• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Tree of Life ~ Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"More like they'll be chasing us like we're prey," Owen murmured, looking down. "I don't think we'll be able to do much against Maple until she's weakened. And Eien, well..."

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Bahamut would've rolled his eyes if he could. "Didn't your mother ever teach you it's rude not to finish your sentences? An eternatus brought me eleven centuries of painful undead torment. This one is like a basket of growlithe puppies in comparison."

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
It was a small group convening in the tree of life. A lot of people had decided they wanted to go to nightmare hell, for whatever fucking reason. Rocky among them.

"Vix is supposed to be there, isn't she? I still need to talk to her," the familiar said, picking at the strap of his item bag.

"Yeah, I know," Nate said. "You gotta stick by me for now, though, okay? Don't think this is gonna be a one-man job. She'll be back with us soon, right?"

"She will," Rocky said, though he was still fiddling with his bag, frowning. After a moment he straightened up and gazed around at their small party. "I hope there are enough of us for this.

No shit. Owen and Bahamut were discussing whatever Owen was going to do with his weird tree thing, and the overall strategy, which sounded like it was mostly, "Run around trying not to die until Maple gets brought down," which was just fucking fantastic.

At least "Xernatus" was supposed to be helping them out, for whatever that might be worth. Nate glanced at Owen and Bahamut, then cautiously approached the... whatever the hell Xernatus was.

"Um, hey," he said. Every time he looked at the guy he pictured what he looked like on the inside. Jesus. "I was just wondering, err, if you know Xerneas pretty well... Did he have a favorite part of the tree? Anywhere he kind of liked to hang out?"

Last edited:

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Bahamut had to resist the urge to facepalm. "If you're going to run off to explore the tree, understand you're doing so on your own. If one of the three daemons spots you, you'll be turned to mush like Vix was."

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Nate nodded to Xernatus. "Yeah, if you could, that would be great. Dunno that we'd find nothing, but... dunno whether we'll get another chance to look, neither." He looked up at the dark opening in the tree, its glow faded and its trunk cracked and twisted. "Must be hard, seeing the place like this."

Bahamut's comment, on the other hand, elicited a sigh. "Can't lie, I was hoping you might be able to help with the seal thing if we find it. That sorta psychic fuckery ain't my deal at all. But if I gotta do whatever myself, guess I gotta do it myself."

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
“Keeping the person responsible for the team’s survival alive trumps searching for the missing toothpaste deerling,” Bahamut deadpanned.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"...We're about to enter," Diyem said darkly, already bringing his Shadows and coalescing them into a warhammer.

"...Say, Diyem, why do you turn your Shadows into a... that, anyway?"

"I've generally done better in close quarters," Diyem replied.

"Yes, but why that?" Owen asked.

"...Why a warhammer."

"Yeah."

"...Mmh. Eien suggested it."

"Oh..."

With Nate and Bahamut prepared, Owen conjured Wishkeeper and sent him toward Diyem. He grasped Wishkeeper by the hand and pulled; he dissolved into him, and then Diyem did the same with all the other phantoms before confirming their presence.

"We shall burst inside," he said, "and strike as quickly as we can to get the team inside Maple's realm. From there, we must buy time and strike when Maple is most vulnerable. If they can free Maple from the inside, then all will be well. If they cannot, we can at least subdue... and eliminate her. Joule is waiting elsewhere for a signal one way or the other; he can help."

"I'm ready." Xernatus approached the tree, sighing.

Everyone. Can you hear me from within? Soon, you will be fired into Maple. It will be disorienting, but think of it as Waypoint travel. You will likely enter a place similar to my Voidlands, but it will no longer be my realm. Beware of whatever awaits. What is inside that you must attack will likely resemble what Maple looks like outside.

Are you ready?

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
So that was it. Soon, they would enter Maple’s Voidlands and behold a new kind of madness.

There was no way to tell whether it was like Diyem’s or like Chaos or like something else, but in any case, Icetales was ready.

…I am ready, Sir Diyem.

Nearby him was Petram, waiting to be sent into Maple with a mix between thrill and anxiety. He had felt the horrors of Chaos many times through Daddy’s memories, and he was worried whether Icetales would have endured another trip to the Voidlands.

You’re really up for that, Daddy?

Yes. I am fully committed to this. I shall be all right.

…You sure?

I am most confident, yes. I have fully embraced what I am and I shall do what I can.

…Okay. Um… In any case, I am here in case… huh… things become too stressful for you, yeah? So, huh, for anything, just… I am here, okay?

Icetales chuckled. All right. I much appreciate thy support, Petram. Truly, I do.

Good. This time Petram seemed more relaxed. Very good.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Ready... and... now!"

They ran through the tree's opening the moment Xernatus willed them aside, revealing a completely ruined interior. Walls once brimming with life were instead covered in scorches and cracks; previously red and glowing from Eterna corruption, it was now blackened with flames. Blacklight fire remained in a few patches, but otherwise seemed to be completely normal.

But what was inside surprised them more. Diyem could not sense Blacklight Mewtwo's presence. And Eien's presence was much weaker and far away.

And directly ahead of them was Maple--she looked only slightly wounded, snarling. The wounds were healing right before their eyes.

"...Perhaps there is only one foe to worry about," Diyem said.

"You... Dark Matter... destroyed... Telum..."

"Wonderful." Diyem readied his warhammer. "Time to knock some sense into her."

"RRAAAAAAAAGH!"

Diyem pointed the warhammer forward and aimed at a dark splotch at the front of Maple's chest. Perfect shot, practiced, controlled, and homing in on resonant corruption. It struck its mark, giving Maple a stunned pause as she roared in anguish, but it would only last for a few seconds.

"The layout's the same as before!" Owen announced.

"Instruct me on where to go," Diyem ordered them. "I need to focus on increasing my power. If we must flee from Maple, so be it."

"I--I can put up walls and try to shift things around if I can," Xernatus said. "T-tell me what to do as well!"

Call Diyem and Xernatus to give them commands! Xernatus can create walls in any zone he occupies to stall Maple!

Maple: 7500
Maple is even more powerful!
Where could the others be...?

Victory: Defeat or restore Maple!
Special Condition: Unknown

Last edited:

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"If we're still toward the front of the tree and Maple somehow incapacitated the others, it's not unreasonable to think they're close to where you located them last time." It was more strategic to use telepathy at this point. Every word Bahamut spoke in Maple's presence could prove a problem if he wasn't careful.

"Maple..." Bahamut's eyes had cautious cyans spreading through them. "Calm yourself, please. We just want to talk."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"She is too far gone to listen to words," Diyem said. "Foolish as it is, the nature of Cibus means we can only spread our feelings toward her in a fight. Perhaps that will awaken her inner self..."

Maple was rushing toward them. Owen spread his wings.

"I've got a good Protect in me. I'll try to hold her off at least for a little while. Then I'll try to catch up!"

"Your portals won't work in such close proximity to her," Diyem told Bahamut. "But perhaps we can divert attention away..."

"Here she comes!" Owen shouted.

"Do I summon phantoms? Make walls?!" Xernatus was panicking. He didn't know how strong his abilities were anymore.

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Bahamut wrapped his tail around Xernatus' snout. "Be silent. Predators can smell the fear of their prey. If you let your mind waver, you will be that much more vulnerable." He hoisted Xernatus to eye level. "Make two phantoms: Mew and that charizard, Nutmeg. If we're lucky, she'll think they're Dark Matter or Sword and get distracted. Send one to the center-middle and put a barrier up behind it if you can."

He glanced at Owen. "I shouldn't have to say this, but if you haven't stuffed Cal into her Ultra Stone, do it. We have no idea what kind of corruptive energy Maple will give off, but I don't want any shades reacting to her or Eternatus."

Bahamut adopted a strange pose, balancing on his tail and shielding himself with his wings. This is going to suck.

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Nate's stomach lurched when Maple charged them, snarling nonsense and spattered with corruption. Fuck. Right. Just another goddamn stupid fight.

Get ready! he thought at Rocky, who was staring at Maple, transfixed.

I--I--yes! The familiar looked nervously back at Nate. The marshtomp could feel Rocky's anxiety radiating through the psychic connection, and it was honestly sad. Since when was Rocky anxious about a fight?

It'll be okay, he said. Don't go far. Eien was on the right last time, so go left. Come back if you're worried. Okay?

Okay, Rocky said after a moment, but his smile was unconvincing.

Standing in the Tree of Life with whatever kind of cosmic horror Voice of Life howling for blood really didn't feel like the place for this, but Nate tried to block all that out. He sent the warmest thoughts he could to Rocky. You've got this. I'll be right here, okay? You ain't got nothing to worry about.

Rocky smiled a little wider, eyes gleaming. You'd better be, he thought. The familiar drew back into his core, and a moment later the stone rolled quietly away, off to see what lay deeper within the tree.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen and Bahamut quickly went with their plan. Owen gave Bahamut a firm nod and said, "Here, take some support!" as a shining light from Owen's arm trailed to his claws, then washed over Bahamut. Just some extra energy to withstand whatever Maple had for him.

Xernatus summoned two phantoms! Nutmeg and Mew appeared! They're weaker now that the Tree is...
Nutmeg moved to the middle of the tree!
Mew used Transform! Mew looks like Darkwhite!
Xernatus formed barriers in all of the bottom-center zone!

"If you run through, the roots will let you in!" Xernatus shouted. "They can hold Maple off without impeding your own flight!"

But now he was with Bahamut, nodding nervously. He had to endure this volley...

Diyem fled to the bottom left with Owen!
Diyem used Abyssal ritual twice!

"Can't do that faster?" Owen asked frantically.

"I cannot," Diyem replied. "The energies need time to coalesce. There is no rushing such a process."

"Okay. I'll keep you protected until then!"

Maple moved to MC!
Maple used Blinding Blade on Nutmeg, dealing 11587 damage to Nutmeg!
Maple used Blinding Crescent on Nutmeg, dealing 9624 damage! The phantom was destroyed!
Maple attacked the wall, destroying it!
Maple moved to BC!
Maple used Judgement - Fire on Bahamut, Xernatus, and Mew!
Bahamut: 220
Xernatus: 1423
Mew: 2488

Maple is overflowing with power! She regenerated to full HP!

Maple: 9,999

Owen's insight:
Until the team weakens her inside, she'll keep healing before we can do any damage! She's too strong!

Bahamut! Are you okay? Owen called. Diyem's starting his ritual! He's already a little stronger!

I sense he was hurt. Not much. But another onslaught could be devastating without protection of some kind.

Bahamut, what if you switch with me? I'll ready a Protect, and then you can switch back when I'm feeling weak!

How are the phantoms?

Owen looked like he was trying to conjure a plan...

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"She effortlessly obliterated one of them, I think? But the fake mew is still kicking." Bahamut telepathically growled. He feigned dizziness from Maple's attacking, grabbing his head with his upper wings and shaking it. "She can wield Judgement, so if we're going through with this I hope you intend to soften your crippling rock weakness. Otherwise we'll be pulling what's left of you out of a pile of rubble.

"Actually, I want to see if we can try baiting her into going right. She's clearly not of sound mind. Maybe we can trick her if Xernatus puts up a barrier going right?"

He floated back, eyes flickering red and purple. "Diyem! It didn't work! You have to flee deeper right, quickly! I'm sensing distorted energy there!"

Bahamut briefly snarled at Maple before disappearing in a flash.

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Rocky trundled through the tree's inner corridors, powering up over the humps of twisting roots and then letting gravity pull him into a long roll down their far sides. It might almost have been fun, but... This was a sad place. The walls were scarred and blackened, and the whole place shook with far-off attacks, roars of pain and rage.

And the feeling he was looking for wasn't a happy feeling, either. The place where Xerneas hopefully was was supposed to feel like a bad thing. Like something that didn't belong, something quiet and reaching and evil. It didn't help that the prickling battle hunger was something Owen said wasn't even part of the seal, which made Rocky worry about Owen more than anything.

That wasn't the feeling that came over Rocky as he rolled along, though. No, he was feeling warm. Strong. Almost happy?

Arceus' band grew hot around his core. Oh, that... that was happening again? It had been a long time. He paused, tucked into knotty corner of wood, and felt like he was far away, like he could see whole other planets, even just for a moment, while the strange energy flowed through him. The team still had help, didn't they? Maybe everything would be okay after all.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Oh, I can do that!

Which meant he was going to have to flare up his latent Dragon energy against Maple. Something about that thrilled him, but he didn't vocalize it, even mentally.

Owen quickly got to work. "Xerneas, make some phantoms and run to the right! Okay? I'll guard you!"

"What? But--"

"Trust me!" There was no time to think.

"Okay--okay."

Owen called Xernatus!
Owen used Protect+5!
Owen fled to BR!

Diyem, meanwhile, blinked in surprise at Bahamut, and then listened as Maple's roars... became more distant.

"...That shouldn't have worked," he growled at Bahamut, even as he continued to focus entirely on his gestures. "Fine. Here's your reward."

Diyem used Abyssal Ritual, twice!
Diyem used Abyssal Blessing on Bahamut, Overhealing him, granting +6 Speed, and +1 Endure!

The phantom of Sword used Psychic on Maple, dealing 15 damage!

Xernatus fled to BR! Xernatus fled to MR! Xernatus formed walls around MR!

Maple snarled again, swiping at Owen as he fled, but Mew got in the way with the pesky Psychic attack. It was enough to annoy her into attacking back.

Maple used Blinding Blade against Mew, dealing 10,328 damage!
Maple used Blinding Crescent against Mew, dealing 7320 damage! The phantom was destroyed!
Maple struck the wall into BR, destroying it!
Maple moved into BR!
Maple struck Owen twice, depleting two barriers!

Okay, Bahamut! Xernatus couldn't make another phantom while running... but he made some extra walls. I've got Maple in the opposite bottom corner to Diyem! I think we can stall for time in here! She's still strong. The others must still be fighting...

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"Maple is in the bottom right. How long do you need to finish that... whatever it is you're doing, exactly?" Bahamut whispered. "If you run after Xernatus, it might further convince her to give chase. Also, I could Ally Switch with Xernatus and let him plant more baits in other areas. If he leaves behind a phantom, you go into the middle-right, and I move there, I could use Umbral Gambit to stave off a Judgement or two and preserve any shields you might have left."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom