• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Poppin' Arms ~ Dorms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Kate pauses raised a claw to her mouth in thought. She'd... admittedly never really thought the matter over before. As an Outlaw, there weren't that many friends she'd trust wholeheartedly, and one of them had since given up after a bad scare when her last crew got broken up and gone off to go pick berries.

Falling in love in circumstances like that just sounded like it'd be more likely than not to end in tears... unless, something about it gave it an edge in surviving. Like the same sorts of things that she wished her own friendships had to make them feel like they weren't perpetually a day away from vanishing into the ether.

"... Well, I know it's not the same, but I guess it'd be mostly the same things I'd want from a lifelong friend."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz scratched her chin. She was a bit out of her depth, to be fair, but she had the feeling that the three of them in that room had fairly different things they imagined when they thought about love. What Brisa felt when she thought about a gal she liked wasn't really something Luz could relate to, either . . . especially that 'lifelong' part.

"I'm given to understand folks don't all have the same idea of what a relationship is. The tales go that since the Wanderin' Light ain't fully mortal, she never took lifelong lovers. Just lovers. Makes me wonder if I'll live th'same way, assumin' shades are as negligibly senescent as they are invulnerable."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Luz scratched her chin. She was a bit out of her depth, to be fair, but she had the feeling that the three of them in that room had fairly different things they imagined when they thought about love. What Brisa felt when she thought about a gal she liked wasn't really something Luz could relate to, either . . . especially that 'lifelong' part.

"I'm given to understand folks don't all have the same idea of what a relationship is. The tales go that since the Wanderin' Light ain't fully mortal, she never took lifelong lovers. Just lovers. Makes me wonder if I'll live th'same way, assumin' shades are as negligibly senescent as they are invulnerable."

Kate thought to herself about Luz's comment about shades never seeming to age and their apparent invulnerability. Why a 'mon like that would be an ideal Outlaw. Always able to bounce back from whatever bad turn of fate she was dealt, and crawl back to her friends. Barring getting stuck in a bottomless pit or the like, that certainly would fit the bill for someone who could be a lifelong friend even with her job.

"Hm, shame we don't have shades in my world," she said. "Since someone like you two couldn't possibly do a worse job at that whole 'lifelong friend' thing than any of the other options I can think of."

The Sneasel trailed off and frown, before taking her Ultra Stone out of her bag and staring down at it with a grumbling sigh.

"Well, assuming I could get my Ultra Stone to react to anything. Thing's been a paperweight since the day I got it."

"But don't you already have one of those?" Pleo asked. "And if not, what would you want from a lifelong friend?"

Kate fell into an uncomfortable silence, before shaking her head back to the young Lugia.

"I would've thought it'd have been obvious that I don't have one yet," she grumbled. "But... I guess what I'm looking for from a lifelong friend is someone who would always have my back, who'd be able to take care of both of us if we ever got into a pinch. Someone that can unwind with me whenever I'm in a good mood and that I can be open to without worry."

The Sneasel's face fell into a frown, as she flattened her ears out.

"But that's reaching for the stars, I know," the Dark-Type said. "The only sort of thing that would fit the bill would be some sort of Pokémon of legend or a fairy tale hero, and there's not exactly any of either of those to go around back home."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz sure would be a good lifelong friend, if she could. Brisa's eventual return home made that seem near enough to impossible, though. If she did live forever . . . was there anyone she could be that with? Another shade, perhaps? It wasn't like she had close or special relationships with anyone . . . at all, right now. Not for lack of trying. Did the Luz she mirrored feel this way, living centuries and watchin mortals die?

This... This wasn't helping.

If only she could follow Brisa home. She needed someone back there. And she didn't have a soul.

"Those're words as could've come straight from my gal's mouth. She was lonesome like y'wouldn't believe fer years back in her world. But even if yer stay on Cibus is temporary, it's an opportunity to meet friends who ain't tied up in the dramas of yer old life . . . just like she did. Chances are that whoever comes outta that rock of yers won't get to follow you home, but I'm hopin' fer them t'be someone who can show you what it's like to have a true friend, if only fer a time."

Yeah.

She could be Kate's friend.

"Either way, darlin', I got yer back fer as long as we're walkin' the same earth. You've been decent t'me in a way not everyone is. It's no skin off my back what anyone thinks of me, but it don't mean I appreciate yer friendship any less."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Luz sure would be a good lifelong friend, if she could. Brisa's eventual return home made that seem near enough to impossible, though. If she did live forever . . . was there anyone she could be that with? Another shade, perhaps? It wasn't like she had close or special relationships with anyone . . . at all, right now. Not for lack of trying. Did the Luz she mirrored feel this way, living centuries and watchin mortals die?

This... This wasn't helping.

If only she could follow Brisa home. She needed someone back there. And she didn't have a soul.

"Those're words as could've come straight from my gal's mouth. She was lonesome like y'wouldn't believe fer years back in her world. But even if yer stay on Cibus is temporary, it's an opportunity to meet friends who ain't tied up in the dramas of yer old life . . . just like she did. Chances are that whoever comes outta that rock of yers won't get to follow you home, but I'm hopin' fer them t'be someone who can show you what it's like to have a true friend, if only fer a time."

Yeah.

She could be Kate's friend.

"Either way, darlin', I got yer back fer as long as we're walkin' the same earth. You've been decent t'me in a way not everyone is. It's no skin off my back what anyone thinks of me, but it don't mean I appreciate yer friendship any less."

"Yeah! You're our friend, Kate!" Pleo added. "I don't know if I can be the lifelong friend you're looking for, but you helped me out when that Nidoking was being mean to me, and I really like hanging out with you, so I'll always be there for you too!"

Kate gave a small smile back at the pair, her mood having lifted somewhat from the Ultra Shades' reassurances.

"Heh, well a 'mon could certainly do worse than having friends like you around," she said. "I just hope that whenever my shade forms, that the 'mon it becomes is someone like you two."

Kate closed her eyes for a moment, when a bright flash to her right made her crack them open abruptly. There, her Ultra Stone was suddenly pulsing light, when it levitated into the air on its own, rising up as the Sneasel recoiled with a startled cry.

"Huh?! What the-?!"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz crouched down and leaned forward with her paws on her thighs to stare at the unexpected—and timely—hatching.

"Aw, thunder! This is only my second time seein' this!"

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Kate stood back and looked on with astonishment as black goop spewed out of the Ultra Stone. The goop just kept coming, and coming, filling up a good chunk of the other end of the dorm room in the process.

"Whoa! Just how big are these Ultra Shades supposed to get?!" she exclaimed.

The black sludge began to shift and rearrange itself into a two-legged creature with icy, rigid wings, a vaguely turbine-shaped tail, two stubby arms and a long neck. Kate's mouth hanging open in astonishment when she realized that the shade forming before her was none other than a Kyurem.

"No way..."

The Ultra Shade's body filled in, remaining completely black for a moment, before her eyes cracked open glowing yellow, with the center of the creature's head crest and two rings on each of her wings following suit before the dragon reared up and let out a bellowing roar.

"GRAAAAWRRR! Hah! Had to let that out now that I'm finally able to stretch my limbs from that rock!"

The dragon stepped forward, and craned her head down to face Kate, still stunned and wide-eyed from the development. A frosty puff of breath escaped the shade's mouth as she began to speak.

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you face to face, Kate," the dragon said. "You may call me 'Kyurem, der lebendige Schwelle zwischen Wirklichkeit und Wünsche.'"

Kate blinked, fumbling with her words as she tried to speak back, before finally managing to clear her thoughts enough to voice a lingering question brought on by the Kyurem's self-introduction.

"Er... I think that that 'Kyurem's' taken already, and that full title's kind of a mouthful," Kate said. "Though how do you know Hightongue anyways if you're based off my thoughts?"

The icy dragon blinked a moment, before sheepishly pawing at her chin with a claw.

"... Er... I don't actually know it," the shade admitted. "I just know the handful of phrases that you do."

Kate paused and remembered the explanations she'd received about shades being formed from their creator's memories. While it was true that she didn't know that much Hightongue, she knew a little, and she certainly knew that Kyurem in life was said to be fluent in it like all the other Legendaries who had been felled in Varhyde. As for the title, she supposed that it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise to her...

"Right, 'the Living Threshold between Reality and Wishes'," the Sneasel murmured. "Every ankle-biter in Varhyde learns that one before they're out of school. Kind of a waste if you ask me, since I preferred what 'mons called you in normal speech anyways."

The Kyurem curled her mouth up into a beaming, toothy grin back, batting her wings out proudly.

"'The Great Boundary between Truth and Ideals', eh?" the Kyurem asked. "You're right, it does roll off the tongue a bit better, and it's definitely easier talking to you without having to be so formal."

The dragon stood there for a moment, before blinking and giving a puzzled tilt of her head.

"Though what are we to do about my name if it's really so troublesome for me to go about as 'Kyurem'?" the dragon insisted.

Kate hemmed and hawed, before pawing at the back of her head.

"Well... a Pokémon's always got a name that she shares with her closest friends, right? I dunno if that's something Kyurem back home would've done, but there's no reason you can't have one for yourself," Kate explained. "After all, I expect a stranger to call me 'Sneasel', or 'Sniebel' if it's some stuck-up talking down to me, not a close pal."

The Dragon-Type looked about her body in reply, and after taking a moment to examine it, turned back to the Sneasel.

"So... 'Black' then?"

Kate flattened her ears out, before narrowing her eyes in minor annoyance.

"Let's... think this through a bit, since this is what everyone's going to be calling you normally, after all," she insisted. "And my hide's mostly black myself."

"Well... Is there any name meaning 'Black Ice' that you can think of?" the dragon asked. "That'd certainly fit, wouldn't it?"

Kate thought for a moment to herself. 'Black Ice' certainly didn't sound like any name she'd give a 'mon. In Varhyde, it wasn't unheard of for a 'mon to take an otherwise simple name in Hightongue as a flourish, but 'black ice' was normally called 'Glatteis' or 'Blitzeis' in Hightongue. And she was pretty sure that if she remembered right, 'Glatt' was supposed to be 'slippery' while 'Blitz' was supposed to be lightning...

"I mean, I guess we could try one of the Hightongue words for it," she said. "But both the ones I've heard of are mouthfuls, and I'm pretty sure that neither of them actually mean 'black ice' if you translate them literally."

The Kyurem stared back blankly, before sitting down and pawing at a cheek.

"... I'm stumped then," the shade replied. "You think that coming up with a name based off yourself wouldn't be this hard..."

Kate tried to think of some suggestion to offer back in reply, when her mind came back to an alias that she'd used once to scout ahead for a job: 'Melanie'. She didn't know how true it was, but it was explained to her when she took the alias that was a way of saying 'black'. Now, she never heard any 'mon use it as such, but it couldn't hurt to offer, at least.

"How about 'Melanie'?" the Sneasel suggested. "It means 'Black', and doesn't make you sound like a Wilder gave you your name after getting drunk off overripe berries."

The dragon repeated the name to herself quietly a couple times, before getting up and proudly posing as she beamed back to the Sneasel.

"Heh, I think I like it!" the newly-named Kyurem exclaimed. "Melanie it is!"

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Pleo had looked at the exchange between Kate and Melanie in amazement, and after the latter had settled on a name, he went up to the newly formed shade and gave her cheery wave with one of his wings.

"Hi Melanie! My name is Pleo!" he greeted. "I'm a friend of Kate and a Shade just like you!"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz watched in rapt fascination as Kate's ultra stone produced the largest shade to date, and another legend, no less!

"Well, blow me down. Looks like you got a special one after all, Quickpaw."

She straightened up, and dusted herself off.

"Well met, Ultra Shade Melanie! I figure you already know me a lil' from yer gal's memories. I look forward to gettin' t'know ya!"

She offered her paw for Melanie to shake, heedless of their considerable size difference.

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Melanie stepped forward, taking Luz's paw and shaking it with an eager smile.

"Heh, I'm sure we'll all get along just fine," she insisted. "And I'm looking forward to meeting the Pokémon that awakened you two!"

All the while, Kate looked on with a puzzled blink, as she kept wondering to herself over the sudden turn of events.

"Wait a minute. If you're supposed to be based off my thoughts, why Kyurem specifically?" the Sneasel wondered. "I mean, Reshiram's the popular one back home."

"I mean, didn't you say that your idea of a lifelong friend was someone who'd always have your back?" Melanie asked. "What better Pokémon to do so than one of Legend? Especially one as tied to your world as me?"

Kate pawed at the back of her head and gave a sheepish smile back.

"I guess that makes sense. And now that I think about it, Zekrom seems more like the type who'd deep fry me. Reshiram too, for that matter," "As for you on the other hand... well the stories did say you were always supposed to be a bit of a wildcard."

"Then maybe I'm just this way because I'm the Legendary Pokémon you'd expected to be most likely to accept you back in your home," Melanie offered. Kate paused for a moment, before giving a dismissive shrug back.

"Meh, whatever the truth is, it's probably not that important. Not like that'll ever happen back home."

Melanie gave a puzzled tilt of her head back in reply, wondering what could make the Kate so sure with her statement when she'd already been sucked into a whole different world. But there wasn't any point dwelling on the matter too much. There was a whole world for the two of them to explore after all... and a doorway to it that looked entirely too small for her to fit through.

"Er... how exactly am I supposed to get out of here?" Melanie asked. Kate glanced at the door herself, before back at Melanie's wide-set body, before hastily whispering back to Luz and Pleo.

"Psst! There isn't some sort of party trick you Shades can do that would help out here, is there?"

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Pleo paused in thought a moment.

"Well... we can retreat back into our Ultra Stone if needed..." the young Lugia mused. "Though maybe you guys can get a bigger room? The door to my room is a lot bigger and you could easily fit through that, Melanie."

"Hrm... it would be nice to have a bigger room eventually," Melanie mused. "But let's see if there's a simpler solution I can work with for now."

Melanie went up to the doorway, inspecting it curiously. She inhaled sharply, before attempting to force her way through it, only for get stuck at her wings.

"Huh?! I can't move!"

The Kyurem shade squirmed and struggled fruitlessly for a moment, when her body abruptly shrank just enough for her to stumble through the doorway. As soon as the shade cleared the threshold she reverted back to her original size, turned back and looked back into the room, poking her head in and looking about curiously.

"Huh. I guess that's one way around it. Or at least for now," she said. "Though what should we do now?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Well, I don't know about y'all, but I feel like makin' myself useful again. I'm gonna quit mopin' around an' see if I can't find somethin' I can help with."

Luz grinned, and unlike many of her recent smiles, this one was warm.

"I'm glad y'all came by fer a game. It's good t'be reminded of what I still have."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
"Well, I don't know about y'all, but I feel like makin' myself useful again. I'm gonna quit mopin' around an' see if I can't find somethin' I can help with."

Luz grinned, and unlike many of her recent smiles, this one was warm.

"I'm glad y'all came by fer a game. It's good t'be reminded of what I still have."

"See you around, then," Kate said. "Guess we'll pick up that game of dice another time."

"I mean, if you don't mind, I can fill in, can't I?" Melanie asked.

The Kyurem shade re-entered the room, squeezing her way past the threshold with a bit more grace as she tiptoed over to the cups and sat down with an audible thump.

"Everyone has the same amount of dice left over, right?" she asked. "So none of us would be at a disadvantage if we just continued here."

Kate moved a claw to her mouth and mulled the matter over, before turning to Luz and Pleo.

"That alright with you, Luz?" she asked. "And if so, still down with playing through the rest of this round, Pleo?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sure thing, Melanie can take my spot. Alright—it was a pleasure as always, Kate. Be seein' y'all round real soon." And may we see our friends safely home too.

Luz left, restless, optimistic, and eager to set some of the buzzing in her head to rights.

Now, where could she find Starr?

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Kate waved back at Luz before turning her attention attention back to Pleo and Melanie.

"See you, looks like I'll have my claws full for a while."

Kate turned her attention back to the game of Liar's Dice with Melanie and Pleo. The three quickly grew enraptured with the game, watching as Pleo and Melanie got engrossed in their game, Pleo's earlier low spirits from the meeting with his departed teammates having long since lifted.

<><><>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom