• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Once a Thief

Arukona

A Scribe Penning His Brainworms
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. sceptile
Welp, Review Tag's up to be claimed over at United and there's one chapter newly released since last I visited here. So let's check it out and see how our not-quite-heroes are faring this time around.

(I swear, one of these days when I claim that Review Tag it'll be Fledglings being reviewed. Alas, not today.) :sadbees:

Chapter 23

Could be my prog rock brainrot speaking after listening to that kind of music on loop while doing my uni essays, but my first thought upon seeing that chapter title was the Pink Floyd song of the same name. :mewlulz:

Ah, so Lacan plans to use the thieves of Newangle City to lure Team Forager to the library. A good way to delegate duties, especially when as much monpower is needed on the frontlines. (Or maybe not a good way when you consider these are thieves we are dealing with. Then again, I'm gonna hedge a bet now that Lacan could well cut off contact with them immediately once they're done with this job. It wouldn't do if the venerable Graf von Wellenhafen was seen with a band of thieves, now would it?)

Back to the present, and if the cliffhanger from last chapter was anything to go by, looks like our gang are in a tight spot.

Gods, this just wasn’t Lyle’s day.

When has it been his day? Because every day thus far with him in the story has felt like a right ordeal. Now I'm honestly curious as to when the last 'good day' he had was, where he didn't have to worry about anything or anyone.

“And just who are you jokers supposed to be?”

Missed opportunity to include a reference to one of the most iconic lines of a certain redhead. :copyka:

Interesting way for Dalton to just conjure water like that for his Surf attack. Oh well, what works works. And the way it combines with Lyle's Smokescreen proves the two of them do work well as a unit.

Gottverdammt!” Kate cried. “Can’t we catch a break?!”

Fate:
a37.jpg

Reshiram’s Fur, Icy Wind was supposed to slow those two down!

Doesn't mean much when one of your enemies has a projectile, Lyle.

Oh, the Roly-Poly Caravan's back. Though somehow I get the feeling they're not gonna easily forget the raid carried out on them many chapters back...Still, anything to get away from these two ruffians.

A new Crobat character, eh? Interesting - I wonder that their deal is?

Her garb carried some sort of shade like the scarves they stole off that ‘Team Pathfinder’, except at the center was some sort of strange crystalline design with hue that reminded him of lavender flowers—a pointed rod, overlaid by a diamond circumscribing a pair of concentric hexagons.

Reference to something spotted, although I'm not sure what exactly it is.

Neat that the Heavy Rotation Specs doubles in this world for the swirly glasses that some Nopon wear (like Muimui from XC2). And nice reference to Pupunin as well. :quag:

“This is the Möbius,

Well, if that isn't a name that strikes fear into the heart of anyone who's played Xenoblade 3. Although I don't quite know if this establishment is anywhere near the threat that Moebius were. Still, I wonder - could the name imply that this inn is a place of shady dealings?

Neat way for Kate to improvise and get Team Forager out of trouble like that by roping Igna and Ansel in with their room booking. Even if it does mean them getting a little less for their money as a result. :sadbees:

Also I just realised the Crobat's a walking (flying?) reference to Consul X. Nice reference there. :quag:

The sighting of Team Forager by the Roly-Poly Caravan isn't going to bode well at all. I guarantee it. The links are gonna be made back to the robbery all the way back at the beginning of the story, and our gang is gonna be tracked by them for that. (Granted, not that they already are by the Grünhäuter.)

And now over to Sophia, who's carrying out her own duties.

The statues that stood guard over the approach to the steps up to the Royal Reliquary came shortly afterwards. First came the four founders of the Generalstab, their bodies all in Awakened states much as if they’d just consumed Empowerment Seeds. King Sansa of course was among them, as was the Absol statue of his trusted confidant, Alweiss the Seer. Then came the Tyranitar and Blaziken statues of Feldmarschall Pritchard the Giant and Feldmarschallin Laulan the Armorer.

Ah yes, I recall seeing this teaser in your fic forum over at Diner. And I'm glad to see you kept it in the end. Absolutely adore the blatant reference, and good species picks for the 'mons in question to resemble the in-universe equivalent of Zanza's Trinity. :veelove:

Welp, looks like this Herr Friedrich fellow bit the dust some time back. RIP. :sadbees:

“I suppose it could be forgiven, since none of us here expected the ‘Der
Hoffnungsträger
von Silberstadt₆’ to be ripped away from us and the neighborhood he so loved.”

I think this part might be a formatting error given how the line suddenly jumps downward.

Von jetzt an werde ich dich beschützen. Ich bin bei dir. Für immer!

I get the feeling this vow is going to be sorely tested at some point in the future, where Lacan's efforts to protect Sophia will be in vain and our resident Corvisquire could well go the way of M.

The way they're talking about these artifacts makes me imagine at least one of them is going to be relevant in the relatively near future. Just had a thought - I wonder if a certain spherical white and/or black stone is among them? Because that would be interesting if the Team Forager gang happens among that and Irune ends up reacting to it. :copyka:

Now back to the Möbius, where the gang stick out like sore thumbs. Probably few allies to be found here. Also the inn being paired with a playhouse - I see what you're poking at here. Hopefully the gang doesn't wander in on a Malamar soliloquising about 'the endless now' (though I don't think Wander's quite at that stage yet) while watching the scenes of a battle raging on the frontlines between Varhyde and Edialeigh.

“No, but we’re at least in some sort of neutral ground, so we should be fine as long as we don’t cause trouble,” the Heliolisk replied.

Pressing X to doubt they'll be fully safe here, because trouble and Team Forager seem to go hand in hand. Especially after what happened at the last inn they were in, where they got out unscathed, but Kate and Dalton getting drunk did not help matters.

affording a brief glimpse of a Togedemaru almost the size of an Electrode

I see we have an Alpha 'mon on our hands. Must be the leader of this crew.

“Regional Leader Baan not have time for such nonsense,” the Togedemaru inside scoffed. “Look, if bird person’s ‘Club Highmore’ need so many Lansat Berries on such short notice, bird person more than welcome to try and find different supplier. Go ahead and tell Baan how that work out afterward!”

Yeeeep. 'Baan' being a dead-on reference to Bana, and there being a gathering called 'Club Highmore' with a bird 'mon in it - this is definitely this fic's equivalent of the Red Pollen Orb quest from Xenoblade 1.

Though it’s probably for the best to avoid getting involved in anyone’s problems while we’re here.”

Guess we're not doing any sussing out of that end of things, then. Bummer. :sadbees: (Though at the same time, bet - I wouldn't be surprised if Team Forager accidentally wind up entangled in this thread of events involving Drive.)

“What on earth was in that paint you got? This crap’s like black tar!”

Couldn't resist that shout-out, eh? Though interestingly enough, taking a quick gander at the Black Tar lyrics just now and specifically the part: 'Just want live in peace yet/Black tar's gonna keep us restless/Running just to keep our own breaths.' It doesn't sound too different from Team Forager's current plight. I doubt that was intentional, but it is funny how song lyrics can just line up like that.

And since when were you one to complain about bending the rules of professionalism dealing with the scum in this hive?” the second, yipping voice answered.

Some haughty folks, by the sounds of it. Perhaps some nobles who have aforementioned 'shady ties' to the Thieves' Guild as mentioned earlier.

Not a half bad place if these are actual, comfortable beds the gang has got.

The 'Irune shouting out in denial to the rest of the gang and immediately regretting it' is becoming quite the running trend, I've noticed. And now it looks like we're going to see an admittance of truth from her about her past.

Both fire and thunder powers within our resident Axew - a surefire sign of her possibly being the Original Dragon, and not Reshiram like I predicted before, since I forgot about the Thunder Shock attack she dealt to Rankar in Chapter 13. (In my defence, it has been some time since I read those chapters.
880166305662119966.webp
Still, guess I shouldn't have been so quick to presume Irune was Reshiram based partially on the fact she couldn't lie to save her life.)

I… don’t really want to talk about them all that much, when being open about them hasn’t always ended well for me over the last year.”

I mean, being hush-hush about them hasn't exactly done you any favours either, Irune, especially with your current allies.

“Seriously, Scales?” she scoffed. “I think we’d stick out a bit sitting in on classes, just saying-”

I imagine nicking a couple uniforms wouldn't be too out of the question. And now the image of Team Forager being in uniforms like at Fire Emblem: Three Houses' Garreg Mach Monastery has been conjured in my mind.

Looks like the paths of Sophia and Team Forager are about to cross, if our resident Corvisquire hasn't flown the coop from the place by the time our beloved outlaws arrive.

Days when he’d dared to hope that his studies would help keep his parents’ textile mill used to make for things other than army plates.

The 'dared to hope' part of this make it a bit clearer that maybe this was the part where Dalton's life began to go south? Though there's still that everlasting question of how in blazes the Heliolisk went from noble to outlaw.

“Beyond that, some of the books we’d be coming across would be valuable to fence since there’s always a market for texts among students, so there are some practical reasons for us to want to go there.”

I see this world's uni also has stupidly expensive textbooks that encourage many students to take the yo-ho-ho method instead and bypass such fee payments. Some things never change even after humanity is gone, I suppose. :sadbees:

Seems our gang might well be getting in league with the Thieves' Guild. But based on that dispatch at the beginning, there's a trap incoming for Team Forager, one that could deliver them straight into the wings of Lacan and Sophia...
635766661743640596.webp

Conclusion

And the end of another chapter. Glad to still be keeping on top of things.

Some more intrigue as matters unfold further in Newangle, with that eventual clash between Team Forager and the Lacan/Sophia tag-team drawing ever closer. As usual, Irune's a walking enigma, and the mystery over what exactly happened with Dalton early on his life to make him turn to thievery still hangs over, yet the latter mystery may well be resolved in the next few chapters.

The personal highlight for me this chapter was the blatant references to Moebius in the Möbius inn, with the Crobat receptionist being a dead-on reference to Consul X and the nod to the iconic playhouse from XC3 being there as well. I also loved the reference to the Zanza Trinity, and it's the little references like this that I love seeing in this fic.

Good job, and looking forward to the next one! :quag:

Top Bottom