• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Thank you for the kind words!

Ummmmmm… Red… What the hell made you think putting on a creepy ghost mask of a chick you killed and ate was a good idea?

No really, for someone who seems usually methodical and cautious, this is really a rash move. He’s barely done any research outside of one reading session. Wouldnt a better move be capturing the yamask and pitching the ball into the ocean or something?

So initially I was all "...FUCK" here, but thinking about it more, it actually makes sense in this universe that he didn't try anything with pokéballs because in HHverse pokémon can self-release depending on the ball and their sapience level. Since Joanna is sapient, she can bypass the locking system of even ultra balls, which means balls wouldn't hold her. There is an exploit where a pokéball will not release its contents when it doesn't have enough space to do it, such as when it is inside a container, but there is still an override system that allows it after a long enough time, and Joanna can escape whatever container she's in by phasing through the material. Actually, I'm tempted to just say that ghosts can phase out of pokéballs anyway.

But you make a good point - no one would know all this stuff unless they read Seiren first, which goes into HHverse pokéballs more deeply. I should have a section somewhere where Red mentions pokéballs wouldn't work, and while I'm at it, I should tweak the research scene to have multiple books confirm the strategy he ends up going with, because he definitely shouldn't be so careless as to only take the word of one source when it comes to something he needs to do to cover his tracks.

slamdunkrai

bing.com
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. darkrai
  2. snom
Heyo! You know the score, here to review chapter three; did a quick re-read of everything before it just to refresh my memory because it's been a while. Glad to say I still enjoyed those opening bits as much as I did earlier, and just as glad to say I thought this chapter was a lot of fun. It progresses the story pretty nicely, I think; it gives us the moment where Red figures out what he has to do and how he has to do it, and before that we get some interesting introspection on his relationship with Abe, his disdain towards psychiatry, and his tendency to try and solve people on first glance — it's a clear, concise way of fleshing him out as a character while the situation around him, as self-inflicted as it is, forces him to take action. I'd assume that in chapter four we'll start to see him go about actually plotting the deed out. I also assume we'll be seeing him try to really prove his credentials as a top predator, a man who is never afraid of anything and must rise to the challenge of being the Bringer. The prose is generally tight and easy to read, too. It is nice to be reminded that, even with the whole murder cultist psychological horror thing going on, this is a very fun story about a guy who suddenly comes face-to-face with his discomfort in his own skin as it manifests in one of the victims of his misdeeds. It's honestly pretty relatable. We all try and talk ourselves out of our regrets like Red is doing here, and I find it doesn't usually work.

Here are some responses to specific excerpts:

Am I sure Celebi didn't just throw me back fifteen seconds?

My pondering of false gods fades quickly as the room comes fully to view.
Very neat way to show Red second-guessing himself.

I wonder what Michi and the yamask are doing right now. Are they talking? Who knows what kind of conversation they're having. Oh, what’s that, my yamask friend? You just remembered how the woman whose face you’re carrying died? Oh, she was murdered in an occult ritual? By that man that was following us earlier? Well, that’s not very nice! We should go and tell the nice men at the police station right away!

Oh Gods, what if that’s actually what’s happening? What if they already told the police? What if they’re coming for me right now?
On reflection, it's fun how Michi embodies Red's fears about childhood in a few ways. At this point in the story she's a kid who happens to have aura powers, a lack of parents, and a tendency to befriend ghosts in the graveyard she hangs out at — her circumstances are pretty abnormal, sure, but there's something childlike about the way she carries herself in chapter two. She's remarkably curious about the world, for a start; as an extension of that she's remarkably forward about her intentions to friend and foe alike, and as her aura powers allow her a preternatural read on people's general vibe and intent before they even say anything (not to mention the general wariness that undoubtedly comes from being an orphan who has to carry a knife in the graveyard where she hangs out), she's fairly quick in sorting people into "friend" and "foe". In contrast, Red is pretty evidently at odds with his own past going off his inner monologue about his relationship to Helix and his efforts to gain some distance from him, he's outwardly somewhat insecure about flunking high school and is completely startled by the inevitable changes in the layout of the library, and he's extremely guarded on account of being a serial killer and all; part of me wants to say that he's fascinated by youth and the beauty of it just as much as he's terrified by how much it entails being knowable in the same way he can't afford to be (and, by extension, how liminal it is; youth is defined by the fact that you're constantly aging out of it, and Red is a guy who loves his creature comforts and seems freaked out by the idea of change!). I thought the quoted excerpt above was neat for that, the way he imagines Michi ratting him out in a sing-song kiddie voice and then immediately becomes mortally afraid of that.

You've killed eight human beings in a slow and painful way. You've drunk their blood and eaten their flesh. And now suddenly killing a spider by hand is off limits because the touch of one is a bit icky?

It's almost like you weren't suitable to be the Bringer after all…
On the other hand, the fact that he's just really afraid of spiders and very mad at himself about this is a very funny bit.

“So you’d consider yourself a mentally healthy person?”

“Yes.” Probably more than most.
need to get myself into a room with this guy for two weeks so I can talk Anti-Oedipus + A Thousand Plateaus with him

Fatal destroys the ghost, ‘banishing’ it from reality, while non-fatal exorcisms are used to simply force a ghost out of a person, object or location without necessarily harming the spirit. They’re also apparently harder to pull off.
Interesting distinction; I'm assuming the ghost just sorta lingers around aimlessly in the case of the latter, then? Kinda curious to hear about the sorts of study that led to these things being widely known... the idea that a ghost can be separated from the body it inhabits without necessarily harming it is also interesting. That feels like ground ripe for exploration; there is something of a tragedy about a spirit that was once an inextricable part of a thing and now suddenly isn't. (I think this is one of those things where my own personal wants get in the way of my ability to look at this objectively: on the one hand I think it's commendable to not try and rationalise something as irrational as ghosts more than is necessary, especially when you have Pokémon logic to handily gesture towards as a vague one-size-fits-all explanation; on the other, there's a part of me that's begging for something that gets more succinctly at the emotional-but-illogical truths and the temporal dislocation inherent to haunting (i.e., a present existence fixated on a future that will never come to be, and by extension a future that can only exist through the lens of what once was) than the physically classifiable and observable elements of spectres presented here. Then again, this is a story about how you can't really remove yamasks from their past and how their present forms still bear their old scars, so I'm assuming that we'll be getting more into what Joanna as a yamask really represents as the story progresses.)

Well, aren't I lucky to be dealing with a first-time ghost, then! Sounds like all I have to do is be quick and cunning, and that's what HE has trained me to be. This'll be a piece of cake.
this is the shit I'm often saying when I am the protagonist of a story (there are over a dozen chapters that happen after I say this)

Hope to get caught up with this sooner rather than later! Hopefully it won't take another two years. Again, I'd forgotten how fun this was. :)

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts

CHAPTER NINE
The Mareep

A lot of things happened in this chapter, but something I'm really struck with is how Abe is just really scared and concerned for Red right now. This all must be very sad from Abe's perspective, which of course Red would hate but in another world would be a hope for Red having a support system who truly cares about him. Alas, this is the world with murder.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, it’s Halloween and given what I remembered of Hunter, Haunted’s vibes from the last time I read it, I figured that it was as good of a reason to jump in with my review before I got run over by NaNoWriMo this month. It’s admittedly been a while since my last review, so I might be a bit rusty on some character details, but…

Chapter 2

Smoothly curved bridge of nose, deep-set eyes, everything else. It’s Joanna. That’s Joanna’s face on that mask.

Oh, so Yamask masks aren’t generically shaped in this setting but look like whoever’s soul they’re based around… maybe, can’t tell for sure if that’s the implication or not.

Why? How? Of all possible faces, why hers? She wasn’t anyone special, was she? She was just a regular college student. Kind of an introvert, even. Why would she… matter?

Because the fundamental premise of this story is her giving you problems, Red? :V

Maybe it’s me. Maybe I’m hallucinating. Or dreaming. Maybe I fell asleep on that bench. Maybe I never got up in the morning to begin with. This feels real, but inside a dream, you can never really tell…

Narrator: “He was not hallucinating.”

The mask is moving. Stay focused. It’s heading for the bushes, curious about the rustle. Its way of moving is strange - gracefully yet uncannily, it bobs slightly as it hovers onward. It moves like a ghost...

Actually, wait, ghost mon being related to this would make a lot of sense. They like to make all sorts of strange and unsettling things happen. This could be one of them - an illusory prank by some gastly or something. But how would that ghost know about Joanna? Her significance to me? Has it read my mind?

Wait, Gastly can do that in this setting? .-.

My heart freezes. Oh Gods, have I already been caught?

Obviously not, since there’s over a dozen chapters after this point. o<o

“Hello?”

Both the ghost and I flinch at the voice. The ghost hides behind a tree of its own. I guess it knows no more than I do.

“Hello?” the voice calls again. A child’s voice. It’s coming from somewhere beyond the trees.

Red: “And of course I need to deal with more annoying little twerps right now.”
:mewtwofacepalm:

Rustling steps follow. At least the speaker’s something organic, then.

“There’s no need to hide,” the child calls. Something appears between the trees in the distance, something brown, pale, pink. Oh, a young girl with earthy clothes and pink hair. As far as I can tell from this far away with all these branches in the way.

She begins to approach us directly. “I know you’re there behind that tree. Just come on out, I wanna help.”

:copyber:

Ah yes, only good things can come from this encounter, I’m sure.

Shit. How does she know? No, wait, she might mean the mask. I have no idea what kind of help she would have to give me, so...

The mask shifts within its hiding spot, unsure whether to reveal itself. Go ahead, please. One of us has to, and it’s not going to be me.

I mean, it could be Red, but I’m pretty sure that would be the last thing that that little girl ever saw, so…
:FearfulMeowth:

After a few seconds, the mask finally gathers its courage and floats into the open. Once the girl spots it, she stops and smiles.

“Hi,” she says. “You’re new here, aren’t you?”

The mask shyly nods.

“Oh, you can turn yourself visible if you want," the girl says, then pauses. "Do you know how to do that?"

The mask shakes its head.

So Yamask!Joanna is cognizant of human language. I wonder if that’s a general thing among Pokémon in HH’s setting, or if it’s a quirk specific to souls that have reincarnated into ghostmons.

"Oh, well, it's like… you imagine your body turning to stone," she says. "That's how the others say how it works, anyway."

… Wait, how does this girl know that? .-.

The mask freezes. Moments later, something dark forms above it. The air becomes murky and opaque, like thick smoke. It forms into an odd shape - like a head with two arms and a tail gripping the mask. Two eyes like large, maroon plates open at its sides. They leak a substance of the same red hue. As it emerges, it looks like blood… but once it drips away, it evaporates into nothing halfway through its fall to the ground.

I might not know all that much about ghosts, but I'm certain when I say that's one right there.

Oh well that’s a creepy visual. See, I knew I was onto something for making a point to do this review while it was still Halloween.

Well, that’s not good. Whatever this thing is, I can tell it’s not a good idea to let it parade that mask around. Joanna needs to fade away just like all my previous victims - the fewer questions people ask, the safer I am. But a ghost… how am I supposed to get rid of a ghost?

Wait, does Joanna still know how to write in her present condition? Since if so, what keeps her from patiently writing out “I was murdered by this creepy stalker in his basement, he lives on Koratta Row” for someone to read?
:copyka:

The girl chuckles. "This is so cool. I've never met a yamask before."

Yamask. Is that what that thing is? I better remember that, then.

I take it that Red kinda just tuned out all the Pokémon that couldn’t be encountered easily in Kanto given that he has zero knowledge of what a Yamask is. Though I wonder how hard species separation is from region to region in this setting. For instance, would an average Unovan be this similarly out of the loop about what Gastly are?

The girl steps towards the yamask, but it jerks back, becoming a bit translucent.

"No, no, it's okay," says the girl. "I couldn't hurt you even if I wanted to. Anything I tried would go right through."

Ah yes, incorporeality. Time to figure out how the rules of that works in this setting.

The yamask looks down at its mask and grips it harder with its shadowy hands. "Maaaa…" it wails quietly. The voice feels human, but isn't quite there… yet there’s a familiarity to it.

Oh Gods. Don’t tell me this ghost… is Joanna?

Narrator:
:blobyes:

Red: “... Note to self, find some way to kill Yamask that’ll keep them dead.”
:grohno~2:

"Well, I guess that part I could touch… but I won't. I promise not to." The girl slips her hands in the pockets of her hoodie and gives another encouraging smile.

This gives the yamask the courage to approach again. It weaves through some low-hanging branches, its mask catching on the needles a few times.

"So, what's your name?" asks the girl.

Red: “(... Oh you’re kidding me. It can’t seriously also be capable of human speech, can it?)”
:uhhh:

The ghost pauses in thought but doesn't respond. Can it even talk to begin with?

"...It's okay, not everyone has one."

Relief. It didn’t say it was Joanna. I don’t think it would have any reason to lie here, so this means it either isn’t Joanna… or doesn’t remember being Joanna. Both work for me, though I still need to make it disappear somehow. Its existence might lead to new evidence surfacing. Or it could start remembering its past life and tell all about it, all about the one that killed her…

Well, that is a convenient save for Red there. And solves the issue of written testimony.

I can’t let that happen.

Ah yes, so Red is going to try and find a way to kill a Yamask for good.

The girl reignites her weakening smile. "My name's Michi. I'm friends with a lot of ghosts around these parts. They told me they'd seen someone new floating about, a yamask. That must be you."

Oh, so Michi can understand Pokémon. Or at least ghostmons. Duly noted.

Though as a small nitpick, but if you’re meaning to do a clipped version of “around”, it’s usually rendered as round in English.

"Maa? Maa, maa..."

“Yeah, that must’ve been Gabby! She’s the one that told me about you. Sorry about her, she can be kind of prickly… but she’s a good girl once you get to know her.”

… This is going to turn out to be another one of Red’s victims, isn’t it?
:copyka2:

Wait, those wails have meaning? And she can understand them? I guess this Michi isn't just any ordinary girl.

Well, I guess that confirms that we’re not in a LC-like setting where everyone and their mother can learn how to talk with just about any Pokémon with a bit of understudy.

“M-maa...” mumbles the ghost. [ ]

"Oh, no, you don't have to meet them all right away. Actually, they're used to leaving me alone with any new one for a while so I can make them feel more comfortable."

IMO, you’re missing some sort of reaction from Michi’s part, especially if Red’s meant to be watching this unfold and not just listening into them unseen.

Well, that’s good news for me, I guess. Fewer obstacles in my way to destroy this thing.

He’s going to spend the next twelve chapters trying and failing at doing this, isn’t he?

The girl’s eyes dart in my direction, freezing me mid-breath. Does she see me? Did she hear me? She's not a mind reader, is she?

I mean, with how seamlessly she’s been communicating with Joanna and considering how psychics do tend to be fairly common NPC trainers around gravesite areas in the games…

She glances elsewhere, then returns her gaze to the mask. I let my breath escape my lungs. Guess she didn't notice me after all. At least I hope so. While there's nothing for me to physically fear from a child of… twelve years or so, a witness is a witness. It's always better to stay as low profile as one can. Who knows what crimes might end up being necessary.

Ah yes, so Red is already mentally sharpening the knives to deal with Michi. Wonderful.
:copyka2:

"Say…" starts Michi, grasping her arms, "it's pretty cold and windy out here. There's an abandoned cabin nearby I like to hang out at. Do you wanna come?"

The ghost shyly nods - now with its true head instead of the mask.

"Alright, cool! This way."

This girl has no social life outside of her family and the ghostmons she talks to in the woods, doesn’t she? Since this is definitely different from what I remember most 12-year olds liking to do with their free time. ^^;

The two head back the way Michi came. As they get further, I begin to follow, careful not to rustle the vegetation too much. Soon, though, I reach the trail they're walking and thank my luck that it's a winding one. Were it a straight stretch, they'd spot me in an instant.

From the glimpses I see through the slivers between tree trunks and branches, I analyze the girl's appearance further. Hoodie, worn jeans, beanie, fingerless gloves. All shades of gray and brown, starkly contrasted by her chin-length pink hair and bright blue eyes. Her clothing seems shabby at first glance, but a longer look reveals it's still in good condition, only a bit dirty. Likely from all this forest trekking. So she's no princess, but she's no street rattata, either. Just a wild spirit. A bit like me?

>A bit like me?

I sure hope not, Red. Though I’m now reminded of that one Criminal Minds episode with the unsub that turned out to be a middle schooler.

No, nothing like me. She's helping someone, for one. Someone like me would never do that. The difference between us is the difference between a pichu and a houndoom.

… But aren’t Houndoom pack creatures, Red? Not sure if that comparison is saying quite what you want it to there. ^^

Though I suppose it’s a handy insight as to how Red’s mind works in this story given that he’s attempting to self-identify with different creatures that he sees a bit of himself in, even if the read doesn’t necessarily hold up under scrutiny.

“So,” the girl begins after her long silence, “what brought you to these woods? Where did you come from?”

"Aa, maa. Mah, maah, maah…"

"Ah, I see."

inb4 Joanna’s memories aren’t as nuked as it first seemed.

What was it, what did she say? Dammit, why does this thing need to talk in wails only? I know some ghosts can speak human language just fine… but this must not be one of them.

That actually makes me wonder if Pokémon sapience in this setting is independent of their ability to speak in human tongue. Since it’s clearly the case for Joanna here.

I continue to follow the two on their trail. With the ghost's backstory apparently not having much to ask about it - good for me, I suppose - the girl chooses to share her own. I ready myself for mental notes in case anything relevant is revealed, but not much is. She's just some orphan from Viridian that likes to screw around in nature. Used to live closer to these woods but was moved due to her orphanage getting too full. No human friends, but many ghost ones thanks to her rare ability to communicate with them. A bit predictable, honestly. I could've deduced this myself.

:heliodoubt:

No… you seemed to be putting a lot of this together right here and now, Red. Though I suppose that’d explain why Michi gives off vibes of not having much of a social life, and her thing for being around morbid entities related to death.

“Anyway," Michi continues, "I come back here a lot and stay at the cabin if the nights are warm enough. My friends would probably understand if I didn't come here anymore, but I couldn't leave them. They’re kinda like orphans in their own way… no parents, lonely and scared, people usually don't want much to do with them…”

:SadWott:

I mean, I didn’t think of things like that, but…

“M-ma…?”

“Oh, no, sorry, I mean… you're gonna be fine, that's what we're here for.”

“Ma…”

The two fall silent. It makes my steps seem louder again. I try my best to sync them up with the girl's, but it proves more difficult than expected due to her being a whole head shorter than me.

Yeah, Red’s totally going to get spotted before this chapter is over.

The branches seem sparser up ahead. Are we headed to a clearing?

"Okay, we're here," announces the girl. Oh, good.

I creep along the next stretch, keeping myself out of sight, and then stop. I can see the opening from here while the razz bushes still keep me hidden. A perfect spot for stalking.

Well that’s creepy how Red is mentally noting “you know, this is great terrain for sneaking up on an ambush”, but I suppose it’s definitely putting those predator motifs he self-identifies with to good use.

Stalking a little girl. Doesn't sound very good when I put it like that, does it.

Gee, ya think, Red?

Nevertheless, the girl and the ghost make their way through the opening to the cabin near its edge. It's clear the shack's been long abandoned by its legal owners - its red paint is peeling off, and splotches of mint green lichen cover some of the exposed planks. Dust and smudges coat the back window and surely any other windows as well. I'm rather surprised the glass is intact. If time doesn't get those, primeape-brained teens usually do.

I’m guessing the local ghostmon infestation helps a bit with keeping those primeape-brained teens at bay.

Michi leads the ghost into the cabin and closes the door. Keeping myself out of the window’s view, I sneak to the side of the building. This should be a safe enough spot to eavesdrop.

“Yeah, as I said, it’s not much,” says Michi, stretching. “Still, it’s cozy when you get used to it. Those blankets in the corner help.”

“...Mma?”

Actually, wait. Is Red still watching these two through the window right now? If not, would he really be able to perceive that Michi is stretching?

If so, it might make sense to take a sentence or so to say that a bit more explicitly.

“I -- well, places. People throw old stuff out. Even though it’s good. Like this cabin. Whoever lived in it left it long ago, but I still think it’s neat.”

Resourceful, this girl. Clearly she’s more capable than most of her snot-nosed peers - and even a good amount of adults.

Ah yes, a sign that she would be a bit harder to knock off than one might think at first.

“This mirror, too”, she continues. “Just because it’s cracked doesn’t mean it’s worthless. You can still see yourself just fine.”

“Haah...”

“...Do you know her?”

I lean forward.

Wait, is the mirror thing meant to be overheard or is Red seeing this in part? It might make sense to reiterate if he’s hearing without seeing the two or if he’s catching any glimpses.

“...Maa.”

“Oh... well, maybe with time.”

Time… time is of the essence, then, if the ghost’s supposed to remember something Joanna-related.

Wait, at what point did Red connect that Joanna was attempting to recall memories about herself? Since I actually didn’t pick up on that thus far. It might make sense to show the wheels spinning in Red’s head a bit more that leads him to this destination.

“Anyway, I’m gonna go gather some firewood. I’m gonna be back soon, just stay here. And make yourself at home.”

de7.png

The front door creaks open. I crouch. Do I need to sneak past the back window? Will the ghost spot me if I try? Wait, wait, the girl is going the other way. Return to the side wall, calmly, calmly…

Michi’s footsteps head to the start of another path leaving the opening and fade there. Seconds later, I dare to peek around the corner. No sign of her. I can let myself think.

Now I’ve got the opening refrain from the Master Quest season’s theme song stuck in my head. I would guess Red likely does too at this moment. ^^;

Alright. What should I do next? I want to know more about this ghost and this yamask species, and the girl clearly knows things… but just waiting to pick up information from casual conversation feels rather slow. Not to mention I can only understand one side.

Red, have you ever considered that it’d likely be less damaging to write Joanna off, since encountering her again is likely a risk for stirring her memories in and of itself?

This girl, though, must have learned what she knows from somewhere else, and most likely that’s a source accessible to everyone. Books. Or the internet… but that’s something I decided to never bother with again after the disastrous consequences of last time. I grit my teeth. Why couldn’t that trauma have just eroded away with time? It’s been six years…

Okay, now I’m morbidly curious as to what on earth happened with Red and his stint on the internet.

The library it is, then. Not only will I learn more about this species, I’ll likely find out how to kill it, too - and that’s something I can’t expect the girl to explain.

… Wait, they have books about ghost-killing available for mass circulation in this world? .-.

But… ugh, I still have these groceries to deal with, don’t I. I need to go home first. But then again, I’d have to go there anyway to get some supplies for keeping the girl out of my hair. Spores and duct tape come to mind. Yes, a visit home is imperative.

Ah yes, Red’s thought process is going places already.

I sneak back the way I came and adopt a more casual gait as I reach the forest path. Skulking would only make me more suspicious. From now on, I’m just somebody out for a walk. Enjoying nature.

He’s humming Duran Duran to himself during all of this, isn’t he? :V

And why wouldn’t I? Now that I don’t have a target to tail, I can take in the little wonders in my surroundings. Tiny white buds line the edge of the path - rawstberry plants that have yet to properly bloom. Above them sway branches of shrubs and evergreen trees alike, casting shadows in chaotic patterns. Between them hang stray strings of spiderweb… okay, that's not so nice, not a fan of spiders… but dry leaves and needles crunch beneath my sneakers, their blanket broken up by the occasional root slithering across the path. Outside the path, I can spot mounds of moss on the forest floor. They look soft enough to lie down on. Ah, nature… I’m glad there’s at least something that can cheer me up on these gloomy days --

“Stop where you are.”

Well, it was a nice walk through the woods right now.

...Hm.

It appears the girl has spotted me.

:copyka2~2:

Ah yes, time to see just how sideways things go right about now.

I turn around. It’s Michi, alright. I guess she repaid my sneaking by walking silently herself.

Red: “(Guess she was more like me than I thought.)” >.<

“Who are you, and what do you want?” she demands with an icy stare.

“I’m just passing by,” I say and continue walking - but she follows me.

“No, you’re not,” she says. “You were following us.”

Red: “... (She saw that?! How?!)”
:grohno~2:

How did she know? Did I not hide myself well enough? No, play it cool. She might be bluffing.

Narrator: “She is not bluffing.”

I keep my expression neutral. “You must be mistaken.”

“Your aura didn’t lie.”

Oh. Well that would explain how she understands those ghostmons so well. So she’s basically Rui, but younger.

"Aura?" She has aura powers, too?

She nods. "I can sense them. And yours was behind us the whole time. I thought that maybe some ursa had a thorn stuck in its paw… but clearly you're not here to ask for help. So what is it that you want?"

Huh, so even Michi picks up ‘predator’ vibes from Red. Though the choice of a Teddiursa/Ursaring is an interesting reflexive association.

I suppose her aura sense can't read minds if she has to ask. Hopefully that means I can still lie.

Sure hope that you’re a convincing liar there, Red. Since I’ll heavily take the over on Michi seeing through you if you’re not.

"Well, there was a yamask," I say. "You don't see those everyday. I was just curious."

"There's more to it than that. I can tell."

Yeah, I knew it.

I stop and narrow my eyes. She's persistent. "Shouldn't you be at school or something?"

"Shouldn't you?"

Ouch. She's got me there.

Wait, wait, wait. How old is Red right now? Since I was under the impression that he was meant to be college-aged for this story.

She steps closer, still confident. "Just cut the shit and tell me what you're after."

Well that’s unexpected coming from a 12-year old. Or I suppose not considering what I remember of some 12-year olds, but definitely a sign that Michi is a bit less innocent than initially presumed.

"Language," I mutter.

"You're not my mom."

"Yeah. I'm alive."

Her face flushes up. I smirk. Now we're even.

Wow, Red. Just wow.

"Fine," she grumbles, "be like that, then. But I better not see you around here anymore."

I snort. "Or what? What's a little girl gonna do to me?"

She reaches into her pocket and pulls out something plastic --

Click! A blade springs out. Thin, sharp. That would hurt. That would hurt to get stabbed with. She's going to stab me if I get any closer. No, I don't want to get stabbed –

Okay, yeah. Michi is definitely a lot less innocent than she initially seems. Though I’m surprised that Red wasn’t carrying a knife of his own that he reflexively went for right now.

Wait. Wait. Something's off. She's just a kid. And that knife is pretty small. She probably wouldn't even dare to actually use it. Why did I get so startled?

...I get it. Aura. She must have tried to influence mine, pushing for a fight or flight response to make her little weapon seem more intimidating.

… She can do that? .-.

Though I suppose that’s why Red didn’t go for his own weapon right then and there.

Well, unfortunately for her, my lord has shown me things much more terrifying, and I've returned to serve HIM each time. I'm not about to back away from a toddler wielding cutlery. Especially not when I have a blade of my own.

Well, she's in for a shock, then. Predator's pride burning in my chest, I reach for my…

Wait.

Oh, so Red did have a weapon on him all this time.

Think about what you're doing. If you take out your knife, she'll see what you're capable of, physically and mentally. Faced with that danger, she might decide to gather some of her friends for security or even take the new ghost somewhere else. And then it'll be a lot harder, if not impossible, for you to get rid of the ghost.

You need to yield. You need to falter. You need to give her the illusion that you're just another mareep. Hide your fangs.

inb4 Michi can sense that Red is sizing her up right now and attempting to put up a front.

I douse my heart with freezing humility and step back. "Whatever," I mutter.

Just before I turn around, I can see triumph in her eyes. It's a triumph for me as well, even if this shame makes me shudder. But I'll get to show my true colors yet.

This paragraph IMO works a bit better cut up into pieces, though I’m honestly surprised that Red’s gambit pulled off. Makes me wonder if Michi wasn’t the first Aura-sensitive that he’s run into.

I resume my journey back to the graveyard. A few seconds in, a glance over my shoulder confirms Michi has gone her own way as well.

Aura powers, huh. Those could be a problem… were I not a Helixian. I'm rather sure that the psychic nullification seal will make me invisible to that sense of hers, and if not, there'll be some other seal for it. Once I get home, I can read up on the specifics. May as well look for anything on ghosts, too, while I'm at it. I'll gladly make use of any knowledge HE gifts me. Or HIS texts, to be more exact. I shouldn't bother HIM in vain. And I don't want HIM to see me with that… task unfinished.

Boy, that Lord Helix has a convenient spell for just about everything, huh?

I'll just settle this on my own. After all, it's just one ghost. With good luck, it'll be dead by tonight, and that girl will have no memory of it.

bender-laughing.gif

<><><>

Soon enough, I return home. Having unpacked the groceries, I pay my hidden room a visit and check the Helixian texts - psychic nullification works against aura as far as I can understand the description, yes… but there are no instructions on dealing with ghosts that I could easily read with my level of linguistic knowledge. Maybe I could decipher the pages given a day or two, but it's more likely I'll get what I'm after faster and more accurately from the library.

There’s enough of a jump of time and place in this paragraph that I wonder if it’d have worked a bit better with a hard scene cut instead of continuing on without a break.

After carving the psychic nullifier into my wrist and patching up the wounds, I copy the memory-eraser's pattern to my notebook to make sure I don't get it wrong. Then I gather the supplies I think I'll need in my backpack… vial of spores, rag, duct tape, scissors, naturally the notebook… anything else?

I can tell that Red’s got some scars on him once you roll up those sleeves of his.

I don't think there's anything else. I should be ready to go. I should hurry up, too - these things ended up taking longer than I initially expected. The clock of the kitchen’s microwave tells me it’s ten to three already.

Ten… to… three.

Shit.

Red: “... Wait a minute, why’s this a problem again?”
:joltyshrug~1:

The front door opens, and in steps Abe.

“Red! Are you ready to go?”

Red: “... Right. That’s why this is a problem.

Alright, a bit of a shorter chapter this time, but altogether, I thought that it was put together quite well. The prose is pretty smooth, and it does a pretty good job at getting the reader into Red’s head as it marches along to the beat of its own murderous drum in service of HIM. It’s definitely a very unconventional interpretation of the character, but it owns the dynamic well and makes it work well enough. Some of the worldbuilding was pretty fun to see get teased at in this chapter, and it makes me wonder how much more of it will come out later down the pipe (unless that was what the planned library visit was for). Something to look forward to, I guess.

I don’t have too much to complain about with this chapter. There were a couple spots where I felt like things could’ve been described a bit more or a bit more context provided, and I feel like the tail end where Red returns home could’ve easily worked as a standalone scene, but I… honestly didn’t see a lot of issues prose-wise. The one thing that I do wish had been played up a bit more is delving a bit more on HIM and the significance of the TPP elements for Red given that it’s a huge part of his motivations and presumably his rationalizations for which murders are acceptable and which ones need to be left alone, but even without it, the chapter still held up enough to be followed fine.

Well, I officially feel vindicated in making a point in reading this story on Halloween. Since the vibe was just as
as I was expecting, and it gelled decently well with the holiday atmosphere. Hope that the feedback helped you out a bit, @canisaries , and best of luck with your continued writings.

canisaries

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Thanks for the review!

Wait, Gastly can do that in this setting? .-.
Gastly are able to create illusions in the anime, like in the episode with the infamous mongoose and Venustoise.

That actually makes me wonder if Pokémon sapience in this setting is independent of their ability to speak in human tongue. Since it’s clearly the case for Joanna here.
Since I don't think it's addressed in the story: sapience is required to speak human languages (unless you're just parroting words), but there are many species which cannot speak despite being sapient. Yamask is one of them.

Actually, wait. Is Red still watching these two through the window right now? If not, would he really be able to perceive that Michi is stretching?
The stretching is audible from her voice, but you're right in that it could be more explicitly stated.

He’s humming Duran Duran to himself during all of this, isn’t he? :V
Well, Hungry Like The Wolf is the Hunter, Haunted song.

Wait, wait, wait. How old is Red right now? Since I was under the impression that he was meant to be college-aged for this story.
Red is 18 and should still be in high school (if he hadn't dropped out), but I admit that he's kind of on the edge.

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
Hello, here for catnip! …And it is belated, but I have written A Long Jumbled One so hopefully it balances out

Because I’ve already read to the end of Hunter Haunted, this review will be for the remaining five chapters, from 10 – 14.

The first thing I have to say is, wow! Not sure if I said it before, but you really do write a good thriller tbh. I haven’t seen American psycho, but know you cite it as an inspiration, and the vibes from what I know bleed into here well – you do a great job of painting Red as someone no-one is going to take the side of or consider a good person, but somehow we all end up rooting for him out of morbid fascination. Which is a really stunning achievement; it was kind of trippy watching this guy just dig his hole deeper and deeper and somehow not being able to look away out of sheer fascination. I think the visceral writing helps a lot in this regard; you take full advantage of first-person POV and really lean into his mindspace as much and as vividly as you can. It offers a platform for Red’s feelings and experiences to be very vividly related to us, but at the same time we understand that he’s very much the villain in this scenario, so it reads a bit more like a paradoxical villain study than the journey of a legitimate hero, which I think lends this fic a lot of the tone here.

I also liked the playing around you do with the line between Red’s insanity and what’s genuinely real. Obviously the spiders are a product of his imagination, and I’m guessing a lot of stuff with regards to The Beast is probably at least partly in his head (the beast seeming to represent what Red aspires to be, which is innate and overwhelming power but also a savage animal), even if the Beast itself is a Helix manifestation. I think iirc you might have said the stuff with HELIX is real?

This gets a lot more trippy when Joanna gets into the picture, and we see that she’s probably been messing with Red’s head for a good amount of the fic. The hallucinations take centre stage for her part, and you do a really good job of passing Red’s uncertainty onto the reader. I loved the thriller elements that naturally arose out of the cold and calculated way he handled everything, while at the same time having no idea what was going to happen next or if what he was seeing was even real. The Samson hostage situation was peak writing, as was the bit with Vivarium (Vivarium legit gaslit me tbh). It also showcases just how chilling Red can be, from the way he takes advantage of Samson to what his inner monologue says when he’s manipulating his brother in the hospital.

I will say on that note, one of my criticisms is that we kind of don’t really get a clear picture of what’s going on with HELIX? I think this fic sort of spawned out of the twitch plays pokemon biosphere, so I assume there’s probably supporting context there that the reader is assumed to know to some extent, but idk if it’s made its way into the fic as much. The basics have always been clear; Red is trying to resurrect his dark lord by murdering and eating people and also fulfil his cannibal power fantasy fetish, and to become the vessel he needs to free himself of all human emotions, which he can’t do because anger and hate and fear are also emotions and as he rids himself of the other side of the scale he’s more and more beholden to them; but it is definitely interesting sort of contrasting what gets said about Helix/The Twitch in the discord and how comparatively fuzzy the big picture is here. I will say in particular I’m kind of confused at why HELIX is somehow tied to this random-ass Omanyte that doesn’t actually seem to be Him? (or maybe this was explained in an earlier chapter and it’s been so long I forgot) And fwiw I don’t think it necessarily needs to be in there? It’s a story about Red first and foremost, and if a loredump doesn’t have a place there then it shouldn’t need to be present. Those things mostly just occur to me as things that could be interesting to learn more about – I definitely want to know a bit more about HELIX, or what the Twitch is and why Red is so traumatised by it that he can’t even bring it up in his head.

After Red gets arrested, he’s taken to have an exorcism performed on him and largely gets a lucky break after that – he’ll be in court, but it seems like he can mostly waive responsibility by claiming Joanna made him do all those things. I do have to say that your commitment to preserving real life processes and details in your works is really commendable – your work has a grounded and unique tone because of that, and it shines through really well here.

On the overall scale, I do sort of feel like this is a story less about Red trying to cover up a former murder, and more about the paradox of Red’s futility. He believes he’s all powerful or at least destined to be, he’s going to be the eternal vessel of The Dark Lord, he’s so much better than those dumb sheeple mareep and just to prove it he actually slaughters and eats them like sheep. But when push comes to shove, he’s… not really in control of anything? He gets dragged to therapy and can’t do anything about it; he entertains fantasies of mass killings but mostly scuttles around people who consider him a creepy weirdo; he overwhelms Michi and Samson, humans weaker than him, with his physical strength, but can’t do anything against pokemon like Machamp or Arcanine. Even in his mind he’s not in control; he professes mental strength and dominance, but more and more he can’t seem to differentiate between what’s real and what’s not, and even he can tell it’s not 100% Joanna’s doing. He’s great at being a run-of-the-mill serial killer, but he’s failing in the one thing he professes to care about – becoming HELIX’s vessel. I think there’s a distinct irony in how the more he tries to sever himself from positive emotions in his quest to become emotionless, the more Red becomes beholden to emotion. He’s paranoid, filled with rage, he takes glee and delight in his actions often, he expresses contempt and hate for those around him, and nearly all of his actions are based in fear. You could also stretch it I guess and say that his ultimate fear is dying, and he thinks the remedy to that is becoming HELIX’s body (which is an extremely animal and irrational fear, as I assume HELIX would not leave much room for Red in there), but well, HELIX had a body and now he doesn’t, so even if Red accomplishes his ‘ultimate purpose’ he’s likely to ultimately fail in that too. I think it’s a fitting end for him to sort of admit that and allow those emotions back into his life again – he’s stopped struggling against what is an inevitable part of being human, even though he spurns being human, and in the process is at least letting some people back into his life a little bit.

Overall, I thought this was a really good fic! You have put an extreme amount of polish and effort into your work, and it shows – tbh I think this is a lot better than what gets put on most public shelves, and if/when you take it original (as you were talking about iirc) I would expect it to do really well. Super interested to look at the sequel and some of the side content too, you’ve set up a really compelling premise and I want to see where else you’ll take it.

Good read, and good luck with your future writing endeavours!

~SparklingEspeon

canisaries

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Ohhh my goddd I'm so happy reading your comments 😊😊😊 Thank you so much for the kind words!

I will say on that note, one of my criticisms is that we kind of don’t really get a clear picture of what’s going on with HELIX? I think this fic sort of spawned out of the twitch plays pokemon biosphere, so I assume there’s probably supporting context there that the reader is assumed to know to some extent, but idk if it’s made its way into the fic as much. The basics have always been clear; Red is trying to resurrect his dark lord by murdering and eating people and also fulfil his cannibal power fantasy fetish, and to become the vessel he needs to free himself of all human emotions, which he can’t do because anger and hate and fear are also emotions and as he rids himself of the other side of the scale he’s more and more beholden to them; but it is definitely interesting sort of contrasting what gets said about Helix/The Twitch in the discord and how comparatively fuzzy the big picture is here. I will say in particular I’m kind of confused at why HELIX is somehow tied to this random-ass Omanyte that doesn’t actually seem to be Him? (or maybe this was explained in an earlier chapter and it’s been so long I forgot) And fwiw I don’t think it necessarily needs to be in there? It’s a story about Red first and foremost, and if a loredump doesn’t have a place there then it shouldn’t need to be present. Those things mostly just occur to me as things that could be interesting to learn more about – I definitely want to know a bit more about HELIX, or what the Twitch is and why Red is so traumatised by it that he can’t even bring it up in his head.

Yeah, the whole HELIX thing is admittedly a mess. Little Helix being tied to HELIX is basically 100% just because of the fic's origins in TPP, which is why Little Helix isn't even going to be a character in the originalized version - I'm just going to replace Him with a cat that Red is fond of so that there's still something to fill the role of an entity that Red can't sever his attachment to. (Technically, there is something in The Bringer where Little Helix being tied to HELIX matters, but it won't break the story not to have it there with the cat.)

I will be honest and say that the whole Twitch thing will only continue to be swept under the rug in the sequel, as that's another thing that will be completely gone from the originalized version. The Twitch is, however, addressed more in Seiren, the story before HH, if you're interested... although there's also a chance that I'll make it noncanon at some point due to its generally wackier plot. At the moment, though, it's still canon as its events have been referenced in HH and The Bringer.

Thank you so much for reading through the whole thing, and thank you again for the review!

slamdunkrai

bing.com
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. darkrai
  2. snom
Heyo, here for chapter four! This one moves the plot along well; it reaffirms Red as a direct threat in Michi's life and sees him catch back up with Joanna to complete his plan. And he completed it! There are no chapters in the story after this one. Great work, Red!

On a broader level, being made a ghost is an ontological issue; ghost stories are predisposed towards exploring a loss of control over the type of personhood you possess and how other beings you relate to you. Being the murderer in a ghost story means you are involved in those issues; when faced with the ghost you have made, you are faced with your failure to eradicate someone from having ever existed at all, and in turn the narrative you've forged out of the act (as well as your role in it) is suddenly exposed as insufficient. You killed someone, after all; you were the wholly justified vanquisher, the bringer of conclusion and the person with one less problem now — and suddenly you're not sure what type of character you are in this narrative, you're not sure how much of a say you get over that, and in turn even the act of exerting your will upon the world takes up a whole new meaning; you're left trying to retroactively make sure your explanations while also, if you're Red, making steps to try and regain that control however you can. This is a long way of saying that this is the sort of set-up that makes this kind of story ripe for excellent psychological drama.

Red tries to answer all of these questions in this chapter in a really fascinating way: obviously, he views his actions through his Helixian lens and has always maintained that Joanna was a sacrifice to Helix, but he cannot scratch under the surface because he does not seem to believe he possesses an authentic self beneath all of that. He is a really, really fucking boring person, and I think the fic is so readable in large part because of this. It's a double-edged sword because, as I come back to this fic each time and allow myself to sit with it, I always get the sense that the first-person perspective could delve deeper into his personhood; a lot of the fic is written via Red responding to insights without ever really seeming to grapple with or even register their significance — he grapples with the bug at the therapist's office and the pidgey here, he asks himself what to do about them, he reiterates his plans to himself and attempts to factor them into those plans, and yet delving beneath the prose I am not convinced he registers these things even exist sometimes when he's not directly thinking about them. He shifts between his metaphorical state of being a lot, describing himself as a playwright or a performer or someone watching a performance or a genuine predator at his core seemingly on a whim, because I don't think he knows who he is as his own person. Which, like, yeah, being a religious cultist will erode your sense of identity like that! Similarly, he confuses a pidgey for Michi just on the back of his own state of mind and one or two tangential details, and I think this paranoia is equally able to be traced to his inability to perceive anything at all beyond his own obsessions.

I think this is a bit of a double-edged sword in terms of my enjoyment of the story, because on the one hand while it gives the prose a genuinely interesting effect — when you delve beneath the surface of his inner monologue, there is nothing but vapid insight and uncertainty, and that says a lot about his character — and at the same time there are moments where I feel like an exploration of this absence of personhood gets shied away from a little for stuff that I don't personally find as interesting, e.g. the moment where he puts on Joanna's mask and seems mostly interested in how comfortable it is to wear or his ruminations on his ability to break a pidgey's bones. (If anything, though I think the depictions of gore here and the reflections on his relationship with the violence he could commit as well as that which he does are well-written, I think they're a little disproportionate in terms of the chapter as a whole; yes, he's got this juvenile fascination with blood and guts and the thin line between a person's innards and their exterior, but at parts these feel like re-runs of the way these themes were handled in the story's opening without iterating on them in ways that interact with the increasing amount of information we get about Red.)

That being said: I thought this chapter was still very good on the whole. The way he captures Michi and seems to get so thoroughly antagonised by some kid is funny, just as is the comically over-the-top way he thinks to handle this situation; it's almost a comedy of errors here, and I imagine there'll be punchlines by the dozen when it turns out that he actually didn't manage to perma-kill Joanna or his mask haunts him or something (or, you know, he just isn't really dealing with the threat posed by Michi in a way that achieves anything.) There is also enough intrigue in the way you write pokémon as legitimate creatures who interact with (and in some cases are even members of) society in their own different ways, and who have their own inner worlds, to ensure there's always something to learn about the world this fic depicts whenever one of them shows up.

Great work, as ever! I promise I will actually finish this one one of these days. Maybe during Blitz, if I can find the time for it; it's high up on my list of priorities as far as TR-fic goes in any case.

Line-by-lines:
Possibly even snap one of its hollow, delicate bones whose light frame allow it its flight.
Everything past "bones" feels extraneous for me in a way I can't justify even with the whole "this guy is obsessed with his own intelligence because there is a void where his personality is" angle
“You’re not very bright, are you.”

Well, neither are you, if you know who you’re dealing with...
Not sure about that second line -- making it a conditional "if" statement doesn't seem to work imo
Oh, her useless struggle is so amusingly pathetic.
His vapidity and delusions of grandeur are really well-reflected by how purple this prose is, which is a good stylistic flourish
Because I like being an asshole, I lean even closer, right next to her ear. Nose to her temple, I take a deep sniff. She growls.

I chuckle, withdrawing. “I’m just kidding! I’m not that weird.”
Again, I do not think this guy knows who he is
Excitement, drama! This is what I’ve been missing.
Ties into my point on the thing about how he fluctuates between viewing this as performative and... not; I can't tell where he stands on how much of this is a role for him and that's a good thing
There should only be one life. I only have one life. No one else deserves more.
[...]
She knows I’m killing her. I am ending her.
This is incredibly dull which is, again, good; he is unable to place any greater significance onto the action this chapter has been leading towards, instead describing the climactic bloody action in obvious matter-of-fact statements that seem deep but are in fact entirely obvious, and it reflects his inability to produce anything of interest in the moment in his own right. It's one of the rare moments thus far where I've found his affect genuinely unnerving instead of funny

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Hi Canis, I’m here to fufil my catnip. I’m only going to cover the prologue today, but I went ahead and read both.

The intended prologue is probably honestly just below my personal gore tolerance, so please note that it could color some of my thoughts on it. That said, after reading both I think it is the one people should read if they’re able, because it does such a great job of setting tone and expectations. I think the opening, where we only get short disjointed thoughts (presumably because Red is still coming to and getting his bearings after his suspected possession), is really strong. Then you have the shifts between his excitement over his successful ritual, and the almost… clinical(?) and nonchalant description of the viscera around him. It all paints a picture of a fairly erratic personality.

This prologue also does a great job of building up to the name drop. You have this focus on the corpse and how he desecrated it, but he doesn't even remember her name until right at the end. Overall this version of the prologue sets a nice chilling tone that I think sets the stage for the story better.

That's not to say that the alternate prologue is bad. I actually like it quite a bit as well. It has some really useful information that shows some of the reasons why Red has never been caught. Most notably, there's nothing left of the bodies, save for his trophies.

It also sets Red up as the funniest motherfucker around, NGL. The fact that he just starts internally monologuing about how great HE is, and how he’s been chosen by HIM and how great that is? Absolutely hilarious. We see some of his personality in the main prologue, but it absolutely shines here.

Like I said though, I do think this is the weaker of the two prologues. The buildup isn't as strong, and it kind of makes the whole “ritualistic murder” thing feel detached. But it's the alternate prologue for a reason, so I'm not really faulting that. Just making an observation.

My only other critique is a nitpick, really.

A gentle breeze blows through the streets of the neighborhood.

The trees and bushes sway gently in this wind, showing off their emerging leaves or the needles that braved through the winter.
Personally, the second sentence feels just a bit awkwardly worded. I think the main issue is the use of “this wind” when I think “the wind” would work better.

Outside of that, I don't really have any complaints. I'm not deep enough into HH at this point to judge whether it's a type of story I'd enjoy, but I'd definitely be open to reading more of it in the future. The prologue solidly sets the scene and makes me want to know how things go downhill for Red from here.

That said, I think I've covered what I wanted to cover. So I'll end the review here. Until next time.

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
Alright, I'm here for your catnip! Hope you have a splendid day and here's the review!

So I've read both of the prologues and I have to say that the first one was certainly... dark. Like I had some expectations for what I was about to read but I was certainly not expecting it to be like that.

 I'm not normally a fan of gore or at least incredibly detailed gore, frankly I would rather avoid things that sounded like it'd be nothing but gore porn as I would rather have it be something that serves the plot but I digress. Anyway, onto the actual fic, there were a couple I really liked about the first prologue and one of them was the way Red describes the gore, it really feels poetic and highlights how he thinks and what kind of a person he is in how he describes the corpse. The ideas do make me intrigued in how the story will play out.

For the second prologue, I'll be honest. I know it's not mandatory to reach both of them but the tone switch between the two was so vastly different, it almost gave me whiplash. The first prologue felt more like the tone that the story was going for and it really sets me up for how the rest of the story will follow through but then I read the second and it felt really weird since I was expecting more dark and grounded and less... teenager superhero-ish fic? I don't really know how to describe it other than the beginning felt odd as it feels like it's trying to use a tone that doesn't feel right. Don't get me wrong though, it is good on its own but I think I prefer the 1st prologue over the second since the 1st style and tone are a lot more immersive for this kind of story.

Anyway, that should be it for now. Maybe I'll get to actually reading the 1st chapter someday. I really did enjoy the prologues so tah-tah!

canisaries

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Thanks for the review!
For the second prologue, I'll be honest. I know it's not mandatory to reach both of them but the tone switch between the two was so vastly different, it almost gave me whiplash. The first prologue felt more like the tone that the story was going for and it really sets me up for how the rest of the story will follow through but then I read the second and it felt really weird since I was expecting more dark and grounded and less... teenager superhero-ish fic? I don't really know how to describe it other than the beginning felt odd as it feels like it's trying to use a tone that doesn't feel right. Don't get me wrong though, it is good on its own but I think I prefer the 1st prologue over the second since the 1st style and tone are a lot more immersive for this kind of story.
Well, the fact is that the second prologue is not actually far from the rest of the story in style. Both prologues show elements that are present in successive chapters - the first shows how Red is when he's deep into his whole Helixian priest persona, and the second shows him how he acts in mundane situations. The first prologue should be read right before the first chapter so that the reader sees how disconnected the person Red thinks he is from the person he actually is - not a badass bringer of death, but rather just a depressed high school dropout. The gore also primes the reader for what's to come - it kind of informs people of what they're signing up for so that no one gets blindsided by when things get gory again later on. It also does establish Red's character, as you mentioned.

Top Bottom