• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Errant Sword [KtK RP Thread; Mission 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
But when he started snarling shit at Mightyena, Nate perked up with a sudden cold shock of realization. "Hang on. What the fuck happened to the rest of the Swords, exactly?"

"What?" That guy again. Nate shrugged. "Oh. Maybe."
Nori nods emphatically! “I know we will. We’ll find a way! If we haven’t already done so.”

As for his question, well. Nori was musing that to himself at first, but now that someone else brought it up, he puts forth his thoughts. “I think one of three things. One, they got corrupted like he was. It would make the most sense, and we know others got hit. But we can’t also dismiss that they weren’t and abandoned him for his...um, altered behavior? And he took that as a betrayal of honor. Or they got corrupted in a different way, maybe being too uptight or something? And abandoned him.” He looks at the Keldeo in a heap. “He would be able to tell us for sure, when he comes to his senses.” He puts extra emphasis on 'when.'

Nothing else to do but wait and get ready in case Keldeo has a little left in him. He glances over to Pachi, who gives a nod. The electric squirrel was ready for a bigger Grass Knot if Keldeo did start attacking violently again.

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
"Stand down, everyone," Breve says, stepping forward. "According to the official 2024 League Rules, this battle has ended, with us as the victor."

He grabbed the berry that the Mankeys had given him, and approached Keldeo.

"Here. This is for you," he says, reaching out with berry in hand.
...Keldeo's Resolve: 9/10

Nothing. Keldeo still didn't move... It almost looked like an nostril flared, but it could have been a trick of the light...

She charged up a Volt Ball, ready to deal the final blow, but she was hesitating for a moment.
Jojo's electricity cast a yellow glow on the field and Keldeo's motionless form... but she did not strike.

...Keldeo's Resolve: 8/10

"I agree," said Samson. "There's no need to attack him when he's down."
Keldeo's ear twitched. A facet of troubled dreams? Or was he still awake?

...Keldeo's Resolve: 7/10

Vines and grass suddenly well up near Keldeo and gently wrap...okay. One sort of gets around his left hind leg. It was very unlikely to hold, but nor does it do anything to harm the fallen horse-like Pokemon either.
The vine tightened, but Keldeo remained still. Maybe too still?

Pixels unfastened the scarf and limped forward, wrapping it around Keldeo's neck before stepping back, back and all the way back.
For a moment, it was as if Keldeo tensed, as if this would be what tempted him to wake or break his facade...

But Pixels was able to step away without incident. The fur around where she'd tied the scarf seemed to grow slightly lighter...

Keldeo's Resolve fell further! 5/10

They looked up at the Flygon. Readying dragonfire was a reasonable response, but there was perhaps a better one. “Can you use that song again? You know, for him? It… helps.”
Chef Flygon frowned, looking doubtful, still keeping his attack ready, but nodded to acknowledge Codex. After a moment, he let the flames fade, watching Codex's back. They were so close to Keldeo now... Even with everything, Keldeo might try to strike.

Keldeo's Resolve wavers...

He might just be faking. He looked pathetic enough, lying in the shallow water with his horn broken off. Plenty of people had already clustered around him, to heal him or to prevent him from causing more problems. Mightyena didn't have any talent for healing, and there were enough people crowded around up there already. She hung back and waited, and kept an eye on the broken piece of horn.
The same aura from Keldeo seemed to pulse from the horn, and the water around it looked tainted, distorted. It didn't look like it posed a threat, but all the same it gave one the chills. And yet... it had a haunting allure... Looking at it too long left the impression of sticky, vile thoughts, scratching ever so softly at the back of ones mind.

"Drapion, collect the horn, bring it here, let me get a look at it." She was a poison-type expert, after all... although she lacked any equipment here, perhaps she'd be able to glean something useful.

Drapion, after flashing Mightyena a grin and a low growl (perhaps his way of thanking her for creating his opening?), did as instructed, collecting the horn cautiously in his claws, careful not to let it drip onto the ground, and carried it to his trainer for examination.
The horn would send an acidic tingle through Drapion's claws. Though he had natural resistance, even Drapion would sense that whatever it was made of was strong. As he started to carry it to his trainer, some of the residue came off on his claws. It couldn't quite poison him and yet... being so close to it...Oh that was odd. A nudge at the back of his thoughts. Not a tangible voice. A sensation. A temptation. Subtle, yet natural, calling to Drapion...

Defy... Disobey... You are more... Your way is better...Your strength is all you need.

It was only fleeting, fortunately. A lingering remnant of some force, almost like a spectre haunting an object. And then all was still again.

Kirsten, as an expert on poison-types, could at least be sure the horn was not that of any pokemon. It hadn't come from any poison-type she was familiar with. Closer inspection revealed it was exceptionally sharp, and the point honed to a needle-like thinness. Something this strong and unusual had to have extraordinary origins...

-

“I’ll give you one thing,” the whispered to Keldeo’s seemingly-unconscious form. “A bit of that toxin, and I did give up on the idea that we could be alright disturbingly quickly.” Their voice took on a friendlier tone, albeit still somewhat teasing. “So how about you try and prove me wrong once more? Bet you can pull it off this time.”
...Keldeo's Resolve: 4/10

Another twitch, and this time a scowl. Abruptly, Keldeo surged to his feet. Though he had no horn, he aimed the jagged stump at Codex, breathing heavily. There was but inches between them now, yet something was different... His body trembled and it seemed as if he were fighting now. Fighting himself. Torn between striking and rising to the fae's challenge. Proving them wrong.

...Keldeo's Resolve: 3/10

Pachi's Grass Knot tightened around his hooves. A weak glow formed as Keldeo started to summon a Sacred Sword, but it flickered, as if it couldn't even mantain itself.

A standoff.

Keldeo, weakened yet close enough to try and strike. Pachi, holding him in place. Clink, subtly preparing a strike from behind. Winged King standing in front of Sada, crouched in case he needed to strike again. The rest of the team all tensed limbs and bunched muscles.

And then a low, sonorous hum filled the air. Chef Flygon, who'd slipped up behind Codex, weaved his head side to side as hecontinued humming. The air began to tremble as the aura infused note rose in volume.
His voice was surprisingly deep, as he began to sing. It was different from what the group might have heard, a polite, at times authoritative tone. With the voice, the young ruler seemed, almost, older.

One day, the flames of war spread to his hometown
The young men rushed to the borders, for their country
"Sweet lover, please don't mourn for me;
For I will come back here one day, for you and you only."

But the sky is still grey, and the creatures scurry around
And no one could prove his love and his life
The storm continues howling, the village still is in peace
Though the people, so young, have long risen, high...
Shou'an's voice echoed across the field, blending with Chef Flygon's humming. The wind stirred as Chef Flygon began to vibrate his wings, creating a whistling harmony that rose and fell with the Latios words. As he wove his notes into the song, the purple aura flared once more, echoing and resonating with Shou'an.

A third, wilder cry joined the harmony as the Winged King flared his feathers, puffing his throat out as he added his cry to the song. Aura rippled between the three dragons before spreading to Keldeo.

Keldeo's body went rigid, doubt and fury warring in his dark eyes.

Keldeo's Resolve: 2/10

The ancient draconic song reverberated and echoed across the crystals, growing in intensity, thrumming in the hearts of all the group. It filled not just their ears, but their minds and very bones.

"Just... give... up," Gritted teeth seemed to hold back the words, as if Keldeo were both unwilling to say them yet desperate to. His gaze locked on Codex. "Abandon your meaningless code." All the false bravado could not disguise the pleading edge that had entered his voice. He glared at the team, daring. Desperate.

"You were supposed to... I believed you would..." He shook his head, as if trying to shake away a pesky fly. Confusion and frustration overshadowed his arrogance and he glared at the ground, and the berry Breve had left. "I broke the rules. Why cling so hard to a code? Honor is nothing but a gilded lie. An arbitrary, abstract notion..." By now he was half muttering to himself as much as speaking to the team.

The song began to fade...

Stillness. Then he raised his head. His voice was ragged and cracked when he spoke, but his eyes blazed. "Why. Why do you all hold fast to your convictions and honor?"

Keldeo's Resolve: 1

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
  2. vulpix
Stillness. Then he raised his head. His voice was ragged and cracked when he spoke, but his eyes blazed. "Why. Why do you all hold fast to your convictions and honor?"
"I don't speak for everyone, but I think our convictions are what make us who we are. But we stick to honor because it is the right thing to do." Nova cautiously approached Keldeo. "If you don't honor your own words, can you even trust yourself? Honor is our truth, conviction, our ideals. If you abandon either, you are abandoning yourself," the Eevee explained, smiling softly.

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Codex met Keldeo's gaze when he locked onto them. Their no longer held any fire. Keldeo's battle was with his own corruption now.

"Codes, rules, honour... They may not scribed in the stars or encoded in our blood, but the world was a darker, worse place when I didn't believe I could live within them. I'll never go back to that. Do you remember what it felt like before you gave up on honour?" Their voice carried none of the harshness it had before. "I imagine you must've cared quite a lot about it. It's in your reach, if you want it back. The upside of being a matter of belief is that you can always recover it."

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
Nori begins to open his mouth, yet he freezes up. He turns away slightly and sighs.

“Honor kind of is arbitrary and abstract,” the boy admits. His voice rings with a hollow sorrow. “That’s because what it is may be different depending on who you ask. I’ve seen people use it to justify their actions, make themselves seem decent, or use it to push others around.” He sighs and shakes his head before looking Keldeo square in the eye. “But I know that there are some good people live by their honor too. Me? I just try to be the best person I can be. So maybe I’m not really qualified to answer this.”

“That sort of is a conviction of yours then, isn’t it, Nori?” Pachi voices. “I know you’ve always tried to do the right thing and help others!”

He inhales and exhales heavily, not hearing it of course. “What I do know...what I can say...” He struggles to find the right words at first. But when he finally does so, he speaks with concise clarity. “What I can tell you is that change can be a bad thing. Sometimes, the best thing to do in the long term is stick to your beliefs, even if it’s hard or you get hated for it. I went through that once. It was really bad. There were times where I wanted to give in or even give up, but I know I would’ve regretted it more. In the end, I did change: I realized who I was and what I wanted. And in the end, things worked out.”

He levels with the horse. “So ask yourself, and be honest with yourself: is this what you really want? To throw away your beliefs because a lot of others are? The way I see it, you can be better than that.”

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
  9. zorua
"I said it before, and I'll say it again. The honor system is deeply flawed," Breve said, still holding out the berry. "But from what I recall, there's another tenant that you Swords of Justice follow, isn't there? Protecting others."

"Of course, from what I recall, the Swords primarily protect Pokemon, while safety inspectors such as myself primarily protect humans," Breve continued. "But we're not so different. We all have a desire to protect others, whether that be from urban sprawl, or dangerous gym puzzles."

"My convictions are not with honor, but with safety. But honor, in some ways, is derived from safety," Breve said. "No striking a foe who has surrendered, as that is unsafe for them. No pushing past when you're going to faint, as that's unsafe for yourself."

"I may not fullheartedly believe in honor like some others here, but as long as it doesn't interfere with safety, I do respect it," Breve says, reaching his hand out. The berry was still there, untouched.

"Now, are you going to continue being unsafe to yourself? Or will you protect others, just as you have done before?"

Negrek

komorebi
Staff
Keldeo had been faking, certainly. Mightyena watched, mournful. It seemed most of the fight had gone out of Keldeo, but it was hard to watch him struggling with himself like this. Where before he'd seemed so firm in his convictions--mostly. Sometimes there'd been a bit of hesitance, almost the sense that he wasn't sure he believed his own words, even then. She hadn't wanted to say anything about it, but perhaps she should have.

"Because that's what gives you the power to choose," she said. "If everyone acted out of fear, or only out of instinct, what kind of world would it be? How would we be able to protect what we loved? Doing something difficult when we could do something easy always matters." Her tail wagged slowly, low to the ground. "That's what we talked about the last time we met. You do remember, don't you?"

Nekodatta

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. koraidon-apex
  2. miraidon-ultimate
  3. skitty
Keldeo collapsed, almost as suddenly as he had been furiously fighting just a moment earlier.

Sada kept watching carefully, almost expecting a faint or some kind of trick, but when it didn't come, she realized that the battle seemed to be actually over... Maybe.

In a way, this was new to her; she was used to fighting until whatever had attacked or that they had been hunting had either escaped or been slain completely.

There was little middle ground.

She turned towards Winged King when he joined the song of the other dragons, her eyes going a bit wide. She had never heard him sing like that, didn't even know that he was capable of it.

Sada kept silent for a long moment when Keldeo got back up.
She didn't think she was the best person to talk about "honour" to him after all.

« Did you expect that everyone else would break the rules when you did? They didn't because they had something to stand for. You cheated to win... But still lost to us because you were fighting just for the sake of winning. Everyone else was fighting to save you, no matter if it was done honourably or not. It's not how you fight that makes it honourable... It's who or what you
do it for. »

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
The horn would send an acidic tingle through Drapion's claws. Though he had natural resistance, even Drapion would sense that whatever it was made of was strong. As he started to carry it to his trainer, some of the residue came off on his claws. It couldn't quite poison him and yet... being so close to it...Oh that was odd. A nudge at the back of his thoughts. Not a tangible voice. A sensation. A temptation. Subtle, yet natural, calling to Drapion...

Defy... Disobey... You are more... Your way is better...Your strength is all you need.

By all rights, Drapion should not have been affected by poisons. His own poison, like most poison-types, granted him a natural resistance to all but the strongest, most deadly toxins. And yet... as he carried the severed horn, Drapion found himself carrying it delicately. Not purely for caution, but in... one might call it disgust, or revulsion, as though one were handling something dirty. Something about the horn made him uneasy.

His head whipped around, but as he carried the horn back to his trainer, he found no one who could have claimed that voice. No, it was... in his head. Yes, strength... he was strong. He had just toppled a legend, had he not?

Drapion grinned at the thought, then blinked as he realized he'd been holding the horn right up to his face, staring at it. When had that happened? He nearly dropped it in his haste to pull it away again. Yeah... better let her take a look at it.

Kirsten, as an expert on poison-types, could at least be sure the horn was not that of any pokemon. It hadn't come from any poison-type she was familiar with. Closer inspection revealed it was exceptionally sharp, and the point honed to a needle-like thinness. Something this strong and unusual had to have extraordinary origins...

Kirsten had crossed her arms while watching Drapion carry the poisoned horn towards her, looking for a moment as though he were in a trance. The poison shouldn't affect him, but she failed to consider what, if anything, the poison might be carrying...

Drapion held the horn out for her to inspect, having no means of touching it safely on her own. She mused her findings aloud, as it helped her think, but had the added benefit of reporting her analysis to anyone listening nearby. The scent, the consistency, the color... few other poisons came to mind, and although she couldn't say with absolute certainty, she was relatively confident that none of those were a match. And the horn itself, sharpened to so fine a point even after battle... whatever had afflicted Keldeo with this, Kirsten was confident it was no common pokemon.

"Why. Why do you all hold fast to your convictions and honor?"

The champion lifted her head as Keldeo roused. Indeed, despite the dark-type aura powering him up, they too had held to their three-move limit. What more was there to say that everyone else hadn't said already?

"Honor is just one tool we can use to guide all our choices as we muddle our way through life," she said with a shrug. "But it's one we can reliably follow to ensure we're on the right path... or at least, not a harmful one. I suspect, given what I've heard of you and your past, that you once were guided by it, too.

"We accepted your challenge, and by our honor, overcame it. What happened, then, that made you turn your back on yours?" She made a gesture at the horn still in Drapion's claw. "By what power did you come across this? And was it forced upon you, or did you willingly abandon your beliefs?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
"But we stick to honor because it is the right thing to do. If you don't honor your own words, can you even trust yourself? Honor is our truth, conviction, our ideals. If you abandon either, you are abandoning yourself."

"It's in your reach, if you want it back. The upside of being a matter of belief is that you can always recover it."
"Sometimes, the best thing to do in the long term is stick to your beliefs, even if it’s hard or you get hated for it."
“So ask yourself, and be honest with yourself: is this what you really want? To throw away your beliefs because a lot of others are? The way I see it, you can be better than that.”

"But we're not so different. We all have a desire to protect others, whether that be from urban sprawl, or dangerous gym puzzles."

"Now, are you going to continue being unsafe to yourself? Or will you protect others, just as you have done before?"
"Because that's what gives you the power to choose," she said. "If everyone acted out of fear, or only out of instinct, what kind of world would it be? How would we be able to protect what we loved? Doing something difficult when we could do something easy always matters. That's what we talked about the last time we met. You do remember, don't you?"

"Did you expect that everyone else would break the rules when you did? They didn't because they had something to stand for. You cheated to win... But still lost to us because you were fighting just for the sake of winning. Everyone else was fighting to save you, no matter if it was done honourably or not. It's not how you fight that makes it honourable... It's who or what you do it for. "
The air hung heavy with tension. Keldeo looked from each member of the group to the next as they spoke, eyes narrowed, full of judgement and scrutiny. Testing and prodding for weakness in their statements.

"Honor is not just rules and restrictions. It is conduct and conviction," Chef Flygon said quietly. "The strength to rise above and hold yourself to a higher standard. No matter what your opponent does."

Clink finally moved up to be closer to Keldeo. "I... I may not be a great fighter, but my convictions and honor..." They drew closer, their voice softening, pleading. "I will never surrender them again. Honor is all about rising above. It's something you do not to look good for others, but for yourself."

They pointed with the tip of their keyring at Keldeo. "You were the one who taught me that. To stand firm. Just because it is something created doesn't make it lesser."

Keldeo's legs trembled and he squeezed his eyes shut. It was as if he were exterting a great effort, torn in two. The light from his horn stump flickered, then went dead. Letting his head fall, Keldeo stared at the murky water before looking up, first at Codex, then Mightyena. His gaze was hollow as he opened his snout and whispered in a raspy voice. "I do remember."

Keldeo's Resolve: 0

His body sagged and he took a step back. "I always remembered but it is as if those memories were clouded... What..." he shook his head again. "What have I done?" All at once he reared up and threw back his head as he gave a great cry. Unbridled, righteous anger at himself. His hooves slammed back into the hard ground and splashed up water. Then he heaved and gagged, stamping his hooves and then-

Something became visible around Keldeo, like smoke making visible light. Spectral purple chains around his neck and body, there for barely a heartbeat before they were gone again. And then Keldeo began to change. For those familiar with the legend, it was the shift from Resolute form to his ordinary form.

Yet the transformation didn't look ordinary at all. It was like something was leeching off him, like a snake shedding scales. A sludging, darkened aura that oozed down his body before dissipating. A boiling slurry of wicked, toxic emotions, desires pushed to their most extremes... The process left behind a slightly smaller Keldeo, in his normal form. Minus his horn. His colors had returned to normal as well, though they were a bit darker and still stained with patches of strange color.

The effort of repelling the taint left him weakened, and he swayed for a moment, caught himself, then took the berry from Breve and downed it swiftly.

"Keldeo?" Clink said tentatively. There was a hope, in their demeanor. And a searching energy, as if expecting a dramatic declaration of some kind, that whatever force that compelled them was gone, that he had been mind controlled by some evil entity. It didn't come.

When Keldeo spoke, his voice was low. Weary. "Yes Clink. It is I. I am... free..." the word caught in his throat and he turned away, at a loss for words. Perhaps free was not quite the word he sought. "I am... myself, that is."

A heavy silence fell. His gaze shifted to his broken horn, a woeful look flashing through his eyes before he hid it. Keldeo looked deeply disturbed and uncomfortable, and for a brief moment even looked as if he were ready to take off. Emotions swirled through him like a stormy ocean. Relief, guilt, disdain for himself, and admiration, for the pokemon who'd stood against him. At least now though, they were tempered and cool.

Then he bowed. Long and deep, the tip of his snout touching the water. "I owe you all my deepest gratitude and apologies." The words came stilted, tempered by shame, but deeply genuine all the same. When he rose, his expression was masked, and his emotions guarded. He held his head high, trying to compose himself. His arrogance, at least, was gone.

His gaze fell on Nova. "You were right. To abandon honor is to abandon oneself..." He turned to look at Codex, then the others. "Thank you, for reminding me that it can be regained. I should have been a protector, and yet I... I chose the worst of all. Cowardice. To toss aside my own convictions because I could not handle the harder path." His remorseful gaze fell on Breve and Nori, before lingering on Mightyena. "My words cannot express proper thanks for the strength it took to stand against me." He smiled at Pixels, then gently took the scarf she'd given him in his mouth, and handed it back. His eyes shone with sorrow and gratitude.

Then he turned and dipped his head to Sada. "And the courage to take up arms," he added meaningfully to her, bowing once again, this time half way. Warrior to warrior. For a human to fight him was quite absurd. Well, save for the absurd bravado he knew Nate had.

His conscience sounded weighed down, and his demeanor was reigned in as he continued. "I believe the least I can offer you is answers."

"We accepted your challenge, and by our honor, overcame it. What happened, then, that made you turn your back on yours?" She made a gesture at the horn still in Drapion's claw. "By what power did you come across this? And was it forced upon you, or did you willingly abandon your beliefs?"
He turned to Kirsten, eyeing the remaining horn with disgust. "I wish with all of my being that I could truthfully say something besieged me. Forced this affliction upon on me and controlled me." His head hung. "That is not entirely true. That horn, however, was a result of my affliction. Not the cause."

Pacing away, he turned his back for a moment to gaze upwards. "My memories are as tainted haze, but I recall still the sting of loss. Training with my teachers." The other Swords. There was hidden regret mixed with bitterness in how he spoke of that, as if there was more to the story. "And a moment of cowardly doubt as I retreated here to rest. Believing that if I'd simply tossed aside my own honor that I could have claimed victory. That was when..." His brow furrowed and he shook his head before turning back to Kirsten, his gaze lingering on the horn.

"Of the rest, I am uncertain, but I remember an offer... a temptation... And a torrent of such strong emotion that I found it easier to give into the tide than fight back." He shuddered and swished his tail. Overhead the sun was finally beginning to shine again as the clouds began to fade.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
Josie sighed, letting the charge on her fur fade once the battle was over. She jumped closer to Keldeo. She wanted to be excited and interview him, but it would have been disrespectful in his moment of remorse. Still, she wasn’t gonna stay quiet. She had to say something honest.

“Thank goodness everything’s okay now. Honestly, I thought I was gonna die. I really couldn’t give any answers to all of your claims about fighting dirty ‘cause, if it were up to me, I would’ve played by my rules. So… Thank you for reminding me not to lose myself to my base instincts. But, uh, what was that about a temptation? Whatever it was that turned you into a creep, I’m gonna make sure it doesn’t affect you or anyone else again.”

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
Spectral purple chains around his neck and body, there for barely a heartbeat before they were gone again. And then Keldeo began to change.
It was like something was leeching off him, like a snake shedding scales. A sludging, darkened aura that oozed down his body before dissipating. A boiling slurry of wicked, toxic emotions, desires pushed to their most extremes...

Kirsten looked on with a mixture of awe and mild horror as whatever had infected Keldeo began to, quite literally, ooze out of him. It wasn't like anything she'd ever seen before; it was almost as though Keldeo's body was literally forcing the poison out. Surprisingly little cling to his form as the toxic sludge oozed off him and evaporated. She'd never seen any kind of venom do that before.

"My memories are as tainted haze, but I recall still the sting of loss. Training with my teachers."

"So, let me make sure I've got this straight... it sounds like you lost a sparring match with your teachers, and in a fit of doubting your own honor, fled from them. And when you came here, something tempted you with power and, in your doubt, accepted it? Does that sound about right?"

She crossed her arms again as she mulled it all over. "Whatever, or whoever, it was, they had to be pretty powerful to overcome the will of a legend, even one not at the peak of their emotional stability. Any ideas on who or what has that kind of ability, and also an intimate knowledge of poisons?" She left the question hanging, open for anyone to offer suggestions, although she had hoped Keldeo or even Clink, with their knowledge of legendary pokemon, might have some insight that she did not.

"As for your training... there's more to life than winning and losing. It's not something worth throwing away all you believe in for. Especially not for some training exercise." Kirsten hoped that was reassuring. She'd never been particularly good at being comforting.

At last, she turned to Clink, gesturing for Drapion to hold out the toxic horn. "I'd... like to take this home with me to study. Is that possible? What will happen if I try to take it... er... out of this... realm? To my own?' Then she shot a look back at Keldeo, sans horn even after his cleansing. "And what about Keldeo? Will that grow back? Can we... perhaps cleanse this one and... return it somehow?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
Keldeo gave a rough nod of acknowledgement to Kirsten and Jojo. "Yes that is the... jist of it. I believe I was approached... I accepted something..." He seemed to still be musing.

His gaze shifted and a flicker of annoyance flared in his eyes at her words, though more directed at himself. Something he struggled to express. "While I cannot excuse my actions, it is not quite so simple as a matter of winning and losing..." It seemed he was still troubled in some way.

He shook himself. "Nevertheless, I can only best describe it as a sickness. Not unlike when a mortal finds themselves at the mercy of a fever, their thoughts addled and unclear. The longer I dwelt on my errant thoughts, the stronger the sickness grew."

Clink eyed the horn, before turning to Kirsten. "Unfortunately, that is not possible. Even if objects could be brought back, which they cannot, you would regretfully not remember anything."

At her suggestion of purifying the horn, Keldeo gave a quick shake of his head and stamped his hoof. "It is a well-intentioned offer, Champion. But I would have nothing to do with that abominable object. I will see it destroyed." He eyed it distastefully. "My horn was broken during training. It is my burden to bear until it grows back on its own."

Clink seemed lost in thought, contemplating. "Powerful poisons...."

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
"Like a black hole," Codex mused. They weren't as familiar with the cosmos as Whispers at Nightfall, but they'd picked up a fair bit through osmosis over the years. "Once enough weight has collected, it collapses and becomes very difficult to pull away from. Until tearing yourself away feels harder than letting yourself be consumed."

They let out a breath. The emotions that flowed through Keldeo for that moment between the breaking of the miasma, and him clamping down on them had been useful confirmation their mind was free, but also rather overwhelming. (They'd do unspeakable things for a persim berry for the headache they were getting.)

"We all have moments of weakness, they're just not usually so consequential as this. Perhaps it will take some time and recovery before you can feel the same way, but I cannot hold you wholly responsible in good conscience. You were preyed upon in a moment of emotional vulnerability, and no one is immune to that." They shot Keldeo a look, inscrutable but not hostile. "I don't imagine we're like to get along, exactly, but I'll confess to a respect for your ability to pull yourself away from the event horizon. Even if it took... considerable assistance."

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
  2. ranyakumo
“What the hell?!” Nori scuttles back and gets his guard up as the corruption freaking melts off the afflicted legendary Pokemon. He eyes it as if it’s a snake that might leap up at any one of them. Only when it just sits there for several long seconds, and the Keldeo starts to speak, do his shoulders and arms drop and he exhales. It doesn’t take much longer than that for the realization to set in.

They had won!

“Woohoo! We did it!” Nori says, leaping high into the air, raising both of his arms, and kicking up his legs. He lands perfectly and does a peppy double-handed arm pump before resting them at chest level. “Great job, team! You did good too, Keldeo!”

“Yes! We did it!” Pachi repeats, jumping up himself yet landing more awkwardly. He coughs. “Sorry, I still have some poison in me. Um, I’m not going to get corrupted too, am I?”

“Okay, okay!” the boy says, approaching Keldeo. He claps his hands and places them together. “So you said something to the effect of not being the only one who threw away morals? Was that just...” He gives an aside glance to what remains of the corruption. “...whatever that was brushing it off, or do you know something? We know it may not just be you. Please, anything can help.”

"Whatever, or whoever, it was, they had to be pretty powerful to overcome the will of a legend, even one not at the peak of their emotional stability. Any ideas on who or what has that kind of ability, and also an intimate knowledge of poisons?"
“Poisons, poisons...” the boy muses aloud. Poison corrupting someone? That was familiar somehow. “Nil...” What was the name? Wait, would they even know what he was talking about? It was insane even to him when he heard about it from his blabbermouth superior. “Sorry, it’s nothing.”

"Unfortunately, that is not possible. Even if objects could be brought back, which they cannot, you would regretfully not remember anything."
“Well, that's inconvenient.” Nori rolls his eyes. “Memory sealing is dumb. And he,” the boy gestures to Nate, “Seems to remember being here before. Why change it now? Won’t it cause problems when and if we come back?”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
"I don't imagine we're like to get along, exactly, but I'll confess to a respect for your ability to pull yourself away from the event horizon. Even if it took... considerable assistance."
Gratitude and flickered within Keldeo, though he said nothing out loud. He dipped his head, accepting her words, but he clearly still struggled to fully accept them.

"Indeed, a black hole is not inaccurate. It began so quiet... And then it was as if nothing else remained but my poisonous thoughts."

“So you said something to the effect of not being the only one who threw away morals? Was that just...” He gives an aside glance to what remains of the corruption. “...whatever that was brushing it off, or do you know something? We know it may not just be you. Please, anything can help.”
At this, Keldeo looked at Clink, his face grave "I know I am not the only one." Clink shievered uneasily as Keldeo continued. "At the very least I... I do know that my teachers, the other Swords, are affected."

Clink was quiet for a moment. "More than just them, Keldeo. It... It could be every legend in this state. What afflicted you must be what caused the damage to my realm."

"... I see," Keldeo said quietly.
Well, that's inconvenient.” Nori rolls his eyes. “Memory sealing is dumb. And he,” the boy gestures to Nate, “Seems to remember being here before. Why change it now? Won’t it cause problems when and if we come back?
Clink shook themselves out of their thoughtsand turned to Nori. "Oh, those who come back here often regain their memories. It is only leaving that seals them. If ever you do return you would remember this adventure." They paused then added thoughtfully, "Though souls are a tricky thing... A caveat of calling other beings from other worlds I suppose. Not unheard of, as I understand."

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Samson clapped his 'hands' together. "Well, whatever it was, I'm glad you're better now, Keldeo. And don't beat yourself up too hard about giving in to temptation. Something I was gonna say during the battle was that we're all fallible. But just because we can't necessarily keep to our ideals when things get extreme enough, it matters that we try to hang on to them as long as we can."

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
  4. goomy
Woohoo! They did it! They won and saved Keldeo. And scary de-corruption aside, she felt great, well tired mostly, the adrenaline was slowly filtering out of her systems and the pain was coming back full force but she could ignore it if she tried hard enough.

Arceus. What she would give for a full treatment from Evie right about now.

“Yes! We did it!” Pachi repeats, jumping up himself yet landing more awkwardly. He coughs. “Sorry, I still have some poison in me. Um, I’m not going to get corrupted too, am I?”
"Oh right! Here, wear my scarf. It'll help purge those poisons out of you though it might take a little bit before it takes effect."
At this, Keldeo looked at Clink, his face grave "I know I am not the only one." Clink shievered uneasily as Keldeo continued. "At the very least I... I do know that my teachers, the other Swords, are affected."

Clink was quiet for a moment. "More than just them, Keldeo. It... It could be every legend in this state. What afflicted you must be what caused the damage to my realm."

"... I see," Keldeo said quietly.
"Well, if you guys ever need any help. You can call my friends, I'm sure they'll be glad to save some of your friends. Though if you do call me again, try not to let it be wet, rocky or–ugh sandy, my fur is going to take ages to clean..." she said to Clink, muttering the last part before turning to Keldeo. "You were pretty strong. Let's fight again someday. A 1-on-1 duel as equals."

She raised a paw, trying for a fist hoof-paw bump.

Negrek

komorebi
Staff
Mightyena growled as something poisonous sloughed away from Keldeo, her ears pinned back. The corruption seemed localized, dissipating into thin air, but she instinctively backed up, stepping high to touch the water as little as possible. She didn't like the thought of that same poison spreading throughout the pond and into each of them.

It was over fast, though, and seconds later, Keldeo looked normal again. Almost. He was still stained by something; his colors weren't quite right. And he was sad.

Mightyena's ribs still protested when she moved, but she did her best to hide it as she made her way over to Keldeo. She flopped against his side and shoved her head up under his chin, wagging faintly. "It'll be all right," she said. "We'll go and help your teachers next. Won't we?"

This was directed at Nate, who now stood near the front of the group, looking unsure of what to do with himself. "Uh, yeah. Of course," he said. And then, with a little more conviction, "Yeah, I mean, that's what we're here for, ain't it?" He glanced at the people to either side of him. "If you know the same thing happened to the other Swords, does that mean you, uh, saw them recently? You know where we might find them?"

Mightyena wondered if he was thinking what she was. Keldeo having seen the other Swords in their corrupted forms was one way he might know what happened to them. There were other options that weren't so benign.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
  9. porygon
Something I was gonna say during the battle was that we're all fallible. But just because we can't necessarily keep to our ideals when things get extreme enough, it matters that we try to hang on to them as long as we can."
Keldeo eyed Samson pensively. "And yet you did." His voice was soft, hard for the others to hear. Respect glimmered in his eyes for Samson. "How important is ideals truly, if we cannot cling to them when the stakes are greatest... Can one truly be trong if they crumble when it matters most?" The question did not sound entirely rhetorical, surprisingly. His actions clearly weighed heavily on him. Yet all the same, he did not seem to be pressuring Samson for a reply.

In a slightly stronger voice, easier for the rest of the group to hear, he said "Thank you for your assurances. It was an impressive feat, to stand against me and choose not to fight. I admire your conviction." A slight grin tugged at his snout. "Even if I may disapprove of not fighting." A light hearted comment, instead of a cruel jab.

"You were pretty strong. Let's fight again someday. A 1-on-1 duel as equals."
A slight hint of cheer returned to Keldeo's countenance at the offer. "Oh is that so? Well after how you performed today I would very much enjoy that some day. Do you believe you can match me then?"

Then, in a more somber tone he added, "Blind optimism is easy, and many have it, only to be crushed. True idealism takes great courage. Don't lose that, little fox." This time, the term was clearly more endearing and respectful than demeaning.

Mightyena's ribs still protested when she moved, but she did her best to hide it as she made her way over to Keldeo. She flopped against his side and shoved her head up under his chin, wagging faintly. "It'll be all right," she said. "We'll go and help your teachers next. Won't we?"
Smiling still, Keldeo allowed himself the moment of comfort. "Thank you. Although for now, it may be best to return home. Interlopers can't remain in these realms forever. Thank you for coming though. I hope the two of you have fared okay since we last met?"

Clink nodded in agreement. "It will take time to access other domains. I will be able to call again for help when others return." They brightened slightly. "And now we have experience with what to expect, so it may not be so bad next time."

"If you know the same thing happened to the other Swords, does that mean you, uh, saw them recently? You know where we might find them?"
"At least for now, the legends are in their domains," Clink said. "It is hard to say where in their domains, but if it similar to you, Keldeo, they may not be too hard to find."

Keldeo let out a heavy sigh. "It is also a sense I have. The four of us are linked. Not as powerful as other legends, but nonetheless a link. Perhaps for a mortal you might call it a sixth sense. And right now... they are very far from me. Their spirits troubled..." The corners of his snout tugged downward and he ground one hoof into the ground. "I failed them by behaving like such a fool. I allowed myself to become so resentful."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom