• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Hunger Switch Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Our trainer's the best! He'd never let anything happen to us!" Merian said with an enthusiastic wag of his tail.

Nico simply nodded. "I concur. Although our usual living circumstances are... difficult, Wes has proven time and time again to be of the utmost pure heart..." He glanced off to the side, and continued, "At least with pokémon. Humans, he's not so good with."

Bao regarded them carefully for a moment. They seemed genuine, and like they truly cared for 'Wes'. That was enough for him. Anyone who took care of pokemon was fine in his book. Except... Wes still felt suspicious to him. Everyone did, and there was so much uncertainty... But his Officer Jenny would figure things out. It would be fine. And Maybe this 'Wes' guy was fine too.

To his delight, he saw his Officer Jenny finally rise from her table and approach. Once she was close, she held out her hand for Wes to shake. "Hi there!" she said amicably. "I'm the Officer Jenny who's helping to keep an eye on things for this festival. You can just call me Jenny though. If you need anything, I have an office here on the island. What's your name?"

Despite her friendly demeanor, there was a certain firmness and confidence she carried herself with that suggested she was quite perceptive and strong.

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Once she was close, she held out her hand for Wes to shake. "Hi there!" she said amicably. "I'm the Officer Jenny who's helping to keep an eye on things for this festival. You can just call me Jenny though. If you need anything, I have an office here on the island. What's your name?"

Wes stared at the Officer. He'd been fine with the Manectric, since there hadn't seemed to be any issues, but this...

He didn't want to cause any unnecessary trouble, so he stiffly shook her hand.

When he spoke, it was in a terse, cold tone. "Hello, Officer. ...You can call me Wes."

--

Merian found himself staring at Bao, perhaps for a while longer than was necessary.

He hadn't realized just how interesting Manectric were. So cool...

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
"Pleasure to meet you both," Ayumi replied. The moment Kimiko's hand grabbed hers, Ayumi felt a strange sensation coarse through her being. Dusana felt it too but Ayumi was quick to distract herself.

"I managed to hear quite a bit of what was happening on the other side of the ship," she sighed. "It certainly sounded like quite the riot. Vera tried getting in on the action, but she returned in one piece. Too small to notice amidst the already ongoing chaos would be my guess," she added with a light chuckle.

Ayumi gestured to Vera to come to her. Vera was hesitant, but ultimately followed after stuffing her face full of sausages.

"Oh, you don't know the half of it," Kimiko said, attempting another laugh. Might as well try to downplay it now. It was hectic and very much not fun at the time, but it's over and nothing had happened since. She stared at the tiny bulbasaur. "I certainly didn't notice her! It's probably for the best she wasn't seen, though. It was... not quite your traditional battle. Not exactly the safest place for someone so small."

"Désolée," she said. A slight cringe. "Erm, sorry." She quickly leaned down and picked the bud off the floor and held it up--broadcasting the whole reason she came over. No more, no less.

"Dropped this. Excuse me."

She went to turn to leave.

Someone had knelt down under their table, sending Olivia into cries of distress and drawing Kimiko's attention. But it turned out, she had no interest in stealing anyone's bacon. The knots in her stomach returned the second she recognized who had approached them this time. It didn't seem like she was feeling angry, though... her strange pokemon had remained by their table, perhaps?

As she turned to leave, Kimiko very nearly grabbed Odette by the arm in her startled haste, but caught herself just shy of actually touching her. "Wait, please!" she sputtered. She turned back to the little party at her table. "Would you excuse me for a moment?" She stood up and moved a few paces away - not far enough to be rude, but just enough to make clear that she wanted to address Odette with at least the illusion of privacy.

Well... now what? Her face began to turn red again as she stood there looking at the wall, trying to figure out where to begin. She crossed her arms over her chest - wait, no, too unwelcoming. She settled for wringing her hands together instead.

Why was apologizing so damn hard?

She spotted what looked like an officer talking to Wes’ clone. Maybe someone had reported him after all?

Focus, damnit!

Well, she'd better say something, or Odette would just move on. "Listen, I... I'm sorry I ran off yesterday. Your pokemon... freaked me out. It was rude and I'm really sorry, and... well, do you mind if I... asked you some things about her?"

Last edited:

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"Wait, please!"
Odette Pissed 2.PNG
She stopped short. After a stunned pause, she tilted her chin down toward her chest and began muttering under her breath. "Je jure devant des putains de dieux, le monde est là pour m'avoir, je ne peux jamais putain de gagner, il n'y a jamais de sursis, je veux juste rentrer à la maison, je veux juste..."

She turned around, her expression morphing into something more daunting. "What?"
Would you excuse me for a moment?" She stood up and moved a few paces away - not far enough to be rude, but just enough to make clear that she wanted to address Odette with at least the illusion of privacy.
Oh, she wanted to talk? One on one, huh? Still well within earshot of the others, but talking nonetheless. What was there to even discuss?

Her face began to turn red again as she stood there looking at the wall, trying to figure out where to begin.
Again, red as a brick. There was clearly no plan in place here, judging by the way she absolutely refused to make eye contact. Maybe she was scared. Maybe she was embarrassed. Actually, it had to have been a mix of both. She clearly had SOMETHING to say, or she wouldn't have held Odette back like this. But that didn't stop the fact that she still had to be distressed by what she'd seen last night.

She crossed her arms over her chest - wait, no, too unwelcoming.
Yes, definitely still anxious. Not confident enough to stand before her and address the demon in the room, but making herself do so anyway in spite of it all. Odette supposed she could respect it. In some way.

She settled for wringing her hands together instead.
Mm, she must have realized how that looked; at least she was at least somewhat aware of her own body language. A good trait to have. But Odette wouldn't say this change was much better. Odile did that when she was feeling some type of way that wasn't "ADHD, kill everything, cause a scene", if there was even a specific term for it. The embarrassment must have been taking over.

Or maybe...she was guilty?

"Listen, I... I'm sorry I ran off yesterday. Your pokemon... freaked me out.
Odette Deadpan.PNG
Mm. Seems it was the guilt.

"I'm well aware," Odette said in a huff. She'd do Kimiko a solid and not cross her arms, but she sure as shit shoved her hands into the pockets of her sweater. "She's a demon; it's not exactly shocking. You're not the first and you won't be the last."

It was rude and I'm really sorry, and... well, do you mind if I... asked you some things about her?"
Definitely the guilt.

Odette quirked her brow at the apology. She surely wasn't anticipating it sounding so sincere. She had to admit, though...it made her feel much better that Kimiko had the heart to do it. It was one thing to be afraid of something one had never seen before, especially if they looked as fucking demonic as Odile did, but it was another to put the fear aside and apologize for acting out because of it. And even more so, to ask about it.

Her dread slowly replaced with a sense of respect. And with the respect, she might as well be straightforward.

The tension deflated from her shoulders, and she dropped her chin back toward her chest for a moment. She sighed loudly, deeply, before looking back up at Kimiko again.

"Are you talking about your multiple universe theory?" she queried. "Or how the sight of Odile fills you with a sense of anger? And that you've seen her before?"

She realized that she was exposing herself for eavesdropping, so she pointed to her ear that didn't currently have an earbud in it. "When you're raised by a cop, you learn to have stellar listening skills. Sorry."

Enora Neutral Frown.PNG
Enora noticed that Odette was now speaking with some of the folks from the night before. For the moment things looked calm, but she wouldn't take any chances. She sprinted over and sat herself down by Odette's feet, quietly glancing back and forth between Kimiko, Wes, and the other one who'd sat with them. Her eyes soon fell to the ones under the table, and she craned her neck questioningly. She then saw the bacon, and her face lit up.

Enora Beaming.PNG
"Oh, I have a splendid idea," she said to herself. While Odette was trying to make peace, she could do the same without going too far.

She rushed back to her table, shooting a careful look at Odile, who was STILL staring at that guy on the wall, and grabbed her half eaten plate of bacon with one of her ribbons. On her way back, she was careful to hold it steady. No right minded lady would eat food off the floor.

She slowly approached Olivia, Neo, and the other new Pokemon, and set the plate down.

"Good morning! I see you're enjoying a lovely feast. Would it be alright if I joined you? I bring seconds!"

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Wes stared at the Officer. He'd been fine with the Manectric, since there hadn't seemed to be any issues, but this...

He didn't want to cause any unnecessary trouble, so he stiffly shook her hand.

When he spoke, it was in a terse, cold tone. "Hello, Officer. ...You can call me Wes."

--

Merian found himself staring at Bao, perhaps for a while longer than was necessary.

He hadn't realized just how interesting Manectric were. So cool...

"Good to meet you, Wes." If Jenny was bothered by his stiff handshake or cold tone, she didn't show it. "You're with the group that arrived yesterday, right? I hope you enjoyed your time here so far." Despite the small talk, there was a curious gleam in her eye. Not suspicion, but more like a careful curiosity. "You're not one of the folks who's from this world, are you?"

Bao had been focused on his Officer Jenny, until he noticed the Umbreon staring at him intently. "Are you... okay?"

Last edited:

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
"Good to meet you, Wes." If Jenny was bothered by his stiff handshake or cold tone, she didn't show it. "You're with the group that arrived yesterday, right? I hope you enjoyed your time here so far." Despite the small talk, there was a curious gleam in her eye. Not suspicion, but more like a careful curiosity. "You're not one of the folks who's from this world, are you?"

He grunted before responding, "No, I'm not from here. Got into a fight yesterday, but other than that, it's been alright."

Bao had been focused on his Officer Jenny, until he noticed the Umbreon staring at him intently. "Are you... okay?"

Merian squeaked and quickly looked away; he could feel his heart rate quickening. "Uh... y-yeah, I'm fine."

--

Nico, noticing the sudden change in Merian's demeanor, looked quizzically at him, ears twitching.

Last edited:

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
"She's a demon; it's not exactly shocking. You're not the first and you won't be the last."
Well, at least Odette hadn’t just told her to suck it. Instead, she’d stayed and listened, although at first it was clear she didn’t have high expectations.

This detail came as only a mild surprise. Kimiko couldn’t recall if she’d ever heard Odile was actually a demon in their previous meeting. It sure felt like that in her nightmare though. But of course, nightmares weren’t reality.

The tension deflated from her shoulders, and she dropped her chin back toward her chest for a moment. She sighed loudly, deeply, before looking back up at Kimiko again.

"Are you talking about your multiple universe theory?" she queried. "Or how the sight of Odile fills you with a sense of anger? And that you've seen her before?"

She realized that she was exposing herself for eavesdropping, so she pointed to her ear that didn't currently have an earbud in it. "When you're raised by a cop, you learn to have stellar listening skills. Sorry."

Oh. Oh. She’d heard everything Kimiko had said. Fuuuuuu-

Actually, despite turning her face redder than a voltorb, maybe that wasn’t the worst thing in the world, now that they were in contact. It saved her a lot of awkward explanation.

“Oh… you heard that, huh?” Kimiko said meekly. She took a deep breath and straightened her posture, finally looking Odette in the eye. “Yes… I swore I’d seen both of you before, but when I saw her up close, I just… yeah, I got angry. And it freaked me out. And last night, I had a nightmare. And your Pokémon was there.” She shook her head, forcing the memory down, and resumed eye contact. Odette had the decency to allow her to explain, she was damn well going to make her best impression this time.

“I don’t know what she is, but I know it wasn’t your fault. And honestly, she hasn’t even really done anything. I just feel really on edge when she’s nearby.” A quick glance over at the little tumbleweed bat. “I wonder if it’s something she can control. It’s… I can still feel the anger, it’s still there, but it’s much less intense than it was yesterday. What kind of Pokémon is she?”

View attachment 3120
"Oh, I have a splendid idea," she said to herself. While Odette was trying to make peace, she could do the same without going too far.

She rushed back to her table, shooting a careful look at Odile, who was STILL staring at that guy on the wall, and grabbed her half eaten plate of bacon with one of her ribbons. On her way back, she was careful to hold it steady. No right minded lady would eat food off the floor.

She slowly approached Olivia, Neo, and the other new Pokemon, and set the plate down.

"Good morning! I see you're enjoying a lovely feast. Would it be alright if I joined you? I bring seconds!"

Olivia looked up, surprised to find herself annoyed at the interruption, but her giddiness returned upon seeing who had joined them. The pretty sylveon with the shiny coat! Olivia was jealous, but she had overheard her trainer asking about it already, so surely she would get the same treatment and care for her coat soon enough.

Oh, please!” Olivia said. “Always happy to have more friends! Especially when they bring presents!” She eyed the fresh plate of bacon Enora had brought with her. “I don’t remember if I got your name! I’m Olivia! You’re very pretty!”

Last edited:

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
"Oh, you don't know the half of it," Kimiko said, attempting another laugh. Might as well try to downplay it now. It was hectic and very much not fun at the time, but it's over and nothing had happened since. She stared at the tiny bulbasaur. "I certainly didn't notice her! It's probably for the best she wasn't seen, though. It was... not quite your traditional battle. Not exactly the safest place for someone so small."
Ayumi laughed alongside her. "Yes, probably." Ayumi reached down to massage the space between Vera's ears, an act that caused the bulbsaur to stop what she'd been doing to slump right into Ayumi's hand.

"Dropped this. Excuse me."

She went to turn to leave.
She removed it to give a polite wave to the girl who'd just shown up. She didn't make any attempts to stop her when she immediately turned to leave.

Vera sniffed at the new eon before giving a small approving bark. Her bulb rustled in excitement and she wanted to fight, but food now. Food was more important.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Actually, despite turning her face redder than a voltorb, maybe that wasn’t the worst thing in the world, now that they were in contact. It saved her a lot of awkward explanation.
Odette Deadpan.PNG
Poor girl. She'd be so much better at saving face if she knew how to control that trigger happy blush of hers.

“Oh… you heard that, huh?” Kimiko said meekly. She took a deep breath and straightened her posture, finally looking Odette in the eye. “Yes… I swore I’d seen both of you before, but when I saw her up close, I just… yeah, I got angry. And it freaked me out. And last night, I had a nightmare. And your Pokémon was there.”
Another sigh, and she averted her attention away. How was she supposed to explain this politely?

"Ikea," she said simply. She let the word linger in the air for a moment before locking her eyes back on Kimiko's face. "Does that ring a bell?"

She shifted her weight uncomfortably and began to scratch her cheek. "You did see her. And me. I don't think we spoke because you were keeping your distance, but I'm entirely sure I saw your face." Her brows lowered. "You saw the fight. Between me and that fucking cannibal. He tried to kill me, so I sent Odile out. Remember that? I would bet my title that that's what your dream was about, even if you don't remember it clearly."

Odette stiffened her posture, allowing more of an air of confidence to come to her voice. It was more than obvious she was knowledgeable on the subject. "The bottom line is your musings about 'hopping universes' is correct. No party here came from the same world, and some parties are parallel copies. If that wasn't clear."

She side-eyed Wes and pointed over her shoulder. "That fucking tree over there? Parallel copy of you. I am more than 100% certain. I've met parallel copies of some of my own friends in these places. They look just alike to be able to tell that they're parallels, but wildly different at the same time." Her eyes followed the point of her thumb warily. "Same 'mon, same look, similar outfit. But he's clearly your crazy mirror version, sorry to say."

Her features scrunched into a more serious look. "If that freaks you out, good. If it wasn't obvious, absolute crazies get rounded up to join these things." She stifled a dry laugh, because she knew damn well she counted among them. Not the craziest of them all, but probably up there.

"Last time I joined, I picked a fight with a serial killer--yes, a fucking cultist serial killer, because apparently cults flourish fucking everywhere--" there was a sense of unprecedented bitterness behind those words, and she didn't bother to elaborate. "--and he turned into a worm and tried to eat me. I would be creeped out myself, but I come from a world where weirder shit happens and I'm possessed by the Pokemon equivalent of the fucking devil; I've maxed out on creepy."

An apologetic look was sent to Kimiko. "I don't mean to indirectly be the thing to haunt your nightmares. Honestly. I'm sorry you had to bear witness to all of that. If I'd had any other choice, that wouldn't have happened. But I had to defend myself."

“I don’t know what she is, but I know it wasn’t your fault. And honestly, she hasn’t even really done anything. I just feel really on edge when she’s nearby.” A quick glance over at the little tumbleweed bat. “I wonder if it’s something she can control. It’s… I can still feel the anger, it’s still there, but it’s much less intense than it was yesterday. What kind of Pokémon is she?”
She supposed that was a good way to segue into Kimiko's follow-up question. A can of worms, but a can of worms she guessed she had no issue explaining. The better people understood what Odile was and how she functioned, the better.

"No, when she's like this, she can't do anything. She's just..." a frown. She lightly shook her head. "She's scary. There's no other way to look at it. But the anger you feel, there's a reason for it."

Odette Thinking.PNG
"Have you ever heard of the Seven Deadly Sins? Is that a thing where you're from?" she asked. "Well, if it isn't, let me recap." The knowledgeable tone returned, much more prominent this time. "There's a religion in my world that speaks of 7 vices that are the root of all evil." She held up her hand and began to count on her fingers. "Sloth. Lust. Gluttony. Greed. Envy. Pride."

A very noticeable pause. "And Wrath."

She dropped her hand. "Where I come from, there are seven legendaries that embody these vices. The Blood Legendaries, as they've been dubbed." She sent a look toward Odile, and grew silently thankful that she was still idle.

"Odile is the legendary Venira, the Pokemon of Wrath. She embodies all things anger, rage, fury, you name it. It's nothing she can control; it's just what she is." Her look grew sheepish as she locked eyes with Kimiko once more. "I have anger issues. Severe. You can do the math as to why."

Now for the weird part. The part that usually started the aversion. "As if it weren't strange enough, her typing is also unique. They're not called the 'Blood Legendaries' for the edge of it; it's their type. Blood types. Remember when I said she has no access to her abilities unless I give them to her? Well."

She held up her hand again and pulled down the sleeve of her sweater, revealing that same blood pressure monitor she'd had on her wrist yesterday. "In the form she's in now, she couldn't battle. She has no...erm...what's the word..." she started snapping. "Pouvoir? La magie?" She pinched the bridge of her nose, and it suddenly came to her. "Mana. I suppose the word would be mana. Basically, she can't access the ability to...well, use a move. All she can do is go back and forth between that bat form and...the uncanny version of me you saw yesterday. She can do standard...passive ghostly things, if you will. But she couldn't fight. Well, I mean, hypothetically speaking she could pick up a weapon and go nuts, but she thinks that's too easy."

Odette Nervous.PNG
Mmmm, that wasn't the right thing to say.

"Not that she would. She's fine now. I swear. I'd kill her otherwise."

Odette cleared her throat. "Anyway."

She scraped her shoe against the ground and tilted her head quizzically. "What I'm trying to say is that she has no access to her abilities until she has access to the blood of her vessel." She pointed to herself unenthusiastically. "Which would be yours truly."

Her hands defensively shot up before anybody could exclaim outright. "Sounds like fucking vampirism, I know, but she doesn't get that access until I say so. At least that much is consensual. And I have to watch it because, well, blood loss can kill a person." She pointed to the monitor. "Hence."

The franticness left her voice as her hands returned to her pockets, and her demeanor became significantly more tense. "No, I didn't ask for this. It was more like an ill fated fluke. She's been with me since I left the womb, and I only found out about her...3 years ago? That sounds right. Walking around with the anger problems of a demon for twenty-two years and finding out it's because of an actual possession is extremely jarring. I wouldn't recommend it," she said dryly.

She held her arms out to her sides. "So I hope I was able to efficiently answer your question. And I hope I was efficiently able to, uh...clear the air. Not the most settling thing to learn, but...I hope you at least understand. And I'll answer any more questions you have to make sure you understand." She suddenly looked defeated as her eyes trained on the floor.

"That was my whole reason for coming here in the first place, honestly. Before I knew I was universe hopping."
Oh, please!” Olivia said. “Always happy to have more friends! Especially when they bring presents!” She eyed the fresh plate of bacon Enora had brought with her. “I don’t remember if I got your name! I’m Olivia! You’re very pretty!”
Enora Beaming.PNG
Enora had a little hop in her step as she moved under the table. "A gracious guest always brings a gift," she said. "Please, help yourselves!"

Her tail swished happily at Olivia's comment. Flattery usually didn't get people anywhere, but with Enora...who was she to not accept such a lovely compliment? "You're too kind!" she tittered. "But you must give yourself some credit too; your coat is exquisite! I'm Enora, and you are?"

Vera sniffed at the new eon before giving a small approving bark. Her bulb rustled in excitement and she wanted to fight, but food now. Food was more important.
Enora eyed the little Bulbasaur and resisted the urge to coo affectionately. What an adorable little thing! She'd only met a Bulbasaur once in trainer school, and it wasn't nearly as small as this one. Absolutely precious!

"Nice to meet you too! Do you have a name?"

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
He grunted before responding, "No, I'm not from here. Got into a fight yesterday, but other than that, it's been alright."

Merian squeaked and quickly looked away; he could feel his heart rate quickening. "Uh... y-yeah, I'm fine."
Officer Jenny nodded carefully. A thoughtful look came across her face, as if she were considering something carefully. Evaluating Wes, as well as his pokemon. "Well as long as no more fights happen, I think you'll be fine." She spoke a bit slower, as if she wanted to say more, but wasn't sure... Could a small prodding might sway her? "Anyways, have fun out there!" she added cheerfully. "Your pokemon seem to care about you a lot, so you're okay in my book."

Bao cocked his head, a sort of frown crossing his jaws. "You seem worried. Or anxious?" he wasn't sure, but Merian's behaviour seemed different somehow. Something he couldn't put his paw on. Merian wasn't up to no good was he!?

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
Enora eyed the little Bulbasaur and resisted the urge to coo affectionately. What an adorable little thing! She'd only met a Bulbasaur once in trainer school, and it wasn't nearly as small as this one. Absolutely precious!

"Nice to meet you too! Do you have a name?"
Vera nodded enthusiastically and let out a small series of grunts and barks at the sylveon. She then stole most of the bacon off her plate in a single bite.

She liked this sylveon.

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Officer Jenny nodded carefully. A thoughtful look came across her face, as if she were considering something carefully. Evaluating Wes, as well as his pokemon. "Well as long as no more fights happen, I think you'll be fine." She spoke a bit slower, as if she wanted to say more, but wasn't sure... Could a small prodding might sway her? "Anyways, have fun out there!" she added cheerfully. "Your pokemon seem to care about you a lot, so you're okay in my book."

The slight change in behavior was not lost on Wes. He tilted his head slightly as he answered, "Hm. Were you going to say anything else? You seemed... uncertain on if you were going to add more."

Bao cocked his head, a sort of frown crossing his jaws. "You seem worried. Or anxious?" he wasn't sure, but Merian's behaviour seemed different somehow. Something he couldn't put his paw on. Merian wasn't up to no good was he!?

Merian tried, and failed, to answer with anything resembling a coherent sentence, only managing to get out jumbled syllables. He soon gave up on trying to speak, and buried his head in his paws.

--

Nico smirked while he watched that happen.

At first sight, huh? I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything else...

He turned to Bao. "You'll have to excuse him, he's a bit... embarrassed at the moment."

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
After the quiet dinner last night, Nate was actually feeling kind of hopeful that he might get a quiet, very much free breakfast. Naturally, the first thing he saw upon walking into the place was a fucking cop. So that was a great start to the morning.

He just had to play it cool. No reason anyone around here would recognize him. (He really, really hoped no one was going to follow up on the boat bullshit.) Nate forced himself not to mess with his hat and took a table by himself about as far away from the cop as he could get. Which, as a bonus, put him a healthy distance away from Knife Guy, too. Looked like he was the one the police had chosen to hassle today. Maybe they'd be useful for something for once in their fucking lives.

Nate loaded up his plate and hung around, waiting for the coffee to do its work, while Mightyena scarfed down breakfast sausages at an impressive rate. At least it seemed like people were more or less getting along this morning. Nate couldn't remember the last time he'd seen so many eeveelutions in one place.

There was weird talk in the air, though. People talking about, what, other dimensions? "Multiverses?" Nate grimaced. Was this actually some kind of woo-woo culty retreat sort of thing? Nate grimaced. Knife Guy didn't really fit in with that whole vibe, but maybe he'd been sent here to calm down or something. Great. Like Nate hadn't been itching to get out of here anyway.

He kept working on his coffee, eavesdropping for all he was worth and hoping, this time, that he wasn't going to accidentally end up staring some cranky fucker in the face.

---​

Mightyena licked the grease from her plate, contemplative. She could make Nate get her more sausages, but she wasn't feeling hungry right now. What she really wanted to do was meet more people... without letting Nate out of her sight. Nate, unfortunately, never wanted to meet people. Mightyena huffed a sigh and looked longingly over at where a whole gaggle of eevees was hanging out together, apparently having a great time. She shifted unhappily on her seat, glancing over at Nate, who wasn't paying her any attention, absorbed in his own thoughts.

It didn't look like he was going to get into any trouble, but then again, this was pretty much how he'd looked the last time she left him behind. Mightyena looked once again at the big, happy group of trainers and their pokémon. There were other people around, too--Mightyena's lips briefly pulled back from her teeth as she recognized the eevees that had attacked Nate the other day. But there were a few other people scattered around, too, most of them eating on their own.

One in particular caught Mightyena's attention: a dragon! They didn't actually look that dragon-y at the moment, though. Not exactly majestic; more sad, and maybe a little pathetic. That didn't seem right. If something was making a dragon worried, it had to be serious.

Mightyena shot Nate a meaningful look that he failed to notice. He'd better not move from that spot. He'd better not cause any trouble. The dragon was only a couple tables away, so Mightyena would see right away if he got into any trouble. But he'd better not.

Mightyena slipped out of her seat and prowled along under the tables. "Hello," she said, coming up alongside the big, shaggy dragon. "You look kind of worried. Is something wrong with your trainer?"

@Flyg0n

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
The slight change in behavior was not lost on Wes. He tilted his head slightly as he answered, "Hm. Were you going to say anything else? You seemed... uncertain on if you were going to add more."

Merian tried, and failed, to answer with anything resembling a coherent sentence, only managing to get out jumbled syllables. He soon gave up on trying to speak, and buried his head in his paws.

--

Nico smirked while he watched that happen.

At first sight, huh? I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything else...

He turned to Bao. "You'll have to excuse him, he's a bit... embarrassed at the moment."
Jenny sighed. Sensing her change in demeanor, Bao glanced at her. It dawned on him what she was thinking, and he tugged at her pants leg. To his dismay, she ignored his warning.

She took a deep breath, then spoke carefully, as if uncertain if she should ask. "So this might sound like a silly question, but hypothetically, would you leave the island here right after you arrived, before even eating? Like say, you came here but then left right away? Before doing anything?"

Bao rolled his eyes. Oh well, let his Officer Jenny ask her hypotheticals. No harm he supposed.

He turned his attention back to Merian. "Why are you embarassed?" he asked, cluelessly. "I don't make fun of mon, if thats what you're worried about." Bao glanced at Nico, still puzzled. "Why is your brother so embarassed?"

You missed something, stupid.

Oh no, what had he missed? Something important? Still, he kept his posture relaxed. He wasn't going to let on how perplexed he was.

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
She took a deep breath, then spoke carefully, as if uncertain if she should ask. "So this might sound like a silly question, but hypothetically, would you leave the island here right after you arrived, before even eating? Like say, you came here but then left right away? Before doing anything?"

"...Huh. Weird question, but... I don't see the point in doing something like that. You'd have already spent the time and effort to get here, so it's only logical you'd stick around for a while, right?"

He turned his attention back to Merian. "Why are you embarassed?" he asked, cluelessly. "I don't make fun of mon, if thats what you're worried about." Bao glanced at Nico, still puzzled. "Why is your brother so embarassed?"

Nico chuckled lightly. "Ah, usually I'd be happy to explain, but I don't think I should just yet. Even for my brother, this is very sudden, and I suspect he doesn't want to make you uncomfortable."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Mightyena licked the grease from her plate, contemplative. She could make Nate get her more sausages, but she wasn't feeling hungry right now. What she really wanted to do was meet more people... without letting Nate out of her sight. Nate, unfortunately, never wanted to meet people. Mightyena huffed a sigh and looked longingly over at where a whole gaggle of eevees was hanging out together, apparently having a great time. She shifted unhappily on her seat, glancing over at Nate, who wasn't paying her any attention, absorbed in his own thoughts.

It didn't look like he was going to get into any trouble, but then again, this was pretty much how he'd looked the last time she left him behind. Mightyena looked once again at the big, happy group of trainers and their pokémon. There were other people around, too--Mightyena's lips briefly pulled back from her teeth as she recognized the eevees that had attacked Nate the other day. But there were a few other people scattered around, too, most of them eating on their own.

One in particular caught Mightyena's attention: a dragon! They didn't actually look that dragon-y at the moment, though. Not exactly majestic; more sad, and maybe a little pathetic. That didn't seem right. If something was making a dragon worried, it had to be serious.

Mightyena shot Nate a meaningful look that he failed to notice. He'd better not move from that spot. He'd better not cause any trouble. The dragon was only a couple tables away, so Mightyena would see right away if he got into any trouble. But he'd better not.

Mightyena slipped out of her seat and prowled along under the tables. "Hello," she said, coming up alongside the big, shaggy dragon. "You look kind of worried. Is something wrong with your trainer?"

Drampa, who had been resting his head against his trainer, looked up as the Mightyena approached. "Oh, hello!" he rumbled, his voice deep yet gentle. "Apologies. My trainer is just sad today. She was really looking forward to meeting one of the other trainers you see. However, it seems they had to leave unexpectedly. I am sure her mood will lift soon..." He smiled reassuringly. A small part of him felt a little bad. Cheering up Reena was his job, he hadn't meant to disturb anyone else's festivities.

At the sight of the friendly Mightyena, the young girl brightened slightly. "Ooooo hello! you're so cute!" she exclaimed. "What a good puppy!" She reached out a hand to pet her.

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"...Huh. Weird question, but... I don't see the point in doing something like that. You'd have already spent the time and effort to get here, so it's only logical you'd stick around for a while, right?"

Nico chuckled lightly. "Ah, usually I'd be happy to explain, but I don't think I should just yet. Even for my brother, this is very sudden, and I suspect he doesn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"See!" Jenny declared, turning to Bao. "I told you." She grinned triumphantly and nodded to herself.

Bao shook his head to himself and rolled his eyes playfully, before turning back to Nico and Merian. What didn't they want to- Oh. Ohhhhh. Ohhhhhhhhhh. "Oh I get it now! But you don't have to feel embarrased about that, its perfectly normal. Happens all the time. You wanted to battle me! I'm an Officer Jenny's Manectric and you wanted to test yourself." He nodded sagely, feeling proud of his deduction. Who wouldn't want to challenge him and his Jenny? They were awesome together!

"But I'm afraid I'm not supposed to get in battles here. My trainer says I need to keep myself strong in case anything bad happens."

Meanwhile, unaware of Bao's conversation, Jenny continued. "Sorry for the weird question, but I was thinking the same thing. Why leave suddenly before doing anything. Thank you though, for your honest answer. I figured you seemed the sort to give an honest response. I don't want to take up any more of your time, so enjoy yourself! The food here is amazing."

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Bao shook his head to himself and rolled his eyes playfully, before turning back to Nico and Merian. What didn't they want to- Oh. Ohhhhh. Ohhhhhhhhhh. "Oh I get it now! But you don't have to feel embarrased about that, its perfectly normal. Happens all the time. You wanted to battle me! I'm an Officer Jenny's Manectric and you wanted to test yourself." He nodded sagely, feeling proud of his deduction.
"But I'm afraid I'm not supposed to get in battles here. My trainer says I need to keep myself strong in case anything bad happens."

Nico blinked, taken aback. "...No, that's not what--"

Merian, who seemed to have gotten over the worst of his embarrassment, spoke up now, though he still didn't make direct eye contact with Bao. "I'd-- I mean, we'd love to battle you some other time, then! I'm sure you're super strong..."

"Sorry for the weird question, but I was thinking the same thing. Why leave suddenly before doing anything. Thank you though, for your honest answer. I figured you seemed the sort to give an honest response. I don't want to take up any more of your time, so enjoy yourself! The food here is amazing."

Wes just nodded with a curt response of, "See you around, then."

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Drampa, who had been resting his head against his trainer, looked up as the Mightyena approached. "Oh, hello!" he rumbled, his voice deep yet gentle. "Apologies. My trainer is just sad today. She was really looking forward to meeting one of the other trainers you see. However, it seems they had to leave unexpectedly. I am sure her mood will lift soon..." He smiled reassuringly. A small part of him felt a little bad. Cheering up Reena was his job, he hadn't meant to disturb anyone else's festivities.

At the sight of the friendly Mightyena, the young girl brightened slightly. "Ooooo hello! you're so cute!" she exclaimed. "What a good puppy!" She reached out a hand to pet her.
Mightyena was cute! In fact, she was the cutest puppy of all, as Nate had told her often enough. It was always nice to be recognized. Mightyena shoved her head up under the girl's hand, directing her pets to spots that most desperately needed them.

"Well, that makes sense," Mightyena said to the dragon. "Of course she'd be sad if she didn't get to see her friend! Who are they?"

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
"Ikea," she said simply. She let the word linger in the air for a moment before locking her eyes back on Kimiko's face. "Does that ring a bell?"

The scene hit her like a truck as the sudden realization crossed her features. That's right. She'd been having a good time with that little chikorita who reminded her of Thorn... Saltriv? Yeah, that was the one. Odette and Odile had been there, too.

She shifted her weight uncomfortably and began to scratch her cheek. "You did see her. And me. I don't think we spoke because you were keeping your distance, but I'm entirely sure I saw your face." Her brows lowered. "You saw the fight. Between me and that fucking cannibal. He tried to kill me, so I sent Odile out. Remember that? I would bet my title that that's what your dream was about, even if you don't remember it clearly."

Well, her nightmare didn't feature a giant worm, but rather two birds, but she'd get to that in a minute. She wanted to let Odette explain without interruption. She'd been kind enough to oblige, and Kimiko didn't want to lose this chance. And, more importantly, it was polite.

Odette stiffened her posture, allowing more of an air of confidence to come to her voice. It was more than obvious she was knowledgeable on the subject. "The bottom line is your musings about 'hopping universes' is correct. No party here came from the same world, and some parties are parallel copies. If that wasn't clear."

She side-eyed Wes and pointed over her shoulder. "That fucking tree over there? Parallel copy of you. I am more than 100% certain. I've met parallel copies of some of my own friends in these places. They look just alike to be able to tell that they're parallels, but wildly different at the same time." Her eyes followed the point of her thumb warily. "Same 'mon, same look, similar outfit. But he's clearly your crazy mirror version, sorry to say."

Her features scrunched into a more serious look. "If that freaks you out, good. If it wasn't obvious, absolute crazies get rounded up to join these things." She stifled a dry laugh, because she knew damn well she counted among them. Not the craziest of them all, but probably up there.

Kimiko side-eyed Wes and... Wes, the former who had been unusually silent during all of this, and the latter who had been engaged with the officer. Curiously, it didn't appear as though she was attempting to arrest the maniac. Odette was right; between Red and Wes (well, at least one of them... as for the one she'd been spending time with, he was still an unknown), there sure were a lot of questionable individuals rounded up for these multi-verse events. She hadn't even considered the possibility of alternate versions of herself. Again, though, a matter for another time.

"Last time I joined, I picked a fight with a serial killer--yes, a fucking cultist serial killer, because apparently cults flourish fucking everywhere--" there was a sense of unprecedented bitterness behind those words, and she didn't bother to elaborate. "--and he turned into a worm and tried to eat me. I would be creeped out myself, but I come from a world where weirder shit happens and I'm possessed by the Pokemon equivalent of the fucking devil; I've maxed out on creepy."

An apologetic look was sent to Kimiko. "I don't mean to indirectly be the thing to haunt your nightmares. Honestly. I'm sorry you had to bear witness to all of that. If I'd had any other choice, that wouldn't have happened. But I had to defend myself."

Odette spat the words venomously, and it was here that Kimiko did decide to interrupt. "Oh, believe me, I know all about murderous cults," she said with a grimace. She didn't elaborate either; no need to bore Odette with details of her kidnapping. She figured Odette would understand, especially now.

She held up her hands, stopping the other girl again. "No, no, you don't have to apologize. You had every right to protect yourself, of course! I can't judge you for that."

"No, when she's like this, she can't do anything. She's just..." a frown. She lightly shook her head. "She's scary. There's no other way to look at it. But the anger you feel, there's a reason for it."

Oh, here it comes, the answers she'd been waiting on. Hopefully. She clasped her hands behind her back, and waited.

"Odile is the legendary Venira, the Pokemon of Wrath. She embodies all things anger, rage, fury, you name it. It's nothing she can control; it's just what she is." Her look grew sheepish as she locked eyes with Kimiko once more. "I have anger issues. Severe. You can do the math as to why."

Now for the weird part. The part that usually started the aversion. "As if it weren't strange enough, her typing is also unique. They're not called the 'Blood Legendaries' for the edge of it; it's their type. Blood types. Remember when I said she has no access to her abilities unless I give them to her? Well."

She held up her hand again and pulled down the sleeve of her sweater, revealing that same blood pressure monitor she'd had on her wrist yesterday. "In the form she's in now, she couldn't battle. She has no...erm...what's the word..." she started snapping. "Pouvoir? La magie?" She pinched the bridge of her nose, and it suddenly came to her. "Mana. I suppose the word would be mana. Basically, she can't access the ability to...well, use a move. All she can do is go back and forth between that bat form and...the uncanny version of me you saw yesterday. She can do standard...passive ghostly things, if you will. But she couldn't fight. Well, I mean, hypothetically speaking she could pick up a weapon and go nuts, but she thinks that's too easy."

Kimiko tilted her head curiously. Odile was a legendary pokemon? One that was essentially powerless without Odette's permission, no less. Strange, but she supposed she'd seen more bizarre things herself... although she hadn't expected such a restriction to hinder a legendary.

She'd have to ask about the blood-type thing later, too. Was that literal? An elemental typing? The fact that she'd mentioned ghostly abilities disarmed her for a moment, and she cast a concerned glance towards Odile. Well, if she was a ghost-type (half ghost-type?), that certainly didn't help her bad vibes.

Mmmm, that wasn't the right thing to say.

"Not that she would. She's fine now. I swear. I'd kill her otherwise."

Odette cleared her throat. "Anyway."

Kimiko actually smiled a bit when Odette backpedaled. She must surely have some anxiety herself over revealing all of this. The blonde was impressed how well she'd managed to conceal it up to this point.

Her hands defensively shot up before anybody could exclaim outright. "Sounds like fucking vampirism, I know, but she doesn't get that access until I say so. At least that much is consensual. And I have to watch it because, well, blood loss can kill a person." She pointed to the monitor. "Hence."
The franticness left her voice as her hands returned to her pockets, and her demeanor became significantly more tense. "No, I didn't ask for this. It was more like an ill fated fluke. She's been with me since I left the womb, and I only found out about her...3 years ago? That sounds right. Walking around with the anger problems of a demon for twenty-two years and finding out it's because of an actual possession is extremely jarring. I wouldn't recommend it," she said dryly.

Well, if she'd been dealing with this for a few years now, she'd likely know whether or not Odile was manipulating her or not, right? She figured, at least for now, it really was a choice Odette could control. That at least brought some comfort.

She held her arms out to her sides. "So I hope I was able to efficiently answer your question. And I hope I was efficiently able to, uh...clear the air. Not the most settling thing to learn, but...I hope you at least understand. And I'll answer any more questions you have to make sure you understand." She suddenly looked defeated as her eyes trained on the floor.

"That was my whole reason for coming here in the first place, honestly. Before I knew I was universe hopping."

The poor girl looked miserable at the end of her speech. Kimiko couldn't blame her. She thought she'd had it bad. She couldn't imagine living with that for her entire life. Not that it was a competition - she'd been through her share of bullshit, too. But not every single day of her life.

Her expression softened as her confidence slowly returned. "So, she's the embodiment of wrath, and can detect and amplify that feeling in others, whether she wants to or not." Well, she had to at least have some control over it, or she'd be feeling a need to smash something right about now. Right? Or was there something else at play here? Either way, that explained it. It honestly made her feel a little bit better - she hated how she'd yet to regain the control she used to have over her emotions, but it had never been that extreme.

"To be frank, if she's as powerful as she appeared to be back in that previous, uh, battle, my boyfriend and I could certainly use someone like her back home. I'm sure she'd get a thrill out of taking on a completely different cult." Not that she had any idea what kind of cult Odette was referring to, but that wasn't really the point.

Now that she understood, however, she was more curious than anything. "Well, I do have one question... you said she's a blood-type? I know you meant that pretty literally, but does that have any impact on her elemental typing? Like, is blood-type an element with strengths and weaknesses, like psychic, fairy, all that?

"Oh, and I'm not... entirely sure what you mean by 'your reason for coming here'? I figure everyone here was just trying to take a vacation. I doubt anyone willingly signed up for some kind of multiverse madhouse.

"Anyways..." she smiled at Odette, genuinely this time. This conversation had gone a lot more smoothly than she had dared hope for. "Thank you. You honestly had no obligation to tell me any of this. I really appreciate it. And I... I hope we can put it behind us."

Kimiko looked over the other girl again noting her dancewear for the first time. She felt a little awkward again; she had no idea how the other girl was going to respond. Still, might as well see if she could make a friend out of all this. "So... working out this morning? Or, wait, maybe a dancer? I could never, don't have any kind of coordination. Mostly I just walk around the stage. Been told I've got a good singing voice, though."

She cast one more glance over towards Odile. They were all gonna be here a while, and Kimiko honestly liked Odette. She was a little blunt, but honest and respectful. It wouldn't be easy, but she'd have to just do her best to control her anger issues. Gods know she needed to practice reigning in her emotions, anyway.

Enora had a little hop in her step as she moved under the table. "A gracious guest always brings a gift," she said. "Please, help yourselves!"

Her tail swished happily at Olivia's comment. Flattery usually didn't get people anywhere, but with Enora...who was she to not accept such a lovely compliment? "You're too kind!" she tittered. "But you must give yourself some credit too; your coat is exquisite! I'm Enora, and you are?"
Vera nodded enthusiastically and let out a small series of grunts and barks at the sylveon. She then stole most of the bacon off her plate in a single bite.

She liked this sylveon.

"I'm Olivia!" she trilled, turning her head to observe her own body. "Aw, you think so? My human is always brushing me and stuffs, but it sounds like you get a lot of attention! And you have great tastes in gifts!" She leaned down to eat some more, and paused in surprise - the plate Enora had brought with her was nearly empty! Where could the bacon have gone? Had she and Neo eaten it all already? There had only been three plates!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom