• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Winter Wonderland (TR Christmas Mashup 2020!)

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
A/N - Here it is! My Christmas present to Thousand Roads forums! Fifteen people submitted characters to this story. FIFTEEN! After last year where I hadn't managed to showcase each character as much as I could have, this year I have striven to do better. As such, it has ended up becoming almost 25k words long! I hope I've captured your characters to your liking. I had a LOT of fun with this. I tried to do something different, both funny and exciting, with plenty of references to various fandoms etc sprinkled throughout! Some are really obvious, others are much more subtle. How many can you spot? (I'll put a list of references after the conclusion so please, to avoid spoilers, try to refrain from looking at it!) So here we go. Your adventure awaits! =D

Thank you so much, everyone, for submitting your characters for this! It couldn't have happened without you.
Here is the list for credits and reference:

Ruby (Cyndaquil) (SGMijumaru)
Coco (Tyrunt) (Persephone)
Swift (Pidgey) (Chibi Pika)
Minerva (Meowth) (Fusion)
Totta (Dunsparce) (Namohysip)
Sid (Quilava) (Cynsh)
Maressa (Horsea) (StarlightAurate)
Jung (Hypno) (NebulaDreams)
Shimmer (Kirlia) (Windskull)
Shirlee (Inkay) (Canisaries)
Rob (Raticate) (K.S.)
Grog (Toxicroak) (Umbramatic)
Zyzir (Zubat) (Sike Saner)
Gil (Golett) (UnrepentantAuthor)
Peter (Rockruff/Yamper) (Cresselia92)

Link to submission thread (now closed). You can find the intro to the adventure here if you wish to read it.

(Pokemon and its characters (c) Nintendo, Game Freak etc. All other references belong to their respective owners)

Bootleg2.jpg

Winter Wonderland​

The green plane of well-mowed grass stretched out in all directions as far as the eye could see. This was strange both because there were no trees or hills in sight, not even on the horizon, and there weren’t even any towns or humans in the vicinity who could have even mowed the grass. The only thing in the area that was not grass was a group of fifteen pokemon of varying species, and one lone mirror. The mirror was what had everyone’s attention, resulting in a lot of discussion and debate.

A meowth was trying to figure out if the mirror would fit in her bag (which it would not) as a lone mirror in the wilderness would undoubtedly be worth some money, while an elderly raticate with milky eyes had solidly declared that the presence of a mirror must surely be attached to a wall and was sniffing around it in the pursuit of one. Above him, a zubat zipped back and forth in a blind panic, shouting so quickly the meaning was incomprehensible. Back on the ground, a tyrunt had her jaws wrapped around the frame of the mirror ‘just to see if it could feel any pain’, but it didn’t so much as yelp. This, a hypno had declared, was because the mirror was an inanimate object and absolutely not a zoroark pulling pranks on them.

It was this hypno everyone decided to turn to, since he seemed like the educated sort. He stood with his back to the mirror after having convinced everyone to leave it well enough alone. Clutched in both paws was a goldfish bowl with a horsea floating in it. She had her head poked over the top, eager to listen in and find out just what exactly was going on.

“This is where he told us to meet, right?” the meowth - Minerva - asked. “That weird mew guy?”

“That’s what’s written on my map,” said Sid. The quilava hadn’t really engaged in the debate, too busy looking for clues in the information that each of them had obtained after waking up from what they had all assumed was a strange dream.

“You sure this isn’t just a strange dream?” Shirlee, an inkay, piped up from the back.

“It’s definitely not a dream,” explained Jung, cradling the goldfish bowl into one arm to free a paw to read his own letter. “Believe me, I know my dreams, and I can assure you this is not one.”

A kirlia named Shimmer huffed from the back of the crowd and folded her arms. “It certainly feels like a dream.”

At this point, Maressa looked up from her goldfish bowl to catch the hypno’s eye. “Are you absolutely sure? Because I was definitely someone different when I woke up this morning. I’m normally not a horsea, you see, but for some reason I now am one.”

“No way!” Grog the toxicroak gasped. “Is this one of those ‘human becomes a pokemon’ things? ‘Cos that would be so cool!”

“It would be totally cool!” An odd-looking rockruff bounced on his toes. “I’ve only heard of those in legends!”

“Maybe it is?” Maressa blushed and ducked a little into the water. “Either that or I’m being punished for some nefarious deed.”

“I doubt it’s either of those things,” said Jung. “We were asked to come here, so perhaps the mew has something to do with it?”

A cyndaquil, Ruby, shuffled from her spot at the front of the crowd. “Whatever the case, we have to do something. He’s called us all the way out here, and for what? To gaze at our reflections?”

“Maybe he’s trying to teach us something?” This was voiced by a dunsparce hidden in the thick of the crowd. “I mean, I had a pretty solid lesson taught to me by legends a while back. Maybe this mew is trying to do the same?”

A loud sigh came from a small pidgey who, having decided they’d had enough of this uncertainty, abandoned their spot atop a golett’s head to perch atop the mirror.

Swift fluffed his feathers and straightened to his full height. “Has anyone actually tried touching the mirror?”

Coco, the tyrunt, raised a claw. “I did. I nommed it several times.”

“The glass.” Swift waved a wing at the shimmering glass beneath him. “Has anyone actually touched the glass?”

This question was met with uncertain mutters and the shuffling of paws.

“Exactly,” said Swift. “I didn’t see anyone touch it. Maybe…”

The pidgey trailed off as he bent to peer at his upside-down reflection. He stretched out a tentative wing and brushed it over the surface of the glass. It rippled beneath his feathers and he swiftly retracted his wing.

“No way!” Grog stepped towards it and reached out a paw. “Is it water? No way is it water!”

The toxicroak reached the mirror in no time, snatching at the glass with his claws. He didn’t see the dunsparce slithering along near his feet and tripped over her, eliciting a yell from the pair of them. Grog went face-first into the mirror… and vanished beyond it!

“Oh no!” Totta reared up on her tail and clapped her stubby wings over her mouth. “I’ve done it again!”

“Done what again?” Minerva asked, taking a wary step away from the flat snake.

“Does it matter?!” Swift squeaked. “We have to follow him!”

Several eyes blinked at the pidgey and a few pokemon took a step back as they turned frightened looks onto the glass.

Swift shook his head and, with a sigh, dropped from the mirror’s frame and shot through the glass like a dart. He was promptly followed by Coco, then Sid who tucked his map away to scurry after them.

“Well, if we’re all going.” Shimmer followed after them at a trot, eager not to be left behind, or last for that matter.

“Whoa!” Minerva blinked her large eyes as she watched the other pokemon cautiously step through the mirror. “This thing must be worth more than its weight in gold!”

“Just go!” Shirlee shoved the meowth through the mirror and swept in behind her.

Jung watched the last of them flow through then exchanged glances with Maressa.

“That didn’t take much convincing,” he said. “Come. Perhaps we can find a way to restore your true form?”

The hypno strolled through the mirror onto another stretch of grass. It was very much like what they had seen reflected back at them, except on the outer edges that they couldn’t see was a forest decked out with silver frost and blankets of snow.

“Well, well!” the voice came from the air above them. “You came!”

A creature not quite like a mew manifested above their heads. His fur was black, with a purple mohawk that spread from between his large ears down his back to end in a fluffy tuft at the tip of his tail. He had his eyes closed, and reclined back with his legs crossed.

A silence passed over the crowd as they watched the strange mew sip from a china cup of steaming tea.

“Are ya gonna tell us why we’re here?” Minerva demanded.

“Why certainly!” The mew lowered his glass to look at the meowth, still with his eyes closed. “I called you here to help me with an important mission. Remember?”

“I remember you never said what that mission was,” said Shimmer. “And you’ve called us miles out here to the middle of nowhere, and it’s absolutely freezing!” The kirlia hugged her arms around herself and shuddered.

“Of course it is,” the mew explained. “It’s winter.”

As if on cue, a brisk breeze washed over them and they all edged closer to Ruby and Sid.

“Allow me to introduce myself,” said the mew, righting himself in the air. He gave a deep bow, making his mowhawk flop over his eyes. “My name is Bootleg, Mysterious Mew!”

“Wow,” said Shimmer. “Like… anyone who calls themselves ‘mysterious’ is super suspicious in my eyes.”

“Oh, you can trust me.” Bootleg settled back down on his invisible chair. “I only need your help! You see, this world is in a bit of a dilemma. The world here is trapped in an eternal winter that has been raging for centuries!”

“How on earth did that happen?” Totta gasped.

“Easy!” said Bootleg a little to jovially. “The Red Queen fell asleep a long time ago, leaving the White Queen to take over. Without the Red Queen, winter can never end, you see.”

“Well that sucks!” said the dunsparce. “Can’t farm taters if it’s snowin’ all the time.”

“You absolutely cannot!” said Bootleg. “So… will you help me?”

“We came here, didn’t we?” said Sid with a big smile. “You sent for us, so of course we’ll help.”

“Speak for yourself,” Grog told the quilava. “I was sent here by a different strange mew.”

“No.” Bootleg aimed his closed-eyed gaze at the toxicroak. “I believe I sent you.”

“Nope!” Grog folded his arms. “It was a different mew.”

Bootleg inclined his head on one side. “Okay…”

“So what do we need to do?” asked Sid.

At this point, the golett stepped forwards and bowed before Bootleg. “I am very happy to help. My name is Gil, a humble postal golett. But I shall endeavour to do whatever I can to assist you.”

Bootleg gave the ghost-type a look that suggested he’d heard all this once already, but smiled regardless. “Thank you, Gil. Please, allow me to explain. In order to have the best chance possible, you need to collect four items!” He raised four claws. “You can find each one at the four corners of this world, and once you have them they will give you the best chance possible to defeat the White Queen’s Snark.”

“Snark?” several voices gasped.

“What on earth is a Snark?” Shirlee added.

Jung scratched his head. “I believe it’s a fictitious creature devised by one Lewis Carrol.”

“Okay.” The inkay looked up at the hypno. “What’s a Lewis Carrol?”

“And what does ‘fictitious’ mean?” asked Coco. “And more importantly, can I nom it?” She caught a bemused look off the dunsparce beside her, and added, “I have very good teeth.”

“Wait… so this isn’t real?” Shimmer asked the hypno.

Rob flicked his long tail over the grass. “You’re telling me we’re stuck in some human fairy tale?” The raticate punctuated his statement with a snort, and added, “Sounds like a load of tosh-woggle to me.”

“I think it sounds amazing!” The rockruff, Peter, declared with some level of excitement. “Are we actually going to get to meet a human?!”

“Guys…?” Bootleg’s voice fell on deaf ears as the pokemon beneath him all began voicing their concerns and excitement over the matter.

“You’ve already met one.” Jung pointed to the horsea in his paws.

“Yeah, but…” Peter tilted his head to one side in that way dogs do when they’re confused. “She looks just like any other pokemon.”

“Guys!”

“Either that, or we’re all humans,” said Grog.

All heads snapped to the toxicroak.

He shrugged. “Just sayin’.”

“Guys, please!” Bootleg pleaded.

Everyone looked up at the mew with some reluctance.

“You don’t understand the severity of the situation,” he went on.

“We actually do,” said Shirlee, spreading her tentacles. “You’ve called us to this strange world that is apparently the figment of some human fairy tale.”

Shimmer lowered her head to the inkay’s ‘ear’. “I think you used the word ‘figment’ wrong.”

Shirlee shot the kirlia a glare.

Bootleg rubbed the bridge of his muzzle with a paw and sighed. “What was I thinking? When I decided to do this, I believed you’d be a lot more co-operative.”

“The strange and unusual mew is correct.” Gil stepped forwards and stood below Bootleg’s drooping tail. “We may have been called out of our homes, but this world is in a dire situation and this mew is asking us for help. Please excuse me for being so blunt, but the least we could do is assist him. Oh dear.” A huge snowflake landed on the golett’s head. “It appears it has begun to snow. This weather does not agree with my structural integrity.”

Swift fluttered from his perch above the mirror to land on Gil’s head. The pidgey spread his wings, shielding the ground-type like a feathery umbrella.

“That is very kind of you,” said Gil. “But does the snow not bother you, too?”

“Don’t worry,” said Swift. “I’m warm blooded.” He raised his head to look at the others. “But Gil does have a point. We’ve been asked for help. Don’t we serve those who need help in our own worlds? Our friends? Family? Trainers?”

“And those in need,” said Peter. “Yes, we do!” The rockruff/yamper stood beside the golett. “If this mew needs our help, then I am more than happy to use my deductive skills to help him.”

“Me too!” Ruby stepped forwards then flushed slightly. “In my own way, of course! I’m not exactly a detective.”

Minerva folded her arms and looked up at the mew. “Is treasure involved?”

“I can’t promise any,” said Bootleg.

Minerva shrugged. “Whatever. I’ll help out anyway.”

Pretty soon, everyone had agreed to assisting Bootleg and saving the world from its wintry prison. Bootleg, now much more content, returned to reclining in mid-air. Now he’d got everyone’s co-operation, a smirk… or a smile?… tugged at his muzzle.

“Now, as I was explaining earlier,” he said, “there are four items you need in order to defeat the White Queen’s Snark. You will find them at the four corners of this world.”

“Corners?!” Sid gasped. “How big is this world?!”

“And why is it square?” Grog added.

Bootleg decided to ignore that comment as he went on, “To do this, you will need to split into four groups, otherwise it will take you much too long to gather them all. I already had the groups planned, but… after meeting you all together I think I’ve worked out which of you might work best together to have the best chance at survival… I mean… success!”

“No, no.” Shirlee shook a tentacle at him. “Go back one. What did you just say?”

“Success!” Bootleg grinned. “Now, the groups I have here…” He pulled a scroll out of thin air and unrolled it. “Are the following. Group one will be Minerva, Ruby and Totta.”

“Wait a minute.” Minerva jabbed a claw in the dunsparce’s direction. “You’re stickin’ me with the potato farmer?”

“Hey!” Totta reared up to flash a grin at the meowth. “You stick with me then I can tell ya when to plant ‘em, when to pick ‘em and what to serve ‘em with!”

Minerva’s ears drooped and she exchanged glances with the cyndaquil, Ruby, who didn’t seem to echo the meowth’s feelings on the matter. “This is gonna be so much fun…”

“Group two is Zyrzir, Gil, Rob and Swift.” Bootleg looked down at the golett, raticate and pidgey, then looked up at the sky. “Where is Zyrzir?”

“The zubat?” Swift turned to follow Bootleg’s gaze. “I haven’t a clue! Did anyone see where he went?”

Rob shuffled away from them, his whiskers twitching. “I’ll find him, don’t worry.”

The raticate walked straight back through the mirror, and Swift raised his wings to his beak in shock, mirroring Gil’s pose exactly. It wasn’t clear if the raticate had even known the mirror was there. In a flash, Rob was back through the mirror with his long tail fastened around a panicked zubat’s waist.

“Found him,” Rob declared as he rejoined his team.

Bootleg wiped a sweat-drop from his ear and returned to his scroll. “Group three is Grog, Shirlee, Shimmer and Coco.”

“I’m stuck with three girls?” Grog glanced at the inkay and kirlia as they joined a very eager tyrunt. “Guess I need to get my ‘Knight in Shining Armour’ badge somehow, huh?” He strolled beside the kirlia with a silly grin on his face.

“And the fourth and final group is Jung, Maressa, Peter and Sid.” Bootleg rolled up his scroll and it vanished with a sleight of hand. “I trust you will all work well together?”

The groups all exchanged glances with one another then looked back to Bootleg.

“Where are we going?” Sid asked.

“Pick a direction!” Bootleg drifted onto his back and pointed all four paws away from his body. “North-east, south-east, south-west or north-west. Your choice! I’ll be checking up on you periodically.”

The mew twirled in the air and vanished in a flash of purple light.

“Can I just say one thing?” Shirlee piped up. “That guy looks nothing like a mew.”

“Maybe a little?” said Swift.

“Question!” Bootleg poked his head out of a pool of purple light. “Have any of you ever actually seen a mew?”

Swift raised a wing, while everyone else exchanged puzzled glances.

“Well… you have to ask yourself if a pokemon that can transform is actually showing you its true appearance?” Bootleg grinned at the dumbfounded expressions aimed his way. “Something to think about.”

“Wait, so if mew can transform,” said Ruby slowly, “then does that mean that your appearance is real or fake?”

Bootleg gave a small chuckle and raised a claw. “Now that is a secret.” With that, he vanished once more.

Everyone fell into silence, and Jung let out a heavy sigh.

“Is there a problem?” Maressa asked him.

“Yes.” Jung rubbed the back of his head. “He hasn’t told us what items we are looking for.”

“That does pose a small issue,” said Gil. “Well… which way are we going to go?”

After a brief discussion and quick farewells, the four groups parted ways, heading towards the four corners of the Winter Wonderland, none of them knowing what they were looking for. Or what to expect for that matter.

...​

The snow was thicker the further away from the mirror they travelled. Ruby soon gave up expelling flames to melt it away, instead allowing her back flames to ignite, but the snow was falling much faster than her flames could deal with. Instead, Totta shuffled along ahead of them, leaving a flat trail between two tall snowdrifts. Minerva plodded along behind the dunsparce, muttering as the freezing snow soaked through her paws.

“Could use a scarf, huh?” Totta called over her shoulder.

Somehow, somewhere, the dunsparce had managed to acquire a scarf and bobble hat. Minerva had decided not to question it. She hugged her arms around herself and stared past Totta towards what appeared at first glance to be a mound of colourful stones.

“Let’s just find some shelter,” said the meowth. “Then we can wait for this yak to stop fallin’.”

“Huh!” Totta shrugged her tiny wings. “I dunno what your problem is. I kinda like it.”

She turned and flop-shuffled her way through the snow, shovelling it up with her tail and snout to make a path for her teammates.

“I’m with Minerva,” said Ruby. “Ordinarily I wouldn’t mind a bit of snow, but this is just unnatural! It’s falling so fast!”

The cyndaquil sneezed out flames to dislodge a few flakes from her snout.

Minerva cast a glance back at Ruby. “I guess all that extra chub ya carryin’ doesn’t keep the cold out then?”

Ruby opened her eyes wide, then closed them again just as quickly. “This,” she waved a paw at her pronounced belly, “is retained fire!”

Minerva shrugged and continued on after Totta, who was now singing a cheery song about spuds.

“It’s true!” Ruby picked up pace so she was walking beside the meowth. “I make more fire than other cyndaquil! As a result my fire attacks are a lot stronger.”

“Can’t do anything about all this snow, though, huh?” Minerva half-muttered.

Ruby snorted again, sending a few embers across the white landscape.

“Sorry. That was rude of me.” Minerva rubbed her paws over her arms and glanced away. “I just get super grumpy when I’m cold and wet. Let’s just… look for somewhere dry for a while?”

A small smile spread across Ruby’s muzzle and she inched closer to Minerva. The cyndaquil’s flames intensified along her back.

“Here,” she said. “Maybe this will help a little?”

The meowth chuckled and returned Ruby’s smile. “Thanks. It does.”

“Hey, look!” Totta reared up on her tail to flail a wing at the ‘rocks’ ahead of them. “I think we’re deffo gonna find some shelter there! Look at those things! They’re like huge umbrellas!”

Minerva and Ruby mirrored each other as they inclined their heads on one side. Then they picked up pace to follow the now eager dunsparce as she shuffle-flopped towards the colourful display. The closer they got to it the less it looked like a a mound of rocks and the more it resembled a field of umbrellas. An earthy scent wafted on the breeze as it whipped through them towards the oncoming pokemon, cementing what it was just before they put the pieces together.

Totta stopped beneath one of the ‘umbrellas’, peering up at it with a mixture of confusion and awe.

Minerva scratched behind her ear in thought. “Well that ain’t no umbrella.”

Ruby opened her eyes for a better look. “I think these are-”

“Mushrooms!” Totta gasped. “This is a field of mushrooms!”

“I’d liken it more to a forest, personally,” said Ruby.

“I wonder who grew all these?” Totta went on. “Like… is there a dunsparce mushroom farmer around here? ‘Cos I wanna know what fertiliser he uses!”

“Don’t mushrooms feed off dead things?” Minerva asked.

Ruby’s flames went out at that statement and she fixed the meowth with a bewildered stare. “What? That sounds awful!”

“I meant like leaves, plants and all that icky stuff that clings to your fur,” said Minerva. “But sure, if ya wanna make it into a horror story, then be my guest.”

Totta wasn’t listening. They caught a glimpse of her red and green scarf as she vanished beyond the forest of towering mushroom stalks.

“Come on!” Minerva motioned for Ruby to follow and trotted after the dunsparce.

The ground beneath the rainbow of mushroom caps was free from snow, but the earth was mulchy and soft, leaving wedges of mud between their toes. Minerva paused to shake one of her paws to no avail, and she soon gave up trying. Not because it was entirely fruitless, but because the area around them lit up with a faint green light.

“Where’d that come from?” she asked quietly.

The towering mushrooms weren’t the only fungi. Growing closer to the ground, or clinging to the thick stalks of their neighbours, were smaller mushrooms not much taller than Minerva. Some were even smaller. And each one gave off a faint glow. First green, then yellow, then red, then pink, then back to green. The pale stalks of the towering mushrooms reflected it perfectly, giving the impression of a jewel-encrusted cave.

“This is amazing!” Ruby turned on the spot, casting her eyes over the gills above her head. “It’s so beautiful!”

“Yeah, but… have they always been doin’ that?” Minerva asked.

Ruby shrugged. “Let’s go, otherwise we’re going to lose Totta.”

Minerva gave a glance back the way they’d come. The snow was falling much heavier now. With no better option available to her, she followed after the cyndaquil.

The path between the mushrooms was clearly defined, since there was little room to wriggle between the tightly-knitted stalks. Any gaps were filled with smaller mushrooms, some that resembled tiny umbrellas clustered in the ground. Minerva and Ruby found Totta admiring such a spot - or was she talking to it? - as they rounded a bend.

Totta looked up at them and beamed. “I think I just made a friend!”

“Really?” Minerva scoffed. “They’re just mushrooms.”

At that, the cluster of tiny umbrellas rose into the air, each being clutched by a floette. The tiny pokemon drifted up towards the colourful canopy before vanishing into the thick gills.

“Well that’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen,” said Minerva.

“Did we scare them off?” Ruby asked.

“Nope!” Totta shook her head. “They said they were off to a tea party.”

Minerva blinked. “Pardon?”

“Tea party!”

“In a mushroom?”

Totta shrugged. “I dunno what tea they’d be servin’ but I sure don’t want any. Shall we move on? This place is amazing!”

The mushroom forest didn’t change much as they advanced. The soft lights lit their way, making the whole place feel oddly peaceful. Perhaps they were simply growing used to it? Or the lack of any immediate danger made them feel more at ease? The only sounds came from beyond the thick wall of mushrooms. Shuffles, grunts, and the occasional excited muttering. The sounds drew the attention of the trio, but only for a moment, since it stopped no sooner than it had started.

After a long while, Totta came to a sudden stop and let out an excited “Ooh!”

Minerva had to take a step back before her paw landed on the dunsparce’s drill of a tail.

“What is it?” Ruby asked, peering around Minerva’s shoulder.

“I think these are steps!” Totta shuffled to the side so her allies could get a better view.

What stood before her did indeed look like steps. Mushroom steps. The kind you might find growing up the side of a tree. They were red in colour, dotted with cream spots, and each one was flat and glossy. But they didn’t seem to lead anywhere…

“What are ya suggestin’?” Minerva asked. “We climb up and get a better view of this weird forest?”

“Nope! I’m suggesting we take them and see where they go,” said Totta.

“But they don’t go anywhere,” said Minerva.

“How do you know?” Totta looked at the mushrooms with admiration. “They might take us to adventure!”

“We’re already on an adventure, Totta,” said Ruby.

“I say we take ‘em!” Totta went on.

“Are you outta your cotton-pickin’ mind?” Minerva asked.

Totta looked back at her, the bobble of her hat bouncing off her snout. “I might be! Let’s go! What’ve we got to lose?”

Minerva and Ruby just blinked.

“Let’s face it,” said Totta. “If they don’t lead anywhere, then we’ll soon find out, right?”

Minerva and Ruby exchanged glances, and the former sighed.

“All right, sure.” The meowth shrugged. “Let’s climb these shroomy stairs.”

“They’re bracket mushrooms, actually,” said Totta.

“I thought ya were a pro on spuds not fungi,” Minerva scoffed.

Totta didn’t reply. She shuffled up the stairs first, with Minerva and Ruby close behind. As the dunsparce reached the top, she vanished! Minerva let out a small yell and stumbled forwards with the shock. Ruby grabbed her tail, finding herself pulled towards the top step. The mushroom forest warped around them, and they found themselves standing in a very similar environment. Except the path was wider, expanding out around them until it formed a perfectly round clearing.

Ruby scratched her head as she took it all in. “I guess this must be a Mystery Dungeon?”

The other two stared at her with contrasting looks of amusement and bewilderment.

“I’d had my suspicions,” Ruby went on, “but this world is so different to mine I just wasn’t expecting it to be a thing. You know?”

The others didn’t say anything, instead taking another look around. Cheerful voices came from the clearing, and they caught a glimpse of the mushroom floette drifting through the air.

“Ooh! Is that the tea party?” Totta asked as she began to flop towards the clearing.

Minerva wasted no time in taking after her. “You know, if this is a Mystery Dungeon, then I really hope there’s treasure at the end of it.”

The clearing opened out into a wide circle. In the middle was a huge, flat mushroom with smaller identical ones surrounding it. Each one a deep blue colour with lighter blue speckles. Although it wasn’t a table with chairs. The floette appeared to be serving tea rather than drinking it. Sprawled atop the large mushroom was a scolipede, but he looked different to the scolipede the trio were familiar with. His carapace was the same rusty red colour, but instead it looked soft and mushroom-like. He was also rather chubby, and had long feathery tufts on his tail-end rather than two long prongs. Clutched in one paw was a long, slender pipe attached to a hookah, which also sported a mushroom motif. He fixed the trio in a hard stare as they approached his perch.

“You’re late,” he said.

“Late?” Minerva gasped. “To what?”

“You know.” He took a long drag on his hookah.

The trio waited for him to elaborate, but he did not. Instead, he blew out a huge smoke ring which dissipated into a mushroom explosion.

“We don’t know,” said Minerva.

“Yeah,” said Totta. “We didn’t get any tea party invitations.”

“You are late,” he went on slowly, “to preventing this eternal winter.”

“Oh, hang on.” Ruby rubbed her snout. “Is this about what Bootleg has recruited us to? Because we only got the invitation two months ago.”

The scolipede rested his head on his free paw and idly tapped his hookah pipe on the mushroom. “You should have come immediately.”

“Yeah, that wasn’t exactly in our power, dude,” said Minerva.

“Excuses.” He sucked his pipe again, gazing off towards the path.

“So… you’ve been waiting for us?” Ruby ventured.

“Perhaps.” He turned to them again. “But first you need to prove yourselves.”

“Prove ourselves?” Minerva looked to her friends.

Ruby’s back ignited. “A battle?”

“Of sorts.” The scolipede was silent for a moment, before adding, “Poetry.”

Minerva spat air so hard she deflated. Totta caught her and righted her back to her feet.

“Poetry?” Minerva scoffed. “Ya have to be kiddin’ me?”

“No,” said the scolipede. “I like poetry. Impress me, and I shall aid you on your journey to freeing the Red Queen.”

The trio exchanged baffled glances.

“Okay, fine.” Minerva folded her arms. “One, two, button my shoe. Three, four, knock at the-”

“That is half-assed and you know it.” The scolipede gave her a piercing stare. “Try again.”

Minerva sighed into her paw. “Can’t ya just aide us without poetry?”

“If you fail my task,” the scolipede warned, “I shall unleash the momerath.”

One of the floette dropped her tea tray as she squealed, sending a rain of scalding green tea to the floor. Her friends set about helping her clear it up, but the scolipede didn’t seem to notice, or care.

Ruby sighed and shuffled her feet. “I don’t like the sound of this.”

“Well, it was never gonna be easy, was it?” Minerva asked. “I suck at poetry. What’ve you guys got?”

“I can go!” Totta beamed up at the scolipede.

“Once there was a little field where lot’s of taters grew,

But then one day a carrot said, “Hey I can do that too!”

So when the farmer went outside and saw the carrot’s head,

She plucked it out, tossed it aside, and said “Get out there, Fred!”

‘Cos she weren’t gonna put a carrot in a tater pie.

Other veg just makes it into one big tater LIE!”

Totta doubled over with snorts of laughter, then rolled onto her back gasping, “Tater lie! Get it?”

The scolipede let out a long sigh. “Ridiculous. Bring out the momerath.”

The floette halted their cleaning and floated as one towards the far edge of the clearing.

“Hey!” Totta flipped herself back upright. “That was comic genius!”

“I said I wanted poetry,” said the scolipede. “Not comedy.”

Ruby stepped forwards, her back still flaming. “Hey, don’t be hasty. We can surely come up with something you like.”

“You had your chance,” said the scolipede. “One too many if you ask me.”

A deep roar split the musty air and the trio froze. Ruby’s flames went out and a long stream of smoke curled from her nostrils as a long ‘nnnnnhhhhhh’ came from her snout.

“I thought ya had super fire powers,” Minerva mocked.

“I do, but I have no idea what a momerath even is!” Ruby squeaked.

Their answer came in the form of a huge, rolling ball of hair as it sped across the clearing towards them. It leapt into the air and uncurled into something that wasn’t quite a slakoth nor a tangela. It landed on four clawed paws and shook out its shaggy fur, each thick strand writhing like living tendrils.

“Looks like a grass-type to me.” Minerva shoved Ruby towards it with her foot. “Go on, you’ve got the advantage here.”

“How do you know?” Ruby asked, not taking her eyes off the momerath. “None of us have ever seen one before!”

“It’s mushroomy, right? And mushrooms burn.”

Totta reared up on her tail and whooped. “Yeah, burn it, baby!”

Minerva frowned at Totta over her shoulder. “You are having way too much fun for any sane pokemon.”

The momerath reared up on its hind legs and each of its tendrils snaked out away from it. “MOMERATH!”

It lurched towards Ruby who let out a small gasp. Her back flames erupted like a volcano, and a huge flamethrower spewed from her mouth. It engulfed the momerath before it could even reach her. Once the flames dissipated, the odd creature lay on its back, its eyes now crosses.

Ruby blinked a few times, stuttering incomprehensibly.

Totta peeked around Minerva’s side. “Huh. That was easy.”

Minerva rubbed her face with a paw. “Man, I was scared for nothin’! That rodent packs some serious fire power.”

Ruby, the situation now settling on her, rubbed her paws together and laughed. “Wow! Okay, that was fantastic! Bring on the next one!”

“There was only one.” The scolipede sounded somewhat disappointed. He tapped his pipe on the mushroom, not looking at either of them. “You have passed.”

“So ya gonna aide us?” Minerva asked. “Like ya promised?”

“Yes.” He stood up and moved away from them, towards the back of the clearing. “Take your reward. One size makes you larger. The other side makes you smaller.”

“Eh?”

“What’s he talking about?” Totta asked her allies.

“The mushroom,” came the scolipede’s voice.

The trio blinked at the huge, blue mushroom.

“But it’s round,” said Minerva. “How are we supposed to know which side to take?”

“Easy!” Totta was already beneath the blue mushroom. “We guess!”

A huge, heavy sigh drew Minerva’s and Ruby’s eye. Sat atop the mushroom was Bootleg, sipping from a mushroom cup of green tea.

“Don’t be so hasty,” he said.

“Hey, what are you doin’ here?” Minerva put her paws on her hips. “I thought ya needed our help, and here ya are, like ya could do it all along?”

“No, you have helped just fine,” he said. “But as for the reward, if you aren’t careful…” He raised a paw and the mushroom split in two down the middle. Totta let out a little yell from beneath it. “… Then you will fail.”

Totta stared at the one side of the mushroom she’d been gathering two slices from. “Huh! Well… thanks!” She grinned at the gills above her head.

“And now I leave you again!” Bootleg cheerfully declared as he raised a paw.

“Wait!” Minerva waved her arms to get his attention. “Ya seriously just gonna leave us here?”

He fixed his closed eyes on her. “Of course. You know the way.”

“Yeah, but-”

Ruby hopped from foot to foot. “Don’t worry, Minerva. If there’s any more momeraths then I can just burn them! Burn them all!”

Minerva jerked a thumb-claw to the cyndaquil. “Ya leave us in here, there ain’t gonna be no Mushroom Forest.”

Bootleg made a long, thoughtful noise. “You do have a point. Okay. Brace yourselves.”

The mew snapped his claws, and the Mushroom Forest warped and twisted around them.

...​

Rob lead his group along the winding road, his whiskers twitching at every nook and cranny. The old raticate had become more relaxed with his tail wrapped around Gil’s wrist, and he rambled on to his team mates while Swift kept to the air, making sure Zyzir didn’t perform yet another disappearing act. Beneath them, Gil turned their head left and right as they made a mental map of the area, just so they all didn’t get lost again. Not that ‘getting lost’ was possible when you were already lost.

Rob grunted and came to an abrupt stop, staggering back on his tail. He rubbed his snout with a paw and glared at a post in front of him.

“Now who would go and put a post right in the middle of a perfectly good corridor?” he grumbled.

“If you would excuse me for cutting in,” said Gil, “this appears to be a sign post.”

“Oh.” Rob straightened and raised his head towards it. “Then I’ll let it off this time, then.”

Swift landed atop it and peered down at the signs. “Can any of you read this? Is it helpful at all?”

Rob narrowed his milky eyes at the text. “That… doesn’t appear to be within my abilities. I never could get the hang of human script.”

Gil made a thoughtful noise and scratched the top of their head. “It appears to be written in some cursive font that is alien to my collection of alphabets.”

Swift visibly deflated and clicked his beak, turning his head to follow each of the paths that forked off from theirs.

“Oh wait.” Gil tipped their head at an angle, and the golett’s eyes lit up. “It appears to be backwards. Do you perhaps have a mirror handy?”

Rob tapped his flanks and shook his head. “Nope. Not today.”

Swift ruffled his feathers. “I try not to go near mirrors. They’re… too tempting.”

“Oh bother.” Gil sighed. “This might take me a moment. Please bare with me.”

“How about you, Zyzir?” Swift looked up when no answer came, and he raised his wings slightly, his head turning in jerky movements. “Zyzir? Zyzir!”

“The little whippersnapper took off again?” Rob asked.

Swift sighed and fluttered into the air. “I’ll go and find him. You help Gil.”

“I think I’ll be more helpful to you, Swift.” Rob unwound his tail from Gil’s arm and raised it to the pidgey. “Come on. Let’s find our friend.”

Swift took the raticate’s tail in one talon and flew along beside him as the old rat bounded through the snow.

“Pretty cold carpet, huh?” said Rob. “Think they could turn the heating up a little? This is enough to make me want to hibernate, and us raticate don’t do that.”

“It is a tad chilly.” Swift looked at the trees growing alongside the snow-covered road, and caught a glimpse of sunlight through the canopy. “It might get warmer soon, though.”

“Someone turned the heating on?”

Swift chuckled. “Yes. Give it time. This place is big.”

“All right then. Keep an eye on the rafters, that’s where bats like to hide. I’ll see if I can sniff him out.”

Swift kept an eye on the sky, searching for the little zubat. It wasn’t long before a shrill cry came from his right. Rob stiffened, raising up like a meerkat as he turned his nose towards the tree beside them. Swift doubled back before he pulled the raticate’s tail off, and flailed his wings to remain stationary.

There, circling the bare canopy, shouting at the icicles hanging from the branches, was Zyzir.

“Zyzir!” Swift called.

The zubat turned in the air, searching for the voice. “Swift?”

The pidgey sighed. “I’m going to have to release you, Rob. Stay here.”

“All right,” said the raticate. “Don’t get lost now, ya hear?”

Swift dropped his tail and darted towards the zubat. Rob hunched over, pawing at the ground. He shuffled backwards until his rump met a large snowdrift.

“Yow, that’s a cold wall,” he muttered. But its presence relaxed him and he waited, twitching his whiskers at the wind.

Swift returned with Zyzir in tow. “Please stay close this time, okay?”

“Of course I will!” Zyzir circled Rob’s head. “I just wanted a look around and I got distracted. Did you see all them icicles?! One of them broke off and clipped my tail and I was all ‘ow!’ so I told it off and lost track of you and-”

“You were ahead of us,” Swift explained.

“Exactly!” said Zyzir. “So many icicles!”

“I told you it was cold,” said Rob as he lead them back towards Gil.

The golett was exactly where they left them, except a dusting of snow covered their shoulders. Gil stood with a paw to their chin, gazing up at the sign post.

Swift released Rob so he could take Gil’s arm again, then landed on the golett’s head to brush the snow away with his wings.

“Welcome back,” said Gil. “I have begun to translate this unusual script.”

“Any joy?” Rob asked.

“Yes. The left road will take us to somewhere called Moonlit Valley. The road ahead of us leads to a place called Jabberwock Lair. The right will take us to The Tea House.”

Rob rubbed his arms briskly. “I wouldn’t say no to a nice, hot tea.”

“I do not consume tea,” Gil explained. “But I appreciate it is a warm beverage that will help us against this snowy weather.”

“Is it fruit tea?” Zyzir asked. “Because fruit tea is the best tea. Not like that bitter black stuff you need to add milk to, or stuff made with leaves. Nope, fruit tea is the way to go.”

“With a name like Tea House, I imagine they’ll have fruit tea,” said Swift.

“You don’t add milk to fruit tea,” Zyzir went on. “Or sugar. Fruit makes its own sugar. Ooh sugar canes! We should totally get one of those!”

“Then we are headed for the Tea House?” asked Gil.

“Yes please!” Zyzir circled Gil’s head as they turned onto the right path. “What tea will you be ordering?”

“Like I explained, I do not consume tea.”

Zyzir appeared above Rob. “What about you?”

“Hmm… I might sample a bit of everything,” said Rob. “Get these old bones warmed up.”

“Bone tea?!” Zyzir gasped.

Rob looked towards him with a start, his brow furrowed.

“I do not believe that is what our raticate friend was suggesting,” said Gil. “But bone tea does sound quite vile, and that is coming from someone who does not possess the capacity to sample such a beverage.”

They continued on like that, following the road as it wound through a fruit orchard. Frozen berries dotted the branches, glistening in the faint sunlight. Where the sun touched the frost melted, forming tiny droplets that froze again into little shimmering beads. Zyzir and Swift admired them in awe, the zubat zipping back and forth between each one and describing them to Rob in great detail, while Swift kept a watchful eye from his perch on Gil’s head. The pidgey’s wings were growing stiff with the cold as the snow peppered his feathers.

“This place is so beautiful!” Zyzir exclaimed. “I could stay here and look at it forever!” He zipped from the berry tree he’d been admiring and froze as a little cottage caught his eye. “Look at that thing!”

The cottage was a squat little thing, slightly rounded with a thatch roof. A chimney curved up at one side like the spout of a teapot, with grey smoke curling from it to join the clouds. Above the door was a sign that read ‘The Tea House’- backwards.

“It certainly looks like it’ll be warm,” said Swift.

“Then let’s get these aching bones warmed up then, hey?” Rob lead them towards the gate, keeping his whiskers to the ground to find his way through it.

Zyzir circled above them yelling, “Fruit tea! Fruit tea!”

Gil gave the door a polite knock and it opened, revealing the face of a mr rime.

“Pardon us,” said Gil, “but we were hoping-”

“No room!” The mr rime slammed the door so hard the brass knocker rattled.

“Well that was rude,” said Swift.

“You’re telling me,” said Rob. “I aughta give that young lad a lesson in respecting his elders.”

The raticate approached the door and rapped his claws against it. It opened once more, only slightly, enough to reveal the eye of the mr rime.

“Now listen here, lad,” said Rob. “Is that any way to treat another pokemon? We’ve been walking through this freezing building for hours, now could you please let us into your nice, warm room or do I need to give you a scolding?”

“Building?” The mr rime opened the door wider to peer around outside. “What building?”

“This one.” Rob gestured to the air around him. “Now be a good lad and let us-”

“You are in the forest.”

Rob’s whiskers stiffened and everyone looked between the raticate and the mr rime.

“This is no building,” the gentleman-like pokemon went on. “This is the great outdoors. The big open wild. The forest, with a little cottage in the middle of it. Not a building!” He looked up at Rob’s friends. “And they call me mad?”

Rob’s whiskers were trembling. He stared blankly past the mr rime, his nose twitching at the warm air seeping out from the cottage. In an instant, the rat took off and shoved his way past the mr rime, eliciting a yell of surprise.

“Well excuse me!” The mr rime turned to watch after him and smoothed down his waistcoat. “What an alarming lack of manners!”

Swift, Gil and Zyzir were speechless (the latter for the first time since they’d arrived in the snowy world). They blinked at the mr rime who had now turned to address them again. But before he could, Swift raised a wing to cut him off.

“That was a little cold,” said the pidgey.

“Yes, it is cold,” said the mr rime.

Swift sighed and ruffled his feathers. “Look. Is this a Tea House? And if so, please can we come in?”

“Some of us struggle with the cold,” Gil explained. “All of us, actually. Swift and Zyzir here are flying-types, I myself am a ground-type. And Rob… he is an elderly raticate who’s bones complain with this weather.”

“Then what are you doing out in it?” asked the mr rime.

“We have been tasked with-” Gil was cut off by Swift waving a wing in their face. “Oh. A thousand pardons.”

The mr rime narrowed his eyes at them. “So… you would like tea?”

“Oh yes please!” Zyzir fluttered back and forth before him. “Fruit tea, please!”

“Hmph.” The mr rime stood aside and held the door open. “Very well. But there is very little room.”

The trio stepped through the warmth into a wide open room. A window was set beside a blazing fireplace, the chute of which curled along the wall where it finally ended where the spout was situated in the roof. Rob sat before the fireplace talking to - or rather talking at - a lopunny who was spreading a slice of toast with butter. The rabbit pokemon sat at the head of a very long table that looked as though it had been laid out for a rather large party. A few of the utensils were used and overturned, particularly at one edge of the table where a dedenne lay face down on a plate of butter. Bubbles rose from the butter in time with the rodent’s loud snores.

“This doesn’t look like a shop,” said Swift.

“Who said it was a shop?” asked the mr rime. “This is a house.”

“But… it says ‘Tea House’ outside,” Swift explained.

Gil nodded. “Backwards.”

“This is a house,” said the mr rime, “in the shape of a teapot. Where we drink a lot of tea. Therefore, Tea House.”

“But…” Swift was almost at a loss for words. “But this is only one room! You live here?”

The mr rime exchanged glances with the lopunny and nodded.

“Where do you sleep?” Gil asked.

The mr rime waved a paw towards the dedenne, who muttered buttery thoughts in their sleep.

“Huh,” said Swift. “Beginning to reconsider that cup of tea.”

“Lots of tea,” said the lopunny. “Help yourself!”

He then sat down, reached for his cup and stirred the contents with his butter knife.

“Come on then! Enough lollygagging!” The mr rime ushered them towards the table and practically plonked them down into their seats. Then he called out, “More tea!”

A teapot floated from the fireplace and drifted along the table. It stopped by Zyzir’s seat and tipped out a strange, purple tea.

“What flavor is this?” he asked. “Grape?”

The teapot’s lid lifted off, revealing a pair of swirling eyes in a purple watery face. “It’s Whatever You Want It To Be Tea!”

The trio stiffened, staring at the tea-like apparition. As it drifted along towards Gil, Zyzir sniffed his tea cautiously.

Rob appeared beside the pidgey, his whiskers twitching at the steaming contents in his tea cup.

“So…” Swift took a tiny sip of his drink and shook his head at the bitter taste. “Mr Rime-”

“My name is Hat Man Euston Von Clyde Senior the Fifth,” said the mr rime.

“I just call him Mr Hat,” said the lopunny.

“And I hate it,” said the mr rime. “Silly March has no manners whatsoever.”

“I ooze manners!” March loudly slurped his tea.

“Well it is a little long,” said Swift. “How about we just call you Hat?”

“Or Hatter?” Offered Zyzir.

“Hat Man is fine.” The mr rime took a sip of tea.

Rob ventured his own tea and recoiled in disgust. “This smells like perfume!”

“It is Earl Grey,” said Hat Man.

“I’ve never even heard of that,” said Rob.

“Mine does too,” said Zyzir. “I thought this was ‘Whatever You Want It To Be Tea’?”

“It is,” said Hat Man. “And I wanted it to be Earl Grey.”

Swift and his friends blinked in confusion. Before any of them could voice it, however, soot tricked from the fireplace. The group of four turned towards it, but Hat Man and March didn’t even twitch, nor did the dedenne. A flash of black appeared above the flames and Bootleg zipped into the room, sporting a red and white hat.

“Ho ho ho my goodness! Is it warm in here!” The mew landed at the opposite end of the table.

“No room!” Hat Man barked.

“No room whatsoever!” added March.

“No room… no room…” the dedenne mumbled into his butter.

Bootleg kicked his feet up on the table and tucked his paws behind his head. He waved the polteageist down and it drifted over to serve him.

“You aren’t welcome here, you ragamuffin,” said Hat Man. “Some nerve you have, inviting yourself in like that.”

“Oh dear. I don’t feel welcome at all,” said Bootleg. “And I thought you two were supposed to be the most welcoming pokemon here?”

“After what you did?” Hat Man snorted tea from his nose. “This blinkin’ winter is all your fault.”

Swift and his friends turned their heads towards the mew.

“That depends on which way you look at it.” Bootleg sipped his tea.

“Well we certainly look at it that way,” said Hat Man.

“Very much so,” added March.

Bootleg paused his tea sipping. “I needed to speak with these nice pokemon and see how they’re progressing.”

“Not very well, I’m afraid,” said Gil. “We do not even know what it is we are looking for.”

“And I want to know what he’s so upset about!” said Swift. “You said this winter is because of the White Queen!”

“It is,” said Hat Man. “But that mew there is responsible for the Snark.”

“As I’ve said a thousand times.” Bootleg fixed Hat Man with one purple eye. “I lost control of the Snark.” He closed his eye again in a beaming smile. “And now I need help to stop it!”

Swift let out a long sigh. “Well that’s a relief. So… have you any idea what we’re looking for? Or where we’re meant to be going?”

“You are in the right place,” said Bootleg. “That I can assure you.”

“Hang on,” said Rob. “If you know where it is, then why do you need us?”

“Because, as you can see, I am not very welcome here.” Bootleg met the narrowed eyes of Hat Man, and smiled. “He isn’t exactly going to give it up so easily.”

“If you are looking for the Teapot Cannon, I dropped it this morning.” Hat Man closed his eyes and slurped his Earl Grey.

Bootleg sighed and shook his head. “Such butterfingers.”

“Exactly!” March licked butter off his paw.

“So it’s broken?” Swift squeaked.

“Not exactly,” explained Hat Man. “Just lost.”

“That doesn’t make any sense,” said Rob.

“I want a clean cup!” said Hat Man. “Move them over!”

The polteageist rose from his teapot and waved his arms anti-clockwise. The cups and saucers rose from the table and moved one over towards the mr rime. The clean cup situated between him and the other pokemon landed before him, while March ended up with his dirty one. Each of the four pokemon ended up with the cup beside them, which meant Zyzir ended up with a cup the mr rime had used earlier that morning.

The zubat’s nose crinkled and his ears drooped. “Yikes, what a mess!”

“It can’t be lost,” said Swift, returning to the dropped Teapot Cannon. “Where did you drop it?”

“Trust me, it’s lost,” said March. “He dropped it into the cup he had with his breakfast.”

“It alarmed me,” said Hat Man. “Sent all my tea right at the wall there.” He nodded at an unsightly stain on the wallpaper. “But if you can retrieve it, it’s yours.”

“Retrieve it how?” Swift asked.

“From the cup,” Hat Man answered, somewhat unhelpfully. “But trust me, everything that falls in there is lost forever.”

March let out a sad sigh. “I lost my last biscuit to that cup once. Such a sad time.”

“So wait…” Gil scratched their head. “We have to retrieve a teapot from inside a cup? How curious.”

“Twinkle twinkle little bat,” said the dedenne, “how I wonder where you’re at…”

“Help!” The cry was somewhat muffled, and all eyes turned to Zyzir’s seat.

But the seat was now empty.

Bootleg raised an eyebrow. “Oh dear. I guess he’s lost now too?”

Gil grabbed the teacup and peered inside it. The golett’s eyes lit up brighter and they jerked back in their seat slightly. Swift and Rob appeared at either shoulder to see what had distressed Gil. Inside the cup was a cloud of swirling purple, and Zyzir zipped back and forth erratically, his cries echoing feebly from within.

“Zyzir!” squeaked Swift. He turned to his friends. “What do we do?” Then to Bootleg, more frantically, “What do we do?!”

The mew shrugged and sipped his tea, reclining back in his seat.

“Well he’s about as useful as a chocolate teapot,” scoffed Gil.

“I tried one of those once,” said March around a mouthful of toast. “Tea everywhere.”

“Most unsightly mess,” added Hat Man.

Swift turned to Gil and Rob. “I think it’s safe to say no one here is going to help us. And we can’t just leave Zyzir.”

“Absolutely not,” said Rob. “I won’t allow it. I’ll go and find that young whippersnapper.”

“How?” asked Gil. “He appears to be lost in a vortex inside a teacup. And we are all a bit too big to get inside there.”

“So is Zyzir, but he managed it,” said Swift.

“No offence, but that youngster could get lost in a cardboard box,” said Rob. “This is no different. I’ll go in there and get him.”

“But it’s tiny,” said Swift. “Look!”

The pidgey stuck his wing into the cup and the feathers twisted and distorted, stretching out towards the vortex. He whipped his wing back and clutched it to his side, staring wide-eyed into the cup. Zyzir’s tiny form appeared briefly as he darted across the opening, then took off to fly further away from them.

“Okay,” said Swift more calmly. “What do we do?”

“I have a suggestion,” said Gil. “Based on what I just observed, it is possible to come back from the vortex. Otherwise, Swift here would have been sucked right in. If one of us goes inside, we can keep hold of them, like a living rope, if you will.”

Swift hugged himself and stared helplessly into the cup. “And if we fail?”

“Then we are lost,” said Gil. “And we will have failed Zyzir.”

They stared silently into the teacup as they processed this.

Rob cleared his throat, drawing their eyes. “Then I should be the one to do it.”

“Not at all!” said Swift. “Let me. I can fly.”

“I have a fantastic sense of direction,” said Rob. “And I’ve lived my life. You are youngsters. If I fail, at least you have the rest of your lives ahead of you.”

Swift swallowed around a lump in his throat.

“Pardon me,” said Gil, “but I believe I may be older than you are, Rob.”

“Spending time asleep, frozen in time, doesn’t mean you aren’t a youngster.” Rob grinned. “Let me do it. I’ll keep hold of you with my tail, okay?”

Gil and Swift nodded once.

Rob looped his tail into Swift’s talon, and the pidgey clamped onto Gil’s arm with the other. The cup was set on the table, and Rob shuffled over to it, poking his nose inside. His body stretched out like a piece of tattered rope and he vanished into the vortex. Swift kept hold of his tail, following Rob inside. He looked back over his shoulder at Gil, who’s arm was stretched out behind him. The golett looked miles away, and Rob seemed even further. His tail stretched like elastic, clasped tightly in Swift’s claws.

The raticate’s whiskers twitched as he tried to work his way over the floor. Each one was a section of floating tiles, and he made leaps of faith to find the next one. A high pitched whine filled the vortex, changing in pitch and frequency like some alien song. It drowned out Rob’s voice as he shouted for Zyzir. The zubat’s cries seemed distant as if he was far away. Round teabags bobbed in the air, passing by overhead like eyes in a sea of biscuit crumbs.

“Zyzir, can you hear me?!” Rob cried.

“Rob?!” Zyzir’s response was muffled, but he faltered in the air, turning his head towards his friend’s voice.

The raticate reared up on his hind legs. “Zyzir?!” An old teabag struck his ear and he grunted, swatting it away with a paw. “You see, this is why I don’t like littering. It’s a nuisance for everyone.”

“Rob!” Zyzir cried, soaring in circles. “Where are you?! All I can hear is this static shriek!”

“Follow my voice, boy!” Rob roared.

“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!” Zyzir circled, training his ear’s on Rob’s voice. “I think I’ve found you!”

The bat darted towards him as Rob kept moving forwards, shouting to the young zubat. Zyzir zipped nimbly beneath an old, soggy biscuit just as a large teapot bobbed into his flight path. He squeaked, beating his wings to get higher. But instead, he slipped through its lid and struck the wall inside. The lid clattered back into place, trapping the zubat.

“Rob, help, it’s dark!” he panicked.

Rob inclined his head on one side. “Zyzir? Why do you sound like you’re stuck in a box?”

“I think… I think I’m inside a teapot! Help!”

Rob muttered under his voice something about ‘troublesome youths’ and reached up with his claws. They found the handle of the teapot before it continued its journey through the vortex. He turned back towards his tail, tapping it with his whiskers. He followed it all the way back until his nose brushed against warm feathers.

“Is that you, Swift?” he asked.

The pidgey’s beak curled in a smile. “It is, Rob. Did you find Zyzir?”

“Let’s get out first, hey lad?”

Their bodies warped and twisted, and they poured out of the teacup onto the tablecloth. Gil’s eyes lit up and they clasped their hands together.

“Oh, thank goodness you are all okay!” The golett paused. “Where is Zyzir?”

Rob opened the teapot and the zubat shot out, darting amid the rafters.

“It ate me!” he cried. “It ate me then spit me back up!”

“You found the Teapot Cannon?” Swift gasped.

Rob chuckled. “You could say Zyzir found it.”

The group chuckled, and Zyzir came back down to investigate the odd teapot. Its long spout curled up like any other teapot, but its body was made of iron, and was as black as night.

“You actually tried to serve tea in this?” Swift asked Hat Man.

The mr rime shrugged. “It’s a teapot, isn’t it?” His brow furrowed and he looked away from them. “I am a ‘mon of my word. Since you found it, it’s yours.”

“We can return it after,” said Swift. “It’s to help defeat the Snark.”

“Snark?” Hat Man frowned at them. “You want to defeat the White Queen’s Snark? No one has succeeded.”

“You look puzzled,” said March. “Do you even know what a Snark is?”

“It is what the White Queen has, is it not?” asked Gil.

March snorted. “I guessed as much.”

“A Snark,” said Hat Man, “is a gentle creature. They can be told apart by those that have feathers and bite, and those that have claws and scratch.”

“For although Snarks do no common harm,” said March slowly, “some are Boojums.”

The group of four stared at them in silence.

“Why do I feel this is important?” said Swift.

Hat Man sipped his tea, while March returned to his toast. The dedenne rolled over in the butter and wiped a paw across his slippery nose.

“Well!” Bootleg rose from his seat and floated over to the group. “You have successfully obtained the Teapot Cannon! After that impressive stunt, I feel I aught to offer you a way out of here.”

“A way out? It’s just a house,” said Swift.

“After that endeavour, I wouldn’t mind a bit of help,” said Rob, digging his claws into the table. “But… can you please take us somewhere warm? And indoors?”

Bootleg tipped an imaginary hat. “I shall do what I can.”

...​

(Continued in next post)

Last edited:

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
Peter skipped on ahead, sniffing at every plant, rock and tree he passed. Jung watched the odd rockruff hybrid’s squat form bounding along with the gait of a yamper, his short bushy tail wagging like a fan. The hypno still clutched Maressa’s goldfish bowl in his paws, and the horsea poked her head free of the water to admire their surroundings.

“Is it just me, or is it getting snowier?” she asked with a glance at Jung’s deep paw prints.

“Perhaps we are heading towards higher ground?” Jung suggested.

“I don’t think that’s the case,” said Sid from beside him. The quilava kept his nose buried in his map. “We’ve not headed up hill once in the entire time we’ve been here.”

Peter paused with one paw in the air and looked back at them. “It’s because we’re heading north!”

“North-east, to be precise,” said Sid. “At least… we were meant to be.”

Peter shrugged. “Common sense will tell anyone it gets colder the further north you go.”

Sid nodded and look up at Jung.

The hypno scratched his head and glanced up the path they’d been following. “I didn’t think we’d been walking all that long.”

“This place is just weird,” said Maressa.

The path wound through the trees, sometimes doubling back on itself to do a loop-de-loop before winding back through the forest. Signs were nailed to the trees, encouraging travellers to go back the way they’d come, or to ‘ignore that sign, go this way!’ Some even pointed towards the canopy, with the reassurance there were no jubjub birds nesting.

“I don’t even want to know what one of those is,” Peter had said as they’d passed one a good way back.

“I guess we should just keep going,” said Sid. “We’re bound to find our way out of this forest sooner or later.”

“Or find what we’re looking for,” added Peter. “My nose can smell something intriguing, and I wish to follow it.”

“Which way?” Maressa asked.

Peter stuck his nose in the air and sniffed loudly. A look of confusion crossed his face, and he looked back at her with his tongue hanging out.

“The wind has dispersed it,” he said. “It was ahead of us, but now it seems to be back that way.” He nodded back the way they’d come, and all heads turned to follow it.

“But there was nothing that way,” said Jung. “Only trees.” He turned back to Peter. “Are you certain your nose is trustworthy?”

“Oh yes!” said Peter. “It’s my greatest tool! As well as my intellect, that is. Trust me. Maybe I’ll pick it up again?”

With that, the rockruff stuck his nose back to the ground and skipped on. The rest followed cautiously, while Sid looked from his map to the path they’d taken.

“Is that really a map of this place?” Maressa asked. “It seems odd since no one else got one.”

“It’s a WonderMap,” said Sid. “I found it after I’d woken up from my visit with Bootleg. It does seem strange no one else got one though.”

“And it tells us where we’re going?” asked Maressa.

Sid shrugged. “Places just kind of appear on it. The whole world outside where we are is covered with fog until we traverse it. I’m only using it in case we need to backtrack.”

Peter froze suddenly, nose twitching and ears pricked. They rotated back towards the others, followed by a turn of his head.

Sid stopped his ongoing explanation to strain his ears to pick up what had worried the rockruff. Then they all heard it. A deep, resonating howl that shook their insides.

“Something’s here,” Peter squeaked.

“And it sounds big,” said Sid. “We may be about to find out what a jubjub bird is.”

Maressa stiffened. “What kind of bird howls? They usually screech, or hoot, or-”

The howl came again, closer this time, followed by a snap of wood. The trees behind them bucked and swayed as if something huge and colossal was shoving its way through them.

Sid tucked away his map. “Well, I guess backtracking is no longer an option.”

Jung had already taken a step away from the swaying trees. A huge shadow slipped between them, then a white paw the size of Peter stepped out onto the path. It lead up to a huge, quadruped body that resembled that of an arcanine. Except it was black and white, and shimmered in the low light. Its face was more feline, with huge sabre-like teeth that poked from its lips. Four piercing green eyes glared down at them from among a fluffy white mane. The beast’s jaws opened and it let out a howl, almost blowing the four pokemon over.

Jung wiped droplets from his face that he hoped were Maressa’s water and not spittle.

“What do we do?” Maressa asked. “Fight it?”

“We don’t even know what it is,” said Sid, somewhat confidently. He looked up at Jung and nodded to the rusty pendulum around his neck. “Hey, you can hypnotise it, right?”

“I’d much rather not,” said Jung.

“But that thing looks like it wants to eat us.”

“I have my reasons.”

“So we’re gonna fight it?” Peter asked, stepping beside his allies. “I mean… looking at it, it’s probably an ice-type or something. You should have no problem there, Sid.”

The beast hissed, taking a step forwards. It seemed to still be assessing them, its eyes wandering to each in turn.

“Not necessarily,” said Sid. “I mean, look at seel and dewgong! They’ve got white fur and enough water-type moves to give me a bad time. This thing could probably drown me in its own bath water!”

“Okay, then I’ll try something.” Peter picked up a rock from beside the road and tossed it. It bounced off the beast’s snout, and the creature’s muzzle creased as a low growl rumbled from its throat. “Well. That failed.” Peter grinned at his friends. “Any other ideas?”

The beast’s fur bristled along its back, and all its muscles tensed as it lowered itself to the ground.

“Yes,” said Jung. “We run. Fast.”

Sid and Peter took off ahead of him while Jung threw up a barrier. Then he turned to take off after the other two pokemon.

“Will that work?” Maressa asked.

The sound of shattering glass answered that question. The beast’s heavy footsteps slapped the snow behind them as it glided effortlessly over it. Its looming shadow spread over the four fleeing pokemon, and Sid ventured a glance back.

“This way!” He nodded to the trees and vanished beyond them.

The rest followed, shimmying through the narrow gaps between the closely knit trunks. Jung slid through after Peter, feeling the beast’s claws just miss his back. He looked back briefly to see the beast’s paw wedged between two trunks. An enraged howl shook the forest as it wrenched its paw free. The trees parted as it shoved its way through them, sending icicles raining down from the canopy.

Peter lunged to the side to dodge the sharp, falling ice. His breaths came in heavy bursts as he sought a way through the trees with his nose.

“I can smell it again!” he said. “There’s something just up ahead!”

“Then lead the way!” barked Sid. “It might take us somewhere safe!”

“It’s smoke!” Peter went on. “And something savoury, like roots or something!”

They all followed after the rockruff, their feet moving faster than they’d ever thought they could. The breath of the beast misted before it, engulfing them as it gained ground.

“Roll!” Jung shouted.

The group leapt apart, rolling into the trees. Maressa’s water sloshed all over the snow, immediately forming puddles of sheet ice. The horsea ducked into what remained in her bowl and peered out at the beast. It had abandoned the other two pokemon to come after them.

Jung stood and ran, weaving through the trees to rejoin Peter and Sid. A surprised yelp stung his ears and he caught a glimpse of the beast sliding along the ice on its bottom. Its muzzle struck the side of a steady, ancient oak, shaking its branches. The tree dumped a load of snow onto the beast, burying it.

“Well that brought us some time,” Jung told Maressa. “Nice going.”

“Yes, I… I planned that entirely,” joked the horsea.

Jung smiled at her, and she laughed, shaking her head.

Sid and Peter had slowed enough for them to catch up, but when Jung and Maressa rejoined them the rockruff took off towards the path. A huge sign hung from a tree beside it that said ‘Are you sure you want to go this way?’

“Yep!” said Peter as he followed it.

The smells he’d described wafted towards them, and as the path wound to the left they found themselves standing before a small cottage. Smoke billowed from its wonky chimney, and the smell of something wonderful cooking oozed from the door.

Peter licked his lips and his tail wagged. “I don’t know about you, but I could use a snack after all that.”

“Seconded,” said Jung. “Perhaps whoever is beyond this door will be happy to share?” He lifted his paw to knock.

“I wouldn’t bother.”

The voice came from the bushes, and a froakie peered out at them. He was wearing a butler’s outfit, which was oddly clean from his nap in the snow. He yawned widely and closed his eyes.

“It’s pointless,” he went on, “since I’m on this side of the door.”

“Can you let us in?” Sid asked.

“I can.”

They waited, watching the froakie as he yawned again.

“Will you?” Maressa asked.

“No,” was the answer.

The group exchanged glances.

“Well I’m going in,” said Peter. He clawed at the door, where the handle would have been, and laughed. “Erm…”

“I told you,” said the froakie.

“Well, we’re about to see how useful my psychic is,” said Jung. “Stand back.”

He shifted Maressa into one paw and placed the other on the door. There was a loud click, and the door swung open smoothly.

Sid and Peter stared up at him from behind him.

“What were we standing back for, exactly?” Peter asked.

“Yes,” said Sid. “I expected that to be a whole lot more exciting.”

“Sometimes it can get a little violent,” said Jung. “This door wasn’t that stubborn. Go in, we’re letting in the cold.”

Peter bounced on his toes. “Woohoo! Dinner time!”

They followed him inside, leaving the froakie who had once again fallen asleep in the bushes.

With the cold left outside, the heat from the fireplace warmed the entire room. It was a kitchen joined to a sitting room, and the entire place was in utter chaos. A gardevoir hunched by the fireplace, tossing utensils around her. They’d walked in mid-rant, since it wasn’t clear what exactly had wronged her. But she was worried about something, so much so she hadn’t even noticed four pokemon had invaded her home.

A few grunts came from the living room, and a squat creature snuffled around the sofa. It wasn’t quite a pig. Its colours and face were that of a drowzee, and it plodded along on all-fours, its trunk sweeping along the floor and beneath the sofa trimming.

Jung’s lip curled and he shuffled with unease. “Well, that’s a disturbing image.”

“Where is it? Where is it? Where is it?!” the gardevoir screamed.

A large soup pan went soaring past Jung’s ear to clatter against the wall. It dislodged a shelf in the process, sending its contents to the floor. Sid caught a book mid-fall and quirked an eyebrow at its cover.

“’How to Hunt a Snark’,” he said. “Hey, this could come in handy!”

The gardevoir stood up and placed her paws on her hips, frowning at her kitchen. “I can’t cook a good Snark Soup without it!” Her eyes fell on the four pokemon currently standing in her living room. “Where did you lot come from?”

“Outside!” said Peter helpfully.

“Huh.” She shrugged and folded her arms. “Well you’re here now. But if you’re here for soup, you’ll be strongly disappointed.”

“You sound like you’ve lost something,” said Maressa. “Can we help?”

The gardevoir frowned at the horsea and huffed. “You can’t. You barely have any water. Here.” She promptly strutted over and upended a jug of water into the goldfish bowl.

Maressa thanked her profusely but the gardevoir waved her off.

“So what brings you here?” she asked. “Soup? Or business?”

“We’re actually looking for items to defeat the White Queen’s Snark,” said Peter. “My nose lead us here.”

“A nose can lie,” said the gardevoir. “But perhaps this time it has done you a great justice? If I hadn’t lost it, that is. The name’s Duchess.”

“Well, Duchess,” said Peter, “if something is lost, then I am the ‘mon to find it!” The rockruff whipped a deerstalker out of hammerspace and plopped it atop his head. “Great Detective Peter, at your service!”

“Really?” said Sid. “How many cases have you solved?”

“Enough,” said Peter.

“That’s not exactly going to make a good resume,” said Maressa. “We need numbers.”

Peter raised a stubby paw. “Silence! The Great Detective needs the perfect atmosphere in order to detect this missing item.” A look of puzzlement crossed his muzzle and he looked up at Duchess, who looked as baffled as the rest of them. “Erm… what is it that’s missing?”

“Pepper,” she said.

“Pe… pepper?” Peter stuttered. “Well… that should be easy enough to sniff out.” He lowered his snout to the floor. “Where did you see it last?”

“The kitchen of course!” Duchess snapped. She dragged a paw down her face. “Sorry. But when I lose things, I get very testy. I’ve had that thing looking for it all afternoon.” She pointed a claw at the pig-drowzee.

The squat thing grunted and snuffled as its trunk swept over the floor, catching Jung’s foot. He let out a rather embarrassing ‘eek!’ and skittered to the side, quickly regaining his usual demeanour.

“What is it exactly?” Sid asked.

“It’s a Finder Pig,” explained Duchess. “Fat use it is. It keeps finding left-overs and stuffing itself.”

Peter approached it and dipped his head in a bow. “Pleasure to meet you, fellow Finder of Lost Things! Perhaps we can work together to reach the bottom of this conundrum?”

The Finder Pig stopped before him and raised its trunk to snuffle around his face. Peter let out a nervous laugh and tried to shift its persistent nose with a paw.

“That’s a little moist,” he said.

The drowzee reached his hat and stuck its trunk beneath it. It came back out with a peanut butter and jam sandwich which it promptly stuffed inside its mouth before moving on.

“See what I mean?” said Duchess.

“Oh man.” Peter’s ears drooped. “That was my lunch.”

“Well get on with it then!” Duchess shooed Peter towards the kitchen. “You say you’re a detective so get detecting!”

“This is really fascinating,” said Sid.

The quilava was sat beside the upended shelf with his nose buried in the book. Jung and Maressa joined him and the hypno dropped into a squat beside the fire-type.

“Listen to this,” said Sid.

“’Snarks are a peculiar thing not that quite distinct,

from their Boojum brethren with fiercer instinct,

but both possess aversion to the pepper seed,

that renders both immobilised by sneezing one should heed’.”

“So this tells us exactly what we need?” Maressa gasped.

“Apparently,” said Sid. “Listen, it goes on:

’But to administer pepper one should find a pot,

with a cannon strength to fire the pepper shot.

Boojums are the bigger one so shrinking is the thing,

that will render Boojums to a tinier thing.

Snarks are not so big but size is still the key,

bigger or smaller you decide since Snarks will not harm thee.

Both however do make a very tasty quarry,

but care must be taken or you may be sorry.

While all Snarks are gentle, crispy is their meat,

but Boojums are more volatile. You they want to eat.’”

“That’s wildly unsettling,” said Maressa. “But… Bootleg said the White Queen has a Snark, right? That means it shouldn’t be too difficult to fight it.”

“What if he’s mistaken?” asked Jung.

“I’m with Jung on this one,” said Sid. “I mean, why would the White Queen terrorise everyone with a docile Snark? By the sounds of things, they can be pretty easy to confuse.”

“What makes you say that?” asked Maressa.

“It says here.” Sid pointed a claw at the page.

“’While indistinguishable in all but deed some have feathers and scratch,

while others have whiskers and powerful jaws that rival the Bandersnatch.

Common Snarks do no manner of harm but I feel it my duty to say,

some are Boojums and should you encounter one you will be whisked away.

Few have ever seen a Snark, or a Boojum for that matter.

To encounter one could send you as loopy as a Hatter.

To tame a Snark is simple, but for Boojum one needs to find,

A Pendulum of Twisty Time for it to leave behind,

Its madness and hostility to the hunter fair,

Before the Boojum whisks them off towards its misty lair.’”

A brief silence washed over them, save for the snuffles of the Finder Pig and Peter.

Jung broke it as he cleared his throat. “Well, it sounds like a rather risky meal.”

“Yeah,” said Peter from the kitchen. “It sounds like we’d be better off with a Vorpal Blade or something.”

The Duchess snapped her fingers and motioned for the rockruff to keep silent and continue searching. Peter muttered an apology and returned to nosing around the fireplace.

Jung made a thoughtful noise as he looked back at Sid. “Well, at least we now have some idea of what we’re doing.”

“I just hope everyone else has worked out what to find,” said Maressa.

“Me too.” Sid pulled a notebook and quill from his bag. “But just in case, I’ll make notes.”

Jung straightened and glanced back at the kitchen where Peter was standing on his hind legs to peer into the steaming pot of soup. “With Peter searching and Sid making notes, I think we aught to make ourselves useful, too.”

Maressa nodded. “But how? Have you heard the phrase ‘too many cooks’?”

“Too many cooks spoil the soup!” shouted Duchess from the kitchen, just before tossing a ladle at the door.

Jung stared mournfully at the mess of soup pans, cutlery and crockery. “I suppose I could help by tidying up a little? I hope you don’t mind, Maressa?”

He placed the horsea behind the sofa, hoping she’d be safe from any flying utensils, and began gathering up everything he could find.

Maressa leant on the rim of her goldfish bowl and sighed. “Oh, if only this thing had legs?”

The Finder Big shuffled past her, reached under a rug and pulled out a truffle. It then went on its way, flipping over books and snuffling behind a towering bookcase covered from top to bottom in soup stains.

“It really is pretty useless, isn’t it?” Maressa said to no one in particular.

Something glittered from beneath the sofa fringe, drawing her eye. Using her fins, she pulled herself a little further over the rim to peer at it. Whatever it was blinked before vanishing into the darkness. She let out a confused ‘hmm?’ before leaning closer. Her nose began to itch and she let out a violent sneeze, sending her back into the water.

Peter’s head jerked towards her and he stopped with one paw raised. “A sneeze! A blatant cause of pepper!”

Maressa stared mournfully at the back of the sofa which now sported a large blob of ink dribbling over the patchwork cover. “Oh I am so sorry. It was rather inky. I hope it doesn’t stain.”

“Not a moment too soon!” Sid appeared beside her and dipped his quill into it. “I’d just ran out.”

Peter appeared on her other side and sniffed at the sofa fringe. His head jolted back as he sneezed, and he wiped a paw across his snout.

“That’s pepper, all right!” he exclaimed. “Who’d have thought it would have rolled beneath the sofa?”

Jung and Duchess joined them, and all five crouched to peer beneath the fringe.

“I can’t see anything,” said Jung. “Does anyone here know flash?”

Duchess snapped her fingers. “Finder Pig! Light this up!”

The quadruped drowzee plodded over and poked his snout beneath the sofa. The end lit up like a torch, illuminating a huge pile of dust bunnies and hundreds of scurrying creatures.

One lunged towards them and stabbed Peter in the nose. He recoiled with a yelp and clasped both paws over it.

“That is some violent pepper!” He cried, eyes watering. “Oh, my poor snoot!”

Frantic chattering filled the air as the tiny creature stood just beyond the fringe. A pawniard only two inches tall waved its bladed paws, leaping up and down as it glared at them. Either it was speaking another language, or it was just talking too fast for anyone to understand, for they all stared at it at a loss for words.

“Can you understand any of this?” Sid asked Jung.

The hypno shrugged.

“I think it’s trying to tell us something,” said Maressa. “Perhaps it’s upset we invaded its privacy?”

Duchess stood and narrowed her eyes at the tiny pawniard. “Oh you naughty house vermin! Return my pepper at once!”

This only served to anger the pawniard. Its cries became more frantic and it leapt back and forth, waving a paw towards the darkness.

Peter grabbed the Finder Pig’s snout in both paws and aimed it towards where the pawniard was pointing. His eyes widened as it revealed a large group of tiny pawniard all sat huddled around the smallest fireplace ever. Amongst them was an even smaller pawniard lying in a bed of dust bunnies. Over the fire bubbled a vat of soup, and beside it was a porcelain cylinder lying on its side. It was sculpted to resemble a cat with a very wide grin.

“Hey, Duchess?” said Peter. “Does your pepper dispenser look like a grinning persian?”

“Yes! Yes it does!” Duchess dropped down beside him and reached her paw beneath the sofa. She swiftly redrew it with a yell and stuck a claw in her mouth. “Well don’t just sit there, Detective! Get it!”

Peter stared sadly at the pawniard. The one who had done the stabbing slowly moved backwards towards the vat of soup. The small one in its bed let out a feeble cough, and what Peter guessed was its mother dabbed her eyes with the tiniest handkerchief.

“I think they need it,” said Peter. “Does pepper cure a cold?”

“Of course it does,” said Duchess. “Pepper fixes everything!”

“One of them is sick!” Maressa let out a sad sigh and looked up at Duchess. “Can’t we at least leave them some?”

Duchess’ face turned crimson and she turned to lash verbally at Maressa. But the gardevoir’s eyes landed on Peter. The rockruff stared up at her with the largest puppy-dog eyes he could muster. And beside him, the Finder Pig wore the same expression.

Duchess let out a long breath, returning to her usual white and green, and smoothed out her skirt. “Oh, fine. I’ll leave them some pepper. But next time, if they need anything, they ask!”

“Woohoo!” Peter dropped to peer beneath the sofa again. “You hear that? Duchess says she’ll help you! But you need to ask in future, right?”

The lead pawniard’s eyes widened and he shuffled his blades together, looking between the pepper and Duchess.

“Please can we have it back?” Peter asked. “We’ll leave you as much as you need, okay?”

The pawniard hesitated for a moment, then nodded. He rolled the grinning cat towards Peter and the rockruff scooped it up.

“Do you have an egg cup?” he asked Duchess.

The gardevoir trotted to the kitchen to retrieve one, also resembling a grinning persian. Peter emptied half of the pepper into it then screwed the bottom back on.

“This should leave us enough for the Snark,” he said.

“But what about me?” asked Duchess. “I need it for my soup!”

Peter’s ears drooped and he exchanged glances with his team-mates. “Oh. Oops…”

Duchess dragged a paw down her face and let out a long groan. “Okay. I’ll make a deal with you. I am sick of this endless winter, and this constant need for a warming soup to stave off those wretched colds. If you let me season my soup, I shall let you take that pepper!”

A huge grin spread across Peter’s face and he opened his mouth to thank her.

“But!” Duchess raised a claw to cut him off. “You must defeat that Snark before my soup runs out! Understood?”

The group exchanged glances again and Jung stooped to collect Maressa.

“I think we can manage that,” he said. “We all need to get back to our own homes soon, anyway.”

“Yes, we don’t wish to be stuck here forever,” said Maressa.

“One Snark defeated as requested,” said Sid. “Thank you so much, Duchess.”

Peter’s tail turned into a blur behind him and he puffed out his chest. “Exactly what I was thinking! Consider it done, Duchess!”

The gardevoir emptied a small amount of pepper into her paw. She then handed Jung the grinning cat and stood back beside the Finder Pig. It had managed to find an entire tin of biscuits somewhere.

“Very well,” she said. “Thank you for your help, Detective Peter. Now, be on your way.”

The group saluted and made for the door, stepping out once again into the freezing cold.

“Managed to find the pepper, huh?”

The voice came from the bushes, but rather than the froakie who had previously occupied it, Bootleg reclined just above it. He was decked out in a butler’s suit, sipping a hot tea.

“You knew about the pepper?” Peter asked.

“I think ‘what are you doing here?’ is the more appropriate question,” said Sid.

Bootleg chuckled and tucked both paws behind his head. “Now that is a secret.”

Jung sighed and rubbed his nose. “Now we have the pepper, we need to rejoin everyone else. Do you know where they are?”

“Oh, I can do better than that.” Bootleg righted himself in the air and spread his arms. “I can take you to them!”

Maressa almost leapt from her bowl. “Great! I… I hope it’s warm there?”

“It will be soon if the last group has found their item.” Bootleg grinned and opened one violet eye. “This is turning out to be quite fun, isn’t it?”

...​

“Go on, open it,” said Shirlee.

“No, you open it!” Shimmer replied.

The kirlia stood facing a large tree with her team-mates Shirlee, Grog and Coco. A tree wasn’t out of place in the snowy forest, but what was out of place was the ornamental door set in the hefty, knotted trunk. The path they’d been following had ended quite abruptly at this door, which looked like it hadn’t been touched in years. A frozen cobweb hung just beneath the arch above it, frosted with frozen dew and a dusting of snow. The lone doorknob wore its own coating of frost that shimmered in the low light.

“Is anyone going to open it?” Shirlee asked.

“Yes,” said Shimmer. “You.”

“Why not you?” Shirlee argued. “At least you have fur to protect you. If I touch that doorknob, my tentacle might end up with a severe case of frostbite. Goodness, if I lost it I could never attend my next photo shoot!”

“Urgh!” Shimmer ran her paws over her face. “Then use ‘psychic’ or something?”

“You can do that too, you know!”

Grog stood aside with his arms folded, grinning at the two girls. Coco shuffled beside him, dragging her clawed feet through the snow.

“I’m going to bite them,” she said. “Can I bite them?”

“Nah, leave it a little longer,” he said.

The two girls rounded on him and both pointed dramatically. “You!”

“Me?” Grog pointed a finger at his chest.

“Yes,” said Shimmer. “You’ve not offered at all yet.”

“I actually did,” he said. “But neither of you listened.”

Shirlee’s tentacles drooped and Shimmer let out a small ‘oh.’

The kirlia smoothed out one of her hair grips and shifted her gaze. “I may have been thinking about Toshi at the time.”

Shirlee rolled her eyes. “Will you ever shut up about him?”

“Well!” Grog closed his eyes and puffed out his chest. “If you want a valiant male to open the door, then just ask. Nicely.”

“I thought you’d offered?” said Shirlee.

“That didn’t sound like a polite request.”

“Urgh, we’re not going to get anywhere at this rate,” said Shimmer. “Can’t we just work-”

At that moment, Coco dashed towards the door and grabbed the frozen doorknob in her teeth. She shook it wildly, causing the very branches of the tree to sway. Icicles and clods of snow rained down around them, and the two girls covered their heads and ducked. A sick crunch came from the door, and the rustling abruptly stopped.

When they finally looked up, now safe from falling ice, Coco grinned at them from the base of the tree. The door was wide open, its brass knob lying at the tyrunt’s feet.

“Well!” Shimmer dusted the snow off her skirt and rose to her feet. “I guess it wasn’t that cold? It clearly didn’t hurt Coco.”

“Ice is good for sore gums,” said Coco happily.

Grog pointed towards the open door and marched on ahead, tucking his paws behind his head. The three girls fell in step behind him, with Shimmer closing up the rear. She cast a wary glance back at the door as the light dwindled away behind them. Snow whipped up around it, following them along a chilling breeze. She hugged her arms around herself and trotted to keep up with her teammates.

A loud slam froze them all to the spot and they jerked around to face the entrance. The door had slammed shut, blocking out the light and cold.

“W-was that the wind?” Grog stuttered.

“It can’t have been,” said Shimmer. “It opened inward, like any other door.”

“Then maybe it was you,” said Shirlee. “Playing pranks, trying to scare us.”

“This coming from an inkay?” Shimmer scoffed.

“Excuse me?!”

“Girls!” Grog raised his paws then let out a sigh. “Come on. Let’s just… either go back, or… yanno… move on?”

“Go back where?” Shimmer asked. “The path lead here.”

“Then move on.” He turned to lead them away. “I never thought there’d come a day when I’d be the brains of the operation.”

“Excuse me?” Shirlee scolded.

“Did I say brains?” Grog chuckled and looked back. “I meant gravy. I mean… ‘bravery’.” He flinched at the scolding glares from Shirlee and Shimmer. “Okay… erm… I’m moving on. So… if you don’t wanna be left alone here, I suggest you get a wiggle on.” He picked up his pace and trotted on ahead of them into the shadows.

“Great.” Shimmer rubbed her paws together. “Has it suddenly got a lot colder, or is it my imagination?”

“I hope it’s your imagination,” said Shirlee.

Coco looked up at Shirlee and Shimmer and raised her head. “Don’t worry, you’re safe with me. I’m not scared of anything. I’m a big, brave dinosaur.”

The two girls smiled at the tyrunt, and Shimmer placed a paw on her shoulder.

“That’s very reassuring, thank you, Coco,” said Shimmer. “Let’s go catch up with-”

A loud yell came from ahead of them and they all looked up with a start.

“Grog!” they gasped.

They took off towards him at a breakneck speed. The tunnel wound downward, getting darker and darker. Shimmer soon raced ahead of her allies, straining to see ahead of her. She shouted for the toxicroak, getting no reply. Her paw struck something wet and slippery, and shot out from beneath her. She landed on her bottom, sliding down a steep slope. A squeal left her throat and she groped behind her.

Coco grabbed her by the back of her skirt, slowing her descent for a moment before the tyrunt also lost her footing. The pair were brought to a halt by a psychic bubble, and the glow from it lit up their surroundings with a dim purple hue.

Shimmer and Coco hovered over a steep drop into a hole that, in such dim light, appeared bottomless. The kirlia’s heart galloped, and she placed a paw to her chest as she looked back at Shirlee. The inkay strained to hold the pair, her tentacles raised above her head.

“Thank you,” Shimmer gasped. She turned back to the drop. “Grog?! Can you hear me?!”

Her voice echoed around the cavern and she clasped her paws together.

“We go down the hole,” said Coco. She flailed against the psychic bubble. “I’ll find him.”

“No.” Shimmer placed a paw on her back and looked at Shirlee again. “We should all go. If I join my psychic with yours, we can all float down there. Okay?”

“Sounds like a plan.” Shirlee wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead. “But we’d better prepare for the worst.”

Shimmer shuddered. “You think he’s hurt?”

“No, I’m talking about all the mud!” Shirlee waved a tentacle at the drop. “Look at your fur!”

Shimmer looked down at her soiled skirt now sporting a thick layer of mud and chuckled. “Oh well. I’ve suffered worse. Let’s go.”

She unleashed her own psychic and the trio slowly descended the slope. It gradually became less steep, twisting like a mud slide. Deep grooves spread across the ground and walls where someone had desperately tried to slow themselves down to no avail. At the end it came to a steep, sudden drop. The two psychic-types released their bubbles and they dropped onto a bed of leaves. Light filled the area from a chandelier set high in the ceiling. The floor was a checker-board of black and white tiles, expanding out ahead of them into a narrow corridor, which ended at a red curtain.

Grog poked his head out of the leaves beside them with a groan and rubbed his head. “Where are we?”

“Oh, you’re all right,” said Shimmer. “Thank goodness.”

Grog grinned at her. “Aww! You were worried about me?”

Shimmer flushed and looked away. “Well we are on the same team, and if anything happened to you we’d be one down, and well…”

“Yeah, she was worried,” said Shirlee. “So what? Did you fall unconscious or something?”

“No, I hid in these leaves until you arrived,” said Grog. “Coco just landed on my head, that’s all.”

“Soft landing,” said Coco.

Shimmer let out a snort and covered her nose with a paw. The joke appeared to have gone over both Coco’s and Grog’s heads, as the pair stood up to investigate their new surroundings.

“Are we underground?” Grog asked.

“I think so,” said Shimmer. “It looks like some huge underground ruin, hidden for many years by some ancient civilisation.”

“Or a secret base,” said Shirlee. “I wonder if there are any ghost-types down here?”

The sound of footsteps echoed from ahead of them, and the four pokemon stiffened. They sounded like they were getting closer, and Grog took a step back.

“You just had to mention ghost-types,” he muttered.

Coco took a step forward and positioned herself in front of her friends. She lowered her head and let out an intimidating growl… which sounded more like a kitten’s purr, but no one said anything.

They stood trembling as the hidden footsteps grew closer and closer. The red curtain rustled and was whipped aside as something slipped into the corridor. Not a ghost-type, but a raboot.

The team of four let out the breaths they’d been holding, and Coco stood up straight, although still defensive.

The raboot looked them up and down and stuffed his paws in his furry pocket. “What are you lot doing here?”

“We could ask you the same question,” said Shimmer. “This is a ruin, isn’t it?”

“No, this is-” The raboot cut himself off and waved a paw. “Whatever, it doesn’t matter. You shouldn’t be here.”

“Why not?” asked Grog.

Shirlee jabbed him in the side with a tentacle and he grunted and doubled over.

“Because she put me here,” said the raboot.

The four were silent for a moment, and the raboot took a step forwards.

“If you’re here for the pendulum,” he said with a warning note to his voice, “then I’m going to have to stop you.”

“Wait.” Shimmer raised her paws. “Let’s just be serious for a moment, okay? Who put you here?”

“The White Queen,” he said. “I am Sir Valiant Heart, the White Queen’s most loyal soldier. And it’s pretty clear the only reason you’re here is to take the pendulum.”

Shirlee threw her tentacles in the air. “What pendulum?!”

“The Pendulum of Twisty Time!”

Silence fell over them again, and Shimmer let out another snort.

“Pardon?” she laughed.

“Don’t pretend you don’t know what it is.” Valiant Heart strolled towards them, not removing his paws from his pocket. “Everyone knows it’s a key weapon in defeating the Snark.”

Shimmer’s eyes widened.

“Oh.” Grog stood up straight and folded his paws. “Then I guess that is what we’ve come here for, huh?”

Shimmer closed her eyes in a sigh, and Shirlee covered her face with a tentacle. “Grog!”

“What?” he asked innocently.

“I knew it!” Valiant Heart placed one foot behind the other. “Then I have no other choice but to stop you!”

He whipped his paw from his pocket, and a huge gold chain followed. A pocket watch that was much too big to fit in anyone’s pocket hung from the end of it, and he waved it over his head in an arc.

“Tick-tock-time-stop!” he shouted.

Shimmer blinked, and the raboot vanished before their eyes. “Wait… where did he go?”

Footsteps faded away into the distance, and the red curtain shuffled slightly.

Grog pointed a claw. “After him!”

The group took off down the corridor towards the red curtain. Grog was first, and he whipped it aside to reveal a large room with a lone glass table in its centre. They rushed inside, looking in all directions.

“You have now entered my domain!” came Valiant Heart’s voice. “I will show you what happens to those who get in Her Majesty’s way!”

The room warped and twisted around them. The tiles separated like pieces of a jigsaw, rising up into platforms that floated in a void of black. The walls broke apart, revealing stairs that curled up towards a large circular platform. Valiant Heart stood upon it, clutching the pocket watch in his paws. It swung back and forth like a pendulum, and its ticking echoed around them like a mechanical heartbeat.

“No one can defeat the Pendulum of Twisty Time!” he said. “You will be trapped in the Time Vortex forever!”

He swung it again in a circle, and the platforms jerked into motion, sending the four pokemon onto their bottoms. The floating tiles rotated upwards like a ferris wheel, not quite reaching Valiant Heart’s platform.

Shimmer pushed herself to her feet and looked around, pacing back and forth between her allies. Coco perched on the edge of the platform, steadying herself with her fore-claws as she peered into the blackness. Grog sat cross-legged with his head on one paw, deep in thought, while Shirlee hovered beside him.

“Any ideas?” Shimmer asked.

Shirlee pointed a tentacle towards the raboot. “I could totally float up there, but I can’t carry all three of you.”

“Then we’re at a loss, because I can’t levitate,” she said. “And what’s to stop him shooting us down?”

“Box.”

It was Coco who’d spoke. They all looked towards her, and she pointed a claw.

“On the table. Look.”

They joined the tyrunt and peered over the edge. Right at the centre of the rotating platforms was the glass table. Sitting on top of it was a golden box with the words ‘Open Me’ written on it in an elegant cursive font.

“Seems suspicious,” said Shirlee.

“I want to open it,” said Grog.

“I think that’s the point,” Shirlee scoffed.

“I think I can reach it.” Shimmer closed her eyes. “I’ll draw it towards me. Keep an eye on our hostile friend.”

“Are you serious?” Shirlee gasped. “It might be a trap!”

“It also might not,” said Shimmer. “Remain vigilant. I need your help here.”

Feeling out ahead of her, Shimmer found the golden box with her psychic. It fastened around it in a purple bubble and lifted it clean from the table. As the platform moved around, the box trailed behind them like a flag. It took every ounce of focus Shimmer had to not lose it into the void.

“Oh no you don’t!” Valiant Heart roared.

The pendulum swung in the opposite direction, breaking up the platforms from their wheel formation. The group’s platform slid through the air away from Valiant Heart and the glass table. Shimmer’s eyes snapped open, fixing on the golden box. Her eyes glowed purple as she fought to stop it from falling. The box shuddered as her psychic bubble flickered in and out of existence.

Shirlee appeared beside her, joining the kirlia’s psychic with her own. The inkay steadied the box and together they reeled it towards them.

Valiant Heart roared with fury and the platform shot upwards like a rocket. The box swung beneath them, and the psychic duo leant forwards to keep it in their sights.

Grog doubled over as his stomach lurched, and he staggered towards the opposite edge of the platform to eject his lunch.

Coco stomped her feet in frustration and she turned her wild eyes towards the raboot. The tyrunt raised her paws and roared a primal roar that sent a chill through the spines of her team-mates. The platform screeched to a halt, almost sending Grog over the edge.

Shimmer caught her breath and reached down, bringing the box towards her paws. She grabbed it and rolled away from the edge onto her back. She then turned to look at the tyrunt who was doing some kind of dinosaur victory dance in the centre of the platform.

“How did you do that?” Shimmer gasped.

“Tiles were once rocks,” said Coco. “Rock-types can control rocks!”

“And you do indeed rock!” said Shirlee. “We should team up for my next album.”

Coco wagged her tail and sat down, catching her breath.

“Thank you, both of you,” said Shimmer, sitting back on her paws. She let out a sigh and wiped her paw over her forehead.

“So what’s in it?” Grog asked, plopping down beside the kirlia.

“I guess we’re about to find out.” Shimmer tugged at the lid, but it wouldn’t budge. She let out a small groan. “It’s jammed, and I’m too exhausted from trying to reach the thing.”

“Allow me!” Grog took it and struck it with a sharp karate chop. He yelped and stuck his paw into his mouth, staring at the box which was completely unharmed.

Shirlee took it from him in a tentacle and engulfed it in a purple haze. The lid popped open with seemingly little effort. The inkay set it down before them and drifted back.

“There,” she said.

They all peered inside and each one raised an eyebrow.

“A key?” said Shimmer. “What use is a key?”

A ‘ding-dong!’ reached their ears and they looked to the left. A platform drifted by, hovering perpendicular to theirs, and set in its middle was a lone door complete with keyhole.

Shirlee pointed a tentacle. “I guess for that?”

“And this is where I get my ‘Knight in Shining Armour’ badge!” Grog swiped the key and stood up. “Be right back, girlies!”

The toxicroak skipped across their platform and kicked off towards the door. However, he’d totally miscalculated, missing the platform by about a foot.

“Grog!” Shimmer squeaked, throwing her paws in front of her face. “Coco, do your thing! Please!”

The little dinosaur threw her head back and roared. The door shot across like a sliding screen, blocking the toxicroak’s path. He stretched out a paw with a huge grin on his face, reaching for the doorknob. However, the strange dimension broke every law of gravity and he landed face down against the door. When he stood up, his feet were flat on the vertical platform, and he looked back at the girls with some confusion.

Shaking his head, he crouched to stick the key in the lock. The door swung open away from him, and he let out a small gasp. He was looking down on Valiant Heart’s head.

Looking back at the girls again, he said, “You might wanna come over here.”

Shirlee drifted forwards and faltered, looking back at Shimmer and Coco. “Erm… how are we going to do this?”

Shimmer took a few deep breaths and pushed herself up. “I’m still completely exhausted from grabbing that box. I can’t carry Coco and myself.”

“And I can’t carry both of you-”

Coco let out a huge, primal roar, and several of the closest platforms gathered in formation at the edge of where they were standing. They formed a bridge towards Grog, each platform bobbing and swaying gently. The tyrunt marched towards it, plodding across with an air of childlike nonchalance.

Shimmer rubbed at one of her hair grips. “Well, I guess that solves that problem.”

Shirlee shoved her forwards. “Get a move on, before Valiant Heart notices!”

“Oh, I’ve noticed,” came the raboot’s voice. “And I am not happy.”

A deep ticking noise filled the blackness, and the checker-board steps surrounding him separated into individual tiles. Each one folded itself into a small aeroplane and shot towards them like a dagger.

Shimmer squealed and ducked as one flew close to her head. A few strands of green fur fluttered into the air where the plane had snipped through them.

Shirlee threw up a barrier, and several of the planes crashed into it and crumpled, breaking away into powder. On Shimmer’s other side, Coco chomped at the air, catching one of the planes in her strong jaws.

“A little help here?!” Grog stood with his paws over his head, ducking an onslaught of vicious black and white aeroplanes.

Shimmer released a psychic blast, shattering the planes assailing Grog. The toxicroak squeaked and leapt back, tumbling through the open door.

“Sorry!” Shimmer called.

She grabbed Shirlee by the tentacle and took off towards the door. Coco leapt ahead of them, chomping at the air with amazing accuracy. Several of the planes were crushed in her teeth. The three girls ducked through the onslaught, wincing when the planes nicked at their hides. Shirlee kept up with her barriers, blocking a majority of them.

They finally reached the door, spotting Grog sprawled on the floor beside Valiant Heart. The toxicroak appeared dazed, his eyes fixed on the swinging pendulum.

“Well, I think it’s safe to say he’s distracted,” Shimmer muttered quietly.

She hopped through the door to land behind the raboot, with Shirlee close behind. The white rabbit jerked around to face them, his face contorting with rage.

“You-!”

He was cut short as Coco hopped through the door above him, landing hard on the raboot’s back. He crumpled beneath her, and the Pendulum of Twisty Time flew from his paw. The clock rolled on its side, swerving beneath the weight of its chain.

Shirlee and Shimmer rushed towards it, desperate to reach it before it tumbled over the edge of the platform. They both leapt forwards, paws and tentacles stretched out. The clock teetered on the very edge before vanishing over it.

“No!” The girls landed on their stomachs, claws falling short of the watch.

Then it came to a sudden stop.

They looked back to see Grog on his feet with the thick chain clasped in both paws. He flashed them a boyish grin and began reeling the watch in like a fishing line.

The two girls let out a long sigh and flopped forwards onto the black and white floor.

“Congratulations!”

The voice had an air of snark about it.

They all looked up to find Bootleg sat on one of the smaller platforms above them. He swung his legs back and forth while beaming down at the unconscious raboot, still flattened beneath Coco’s prehistoric bottom.

“I never expected any of you to actually encounter the White Queen’s soldiers,” said Bootleg, “let alone Valiant Heart!”

“He wasn’t exactly a pushover either,” said Shirlee, casting a glance at Coco. “If it weren’t for Coco’s timing we might have been a lot worse off.”

Coco flashed her teeth in a huge grin.

Bootleg returned it with a smile, keeping his eyes closed. “It looks like you got the Pendulum of Twisty Time at least.”

Grog had finally retrieved the pocket watch and tucked it under his arm. “This is what we wanted? Great!” He paused. “So… how do we get out of here?”

“Usually Giratina might play a part in that,” said Bootleg. “But he’s hibernating, so I guess it’s up to me!” He raised a paw to snap his claws. “Brace yourselves. You may experience some motion sickness.”

...​

The snow-covered courtyard seemed to stretch on for miles on all sides, ending in what were once glorious orchards and gardens. Now they were buried beneath freezing snow, branches weighed down by icicles that resembled a tangle of thorns. The cobbled ground was frozen and cracked, with spindly plants jutting up from beneath them with the goal to survive the weather. Instead they’d met a frozen fate, their powder coating of frost shimmering in the moonlight.

At the end of the courtyard stood a huge castle rising from the mist, its glassy walls illuminated by the moon. Its roof was white with snow, and snow-melt dangled in frozen spikes around its canopy. Its highest point sported two silver bells, hanging stiffly at odd angles as if their song had been lost to the seas of time.

“Here we are.” Bootleg drifted over the group of pokemon now gathered in the centre of the courtyard. Every party had been delivered seemingly at the same time. “The White Queen’s castle.”

Sid shuddered and rubbed his arms. “Even looking at it makes you feel cold.”

Shimmer cast him a sideways look from her spot between him and Ruby. “What do you have to be concerned about? You’re a fire-type.”

“Exactly.”

“It is pretty chilly,” said Maressa, huddling near the rim of her bowl. “My water is starting to freeze.”

Jung poked at the surface of the water, breaking apart a thin layer of ice that had begun to form in its middle. He then looked up at Bootleg. “We should get this done quickly, before all of us freeze in this place.”

“My sentiments exactly.” Bootleg pushed himself from his reclined position and flicked his tail. “But the Snark is our one hurdle between us and the White Queen. As soon as we cross the invisible line separating us from the castle, it will appear.”

Grog looked up and down the courtyard with a puzzled expression on his face. “What invisible line?”

“I believe it is meant to be a metaphor,” Gil explained. “Or perhaps a trip-wire that one is not meant to see.”

“Used trip-wires in my farm once.” Totta nodded and shrugged her wings. “Had to keep out some tater thieves.”

“Then we should brace ourselves,” said Rob, lowering his nose to the floor. “Come on, let’s beat this thing and end this eternal winter.”

The rest of the group cheered - quietly - and advanced forwards. Bootleg followed behind them, a small smirk appearing on his face.

After several steps, a deep rumble shuddered through the air. The pokemon froze to the spot, staring towards the castle with wide eyes.

Swift, perched atop Gil’s head, fluffed his feathers. “Was that-?”

“Thunder?” Grog offered. “Probably.”

The rumble came again, louder this time. A huge shadow leapt from the mist and shot up the side of the castle, and a flash lit up the courtyard. It hit the ground right before the group of pokemon, showering them in an explosion of sparks. They raised their arms to protect themselves, then peered over them at the huge beast crouching before them. A huge, slender creature covered in frosty blue feathers. A long, whip-like tail swished back and forth behind it, flicking up the snow. Its head was immense, and too many teeth to count were bared in a huge maw. Its whiskers twitched as it glared at them through four red eyes, and low growl rose in its throat. Sharp claws dug into the snow cracking the cobbled stones.

A small chuckle came from the mew hovering above them. “Behold!” He gave an elaborate wave of a paw, “The Snark.”

Gil scratched their head with a puzzled ‘huh’. “Mister Hat Man told us Snarks and Boojums can be told apart by ‘those that have feathers and bite, and those that have claws and scratch.’ But this has all of those things.”

The beast’s eyes flashed and it opened its jaw impossibly wide, letting out a panther-like scream.

“Forget what it looks like!” Ruby roared, flames flaring to life. “Fight!”

The Snark pounced, moving like greased lightning, its eyes leaving trails of red in the misty air. Ruby’s flamethrower narrowly missed it, sputtering out as snow buffeted the cyndaquil head on. The group of pokemon scattered, skidding over the frozen ground or zipping through the air on wings. Shimmer and Shirlee remained behind, throwing up psychic barriers between them and the Snark. The huge beast lunged at them, shattering the barriers like glass. Shimmer and Shirlee leapt apart without a second thought, each receiving a sharp thrash from its whip-like tail. It landed amid Coco, Grog and Sid who had very little time to prepare. Instead, they bolted, readying their counterattacks.

The Snark turned with phenomenal agility and pounced again, lashing out with its claws. Flames, poison and rocks bounced harmlessly off its frosty fur before the attacks were cut short with heaps of ice. Its feline yowls filled the air, its hot breath misting through the gently falling snow. It fixed its eyes on two of the pokemon dashing away from it towards the castle.

Peter ran too fast for his stumpy legs to deal with, almost tumbling over Sid’s blazing tail. “Pepper! Pepper! Pepper! Use the pepper!”

“Right! Good idea!” Sid reached into his bag and twisted, tossing a paw-full of pepper at the oncoming Snark’s face.

The creature shook its head violently, skidding to a halt. A huge sneeze shook it’s body, and the blast of air sent the rockruff and quilava rolling tail over head away from it. Sid’s flames sizzled in the snow as he quickly righted himself. His rump flared as he braced for retaliation from the Snark. Its red eyes glared in the darkness, leaving trails of light like comet tails with every movement.

“Erm.” Peter took a step back. “What do we do now? That thing you read, about the items we need.”

“Yoo-hoo!” Grog whistled and waved a paw, drawing the Snark’s eye. The toxicroak stood a few feet away, swinging the Pendulum of Twisty Time like a mace.

“That’s the Pendulum of Twisty Time!” Sid cried, pointing a claw. “That poem said it’s needed to tame it! So it calms it from its madness and hostility!”

Grog didn’t appear to be listening. He danced from foot to foot and curled a finger at the Snark.

“You want some of this?” Grog taunted. “Bring it!”

The Snark jerked its head towards him and, with an ear-splitting yowl, lunged at him. Snow erupted where Grog had been standing, and the creature raised a paw to check beneath it. But there was no sign of Grog. Its muzzle creased with confusion and it looked up. The oversized pocket watch arced down towards its head, smacking it square between its pointed ears. A pink tongue poked from between its lips and it raised a paw to nurse the bump forming on its head.

“Take that, sucker!” Grog landed beside it and twirled the watch in the air. “And that is how it’s done.”

The Snark snarled and twisted on the spot, tripping Grog with its slender tail. The toxicroak hit the snow with a yelp, sending the watch into the air.

Jung dived to grab it, catching it in his free paw while Maressa was cradled carefully in the other.

“You’re doing it wrong,” he told Grog. With a sigh he turned to face the Snark. “I’m not happy about this, beast, but… needs must.”

The hypno held the huge watch out on its chain and swung it gently from side to side. The Snark froze with one paw in the air, watching the pendulum transfixed.

“You are nothing more than a kitten,” said Jung softly.

A growl died in the Snark’s throat, manifesting as a strange, strangled purr.

“I think it’s working,” Maressa whispered.

The Snark shook it’s head sharply and it’s eyes flashed. It lashed at the watch with a paw, its claws cleaving through the snow and showering Jung in the process. The Pendulum of Twisty Time soared into the air to land in a snowdrift several feet away.

“Yow!” Totta shot from inside it and curled her tail around herself. “That was close!” The Snark spotted her and she stiffened. “Yeek!” The dunsparce vanished back beneath the snow, trailing her long scarf behind her.

Minerva stood only a little way away from where Totta had vanished. Ruby skittered about before her, looking for any sign the Snark would lower its guard to, as Ruby had worded it, ‘receive a flamethrower to the face’.

“I don’t think normal attacks are gonna work on this, Rubes,” Minerva told her. “I mean, Bootleg sent us to get those items for a reason, right? So maybe we’re meant to use the mushroom slices to fight it?”

“Yeah, well I don’t trust him anymore!” Ruby stomped her feet like an angry skunk and made her flames blaze. “All he’s doing is floating around and watching us. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in control of that Snark.”

Totta poked her head from the ground. “What if he is a Snark?”

“Huh?” Ruby and Minerva stared at the dunsparce.

“What are ya gettin’ at, Farm Girl?” Minerva scoffed.

“Well we don’t know what a Snark looks like. Or a mew, apparently. What did he say earlier? ‘Have any of you even seen a mew’? He could be messing with us! And I’ve heard things ‘bout Snarks and Boojums. What if we have both of them right here, right now, and we need to beat them both?”

Her two friends blinked, both lost for words.

Totta gave a single nod. “Just something to think about.” With that, she vanished back beneath the snow.

“You don’t think she’s right, do you?” Ruby asked.

Minerva stuttered for a moment. “Of course not.” She looked up towards Bootleg, reclining in the air as he watched the battle unfold beneath him. “He might just not be able to win this fight.”

Ruby unleashed a flamethrower as the Snark charged, causing it to re-think its footing. She leapt aside, knocking Minerva into the snow as the huge beast soared over them. Its feline yowls echoed through the courtyard and it turned back towards them. Coco leapt up behind it with a triumphant tiny roar, snapping her jaws at its tail. Whether or not it noticed, its long tail whipped to the side, bowling the tyrunt hatchling across the courtyard. With another yowl, the Snark leapt at Ruby and her friends, jaws gaping. Totta erupted from the snow with a ‘tah-dah!’ and a flick of the tail, tossing a small piece of mushroom into its throat. The beast snapped its jaws shut and landed in a sprawl beside them. It choked and spluttered, and its body trembled. The three pokemon sat back and watched, Ruby and Minerva both dumbfounded. The rest of their allies came to a stop, and a silence washed over the courtyard. Swift and Zyzir fluttered in the air, the pair of them carrying the huge teapot cannon. A fine trail of tea carved an intricate pattern over the snow where they’d been trying to douse the Snark.

The Snark choked, clawing at its throat. Then, with a violent shudder, it began to shrink.

Slowly at first, then more rapidly.

Its claws dragged deep rivets through the snow and a deep growl vibrated from the Snark’s chest. A quarter smaller. Then a third. Its transformation began to slow, coming to a stop at half its original size.

“Is that it?” Minerva asked, placing her paws on her hips.

“I’d say he’s more manageable this way,” said Totta. “Like a big, giant cat.”

The meowth nudged her with a foot-paw. “Oi.”

Bootleg made a thoughtful noise and drifted closer to them, his closed eyes fixed on the Snark. The four eyes of the Snark snapped open, and the pokemon took a step back. All except Bootleg.

“Not so big now, are you?” Bootleg crooned.

The Snark pushed itself to its feet, trembling with the effort. It gave Bootleg a sideways sneer.

“Are you going to back down?” Bootleg asked. “Or do I have to make you?”

The Snark opened its huge jaws and a loud yowl split the air. It lashed with its claws, narrowly skimming Bootleg as he vanished into thin air.

He reappeared behind it and folded his arms. “Well now, that was rude.”

The Snark lashed out again, and Bootleg vanished once more, appearing above it in a reclined position.

“Tut, tut,” he said. “An attitude like that is just going to land you in hot water.”

“Is that our cue?” Zyzir asked Swift.

The pair took off towards the Snark, tipping the teapot cannon carefully. A hot trail of steaming tea trailed through the snow. The Snark looked up just in time, its four eyes widening. It stepped back from the trail of perfumed tea, hissing at it as if it had done it a huge injustice.

“Earl Grey,” said Bootleg. “Nice strategy. It can deter the fiercest of Snarks.”

Swift and Zyzir exchanged glances as a new strategy formed. The flying pair changed course, swerving around the frosty creature. It watched them with a look of pure terror on its face. The hot, perfumed tea formed a circle around it, and before it realised what had happened it was trapped. It stared at the ground, shifting its weight from paw to paw as it gave a pitiful growl.

“Nice work!” Bootleg clapped his paws. “Now to finish it off! Give those items to me, please.”

The pokemon all looked to the mew. Swift and Zyzir began to fly towards him, while Minerva and her friends stood aside clutching the pieces of mushroom. Jung looked between the Pendulum of Twisty Time and the black and purple mew, while Sid was more than eager to relinquish the pepper.

“Go on,” Grog told the hypno. “Give him the watch.”

“I’m not sure,” said Jung.

“Yeah!” Minerva pointed a claw at Bootleg. “We don’t know who’s side yer on.”

Bootleg chuckled and opened a purple eye. “You can make your own decisions, Minerva. But if this Snark is going to be returned to her normal form, I need those items to do just that.”

Minerva dropped her claw, and her jaw.

“What do you mean?” Ruby asked, taking a step towards the mew.

“I mean,” Bootleg began slowly, “that I need to banish the Boojum.”

The pokemon blinked.

“Banish the what-now?” Grog asked.

“I’ve heard the word ‘Boojum’,” said Rob. “Back at that Hat Man’s place.”

Sid shuffled his paws in the snow as he stared at the now whimpering, icy beast. “Then… is this a Snark or a Boojum?”

“My dear friend, this is both!” Bootleg waved a paw at the Snark. “If you allow me to finish it off with those Boojum-slaying weapons, I can reveal to you exactly what I mean!”

“Slay it?!” Shimmer gasped.

“You can’t slay it!” Swift added, flapping his wings hard to keep the teapot aloft since Zyzir had just been distracted by a particularly sparkly snowflake. “It’s a living thing! Slaying it is downright cruel.”

“No offence, Pidge,” said Grog, “but that thing just tried to eat all of us.”

The Snark made a strange, pathetic grumble and huddled into the snow, keeping her tail as far away from the puddles of Earl Grey as possible.

Bootleg chuckled and tucked his paws behind his head. “I can assure you, friends, that no harm will come to the Snark. You just have to trust me.”

The pokemon exchanged silent glances. Each of them looked over the items they’d been sent to collect. Some shuffled their feet, others took a step back. A few apprehensive ‘uhms’ drifted into the air.

Jung let out a sigh and took a step forwards. He lifted the Pendulum of Twisty Time to the mew.

“Here,” he said. “If you can really be trusted, then I guess now is the time to find out.”

Bootleg took the watch by its chain. “Thank you, Jung.”

“Okay then.” Swift flapped his wings frantically, carrying the teapot to Bootleg. “Here is the Teapot Cannon.”

“And the pepper!” Peter tossed the pepper pot into the air.

Minerva and Ruby looked between the small pieces of mushroom and Bootleg.

“Should we?” Ruby asked. “I mean… I’m not so sure.”

“Oh give him the mushroom!” Totta batted them from their paws with her tail, sending a piece soaring towards the mew.

Minerva gasped and rounded on the dunsparce. “But you said-”

“He gave a valid argument,” said Totta. “Come on, anyone can be wrong, right? I mean, if I was right, y’all would still be dunsparce right now.”

Ruby and Minerva blinked a few times.

“I beg your pardon?” Minerva asked.

Totta gave her a wide, knowing grin and vanished back into the snow.

“Okay!” Bootleg spread his arms and the four items orbited around him. “It’s Morphing Time!”

The items began to glow, spinning more rapidly. The Teapot Cannon shot towards his body, fusing with it so the spout erupted from his chest. A pair of ghostly legs popped from the bottom, dripping with Earl Grey tea. Its lid perched atop the mew’s head like a tiny, ceramic hat. The pepper pot split into two, one red and one white. Each one fused to Bootleg’s arms. The Pendulum of Twisty Time’s chain rattled around Bootleg’s tail before locking itself in place, letting the watch swing beneath him like the pendulum of a grandfather clock.

Then, he began to grow. Larger and larger until he was towering over the trembling Snark. He opened his violet eyes, fixing the Snark in a fierce glare.

“Boojum?” He aimed a grin at the beast. “Consider yourself banished!”

The pendulum began to swing, and a deep ‘tick-tock’ echoed across the courtyard. The Snark’s eyes fixed on it, growing distant as her head gently followed the pendulum’s swing. A low purr rumbled in her throat as her expression became placid.

Bootleg aimed his pepper pots together and they lit up with red and white light. The teapot began to rumble, spewing perfumed steam.

The Snark’s nose twitched and she looked up at him and let out a tiny yelp, staggering backwards from the mew as far as she could in her Earl Grey prison.

“Boojum expelling pepper shot!”

The Teapot Cannon fired, spewing Earl Grey and pepper right at the Snark. It struck it head on in an explosion of grey dust and perfumed tea. The air was torn by a deafening, terrified howl. The castle shook, raining down jagged icicles into the courtyard. Snow billowed across it with the ferocity of a blizzard. The pokemon covered their ears, and Swift sheltered Gil with his wings from the blisteringly cold assault.

Then it subsided.

Bootleg hovered above them, now returned to his normal size. The Teapot Cannon, pepper pot and pocket watch lay on the ground beneath him in a pool of melting snow. Where the Snark had once been lay a small, lithe pokemon. Small in comparison to the Snark at least. Her white fur shimmered in the moonlight as it caressed her through a veil of frost.

Maressa leant over her bowl and squinted at the creature. “Wait… is that…?”

“A ninetales?” several other pokemon gasped.

“Allow me to introduce the White Queen.” Bootleg smiled and crossed one leg over the other. “How are you feeling now, Princess Winter?”

The ninetales lifted her head from the snow and coughed. “Bootleg?”

The mew flicked himself into the air and bowed.

The ninetales growled and swished her tails. “You know how much I hate pepper. And Earl Grey.”

“You were consumed by the Boojum,” he explained. “I had to cast it out somehow, didn’t I? I mean… you went so wild you froze your sister.”

Princess Winter’s eyes widened and she lifted a paw. “My sister? I… I did what?!”

“Hang on!” Grog strutted from the crowd, raising his paws to silence the pair. “What exactly is going on here? And where is this frozen princess who needs rescuing by a valiant prince? I know how fairy tales end, and I want to offer-”

Shirlee and Shimmer skittered towards him and the latter fastened her paws around his mouth, muffling him into silence. The two girls smiled at the princess and Shimmer cleared her throat.

“Please excuse him,” she said. “He can be a little… excitable.”

“Want me to chomp?” Coco asked from behind her.

“Not now, Coco,” said Shirlee. “Maybe later.”

“I do believe an explanation is in order, however,” said Gil. “If you’ll pardon my presumptions. We have just travelled to the four corners of this beautiful world to rescue the Red Queen and defeat the Snark. But it appears our quest isn’t quite over yet.”

“The Snark.” Princess Winter lowered her head. Her expression turned pained and she looked to the group of pokemon. “You went out of your way to help Bootleg stop me? I can’t thank you enough. You see… the Snark is the form I take when I cast winter upon this world. It is a normal routine you see, but so many pokemon can’t stand the cold. They go into hibernation, or cower indoors until the blizzard is over. I… I got consumed by jealousy! Everyone loves my sister’s spring and summer. They play outdoors, enjoying the warmth. It saddens me to see so many hide away from my winter. So… I lost it. I lost control of the Snark by letting my heated jealousy warp it into a Boojum! I was trapped…” She drifted off and shuddered, looking over her shoulder at the castle. “I remember it now. My sister is frozen in the palace.”

“Then we must free her,” said Bootleg. “Only you can do that, Princess Winter. Wake her so she can use the powers of the Red Queen so spring can blossom in this world again.”

“I shall.” Princess Winter nodded and gave the mew a fond smile. “Thank you for helping me to see sense, Bootleg.” She then smiled at the others. “Everyone. Thank you.”

With that, she bounded towards the castle and vanished inside.

“So the Boojum was her jealousy?” Jung asked, receiving a silent nod from Bootleg. “How very interesting. I shall make notes. This may come up as a metaphor in my psychiatric examinations.”

Bootleg chuckled. “You have my blessing.”

The castle door opened again and Princess Winter strolled out, head low. She was followed by another ninetales on wobbly legs. Her fur was damp, and gave off steam as her body quickly warmed. Her breath misted more in the air than her sister’s.

Bootleg drifted over to her and began talking in a hushed voice.

“A Kantonian ninetales,” said Jung. “Interesting.”

“A what?” Ruby asked.

“I beg my pardon, Kanto is a region where I am from,” Jung explained.

“Me too,” said Maressa. “Although I’m from Hoenn myself.”

“How interesting,” said Ruby.

Maressa waved a dismissive paw. “Yeah, I just know them as ‘fire ninetales’ and ‘ice ninetales’.”

Ruby chuckled. “Same.”

Bootleg looked up at them and cleared his voice. “Allow me to introduce you. This is Princess Summer.”

The fire ninetales lowered her head in a small bow. “Bootleg has told me everything. You’ve done so much for our kingdom. You’ve helped this world return to normal, helped my sister to expel her Boojum, and freed me from an eternal, frozen slumber. I cannot thank you all enough.”

“Heh!” Grog rubbed the back of his head. “You’re welcome, I guess?”

“I’ll be honest,” said Ruby, “there were times we weren’t exactly sure what we were doing. I mean, we weren’t sure if Bootleg was evil or not.”

“Me?” Bootleg pointed a claw at his chest and pouted, although it was blatantly not genuine. “I told you, you can trust me.”

Princess Summer flicked him with her tails and smiled. “Bootleg is… an odd character, to say the least.”

“You flatter me, Princess.”

“He’s worked for us for many years,” Princess Summer went on. “After this, he has definitely earned the title of King of Wonderland.”

“Really?”

Bootleg’s response was echoed through the pokemon.

“You mean you-” The mew blushed and rubbed the back of his head. “Well! What a pleasant surprise.”

“We simply must celebrate,” said Princess Summer. “I invite you all to a party here. I would be greatly honoured if you would join us.” She placed a paw on her sister’s shoulder, drawing a surprised glance. “All of us.”

“You… you forgive me?” Princess Winter gasped.

“Of course I do,” said Summer. “You’re my sister.”

Winter’s eyes glistened with tears and she nuzzled her sister’s mane.

“Well, what are we waiting for?” Bootleg shot into the air and threw his paws to the sides. “Let’s celebrate!”

Fireworks flew from his paws, filling the sky with colourful sparkles. The two ninetales laughed and shook their heads, while the group of adventurers joined them with their own laughter.

...​

The following party was wildly extravagant. The castle’s dining room sported a large table spread with various delights. Hat Man and March served the food, while their dedenne friend had found the only plate of butter to fall asleep in. The mushroom-like scolipede curled in a far corner, puffing at his hookah while chatting to Duchess. The Finder Pig snuffled around the table looking for crumbs but more often than not finding full sandwiches and truffles beneath the rug.

Peter watched him with admiration. “Oh, to be as adept at finding hidden things as that drowzee.”

The two princesses sat at the table with Bootleg enjoying a variety of teas (except Earl Grey, of course), and chatted to the various pokemon that filled their space.

“Oh!” Shimmer looked up from a cup of hot soup and licked her lips. “I have to ask. What happened to Valiant Heart?”

“Sir Valiant?” Princess Winter gasped. Her cheeks flushed and she looked away.

“Sir Valiant is imprisoned in Giratina’s Distortion World,” Princess Summer explained. “He did drag you in there, after all. Such trespassing is a crime.”

Winter sighed and lowered her head to her paws. “I can’t believe I dragged him into this. Perhaps… perhaps we can free him?”

Summer shrugged her shoulders. “He needs to atone for his crimes first. But yes.” She placed a paw on Winter’s shoulder. “We shall look at having him moved to the palace cells.”

At the other end of the table, Gil sat talking with Rob and Jung.

“As scary as it’s been at times,” said the golett, “this has been a truly fantastic adventure.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” said Rob. “And it’s nice to be indoors again. Warm, and surrounded by walls. And tea.” He slurped his black tea with relish.

“It has been fantastic,” said Maressa. “And it’s been lovely to meet you all. Thank you for carrying me all this time, Jung.”

“No problem,” said the hypno. He gave a nervous glance at the Finder Pig as it shuffled around his chair. “It’s a weird place. It puts some of the dreams I’ve assessed to shame with it’s strangeness.”

“Dreams can be very weird indeed,” said Maressa.

“Tell me about it,” said Rob. “Only last night I dreamt I was eating a cloud.”

Jung laughed at that and shook his head. “I’ll probably be dreaming about this place for a long time.”

“Wont we all!” said Maressa.

“I don’t dream,” said Gil. “I am beginning to feel sad about this.”

Rob put a paw on Gil’s arm. “Don’t worry about it. To be honest, sometimes I wish I didn’t dream.”

Gil closed their eyes in a smile. “That makes me feel better, thank you, Rob.” Then their expression turned distant. “I am going to miss all my new friends.”

“Me too,” said Maressa. “Who knows? Perhaps we’ll be asked to adventure together again in the future?”

“Or we can find some way to cross dimensions again?” said Rob. “I never knew there were so many worlds out there.”

Jung opened his mouth to add to this, but was cut off as Swift circled wildly above them.

“Zyzir?!” he gasped. “Zyzir! Where are you?!”

“Over here!” came a small voice.

The zubat hung upside down beside a glitter ball, a huge grin on his face.

“I think I found the moon!” he squealed. “I’ve finally flown high enough to reach the moon!”

Swift landed atop Gil’s head and sighed into his wing. “Oh Zyzir… At least he’s not lost again.”

“Leave him up there,” said Rob with a grin. “The kid’s happy.”

The table shook, causing all the teacups and plates to bounce. Against the wall, Coco huddled with her teeth wrapped around the table leg.

“Coco, no!” Shirlee ushered her away from it with a tentacle. “You can’t attack the princess’ furniture!”

“But my tooth hurts,” said Coco. “I need to strengthen it.”

“Oh dear.” Princess Winter lowered her head to look beneath the table. “Maybe I can help? Ice is very good for sore gums.”

Using her psychic, the ice-type ninetales lowered a frozen teacup to the tyrunt.

Coco took it in both paws and frowned into it.

“Marshmallows,” said Winter. “Nice and cold. Enjoy.”

Coco beamed at the princess and flopped to her bottom to tuck into her frozen dessert.

Huddled in a corner were Ruby and Sid. The quilava was going through his bag showing Ruby his exploration team equipment.

“And this is my WonderMap from back home,” he said. “It’s not been any use here, of course, since this is a different world to mine.”

Ruby picked up the map to examine it. “Wow, this is amazing. That little blinking icon in the corner? It’s trying to find you, isn’t it?”

“Yup!” Sid took it back gently and smiled at it. “Bootleg gave me a WonderMap for this world, too. Here.” He handed it to Ruby who took it excitedly. “It’s missing the areas you guys visited, though, so I’ve been taking notes off everyone and jotting them in the misty areas. I’m going to write all about this adventure when I get back home.”

“So am I,” said Ruby. “Maybe we can exchange notes? I want to know everything everyone else experienced!”

Shimmer and Minerva were doing just that. As best they could. Totta was too busy talking to March and Hat Man, and interrupting the girls’ conversation.

“And that is how you make sweet potato bread!” said the dunsparce.

“Interesting.” The lopunny scrawled the recipe on a napkin. “I’ll get Doormy to make this when we get home.”

Totta inclined her head on one side. “Doormy?”

“The dedenne,” Hat Man explained as he sipped his tea. “Currently asleep in the princess’ best butter.”

They looked up at the table as Grog tried to spread butter on his scone, carefully avoiding the dedenne with his butter knife. Minerva and Shimmer chuckled into their paws.

Peter waddled over and plopped down opposite them. He gave an appreciative glance at the room then smiled at the two girls with his tongue lolling out of his mouth.

“Great party, huh?” he said.

“It’s a fairly quiet one, to be honest,” said Minerva. “Can you believe after this we’ll all be sent back home?”

“I’m looking forward to it,” said Shimmer. “I can’t wait to see Toshi again and tell him all about this adventure.”

“I’m gonna write a huge article about this place,” said Peter. “I’ve been taking lots of notes.”

“Really?” Minerva shuffled towards him. “Can I see?”

“Sure!” Peter removed his deerstalker and pulled a notebook from inside it. “Be my guest!”

Minerva flipped it open and frowned. “What is this? It’s like it’s written in some other language.”

“It’s short-paw,” Peter explained. “Every good detective and journalist should know it.”

Minerva sighed and pushed the book back towards the rockruff. “Nevermind. I’ll just… try to remember everything.”

“Very well!” Peter tucked his book away and skipped off to chat with the scolipede.

...​

As the sun began to rise, the party came to an end.

The pokemon gathered outside, yawning and stretching as the warm rays radiated from beyond the clouds. A few stray flakes drifted into the courtyard, the evidence of the previous night’s fight well and truly hidden beneath a blanket of freshly fallen snow.

“Well, here we are.” Princess Summer stepped forwards and looked up at the sky. “Time to bring in spring.”

Princess Winter shuffled her paws. “Again, I am so sorry for all of this.”

“It’s forgiven.” Summer smiled at her over her shoulder. “Don’t worry about it. From now on, we’ll work side by side to care for this world.”

“I just hope… the pokemon here won’t hold winter in such low regard because of me.”

“Can I just say something?” Totta poked her head out of the snow before the ice ninetale’s feet. “I actually really like snow. Sure I can’t farm my taters in it, but it’s such fun to play in if you wrap up warm! I mean, what other time of year can you build a snow ‘mon and toss snowballs at your friends? Or lie in the floor and make one-winged snow angels?”

“One winged?” Grog raised an eyebrow. “Mine have two.”

Totta waved her tail and raised her stubby wings. “I don’t have much creative flexibility there, pal.”

“Oh man!” Shimmer threw her paws in the air. “I totally didn’t make a snow ‘mon. I should have done that.”

Princess Winter looked up at her new friends. “Are you saying… you like winter?”

“Sure we do!” said Totta. “Maybe not everyone does, but I like romping in the snow.”

“And I love it too!” Zyzir circled the princess’ head. “I’ve had so much fun looking at the frozen berries and the icicles! They sparkle in the light, it’s so pretty! And the ground is so white and clean-looking! The falling flakes are so gentle and each one is unique! It’s awesome!”

“It’s cold,” said Swift ruffling his feathers, “but it’s very pretty.”

Bootleg grinned down from his spot above the two ninetales, noting Winter’s change in demeanour.

A small smile played at Winter’s muzzle and she shuffled her paw in the snow. “Thank you. Thank you so much.”

Summer looked back at her with a warm smile. “I enjoy it too, sister. But we need to think about the world as a whole. Will you help me from now on?”

“Of course I will!” Winter raised her head and grinned. “We’ll use our powers to work together. Bring in spring, sister.”

Princess Summer raised her head and her body lit up with a warm glow. Heat radiated from her fur, washing over the ground and the pokemon surrounding her. Her body grew and stretched into a Snark just like Winter’s, except instead of frozen feathers Summer’s were like tongues of fire. She raised her head and roared, and the heat intensified. The snow melted away around her, stretching out towards the surrounding orchards and woodland. The sun rose slightly in the sky, casting its warm rays onto the ground and chasing away the last of the snow from the canopy. Small flowers popped up from the ground, ready to bloom later in the year and cast the world in colour.

The pokemon cheered and clapped their paws, and Grog leapt from foot to foot with a ‘whoop!’

Summer returned to her normal form and let out a sigh which misted in the warm air. She turned to address the pokemon and spread her tails like a fan. “Thank you again for all your help. Perhaps one day, you can come back and visit us?”

“I would love that,” said Winter. “Next time, we won’t be fighting. And your journey won’t be fraught with danger.”

Sid waved a paw. “Danger-schmanger. It’s been a blast!”

Winter chuckled at that and shook her head.

“Perhaps one day,” said Summer, “we may even visit your worlds? Who knows if and when our paths will cross again? I only hope you’ll remember us fondly.”

Nods and words of agreement spread throughout the crowd.

Summer stood back and looked up at the mew hovering above them. “Bootleg? If you would do the honours?”

“Gladly, my dear.” Bootleg drifted towards the group of adventurers and spread his paws. “Now, to send you all back home! Hold on to your stomachs, you may experience a little motion sickness.”

With that, the world warped, sending our adventurers back to their respective universes.

A/N - There you have it! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed! =D The next post will have some random illustrations and the reference list. Merry Christmas everyone!

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
Alice in Wonderland
Alice through the Looking Glass
The Hunting of the Snark
Slayers
Narnia
Labyrinth
Mirrormask
Chibi Robo
Terry Pratchett's 'Last Continent'
The Borrowers
Power Rangers
My Little Pony
Monster Hunter (Nargacuga)
Frozen
Sleeping Beauty
Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Snark
Snark.jpg

The Bandersnatch (Wonderlandian Arcanine)

Bandersnatch.jpg

Wonderlandian Floette and the Momerath (Wonderlandian Tangela)

MomerathShrooms.jpg

Bootleg Doodles

BootlegDoodles.jpg

A/N - I really wanted to doodle those regional variants XD Thanks again! =D Take care, everyone!

Last edited:

Persephone

Infinite Screms
Pronouns
her/hers
Partners
  1. mawile
  2. vulpix-alola
Huh? First...? That's weird.

I liked this. And not just cause it has one of my favorite characters. Although Coco is very sweet! Does the noms. No real objection to the characterization, either. She's a fair bit more powerful here than in canon, but crossover power creep/seep is a useful trope in these sorts of environments. Otherwise some characters would be entirely useless in combat situations.

I thought that most characters got a decent amount of focus. Sid and Swift probably had close to the least. After setting down the fic for several hours, I can't really remember anything either did. Still, having memorable moments for thirteen characters is pretty good. I also remember being a little let down that Minerva being a treasure hunter of sorts didn't come up more in her scene. It did, sort of, but her being treasure obsessed to the point of compromising the mission could've been a fun moment.

Confession: I've never read either of the Wonderland books. Or seen any of the movies. A lot kind of went over my head as such. I could still appreciate the absurdism of everything. Made it all vaguely coherent in a dream sort of way, which was probably the point.

I was a little disappointed that the Momerath went down so easily. Most of the other challenges involved contributions from all of the team members. That one really could have been handled by Ruby alone. First quest easily had the best setting, though. Maybe my favorite of the non-Coco segments, if only because tater farming dunsparce is great.

The final portion of the second quest was clever, although sometimes in the teacup I couldn't really understand what was going on until a few lines of context later. Dedenne in the buttercup was great. Maybe best character? I suppose that the zubat didn't really contribute much beyond falling into a teacup, but that was part of the joke lol. What a sweet boi. So very useless.

I really liked the bisharp under the couch. V sympathetic. Best pests. Would pepper again. The horsea's spilled water being useful was clever. A good way to use a character who is otherwise quite limited. I also liked the smell / direction mind screw. One of the better executed ones IMO. Detective rockruff is good dogs, Brent. 13/10. The "I can't open the door because I'm outside" sequence was also one of the finer examples of dream logic in this story.

Coco! Does all the noms! All problems can be solved by biting them. The rest can just be ignored, probably. Shimmer and Shrilee sort of had an arc! That was a little uncommon, partially because it's hard to showcase and develop that many characters. And authors could get mad if you dare to change their darlings... again, not necessarily a bad thing. But it was nice to see it here. Grog almost fainting any time either of the psychics touched him was great. Lots of rabbits in this fic. Maybe not that many, but I did notice the lopunny / raboot double up. Maybe there's a reference reason the latter has to be a rabbit. I missed it if so. Spacetime distortion is truly no match for dinosaurs. I did lose track of Grog for a moment towards the end: was he supposed to be attacking the knight? At times it felt like he wasn't doing anything after going through the door.

Final battle! Everyone is equally useless. Except Mewgazaord. Mewgazord can solve all problems. After making fifteen pokemon do all the work and then get beat up while he watches and giggles. Come to think of it, maybe that's why he gets put into high political office: he already acts like he has one. Ninetales! I love all ninetales. Snow ninetales, lesser ninetales, baby ninetales, discolored baby ninetales... they're all good. Pixie's just mad that Coco got to gaze upon one and Pix wasn't even there. Unfair!

"And everyone was friends" endings are a little cliche. This one felt a little unwarranted, too, since there hadn't been that much bonding or development from it. But the ending about The One Winged Angel saving the spirit of Christmas is great. Very fitting. Totta for Smash.

The only things in the area that were not grass was a group of fifteen pokemon of varying species, and one lone mirror.
I think it should be "the only thing in the area was a group" since "group" is singular.

a tyrunt had her jaws wrapped around the frame of the mirror ‘just to see if it could feel any pain’
Must show mirror how good teeth are!

“Are you outta your cotton-pickin’ mind?” Minerva asked.
'course. Totta's in a tater-pickin' mind.

“Oh, my poor snoot!”
Oh no! Was booped too hard!

She lowered her head and let out an intimidating growl… which sounded more like a kitten’s purr, but no one said anything.
She knows Roar in canon! But this is funny enough that canon can go out the window lol.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
A wonderful fic of familiar warped by outre... I never thought I'd read a mix match of pokemon, misc pop-culture and Alice in Wonderland in my life... but here we are. The whole was a wonderful light-hearted romp that I enjoyed from start to finish. While I was not too familiar with the 'mon beyond third gen a quick poke through wikipedia resolved most of my confusion, that and continuing. My familiarity with Wonderland carried me through most of the fic and I found some of your substitution of 'mon quite amusing when compared to the original Carol's cast.

Thank you for handling Rob so very well, I knew he'd be a challenge and you more than rose to the occasion. You juggled reality challenged curmudgeon with a heart of gold beautifully and I adored every line you had with him in it. Of the cast Maressa and Zyzir were my two favorites, the flying panicky spaz was endearing beyond words and Maressa juggling the outre scenarios and providing her solutions with near casual grace made me alternate between laughing and intrigued with seeing her in her own naturals story/setting. I'll definitely have to look her up in her original setting later.

My only quibble was... well the god mode mew Bootleg. It felt less and adventure and more a guided script at points. Part of the allure of the original was the mistakes that were made, the fumbling through, and the non sensual solutions, workarounds, or events that kept the plot going. While Bootleg did keep the plot going with minimal nudges at first how it escalated with him shanghaiing the final fight felt... a bit off... in comparison to all the other scenarios, the base material, and even the fandom that the original cast came from. On the other hand having him step in and wrap everything up did speed up the ending a bit, and considering you were working on a time crunch with fifteen different characters to juggle I could see the appeal... it just probably was my least favorite aspect of the tale.

Beyond that it was a wonderful work and thank you for posting/sharing it with all of us.

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
Moment I saw them (well, "saw" them) go through the mirror, I thought, He's going to have to be dragged in or pushed. And lo and behold, he did. :P Zyrzir was adorkable (the image of this silly little bat scolding an icicle was a thing of ridiculous majesty XD), and as I suspected, he ended up getting others in a spot of trouble. But hey, it was for a good cause! Kinda like tripping and falling directly on a pile of money, only a lot more Earl Grey-scented. :B

That was a pretty fun cast of characters in general. I especially enjoyed Totta and Coco. Now there's a pair with their priorities in order. Potatoes and biting: truly the greatest things in life.

Overall, this was a fun read with a lot of great fantasy imagery and weirdness sprinkled throughout. :D Thanks for letting us be a part of it!

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
Thanks for reading, guys! I'll get around to some replies real quick!

I thought that most characters got a decent amount of focus. Sid and Swift probably had close to the least. After setting down the fic for several hours, I can't really remember anything either did. Still, having memorable moments for thirteen characters is pretty good.

Thanks, one of the reasons it ended up so long was because I wanted to prioritize giving everyone some focus! It's surprising you don't remember Sid and Swift much, especially since the latter was one of my favourites to write! I actually felt I focused on him a little too much at times XD But I'm encouraged you found thirteen were still memorable =D Thank you!

Confession: I've never read either of the Wonderland books. Or seen any of the movies. A lot kind of went over my head as such. I could still appreciate the absurdism of everything. Made it all vaguely coherent in a dream sort of way, which was probably the point.

Man, you're missing out! Wonderland is my favourite childhood story XD there are so many references in here to that. I'm glad you found it suitably absurd yet dreamlike =D

I was a little disappointed that the Momerath went down so easily.

This was actually a reference to Ruby's bio. She produces more fire than your standard cyndaquil and is therefore stronger, and loves to fight. So having a 'huh... that was easy' moment followed by her sudden fiery nature to fight was a nod to that. Perhaps I could have added more Momeraths...? She might have liked that.

The final portion of the second quest was clever, although sometimes in the teacup I couldn't really understand what was going on until a few lines of context later.

The teacup was my Chibi Robo reference to the Chibi Doors. It was pretty confusing to write, too, given the trippiest thing about those doors in Chibi Robo is the high-pitched noise. Sorry you struggled to follow it >.<

I really liked the bisharp under the couch. V sympathetic. Best pests. Would pepper again.

Aww me too! I'd let them live there =D

The "I can't open the door because I'm outside" sequence was also one of the finer examples of dream logic in this story.

This is a HUGE Alice in Wonderland reference with the Frog Doorman, who is outside and therefore can't let Alice in. Yeah, total dream logic too XD Also, since I forgot to quote it, I'll comment on the lopunny and raboot appearances. They are the March Hare and White Rabbit respectively! =3

Coco! Does all the noms! All problems can be solved by biting them. The rest can just be ignored, probably.

Oh but of course! Best solution.

I think it should be "the only thing in the area was a group" since "group" is singular.

Thanks I'll fix this!

I never thought I'd read a mix match of pokemon, misc pop-culture and Alice in Wonderland in my life

Hah! I've written loads of stuff like this in the past, and I love it! I've even done something similar for the first TR Exquisite Corpse.

Thank you for handling Rob so very well, I knew he'd be a challenge and you more than rose to the occasion. You juggled reality challenged curmudgeon with a heart of gold beautifully and I adored every line you had with him in it.

Oh I'm glad you liked my portrayal of him! He was such a darling to write.

My only quibble was... well the god mode mew Bootleg. It felt less and adventure and more a guided script at points.

Yeah, like you said it was a means to speed things up a bit. I'd had his 'morphing' in mind for a while writing this, and I also needed a means for everyone to reach the same place at the same time. He shamelessly guided them since he knew where everything was. But he did steal the scene in that last fight ^^;

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you liked it! =D

Zyrzir was adorkable (the image of this silly little bat scolding an icicle was a thing of ridiculous majesty XD), and as I suspected, he ended up getting others in a spot of trouble. But hey, it was for a good cause! Kinda like tripping and falling directly on a pile of money, only a lot more Earl Grey-scented. :B

He was a true star (and tiny hero!) by accidentally finding that teapot. I really loved Zyzir, thanks for submitting him =D

Overall, this was a fun read with a lot of great fantasy imagery and weirdness sprinkled throughout. :D Thanks for letting us be a part of it!

Thank you! I'm glad it got such a reception with all the submissions! (I should add a link to them in the opening actually. I've just reminded myself!) I do like writing weird silly stories like this, and I hope to do more in the future XD

cynsh

full-time quilava
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. quilava
I can't help feeling like I missed a lot of background that would have made this story more enjoyable. I've never read Alice in Wonderland and only seen some of the film - while I recognised it had a very Alice vibe, all the references just sort of flew over my head. Same with... uh, all the other references. I'm not familiar with many of those works at all, and even the ones I am I didn't pick up what was there ^^;

Obviously the character I was most interested in was my very own Sid. In hindsight I realise I didn't provide as much information about him as a lot of other entries, and while he had some moments that were very Sid and made me smile, some were not so much. He's not from the PMD world! And even if he was, he would not be as organised with a map as you presented him. But hey. This is an incredible effort really, combining fifteen different characters into a relatively cohesive story, so I'm reluctant to critique too much. I will say that there are a few spelling/grammar errors, its/it's, a few instances of 'lead' instead of 'led', though that's understandable given the speed at which you wrote this.

A couple of quotes:

“Then what are you doing out in it?” asked the mr rime.

“We have been tasked with-” Gil was cut off by Swift waving a wing in their face. “Oh. A thousand pardons.”

Not sure why Swift thought it was so bad to disclose what they were doing?

The toxicroak skipped across their platform and kicked off towards the door. However, he’d totally miscalculated, missing the platform by about a foot.

“Grog!” Shimmer squeaked, throwing her paws in front of her face. “Coco, do your thing! Please!”

The little dinosaur threw her head back and roared. The door shot across like a sliding screen, blocking the toxicroak’s path. He stretched out a paw with a huge grin on his face, reaching for the doorknob. However, the strange dimension broke every law of gravity and he landed face down against the door. When he stood up, his feet were flat on the vertical platform, and he looked back at the girls with some confusion.
I was also confused. Couldn't really visualise what was happening here.

To balance it out, here are some quotes I particularly enjoyed:

Oh dear.” A huge snowflake landed on the golett’s head. “It appears it has begun to snow. This weather does not agree with my structural integrity.”
Minerva shrugged and continued on after Totta, who was now singing a cheery song about spuds.
“Ooh! Is that the tea party?” Totta asked as she began to flop towards the clearing.
FLOP. SHE FLOPS

“Yes please!” Zyzir circled Gil’s head as they turned onto the right path. “What tea will you be ordering?”

“Like I explained, I do not consume tea.”

“Hat Man is fine.” The mr rime took a sip of tea.
“Mine does too,” said Zyzir. “I thought this was ‘Whatever You Want It To Be Tea’?”

“It is,” said Hat Man. “And I wanted it to be Earl Grey.”
The polteageist rose from his teapot and waved his arms anti-clockwise. The cups and saucers rose from the table and moved one over towards the mr rime. The clean cup situated between him and the other pokemon landed before him, while March ended up with his dirty one. Each of the four pokemon ended up with the cup beside them, which meant Zyzir ended up with a cup the mr rime had used earlier that morning.
The Hat Man segment of the story would have to be my favourite.
“Not necessarily,” said Sid. “I mean, look at seel and dewgong! They’ve got white fur and enough water-type moves to give me a bad time. This thing could probably drown me in its own bath water!”
A few grunts came from the living room, and a squat creature snuffled around the sofa. It wasn’t quite a pig. Its colours and face were that of a drowzee, and it plodded along on all-fours, its trunk sweeping along the floor and beneath the sofa trimming.

Jung’s lip curled and he shuffled with unease. “Well, that’s a disturbing image.”
Love Jung. Understatement of the year.

The rockruff whipped a deerstalker out of hammerspace and plopped it atop his head. “Great Detective Peter, at your service!”
Finally, a reference I understand!

Sid pulled a notebook and quill from his bag.
Geddit? Quill, because he's a quill-ava? :quag:
Maressa stared mournfully at the back of the sofa which now sported a large blob of ink dribbling over the patchwork cover. “Oh I am so sorry. It was rather inky. I hope it doesn’t stain.”

“Not a moment too soon!” Sid appeared beside her and dipped his quill into it. “I’d just ran out.”
The quadruped drowzee plodded over and poked his snout beneath the sofa. The end lit up like a torch
This instantly made me think of this - you're welcome.
“Go back where?” Shimmer asked. “The path lead here.”

“He gave a valid argument,” said Totta. “Come on, anyone can be wrong, right? I mean, if I was right, y’all would still be dunsparce right now.”
Another reference I get! :quag:
Sid waved a paw. “Danger-schmanger. It’s been a blast!”
I feel honoured that Sid had one of the last lines :veelove:

Favourite characters from the rest would be Totta, Gil, Zyzir and Coco. All were characterised delightfully and had some great lines, probably helped by them being some of the most off-the-wall characters of the bunch. Finally, Bootleg's design is adorable. I really thought he was secretly working against the 'mons until the end. I guess he just likes a bit of fun.

Thanks for writing this and letting my baby character be a part of it!

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
He's not from the PMD world! And even if he was, he would not be as organised with a map as you presented him. But hey. This is an incredible effort really, combining fifteen different characters into a relatively cohesive story, so I'm reluctant to critique too much.

Wow! I didn't know that! XD Sorry! I'm glad you enjoyed him regardless of that!

FLOP. SHE FLOPS

Oh man I loved writing Totta so much. She's made me like dunsparce.

The Hat Man segment of the story would have to be my favourite.

It's interesting to see which parts people particularly enjoyed, as it can be variable! I liked writing the Hat Man part too, especially going into the teacup. If memory serves, though, I think that scene is where I hit a bit of a snag. And that's probably why Swift stops Gil from explaining at the start... I just... kinda forgot where I was going a bit ^^;

Bootleg's design is adorable. I really thought he was secretly working against the 'mons until the end. I guess he just likes a bit of fun.

Thank you! =3 I designed him well before I planned to work on this. You were meant to think he was working against them ;) I'm glad that came across! Given he's based on Xellos, I wanted him to be as close to his inspiration as possible. Yes, he does like a bit of fun XD

Thanks so much for reading, and your review! =D Sorry it took me a while to reply.

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Hi! I originally intended to read this back when you first posted it, but I haven't had a chance to do very much at all since December so I'm only now getting around to this! My apologies, but this has been well worth the wait!

I was getting Alice in Wonderland vibes from the beginning, and the mention of a Snark solidified that for me!

Love Totta and her potato-farming! So cute and so much personality. Also think you did a great job with Minerva and her snarinessk.

Ahhhh you got a Scolipede in place of Absolom! I think it's so clever :D

Oh man a tea house sounds sooooo nice when it's cold and snowy outside (and it sounds nice any day of the year, honestly)!

“Where do you sleep?” Gil asked.

The mr rime waved a paw towards the dedenne, who muttered buttery thoughts in their sleep.
This made me giggle XD

I quite liked the first segment! I think you do a wonderful job of incorporating and portraying the different characters; so far, it doesn't feel like any are given special attention over each other and all have proved helpful in some way! I love the Alice in Wonderland setting and you do a good job reflecting the setting in your prose. I also think you manage to cleverly translate it all to the Pokemon world, and it feels very fresh!

Aww yeah, Horsea Maressa is the one to find the pepper! I love what you've done with her and I think you made her curiosity and desire for problem-solving really stand out :D

Why did you make the Pokemon with the pepper Pawniard? Just asking out of curiosity. I notice you have a couple in The End as well; is it just a Pokemon you like wrriting?

The kirlia smoothed out one of her hair grips and shifted her gaze. “I may have been thinking about Toshi at the time.”
Ahhh haha so cute!

Haha, this got a chuckle out of me, too XD

The snow-covered courtyard seemed to stretch on for miles on all sides, ending in what were once glorious orchards and gardens. Now they were buried beneath freezing snow, branches weighed down by icicles that resembled a tangle of thorns. The cobbled ground was frozen and cracked, with spindly plants jutting up from beneath them with the goal to survive the weather. Instead they’d met a frozen fate, their powder coating of frost shimmering in the moonlight.

At the end of the courtyard stood a huge castle rising from the mist, its glassy walls illuminated by the moon. Its roof was white with snow, and snow-melt dangled in frozen spikes around its canopy. Its highest point sported two silver bells, hanging stiffly at odd angles as if their song had been lost to the seas of time.
This is really beautiful prose, and you set this scene so elegantly! I love frozen ice castles and snowy settings like this.

And I loved the doodles you provided at the end! The mushroom Floette are especially cute :P You did a great job with the regional variants.

This was a really great story! The ending was very sweet with the sisters forgiving and reuniting to make the world a more habitable place for all 'mon. I thought their reunion was very sweet and the story ends on a bittersweet note with everyone returning home. I loved Maressa's line about wanting to stay friends and adventure together again--it's just what she would say!

If I had one criticism, it's this:
Maressa waved a dismissive paw.
Horseas don't have paws XD Maybe you meant a different character, haha!

But overall, wonderful job! Thank you so much for sharing this delight :D

Top Bottom