do, but he had to admit she had a point about not being alone. He pushed off the wall with a huff. “Yeah. Sure.”

He frowned when they reached the front doors and saw Enora and Novo sitting there, waiting for them. “Where did you…? Nevermind. Glad you’re back safe and you didn’t go alone, but for the love of Arceus, tell me before you run off somewhere.” Gods have mercy, he’d only said as much a thousand times…

And with that, the group shuffled their way out the door, Odile assaulting their eardrums with obnoxious showtunes all the way back to the rooms.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom