• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Destiny Village ~ Chip's Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave rounded on the parasites as soon as they reacted. “Yeah, there we go. You fuckers can hear us. Now how about you cooperate and answer some questions, and we might decide you’re sapient enough to count? Spit some fucking spirit acid for yes.”

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
The walk to Chip's lab from Rocky Road was a long one, and Nate was out of breath well before he made it to the set of stairs that led down under Arceus' hill. He hadn't really been back since the mewtwo broke out of here a couple months ago--the place was looking pretty slick after it had all been rebuilt. At least Chip must be feeling better, if he'd been fighting in the colosseum and all. "Chip?" Nate called. No response, but after a second, Nate heard voices.

He frowned. There usually weren't a lot of people dropping in for a visit. Maybe it was that zeraora familiar? Starr had just said the guy was interested in the parasites. Nate moved off in the direction of the conversation, Rocky following at a brisk walk. There was the buzz of Chip's voice, definitely talking about the parasites. But that wasn't the zeraora guy, and then that next voice--Nate definitely knew who that was. We might decide you're sapient enough to count, Jesus Christ, what a dick.

Nate found the group gathered in front of a couple containment chambers, the parasites within. There was Chip and the zeraora guy, but also Brisa? And that other guy. "What the fuck is going on in here?" Nate demanded.

Rocky hung back against the far wall of the room, watching the scene nervously. "Hi," he said to no one in particular.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Howdy Nate, Rocky," said Brisa. "We're seein' if we can learn anythin' from these critters."

She turned round to look at the new arrivals, and rubbed her chin. Those two each had their way of coming up with creative solutions to problems. Maybe they could help.

"We got a bright idea deficit. Either of ya got thoughts?"

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Lexx perked up at the sound of new arrivals. "Heya," he said breezily, waving to them. "We just figured out these things can hear us and we're trying to think of experiments that won't land us in trouble with the ethics committee."

He couldn't help noticing the Infernape shade hanging back behind Nate, looking pensive.

"Hey, check it out," he said, gesturing to Rocky. "They don't notice us at all, look." He pressed his face up against the glass, to no effect.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"I dunno," Nate grumbled. "But I figure we want to at least start by not being a dick about it." He shot the mightyena a glare, then moved up closer to the parasites. Up close they, really looked pretty unappealing, didn't they? Especially the big oozy guy. "Have you seen any difference between these two, Chip?" he asked. "Like obviously one is bigger, and darker, but do they behave any different?" He considered the parasites for a second, arms folded. "And when you had the mewtwo here, Reshiram was saying something about it putting out a signal every now and again. You seen anything like that with these two? Anything going in or out?"

"Really?" Rocky asked Lexx. He stepped up close to the containment chamber, keeping half an eye on Nate all the while. "Well, we're sort of like cousins, aren't we?" He reached out and tapped nervously on the barrier. "Did anybody try giving them stones like we have? I wonder if they'd like those, too."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
They didn't seem to give any particular response to Dave that suggested cooperativeness. Chip did prattle on about their behaviors, though, attributing personalities to each one. Whether or not they were exaggerated by his perception or not was up to debate. Apparently, the larger, darker one was feisty and defiant and liked to spit angry acid at him, while the one that had been in Maple was more cautious and timid, curling up for defensive postures than anything.

"But I haven't detected any signals from these things at all," Chip added. "They're just... there. And we tried all kinds of communication with them, nothing. I guess they aren't in the mood to cooperate... Giving them an empty core, though. No. We haven't tried that."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa's hackles rose a little automatically, and she bit back an invective-filled retort about how the parasites literally caused their hosts to frenzy against their friends and show their unmitigated worst sides.

I w҉i̕l̸l҉ show y̕ou͠ y̧o͠ųr ͏ȩt͜e̢r͝nál ̷t̕r͟uth̴

She shuddered.

"Stone's a good shout. Let's try it."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave glared at the parasites as they failed to respond. Worth a fucking try.

"What the fuck is going on in here?" asked a familiar voice, and he turned to see Nate and Rocky. Christ. Wasn't Nate the one who'd been so insistent that they just never be in the same room together again? Well, it was on him if he decided to waltz in here anyway. Let him kindly fuck off if he had a problem.

On the one hand, giving these things Ultra Stones would be inviting creatures that were mostly malice and hostility to turn into something like legendaries, which didn't sound like a fantastic idea. On the other hand, at least judging from the shades it'd take a while to get to that point, and in the meantime it might make them a lot easier to reason with. He exhaled through his nose. "Fine. Throw some Ultra Stones in there."

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"Okay," Rocky said brightly. He produced an ultra stone from his bag and held it out to Chip. "Do you still have more of these somewhere? This is almost the last one that Marshtomp has. He'd probably like a few more if you have any left. They're pretty handy!"

Meanwhile, Nate nodded along with Chip's description of the two parasites. "Yeah, that makes sense," he said. "The big guy was either right up against a dark matter, or maybe has a dark matter in it." Didn't seem likely, but the possibility was still there. "It's probably a little more dark, like. The other one, I don't really know."

It seemed like the smaller shade might be better to try and work with, at least for a start. Nate went over to stand in front of it and put a hand on the barrier, trying not to flinch when the parasite threw itself against the far side, scrabbling and scraping. He bent down a bit to try and get more on its level, but it practically was on his level already. Still too fucking small. "Hey," he said. "Hungry, ain't you? You want some... emotions?" Diyem said they liked pain and shit, right? That was how the other shades had seemed, too, but it hadn't actually worked that way. "Whatever emotion you want, I got it. Or you want to get out of there? You help us out, we can let you go. But you got to give me something, huh? You get me? If you understand me, can you tap the barrier with your tail, there?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
When the initial slam against the glass was ineffectual, it had attacked a little more before it reeled back and curled in the center of the room again. It wasn't cooperating at all. Meanwhile, Chip, after seeing no progress, slipped in an inert stone through the door--they were very low on those, now, considering how unique the items were--and flipped a few switches. Moments later, it rolled into the room through another compartment.

Perhaps out of what might have been curiosity, the parasite slithered toward it and inspected it with a few of its heads. And then... losing interest, it continued to glare at Nate. The inert stone may as well have not been there.

"No reaction," Chip said. "But they can be curious, maybe. That's something... I don't think they consider anything related to Eternatus a threat. I guess that also makes sense. But it also doesn't seem to have any sense of kinship..." He sighed. "These are nothing like Shades in behavior. They aren't friendly at all. And that makes it hard to tell if they're properly sapient, too..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa sighed heavily.

"I don't relish the task, but I can't help but think, over an' over, that I wanna try communicatin' with my Whiplash again."

It hadn't done her any favours last time, but it had spoken to her...

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Nate was... trying to make friends with it? Jesus. He watched him, eyes narrowed, as the stone was dropped into the cage and the parasite... simply ignored it, and looked no more cooperative.

"Genius. Great. Yeah, that worked."

He looked at Brisa when she made her suggestion, frowning. "You sure?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Nope."

She grit her teeth. Remembered how badly Owen's parasite had hurt her. Your eternal truth.

"But it's important. An' nobody else can do it."

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Rocky watched the parasite eagerly as it nudged the ultra stone back and forth, but frowned when it ultimately turned away again. "Aww. Well, maybe I could go in there instead? I guess I don't know what I would really do." He looked thoughtfully into the chamber.

"See if you can get Xernatus on your badge," Nate said without looking at him. "I dunno if he's exactly the same thing as these guys, but he seems to know a bit about Eternatus. Maybe he'll have some ideas for getting through to them."

The marshtomp was still fixated on the parasite in front of him. "Threat, huh?" he said. "You think they're pissed because they think we're gonna hurt them, not because they think we're food?" He tried to lower himself even more, and gave the glaring parasite--funny how it could glare without a proper face or nothing--a wan smile. "Come on, now. I ain't giving up that easy. You want me to piss off, the fastest way is to give me the nod. I can stand here all night, believe me."

He felt weird. Kind of... fizzy? Like he was drinking a soda or something, except all over his body. He was sure this was going to work. Why? That didn't make no sense. He leaned harder against the barrier, half frustrated, half amused. It was absurd to think of anyone being afraid of him. "We ain't gonna hurt you," he said. His gaze shifted minutely towards Rocky. "See that dumbass over there? Like your half-brother or whatever? He used to be like you, and look where he is now, huh? All walking, talking, getting into shit. He's doing fine. You don't have to stay in there." He felt itchy. His eyes felt itchy. What? Something was buzzing.

"All you got to do is give me a sign."

Nate used Radiant Misdirect!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
It seemed to have at least a marginal effect, in that it was no longer trying to attack Nate... but it also was refusing to cooperate nonetheless.

Chip sighed. "Thanks for trying, everyone, but I think these two are just not going to cooperate. We'll continue to study them, but... In terms of getting cooperation, this might be a lost cause until we get more information. I don't think you'll get anything new from what... Whiplash technique, either."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave clenched his jaw, looking back at the parasites. "Hey. The name Soda mean anything to you?"

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
The itching only got worse, and then Nate sneezed explosively, dusting the barrier with a mist of mucus. "Ugh. What the fuck?" he said.

Rocky's ears stood straight up. "I think that was Radiance!" he said. "I think you did a Radiant thing!"

"What? Don't be an ass." Nate sneezed again, more mildly. He wasn't itching anymore, but he still felt off. Kind of lightheaded. A bit warm? What the fuck? Did these guys make some kind of toxins or something that were getting through the barrier? He pulled his hand back from it, just in case.

"No, really! I could feel it. It was just like--"

"What about Xernatus?"

Rocky made an exaggerated shrug and gestured helplessly at his badge. Nate scowled. "We'll go find him, then. And Buffet--that's a good idea." He nodded at Chip. Meanwhile, the mightyena was still on about Soda. Jesus. The guy was obsessed.

Nate looked back at the parasite. Well, it wasn't actively trying to chew his face off. That was progress, right? "One last thing," he said to Chip. "How do they deal with substitutes? Rip them apart, or try to burrow in? You got any we could try with?" Wouldn't be surprising if it depended on whether it was one of the inanimate ones or the walking, talking, deeply unsettling kind, but who knew? If what they wanted was a body to make their own...

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Substitutes? Huh." Chip thought about that. "Y'know, we never thought about that one, between Reshiram and I. We can see how they react to spirit fragments. Maybe we can get Truffle, since he can withdraw a Substitute if something goes wrong..." He bobbed his head. "Right! Looks like we still have some experiments to perform after all! I'm sure if we put enough safety measures in place, Zekrom will approve... Oh, and Xernatus, we'll get him, and Buffet, and . . . "

And off he went, already drawing up schematics in his head...

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded firmly, satisfied that she'd done what she could.

"Appreciate the apt suggestions, Nate," she drawled. "And, ah, nice one usin' Radiance fer th'first time. Good to see."

She turned to head out, feeling mostly like she needed rest, and maybe a shower. The sludge coming off the darker parasite made her feel nauseated. Eugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom