• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Rocky Road ~ House of Brisa, Dave, Koa, and Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Ng--" Owen slumped his head over. "...I guess I should have figured from who you're interested in," he said. "That was... Starr and Astrid, right? And I feel like you might have been interested in Aria, too, had, you know, things worked out. And they all have beans."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa chuckled, and loped past the big dumbass to close the window again.

"Datin' Starr, have a non-reciprocal thing fer Astrid, would absolutely take Aria to bed if she were game. And yes. They all got carpal pads. I feel like my type is more . . . gals with guts. Nutmeg could catch my eye, if I liked her personality. Jus' sayin'."

She raised a brow at Owen, and returned to the table, inspecting the scuff from his tailflame before selecting some more snacks.

"What were y'hopin' to shoot the breeze about, anyhow? I'd be delighted to have the pleasure of yer company fer a while, if yer anythin' like my fella. Owen's practic'ly my best friend. I'm sure we'll get along, 'specially with you not deceivin' me. Again. You were havin' too much trouble pretendin' t'be yer double to talk natural anyhow."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"But I was just talking naturally..." Owen slouched. "Maybe we're more different than I thought..."

A bit of time passed, then Owen decided to take another burger for himself--he'd bought three and marveled to himself about his other self's appetite--and said, "I guess one thing I want to ask is if the other me is, you know, alright. The way others talk about him makes me think he's way gloomier than he should be. I think I'm a few months behind him in the world I'm from, and, uh, that has me... worried."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa gave the question due consideration. Months, huh. A lot could happen in a few months.

"Yer future-shifted counterpart is okay. He's had his fair share of troubles on Cibus, and back home, but he's good at dealin' with 'em. He's one of our best, and if yer really that sim'lar to his recent self, then so're you."

She smiled at Owen, more genuinely this time. "I have every confidence in you, partner."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen smiled a little nervously, nodding. "Yeah, uh... Y-yeah." He sighed. "Guess I'll always worry about what's coming, but if he can still keep a smile, it'll probably work out. I know he and I have the same memories, though. Even the stuff that was buried away. Just, you know. It's sort of a shame that it's enough that I can tell, you know? ...I guess, when I think about it, I can see why. Lots of people he forgot about..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Kinda yer trademark experience," remarked Brisa, with some irony. "Along with bein' injured every which way an' comin' out hardly the worse fer wear."

It was strange to see Owen – he really was exactly like her Owen – look despondent in this specific way. For a guy only a few months further back in his personal timeline, he sure seemed much, much younger.

"Y'know, there was a time on Cibus where it seemed damn near impossible that we'd get a leg up on the other players in the whole Blacklight business, the whole lot of us were sufferin' from low morale, an' there was strife to spare... And despite all that, we made it through to this point. And I could hardly be more confident about the outcome. But I never coulda predicted how it'd turn out, nor so well, back durin' that lowest point. I like to think that the best of us keep risin' to each occasion, growin' stronger alongside others, until we get the chance to do whatever good we need to. If you, or him, ain't up to the troubles on Kilo as it stands? The day'll come soon enough when you are."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"The day'll come soon where I am ready..." Owen echoed this, weighing it in his mind, and then nodded. "Right. I guess that's true, huh? After all, he's still standing... Still ready to go back. He's not begging to go somewhere else, or anything like that. So that means there's still hope in making things work again... Whatever went wrong, at least."

His flame brightened a little. "I guess that means I should keep doing what I'm doing! Not that, eh, I'll remember anyway..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded. "Best of luck retainin' the growth ye've achieved in yer time on Cibus. I'm..."

Wishing everything will suddenly be different the next time someone calls you 'feral' t'yer face. That you'll have it in you t'stand up fer yerself without gettin' mad, givin' 'em cause to call you dangerous.

"I'm hopin' I'll remember that I'm worth folks' time as I am," she finished, the words marching reluctantly from her mouth.

Feels different, knowin' you'll be alone again.

Brisa grit her teeth. Goddamn, those were some barbed thoughts.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
But Owen's horns had been lost in the couch, and he didn't sense the subtleties. Instead, he frowned and said, "Hey, it's alright. You just went around and told me that we'll be strong, right? That if we could do the stuff we did, then it'll be the same back home. I bet you'll find something. Whatever it is."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa gave Owen a brave smile. No need to burden the cheery fella with the full context, really.

"I'll be fine," she assured him. "I can handle anythin'."

And hadn't she? Cibus' basic principles had been alien to her on arrival, but she'd integrated as well as anyone, survived everything the Blacklight had to throw at her, and made gods bite Colo dust.

