• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fall 2020 Mafia - Game Thread

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Unvote: Fusion
Vot: DeliriousAbsol

I mulled it over for a bit and I think she's probably sketchier than Fusion, plus I'd like to actually lynch someone I'm suspicious of and that requires a wagon. Seems maybe a bit late but I'm gonna switch to Del and maybe one more person would be interested in going after her so we can actually have a lynch today?

I'm also okay with repeating last game Espy if necessary.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
I'm also okay with repeating last game Espy if necessary.

Anyway, about the inactives, next day phase we could try to ping them and have them roleclaim. Something similar was done with Espy last game. If they're Mafia, difficult for them to bluff bc they're not paying much attention. Then we get info and stuff. I'm tired and incoherent, sorry. Players from last game can explain.
By the first quote I meant the second quote.

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
It’s random, per the Day 1 opening post.

It seems like the more experienced players want a daykill, and TBH the outcomes aren’t that bad. If we hit scum, we end up taking an early lead. If we don’t, at least we’ll have information to go off of. Doing nothing means that at the start of Day 2 the only kills will be ones the mafia chooses to control people’s assumptions and maybe a vigilante’s shot in the dark. I don’t like that. And because the only option that can be killed at this point is DeliriousAbsol, let’s go with that.

P.S. Forgot the Espy solution, that does make a fair bit of sense, especially in a game that might have a fair few info roles.

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Side note: my supervisor is asking me to come in to work when the Day 1 is supposed to end. Would people prefer it if I cut it short (but about an hour) or give an extension of roughly 2-3 hours?

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
I'm fine with either. I doubt the lynch vote will change much either way, but the one thing I think worth noting is that an extension might give del (might, IDK how early she'll come online) a chance to defend herself.

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
I don't know how long I'll be at work, so the day is extended to end at 9 AM UTC/5 AM EST.

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
EDIT: Thanks for the extension, guys =3

OOC: I just want to point out I'm actually not an experienced player, having only played one game and getting night-killed the first night (and my guess in that game WAS actually at a mafia member, and I'd been picked off out of suspicion of having an info-role since it was day 1. It was nothing more than a blind guess. Infinite did not have an info-role, but he did have a role. Hence where my theory is coming from here.)

And given Enigma is now being hounded, I have increased suspicions concerning Persephone and Equita, who had been backing each other, and are now defending Tanuki... DW, I have no idea about atm. But on this basis, I am now believing there are three mafia members among us.

Last edited:

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Even with the extension, I’m heading to bed, so don’t expect much from me. Please don’t set everything on fire while I’m gone >w<;

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Day 1 End

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Everyone milled about, people and Pokemon alike, arguing and pointing fingers at each other. The only two who did not partake in the mutual attacking were Detective Looker and Luna, who instead stood off to the side as they watched the scene unfold. Enigma raised an accusing finger at the Raichu and was met with other accusing fingers pointing back at him.

Enigma gave another glance at the creatures he'd been stuck with, his blood running cold. Too many were against him now. Not that he wasn't used to it, but somehow it really unsettled him this time around. Perhaps he'd played the villain for so long he was incapable of playing the hero? Or incapable of convincing others of that fact?

His eye wandered to Desper for another moment. He couldn't put his claw on it, but something felt very off about that raichu, and the way supporters had rallied around him so quickly... it was either down to his smooth-talking, or some level of trickery was afoot.

A primal fear filled Enigma, and he tried to warp away to the safety of the trees, but something held him in place. Wait, he was trapped? But how was that possible? He couldn't see anything!

With a more frantic glance at those he was rapidly beginning to see as his enemies, he vanished into thin air like someone snuffing out a candle.

It was as if he'd been ejected from reality, if you could call this reality. All that remained beneath the tree was a sinister air, and a ringing warning that perhaps everyone should indeed sleep with one eye open?

Enigma (DeliriousAbsol) has been eliminated. He was Innocent.

3 Abstain:
Tanuki, Fusion, Shiny Phantump
1 Tanuki
: DeliriousAbsol
1 Waffle
: windskull
3 DeliriousAbsol: Persephone, DawningWinds,
Equitia
No vote: Waffle, SparklingEspeon

Night 2 begins now. Every player has 37 hours to submit their night actions. Day 2 will begin Midnight UTC/8 PM EST October 13. From there on, every phase will be exactly 48 hours.

Last edited:
Day 2 Start

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck

People groggily stumble out of the little makeshift tents they had each put up, rubbing their eyes against the chill air. They all wanted to get out of there quickly—and they would get out of there (hopefully soon), but until then, it was more comforting to have some sort of shelter where they could try and keep out the moaning and groaning of the spirits. Several of the Pokemon had dug little makeshift burrows in the ground. Desper alone had slept in the wide open, his hat tipped just below his eyes and his pistol in hand. Any who were not yet up and about awoke to the sound of howls in the distance, sending hairs rising along peoples’ and Pokemon’s backs.

“Okay, do we have everyone?” Detective Looker asks. He points to each person as he mentally tallies those who are left.

Salac looked around uncertainly. It was the first night that those who were possessed would attack—who had they taken from their world? Almost reluctantly, she also started counting off those who remained.

But as she and the others looked around and counted who was left, each of them felt a weight lifting from their hearts.

“All right,” Looker said. “Looks like everyone is still here.”

No one has been eliminated. Discussion is now open for Day 2 and will continue until Midnight UTC/8 PM EST October 15.

A quick reminder: please don’t communicate with any players who are “dead” about game play.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
(This was prewritten before the start of the day, so the roleplay does not reference the night's outcome.)

[[
Ashwood strode to the center of the clearing, their clothes wrinkled and dirty, their hair askew, dark bags under their eyes. They had barely slept, had tossed and turned and writhed in guilt all night. But then, things had become clear. They knew what they had to do.

“Everyone,” they said, “I have some things to confess.” Once they had caught all of the other survivors’ attention, Ashwood took a breath, tightened their hands into fists, and continued:

“Yesterday, I voted for Enigma. It was before anyone else did. It was just in my head, but I could tell it counted. I… I don’t know why I did it. I did think she was suspicious, but ever since I arrived here it’s like someone had been screwing with my brain…”

They shook their head. “I can’t tell y’all how sorry I am. If it weren’t for me, an innocent person would still be alive. I’m sorry... but I have to put it out of my mind for now. Enigma is dead, but the rest of us aren’t. And I think I have something that could help us find who the real killers are.

“When I came here, I got this thing, this ability in my head. I know some of y’all got abilities too, because mine lets me check them. Every night I can see if someone used an ability and if it worked or not. The first night I was here, I checked Shimmer.” They pointed at the Kirlia.

“My results told me her ability didn’t work. At first, I thought it just meant she couldn’t be the actual killer, 'cause the killer wasn't allowed to kill first night. But yesterday I got to thinking. Why would her ability be unsuccessful? The only way would be if someone here can block other people.

“But, if someone can block abilities… the person who took us here wants us to play a game, wants the sides to be fair so it’s more entertaining. The ability to block others wouldn’t work well if you didn’t know who was on your side – otherwise you’d be more likely to hurt than help. That means this blocker is most likely on the killer’s team. That also means, unless some other people switched things around, an innocent person wouldn’t be blocked. That would mean Shimmer is innocent.

Ashwood coughed. "Also I am, since y'know."
]]

So yes, Ashwood’s role is something called Concrete Results. Concrete Results allows me to check a player to tell if they used an ability or not. When I targeted Windskull N0, the results came back “unsuccessful”.

I had some thoughts N1, asked Starlight some questions, and she confirmed: I get “no result” if I check a player who has no ability, has a passive ability, or who doesn’t use their ability; I get “successful” if a player uses their ability; and I get “unsuccessful” if my target uses an ability but it didn’t work. I would get unsuccessful in cases like if a Mafia targeted someone Bulletproof, but there were no kills on N1. Roleblocking seems to be the only possible scenario.

There is 100% a roleblocker in this game. Townie roleblockers/jailkeepers exist, but they are generally uncommon, and I do not think they would be very viable in a smaller, role-focused game like this one. A vanilla roleblocker is much more likely to help than hinder, and something like a jailkeeper seems overpowered. The issue that the roleblocker is townie is by far my biggest hang-up, but I think a townie roleblocker is unlikely enough to risk it.

Windskull/Shimmer is most likely innocent. The only scenarios where they aren’t would be if a townie bus driver switched things around or if the roleblocker is town, which, again, unlikely.

Since we got noobs here, my roleclaiming is not a cue for you to do so also. The only exception is if you’re a bus driver who switched Windskull and someone else N0. Even still, wait. If you’re an unlikely townie roleblocker, DO. Flipping. NOT. (And oops, miscalculation on my part.) (And I shouldn't have to tell you to keep doing what you're doing, considering what happened tonight.)

I should also acknowledge that the innocent I helped get lynched did spend her final breaths accusing me; even without my roleclaim, the idea that I as mafia attacked both my teammates (when no one else was expressing suspicion) in a gambit where their follow-up defenses convince people they’re town is unlikely. Check last game where I was mafia -- I purposefully didn't interact much with my teammate. I’m innocent. I’m very inclined to believe Tanuki is innocent. Persephone is still kind of sus.

Del if you’re reading this, my bad :(

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
A townie roleblocker probably would've held off night zero, not wanting to blocking a useful information role, especially since there was no nightkill that they had a chance of blocking. Windskull was almost definitely blocked by Mafia. I don't think there being a townie roleblocker is completely impossible regardless, though, because last game we DID have both a town bus driver and a Mafia bus driver, plus I've seen quite a few town roblockers.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[Shimmer looked up at the human. Her mouth agape in surprise. "How did you..." She shook her head. No need to worry about that part. "You're right, I did do something the first night we were here. Or tried to, at least." She laughed weakly. "Seems I wasn't as careful as I should have been. I should have paid more attention. Maybe if I had been, the banette..." No, it was best not to dwell on that.]]

Huh, I was... not expecting that. Neither the lack of kill nor your ability, Equita. But you are correct that I have an active night action, though I'll avoid saying which for now, unless it becomes necessary. Considering that would be a very risky claim to gamble on, I definitely believe that you're town as of rn.

I noticed that Del hadn't changed her vote right before I went to bed. Which, if she had been Mafia, I would have expected her to pull a no jail. Kind of wish I had done so, but I don't know that it would have been a good idea in the end.

Now to puzzle together what happened last night. Either we got a lucky shot with a doctor, the mafia hit a bulletproof character, or some sort of shenanigans happened, like a town busdriver swapping the mafia killer and whoever the mafia roleblocked.

Last thing for now until I get a few more thoughts worked out: I once again want to press Sparkling Espeon and Waffle to post something. Since the day just started I'll avoid pinging for now.

Top Bottom