• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Inner Focus Training Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"...at least Gen's a hero. And the heroes in my world. And May. And Tapestry. But..." Coleane looked down at the ground, trying to make sense of what was being said.

"...what are humans, if not heroes?"

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
"...what are humans, if not heroes?"
"I..." What could he say? What should he say? Christ, what could he do?

"Coleane, I–"

"They are survivors," Evie cut in, her tail flicking behind her. "They are inventors, they are adaptable, smart, mischievous, kind. They are monsters, evil, cruel and horrid. Humans have the capability to do anything if they put their minds to it whether good or bad, their determination and motivation can drive them to do things what most would think impossible. They can be guardians, jailers of beasts and criminals yet they can be destroyers, uncaring and wild. Their minds are unpredictable but that is what makes them human. Humans are prime survivors, able to take anything life throws at them and mold it to help them, help others. Humans are simply human.

And humans are survivors."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"But...I thought they were all heroes..."

Letting out a wail, Coleane flapped her wings and took to the skies, fleeing the group.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Seb slid back a bit from the wind current Coleane left behind, covering himself with an arm. After it subsided, he calmly extended a hand to the sky. “Coleane…” He frowned, closing his eyes.

Zack turned away, letting the wind move his crest. There was a mixed expression of confusion and sadness on his face. “Maybe she was lookin’ for another kind of hero?”

Day 2 ~

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
<><><><><>​

Alright, so... investigating. Jade really didn't have the first clue on where to begin with investigating. None of her experience back home was relevant here. Not when her time on the Rebellion revolved around a known enemy with a known location. Finding clues was so much easier when you already knew where to look.

So she ended up texting Laura to meet her at the training grounds. At the end of their first meeting, the older girl had offered to exchange numbers. After puzzling out how to even get phone service on the island. Which hadn't occurred to Jade since she hadn't checked her Pokégear since arriving.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Huh. It was kinda weird getting a good text from a friend for once, instead of corporate or scambot messages or some horrible bullshit from Dad. A friend... An ally, at least. Friend would be nice, though.

Laura had no trouble making the decision to head down to the training area. It helped that Mal was itching to battle, and no doubt Sleet was too, wherever she was.

"Hey Jade!" she called, as she spotted the other girl near the building. A little more confident, this time. After all, she had – once again – been invited. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting! Find anything?"

Malachai kept looking about, his long neck turning towards any vantage point for someone snooping on them.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jade waved back. "Uh, not yet. I haven't actually started searching yet," she admitted sheepishly. The idea of investigating alone was vaguely uncomfortable, but maybe that was just her old Rebellion training at play. Best to stay in mission groups.

At Laura's side was a massive Noivern. Like, bigger than any non-Legendary she'd seen. Imposing enough on all fours, but when it straightened up to look around, its height even rivaled the legendary birds she was so used to seeing. ...Hopefully her staring didn't come off as rude.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Probably for the best," Laura replied, fidgeting with her wrist. "Better to stay in groups, right? God it feels so bloody weird to be worried about getting, you know. Vanishing."

Malachai, satisfied with their apparent safety, turned his attention to Jade, and her stare.

<Perhaps you are, like many humans, unaccustomed to a creature of my size?> he asked, with what Laura recognised as a smirk. Prick.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jade started a bit at the thought-speak. Now that was rare for a non-psychic.

"Ah, you'd be surprised," she said with a small chuckle. Not that she really felt like getting into spending so much time around the Pokemon that a lot of people thought of as gods.

She turned her attention back to the training grounds, none of which were in use right now. Guess people have more important stuff to worry about today...

"I'm not really sure what to be keeping an eye out for," Jade admitted. "Signs of a struggle on the beach was one thing, but this place is pretty much made for battling."

Nine was already poking around for clues, although he did glance up at the new arrivals as they approached.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Malachai made an inquisitive rumble, but the Jade had already moved on. He huffed, and examined her companion. An interesting electric-type to be sure, with avian features on a 'mon so evidently not a bird.

<Perhaps we could grant ourselves time enough to battle, before nightfall,> he ventured. Something told him there was disproportionate power in that small frame.

Laura shushed him with a stern look.

"It's hard to say," she said, in reply to Jade. "But if we found out who's used the facility recently, it could alibi them. I guess I was most interested to find out if anyone's used the TM library here. It'd be pretty sloppy to leave evidence of having fired up a TM that later gets associated with a crime scene, but everyone makes stupid mistakes. Even whoever the fuck is taking people."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jade nodded as she followed Laura toward the outdoor lobby. Right, yeah, that made sense. It wasn't like there was anywhere else to get supplies from while everyone was stuck on this island. Unless the culprit had ties to Legendaries. Then it was anything goes.

Nine had glanced up at the huge dragon, ears pricked. "*We haven't had a real battle since we arrived.*"

"There's been other stuff to worry about," Jade replied with a sigh. Still, it would be good for him to get the chance to burn some energy in a real fight. Draining his lightning into the air or the ground wasn't the same.

"So Laura, you've... done this sort of investigating thing before, haven't you?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Uh, sorta..." Laura scratched her shoulder and dropped her eyes. "Most of my snooping around was online, you can find out a ton of shit with enough persistence on a search engine. Not really helpful here, though..."

<There's more. Take pride, girl.>

...Fine. Augh.

"But," she continued, teeth gritted, "eventually I got a sponsorship with Perihelion – the motherfuckers who took my cat – so I'd get opportunities to step inside some of their buildings. Turns out that even just a guest pass can let you get away with some shit. More, if you swap out the RFID with a card nicked off a member of staff."

Laura sniffed, and ground the pad of her thumb against her index knuckle until the joint popped.

"It wasn't exactly a holiday."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Oh, so it wasn't as different as the situation with the Rockets as she'd thought. First time facing an unknown enemy for both of them, then.

"I'm not used to not knowing where to look. There was never any question of that, it was just a matter of not getting caught," Jade replied, rubbing her arm.

~~~~~

While the humans were talking, Nine had dropped to all fours and began scouring the training grounds, hunting for signs of any attacks landing outside the usual arenas. Anything broken or damaged...

Nine used Foresight!
@Flyg0n

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura chewed her lip, not sure if it was okay to ask out of pure curiosity. But Jade was already talking about it. It was fine, probably.

"What was it you were looking for, when you did that kind of thing?" she asked. "I keep wondering if the guys you've messed with are anything like my lot." But that scar. "But I don't really get that vibe, I guess."

Malachai had set himself down to rest his limbs. Despite feigning disinterest, Laura could feel the presence of his telepathic attentiveness. He wanted to know more about the girl who'd met 'mon of his stature.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
"Oh, uh..." Jade felt the instinctive discomfort rise in her chest, the urge to brush it off, or make it sound like no big deal, or change the subject, the way she did when people occasionally picked up on her habits. But this was one of the few people outside her normal friend circle who'd actually get it. So she swallowed her hesitation and said, "I got recruited to help sabotage the group that was making genetic experiments like Nine." She motioned to the Pikachu still searching around. "I had full access to their headquarters and everything. From a contact on the inside, obviously. No way I could've gotten in on my own."

Laura had found out about a dangerous group and gone looking for answers all on her own, without anyone leading the way. That was... a lot more ambitious than anything Jade had done.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura's eyes widened. "A whole organisation, with real resources? So... You worked alongside others, did real missions? All I've done is spy a little, I'm no saboteur! And holy howls, if there's a whole group with that goal, it must be pretty high stakes shit."

<Did she battle?> whispered Malachai, still feigning disinterest.

"Ask her yourself, coward," deadpanned Laura.

The noivern snorted irritably. <Very well. Jade Arens of Kanto, have you fought in battle in service of your goals? Are you and your partner... proficient?>

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Oh, so it wasn't as different as the situation with the Rockets as she'd thought. First time facing an unknown enemy for both of them, then.

"I'm not used to not knowing where to look. There was never any question of that, it was just a matter of not getting caught," Jade replied, rubbing her arm.

~~~~~

While the humans were talking, Nine had dropped to all fours and began scouring the training grounds, hunting for signs of any attacks landing outside the usual arenas. Anything broken or damaged...

@Flyg0n

Nine used Foresight!

Everything in the training grounds appeared to be in place. Which was to say it was chaotic. Marks on the walls from attacks, disturbed earth and battered training dummies. But there didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary to see.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Jade blanched. “I… yeah?” Something about the dragon’s steely gaze made her straighten. “We did—we are. We’re still fighting.” She’d already resolved to never run away again. Not while the people closest to her were risking their lives.

Nine had returned to where Jade and Laura were talking, and from the looks of his expression, he hadn’t found anything of note in his searching. Jade couldn’t help noticing his eyes sliding up to the huge Noivern.

“I can try to explain more later, but first…” She forced a smile. “How about that battle?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura set her mouth in a determined grin. Never complacent, but confident, that was the key. She'd give that experimental pikachu (!) a run for his money no matter what he was packing.

"You're on," she replied.

<Excellent,> came Malachai's satisfied growl. <I grant the right of first blow!>

Laura rolled her eyes at his grandstanding, but her blood already ran fierce. Battle! She struck a pose on reflex, her Galar Circuit experience speaking through her, and cast out a splayed hand.

"Take flight, my noivern!" she cried, as if to an audience. Who had time to be self-conscious when you got to battle someone like you?

<><><><><>​

D4: This Chihuahua has TEEF (Odette vs. Noro)

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Odette Neutral.PNG
They might as well have turned these indoor arenas into dance studios. The floors really were perfect; she couldn't get over it.

She finished it out her her series of a la Seconde turns with a leg hold, before bowing out into a tilt, which she ended up stumbling out of. She gave a gruff breath as she kicked the ground.

"Can't even blame the floor, that was just me that time," she said in a huff.

Enora Neutral Grin.PNG
"I still thought your lines were very clean."

Odette Neutral.PNG
"That's something," she said, sliding down into a middle split. "Maybe I'm just not stretched."

She eyed Kimiko, sitting nearby on one of the observer benches, with a thoughtful shine in her eyes. "I actually don't turn that often in the routines my team does, but I like to stay on top of my technique for the outside stuff we do." She dropped down to her elbows and began to thumb her chin. "Though, I should be a responsible person and practice what I already know if this season's routine. I bet they fucking finished it already, so I'm gonna have to play catch up..."

If you make it back, that is.

She abruptly pushed herself back up. She really shouldn't be thinking like that. She needed to be thinking about how she was going to prevent that.

Odette Deadpan.PNG
"We should probably figure out a game plan while there's nobody else around," she said in a borderline whisper. The entire arena stood empty, undoubtedly because everyone was still down at the cove. "Maybe go back to the dorms for extra safety..." Wire taps were definitely still a thing. Though, who's to say there weren't wire taps in her room?

Hm. She should go looking for those. She knew what they looked like, so it wouldn't be hard.

"Also, where the fuck is Odile?"

The stupid weed wasn't in the bush when they'd gone to leave, and was now nowhere to be found. This seemed like the most likely place for her to come, if not the marsh. So much for sticking together. Idiot.

Enora Thinking Frown.PNG
"I didn't see where she went, but I haven't heard anybody scream yet..."
Odette Deadpan.PNG
She sighed yet again. She was doing that a lot today. As she did, she kicked her legs back together and pushed herself back up to stand. "More turns so I don't fucking lose it," she declared as she stepped into another series of pirouettes.

Odile Bat.PNG
As Odette began to spin around, Odile rolled into the arena from one of the side entrances. Without a word, she tumbled up to her vessel, and began to roll around her in the opposite direction she was spinning.

"̷L̷o̶o̷o̵o̸o̶o̸o̵o̴o̸o̷k̷ ̷w̷e̷'̶r̴e̸ ̶s̴p̷i̵r̵a̴l̶i̵n̵g̸ ̴o̸u̵t̸ ̸o̴f̸ ̵c̴o̶n̴t̶r̷o̶o̵o̶o̸o̷l̶l̵l̷l̴,̵"̴ she droned on.

Odette Deadpan.PNG
Odette stopped herself with her foot and shot a glare down at Odile. "Fancy seeing you here, pain in my ass. What happened to 'do not move from this spot'? Where'd you even go?"

Odile Bat.PNG
"̴I̷ ̸C̷A̷N̸N̸O̷T̶ ̸B̴E̶ ̸S̴H̷A̷C̶K̷L̶E̷D̴ ̵D̷O̴W̴N̵ ̷B̷Y̶ ̷T̸H̶E̴ ̴W̴O̵R̵D̸ ̶O̴F̴ ̸L̷A̸W̵,̷"̷ Odile bellowed, continuing with her rolling. Rolling was proving to be much more fun than flying, though it might have just been because she was still a little sleepy. "̷A̶n̶d̴ ̶t̵o̸ ̴t̷h̵e̶ ̵w̸o̸o̶d̴s̶.̵ ̶T̶o̶ ̴s̸l̶e̶e̸p̵.̷"̷

She didn't need to offer anything else other than that.
Odette Deadpan.PNG
"Yeah, but you can be shackled by the word of your ball."

Well, she was here now, and really, if she were lying she probably would have come up with a much more exaggerated excuse. Being that she was so sluggish, Odette could believe that she really had flown off to go sleep in a tree somewhere.

With a roll of her eyes, she went back to her spins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom