• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fall 2020 Mafia - Game Thread

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
I mean, hey, I've never done this before. I'm treating this like I would Among Us but with more RP involved. If accidentally killing someone or voting randomly works, then I'm all for it. But Kora himself wouldn't have voted someone out turn 1 unless someone convinced him too.
Okay. Here's the thing, you don't want your actual to be random. But throwing around random votes at the beginning of D1, in my experience, do seem to get to generating discussion about actual players a lot faster than debating lynch vs. no lynch, which leads to scum hunting, which leads to information, which leads to actually finding and eliminating scum.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"Hold on, killing?" Kora tilted his head to the side. "Since when was there a killer?"

Killing was bad, surely no one would kill someone here. It would be really bad to kill someone you just met. He did his best to not show his growing fear. "U-Uh, can I vote that we don't kill anyone? That would be fun, right? Not killing someone?"

[I guess I'll copy some o' yall and have ooc thoughts like this. Am I cool now?]

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Okay. Here's the thing, you don't want your actual to be random. But throwing around random votes at the beginning of D1, in my experience, do seem to get to generating discussion about actual players a lot faster than debating lynch vs. no lynch, which leads to scum hunting, which leads to information, which leads to actually finding and eliminating scum.

Bruh I swear I refreshed twice and your message loaded just now. I shall keep that knowledge in mind. Thanks.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Okay, I think I did my own misunderstanding with Persephone. When she said everyone should pick a random person, I first thought she meant every single player, literally everyone, should use an RNG to pick another at random. I do not think everyone should choose their own target because that would cast too wide a net, but have some votes floating around, yes. If, like, six out of nine of us are targetted, I think that's too much. But two or three to start, sure.

(Correct me if I'm wrong about anything. I'm not extremely experienced at Mafia. Especially considering there was no random voting going on during TR's last two games.)

Anyway, to order my opinions, from most confident to least --
1 -- Vote off Persephone
2 -- Vote off an inactive
3 -- Vote off nobody

I feel less strongly about voting off Persephone now, though. I still don't like her pointing out that people who offer suggestions may have roles, and I don't like her calling me out for choosing a person who has no evidence on them, because yeah, that's what one does at the beginning of Day 1.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
I first thought she meant every single player, literally everyone, should use an RNG to pick another at random
Who said they shouldn't? Now, RNG isn't necessarily the best way to go about RVS, but having a semi random vote from everyone at the beginning of the game isn't bad. Scum sometimes like to RVS on their scumbuddies for distancing purposes, and more votes = more chance of something related to them generating player-related discussion.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Who said they shouldn't? Now, RNG isn't necessarily the best way to go about RVS, but having a semi-random vote from everyone at the beginning of the game isn't bad.

RNG was what I meant. My choice of Del/Enigma wasn't even random -- I excluded some people I played with before. I dunno, I still think a larger target pool would be more confusing and harder to find info from than a smaller one, but I'd be good with a semi-random vote from all players (some would follow after others, I assume).

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
I'll expand on my thoughts (and do rp) later, when I'm off work and not having to discuss on phone. But rn, I'm leaning towards lynching an inactive unless something useful pops up. If we miss-shootel, hitting an inactive hurts less than hitting an innocent active player, especially if they have a useful role. That said, I don't have particularly strong feelings on this, and could be convinced otherwise.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Luna (Waffle)
Pretty sure Waffle is RPing as Luna, not the other way around.

Also! I'm noticing a few people are making decisions for who to vote/not to vote based on what their character would do. RP is great and all, but OOC exists for a reason, and it's so players can give thoughts unfiltered by their character's brain (and also to translate if your prose is in cowboy), so if you want to vote someone but you don't think it makes sense for your character to, just do it in an OOC comment. Your actual thoughts on the game are completely necessary to solving it. I'm not saying don't RP, absolutely do, if you want to. I'm just saying, in the context of the game, your thoughts are more important than your character's. RPing is fine, but use OOC as well when your character's thoughts don't line up with yours, and I don't making voting decisions based on what your character would do is a good idea.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Pretty sure Waffle is RPing as Luna, not the other way around.

Also! I'm noticing a few people are making decisions for who to vote/not to vote based on what their character would do. RP is great and all, but OOC exists for a reason, and it's so players can give thoughts unfiltered by their character's brain (and also to translate if your prose is in cowboy), so if you want to vote someone but you don't think it makes sense for your character to, just do it in an OOC comment. Your actual thoughts on the game are completely necessary to solving it. I'm not saying don't RP, absolutely do, if you want to. I'm just saying, in the context of the game, your thoughts are more important than your character's. RPing is fine, but use OOC as well when your character's thoughts don't line up with yours, and I don't making voting decisions based on what your character would do is a good idea.

It might be a bad idea, which is precisely why I should do it!

I said, sarcastically.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
What can you explain what about Del and Persephone you find/found suspicious? And if voting off Persephone is currently your top choice for what we do today, why aren't you actually voting her?

(I'm not voting for anyone because Ashwood is still adamant about not voting anyone off. If it were just me, I would have cast votes for Del and Persephone. If it close to the end of Day 1, I would also cast a vote.)

Del was (mostly) random. She hasn't done anything yet, and thus hasn't done anything suspicious.

I don't like Persephone's reasoning and it feels off to me. Right now the three main things are:

1) She said people who have roles should try to steer the vote, which didn't need to be said and at worst comes off like a Mafia baiting for roles.

2) After I called her out, she suggested I targeted a random player bc I was scummy, when choosing randoms is common strategy and she said she was willing to do so too.

3) In her response post to me, she also accused me of discouraging discussion:
And why immediately attack the first person other than yourself who even talks strategy? I think we would be better going through and outlining people's proposed game plans
which I find odd because I think I've been clear throughout that I want people to engage with each other. So, I dunno, her critique doesn't seem like it's coming from a good place.

Then I also was suspicious because of what I thought was her initial plan to have literally everyone vote using RNG, but I'm willing to believe misunderstanding went on.

Anyway... speaking of discussion, the more I've been thinking the more I want more stuff to be happening. I'm actually really good for a bunch of people to start casting votes. I'll stick with Perse for now, but I encourage all the rest of us to go ahead (or provide arguments why we should abstain, but preferably vote).

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
(I'm not voting for anyone because Ashwood is still adamant about not voting anyone off. If it were just me, I would have cast votes for Del and Persephone. If it close to the end of Day 1, I would also cast a vote.)
In that case, I'd like to hear your thoughts on my post where I talked about not making voting decisions based one your character's thoughts.

Del was (mostly) random. She hasn't done anything yet, and thus hasn't done anything suspicious.
And that puts her above other inactives, why?

I don't like Persephone's reasoning and it feels off to me. Right now the three main things are:

1) She said people who have roles should try to steer the vote, which didn't need to be said and at worst comes off like a Mafia baiting for roles.
I like this point.

2) After I called her out, she suggested I targeted a random player bc I was scummy, when choosing randoms is common strategy and she said she was willing to do so too.
Being as used to RVS as I am, I don't see random voting at the beginning of D1 as inherently suspicious, but I can see where you're coming from.

3) In her response post to me, she also accused me of discouraging discussion:

which I find odd because I think I've been clear throughout that I want people to engage with each other. So, I dunno, her critique doesn't seem like it's coming from a good place.
I think this is probably the strongest of your points against Persephone.

Then I also was suspicious because of what I thought was her initial plan to have literally everyone vote using RNG, but I'm willing to believe misunderstanding went on.
This isn't super significant, but it's still an interesting point.

Overall, a pretty good case for how early it is. I'm going to sheep on it for now because, looking through the posts so far, I don't see anything better and I don't think I need to leave my vote on Tanuki anymore.
Unvote: Tanuki
Vote: Persephone

Baaaaa

Anyway... speaking of discussion, the more I've been thinking the more I want more stuff to be happening. I'm actually really good for a bunch of people to start casting votes. I'll stick with Perse for now, but I encourage all the rest of us to go ahead (or provide arguments why we should abstain, but preferably vote).
If you think a bunch of people should start casting their votes, then why won't you cast your own? You've got a pretty solid suspicion for the first half of D1, and votes are really easy to change if you change your mind on her later.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
And that puts her above other inactives, why?

My method for choosing my first vote was I took the list of players, cut some off the list because I played with them before, and chose randomly from the rest. I left off some of the players I knew because I figured it would be easier to tell if they were sus without gunning for them randomly. Del has done literally nothing so far, and I have no reason to suspect her of anything.

In that case, I'd like to hear your thoughts on my post where I talked about not making voting decisions based on your character's thoughts.

Mmm, it's a roleplay Mafia. I think it's fine if you wanna do full roleplay, but your character still has to strategize in-character. Just hold roleplayers to the same standard as others. If a roleplayer doesn't contribute much, that's the same as an OOCer who doesn't contribute much. I'd also like people to be up-front with their playstyle.

(Also Desper should have a translater.)

If you think a bunch of people should start casting their votes, then why won't you cast your own? You've got a pretty solid suspicion for the first half of D1, and votes are really easy to change if you change your mind on her later.

I mean, I don't think it matters that much at this time if the votes are soft or hard, as long as names are thrown out. But I guess if it will encourage people, fine:

Persephone

(I'll do IC stuff tomorrow. May see if I can get Ashwood to accuse Kekoa.)

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
Hey ooc only post

I wrote my first posts pretty early in the morning on a Saturday (early for a grad student, anyway). And now that someone else has embraced my original RNG all the things strategy, let me just say: It's a bad idea. I have some weird fixation with semi-randomness and bizarre patterns. I plan my fan fics by spreadsheet. Seriously, ask my friends lol. At the time it seemed like a good idea, since if only three people cast the winning vote then our info roles could focus on those three people.

I failed to realize that this game is much smaller. We really can't afford a miskill to narrow down the slate our info roles should look at to 1/3 or 1/4 of the game. It's just not a good sacrifice at this point in a game that won't have too many turns.

I apologize for that plan and my initial "I just woke up and haven't had food yet" hostility. I'm not sure who I want to vote now. Probably leaning (ironically) to Del since I don't think he's posted since the very beginning? But that's more to draw people out of woodworks and see what they think so I'm not casting it as a vote for the time being.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[Shimmer's sleep had been fitful. She and ghosts certainly didn't get along. And the idea that some of these fine folk - both pokemon and the weird tall not-pokemon might be out to kill her made that sleep all the worse.

As much as she didn't want to kill someone, it was looking like they'd need to. Dad always said sometimes you had to get your hands dirty in politics, right? She would like to think that the saying was metaphorical... but. Well, here they were."

"You've been awfully quiet, Mister Banette," she said, waving a hand at the ghost. He wasn't the only one being quiet.

Before we get too deep into fun murder times or whatever though. Why don't we just... talk?"]]

To start off, I'm going to ping @SparklingEspeon, @Waffle, and @DeliriousAbsol since we're almost halfway through the day phase and have heard nothing from them. It's possible they're busy/didn't see that the game thread went up (and on that note, I'm going to suggest @Starlight Aurate ping at least the living players at the start of day going forward.

I also want to specifically ask @Tanuki and @Shiny Phantump how they feel about Equita and DawningWind's thoughts. I think their logic for voting for Persephone is sound. But... Idk, the way she's playing this time doesn't remind me much of the previous game where she was mafia. Then again, it's been a while. I should probably reread over that and it could affect my thoughts. Will try to do that soon before eod.

Right now I'm leaning shooting into the Espy/Waffle/Del pile (or additionally Nuki or Shiny, depending on if they have any input), but I could easily be convinced otherwise, after I have a chance to review the previous game.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Quick update before sleep: I'd believe Persephone's explanation for her actions. She is less sus, though I'll keep my vote.

To list all of the player's contributions:

DawningWind, Persephone, and myself have been active and contributing strategy.

Fusion has been active, but hasn't contributed much of substance.

Windskull was quiet but stated they were busy. When they were around, they were contributing.

Tanuki posted once to start the no-lynch train. Since then, nothing.

Phantump has posted, but basically only to join the no-lynch train.

Del, Waffle, and Espeon haven't posted at all.

Top Bottom