• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Rocky Road ~ House of Brisa, Dave, Koa, and Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
She knew how Shadows worked. How much of this was there, held back, locked away? Brisa maintained the hug, just kept her arms tightly around Dave, just let the Radiance gently hum and glow.

It's okay. You can let it happen. I won't say a word after, if you don't want me to.

It's sad that our time is almost over. So let's make the best of what's left.

It only hurts because it matters.

You matter so much to me.

You did great, Dad.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
It took a while before it subsided into exhausted quiet. It took a few more careful, restrained breaths before he could start to relax his grip on her.

(Through the Whiplash connection, Brisa could feel flashes of wordless emotions: I love you, you deserve better, I don't want to lose another kid, I don't want you to have to go back to that place)

Dave couldn't quite meet Brisa's eye as he pulled away. "Fuck." He composed himself, rubbed his face with his paw. A couple more deep breaths.

Finally he glanced at her again. "How about that movie?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sounds good," said Brisa, almost as if nothing had happened. Maybe her voice cracked a little, but she kept going, mundane as you like. "Let's have a look at the showtimes and see what's on."

She gave Dave's shoulder a firm, brief squeeze as she got up from the sofa and went to get her satchel again, shifting back into luxray form for the trip out. No need to fuss. He'd be alright. He'd be alright.

I don't want you to have to go back to that place.

She didn't want it, either. But she'd do it. She'd be okay, too. And in the meantime... She could go see a movie with her dad. That's all she wanted right then.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Yeah. Let's find you that happy ending, huh?"

Dave stood up and bumped gently against her shoulder as they headed for the door. Yeah, he could definitely use a movie right now. So long as they could find one that'd make Brisa happy, they were golden, for at least a couple of hours. And that was about all he could ask at this point.

<><><><><>​

Epilogue ~ Starrgazing

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
The roof of the house had a patch of slightly discoloured tiling by now, from how often Brisa took her naps up there. The rate of differentiation had sped up a little since Starr had begun joining her up there most afternoons during their long recoveries post-battle. Sometimes talking. Sometimes napping. Always pretty goddamn happy.

It was night, now, though. Or late evening, at least, with stars beginning to poke through the clouds and the light pollution of Destiny Village. A boreal wind passed over them, and Brisa pressed a little closer to Starr.

"They should shut the lights off sometimes," she drawled, idly. "Let folks see the galaxy."

Not seeing a belt of stars clearly overhead at night had to be the biggest downside of living in a city. She'd always been comforted by the scale of creation. On the other paw... She looked at Starr. Sometimes it was nice for the universe to feel small.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
"Guess you're used to seeing a lot more than this, huh," Starr replied, letting Brisa lean into her. "Growing up in the city, you just get used to this being what the sky looks like."

That first night on the camping trip they'd taken on the Grass Continent had been a real 'holy shit' moment. Even out on routes of Johto, you couldn't really get far enough away from all the huge cities to see anything like that.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa skewed her mouth as she considered growing up somewhere with a dulled sky. How... Empty. And yet, living in a city, you were surrounded by a galaxy of people. Countless chances to be something to someone.

"Yeah, y'can see the whole damn galaxy clear as y'like. My ma's clan call it the river of stars. Y'ever see a river where the sun falls on it just-so, an' it goes all silver? Just like that, stark silver 'gainst the black. Best thing 'bout my old job was sleepin' under that most nights."

She rubbed her cheek with her free paw. "Cibus is my first experience of livin' anywhere urbanised. I like that anythin' y'can think of, it exists, and within walkin' distance at that. Don't care so much fer the noise. Is it much like yer home? D'you . . . miss it?"

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr shrugged. "Pretty similar to what I'm used to. I'd get bored as hell living out in the middle of nowhere where everything closes at like, 5pm. But I guess it wouldn't be so bad getting to fuck off to somewhere without any crowds every once in a while. Long as I could take the train back." Somehow, she doubted Brisa's world had magnet trains.

Starr glanced upward again, eyes tracing the stars. They were probably all different than the ones she saw back home, not that she'd be able to tell one set of a million dots from another. "It's gonna be weird being back home."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Everything closing at 5pm? Ha. Like you could make anyone keep regular hours in Frontier Town. Starr really was a city gal through and through.

"Same. I've spent what feels like half my life worth a damn livin' with a team full of fighters, strivin' to protect folks as actually appreciate our efforts. Have you met yer fans? I have."

She chuckled. Cibus' fanclubs were usually pretty respectful of boundaries, but they sure were enthusiastic.

"Y'know, it's strange, but even stuff that felt impossible to change and perfectly normal when I came here... Lately, it feels fuckin' dumb as hell. Why the fuck was I patrollin' fer outlaws on shit pay without a badge? I should just roll up to Town Hall and tell 'em I ain't workin' another minute without an endorsement to the fuckin' Ranger Union."

She laughed. It felt good. Damn good.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr gave Brisa a smirk. "I thought that already went without saying. If there's one thing you take with you back to that place, it's giving those shitheads a piece of your mind." Now that'd be fun to see.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa returned the smirk with one of her own. Just another way Starr was rubbing off on her.

"Fuck yeah. I'm gonna quit my job, smash the town gallows to smithereens, and... Maybe get t'know some folks besides the town reps, saloon regulars, and the like. 'Cause... Even if I forget everythin' it's weird t'think of goin' back to livin' on my lonesome. I guess I got that golett kid stayin' at my place? Frozen in time fer a night there that lasts a year here. Glad it was me that got called and not them. They wouldn't've appreciated all the damn Colo matches like I did. And... I got to meet you."

What made Voices call to particular souls, anyway? Whatever the reason, she was glad Diyem had called the two of them together. Being with each other even this short, short while had been more than worth it.

"I'll miss you," she said, very quietly. "It'll be strange. Wakin' up without you beside me."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr didn't say anything for a bit. She just sat there, arm tightening slightly around Brisa. In a few days she'd wake up back home, back with all the people she'd been missing this whole time, and yet...

Starr closed her eyes. "So, am I visiting your world, or are you coming to mine?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa blanked for a second, then snorted with surprise, then screwed her eyes shut and shoved her face into Starr's fur, and grabbed her in a full-on hug.

"Don't give a damn," she said, voice muffled. "I'd meet you anywhere, darlin'."

Thank the stars for Starr. And for that way she had of still surprising Brisa. But considering everything they knew...

"Y'know... Pine used to worldhop," she told Starr. "Aria still does. Giovanni used tech of some kind t'do it. Nice one kickin' his ass by the way. Makes y'wonder if it ain't impossible we might..."

Breathe in; breathe out.

"...see each other again."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr chuckled, enjoying Brisa's weight against her. "I wouldn't have said it if it were impossible, obviously," she replied, rubbing her knuckles against Brisa's head.

"It's been on my mind for a while, yeah. Not just with all those guys, but the Miracle team as well." Her mind drifted back to the conversation she'd had with Dave. See you then.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa laughed as Starr ruffled her scalp. It still felt so good to lean on someone so comfortable with her. Who had the same kind of strength as her.

"I hope so," she replied, softly. "I really fuckin' hope so."

And maybe it could happen. It could happen. And she wanted that so much it felt like it could tear her chest right open. If she didn't clam up tight, it could all spill out in an embarrassing mess, but...

She wanted Starr to know.

"I… I don’t wanna go if it means never seein' you again, or forgettin' you fer ever. I just... I still wish we could stay together, if not on Cibus, then one of our worlds. I'd go with you if I could. Darlin', I’d go any damn place with you. I wanna stay with you. Fight together again. Be partners. Gods, Starr... This can't be the last of our time together. I'm gonna see you again somehow. I promise. You mean too goddamn much t'me."

She sighed into Starr's fur and soothed herself with purrs.

"I love you."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr didn't say anything for a while. Eventually, she tightened her arm around Brisa even more and said, "I know. Not like it's hard to tell," with a bit of a smirk. Another pause, and then, "Love you too."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
It wasn't often that Starr said it out loud, but when she did, it filled Brisa's chest with a light that felt like it'd keep her warm forever. She smiled to herself and rumbled contentedly, her whole body feeling relaxed and bright, inside and out. She put her free paw over Starr's and gripped it tight.

"This world's been good to us, huh?" she said, quietly. "Look at us. Started out at each other's throats, and here we are bein' this fuckin' sappy. I don't regret a goddamn thing."

She closed her eyes and sighed. "We can do it again, darlin'. In our own worlds. I can choose not to be alone. You can learn to forgive yerself. If we take anythin' back with us, let it be the memory we're worth lovin' as we are."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr's smirk didn't lessen. "You must be getting tired if you're being that mushy." She leaned her head against Brisa's. "You're right, though."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"'Course I am."

Brisa's breathing came easily, no shudders of anxiety, no claustrophobia, just peaceful comfort in her lover's arms. It might not happen very many more times, but it could keep going just a little longer, just this once...

"Mind if I drift off?" she murmured. "It's a warm night..."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
“Surprised you haven’t already,” Starr replied with a chuckle. She didn’t think she’d be up much longer herself. Not with everything this relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom