• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
The destruction of tinsel was forbidden, and destruction was all that interested her about it. It glittered, and rustled, and moved like a snake. Of course she wanted to kill it.
relatable

Hello! It’s been a bit since I’ve sat down to review something, so this will be a good opportunity to shake off some rust and get my head back in the game.

In real time we haven’t progressed too far – I think we’ve mainly shifted from filling in the present to filling in a lot of the past, but I thought this chapter did a very good job of recontextualising a lot of what we saw already. In particular I feel like I can go back and read chapter two, and feel a lot more of Salem’s excitement because I know how much this procedure means to her now, which is attention to detail that I enjoy quite a bit in my reading (in particular that ability to be able to go back and appreciate an entirely new angle of the story because of new information I learned early on).

I think I liked how the procedure was handled too. It’s interesting that it doesn’t really seem like Salem’s procedure affected much about her inner self—even in morph form she’s still very Cat—but more allowed her to interface with the world better, e.g. seeing more colours and being able to Language and walk upright. It does raise a few questions about like, levels of pokemon sapience and how a lot of them feel about not really having the communicative abilities that humans do (they can’t seem to speak outside their relative species groups? I wonder if maybe having some obviously not interested pokemon at the shelter might have helped give some perspective as to what other ‘mon were thinking about this), but then Salem did not really feel like a normal purloin, so maybe that was part of it. Definitely felt a lot like a dysphoria transition rather than one she made just for the purpose of finding Laura, and I really liked that recontextualization.

• Very much liked Caesar cameo
  • I forgot about the fletchling! The verbal tic is a really nice characterisation bit
  • Ahaha of course salem is the reason they locked down the gym :unquag:
  • Liked the slow transition from Salem thinking the morph process would fix all her problems and make her Know Everything, to her realising she still has a long way to go and kind of being okay with that. Great mini-chapter arc, and I like the way it bridges the past and the present thematically
I was originally going to write a block on how it was Obvious All Along that Perihileon is Up To Stuff, but the more that I think about it, the more that I realise what a… non-answer it actually is. We know that they knew who Laura is, and we know that they meant to use Salem for something, but then when you consider the basic circumstances the morphs are in, it does make sense that they’d be keeping that information secret? I don’t think it’s very easy to explain to Salem that yes, they know where Laura is, and no, she can’t just go find her because 1) she’s a hybrid and that’s completely new to the world, and 2) you can’t just drop in on someone unannounced like that, even if they did know who you were, and if I were Alisha I’d be keeping that on the DL for a bit too.

I guess the narrative implication is meant to be that Perihileon is Up To Something, though, and it is somewhat interesting that what they signed was completely different from what they were saying aloud – implying that they’re engaging in something illicit and don’t have the resources to be drawing from places that aren’t pokemon shelters. Originally I wondered if this wasn’t government or research community supported to some degree, but now I’m willing to bet it’s a private endeavour for, idk, team rocket or something. Also willing to bet it’s some continuation of the whole Mewtwo thing, maybe by the same investor? Would be a definite twist to reveal that Giovanni’s in control and this was the low end of the operation.

(Though I then have to wonder, like, why this. I can understand megacloning something like Mewtwo because mewtwo’s a powerhouse you can use to do anything, but this feels pretty counterintuitive to anything TR might want to get up to, unless they want supersoldiers or something. But then, their whole thing is being an underground super deepstate operation, and morph soldiers feels like blowing the lid far off their cover unless they want to do something super public, so. A definite Wonder™ for whatever they’re up to, if they actually are up to anything and Salem isn’t just making Wrong Decisions.)

Overall, really enjoyed this chapter! It still feels like we’re in the warmup stage and things are only really just beginning to get into gear, but I think this was a very worthwhile addition nonetheless – it adds a lot to story and recontextualises all the events before it quite nicely. From here on out I hope we begin to see a bit more pickup to the story – what is perihileon up to, how is Laura going to go about finding Salem (and what do they know about her that salem doesn’t), and what about that stray Mewtwo thread that’s been kicking around since the prologue? We’re definitely in the stage where the answers, or at least the prospect of answers, to those questions is starting to become relevant, and I feel like the next few chapters are going to help bust open the door for the story to truly begin.

Thanks for the read, and until next time! (hopefully when I have a good backlog of three or so to really chew on, love chapterbinging good fic)

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
IMG_1411.jpegIMG_1412.jpeg

You said you wanted a Laura Weir trainer outfit soooo here i tried my best :>

Hap

Youngster
Pronouns
he/him
Wow can't believe I made an account here specifically for the purpose of making this one (1) post. The things I do in the name of Play Game and also friendship.

Ch1

I have mixed feelings about the opening. On the one hand I feel like it does a decent job of expressing Salem's disorientation and is generally entertainingly horrifying, but on the other hand it's never going to not be funny to me that she is breathing perfectly well right up until the moment when she decides to stop doing that and all the stress and tension following that stems entirely from something completely unnecessary which she did to herself. Like, I guess it does okay at communicating that she's struggling to hold onto more than one thought at a time which is why she keeps forgetting she's in the tank, but no matter the justification I can't help but find it goofy.

The sudden change of tone between the opening section and Dusk's narration is fun, and the second section as a whole is absolutely fantastic for how much it communicates about Dusk as a character in a very short time; I especially love the contrast in how she sees herself and what she communicates to the doctor. It's some excellent character writing!

"I see… strange creature, tall like humans, hands like humans, but not human. Blood-feathers at the ear and tail like sneasel, white-fur like tundra sneasel, but not sneasel. Some-thing differ-ent. Some-thing new.”

...that said, this type of broken English is going to get grating fast. I mean, I like it in this chapter for the contrast it makes in how Dusk and Alisha talk, but I am not looking forwards to whole conversations between two characters both talking like this. I know I've already read most of the later chapters but I forget a lot of the details, so I'm going to sit here and hope that either Salem and Dusk do most of their communication in sign or that their speech improves very rapidly.

There must have been at least a hundred in total.

The description of the tanks as a whole is a very cool image but I'm quoting this line specifically because the idea of a hundred tanks raises interesting questions about scale and cost in a way which feels almost sinister. How big is Perihelion? How many pokemon have they morphed? How many are they intending to morph? Is this their only facility or does the scale expand even beyond what we've seen here?? Am I reading too much into this one throwaway line???

Dusk looking at Salem in the tank is some more nice imagery - classic mirror scene, hey! - but what I think has never hit me before while reading it is how deeply lonely this scene is. Dusk's so desperate for companionship that she starts making up a little fanfiction for herself about how she and this complete stranger she knows nothing about are going to be buddies and maybe this stranger will be finally be someone who understands her on some deeper level. The sense of loneliness here is only compounded by the way that multiple times she attempts to mentally backpedal ("Did it even matter? She’d get by no matter what."; "This was about wanting allies, naturally.") only to immediately continue imagining a friendship between herself and Salem.

She understood none of it. She closed her eyes and continued to wait out this incomprehensible ordeal.

Both the tank sequences are some nice casual horror, but I think this second one is a lot stronger! Everything the first sequence did well this one does a lot better. It does an excellent job of showing how she's fading in and out of consciousness without much of a sense of continuity to her experience, and Salem's drugged-numb acceptance of whatever's happening to her both feels like a realistic state for her to be in assuming she has to be conscious at all and also adds to the nightmarish (literally nightmarish: the way it's described reminds me a lot of those sleep-paralysis experiences I've had where I've been having a completely normal dream but also simultaneously been completely aware of my own physical body lying in bed unable to move) quality of the situation. And, again, I just find Salem's panicked struggle for air in the first section to be kind of hilarious and can't take it seriously.

Days? Moons? Seasons?

...okay please understand I promised myself I wasn't going to complain about things just because I personally don't like them and I sincerely did intend to keep to that but I can't contain myself here. Using "moons" as a measure of time makes perfect sense for Dusk as a wild pokemon, but Salem was a housepet raised around humans (and so much of her character is defined around wanting to be more human), and so I really genuinely think it would be more interesting here as a character detail to have Salem use "months" as a contrast to Dusk rather than the pair of them measuring time in the exact same way despite their incredibly different life experiences. Okay, that's it, I'm done, I'm done, I promise I will never bring this up again.

I love the contrast between the absolute euphoria Salem feels at experiencing her new body with the subtle but persistent dysphoria Dusk was expressing earlier in the chapter, that's fun.

Ch2

I'm really enjoying Dusk's sections so far. There's so much character packed into them!

Now that I'm reading this all at once instead of as like, individual updates with long periods of time between them, going straight from Salem's semiconscious euphoria in the previous chapter to the sense of disorientation and panic in this one as she's finally forced to fully inhabit her new body is really good and effective!

I don't have much to say about this chapter in comparison to the first, it's just kinda quality all the way through. In terms of pacing I think you do a great job balancing Salem's progress so that it feels slow and incremental and there's a real sense of time passing, without ever reaching the point where it gets frustrating for the reader.

It's also nice to see this time get devoted to showing who Salem is as a character, considering that we didn't really get to see any of that in the previous chapter. I think both her determination to learn everything as fast as she can and the clear sense of joy she gets in every one of her achievements do a lot to make her endearing, which is a lot of what makes the training montage of this chapter entertaining to read.

“Salem, huh? Nice to meet you, Salem. I’m Dusk.”

And now they've met! I like how both chapter endings so far have signified a shift in what the story's been up until this point, that's a cool technique.

Ch3

Ah, I'm delighted to see that Salem and Dusk are both speaking more fluently in this chapter! Ignore my earlier comment, then; the broken English certainly did not outstay its welcome. The off-screen improvement in Dusk's language since the first chapter also helps to contextualise the situation she was in when we first met her. No wonder she was so desperate for someone who understood her, when Perihelion keeps morphs isolated until past a certain point in their development.

To pull back a bit, I like Salem's initial anxiety at facing a room full of morphs in comparison with how willing she was in the previous chapter to pester humans until they did what she wanted, and in contrast to Dusk's desire for a peer from chapter one. That difference feels like it says a lot about their different experiences as a housepet vs as a wild pokemon, and what sort of relationships each is used to having. Laura was definitely the dominant presence in Salem's life, and I doubt she ever had the opportunity to form any kind of a consistent relationship with other pokemon. Frustrated though she may be when it comes to actual clear communication, she certainly doesn't hesitate to make her demands known.

Absol Whiskey

Aaah god Taylor referring to Whiskey in this way skeeves me out. I'm not really sure why I have such a reaction to it; uhh the best I can articulate it is kind of, it's one thing to see this convention in your PMD fics when it makes sense as just like, how politeness/formality work in that setting, but here it's being used for the first time by a human to refer to a pokemorph in a story where the nature of personhood (and the distinction between "person" and "human") is a major theme, and in that context it comes off as a form of subtle Othering. I don't know if this is what you were intending, but my kneejerk emotional response is that I find it condescending and a little creepy.

The conversation continued comfortably with Dusk doing most of the talking and Salem making remarks to keep the sneasel's momentum up. There was much to learn – about Perihelion, but also about Dusk. For instance, her feather vibrated excitedly whenever Salem learnt a new word from her. Salem liked that.

The common room scene feels like a lot of new information being dropped without much reason why I should care about any of it, but I like the canteen scene a lot! It does a good job of showing how Salem and Dusk clearly enjoy each other's company and find an easy rapport. It's fun and it's cute and it sets things up for an excellent shift when Veracity shows up and the tone completely changes lmao.

Man I love Veracity though. Even in just a few short exchanges she still manages to be so fucken awful! She sucks so much in the best and most entertaining of ways! And yet it's still clear that she's trying to express a specific philosophy and that she has a point she's trying to make. <3 <3 <3 worst birb, lov her

(I also like the intermorph dynamics implied by both Dusk and Veracity about attitudes towards wild vs trained vs pet pokemon! I look forwards to seeing how those play out in future chapters.)

(Further fun facts I kept mistyping Veracity as "Verity" while writing these paragraphs. I don't know why I still do this!!)

Will you find fault in her, or will you admit to your own weakness?
And it's fun to see this line come back as a trigger for Salem's conflicted feelings about Laura!

It's been very clear up until this point that Salem cared for Laura deeply given how often she thinks of her, and I like this conversation both as her attempt to work through those complicated emotions and that sense of loss, and also as a response to what Veracity said to her earlier in the chapter.

"She was the only important person who is not me, for my whole life until now."
"Until now?"
"Yes. But she is still important, and always will be important."

And I think it's important that this conversation's happening at a point when for the first time Salem's life does not wholly revolve around this one specific person.

No morphs here can meet anyone outside, you know. Not even sending messages; it's not allowed.

And then of course there are the continuing sinister undertones of whatever the fuck is going on with Perihelion.

Ch4

Before she was a person, Salem was a cat.

It's my favourite opening line, back again! I really do love this line so much; between the simplicity of how it's said and the complexity of what it's saying, it's one of those perfect examples of what I love about speculative fiction as a genre.

I love both the sweetness and affection of Salem's relationship with Laura -

She would pace through the house in endless loops, groom herself and groom herself again just to have something to do, and scratch the furniture over and over and over until her claws hurt.

- and also how that sweetness is contrasted by the mundane, everyday horror of an intelligent animal which desperately needs more attention and stimulation than it's receiving, only for its needs to go unrecognised by the people who are supposed to care for it. It's clear Laura's trying her best, but it also works excellently to set the stage for just how awful Salem's life will become once Laura's gone.

At least every other episode, he was shown wearing clothes, working a job, or using tools. Salem thought he was practically human.
There was something desperately appealing about it, all the same. Mewtwo made his own decisions, could communicate with humans with ease, and had a life of his own. He was more than a pokémon. Almost human.

And with reference to the opening line, I really enjoy the degree to which the idea of crossing over the boundary between "pokemon" and "human" is incorporated into the media Salem watches. I think it's a nice way to explain how it's something she could believe to be possible, or even think to want.

I also like the references to the in-game events during Laura's conversation with her parents; it's neat that you're using this chapter not just as a way to tell Salem's backstory but also to drop worldbuilding details and add texture to the world outside of Perihelion.

This was a traditional method of Laura's to avoid having to go to the kitchen, and so avoid walking past her parents

You do a lot to characterise Laura and show the struggles she's experiencing in this chapter! The argument with her parents did a lot of heavy lifting, of course, but quotes like this show that the problems in the relationship are deep-rooted and ongoing, rather than just an ordinary disagreement between a teenager and her parents over how her life should go. And I think it's very telling that following the argument Laura turns first to her pet cat and then to media to make herself feel better, rather than phoning a friend to vent; it really starts to feel like she doesn't have many close friends, that Salem is as important a presence in her life as she is in Salem's.

Yet, she kept asking to be left alone. She spent most of her free time at home buried in her computer, and her books – books which did not get read out loud to Salem.

...but that said, it's also deeply affecting to see how their respective positions as owner and pet make it impossible for Laura's life to revolve entirely around Salem the way Salem's life revolves around her (and, indeed, it's this fundamental imbalance in position which leads to the sundering of their relationship). Laura without Salem can manage, but Salem without Laura has literally nothing, and you really do a good job of building up the stress and despair of Salem's post-Laura neglected existence.

And again I think this is why the lines I quoted at the end of last chapter matter so much! In terms of pacing I really like this chapter about how much Laura meant to Salem coming directly after the one where she's expressed that she has other important people now, as an effective way to show how much her situation has changed.

okay done pls to gib strange seed!! I am incredibly reward-motivated.

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
OKAY hey hi, I've been meaning to get on this for months, so here I am with the first chapter prologue! Determined to get through at least two for my HA training tonight, and hopefully the rest of what's posted during the week (although, I know I don't have a glorious track record when it comes to timelines).

Going into this, I'm honestly not sure what to expect. I think this is where Laura comes from, but admittedly would not feel confident enough to bet on that. Regardless, though, I've been a huge fan on your settings and writing and all that in HA so far, and I do expect I'll enjoy this no matter who it ends up being about. I apologize in advance if things fly over my head, though; I think you know me enough by now to know that sometimes happens. :copyka:

Alrighty, normally I like to review as I go (so I'll probably poke and question and speculate on things that are revealed later). In this case though, truth be told, I read this chapter a little while ago, whenever I left the eyes emote on it, but I never got around to actually reviewing it at that time. So I've gone back to re-read it now and added thoughts to specific lines and scenes, which I'll drop in spoilers to keep the page from becoming even longer.

The first pokémon-human hybrid was floating in a tank full of life-nourishing fluids, silent and still. Its skin was a muted violet, almost white. Its bulbous, purple tail was easily as long as the creature was tall.

Right off the bat, this is not starting where I expected it to! Admittedly, I didn't have a ton of expectations about this to begin with, but I would not have guessed Mewtwo. I can see it, though; he does pretty strongly resemble a what a humanoid pokemon might look like.

The geneticist bent at the waist and waited for the crime-lord to speak.

He kept silent for a long moment as his financier adjusted his jacket and tie. He knew well that this was a powerful man — someone who could afford to keep others waiting, and would naturally take issue with impatience. It would be unwise to give offence by speaking first.

I enjoyed this scene a lot. You've got the characterization for both Giovanni and Dr. Fuji down very convincingly here. Giovanni noticably has this aura about him of a guy you don't want to piss off. I don't know a whole lot about Dr. Fuji's canon, but what you do with him here feels natural enough, and it creates a fun dynamic between the two of them. The tension in the air between them is palpable.

Also interesting to note that Giovanni is exlicitly said to be a false name here. I'm wondering now what his actual name is, and if that will come up and be relevant in the future.

"I am aware of this necessity," came the reply. "It is regarding this matter that I have come here. I intend to ensure that the clone you produce for me is not diminished, but enhanced, by the modifications made to its genes."

This gives me strong 'Jurassic Park' vibe, the need to fill in missing genetic material with existing similar compatible mon. Wondering how that will play a part in Mewtwo's eventual future.

So if I read this correctly... Giovanni claims to have read Fuji's report, yet immediately proved he did not by assuming the mew fossil was authentic rather than a subfossil... and then Fuji didn't bother to correct him. I assume that's the deception he refers to here. Yeah, that's definitely going to matter later.

Some of our western staff have taken to calling them 'metamon', 'omnimorph', and 'ditto' -"

Ditto! I love this. I'm pretty sure canonically, ditto and mew have no official relation, but I've always been a fan of the 'ditto are failed mew experiments' theory, so this was a fun little easter egg. Once again I find myself wondering if they'll be more important in the future, but this one I'm willing to say might just possibly be for fun.

"Thank you, sir. It only gives me more reason to complete my work to the best of my ability. As such, I have since begun living in this facility full time."

Oh dear. So he lost his daughter, and clearly has devoted way too much time into... either reviving her, cloning her, whatever. Somehow bringing her back. And it's now cost him his wife, too. Poor guy.

"As it happens, I've received a most interesting proposition from one of your colleagues. Dr. Katsura, I recall? Interesting man. He proposes splicing the sample with human DNA. Are you at all familiar with this idea?"

Ah, so the opening scene was like a preview, and this is happening prior to that. Interesting!

Giovanni's smile showed teeth. "And what did you say to your colleague when he explained it to you?"

Enjoyed this line in particular. Says a lot about Giovanni himself. He doesn't have to ask this, he could simply demand it to be done anyway, but he wants to show that he's in control here by showing he knows full well what he's asking Fuji to do is illegal and immoral and expects it done anyway.

He thought of Ai, and the impossibility of completing her revival without Giovanni's patronage. He thought of the savings he had emptied, the favours he had called in. He had even failed to attend the funeral. He'd been so focused on preserving the precious genetic memories held within those cells. His daughter's soul.

This is sad. The poor man really has no choice, even without Giovanni breathing down his neck. He's already given up pretty much everything to get his daughter back ages ago.

In addition to being a great scientific mind, Auguste Katsura served as Cinnabar's gym leader and Kantō's fire type specialist.

Oh.

"He's got his filthy hands in high level organised crime, the government of half the prefectures in the country, private businesses, the tech industry, you name it. Even the League. Did you know he's posing as gym leader in Hakone?"

Oh, so Fuji doesn't already know what Giovanni is yet. Huh. Just bad vibes alone until this point. I assume Hakone is some translation of Viridian?

Katsura put his glasses back on, and grinned ferociously. "Not if we use a different sample."

Oooh, sneaky. Not like Giovanni would ever actually be able to tell the difference on his own, I guess. :copyka: This whole scene is interesting, though. They're intending to actually raise mewtwo like they would a human child (even saying alongside Ai, as though they already have the means/know-how to revive her, too). I'm not sure I'm fully on board with Katsura's play here, but I also can't say I fully understand it (science and logistics behind it and all that).

The creature had three digits on each paw, front and back. Its eyes stayed firmly closed. The proportions almost resembled those of a human child of six or seven years.

Baby Mewtwo! Honestly, all things considered, this would not have been my first choice if I were Giovanni asking for an 'intimidating physical form'. But I know obviously that's not something you had any control over, hah.

What pokémon wouldn't want to be human? That's what Katsura had said.

I'm glad Fuji expresses doubt at this, because I certainly had been thinking it, too.

I also do wonder if we'll be getting more about Fuji's encounter with Mew. For example, if Giovanni is aware he actually met a live Mew. (I'm thinking not, as it stands right now, because nevermind the fossil if that were the case.)

Overall, this is very much not a beginning I was expecting! I'm... more confident now that this is where Laura is from, given what I know of her missing cat... but I have no idea how that ties in. Something to do with perfecting the process, probably, but now I'm curious as to how that's all going to play out with what I know of canon Mewtwo's events... assuming they play out here the way they do in canon, though. Who knows!

Looking to get to the following chapter pretty soon here, so I'll hopefully be back shortly.

Last edited:

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
Actual first chapter time!

Salem was dying. Surely, this was how it felt to die.

That's one hell of an opening line.

I'm pretty sure Salem was Laura's cat, so that all but confirms to me where this is going.

She kept forgetting she was in the tank.

Interesting. So this was after she's been captured, already. Wonder if this is another preview, or if we're just going to begin here.

Anyway, this whole scene is fascinating. I've always kind of wondered what it felt like, being submerged like that. How does water not get inside everywhere? How does it feel, not being able to move, yet still somehow being able to breathe? I can't honestly blame Salem for being terrified here. And this last line... I don't know if it really implies a time frame, but she's definitely aware of where she is. Once she remembers, of course. But once she does, it isn't a shock, it's an 'oh, right'.

Unfamiliar energy surged through her body, neither shadowy nor chill. Her muscles relaxed, her body seemed to weigh less—this could be it; the technique called ‘agility!’

Alright, I'm pretty sure Salem was a purrloin. I recall Dusk's name, but I can't remember the species. 'Shadowy nor chill' would imply... ice and either ghost or dark? Assuming she's a 'mon. Or a hybrid. She talks in this scene, so... perhaps she's a hybrid. The one line mentions 'in the human's direction' as though she isn't one... but she speaks and nothing to this point references animal parts, just... arms and legs. And pokemon techniques. I'm probably not going to guess this one before it's given to me.

Should have guessed. It's cat-like enough. (White fur, I think I saw mentioned in one of her mirror reflections, which would imply Hisuian sneasel? But then, that's not very shadowy or chilly of her. And yet she still sees herself very much looking like a sneasel in human clothing.)

“Didn’t choose to have the Shift to feel good about my-self,” snapped Dusk.

Definitely a hybrid. She seems to be being tested for her speed here, like some sort of doctor checkup. Possibly still in a lab, then? I assume 'the Shift' is referring to the process that creates hybrids, then.

but she had a knack for putting morphs at ease. Even Dusk felt it. It was something about her eyes, maybe; Alisha didn’t stare the way most humans did.

Okay, so she's some important figure here at the facility, and someone the morphs are shown to be comfortable around. I do appreciate how she communicates with both speech and sign. Related, I enjoy how Dusk verbalizes things. There's very much a hint of 'English is not my first language' in there while also still being very fluent (despite whatever translated language they're speaking in universe; I'm just assuming English/Galarian because nothing else has been explicitly stated yet, unless the prologue's meant to imply Kanto/Japanese).

as if it were a routine destination and not somewhere sacred where living things were fundamentally altered, body and mind

This is a fun, stark contrast to the established atmosphere so far; Alisha is meant to be shown as a kindhearted personality, and yet she's still an important piece of this. I'm not sure what Dusk is feeling here, but the use of 'sacred' implies that she definitely has thoughts. But then again, she herself has been altered, and it sounded like it was by choice based on what she said in the previous scene (something about not going through with the Shift to feel good about herself), so it's not as though she's against the idea, either...

In another slept a noibat with their wings wrapped tightly around their body, their tiny clawed digits at the wrists and wingtips already shifting.

I am going to assume this is not Malachai, because if so, you did an excellent job of keeping his nature a secret during AQ. (Honestly I'm pretty sure he was a normal Noivern, not a morph.)

So this is very much meant to be set long after the prologue then, given that morphs are very much a real thing now, whereas previously they were only hypothetical. There's so much to want to think about here, but I know we're only just getting started.

Would it be it best to introduce herself in Galarish, or in pokésign?

That answers that previous question, re: language.

They hung her, held her in this half-dream, half-death. She pawed weakly at a cable and felt it tug inside her. She would never have the strength to remove it.

Ugh, well that's... unsettling. Pls don't remove the death tube.

I am vaguely aware that Laura believe Salem to have been stolen. Dusk, meanwhile, appears to have chosen to become a morph. I wonder what's going through Salem's mind here? It sounds as though she knows what's happening to her, knows she's being transformed, but it's unclear whether it's willing or not. (I am uncertain if the line about removing the tube implies a vague thought of resistance or not, because the line immediately afterwards seems to imply she wants to be transformed, if she thinks it's those tubes that are doing the transforming...?). If not, she's definitely resigned herself to her fate at this point. Just how did she get here?

I should probably stop trying to apply meta knowledge and let the scene play out.

More overwhelming still was the ability to think about both how she felt about something, and why she felt that way. The difference between remembering and understanding… She likened it to the difference between drinking water, and actually tasting it. For the first time, she could taste her thoughts. For the first time, she could ask herself…

‘Why didn’t I wait for Laura? What if she came back and found me gone? Will I ever see her again?’

This is a scene I don't think I'd ever have the capacity to handle; a living being evolving, learning what it feels like to be sentient, and how that differs from how the remember being prior. Yikes. Kudos to you for finding words for this, and for describing it in such an easy to understand manner!

Also of note here: A bit more evidence that Salem went through this willingly. She could have waited for Laura, or so she believes, which means... what, exactly? Was she not kidnapped? Is that just what Laura's assuming happened, because Salem up and left on her own without saying anything? (I guess not that she could have said anything... or, well, how else would a non-verbal creature leave a clue as to where they're going and why, actually. Hm.)

Laura lied to me why would she do that

Noting this thought in particular for (hopefully) future reference, because :eyes:

She knew what crying was, of course. Laura had sometimes sobbed into Salem’s flank after difficult days, but Salem had never understood it. She understood it now, her chest heaving and her arms closing around her body as tears welled up in her eyes and dissipated instantly into the hazy green liquid of the morphing tank. Her sobs were silent, but each one hit her bruised frame like a tackle. She let them happen, some part of her relishing the new and entirely human experience even amid the pain.

For some reason, this felt sad. Poor cat's nothing but an unfamilair ball of fur and hurt, and at the same time overjoyed about all of the new sensations she's exeriencing and/or will get to experience, and yet still in pain from the process. There's a lot of glorious detail in this large section that I don't really have lot to comment on individually, but this part in particular hit hard.

Alright, that's chapter 1! A lot of setup, but honestly, as expected, you're particularly adept at details which keeps everything interesting, and making me as a reader focus on one thing or another. Lots of very good description and narration. Nothing sticking out to me as 'hey what's this' or grammar curiosities or any other errors of note. It does feel a bit slow to me so far, but I think it's worth it to get such valuable insight into the minds of the morphs, particularly Salem as she's going throug the process, even if she doesn't fully understand it herself. (Also worth considering this is chapter 1, so there's always going to be some implicit slowness as things get set up. I do tend to prefer a bit of action to help get invested, but I'm well aware that's a personal preference and absoutely does not suit the kind of lead-in this opening needs.)

Here's hoping chapter 2 will not take me -checks calendar- six months to come back to. I have a lot of questions and very few answers!

Top Bottom