• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Chapter 37: Savior

Sarnick18

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
He/Him

Chapter 37

Savior

That's when she said,

"I don't hate you, boy, I just want to save you

While there's still something left to save"

That's when I told her,

"I love you, girl, but I'm not the answer

For the questions that you still have"

- Rise Against

I​

“Pitiful, that you even think you have a chance. Now please listen to-” Ninetales cut off Giovanni and threw flames that mixed with Charizard’s second attack of Flamethrower. Both rammed into the still-standing light screen, disappearing Giovanni completely behind the wave of orange and blue.

“I am not your enemy! Look around you! Why do you think I did not attack Surge, in Vermillion. I left him alone so he could destroy Team Rocket there. Every Team Rocket leader is dead at your feet!” Giovanni said, raising his voice in irritation. The flames were thrown away when Ceurledge’s shadow ball gave a powerful explosion when it failed to penetrate the light screen further.

Mewtwo didn't move behind but simply watched, with his meager attempt to protect his master. “I have been trying to save-” Red didn't want to hear any more of his lies. The rage on his face mirrored the same rage that existed in Seth’s. His lip trembled as he pushed two whistles out, and Charizard’s bracelet flashed white. Seth noticed Giovanni’s gaze of understanding before he disappeared behind another explosion from Charizard’s Dragon Pulse.

“Enough of this, Mewtwo, dispose of them quickly.” Seth waited to be slammed to the ground, the invisible grip that psychic types used, but nothing came. Mewtwo simply stared at Seth, his eyeless helmet locked straight into Seth’s position.

Seth was standing holding Erin’s hand in a heavy forest. He was saying something to him, but he couldn't hear it. Most of the vision was obscured behind more trees. He was peeking out with foreign eyes to look at himself with Erin. What he noticed most was Erin’s smile; it was warm, and he felt that warmth coat over his body like a blanket keeping all the evil away. That happiness was now ripping out of his mind along with Erin’s smile and the woods.

Emily and Red were staring at him, mouths agape. “Did you guys see that?” He asked them.

“You can reminisce on your own time, Mewtwo. Dispose of them,” Giovanni said as the armor holding Mewtwo was exploding in electrifying color.

“Release your Pokémon now!” Seth commanded before Annihilape jumped out of his Pokéball, followed by Aggron and Espeon.

Mewtwo took flight like a powerful deity above them. Flames from Charizard and Ninetales were pushed aside towards the right, filling the void of the large ceiling. Aggron, simultaneously, pounded his fist into a nearby stone pillar. The grapeshot of rocks collided with a reflect that appeared in an instant. Cerledgle launched another Shadow Ball that drifted towards Mewtwo, but the purple sphere was crushed out of existence. Espeon had blood dripping from its nose as it attempted helplessly to use Psychic against Mewtwo, but Seth wondered if it even noticed Espeon's desperate attempts.

Annihilape and Hitmonchan took the initiative to Red’s second blast of double blows on his whistle. That rage in his eye grew more crazed as it was fixed on Giovanni’s. Professor Oak’s smiling face fanned the flames of anger. Each charged up towards Giovanni, moving undeterred under Mewtwo. Giovanni, no longer waiting for Mewtwo’s protection, released Seismitoad and Excadrill. Excadrill’s Metal Claw crashed into Hitmonchan’s arm, sending it flying back to the gym’s entrance.

Annihilape caught Seismitoad’s arm before it slammed into his left side. He then launched his fist up, trying to break its jaw before steel claws ripped into his pale fur, knocking him next to Hitmonchan.

Seth saw it and hoped that everyone remained discreet, not giving Scyther's position away. Scyther flew silently right up next to the ceiling, observing and targeting Giovanni.

“Psychic,” Giovanni commanded Mewtwo, gripping the Masterball tightly. Seth was surprised it didn't crack and crumble in his controlled anger.

Red walked closer to the stairs that led down to the dirt battlefield directly behind Annihilape and Hitmonchan. The rage in his eyes hit its zenith, gripping a small stone out of his pocket that contained a fire of every color. He whistled twice, the gem shining so brightly that the battlefield became hard to see past Red. Charizard stomped behind him, the bracelet that held the blue and black stone shining in unison and disappearing behind a raging orange fire that transformed into a hotter flame, illuminating the gym in a deep, cool, burning blue.

Everyone was frozen in stunned silence as Charizard, whose orange scales turned black, reflected the continual blue flames that raged on its tail and out of the sides of its mouth. The only person uninterested in the changing of tempo was Scyther, who was now centering above Giovanni.

“Psychic,” Giovanni began, and Mewtwo raised his hand, Charizard turned into a blur, leaving behind a cracked stone floor. The black and blue figure redefined with its wing smashing into Mewtwo, who didn't have any time to even react. The legendary Pokémon and its armor rocketed at an insane speed, impaling into the side wall and briefly disappearing from their sight.

Charizard gave out a loud roar before blue flames flowed down towards Giovanni and his Pokémon, knocking him back, perfectly under Scyther.

“Mewtwo, attack the boy. Psychic,” Giovanni commanded. Scyther was dropping down beginning his attack. Seth watched Red lift in the air and freeze Charizard in place facing Mewtwo. A silent scream failed to reverberate from Red, and Mewtwo moved closer taking control of the battle. Scyther saw this and slowed down, attempting to change direction to save his trainer.

“No!” Seth screamed. “Finish this!”

“I’m fine, Daddy.”

Scyther plunged down towards the now aware Giovanni. He jumped backward, trying to dodge, and Scyther's blade fell on Giovanni’s hand clutching the Masterball. The object that held control of Mewtwo sliced in half, along with Team Rocket Leader's hand.

Charizard roared out flames, cutting off the vision Mewtwo had with Charizard and his trainer. Both were freed immediately, and before Mewtwo could prepare any counter-attack, Charizard broke through his pillar of flames, and his head collided with Mewtwo’s helmet, flinging the legendary Pokémon towards the ceiling.

Giovanni dropped to his knee, clutching his mutilated hand. Scyther brought his arms down on his head. However, Excadrill threw his steel hands in front of Giovanni, protecting him from any more damage. Ninetales took the field, bringing more fire down upon them. Seismitoad gripped Giovanni and leapt to safety at the back end of the gym. Excadrill attempted to raise the earth in front of him to block the flamethrower. In a single moment, Scyther’s blades cut through its neck, and its throat squirted streams of blood upon its half-finished wall.

II​

Seth and Emily joined Red and their Pokémon on the battlefield. Together, they walked up to the remains of the Masterball. Seth kicked the shards into the dirt with no more interest than he would garbage. Giovanni’s death was what he wanted, not this pile of rubbish.

“No!” Giovanni's voice contained a raw, unnerving edge that echoed his lack of control over this situation. “That was how I would stop Johto from retaliating, from taking over!” But his anger was cut short, and he hid behind Seismitoad. He would not dare touch the button that would electrocute Mewtwo and reveal his presence.

Mewtwo softly landed on the ground. One shoulder plate was completely missing, and his visor was cracked open. It revealed a purple iris containing the pure black void of his pupils that carried all the pain his existence held. He looked at the ground beneath Seth and held his gaze on his shattered prison. A feeling of joy flooded into everyone's minds with incredible force. Mewtwo walked closer to Seth, and the armor disintegrated off of him with a gentle push from his power, littering the floor as he stepped even closer. A large scar was slashed on its chest.

Ninetales and Annihilape stepped forward, cutting off the path toward Seth, ready for anything. But an invisible force gently pushed them aside, and Mewtwo’s steps drew even closer. His hand stretched toward Seth, but Seth felt at peace. Even Red and Emily looked calm as Mewtwo was only yards away from them. Their Pokémon either stood or were pushed behind them, clearing his path. The hand that was outstretched had an unmistakable sleeve of a jacket dropping out of its grip. Before Seth could make the impossible connection, he and everyone in the gym were ripped into Mewtwo’s memory.

They were looking at their bleeding chests, feeling the uncomfortable bark of the tree on which they were resting. A feeling of scared loneliness and anger welled up again. Seth and the visitors of this memory, except for Giovanni, didn't know what, but Mewtwo was scared and running from something. That much was obvious. The trees surrounded him, making him feel trapped, claustrophobic.

A little boy with curly hair followed by his golden Vulpix stepped through the tree line and approached him undeterred. Mewtwo tried everything to scare him away with his telepathy, but the boy kept coming with a large smile. That happy beaming face made all the fear leave Mewtwo. Erin held out his jacket, the first object of kindness Mewtwo had ever received into his hands.

The blood-soaked jacket now rested in Seth’s hands. The gym came back into view—Excadrill’s decapitated head, his Pokémon, Emily, and Red—everything came back into view. But none of it mattered because in his hands, he held Erin’s jacket. He immediately brought it up to his face, took a deep breath, and sobbed loudly. It smelled of sweat and blood, but Erin’s scent pierced through it all and was so familiar. What was the greatest comfort of all was that his son’s scent wasn't foreign to him. His legs gave way, and he collapsed under Mewtwo.

A feeling of sadness took hold of all of their emotions. Mewtwo pieced together what happened to Erin, and rage soon overtook them all. The next moment, Mewtwo flung himself through the roof and into the night sky.

Giovanni appeared from behind Seismitoad, and scarlet light caught their attention when he released Garchomp. Red took a step forward, losing the innocence that so resembled Erin and was replaced with rage just as intense as Mewtwo’s. But Seth’s hand caught his wrist, stopping his advancement of revenge on Giovanni. Seth looked up to Red with tear-streaked cheeks that were washing away the grime collected through the ordeal to get here.

“Mewtwo is scared… angry… and alone. Go, Erin. Save him,” Seth muttered. His voice was still shaky from seeing and smelling his boy so clearly.

“We got it from here, Red. We will avenge Professor Oak, just like we will my sister, Seth’s family, and everyone this fucking bastard took. You're the only one strong enough to stop Mewtwo.” Emily placed a comforting hand on his back punctuating her words. Tears fell from Red, and the innocence returned to his face. He returned Hitmonchan, Scyther and Espeon and disappeared on Charizard. Exiting out of the hole Mewtwo created, leaving them alone to deal with Giovanni.

III​

Giovanni stepped into the center of his battlefield, Garchomp and Seismitoad walking beside him. His demeanor of confidence and control returned in the absence of Mewtwo and Red. “You do not realize what you have done. Years of planning to free our home have evaporated.” A light fixture fell to the floor, breaking apart with a loud noise from the deteriorating hole Mewtwo created. Giovanni stared at them unflinchingly, holding his blood soaked left hand. His face was emotionless, but Seth could sense the rage boiling underneath.

“My family is gone because of your plans,” Seth said in protest.

“You took my childhood, my innocence, and for what!” Emily yelled out. Giovanni, plucked a black and yellow Pokéball before putting it back like it was causing him pain.

“You claimed you care about Kanto, but watched idly by to our slow death from the security Johto provided you. After selling out our fucking army, my dad, in the war,” Seth continued.

Something uncharacteristic broke out in Giovanni, a laugh. It was a cold, mechanical laugh that cut through both of them, making the hair on the back of their necks stand.

“You think I was the traitor, that I led our army to perish under Mt. Silver. No, I protested that insane assault from the start. General Bruno campaigned for it, insisting it was the right course to end the war. He eventually convinced General Harrison, and I was outvoted. It wasn't until after I fully discovered what happened. After the report of the massacre, General Harrison was dead on the field, and Bruno was gone, only reappearing months later, replacing the absence in the Pokémon League,” GIovanni responded.

“So instead of continuing the fight to protect your country, you bent us over to fucking Johto,” Emily said.

“What would you have me do? I went left where nothing was right. Had I gone right, nothing would be left.” Giovanni took another step forward, closer to them, to the exit.

“I have nothing left,” Seth said, clutching his son’s jacket in his hand.

“You had the chance of a family because of me!” Giovanni shouted. “Johto was ready to slaughter us without any army to stop them. What else was there? I met with Johto’s generals and made a deal, imperialize us under the false flag of Team Rocket to keep the world out of their affairs. I begged them to let us provide a benefit to their country, sparing my citizens. That’s the only choice I had. That’s the only way our people could survive.”

“We haven’t survived; we have been strangled, sold, raped, and killed for the entertainment of Johto. You replaced a quick death with a decade of suffocation,” Emily answered. Aggron stood close beside her, preparing to protect.

“Enough of this.” He began walking towards the exit but was cut off by Seth and Ninetales standing in front of the stairs that led to the front doors.

“You don't get to fucking leave this,” Seth screamed, rage knotting in his gut. He didn't care if Giovanni had all the justifications in the world to commit the crimes he did. He had nothing left, and Giovanni would fucking pay for that.

“So be it.” A white light grew from over Giovanni’s mangled hand. A purple stone with an orangish red flame that hung around Garchomp’s neck radated in tandem. Dirt and purple flames surrounded the Pokémon until his large axe-like hands ripped its shell apart. “Garchomp Dragon Claw,” Giovanni ordered.

IV​

“Annihilape, Rage Fist Seismitoad. Open Ninetales to kill Giovanni,” Seth said.

Garchomp’s footprints left small craters in the dirt. It ran faster and faster, attempting to end Seth and Emily’s lives in an instant. Aggron stood in front of Emily, roaring at the oncoming threat, bracing for the immense power. The attack never fell on Aggron.

Seismitoad, too slow to catch or avoid any of Annihilape's attacks, braced itself. A grey fist wrapped in purple energy exploded on the side of its head. Its black and blue bump shattered in a bloody, oozing rupture. The force of the rage fist knocked it into the dirt away from Giovanni.

“Ninetales, Flamethrower!” Seth ordered. A red light formed around Giovanni, materializing his Gliscor, which caught the flames just as it did in the Silph Company headquarters.

Ceruledge crossed his blades, catching both bladed hands of Mega Garchomp.

“Aggron, Iron Head!” Emily commanded.

“Stone Edge,” Giovanni called from behind his terrifyingly powerful Pokémon. Aggron’s head was gathering speed, but his vision was blinded when blood splashed across his face. Sharp pillars of rock tore out of the ground. The rocks ripped through Ceruledge with minimal effort.

Annihilape severed Seismitoad's upper head from its body, its long tongue unraveling in the ground below amidst a pool of blood.

“No!” Emily shouted. Aggron regained its vision, drooping his head down to collide into Garchomp. The menacing Pokémon lifted one arm, attempting to bring it down on Aggron’s armor. It simply fell to the ground, not attached to any appendage anymore. In a last effort of strength, Ceruledge used a bitter blade, removing one of the many weapons Garchomp had at its disposal. Garchomp dropped its guard from the pain rippling through its arm. The moment allowed Aggron to slam the top of his head, digging his horns into its chest and launching Garchomp yards away.

“Close Combat!” Seth roared, hoping to get at Giovanni using Emily’s struggle against Garchomp as a diversion, but Gliscor was too quick. It caught Annihilape's wrist with its tail mid-attack and flung him, rolling in the dirt.

“Garchomp, Cauterize your hand wrist with Flamethrower.” It lifted its mutilated appendage, mirroring his master, and breathed hot fire on top of it without protest. The wound sizzled and hardened, stopping the blood flow.

“Seth, look at how many Pokéballs he has,” Emily said. Eight Pokéballs, all having white bottom holding up a black top half with two yellow marks, sat neatly on either side of his hip.

“Two are already dead. We have the advantage in numbers, but we have to do this together. If you fucking abandon me to go for the kill like you just did there, we are fucked.” She continued.

“Emily, I—” Seth stuttered for words.

“Shove it. Ceruledge, Brian’s oldest Pokémon is dead, and that's on you. Giovanni dies here, Seth, but only by doing this together, yeah.”

“Yeah.”

“Aggron, you got me, buddy.” She said, placing a warm smile on her constant defender. He nodded stoically and turned back to Giovanni and his newly released Persian. Gliscor was still hovering over him, analyzing every inch of his surroundings with his large yellow eyes. Watching every movement that Emily made when she released Ampharos.

“Annihilape, hang back and protect me,” Seth requested. “You ready, Ninetales.” She answered back, shooting a quick jet of flame to the floor.

“Should we release any more?” Emily asked.

“It's hard enough to direct two Pokémon at once. We will leave one each for defense and one each for offense. Like you said, we have the numbers. I trust you,” Seth answered.

V​

“Flamethrower.” Ninetales leapt next to Ceruledge’s corpse and unleashed flames, forcing Garchomp and Persian to make their move.

“Ampharos, Dragon Pulse on Garchomp.” Purple energy began building in Ampharos's mouth.

“Earthquake.” Giovanni commanded. With a single stomp on the ground, the gym's entire foundation shook. The lights above them swung back and forth. More debris fell from the hole in the ceiling. Ampharos's Dragon Pulse shot high, exploding into a glass window behind Giovanni.

Ninetales, attempting to regain its footing, was sliced along its back hip from Persian running at full speed. It turned around before the blood even started to seep into her grey coat. It sliced its claw into another shallow scratch on her right side.

“Stone Edge.” Giovanni ordered Garchomp.

“Ampharos, get back!” Emily yelled. Garchomp slammed another foot into the ground, and the earth cut out like blades. They dug in shallowly to Ampharos's gut, but she was able to avoid a lethal blow.

“Crunch, Garchomp,” Giovanni commanded.

“Iron Tail.” Ampharos's tail swung around with its body desperately trying to strike the advancing Garchomp. The red gem on her tail soared like a boulder in the air but stopped immediately. Garchomp bit down on the base of Ampharos's tail. With all its weight flung Ampharos in the air, slamming it to the ground with incredible power.

“Ninetales, Garchomp, now!” Seth said. She pushed through a third slash that connected just above her chest and sprinted towards Ampharos. She was ahead of Persian, but just barely, desperately attempting to get there in time. Garchomp began lifting its one claw in the air.

“Flamethrower!” Flames spilled on the ground beneath Garchomp. “Behind you now!” The continual surge of fire pivoted throughout the battlefield until it overtook the ground behind her. Persian’s fur incinerated and blistered its skin.

“Attack Ninetales, Garchomp.” Giovanni said. Garchomp ran toward Ninetales, its bladed hand raised up to begin its downward swing of death.

“Emily, help!” Seth wouldn't lose Ninetales; he felt stationary, unable to do anything to defend against the onslaught that was about to rain down on his wife’s Pokémon.

“Dragon Pulse!” Emily yelled out, but the pulsating energy struck Garchomp's left shoulder. He barely even noticed and the attack still persisted.

Without any order, Annihilape deserted Seth to attempt to attack Garchomp, to save Ninetales. Persian saw the opening and ran towards Seth. Giovanni didn't need to order it; it had practiced finding openings and finishing its targets before they could rationalize what happened. Red was oblivious, wanting desperately to save Ninetales. Emily, though, saw the white Pokémon charge on their right flank.

In a pivotal moment, Ninetales connected eyes with Garchomp, heightening all of its senses to a painful degree. His arm came down, but hesitation grew as all the sound and sight attacked it as a physical force.

“Aggron, defend Seth!” Emily commanded. Annihilape turned to witness his flaw. Persian was three yards away, its claws outstretched but collided with the cool steel of Aggron’s arms. It hissed loudly before dodging another powerful attack from Aggron and darting towards Ampharos.

The hesitation of Garchomp wasn't enough; he roared in pain at Ninetales, and his dragon claw connected. Ninetales' left side exploded with blood and pain.

“Annihilape, save Ninetales now!” A red stream materialized Rhydon next to Seth. The next moment, Annihilape was gone.

“Ampharos, attack Garchomp!” Emily called out. Another Dragon Pulse hit Garchomp square in the chest. He fell into the dirt, but a slice appeared along Ampharos's stomach. Persian had laid its cruel eyes onto its next target.

In the chaos, Ninetales was able to limp towards Seth, collapsing next to his feet. Blood fell freely down her beautiful fur, staining the unique grey-red.

“Thunderbolt!” Emily called out, hoping to stop Persian’s attack. It was no use; Thunderbolt was absorbed by the earth, missing its target.

Ninetales' chest was rising sporadically, and her eyes were cloudier than usual. Seth wanted to comfort her, do something, but all his mental energy was placed in this deathmatch.

“Close Combat that fucking Persian,” Seth said. Another cut appeared along Ampharos's thigh.

“Brutal Swing.” Garchomp swung his blade towards Annihilape. But he brought his body low, avoiding the attack and taking off closer to Ampharos and Persian. Giovanni's assassin Pokémon slashed Ampharos another time, grazing its throat, and as it attempted to turn around, Annihilape sunk three fists deep into its chest, sending it flying across the battlefield.

“Dragon Pulse,” Emily said, a weaker purple beam imploded on Garchomp, who brushed it off.

“Dragon Claw!” Garchomp used Annihilape's attack on Persian to close the distance against Ampharos. It took the back of its bladed hand, piercing deep into Ampharos's chest, lifting her off the ground.

“Crunch.” Giovanni ordered.

“Close Combat.” Seth called out. Garchomp sank its teeth deep into Ampharos's throat. Blood painted Garchomp’s mouth. A grey fist bludgeoned into Garchomp’s stomach. Ampharos's throat was freed, and Garchomp was pushed back. In a look of relief, Ampharos disappeared into its Pokeball.

“Night Slash!” A black void appeared around Persian’s claws. The darkened blades sliced into Annihilape's back.

“Haxorus, save Annihilape.” Emily said after releasing Brian’s final standing Pokémon to the field.

“Breaking Swipe!” Garchomp’s tail crashed into Annihilape’s side. He lifted into the air before rolling in the dirt back towards Seth.

“Annihilape!” Seth yelled, trying to get his strongest Pokémon back in the fight. It was no good; he was completely unconscious. Haxorus, making it into the fray, headbutted Persian, who uselessly failed to pierce Haxorus's thick hide.

Seth swapped out Annihilape for Noivern, hoping that his speed could manage to save Haxorus. Garchomp attempted to bring down a Dragon Claw on Haxorus, who blocked it with an outstretched hand. Haxorus swung its tail into Garchomp’s side. Persian leaped on Haxorus, biting and clawing at every weak point it could find. Its claws were movinging towards its eyes, but it was ripped off Brian’s Pokémon, carried away by Noivern.

“Dragon Pulse!” Giovanni called out. Garchomp was able to connect a hit against Haxorus, and in the moment of peace, unleashed a pulsating purple energy. It soared past Haxorus's head. Noivern threw Persian from his grip and built a Dragon Pulse himself to finish Persian for good. Garchomp’s attack exploded into the unsuspecting Noivern. He fell from the sky through the smoke in a mutilated mess.

Seth hoped upon everything that he was still alive but couldn't manage to check. He was too far to recall Noivern to his Pokéball.

Garchomp and Haxorus continued to trade blows. Emily continued to call attack after attack. It was futile; Garchomp was simply too strong and was slowly overtaking Haxorus's defenses.

Persian began leaping into action from the left of Noivern’s body. Corpse? Seth tried pushing the thought out of his head once more, but it persisted. Is he still the selfish asshole that will do anything, sacrifice anyone to obtain his needs? It doesn’t matter, he thought. Giovanni will die.

“Metagross,” Seth called out, releasing the Pokémon who stomped into the battle. “Psychic on Persian!” It stopped in mid-air, feet from resuming its assault on Haxorus.

Mega Garchomp, who was now toying with Haxorus, demonstrating his superiority, knocked him down to the ground with his tail. “Fire Blast!” Giovanni commanded. A ball of fire swirled into a living ball of death. It flew from his presence and incinerated Metagross’s steel frame.

“Persian, finish the Metagross before it recovers.” It leaped into action from Giovanni’s direct orders. The black void formed around its claws once more.

“Dragon Claw,” Emily and Giovanni said in unison. Haxorus's hand slipped off Garchomp's shoulder. All of the strength left it as soon as Garchomp’s arm ripped into his stomach. The end of its bladed hand gleamed in the light emerging from Haxorus's backside.

“Psychic,” Metagross barely recovered in time, desperately shaking the flames off its body. Persian hovered in the air, unmoving.

“Meteor Mash!” Seth yelled. Metagross's hands collided together with a force that echoed throughout the gym. Persian sat in the center of its hands, disintegrated on impact.

“Guillotine!” Emily screamed. With its last remaining strength, Haxorus gripped Garchomp’s hands that were submerging into his flesh. Garchomp tried to free itself but failed to get his arm out of Haxorus. In a final breath of life, Haxorus brought his bladed head through Garchomp’s throat. Its body collapsed to the ground, dragging Haxorus with it. Garchomp’s head was the last thing to land on the blood soaked dirt below.

“Psychic on Gliscor now!” Seth yelled out! Metagross, being the last on the offensive field, turned its gaze towards Gliscor whose wings froze still above Giovanni.

“Rock Throw!” Emily and Seth called together. Aggron and Rhydon ripped pieces of the ground out before launching them past Metagross. They slammed into Nidoking and Rhyperior, whose red light faded away from them.

“Vaporeon, go,” Emily said, seizing the opening to end Giovanni's failed assault.

“Megahorn,” Giovanni commanded Nidoking.

“Dodge it and use Hydro Pump!” Emily said. Vaporeon leaped over Nidoking’s glowing green horn, and a pillar of water collided into Nidoking's body, forcing him to the ground.

“Iron Head!” Seth called out to Metagross, who was facing a charging Rhyperior. The stone Pokémon caught Metagross’s attack and threw his body across the gym, sliding him between Giovanni and Noivern. Rhyperior charged again, his footsteps creating mini earthquakes, each powerful step thudding closer, closing the distance between them.

Thud.

“Vaporeon, Aqua Ring. Now!”

Thud.

Gliscor began to descend down upon Metagross.

Thud.

“Nidoking, use Poison Jab,” Giovanni commanded.

Thud.

Water pulled and swirled around Vaporeon tightly.

Thud.

Gliscor was picking up speed, about to rain down some horror onto Metagross.

Thud.

The poison claw pierced into the sphere of water, stopping inches from Vaporeon.

Thud.

“Metagross, behind you!” Seth yelled out finally noticing. He was pinned from the oncoming Rhyperior and Gliscor’s attack.

Thud.

“Ice Beam,” Emily begged. The water around Nidoking’s hand froze solid, trapping him completely at Vaporeon's mercy.

Thud.

Metagross turned around, catching Gliscor in a psychic just above the ground. Gliscor’s wings snapped in half, its body folded backward along with its tail and ears. Blood seeped from its orbital cavity. His yellow eyes dangled freely before also being crushed into the ball of Metagross’s desire.

Thud.

“NO! Rhyperior, use Stone Edge!” Giovanni screamed.

Thud.

A blade made of earth discharged from the ground and pierced into Metagross’s steel body, trapping him. Rhyperior's arms gripped his back legs and yanked. The joints holding Metagross together gave way, and the red eyes under its steel frame grew dark.

“Nidoking, use Thunderbolt!” The aqua sphere Vaporeon was swimming in shined brighter than any light that existed in the gym. The water fell away, dropping Vaporeon unresponsive on the floor. The ice around Nidoking’s arm was gone. His entire right arm, from the elbow down, was shattered in pieces in the dirt.

Seth held Torterra’s Pokéball in his hand, shaking uncontrollably. Nidoking and the Rhyperior stood in front of them, protecting the evil piece of shit.

“Seth,” Emily’s voice carried past his anxiety, and he looked upon her smiling, freckled face. “I think Vapoeron is alive.” A tear dripped down her cheek, and she put the Pokéball on her belt. “Let me see Torterra; you use Rhydon, and Aggron will protect us both. We've got this.”

“Yeah, we do.” Seth smiled back and threw the ball to her.

VI​

“Hammer Arm!” Rhyperior’s massive stone fist rained down on Rhydon. He used all his strength to block the unbelievable weight behind the attack.

“Earthquake!” Emily said. The ground under it and Nidoking shook with tremendous force. However, Nidoking’s beam of ice found its mark. The frost creeped along its shell climbing up the tree..

“Poison Jab, Nidoking.” Giovanni commanded.

“Withdraw!” Torterra fled into its protective shell, and a thump echoed throughout the inside. The poison ripped off the shell and fell into the ground, failing to penetrate inside.

Giovanni was gripping his last unused yellow-black Pokéball tightly. It looked as if it was red hot, causing him physical anguish to just hold it.

“Keep it up, Rhyperior!” Giovanni said. Rhydon, kneeling on the ground helpless behind the relentless beating of his evolved form. In Rhyperior’s hand was a chunk of rock that smashed into Rhydon’s face, completely knocking him to the ground.

“Attack the trainer! Now!” Giovanni’s cruel edge creeped into his commands. Aggron was ahead of him. Watching the fight, Aggron caught the attack. It splintered and crumbled beneath Aggron’s defensive might.

“Power Whip!” Emily called out, trying to turn the tides of the battle. Nothing came out, though. There was nothing for a mile in any direction that had anything his grass type could harness.

Seeing his opening, Nidoking fired a Fire Blast into Torterra's shell. Torterra screamed in pain, unable to guard against Nidoking’s advance. It took a chunk out of the ground, throwing it at Emily and forcing Aggron to abandon Seth. The green pulsating horn dropped down, waiting to pierce its target.

Rhydon turned, crawled beneath Rhyperior’s attacks. He was watching yet another trainer befall the same fate. He screamed, knowing he's too far. Seth prepared for his death, hiding behind his arms for protection. His eyes flickered white, and rock and earth surrounded him.

There was no pain. He peeked out of the safety of his arms to see Ninetales standing before him. Nidoking’s horn was buried deep into her abdomen. Ninetales turned its head to come eye to eye with Nidoking. The feeling of her blood pulsing intensified around its horn. The light invaded his vision. The intense sound of Rhyperior’s attack flooded Nidoking’s brain.

“Flamethrower!” Seth yelled out. The eternal blue flames roared out of her for the last time, incinerating Nidoking from existence.

Seth’s Rhyperior emerged from the shell of rock, and with a single swing of his arm, knocked Giovanni’s Rhyperior's head 20 feet away from its body.

“Rhyperior, finish this!” Emily called out, while Seth dropped to his knees on top of Ninetales.

“You think I am done.” Giovanni held the last Pokéball in front of him. “I alone can save Kanto!” He threw the ball as far as he could, to be anywhere but next to his own Pokémon. The red light glistened off the black and yellow Pokéball. The entire gym fell into a deep cold alongside Ninetales. All warmth evaporated from every spot except for Seth’s right hand that still clutched Erin’s jacket. Parts of the roof broke away, crashing to the ground . The emergence of the new massive blue Pokémon took up every available space. It flapped its wings, knocking more debris down while attempting to take flight.

“Articuno, use Blizzard!” Giovanni yelled out desperately. However, it took no notice of him. A giant beam of ice ran out of its mouth, freezing the entirety of the ceiling above them.

A giant flap of its wings launched it out of the building. Ice-covered debris rained down on all of them.

VII​

The summer air rushed in to fill the cold void Articuno left in its wake. Seth looked at the night sky, a giant beam of ice glistened in the moonlight before Articuno disappeared.

“Ninetales,” Seth put his hand into her fur that was matted with frost. Her chest was still, like the rest of Seth’s family.

“Emily,” He called. It was hard to see anything; there was so much destruction that imploded inside the large gym room. Piles of wood, light fixtures, glass, and anything else that made up the roof littered the floor. Torterra’s tree popped out of one pile. A wooden support beam stood tall in the faint light. Its half closest to the implosion of the center ceiling stuck in the dirt, desperately holding up the remaining intact roof.

“I’m fine, daddy.” Erin laid dead on the floor before being covered by more frozen falling wreckage. His voice persisted undisturbed.

“You couldn’t save him!” Sarah screamed in his ear, mixed with Emily’s cries for help. He took to his knees looking for her. A steel pipe rose out of Aggron's shoulder. Its steel plating weakened from the freezing air. He was struggling helplessly to free himself to save Emily.

“Seth!” She screamed out again. One of the wooden support beams above pinned her to the ground. She coughed blood while struggling, continual screams for help. Giovanni was getting to his feet thirty yards away from them. He had no protection, nothing that could stop Seth’s selfish rage.

“Seth… Please…” Emily begged.

“You couldn’t save him!” Sarah screamed again. But he could avenge him. Make Giovanni pay for contributing to Erin’s death. From taking all sense of meaning from him.

“I’m fine, daddy.”

Giovanni was fully at his feet, staring at Seth, completely at his mercy. More remnants of the ceiling fell, crashing on top of the wooden beam, crushing Emily. He no longer hesitated. Finally choosing the selfless path that was right. Even if it meant he had nothing left.

“I got you.” The wood was cold on Seth's hand as he tried everything to release the pressure, lift it far enough where Emily could escape it. Erin and Sarah's voices fell silent, fading away under his pounding heart as he took another attempt at lifting the frozen support beam.

“You’re here,” Emily said.

“Hold on.” Seth released Annihilape, hoping upon anything he had regained consciousness. His grey hands writhed under the wood. Blood was matted in Annihilape's fur, but he took no notice as both he and his trainer used all their strength to free their friend.

It finally gave, lifting a few inches. But the three inches were enough. Annihilape held it up, and Seth gripped Emily’s shoulders, pulling her free.

Seth turned his head to find themselves alone in the gym, surrounded by destruction. Emily’s warm hand gripped his face and pulled his body close to her.

“Seth, I am sorry.” She was crying with him. Holding each other close. Annihilape walked over and freed Aggron.

“I am okay.” He lied. Her hug was the only thing clinging to him in this world. He was truly alone and scared. Every path he ever took was wrong, selfish, hopelessly clinging to having something left. Emily’s warmth was wanted, needed even. But it was a cold void in comparison to Sarah's presence. It was a purely dark absence, replacing Erin’s smile. But he was truly grateful for her warmth all the same. It was far better than the coldness revenge had to offer.

Epilogue - Hollow

Sarnick18

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
He/Him

Epilogue

Hollow

It's hard to live this life

When you're feeling hollow

I start to fantasize

Not being here tomorrow

As I walk to the gallows

Breathing is shallow

I start to feel like I lost this battle

Try to realize

A new horizon brings tomorrow

- Execution Day

I​

The gentle spring breeze followed Seth into his kitchen. The smell of coffee filled his home, and the pleasant morning light danced off his unused counter space. Coffee was brewed at every hour of the day in the Golden Tails Diner. Without that, his home would be truly empty, devoid of anything pleasant. Did he deserve anything pleasant? He turned back towards the back door to sit in front of Sarah’s tree. Before reaching the door he turned around and shook his head. It had to be today.

The kitchen doors swung open, and he entered the dining area behind the bar. He passed the newspaper that rested on the counter by the cash register. It was beginning to build a thick layer of dust upon it. It didn't help that everything around it was clean. Seth just couldn't touch it ever since Emily came running into the diner months ago, slapping it down in this very spot. It was too much a reminder of his failures. Every time he attempted to move it, Seth cowered away in fear.

On top of the newspaper, it said, "Local Resident defeats Pokémon League. Bruno gets retribution!" Under the title, a picture of Seth was centered around Annihilape, Rhyperior, Torterra, Vaporeon, Ampharos, and Noivern. Noivern had severe scars along the side of his face, but he looked happier than Seth had ever seen him. With the exception of any moment when Noivern was around Erin.

II​

“Mr. Conklin, it's a pleasure. Please sit down. My name is Oliver Anderson,” a large border officer instructed eagerly. “We are so happy to have you.” The Olivine City custom house was incredibly warm, and the constant sounds of waves bounced off the walls.

“Um, thank you,” Glenn said, taking a seat across from the officer.

“This must be your daughter, Erin,” he asked, turning his gaze toward her.

“Yupporni!” Ava smiled pleasantly at the name, sitting next to her father.

“That's strange; in our reports, we had Erin listed as a male,” Oliver said, rubbing his fingers around his chin.

“Oh… well…” Glenn struggled to answer.

“All good, I understand. It's been quite a few years, but I have seen the abysmal record-keeping Kanto has kept. No worries,” Oliver answered for him. “Now that brings me to my next point. We are happy to have you, Mr. Conklin. Truly. A Pokémon trainer of your caliber is a wonderful asset for us. However, the 15 years of war Kanto has brought on us has…” He stuttered, trying to find the right words. “Well, I just wouldn't be announcing your nationality to anyone.”

“Understood,” Glenn said simply.

“Exactly my point. Look at this picture they have of you,” Oliver pulled up the picture of Seth centered around his Pokémon. “Kanto had to get a handsome, good-looking man to pose for your accomplishments. Despicable. I tell you, Seth doing this job for as long as I have, you come to know all the dirty secrets of this war. They are vile. I bet you couldn’t wait to leave.”

“Yes, do you know if we will have accommodations made for us?” Glenn asked.

“Of course!” His voice boomed. “You are a Pokémon master who has come to aid Johto. The government here will let you pick your city and get you all set up after we sign your paperwork here.”

“Sure, I understand-” Glenn began.

“Do you have any skills other than Pokémon training?” Oliver cut him off.

“Yes, I am an engineer,” Glenn answered quickly.

“Daddy works long hours,” Ava added, looking down at her feet.

“Well, I will try to help you out, kiddo,” Oliver said, giving her a loud smile. “Goldenrod might suit you well. But hey, you get the pick. Now, Mr. Conklin, the last thing I have to do for our League champion immigrants is verify with one of your champion Pokémon.”

“Of course.” Glenn released the one Pokéball he had on his belt, and Annihilape materialized behind Ava. She reached out her hand towards his. The eyes under his left scar eased holding Ava’s hand back.

III​

Seth strolled down the streets of Westgate, sipping his coffee. A child no older than three dashed past him, frantically trying to catch her Marshtomp. Her parents flew by Seth in pursuit of their wild child. His thoughts drifted to Erin, chasing Vulpix or Mankey around these streets, blissfully unaware of it all. A couple was moving their furniture into Harold’s old house. The flowers that commemorated him were gone, yet somehow, it looked brighter. The sadness of his death, marking the power Team Rocket had over the city, had dissipated. Evicted from the premises, gradually replaced by new items brought in by the happy couple.

A few doors down, Seth passed Samuel's home. He held a newspaper up, shouting to his friend Benjamin.

“Did you hear about this?” he asked Benjamin, peering above the paper, catching his friend’s rolling his eyes.

“If you talk to me one more time about Sabrina and the Kanto army, and this new mysterious chosen kid stopping Johto’s advancement, I am going to throw something at you,” Benjamin replied, annoyed.

“No, not that, about Lt. Surge.” Seth slowed down, choosing to listen to the news without engaging in conversation with Benjamin.

“No, what?” Benjamin asked, now intrigued.

“He was assassinated last night.”

“No way.” Benjamin got to his feet to look at the newspaper with his friend.

“Look right here, Lt. Surge, leader of Kanto, was assassinated in Vermilion City. The suspect, who was one of the citizens evicted from Vermilion, has been caught and awaits execution.” Samuel put the newspaper down, his mind racing.

“They're falling left and right, especially after Erika lost her battle with addiction,” Benjamin added.

The three-year-old girl, who was still outpacing her parents by a mile, accidentally ran into Seth.

“Oh, I'm sorry,” Seth said, looking down at the girl's bright smiling face. Tears welled up inside him. Her smile was so bright, but he felt hollow as he gazed into it.

“It’s okay, Mr.” She left Seth, already done with the conversation, and went back after her Marshtomp.

Benjamin saw Seth standing below him and gave him an awkward wave. He sat back down in his chair and disappeared behind a newspaper without reading a word. Finally, the girl's parents ran up to Seth, panting hard, trying to speak. Seth just pointed behind him and smiled to hide his envy.

IV​

The spring air continued to circulate throughout Westgate, and across Kanto, pushing away the lingering smell of death that had plagued the country for so long. The new air breathed life into many people who had fought hard just to survive. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough in the world to rejuvenate Seth. His body felt empty, a deep pit of loneliness and fear that worsened with each attachment he severed.

He pulled Erin’s jacket out of his pocket and held it, memorizing every detail, every fiber of the blood-soaked, tattered cloth. He had plenty of his son's clothes back home. For example, the Flapple toy Erin brought with him rested on Seth’s nightstand. However, this jacket held special meaning to him.

Erin's happiness radiated to everyone around him. He connected with Grotle, caught Noibat, and saved all those kids from the Hypno den. Erin calmed down Metang and gave him life and meaning after his trainer, Ben, died. Erin was the the winner of the Soul Badge. He was the most selfless being Seth had ever known, and he died because of his father's selfishness.

Seth hid his tears in Erin’s jacket, breathing in his son’s familiar scent, but it only intensified the pain. The sun penetrated the blooming tree branches in the woods outside the city, warming the path where the sounds of Pokémon created a peaceful harmony. A Deerling in its spring coat pranced in front of him on the path and then skipped away.

Torterra emerged in the forest, looking around and savoring the pleasant air. The Pokéball dropped from Seth's hand and shattered as he stomped it into the ground.

“Thank you, Torterra,” Seth said to the puzzled look on Torterra’s face. “I'm so glad you were Erin’s first Pokémon.” Torterra took a step towards him, the scar on his side under the shell finally healing over. He still missed the rocky horn on the left side of his head. “No, Torterra. Go.” Torterra took another step towards Seth, wanting to be with him. “GO!”

Tears leaked down Torterra's face, mirroring Seth's. He finally turned away, disappearing into the woods where they had found him. Grotle was alone without his mother, and Erin was there to save him. Now, Seth was alone without his son and no one was there to stop him. He desperately wished someone could.

V​

A teenager stepped onto the snow-covered ground beneath the Mountains of Mt. Silver, with a thousand Johto troops marching behind him. He wore a red jacket and a black and gold cap, set backward on his head. In one hand, he held a Pokéball, and the other rested on his Typhlosion.

"Are you ready?" Sabrina asked Red, her heart pounding in her chest, just like every soldier behind her. Unlike them, she wasn't scared—she was excited to finally have a challenge.

Red turned toward Mewtwo, placing a hand on his scarred chest. Ho-Oh emerged from the Pokéball, creating a ball of fiery chaos that melted the ground around them.

Red shifted his gaze toward the Johto challenger and blew his whistle twice.

VI​

Seth walked through his backyard, the high noon sun casting its warm glow on the blooming tree that overlooked Cerulean City. Noivern emerged from his Pokéball, its scars stretching from its back along the side of its face. One part of its wing was mutilated but had healed enough to serve its final purpose for Seth.

"Will you do me a favor?" Noivern brought its face down to Seth, signaling its acceptance. Seth dropped the final empty Pokéball that housed Noivern into a package and tied it to its foot.

"I was going to tell you to go to Vermilion City first, but I think you should go to Saffron and meet with Sabrina. She will be at her gym, okay? When you get there, give her this letter." He tied the second letter to its other leg. "Sabrina will get you a navigator to Emily. She is doing something in Sinnoh for Lt. Surge." Noivern gently butted its head against Seth's and flapped its wings, leaving Seth truly alone.

VII​

"We're almost there," Cynthia said to Emily. The boat skipped along the waves, approaching the island. It rose out of the water, illuminated only by the stars, without any aid from the new moon. Emily sat between Aggron and Vaporeon, looking up at the island.

A hiss carried over the waves, catching both their attention. "What is that?" Cynthia asked, looking at a large Pokémon flying towards them.

"What the actual fuck!" Emily said, disbelieving. Noivern landed on the ship and tackled Emily lovingly. "Why are you here? Where is Seth?" He looked down towards the package tied around his leg.

She pulled the package apart and found Noivern’s empty Pokéball and the deed to the Golden Tails Diner. She broke apart on the floor, holding a small scrap of paper. “Thank you for everything. Much love. Seth.”

"I should have been there." Her cries were carried out, absorbing into the dark water below. "I shouldn't have left him."

The boat docked at a small wooden harbor that creaked at every step. There was not a single Pokémon sound around them; the whole island was completely still. “My great-grandmother Cogita set up this preserve for them after they were hunted to near extinction.” A few Darkrai emerged from the ground, their white smoke-like hair appearing before their bodies lifted out of the ground. “He will be very happy here.” Emily's tear-stricken face looked at the Pokéball before releasing Darkrai to his family.

"Now, let's talk about the aid we can provide Kanto on the way back." Cynthia smiled but failed to lift Emily’s spirits. She was in the most necessary place to save her country but in the wrong place to save her home.

VIII​

Seth sat beneath his wife's tree for a while, contemplating his last selfish act. He read the words he had etched into the monument:

"Sarah Conklin, Loving wife & incredible mother”

"Erin Conklin, If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever."

“Ninetales, a true guardian of this family.”

The sun completed its journey across the sky, making its last attempt to breathe life into the day, and Seth's feet gently swayed.

Top Bottom