• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Poppin' Arms ~ Training Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Complete and utter silence, but Owen's expression didn't change. He, indeed, knew. But perhaps that also was why he was puzzled--puzzled that, despite knowing this, Brisa still came here. Alone.

"...Diyem doesn't know, either," Owen said. "It's something not even he can see. I've never spoken of it in our telepathy, and he doesn't pay attention to me anymore. I'm too cheerful. Too responsible. So... I don't think he's eavesdropped on me at all."

Because he'd eased Diyem into a sense of security. How could Owen be worth speaking to about anything if Owen didn't go through first? He was a chatterbox, after all. Owen told everything. Everything except this.

"If he finds out, I think he might kill me," Owen replied, smiling a little. "I don't think I'd blame him."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
The fear in Brisa's chest spiked at that. No, no, he wouldn't. Or if he would, it wouldn't really be death. Owen would just... He'd return to his world. He'd leave you.

"Do you... D'y'know if he listens t'me much?" she asked. "I uh..."

Y'think about how much you love people all damn day, of course he fuckin' hates eavesdroppin' on you. Besides, he knows you'll be more cooperative if he stays outta yer head.

"Actually, I'm pretty confident he doesn't," she muttered. "And I won't tell him 'bout this." She smiled back at Owen, though it was a strained, worried smile. "But... Y'gotta have a plan, right?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I don't." Owen shook his head, not dropping that smile, as he turned his attention to his feet. He curled his flame around, where a little black ember bobbed around in the orange. Perhaps that was Wishkeeper, or perhaps that was just his permanent Perceive.

"There's no telling what will happen to me one way or the other. I'm weighing my options. What happens if I approach Soda and he turns me against the team? What happens if I start acting like the false S'more, or anyone else under the mastermind's control?" Owen looked down. "But... I can't do that to Cal. I can't do that to everyone else. I just need to find a way out of it. That's why I haven't told anyone. But after what happened with this Soda stuff..." He squeezed his fists. "The longer I wait, the worse I'll look."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"I'll stick my neck out fer you whatever anyone says," said Brisa, without hesitation. "As fer what to do... I might have a couple ideas."

She rubbed her chin with her paw in thought as her tail traced her mnemonic circular patterns.

"We could take you to the experts in psychology an' technology, see if they can find anythin' with yer own powers helpin'. I could interrogate the Soda substitute myself, learn what I can. And..."

She winced.

"Don't much care fer this concept, and I ain't even sure I can pull it off. But I could keep hold of a capture capsule in my bag fer emergency use on ya if'n y'were ever to flip into that state S'more entered."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Oh." That one in particular broke Owen's thoughtfulness and he glanced away. Some of that old Owen surfaced again, looking embarrassed. "Er, about that..." He slipped a hand into his bag and pulled out a capsule, showing it to Brisa. "...I already have one for myself. I realized it's better than a flame veil at night."

A beat of silence.

"...And it's cozy..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded and gave Owen a begrudging frown of understanding.

"Ain't really my thing, but I'll be honest, nothin' surprises me 'bout you no more, partner. Anyway, ah, it's an option. I'd just have t'be faster'n you in an emergency scenario, I guess."

She skewed her mouth and tilted her head in thought. "I'm gettin' real fuckin' fast, lately."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Fast?" Owen asked, but then thought back to her other proposals. "To be honest... I think I already know everything I need to from Soda." He looked down. "Maybe he'll cooperate more if I'm around, but a lot of it is adding together. I guess confirmation would be nice. But if we're going to confront Soda... We'll have to tell Diyem, too. He won't... kill me on the spot, at least... I hope."

The great Charizard heaved another sigh. "I just haven't felt myself lately."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Yeah. I gotcha."

Brisa sighed. "We gotta talk t'Diyem anyway, 'bout that shit we discussed at Zekrom's place. I meant every word in there, y'know. Team's fuckin' organisationally dysfunctional. If y'wanna separate out the, uh, sleeper agent thing from that we can have that talk without Pop and others around. It's yer call. I'll trust yer judgment."

She met Owen's eye, if he'd meet hers. "I've got yer back, y'hear?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen nodded. "I do. I think we should talk to Diyem first. Just us. See what he thinks. Then we can tell the others... This is one that everyone should know." He unclenched his fists. He still didn't feel right. Talking about it was supposed to make it feel better, but there was still this feeling... Building up. All this irritation, he really wasn't himself, was he?

"...What made Wishkeeper audible to begin with?" Owen mumbled aloud.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa shrugged. "Any number of things. Yer Blacklight developin', the stress of keepin' yer feelings bottled an' containin' yer Perceive, yer encounter with more exotic energies in the Tree, yer 'threshold of power' y'mentioned earlier... Any of that intuit as plausible?"

She furrowed her brow. "Are y'even sure he'd be audible to everyone with Blacklight?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I didn't want to test it so soon," Owen admitted, looking up. "I can't believe how much he said because we just..." He shook his head and dismissed it. He returned to meditating. He still didn't feel calm. There was an itch, and not just one for battle. In fact, he didn't feel much of a need for battle right now, which was a rare and surreal feeling that he didn't know how to tackle in and of itself.

"...Brisa," Owen said. "Can we spar? Right now? ...But... it might be a little weird at first. I'm feeling off."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Whatever y'need," she replied. "I figured you might wanna let loose somehow. Show me what ya got."

Brisa's fur ignition was a little smoother this time. The burn... felt different. She shivered, shook off the feeling, and built up charge.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"...That's just it," Owen said, slowly getting to his feet. The flame on his tail didn't look like it was ready for battle. But it also didn't look afraid of battle. White sparks surrounded the dark shadows. Owen stared at Brisa like they'd just met. "I don't feel like letting loose."

Then, he gestured for Brisa to strike first. His stance wasn't the same as it usually was.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Interesting.

"Have it your way, fella."

Brisa focused on her ideals, drew on the intent to push herself to her limit, and felt the potent mix of joy, pain, and electrical current that accompanied a Brilliant Paragon.

Then she kited Owen, looking for an opening, wary of his stance . . . and struck, with a paralysing Thunder Fang.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen weaved to the left, dodging it with his usual grace. He often dodged the first attack, but Brisa was ultimately much faster, and followups forced his Protects. So far, nothing seemed abnormal with the routine itself, but still, the stance was wrong. Owen usually readied himself in one way or another.

He narrowed his eyes and conjured a few Stored attacks, but they did not bubble with the same flaming energy as usual. They looked pure and basic and weak. Was that nothing but raw elemental energy? Was Owen even trying?

"Sorry, keep going," Owen said, knowing this was underwhelming and unnerving. Owen's mind was elsewhere, like he was listening to a distant conversation.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"As y'say, partner."

Brisa conserved her energy, using little darting Quick Attack jabs to pop Owen's defenses and force him into taking a hit or two. Nothing serious. But it'd certainly build up an immobilising effect.

Some shit's gonna happen, you know. This is Owen we're talkin' about.

Didn't matter. So long as she could help.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Despite everything, it did not look like Owen was trying to deceive Brisa. He was as lost as she was, in a way, and they both wandered together in this strange dance. The occasional hit did not bother Owen; his Demonic form was far away from him, and so his defensive measures were solid. He formed a few more Stored attacks, then narrowed his eyes again, disappointed, frustrated? Something wasn't working and there was an inner fire telling him that he'd done it wrong. "It's not enough," he murmured just as he'd blocked one of Brisa's jabs.

He snapped his claws and the Stored attacks disappeared. They reappeared around Brisa and combusted all at once, every single one hitting her unavoidably. Owen was always precise.

Yet, he hadn't switched to Demon. And, therefore, the attacks barely hurt.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa weathered the hits with gritted teeth. She was doing okay, but the pain of the Paragon – it's twice as hard when yer alone, ain't it? – and of her Arcflash burn had worn her down already.

"I can go plenty harder than this if'n y'give the word, Owen," she growled, catching her breath a moment.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I think you can," Owen said, but then he did something strange. He gestured toward her, and a golden light channeled from him onto Brisa, revitalizing her. Owen, too, looked revitalized.

There was a glint in his eyes just then, and a smile twitched on his face. "...Could that...?" He nodded at Brisa. "Okay. Hit me with your best. Right now."

This time, Owen went into a familiar stance--one for evasion and defense, and was often followed by a counter. There was just one problem--Owen lacked anything in his arsenal. Nothing was Stored...

Did Owen's wings flash just then? It looked like the membrane was aflame with Blacklight...

Owen's eyes spoke to Brisa. Guess we'll find out together.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Was this that threshold of power he'd mentioned? Well, pokémon so often grew into new powers and abilities when pushed.

Brisa would gladly give Owen one hell of a push.

"You got it, Owen," she answered, Blacklight and electricity surging in her body.

Brisa used Brilliant Paragon!
Brisa used Void Arcstrike!
Brisa used Blacklight Z-Burst!
It's Ultra Effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom