• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fall 2020 Mafia - Game Thread

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
1. windskull (Shimmer)
2. DawningWinds (Iona)
3. Persephone (Kekoa)
4. Equitia (Ashwood)
5. Fusion (Koraza)
6. Waffle (Luna)
7. DeliriousAbsol (Enigma)
8. Tanuki (Desper)
9. Shiny Phantump (Salac)
10. SparklingEspeon (Detective Looker)
Oh, my count was off, ten players I could see there maybe being three Mafia. :/ Though I still think two is a bit more likely, it really depends on the roles.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Desper shook his head at it all. ‘T’s like he’d been tossed back to last time. “Y’all, ‘f we vote now, odds’re we’ll hang ‘r own. Y’on’t wanna shoot a sheriff, do ya?”

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[[OOC: I’ve been away and have a lot to catch up on. From my skim, Perse said something sus, but I haven’t read that yet, so no comment. Last game, day one was basically entirely dedicated to deciding mathematically if killing day one would be good or bad, and it’s absolutely bad.

We don’t have any information. Throwing accusations to see how they react is a strategy, but it’s nothing to go off. I’d much rather wait until we have stuff happening to go off. Like if Equita (I think they threw the first stone at Perse) dirs tonight, it’d be reasonable to think mafia went for someone suspicious of one of there own.

Right now, though, we don’t have any substantial info, and killing one of our own is doing mafia a favor.]]

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
“Y’all think a gang’s dumb ‘nough to ‘fend their own?” Desper chuckled. “Hell, y’get a bounty on y’r head, I’on’t care ‘f we been horsin’ since we hatched. I’m turnin’ you in quicker’n a cowpolk lassoes a bronco.”

[[OOC: Y’all are basically assuming the mafia are idiots with this strategy. The first thing a mafia would do when their own gets questioned is make it look like they’re not affiliated. Jumping immediately to their own defenses is incredibly stupid, especially since you’ve already stated in the thread that’s what you’re trying to get them to do.

This strategy doesn’t give us hardly any of the info you’re claiming it does, and pushing it this hard is extremely suspicious. I’m eyeing DW, but not voting because I have no info on them. A gut feeling is not a good reason to slant the mafia/town ratio in favor of mafia.

The fewer innocents we kill, the more they have to, and the more info we get from info roles. Killing day one is a bad idea.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
This strategy doesn’t give us hardly any of the info you’re claiming it does, and pushing it this hard is extremely suspicious.
I mean, it's not like I pushed it super hard last time and got suspected for it. :/ WAGONS! Wagons are great for studying, you can look at that to help find scum. DISCUSSION! You have a lot better posts to read people based off when they're actually discussing the players themselves, instead of just lynch vs no lynch. It doesn't always all have to be about the roles. They're helpful, sure, but they don't win the game on their own (usually). And no, scum aren't always going to jump to they're teammate's defense- they might jump to the defense of a town to create fake connections, or maybe they won't jump to anyone's defense. But it's something, and something leads to more discussion, which leads the town to being able to read each other better, which leads to scum getting caught.

Also, if you're sus of me, just. Vote. Me. Even if you don't intend to keep it at the end of the day, you'll get to see how I respond, and how I take being voted can give you a better read on me.

And I'm not pushing for a random lynch. RVS is fun, but it does a terrible job lynching accurately. I'm pushing for people to discuss and vote for who they find suspicious.

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
Enigma observed everything from the bough of a comfy tree, sitting back with his paws tucked behind his head. Everyone was oddly on edge, not surprising, really. He wasn't exactly a stranger to assassination, but knowing that any of the pokemon and... creatures... standing below him were likely to pick someone off was oddly unsettling.

He scratched his mane as he mulled it all over. The argument between the weird lanky creature, Iona, and that hat-wearing raichu had really drawn his attention. At the rate the human was ranting, she was likely to get herself killed. Although if she wasn't innocent, would that really be a big deal? On the other paw, the raichu seemed twitchy and on-edge. A lot of what he said made sense, but he seemed on the brink of flying off the handle. Enigma was no stranger to that kind of behaviour. A guilty party will always try to desperately cover their tracks, flying into a blind panic. It took a special sort to keep a steady mask. If the weird white-haired creature was right and spirits were involved, then they'd not exactly chosen a stable individual to take control of.

Put off killing a suspicious individual for one night? What... so they had a chance at assassinating one of the others present? That kind of statement didn't settle well with the banette.

Enigma chuckled to himself and shifted in the tree, his hidden bell tinkling lightly. If anyone was suspicious, it was Desper.

[[I hadn't realised this had started yesterday morning. Please excuse my delay!]]

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Just want to mention under the vote count that Persephone currently has a soft vote for Tanuki.

(I'll do a strat and RP post later. Prob in an hour or two.)

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
Soft vote. Haven’t made it a hard one yet and probably won’t until the day is in the home stretch.

I don’t have experience with smaller games. I don’t know if that tilts the calculus towards or against no vote on Day 1. So I’ll work through thoughts with numbers

Start of Day 2:
No daykill D1: 2 Mafia / 7 Town or 3 Mafia / 6 town
Miskill D1: 2 Mafia / 6 Town or 3 Mafia / 5 Town
Scumkill D1: 1 Mafia / 7 Town or 2 Mafia / 6 Town

In all cases where there are three mafia, the odds look really bad. Assuming, for balance sake, there are two, a daykill either puts town into a bad but still potentially salvageable situation or right on the cusp of victory. Doing nothing keeps the situation decent enough, as 2-7 seems salvageable after another night of info roles.

I’m still not entirely sure how this shakes out. Leaning No Daykill, but if people think there are three mafia then a Scumkill D1 might be the only way to stay in a not-godawful position.

Ignoring shields and vigilantes for the moment for simplicity’s sake.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
I just noticed this before you posted, and definitely worth noting. I don't like CWAC (or when most of a player's posts are pure fluff I'm not really sure which applies to Fusion). It's useless and hurts town. And is really commonly used by Mafia.

I have literally never played Mafia before, nor have I even seen any previous games. I'm just playing my character, mostly. I'm still learning how everyone else thinks before I try and make big brain plays.

I also have no idea what CWAC means.

[[Kora really had no idea what Desper was saying, and that cowboy had a track record riddled with being a bit of a jerk, but at least him being on the side of not killing someone immediately resonated with Kora. He'd keep his guard up, but it's not like it's hard for him to let it down. Whatever this was, was definitely gonna be tricky. "I, think, I'm agreeing with Desper on this one. If there are killers out there, then killing someone who isn't a killer only works in the killers' favor."

It doesn't help his case that the only ones he actually knew here were Desper and Salac. Add Shimmer to the list of trustworthy faces, and that clears fours members outright for him. Well, it should, but he really couldn't shake the feeling that any of them could still be possessed by an evil spirit. The humans, on the other hand, were basically mixed bags. Humans are strange creatures to begin with, and Kora found it pretty possible that any or all of them could be murderers. All he knew was that he wasn't, and anyone voting to not kill probably wasn't either.

This was already starting to make his head hurt.]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[
Before we get too deep into fun murder times or whatever though. Why don't we just... talk?"

"I don't want any happy fun murder times," Ashwood said. "Just... gah!" They buried their face in their hands. Time had passed, but the hallucinations hadn't faded. The Pokemon, the haunted house, and the strange ghostly lights in the air still remained. Ashwood was still here. Oh god, what was happening?

"Talk. Talk is good," they said and sat down near the others. "Might distract me from my mental breakdown. Do... do any of us have any idea what to do? I don't want to kill anyone, but --"

But. For hours now, since that Kekoa kid had accused Chibi or whoever (Chibi didn't appear to a person here though -- maybe Ashwood's hallucinations had hallucinations?), Ashwood had had... thoughts. Ashwood wasn't a murderer. Sure, if it came down to self-defense they would go down swinging. But no one had died yet; no one had any proof anyone was a killer lying in wait.

Yet -- Ashwood had grit their teeth and the hairs on the back of their neck had bristled when they saw Enigma, the Ghost, being so quiet. That had faded, but then their sights turned to Kekoa. Him pointing fingers, being so stand-offish to everyone else. Ashwood wanted to shout at him, accuse him. That had faded. But now, their stomach churned and their hands twitched when they looked at Desper...

Ashwood wasn't a murderer, but if killers were out for all innocents, they had to defend themselves. Even if one innocent died, if that meant the rest could save themselves, that would be worth it.

No, no! That wasn't Ashwood! The thoughts half felt like they came from someone else's head. But, at the same time, the thoughts couldn't be ignored.

"Maybe..." Ashwood began. They hesitated, licked their lips. "Do we even know people are going to die? Like, that white-haired kid --" (who maybe was a character from Yugioh "-- said so, but maybe's he lying. He could just be trying to freak us out.

"Maybe we should vote today. Like, maybe nothing will happen! It's not like if we choose someone, we'll go and beat the victim to death or something. We'll have to be forced, and we have no idea if whatever force brought us here can or will do that. And, if people are going to die... the killers will get someone innocent. Maybe we can stop them before it's too late.

"We have to do something. I --"

Ashwood was going to continue, but closed their mouth. They weren't ready to suggest a target. They and everyone else had to work things through. But -- if they had to choose someone -- it would Desper(/Tanuki).
]]

OoC post coming next to explain my thoughts. Also, Fusion ninja'd me but I don't feel like adjusting my post so yeah.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
[[Desper went from mad as’n outlaw ridden to calm as a corn hen in a pen quicker’n a boar could snort. He strode calmly up to Iona with death’s smile. “Doll, y’ever listened to words that didn’t come out y’er own head?” His voice was sweet as gas, and just as smooth. “Ain’t no one ridin’ a wagon that ain’t got any wheels. I ain’t votin’ you ‘cause I ain’t got ‘nything more’n s’picion.

“But if you’re s’eager t’ hang some’n’ up,” he leapt behind her, then onto her shoulder, iron pressed against her temple. “Then go ‘head’n make my day.” He held his sixer ‘gainst ‘er just long enough to make his point, pulled the hammer back, and aimed the gun parallel to her ear right as it went off, using the shot’s momentum to hurl himself backwards.

“But I’d never. I know how’n outlaw thinks. Never met one bloodthirsty as you in m’life. Y’re either innocent or a body w’out a head.” He emptied and replaced the fired shell in one smooth motion.]]

OOC: wagons don’t tell us anything because nobody has anything to be suspicious of anyone for yet. Anybody could jump to vote anyone for any reason.

At this point, you could vote anyone and then implicate me as mafia because I’m so hard against voting, it must’ve been because y’all were voting my teammate.

A wagon based on nothing teaches us nothing. We don’t have anything to dissect looking back. The odds are we’ll end up killing one of our own, and probably a very valuable info role at that. We should wait until we actually have information to go off.

If we abstain today, one innocent might die (unless a doctor saves them). If we vote someone, two innocents die. I’d much rather we keep as many innocents alive as possible.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Put off killing a suspicious individual for one night? What... so they had a chance at assassinating one of the others present? That kind of statement didn't settle well with the banette.
Thing is, there aren’t any suspicious individuals yet. If you think I’m suspicious because I don’t want us to kill an innocent today, I don’t know what to tell you.

The odds are not in our favor for voting right now. If Pers’s assumptions are correct, at best we have a three in ten chance. If there are three and we kill an innocent, then the mafia kills one, we’re down to 3 out of eight. That’s three mafia, five innocents.

The worst case scenario is worse than the best case scenario is good.

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
Enigma watched Desper curiously, and with a little admiration. So he'd just outright gone and intimidated Iona? If the stakes were different, Enigma would have commended the raichu. Perhaps even joined in on the fun.

But alas...

The banette sighed and leapt from the tree, vanishing in mid-air to appear a foot or so above ground. He landed with a heavy jingle beside the raichu, and cast a glance at the incredibly nervous Ashwood.

"Okay, here's my opinion on the matter. Do with it what you will, I couldn't care less about you all as individuals. But right now, like the rest of you, I wouldn't mind getting back home. What did that kid tell us again? That some of us had been taken over by spirits?" He cast a grin at Ashwood, and strolled past him with his paws clasped behind his back, each step jingling. "That basically means that some of us are being used as puppets. I think it's safe to say that no one here can be assumed to be themselves right now. And sure, we're all nervous. Who can we trust? We don't know. I mean, who here knows each other? 'Cos I sure haven't met a single one of you."

He flopped against another tree, folding his arms, and smirked out at the others.

"Like I said, if someone is possessed by a spirit they are now nothing more than a puppet. That spirit has a goal. To kill us, all of us. And for what? Entertainment? That makes me a little sick, and killing others is my job! Of course these crazy spirits are going to want to throw us off the scent. I'm not saying we jump to rash decisions. I didn't get this far in life based on rash decisions. My job back home is assassination and intel gathering, and I've seen some curious behaviour that's screamed 'suspcious' to me. Someone seems a little too desperate to hold off the vote, weaving words that have caused me to consider jumping on that 'no vote' wagon myself. But there aren't many of us here, and I'm not willing to sleep tonight knowing someone might take the chance to stab me in the back." He paused to chuckle. "Not that I can sleep that well anyway. But if you're willing to call off any votes, you had all better sleep with one eye open." Enigma narrowed a crimson glare at Desper. "But my vote still stands."

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
[[Salac felt like her head was going to explode from the stress. People here wanted to kill her... and she couldn’t tell who was who. Normally, she’d be ecstatic to have real, living humans in front of her, but the fact that any number of them may very well have wanted to kill her really muted what would have been excitement.

“I haven’t met anyone here either.” [Unlike the Delphox Salac I ended up using in the PMD: WU ToDs, Salac here has been taken from pre-plot, like BLC Celeste. Sorry, Kora, never met ya.]

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m every bit as terrified as you are, but I don’t want to help do the killer’s job for them. Narrowing down the pool of innocent people only increases the odds that I’ll be the next one to go.”]]

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
[[There was Desper doing Desper things, as usual. Although his personality is naturally suspect, he probably meant well. Intimidation is one way to get your point across, but it probably wasn't the best way.

"You might not wanna be so aggressive, Desper. Being more aggressive than the killer, or killers, or whatever, isn't a good look for you," Kora warned.

"Maybe..." Ashwood began. They hesitated, licked their lips. "Do we even know people are going to die? Like, that white-haired kid --" (who maybe was a character from Yugioh "-- said so, but maybe's he lying. He could just be trying to freak us out.

"Maybe we should vote today. Like, maybe nothing will happen! It's not like if we choose someone, we'll go and beat the victim to death or something. We'll have to be forced, and we have no idea if whatever force brought us here can or will do that. And, if people are going to die... the killers will get someone innocent. Maybe we can stop them before it's too late.

Admittedly, Kora hadn't thought about this entire thing being some elaborate prank. However, he wasn't exactly willing to test that theory out. Call it supernatural intuition, or maybe him being too gullible for his own good, but there was an unsettling, almost ghostly air about this place. Even if it wasn't ghosts and murderers, there was something not welcoming about this place.

"Trying to vote someone off because we think this is all fake is probably not the best idea. While I kinda hate this idea, we might have to wait and see what happens? If this whole thing is fake, then nobody will die at all," Kora said to Ashwood. "Something something, patience is a virtue and all that."

An odd thought came to mind, being that Ashwood was sort of quick to voting someone out? For someone who wants to believe this is fake, why would he jump for possibly killing someone instead of simply not voting at all? He also had a peculiar sort of behavior, even for a human.

That basically means that some of us are being used as puppets. I think it's safe to say that no one here can be assumed to be themselves right now.

This particular statement remained in Kora's mind. That and the part about no one knowing anyone else. Honestly, Desper is acting just like Desper would, which actually doesn't mean anything considering who he is. Despite not knowing anyone else, Kora felt Kekoa and Ashwood probably weren't acting like themselves. He'd have to keep an eye on them.]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Bunch of thoughts. Going to divide them by player. To start with: Equitia. He's the only person I know 100% isn't scum right now.

Waffle/Espeon

Neither of these people has said anything yet, therefore I have nothing on them. I'd really like them to speak, though.

Windskull

They've contributed, but I don't really have any thoughts or opinions about them.

DawningWinds

They were really pro-lynch last time too, so they're doing nothing out of character. Could they be mafia? I guess. The only thing that caught my attention was their asking me why I originally chose Del.
Can you explain what about Del and Persephone you find/found suspicious?
And that puts her above other inactives, why?

To restate: Del was mostly random. I took the player list, removed some bc I played with them before, and chose randomly from the remainder. I've always maintained I didn't choose Del for any particular reason. More than that, Del didn't post until after I went to bed last night. Therefore, the only feasible way I could be suspicious of her would be if I had a role I used on her N0. This comes off a bit like mafia role-hunting. Not so much that I'll pursue today, but I'd like some explanation on why you pursued that line of inquiry.

I don't find Persephone suspicious for for the Random Voting Thing specifically, but I like Equitia's other points about Persephone and found her suspicious for that. And I don't think Equitia was suggesting we kill off a third of the game, just that only a third of the player should vote (which I don't agree with, because everyone's thoughts are important and I usually see not voting at the end of the day as suspicious).

I meant that I would have liked about a third of the players to be targeted for lynching. I was and am fine with all players voting (though I'm more pro-lynch than I was at the start).

Also all the acronyms aren’t helping me feel any less in over my head. Like, what does CWAC mean? Google tells me it’s the Canadian Women’s Army Corps, but I don’t think that’s what it means in this context.

I've also been confused and had to look up what your terms and acronyms meant. I don't think most of us here know mafia lingo, so you might want to avoid those to avoid confusion.

Phantump

Equital: Impressively bloodthirsty. Between Choshi/Tanuki, Pers and Del, has fired shots at more people than we have suspected Mafia players. I’ll take Dawning and Windskull’s words for it making some degree of sense, but would otherwise be my number one choice for the person who wants to kill everyone.

1. I'm tickled to be described as "impressively bloodthirsty".

2. As has been stated, I had not targetted Choshi/Tanuki at the time of your post. Except now I have so...

3. Targetting someone D1 is very common strategy and not indicative of someone being scum. It hasn't happened much on TR, but for example here is a game with early D1 votes: https://forums.dragonflycave.com/threads/animal-crossing-new-horizons-mafia.18698/ (You can also look at other games on that forum.)

In general, D1 lynching is seen as a good strategy. It's very important for collecting information, which was in fact my main intention when I originally chose Del. I don't think I'm experienced enough with mafia to go in-depth as to why it's usually a good idea, but here's a good discussion about it: https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21947

4. I do not want to kill a third of the cast. (Only one person can be voted off anyway.) I'm just putting pressure on people and seeing what happens. In the end, I'll go with my best guess as to who is scum. I don't want to hit an innocent -- I want to suss out the mafia.

Anyway, Phantump just comes off as inexperienced to me. No feelings one way or the other.

Persephone

Yeah, I slept on it and I really like her explanation. Something else to consider is that she had some very tough luck last game and got voted off early. It's possible that she reacted at the prospect of being voted off again and that also increased her hostility.

I also want to specifically ask @Tanuki and @Shiny Phantump how they feel about Equita and DawningWind's thoughts. I think their logic for voting for Persephone is sound. But... Idk, the way she's playing this time doesn't remind me much of the previous game where she was mafia.

Persephone's first posts read to me like she could be mafia again, but her follow-up explanation changed my mind. Idk, you also have to consider she didn't get too far last game because of her aforementioned bad luck. I'm no longer confident voting for her, though. I'll keep my eye on her, but I feel good moving on.

Del

Del: From what I’ve heard, she has other things on her mind right now. Killing her for not immediately throwing herself into Mafia seems like a shitty thing to do. This is the one thing I can say I will not do. If it is, for whatever reason, strategic to kill someone inactive, I’d much rather pick someone else.

Yes, I'm willing to cut her some slack because she mentioned she had irl things. Remember however that I did not target her because she was inactive. It was mostly random.

Something else that inclines me to think she's not mafia (or she and Perse aren't mafia together) is that she voted for Tanuki, who was Persephone's pick. If they were mafia together, I would suspect them to distance themselves after Perse originally defended her. Them being the scum was a longshot anyway, but to keep in mind.

Fusion

I just noticed this before you posted, and definitely worth noting. I don't like CWAC (or when most of a player's posts are pure fluff I'm not really sure which applies to Fusion). It's useless and hurts town. And is really commonly used by Mafia.

I pointed out that Fusion's posts were fluffy, but I think that's because he's inexperienced, not scum. From what I've seen from him on Discord, little comments and jokes aren't out of character for him. I have nothing suggesting he's innocent, but I don't think his posts implicate him.

Despite not knowing anyone else, Kora felt Kekoa and Ashwood probably weren't acting like themselves.

Persephone and myself are scum? Interesting theory. Anyway, to restate: lynching Day 1 is not a scum strat. Read the links I gave Phantump to see why. Anyway, I encourage you to vote for someone. Me or Persephone or someone else.

Tanuki

When I realized I liked Perse's explanation, I also figured I would go ahead and target Tanuki. Didn't particularly think he was mafia; I just wanted to see what would happened. Coming back to the thread in the morning though, I realized I didn't like his logic. See here:

Y’all are basically assuming the mafia are idiots with this strategy. The first thing a mafia would do when their own gets questioned is make it look like they’re not affiliated.

Okay, so we're underestimating the mafia. But Tanuki goes along to suggest this possible strat if I get nightkilled:

Like if Equita (I think they threw the first stone at Perse) dirs tonight, it’d be reasonable to think mafia went for someone suspicious of one of there own.

How is hypothetical mafia move less obvious than the other?

Also, in the possibility that I get nightkilled, why would the rest of you be able to try to guess the Mafia's motivation? Because I threw votes at people. Tanuki said:

OOC: wagons don’t tell us anything because nobody has anything to be suspicious of anyone for yet. Anybody could jump to vote anyone for any reason.

But obviously not! Even people in the no-lynch group are forming suspicions based on the accusations going around! We're getting info with these discussions, much more than if we just decided to go no-lynch! As DawningWinds said, throwing around votes is much better than discussing whether to lynch or not because voting forces the mafia out into the open.

Tanuki, can you explain why we don't get info from D1 bandwagons, but we would from a night kill? Also, you proposed no-lynch right off the bat, for the game's first post. How would you have analyzed the night kill if the consensus went immediately to not doing anything today?

Is Tanuki scum? Not sure. I'd like to put some pressure on him though.

Top Bottom