"You can bet on that. And you can fuckin' bet on us defeatin' the Blacklight Eternal, too."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa smirked to herself. "Probably the same shit I pulled on you, if I know her."

She imagined her Owen would handle it better. Guy had more chill. And would be more likely to see it coming, too. He was still kindof an idiot about intimacy, though, bless him.

"He'll be fine," she said, smiling fondly. "I hope they have a good time, after whatever bullshit Aria tries on. Guy could use a break."

A break, huh...

"Guess all this is kindof a break fer you an' yers," she mused. "Fer the most part, at least. How're you enjoyin' yerself?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"It's been great, actually," Owen said, less cheerful, but still happy, as he tended to go. Brisa knew her Owen well enough to tell that this was genuine. "Before I got here, I asked Diyem how Cal was doing. She's fine. I mean--my Cal, that is. I think the memories she came from were different than this one's, though. She's a little more, ehh... mischievous. The one I had. She used to steal things from my bag and hid them in cracks in the wall. Still not sure how she did some of those..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa blew out air and hummed. "Y'know, I'm confident my gal Luz will be okay, but it'd be good to actually know. Or to have a way to get in touch someday."

She grinned at Owen. "You'd probably like her. She's one optimistic motherfucker."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa hid a roll of her eyes behind a swig of light cider.

"My best assessment of that fella, and I don't pretend to understand him all that well, is that he's gotta hold the world and all in it at a distance. More'n that, if he ever tried t'be earnest, if he could even manage it, it'd fuckin' shatter him into pieces. It don't surpprise me none that a guy like that wouldn't care fer yer brand of hopeful cheer."

She swilled some cider around for a moment, and sighed. "Yer future self had somethin' of a dynamic like that with our necrozma fella. Sardonic sort of bastard by th'name of Bahamut. You meet him yet? Hm."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I saw him, but I don't think I ever talked to him," Owen said. "Yeah, Mergo, he's..." Owen rubbed the back of his head. "For someone so close to Reshiram, it's kind of weird that he can't ever tell the whole truth about himself. Hope that doesn't come back to bite him one day, but, uh, he's kind of set in his ways. Especially for someone so young. I still don't really know all he's gone through..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Reshiram?"

Brisa's ears went up.

"Motherfucker's 'close to Reshiram', y'say? Gods' teeth, Owen, I don't think I've heard a more ironic thing this side of last winter." She shook her head clear and tried to elaborate. "Like I said, I didn't get the full assessment of him or anythin', but he was one slippery motherfucker. An' I heard somethin' from Dave about an encounter with him, an' it's clear the guy can't be direct nor honest 'bout the slightest thing. Ha."

She scratched her cheek, growling under her breath. That one encounter with him had left the worst taste in her mouth. Salt and sand.

"What do ya know about Mergo, anyways?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen closed his eyes again, thoughtful. He'd been fishing around the furniture and finally found his horns, which he snapped and clicked back into place. Breathing a sigh of relief at his senses returning, he said, "Mergo is someone who prepares far in advance. When he was first summoned, he treated it like a duty, and didn't try to make relationships he knew wouldn't last, especially if they, you know, got killed off, or they couldn't handle what was going on, you know? Kind of like what happened to some of the people here, I heard. Used to be more of you, right? And then they had to go, and echoes of them were left behind whenever Diyem was around, or something..."

He realized he was rambling and stopped. "Mergo tried to prepare for everything. He tried to analyze the weaknesses and strengths of everyone on our team in case we went rogue or got possessed, things like that. Other me said that actually happened here, too." Owen smiled fondly. "I remember how he wanted to put all of that to the test when he challenged me when it was all over. We left craters in the fields when we fought... And it was clear that he was exploiting weaknesses I didn't even know about. I think he wanted to prove that he could handle threats like this back home, even if he lost his memories of it.

"He, uh, he lost in the end. He took it pretty hard. I kinda had an idea of how to deal with foes that Teleported a lot, so I did a trick with my Bestow technique... I think other me did something similar here?" He shrugged. "Not that he's all serious. He also made sure to keep up morale by setting up parties, or getting us all to go to therapy to manage our Blacklight, things like that. It's kind of weird to think about him starting parties and team-building things because it's the utilitarian thing to do, but... he did organize a few of them."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded along, listening carefully, tailtip tracing patterns on the furniture.

"Sounds like we have at least a thing or two in common, I guess," she conceded. "Fella had a word or two t'say to me 'bout his predicament of bein' on this Cibus, neither one self nor the other. If he's an obsessive planner and a utilitarian type, I can't say I envy the experience he's havin' right now. Y'know, compared to, say, yer own experience."

She wondered if Miracle Owen had spent any time with Spectrum Cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom