• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Soaring Over Heaven

Bonus Story: Winter's Union
  • Z102eternal

Bug Catcher
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    Well uhh, Merry Late Christmas I guess. This was supposed to be posted earlier, but I got hit with last minute writer's block. My apologies. This is a bonus, dubiously canon short story idea I decided to do since I wanted to be festive! It's not meant to be taken seriously and it has a few formatting errors, but I hope it will tide everyone over while I finalize the upcoming next chapter! Till next time! Happy Holidays!

“Well this is u-unexpected.”

Maxim took a good look at the scene before him. Slanted roofs and cobblestone streets now blanketed in snow as the sun rose over a new day.

“A-ACHOO!”

Even being snuggled between comforting sheets inside of a warmly lit cabin didn’t spare the former human from the chilly air. No doubt due to the unique properties of his new body.

Damn that voice again! Why couldn’t they give me built in cold resistance? Even a slight chill leaves me shivering for warmth!

His partner, spread out across a bed on the opposite side of the room, yawned as she stretched up. “Can’t be jealous of you grass types in this kinda weather. I’d be beside myself if I had to wrap up everytime I put a foot out the door!”

Maxim groaned as he stared out the window again. When the crew had needed to make a brief stop for some specific materials, they had decided on a small, rural town that thrived off its unique lumber. The crew’s mechanic, Hestia, decided half of the crew would need to be off the ship while her team got to work, forcing them to stay at local cabins for the time being. While checking out the village, they had learned the place was also full of grass-types and fire-type pokemon who helped the former keep warm through the cold. Lucky for them, but the poor Rowlet didn’t have that luxury!

Rene was already at the door, scarf and bag present. “C’mon now, can’t be hidin’ away in here all day!”

With a sigh, he put on his scarf, tied it as tight as he could, and slipped out into the cold side by side with his partner.

As he passed through the village’s main street, Maxim took note of the residents. Pokemon of all shapes and sizes moved from store to store, piling on gifts, food, and other items into wagons or carrying them all by themselves. Red and green fabrics decorated various pokemon, with plant-like pokemon having a red scarf radiating heat wrapped around their bodies. As a Leafeon with a red stocking around one ear rolled a cart past the two, he leaned over to Rene.

“Huh, what kind of celebration are they doing here? Seems quite festive.”

Rene raised a brow. “Wha? Did your amnesia seriously make you forget about one of the biggest holidays in all the skies?” His silence gave her an answer.

“You gotta be- okay listen up! All these mons here are gettin’ ready for the Winter’s Union! Every year, pokemon get together and have a celebration involvin’ gifts and other junk for others. Got friends, family, a lover, whatever? This is the time to go all out for ‘em!”

He smiled. What a nice holiday, though he had a strange nagging feeling that it reminded him of something from his past.

She crossed her arms. “It started ages ago when some Delibird did a bunch of good deeds and got some Articuno to bless him with the power to deliver gifts. Think the guy’s name was Nic-Nicol-err… Nikolai, or somethin’. I dunno. Either way, there’s a legend where he comes on the first night of the Winter’s Union around the world to deliver presents and all that jazz.”

“That sounds..fantastic!” Maxim cheered with stars in his eyes. And it sounds really familiar, but I can’t place a bead on it. “Do you think it’s true?”

Rene did a double take before speaking. “What do you think I am, ten? Don’t tell me you think that myth is real!”

He rubbed the back of his head. “Well… Things are crazy enough for me to believe anything, haha!”

Especially in a world like this.

The weasel threw her arms into the air. “Yeah, whatever. If you wanna grab anything while we’re here, now is the time. Just don’t blow all your money on useless crap, got it?”

“No worries, I’m not the type to drain my wallet!” He saluted with a wing.

“Good. I’m goin’ on my own. See if you can find anythin’ of value here.” The Mienfoo sped off, diving into a surging crowd of shoppers. Guess it was up to himself to find something worth buying. As he scanned from store to store, he saw a Kecleon shaped sign that advertised dungeon items at a reasonable price. Sounds good to me!

Weaving in and out of traffic, the cold air began to aggravate him again. Despite how useful his scarf was, it wasn’t enough to counter his body’s natural weakness.

“Oh no! A-A-ACHOO!”

“Eek!”

A powerful sneeze caused him to lose focus and crash into someone, knocking them both to the ground. He got up first, shaking his head to focus his vision. A bag had been overturned, spilling wrapped boxes into the street. The poor victim, an Eldegoss, rubbed her head as she slowly rose.

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to run into you! You’re not hurt, are you?” The Rowlet panicked. A small frown was present on her face as she waved a leaf.

“It’s okay, young one! Nothing’s wrong with me. I got a bit distracted, but this old flower can’t be uprooted that easily!”

She began to pick up the spilled gifts, but Maxim flew ahead and scooped up a pair in his claws. “If you would ma’am, allow me to help you!” He placed the boxes into the bag before lugging it into the air. “The least I can do is help you get these home.”

“Oh young one, I’m not that frail! Are you trying to humor this old lady?” She chuckled. “But who am I to shun a kind offer?”

The Eldegoss went ahead, turning around to wave at him to follow. Being sure to stay behind without overtaking her, he followed the mon through winding road after winding road, finally reaching a small, yet well maintained wooden cottage just near the village outskirts. She opened the door and motioned for him to go in. The bag was large enough to make it a tight squeeze, but Maxim managed to fit it in.

The inside was simple: a few pieces of furniture here and there, a fireplace with simmering embers, and plaid painted walls with a few hanging ornaments. Towards a small enclave in the back, a small stand with a withered, yet preserved leaf caught his attention. Around it were stuffed pokemon-shaped dolls and silver trinkets.

“Woah. Nice place!”

The Eldegoss smiled. “Indeed! I always do my best to take care of this place! Have a seat and rest!”

Maxim felt relief as he collapsed into a silky soft pillow. Having to do all that flying in the cold air had worn him out. After a few moments she returned with a tray in hand. A small green tea kettle and matching cups were placed side by side on a nearby table. “Come on, young one! Mind enjoying a small refreshment?”

“Uh, sure. Though wouldn’t that be weird since I’m a stranger, Miss..?”

“I’m sorry young one, I didn’t introduce myself yet!” She giggled. “My name is Edia! How about yours?”

“It’s Maxim, ma’am. I’m a traveling sailor who was trying to shop around.” He glanced down at his teacup. Technically not a lie!

“Ah, so you head from island to island on a crew?” She raised a leaf with a giggle. “Did you stop by to take a break for some holiday cheer?”

“Err, not necessarily… It was mainly for business reasons for our crew. I do admit, I come from far away, so seeing this kind of celebration is a treat!”

Edia gave a nod in response. “Indeed! Winter’s Union has always been a big celebration for our little island! Years ago, me and my husband James, Gods rest his soul, would decorate our home to the brim! You should have seen the two of us! We were a festive whirlwind! Once he passed, our children offered to help every time.” The Eldegoss sank back into her seat. “But now, times have changed. They’ve all grown up and moved out to different towns and islands. By the time they could come back, it would already be the day of the Union. My neighbors were nice enough to offer to help this year, at least. But I’d hate to burden them.”

He frowned. Quite the little problem. No offense to his gracious host, but he doubted the aging grass-type could handle all of it by herself. As much as he knew he should probably be on his way before his partner got too annoyed, he couldn’t leave her alone!

With a raised wing, Maxim gave a small salute. “Excuse me, Miss Edea. I know it seems rather sudden for a stranger to offer his help, but I’m willing to try!”

The Eldegoss’s ruby eyes lit up like a candle. “You would? I’d hate for you to go through the trouble!”

“It’s no problem, ma’am! Leave it to me!”

Working side by side, Maxim helped to hang shiny ornaments and ribbons on the upper parts of the home while she handled moving the grounded decor. Lifting up bundles of fake presents to hang from the ceiling was also a non-issue due to his wings. As strange as his new body was, he was grateful for its uses every now and then. By the time the two had finished, the cottage looked more vivid than ever, nearly every inch covered in a mix of red, white and gold.

Edia twirled around with glee before hugging the Rowlet. He gave a blush that he was grateful to have buried away in her poofy “hair”.

“Ohh little Maxim! I haven’t felt this invigorated with decorating since Phillip was still here! If he were still among the living, I know he’d be over the moon faster than the emissary herself! Thank you from the bottom of this old woman’s heart!”

Rubbing the back of his head, he grinned. “No problem! It was a fun little exercise! As long as that helps you, I’m happy to be of service!”

Edia twirled in place. “I figure you’ll be on your way soon, but at least let me give you a small gift! Wait here one moment!”

He sat and rested for a few moments, wondering what she meant by a small gift. Soon, the grass-type came out of a small kitchen with a wooden box in hand.

“I originally had an extra amount saved in case of anything happening when my children and their families visited, but I have enough to last!” She opened the box, revealing a stash of freshly baked star shaped cookies! Black seeds dotted along their shape, while a nutty aroma filled his nose.

“Incredible!” He marveled. “These look delicious!” He took a chunk out of one and a sweet yet invigorating flavor jolted his tongue. Amazing! It had to at least be on par with one of Cardin and Hyde’s dishes! Quickly gulping down the rest, the Rowlet eagerly accepted the gift. “This is a fantastic gift, Mrs. Edia! I couldn’t ask for more!”

“Enjoy it, little Maxim! It’s in the spirit of St. Nikolai to give!” The Eldegoss beamed. “I do want you to do one more thing!”

He twitched. “And what would that be?”

Edia floated over to the stand with the preserved leaf. Gently rubbing it, she placed a small, worn out delibird shaped doll in front.

“Have a wonderful Winter’s Union.”

By the time he got back to the central plaza, the sun was beginning to set. With the temperature falling, Maxim knew he’d have to make it back to the cabin fast.

Cmon, almost there!

Over a hill with a winding dirt road, the cabin came into view. Feeling the frosty air nipping at his fingertips, Maxim sped straight into the cabin’s porch. The sounds of voices engaged in a conversation could be heard as he got closer to the door. He cracked open to peek.

There sat Rene on her bed, with several boxes and bags surrounding her. Drake, their captain, stood side by side with his first mate Signal, both wearing red scarves tied around their necks. Maxim attempted to gently open the door further, but the aged door let out a sharp creak. Everyone turned their attention to the nosy Rowlet, while Drake let out a small chuckle and placed his hands on his hips.

“Oh, Maxim! I was just wondering where you had flown off to! How did your little shopping trip go?”

The former human turned to his partner, who only crossed her arms. “It went alright. Got a bit sidetracked, and didn’t find anything of notice. Sorry!” He raised up the cookie box. “Although, I did get some nice little snacks, if you want any.”

“Ooh~! Quite delightful. Shame I’ll have to pass, but do enjoy yourself!” Drake winked. “I’ll leave you two for now! Hestia should finish her upgrades tonight and then tomorrow, we sail! Until then!”

The eccentric captain and his (mostly) silent companion exited the cabin. Rene sighed before lying back. “Talk about a day. I spent forever trying to get just a few damn seeds because everyone decided to pour in all at once! I sure as hell ain’t a holiday girl. What about you?”

He rubbed at his left wing. “Well uh, it wasn’t too bad. This village is a pretty nice place! I’d think I’d rather deal with excited shoppers than some of the crazier things in this world.”

“Hmph. Well I guess you ain’t wrong.” She yawned. “Ugh, I’m spent. Gonna tucker in early tonight. Till tomorrow, then!” Rene covered up and turned away.

Maxim resisted the urge to roll his eyes. I shouldn’t be that surprised. He did share the same sentiment, but the glow of town lights in the distance caught his attention. Sure enough, in the distance was a gargantuan tree erected in the center plaza. Ornaments and fabric wrapped around the tree all the way to a four pointed wheel on the top. The peak shined brighter than any star in the sky.

“That’s amazing!” He whispered. After spending more time watching pokemon dance and parade around the snowy landscape, tiredness began to seep into his feathers. With night falling, Maxim decided to finally hit the hay. Rolled over in his spherical form, the Rowlet drifted off to sleep.

….

THUNK!

Maxim’s eyes shot open as he hopped up out of bed. Looking around the dimly lit room, he saw nothing but Rene’s sleeping form and her gifts.

That couldn’t be my imagination, right?

THUNK!

No, no, clearly it wasn’t! The Rowlet frantically flew over to Rene’s bed, shaking her form with his talons.

“Rene, get up! There’s something on the roof!” He squawked. The Mienfoo only tossed and turned, swinging at Maxim with a stray paw. “Hell you mean…somethin’ roof? Probably nothin. I’m tryin.g… to sleep..”

“Rene, please!” He begged. “I don’t know what it is, but it’ll bother you regardless even if you ignore it!”

The Mienfoo rose slowly, stumbling out of bed. She hissed as she rubbed her eyes, before waddling to the door.

“I swear whoever this is, I’m gonna send them flying over the town.” Rene growled. As the pair cracked open the door and walked outside, the sudden chill of cold air slammed into them. Wrapping his scarf tightly around his chest, Maxim scanned around. Nothing was out of place, even when he turned to the roof.

“See, what did I tell you? A bunch of nothing! I’m going back to b-”

An object slammed into the ground in front of them, causing both to jump back. Right in front of them was a red sack, holding two boxes inside. Maxim’s eyes went wide as the moon as he looked up. Flying around was a delibird pulling a red sleigh. There was something off about the mon, as their body was covered in a metallic sheen, while their eyes glowed with a digital blue light.

“Mission complete. N1k0 unit 122523 has completed delivery. Moving to next location! HeehooHO!”

The strange penguin shot into the sky, faster than anything Maxim thought possible. While the sparkle trail they left began to fade into the distance, his partner was left stunned.

“Holy shit…you saw that too, right? I ain’t going insane, am I?” The Mienfoo blinked back.

A massive grin appeared on his beak.

“Sure was something, wasn’t it?”

A young boy’s eyes stared in wonder at the snowy landscape before him. While snow this time of year wasn’t unexpected, he had never seen it get high enough to almost bury the road a foot deep! Properly covered, he started to scoop up as much as he could into a ball. He grinned as he set his sights on his first target, an unsuspecting girl covered in a pink coat.

“I CALL FIRST SHOT!”

The snowball impacted the back of her knit hat, causing her to yelp.

“Max, you jerk!”

In retaliation, she quickly rolled her own snowball, tossing it full force. His grin grew deeper as the two went into full snow warfare. Within a few minutes, the victor became clear as the girl rolled over in the snow.

“No fair… You got the drop on me this time! How come you always get things your way? Even Santa gives you more gifts…”

The boy, chuckling from his victory, also lay on the ground, moving his arms and legs back to make a snow angel. “Sorry sis, I’m just that good!” He raised his head up to blow a raspberry.

“Now now, you two! Don’t mess around too much!” A mature woman’s voice called out from the driveway. “Both of you are precious gifts to the world!”

“That’s right!” A male’s deep voice echoed. “No matter how many gifts the two of you get, remember there’s not a better gift than having your family by your side!”

“Yeah, whatever! I’m gonna get Max back for this!” The girl growled.

“In your dreams!” Teased the boy.

The older man chuckled. His children were something else, alright! Clapping his hands together, he knew what he had to do. “Tell you what, how about we do some nice family bonding by building a snowman together? I have the rest of the day off, and I can think of no better time to spend it than with my greatest gifts of all!”

Both children perked up. “Build a snowman?” They both answered together.

The older male clasped his hands once more. “You betcha! Now lets gather up the snow! Maxim, make sure to grab the bucket out of the garage! Laura, help us get some accessories!”

As all three got to work, the older woman giggled from the side. Even with the frigid breeze slipping through the neighborhood, the warm feeling in her heart remained unchanged. Christmas came and went, but the love the family made sure to stay behind.

….

Merry Christmas, Maxim.

Top Bottom