• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Spirits' Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"S-so...you've been saving a...whole world?" Gen asked, glancing again towards Vix. "A-are...Dill and Vix your teammates?"

"Yep! Though there's lots of others on our team, too!" Saltriv said. "Shiron, Starr, Brisa, Koa, Icetales, Dave, and lots of others! We're called Team Spectrum!"

"W-wow..." Gen said, clutching tighter onto Saltriv. He glanced to the nearby house, and trembled even more than before.

Feeling their friend trembling against them, Saltriv laid a vine on him, and gave him a concerned look. "What's wrong?"

"I-I..." Gen trailed off, looking back and forth between Saltriv, Dill, Vix, the house, and the cherry blossom tree.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I-I...it's nothing," Gen lied, his gaze settling on the cherry blossom tree. "J-just...a bit overwhelmed from...e-everything you told me."

"It'll be ok," Saltriv reassured him. "I'll come back when this is all done, then me, you, and Burhalla can continue being a search party, and try to find out what happened to you to lose your memory!"

Gen's expression paled at that. And Saltriv noticed.

"Is...there something wrong with that?" Saltriv asked, before looking towards the tree. "...I've never heard about any tree like that being on the Thunder Continent... Maybe it's from one of the other continents, and that's where you came from! We could use this to figure out your lost memories!"

Gen's expression only got more scared. "I-I...I don't know..."

"...that house looks weird too...I've never heard of any houses being like that, except in stories about the human world..." Saltriv said, gazing towards the house.

As they stared at the house, hugging Gen with their vines, a realization came to Saltriv.

Something was up with Gen. This didn't make sense.

But...he couldn't...could he?

"Gen. What's going on?" Saltriv asked with seriousness in their voice, as they looked down at their Oshawott friend.

Gen let out a small squeak. The tiny otter looked absolutely terrified.

Sudmensch

Professional Procrastinator
Pronouns
he/him
Dill's tail flicked. He hadn't signed up for this, but... he was naturally curious, nevertheless. Something was up, he knew that much.

He remained silent, watching Saltriv and Gen awkwardly.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"Wait, this isn't, like, you guys' home town or something? Then where'd we end up at..?" Vix asked, looking at Gen. "And why would you be here if... this is..."

Things started to click. Why an Oshawott be in a place with a "human" house... which honestly just looked like a house but if it being human was important enough to point out...

Regardless, it most certainly wasn't Vix's place to flat out say it. This looked like it was some big secret Gen had, and if anyone had to let it slip now, it'd have to be him.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Buffet tilted his head. "Um... Is it not obvious?" he mumbled aloud, drifting left and right as he inspected the cherry blossom tree. It had been clear to him the moment he'd arrived. Then again, Buffet was... familiar with spirits that had this particular scent. "I suppose it's pretty obvious, but then again, Saltriv, I think you've already known a few like Gen in our world... It's really not that big of a deal. A coin a dozen nowadays." He giggled. "Funny how their kind tend to gather when there is a time of need no matter what world you go to."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Gen's trembling got worse as Vix, and then Buffet spoke up. No. This couldn't be happening. He didn't want to be alo—

"Gen," Saltriv said, looking the Oshawott—no, the human straight in the eyes. "...are...are you a human?"

Gen let out another squeak at that. He frantically looked around, for someone, anyone to save him. Save him from being alone.

But nobody came.

He was alone, with four Pokemon who'd want nothing to do with him anymore.

Tears splashed onto the ground. "N-no! I'm not!" he lied, desperately trying to keep his web of lies intact.

"Please," Saltriv said, looking at their friend with pleading eyes. "Please, tell me the truth."

"...y-yes," Gen said, looking down at the ground.

This was it, then. Burhalla would be told, and then he'd be kicked out of the team, and he'd be all alone—

A vine was laid on his head, and a soothing aroma reached his nose. He looked up, and saw Saltriv looking down at him, with a sad smile.

"I'm not going to abandon you," Saltriv said, slowly moving their vine back and forth across Gen's head.

A few seconds later, they spoke up again.

"But...I don't understand. Why?"

Gen looked back down at the ground, clutching tightly onto his reunion cape.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"Probably because humans that became Pokemon aren't anything special nowadays," Vix muttered to herself, not wanting to sully this touching moment.

It felt kinda... awkward to whisper something to herself, so Vix decided to say something that probably meant something. "Obviously, because no matter what you are, you're still their friend."

Sudmensch

Pronouns
he/him
Dill stumbled a bit.

A human? Like... like Grandmaster Lucario? Like Lee the Lightbringer? This Oshawott...?

The Feraligatr didn't know what to think. What had gone wrong in Sal's world to warrant him? How long had be been lying to Sal? This Gen character was... well.

Yet as he looked down at the trembling otter, his apprehension broke a bit. He'd seen this before, in his own friend... it wasn't this bad, of course, but... he understood.

Dill squatted down, putting a clawed hand on Saltriv's back as he gave Gen as reassuring a look as his abominable crocodile maw could muster.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Splish, splash.

Tears fell to the ground, as Gen looked up at Saltriv.

This was it.

Saltriv glanced over at Vix. They were right. Even if they didn't understand why Gen had done this, even if they had so many questions...he was still their friend.

Gen glanced over to Vix. No matter what, they said, he'd always be Saltriv's friend. And...Saltriv probably knew this Vix person well. So...it must be true.

Saltriv glanced over at Dill, who was putting a hand on their back. Their smile became a little less sad.

He glanced over to Dill, who was giving him a reassuring look. The tide of tears slowed, just a little.

"I...I didn't think y-you'd believe me at first," Gen said, waddling closer to Saltriv.

"Why not?" Saltriv asked. "I know you'd just met me, but..."

"You mentioned...that h-humans were legendary. And...you already mentioned that p-platform. So...I thought you'd think I was just t-trying to seem important," Gen said. "I-I was so scared, and y-you were the only even s-slightly familiar thing I had left. I...d-didn't want to be alone."

The floodgates broke, and the sprinkle of tears became a downpour.

"A-and then Burhalla came...a-and I panicked, and lied, and then we w-went in the dungeon, and s-so much happened, a-and there's what Burhalla said about lies, and—"

Vines wrapped around Gen, hugging him. He hesitated...then hugged Saltriv back.

"It's ok, Gen. It's ok," Saltriv said, a soothing aroma coming from their petals. "I...it's a lot to take in, to be honest. But I'd never have abandoned you like that. And...despite how much Burhalla hates lies, I don't think he would either. We're friends now, no matter what."

"And...now that I know that was you on that platform...Thank you for saving me, Gen."

Gen...smiled. Things...they felt like they'd be ok. Saltriv was back, and they could help him find a way home—

Then the Hydreigon spoke.

And everything came crashing down.

He...he was supposed to be some sort of savior? No, no, that can't be true! He couldn't be some sort of hero! That...that was way too much responsibility for him to bear. He couldn't . And if he was some sort of hero...then...he probably wouldn't be able to go home until...whatever he needed to do was done.

He couldn't. That couldn't be right. No. No no no.

Gen's breaths became rapid, and the tide of tears rose once more.

"Gen? Gen, what's wrong?" Saltriv frantically asked, looking down at him as they hugged him tighter.

"I...I-I can't..." Gen said, sobbing into the vines.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Wow, uh, alright, he was freaking out now. Doing that hyperventilating thing too, which Vix was pretty sure was a bad thing. A thing she had absolutely no idea how to correct, since all Gen was muttering was that he couldn't... something. Couldn't what? Gen was scared to tell the truth, but he looked fine about that. The only other thing anyone mentioned anyone doing was... Buffet talking about humans being saviors, usually.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Vix didn't really know Gen, at all, but he looked like a scared, nervous kid. Emphasis on the nervous and scared bits; look at him wrong and the poor guy would probably shake fast enough to phase through solid objects. That's not... exactly the kind of person that would want to be a hero, right? Not from the look of it at least.

And, if whatever force that brought Gen into Saltriv's world had half the sense of anyone, then Gen being sent there was either a mistake, or there's something special about him other than being human. Although, if Vix had to bet on it... she'd wager that there was more to Gen than being the otter equivalent to a rumble pack.

But that was enough thinking, Vix decided. She crouched beside Gen, putting on a smile and gently patting the otter on the back. "Hey, uh, Gen... I don't mean to assume, but it kinda looks like you don't wanna be a hero. Which I can understand, this hero stuff is... difficult, and not everyone is cut out for it. But, and I hope this doesn't upset you more, I don't entirely think you were picked on accident."

"I really don't know much about you other than what Saltriv's told me, and from I heard, you're sweet and kind, and you apparently already saved them once. Not only that, but you also have a close team of friends who'd stick by you 'till the end. As far as heroes go, you've got a step up on plenty," she went on. "It might seem scary to be a hero, but you're not alone, you know? Maybe you weren't even picked up for some super big hero thing! Like... maybe you just have to show your kindness to someone that doesn't have any?"

God, Vix would have to pick up some wine and crackers to go with how cheesy that was...

Vix shook her head slightly, then smiled once more, a warm glow coming from her. "Basically, what I'm getting at is... you'll be alright with your friends beside you."

Might need to pick up two bottles instead, or start some inspirational quote generator....

Sudmensch

Pronouns
he/him
"I... y-yeah. What she said," Dill nodded.

On the contrary, he had no idea what he was doing. Rye was something, but this... a human...

Best he could do is try to pat Gen with an enormous hand, trying to calm his tears with quiet shhhs while the others did the talking for his big idiot maw.

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I'm sure you'll be a great hero!" Saltriv said, continuing to hug Gen tightly. "You've already gone through two mystery dungeons! And helped us defeat a Shadow Pokemon! You're already doing great!"

They...had their own worries about themselves being a hero alongside Gen, but that could wait until Gen was calmer.

As Dill and Vix patted him, and they and Saltriv tried to comfot him, Gen's tears continued to flow. He clutched onto Vix with one arm, holding onto Saltriv with the other.

"I-I don't want to be a hero. I can't. Being an O-Oshawott is so uncomfortable, and so weird, and I miss my home, I miss G-Goldenrod, I miss my f-family..."

"Gen, I..." Saltriv began, trailing off. What were they supposed to say to him? "You'll get used to it, the other humans did"? "All the other humans liked their new home better and didn't want to go back"? Three of them didn't even get a chance to go back. Even if Gen took care of the Shadow Pokemon problem, would he even be able to go home?

For once, they were at a loss for how to help.

"I-I just wanna go home..." Gen whimpered.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Vix nodded, not entirely sure what else to do with Gen holding onto her. "Yeah, like Buffet said. You'll be heading back home before you know it! Just like how Saltriv was brought to another world to save it! Imagine what you and your friend can do when you work together!" There was a chipper shine to Vix, and more of that warmth radiated off of her.

That shine, though, started to dim. "I... don't think you really have a choice in whether you can go back home right now or not. Which sucks for someone who didn't want this kinda thing in the first place. I've never been in your shoes, and the only humans I know or read about either learned to love their new lives or managed to return home by the end of their journey, so a human that despises being a pokemon is... new to me."

"But like I said, you aren't alone. You have Saltriv and Burhalla, and who knows how many more friends you have now or will make later, to help you get back home. Even if it's scary, or it feels like you're in over your head..." Vix dimmed ever so slightly, but put a smile on her face regardless. "Just remember what you're working for. Whether you stay headstrong in your quest to go home, or find that you truly want to be a hero, as long as you don't lose hope, you'll make it where you need to be."

Sudmensch

Pronouns
he/him
"...I understand. I wanna go home, too. But... you're a good Pokemon, I'm sure. You'll find a way. Just do what your gut says is right, a-and maybe you'll find your way home. I don't know how this human thing works exactly, but different universe, different rules, right?" Dill tried.

He didn't know what to do. This would be like if Rye were tasked with saving the world... ugh, that would be ugly. At least that would never happen, right?

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Saltriv...was still unsure if Gen would ever go home. And if he did...would it be selfish of them to not want him to go? They didn't want to say goodbye. Not after all they'd been through so far, and all they'll continue to go through.

So many thoughts ran through their head. And for many of them, they didn't know what to think of them.

There was one thing they did know with all their heart, though.

"It's going to be ok," Saltriv said, bringing Gen up to their head height with their vines. "I promise, it's going to be ok."

"...r-really?" Gen asked, looking towards Saltriv, face to face.

"Yep. I promise," Saltriv answered.

For a moment, there was silence. Neither of the two made a sound.

Then, Gen put his arms around Saltriv's neck, and the two friends embraced.

"I-I'm scared. I'm really scared. I...I almost died against that Krokorok. I barely know any moves. I-if I fail...will I never get to go home?" Gen asked.

"I'm sure, with all my heart, you'll succeed," Saltriv replied. "Everything is going to be ok."

Gen hugged Saltriv tighter, and they returned the embrace. Even despite everything, despite the lies, despite the secrets, despite the circumstances, they were still friends, no matter what.

"T-thank you, Saltriv. Y-you're a great friend," Gen said, a smile on his face. "A-and...D-Dill and Vix...thank you, too."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom