• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Dazzling Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
Hazel brushed the foretalong that wasn’t occupied by the other Hazel’s hug through her head-plumes and down her head.

As displeased as Gladion was with the way Xavier had set this all up, there was no denying it’d wise to have more people on his side. He accepted the handshake. “Agreed. And my name is Gladion. Gladion Mohn…” He turned to the Hazels, an thought forming in his head. “As in, the Linden Mohn I mentioned is my dad.”
"Gladion... I'll be sure to remember it," Violet replied with complete sincerity. "Violet Gael, though I doubt mine own name hath much meaning to you in this era."

She shook her head as she continued, "Bear not the sins of the family crest. Wear the emblem with pride or shave it off, but the burden is not for thee."
A chill ran down his spine. That was something he’d never expected to say aloud again. He crossed his arms again, but this time it was more akin to the way one might do it when cold rather than upset. “He didn’t do the RKS stuff or the helmet, but he’d have to be the one to give them human language.”

That got Hazel’s attention. She’d always expressed interest in his father. Gladion suspected she considered Linden her own father, too.

“And my father’s not a terrible person or anything. He cared about Hazel and her siblings, tried to help them fulfill their potential. He wanted the best for them, even if he wasn’t prepared for… what happened without him. So whatever your dad was caught up in, whatever he did or didn’t know about this lab…” He couldn’t quite find the words to finish that sentence. “You see what I’m getting at, right?”
Hazel slowly nodded. "T-thank you..." she let out a low, quivering meow as she addressed both Gladion and the other Hazel. When she let go, Violet then took her claw and wrapped her fingers around it, nodding in assurance. Hazel returned a soft smile and nodded as well. The poor girl couldn't grasp the full extent of Gladion's words... but Hazel was grateful for her being there for her anyways.

Hazel typed a message on her phone and took a bow to Gladion and the other Hazel before holding it up. [Thank you. Please... ensure Hazel's safety, and if you can, secure those documents.] She smiled, before typing out her phone number and adding, [We'll keep in touch. It was nice to meet you both.]

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
"Gladion... I'll be sure to remember it," Violet replied with complete sincerity. "Violet Gael, though I doubt mine own name hath much meaning to you in this era."

She shook her head as she continued, "Bear not the sins of the family crest. Wear the emblem with pride or shave it off, but the burden is not for thee."
“And I’m certain to remember yours. And thanks for the tip. Speaking of, I’ve mostly ‘shaved off’ the family crest, so to speak, so please keep the matter of my family between us.”

He stopped to read the message, then smiled. “Yes, Hazel and I will keep each other safe, as always.” Hazel gave an affirmative cry.

Gladion scratched the phone number into the clamshell container of Hazel’s breakfast with his fingernail. “Nice meeting you, too. Haven’t gotten my phone hooked up here yet but I’m sure we’ll be in touch, one way or another.”

<><><><><>

[Day 1] Odette/Odile & Laura/Malachai

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
8D9468E1-6D4A-41DB-9AFC-6F85F2EAFEA4.png
Odette sprinted down to the lake, yelling a string of incoherent Kalosian and expletives as she wrestled through the island flora, trying to find that gods forsaken tumbleweed.

“You. Me. A baseball bat. It’s fucking coming,” she raged as she stomped through a bush.

When she arrived at the lake, she didn’t even have the energy to take in its beauty. All she could do was look around, trying to find where the pain in her ass had gone.

“I’m going to count to THREE. If you’re not in front of me by THREE, it’s Smelly Cat for the rest of the night, you hear me?”

No response.

“One…”

Silence.

Two…”

Still nothing. She felt her fury building.

TWO. AND. A. FUCKING. HALF…

There was a sudden splash, and Odile, back in her creepy human form, stuck her head out of the lake.
BCB99C02-B51A-42D4-BF1F-4FCDA419D019.png
“̵S̴p̸i̵t̸b̷a̸l̶l̶s̴ ̸a̶r̴e̸ ̸b̷e̴s̵t̵ ̶b̵a̸l̴l̴s̶.̴”̷
“I’m going to kick your ass. What the fuck are you trying to do, pick another fight?”
BCB99C02-B51A-42D4-BF1F-4FCDA419D019.png
“̶Y̷e̷a̵h̵,̴ ̷w̶e̶ ̷d̸o̶n̶’̶t̸ ̸l̷i̷k̵e̷ ̷t̴h̵a̶t̵ ̸o̷n̴e̷,̶ ̶r̵e̷m̷e̷m̴b̴e̵r̶?̶”̵
“YES. I UNDERSTAND. That doesn’t mean I’m trying to perpetually anger him. Are you trying to have a repeat of Red? He seemed like the type to want to slit our throats, you think?”
86837B74-20B5-48A0-92CC-9751E1B26C5F.png
“̶Y̵e̴s̷,̵ ̶a̷c̷t̵u̸a̷l̶l̶y̴.̴ ̷T̶h̷e̸r̸e̷ ̶a̸r̷e̶ ̴n̸o̴ ̷s̷h̵i̸t̶b̵i̷r̵d̷s̷ ̵h̴e̴r̸e̷ ̶t̶o̵ ̶s̸t̵e̵a̸l̵ ̷m̸y̵ ̸k̸i̴l̸l̸s̶.̷”̵
“You—“

She sighed. A long, loud, exasperated sigh.

“You’re such a scumbag. Truly, I want to stick your head in an oven.”

16021D2D-3DFE-4A22-9CA7-03742C8F8649.png

“̶̨̢̹̲̞͌̂̑̃̇͊̒͘͜D̸̛̤̝͍͚̤̖̓̐̆͑O̶̘̙̤̊́̏̀͒̓ ̴͚̖̖̩̘̀̈́͋̒̈̌̾ͅI̸̡͔̺̤̝̪͚̩̊̏T̶̨̺̹͙̱͍̣͒̈́̋̔͋͠ͅ ̵̘̦͎͌͂̒P̵̡̱͕̝̩͉͎̐̓͒͑͛͝U̷̘̎S̵̛̯͙̃Ŝ̵͍̇̌́̾̕Y̸̨̭̻͈̪͓̱̹̓̅̔͂͘,̸͈͙̼́̎̌͛̂̚ ̸̨͇̙̲̂͜͠Y̴̥̩̟̿͊̍̌̂̍͘̕͜Ơ̸͕̯͖͍̓̀̏͝U̷̡̨̡̜͍̯̼͆̉̎͌͘’̴̣͚͉̬͔̞̐̀̎̓́R̵̖͔͐̐̿͆͑̃͝E̵̠͚̠̔́͑̇͑́̃̕ͅ ̴̢͕̯̰͖̰͇̽̈̔̒͗̈́͑͠N̵̫̙̮͚̞͕͖̿͊̾̉̓́͠O̴̳̻̦̱̝̣̜̱͌̆́̓T̵̖͔̥̯͈̪́̉̇͘͘͘ ̴̢̤̲̰̯̓̈́͋̋̆R̵̩̬̞̭͇̀̽͊̀͝È̷͓̙̰̩̣͔̀͗̋̎̿̏̂A̸̙͓̱̾̾̑͆̑̿͜͝Ḷ̴̨̫̖̣͇̏.̵̣͈̣͇̹͇̑͗͛̆̚͠”̸̘̱̭͆̐̿́́̚

She dunked under the water after that.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
<Find anything yet?>

<Small fish. Sufficient for now.>

<Well then come back up, I can't wait around here forever, and I think some of the fucking weirdos from the ship are coming by.>

<Very well.>

Laura waited, drumming her fingers on one arm and rocking a little as she squatted on the beach, staring at the lake. Eventually, Malachai's great head broke the surface, then his wings, gripping the bank to haul himself up, water pouring off him for several moments.

"Okay, I guess just drip-dry for a minute? Don't shake. Do not shake. You'll get me soaked."

Malachai made his usual expression of chiropteran contempt, and waited as more water fell from his scales, ruff, and membranes.

<As you wish, girl.>

Laura made a grunt of acknowledgement, and looked towards the bickering voices from earlier. Given the violence she'd heard about on the ship, the weird threats she thought she'd heard were worth being wary of.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Odette Neutral.PNG
Odette stood glowering at the surface of the water where Odile had gone back down. When several minutes passed and she didn't come back up, she sighed gruffly and finally decided to take a moment to look around. Now she understood why this place had been dubbed "Dazzling Lake." It really gave Alola's beaches a run for their tourist money, didn't it?

Soon the sound water rippling hit her ears, and she darted her eyes in the direction of the noise, expecting to see Odile crawling out onto the bank or something. She quickly realized that it sound like something MUCH bigger was emerging from the depth below, and she wasn't wrong. It was that Noivern from the ship. The really fucking big one.

"Chers dieux," she muttered in awe. She'd thought Hau's Noivern was pretty big, but man. It was no contest. Hau's badgering for photos, plus her borderline insatiable interest in magical type Pokemon had her walking in it's direction before she realized what she was doing. She moved slowly as to not startle it and it's trainer sitting by, but with enough purpose as to assure they didn't leave before she could say something.

What the fuck am I doing?

She didn't recognize the trainer girl from anywhere else, so it was safe to assume that they hadn't crossed paths at any point while on the ship. Which meant this might have been a clean slate. Perhaps that was a good thing in this instance.

"Um," she said before clearing her throat. "Bonjour. I don't mean to interrupt anything, but I just wanted to tell you that that is the biggest and I think prettiest Noivern I've ever seen in my life," she declared, a little awestruck. "Super impressive."

She then peered up at the Noivern's face. She actually had to take a step back to be able to see it clearly without completely snapping her neck. Fuck being so damn short. "Are you like...a different breed? Or subspecies?" she queried. "If you don't mind me asking, that is?"

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura waved awkwardly. This didn't seem like the type of person to carry out weird, violent threats. And she was... Kalosien? Probably.

"Uh, bonjour, I mean, hello." Shit, why did she say bonjour. That was dumb, she sounded dumb. "I'm Laura, I'm here for that Festival thing. You too?"

Malachai cocked his head to examine the newcomer. It would be hard for anyone who didn't know him to tell, but Laura could see that his draconic mouth was pulled into a smug grin. Prideful big fucking bat that he was.

<I am an Anticaeli regina; an Atlantic Bluewing. My kind ranges mostly in Northern Europa and keep to the wilds. I... appreciate your discernment.>

Laura waited out the usual vain spiel with as much patience as she could muster.

"Who's your partner?" she added, not wanting to let this become a conversation between the second person she'd even met and Malachai while she stood there like a fucking lemon. Mal was not going to third-wheel her, damnit.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"I'm Laura, I'm here for that Festival thing. You too?"
Odette Deadpan.PNG
She nodded. "I'm Odette. And unfortunately."
<I am an Anticaeli regina; an Atlantic Bluewing. My kind ranges mostly in Northern Europa and keep to the wilds. I... appreciate your discernment.>
Odette Bigger Smiles.PNG
She politely listened to his spiel. It was actually very cute how proudly he spoke of his species, and only further piqued her interest. "That's a neat species name, actually. Atlantic Bluewing," she repeated. "And you're welcome. You're pretty stand out. Do you have a name?"

"Who's your partner?"
She looked back toward Laura quickly. Right, she didn't want to leave her out of the conversation. That would be rude, and the last thing she wanted to do today was get on anybody's bad side without Odile's help. That would just be fucking embarrassing.

"I actually have two," she said. She tried to not let her nerves break through to her tone, so she cleared her throat again. "Enora, my Sylveon partner is..." she slowly stopped talking once she realized that Enora had not followed their chase. Which meant she was still at the cafe, probably wondering where the fuck they'd gone.

"Still eating. She made some friends and didn't want to leave just yet," she finished out her thought. That wasn't even much of a lie, either. Enora seemed to be having a fantastic time with Olivia and Neo and Novo and that little Bulbasaur. She was fine.

Odette Nervous.PNG
She turned over her shoulder, gazing hesitantly out at the water. "The other one is...well..."

She barely finished her thought before the stupid tumbleweed bat shot out of the water right in front of them. There were two small fish bones in each of her claws.

Odile Scary 1.PNG
"̶T̷h̴e̸ ̴f̶i̶s̷h̷ ̴a̷r̵e̸ ̴t̴o̶o̴ ̴s̷m̷a̷l̶l̸.̴"̷

Odette Deadpan.PNG
There she was. Odette exhaled sharply. "I don't know what you were expecting from a lake--"

Odile Scary 1.PNG
"̵T̴H̴E̶ ̴F̶I̵S̴H̴.̵ ̸A̷R̵E̴ ̶T̴O̸O̷.̸ ̸S̴M̷A̶L̷L̶.̶"̸ Really, what so so fucking hard to understand about that? She was a legendary Pokemon for gods sake, and these puny damn fish would do nothing for her. Even though she already ate and was actually really, really full, it was the principle of the thing. "̶I̷ ̸W̷A̶N̶T̸ ̸T̷O̶ ̵G̴O̶ ̷T̵O̸ ̸T̷H̸E̵ ̶B̴E̵A̵C̵H̸.̴"̵
Odette Deadpan.PNG
Odette turned to look back at Laura and the Noivern, a lot less enthused than she had been when she approached. "That's...Odile. My pain in my absolute ass."

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
<She is entirely correct. The fish are too small.>

Laura ignored Malachai and peered at the strange little bush of a creature, wondering what sort of 'mon she even was. Didn't look much like anything she was familiar, and if she'd had to guess, she'd have said 'regional tangela subspecies' at a push. But that voice...

"I know what having a partner be a massive pain in the ass is like, believe me," she replied. "My complete motherfucker of an inteleon stowed away in my luggage without my say-so and is now off somewhere on the island doing gods-know-what. My whole team is... stubborn. I don't know where they get it from."

<Hmmph.>

"This big guy is Malachai," continued Laura, as Malachai continued to pay attention to Odile. "The team hyper-carry, if I'm honest. I'm definitely not his first trainer, and he hardly lets me forget it. Anyway, uh, I don't recognise Odile's species. Must be pretty unusual, I take it?"

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
<She is entirely correct. The fish are too small.>
Odile Scary 1.PNG
"̷S̸e̵e̴,̷ ̴T̴H̴I̶S̴ ̷G̸U̴Y̷ ̸f̷u̴c̵k̷i̸n̶g̶ ̷g̸e̴t̵s̴ ̴i̴t̴.̷ ̶W̸e̴ ̵n̸e̵e̵d̴ ̶t̵o̶-̸-̸"̵
Odile Sparkle Eyes.PNG
Odile finally took notice of Malachai, a d just how ENORMOUS he was. Her beady little eyes glimmered, and she dropped the fish bones and hovered up to his face.

"̶H̷o̴l̸y̷ ̵s̵h̵i̸t̸!̷ ̸Y̴o̸u̷'̸r̶e̷ ̸h̵u̴g̶e̸!̷ ̸I̶ ̴l̴o̴v̵e̶ ̵t̴h̵a̶t̴ ̴f̴o̷r̶ ̸y̴o̶u̷!̸"̷

She looked back down at Odette.

"̵Y̵O̴U̴ ̴S̸H̷O̷U̷L̸D̵ ̵M̶A̸K̵E̵ ̷M̴E̴ ̴B̷I̵G̷ ̶T̴O̸O̵,̶ ̸T̶H̶E̶N̶ ̶W̸E̶ ̷C̶A̴N̷ ̵F̵I̴G̵H̴T̷.̸ ̴I̵T̸'̵L̴L̴ ̶B̵E̸ ̷F̵U̷N̵.̸ ̶P̶L̸E̸A̶S̸E̴,̷ ̷P̷L̴E̸A̴S̵E̴,̸ ̴P̶L̶E̷A̴S̸E̴,̵ ̶P̵L̵E̷A̷S̷E̶,̵ ̴P̷L̷E̵A̵-̵-̴"̶
"I know what having a partner be a massive pain in the ass is like, believe me," she replied. "My complete motherfucker of an inteleon stowed away in my luggage without my say-so and is now off somewhere on the island doing gods-know-what. My whole team is... stubborn. I don't know where they get it from."
Odette Deadpan w Sweatdrop.PNG
"Stop harassing him. We haven't even been talking for two minutes."

With a roll of her eyes she peered back at Laura. "I'm honestly very surprised my Mimikyu didn't do that; that seems like something right up his alley of bullshit," she snickered. "I can't get his imp ass to do anything unless I give him pecha berries so I empathize with the stubborn thing."
"The team hyper-carry, if I'm honest. I'm definitely not his first trainer, and he hardly lets me forget it. Anyway, uh, I don't recognise Odile's species. Must be pretty unusual, I take it?"
Odette eyed Malachai once more, allowing that impressed shine to return to her eye. "I believe it. He looks like he packs a punch. And you have him now so clearly he saw something in you. Again, super impressive."

She exhaled sharply. "Unusual is an understatement. I'm not shocked you don't recognize her; I'm fairly certain she and her type only exists in my shitshow of a world."

Odile Neutral Grin.PNG
"̷I̵'̷m̸ ̸a̴ ̷l̷e̶g̷e̸n̷d̴a̸r̵y̶.̸ ̸T̷h̶e̴ ̴b̵e̷s̸t̸ ̴l̵e̶g̷e̵n̵d̸a̷r̵y̵.̸ ̵A̵n̴d̵ ̶s̶h̵e̵'̸s̵ ̷m̵y̸ ̸v̷e̶s̸s̷e̵l̷.̸ ̷T̸h̶e̶ ̴b̴e̷s̴t̶ ̵v̸e̵s̵s̵e̵l̷.̸"̷

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura's eyebrow rose very nearly off her face. That was a lot. Legendary? Vessel?

"Okay, I'd figured something was weird about those portals and all that, but you sound like you know you're from a different world. And... weirdly comfortable with it. Odette – it is Odette, right? – do you have some idea what the deal is with this event? Also, a type that only exists in your world? What? That's wild."

Malachai huffed, with his usual mix of preening vanity and practiced disinterest.

<I've not had occasion to fight a god before,> he mused. Even telepathically, the anticipatory growl in his 'voice' was palpable. <What does this one mean by 'vessel'?>

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"Okay, I'd figured something was weird about those portals and all that, but you sound like you know you're from a different world. And... weirdly comfortable with it. Odette – it is Odette, right? – do you have some idea what the deal is with this event? Also, a type that only exists in your world? What? That's wild."
Odette Deadpan.PNG
"I've been to a number of these events before; I can't say I'm phased by anything after the last one," she said.

She smirked slightly. "Yeah, that's my name. And to answer your question, no. I never do. Last one was a game of 'Never Have I Ever.' Then I think there was one where we played 'Truth or Dare.' This event seems way more planned out than those, though. I guess all I can say is keep your eyes peeled, because something's bound to throw us for a fucking loop at some point."

<I've not had occasion to fight a god before,> he mused. Even telepathically, the anticipatory growl in his 'voice' was palpable. <What does this one mean by 'vessel'?>
Oh, absolutely brilliant. Odile said fight, and now it sounded like Malachai was willing to oblige. After how he'd introduced himself, and what Laura had said about her team, Odette should have seen that coming.

"Odile's what's called a Blood type. She doesn't have any battling abilities until she reacts with my sanguinity. In the interim she looks like a weed-"

Odile Beaming.PNG
Odile swooped down next to Odette and with a flourishing twirl, she morphed back into her humanlike form. Now she could stop flapping her wings, dammit.

O̶r̷ ̵t̵h̶i̸s̶.̸"̴

Odette resisted the urge to slap her hand to her face. "...or my own personal Grudge," she agreed. "But, once she reacts with my blood, she can actually get as big as you, Malachai. It's just...a lot on me, physically. I'd rather prep myself than go in impulsively, if I can. But she jumps at any opportunity to knock some heads."

She rubbed at the middle of her forehead. "I actually just finished giving some other girl this rundown at breakfast, so excuse me if I'm a little blasé in my explanation right now. It's a lot to dump on somebody, and I'm trying to not...scare anybody else." She cringed a little as she said those words, but quickly regained her composure. "But I'll answer whatever questions you have, of course. I'd like to keep the air around me clear, especially since I'm walking around with something like her," she gestured to the uncanny version of herself, "in my wake."

Her fingers moved to scratch her cheek. "Think of it as the same as Mega Evolutions or Dynamaxing...except, there's no stones involved. Just blood. Mine specifically, or nothing happens. Which is why I'm her vessel."

A thought then occurred to her, and she frowned. "Of course, that's provided you come from a place where Mega Evolutions and Dynamaxing exist. In which case everything I just said might have been a different language to you."

Odile Neutral Grin.PNG
"̵Y̵o̵u̷ ̴k̴n̵o̸w̸ ̶w̵h̵a̴t̸ ̵l̵a̸n̴g̶u̵a̴g̸e̵ ̴e̸v̸e̶r̵y̵o̵n̶e̴ ̵u̵n̵d̶e̸r̴s̵t̸a̸n̴d̷s̸ ̸t̶h̴o̷u̷g̸h̴?̴ ̴F̷I̸G̵H̸T̴I̶N̶G̵. H̶e̶'̴s̴ ̵n̶e̸v̴e̶r̴ ̶f̶o̴u̸g̶h̴t̷ ̴a̴ ̸G̴O̶D̸ ̴b̸e̴f̶o̴r̸e̴,̵ ̷h̴e̵ ̵s̷a̶i̴d̷ ̷s̶o̵.̵"

She really liked this Malachai guy. He DEFINITELY knew what was up. And he was big, so...a plus! None of these other Pokemon here were this big. Or so she'd seen. He'd be a good match, probably. He was too big to be chew toy material.

Yes, she definitely wanted to fight him. She wouldn't gnaw his toes like those other guys, but she'd definitely show him a good time. There was no better god to fight than HER, of course.

"Do you want to go for another swim with the teeny fish? I'll push you back in right now."

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Oh, what the fuck," blurted Laura, as Odile transformed. "Wolves alive, that's a hell of a trick."

So, Odette had been pulled to multiple events, but none alike. By inference, they weren't all down to this Xanatos guy. So... keep investigating? Bloody hell. And then there was Odile's insistence on a battle to deal with.

"Wasn't really planning on battling right now," Laura cautioned. This was true enough, although her competitive streak did rather like the idea of trying to beat a Legend.

<For pokémon, battle is a preeminent form of communication,> rumbled Malachai, his bassy warbles undercutting his telepathy.

Laura could feel herself going on something of a face journey as Odette elaborated, but she held her composure.

"That's competing with plenty of other stuff for the weirdest thing I've ever heard," she joked, "but I think I can process that okay. One of my team is a yamask that desperately wants to shave human faces, so I'm used to creepy shit. And yeah, I know about megas and 'max; 'maxing is a big part of the Galar meta these days. So... Blood type, huh? That's mental. What're the matchups? Is there like, a limit on how long you can keep it up?"

<Clever girl,> whispered Malachai, in her brain alone.

<Just making conversation,> Laura replied, in his.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"Oh, what the fuck," blurted Laura, as Odile transformed. "Wolves alive, that's a hell of a trick."
Odile Smug.PNG
"̵T̷h̷e̷r̸e̴'̴s̸ ̶a̸ ̷l̴o̸t̷ ̸m̷o̴r̸e̴ ̷w̴h̶e̵r̸e̶ ̵t̸h̴a̷t̶ ̶c̴a̵m̵e̷ ̶f̶r̸o̸m̴.̶"̴
"Wasn't really planning on battling right now," Laura cautioned. This was true enough, although her competitive streak did rather like the idea of trying to beat a Legend.
Odette Neutral.PNG
Odette couldn't help the relieved sigh that came out of her. "I'm glad to hear that. Not much in the mood to oblige that today."

Odile Sad.PNG
"̵W̷e̴l̶l̸ ̸y̶e̴a̵h̷,̸ ̷b̶e̸c̸a̴u̵s̴e̴ ̶y̴o̸u̶'̵r̸e̶ ̴f̸u̶c̷k̴i̶n̸g̷ ̵L̸A̶M̸E̷.̶"̸

"but I think I can process that okay. One of my team is a yamask that desperately wants to shave human faces, so I'm used to creepy shit.
Odette Neutral.PNG
Odette ignored Odile's quips to listen to Laura. She kept her expression straight at the mention of the yamask, but did spare a few blinks.

"That seems on par for a ghost type, actually," she said.

Still, it was nice to meet somebody who took the explanation so well right off the bat. Ha.

So... Blood type, huh? That's mental. What're the matchups? Is there like, a limit on how long you can keep it up?"
Odette Smile.PNG
And she was even asking questions about it too? Battle questions? Shit, maybe this wouldn't crash and burn.

"It's something, that's for fucking sure," she agreed. "Matchup wise, they take hard hits from poison, fire, and ice types. But they'll beat the absolute hell out of fairy, dark, ghost, and psychic types. They're basically a solid sweep for magical based teams," she explained. "And steel does nothing to them, which tickles me bright fucking pink."

She glanced at Odile, who seemed to be vibrating in place as she was being directly spoken about. "Odile is a secondary dragon type though, so her strengths veer off of that. Not as screwed against fire types, but she absolutely can't hit fairy types. They can hit her, though, and they'll sting a little more. She'll live, though."

Her hand traveled to the blood pressure monitor on her wrist, and she began to mindlessly tamper with it. "The limit is when she saps too much out of me. The more I let her take, the more powerful she becomes. The caveat is that it's very dangerous for me if I'm not careful, because I'm basically just losing blood to it. It's no secret that I'm smaller than average, so I have less to offer to begin with," she said sheepishly as she gestured to herself. "As much as I have to train her to use that power, I have to train myself to watch how much I give her. Can't even explain how, it's just a shit ton of concentration. A work in progress, I'll admit, but I'm better than I was when I started."

A bitter grin. "Many a transfusion. And I fucking hate needles."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura did the calculations in her head. Not a bad typing. Ice-type moves if she really wanted to win. Depending on how fast Odile was when she was 'big', Sleet might actually have a better matchup than Mal... and if she was ruthless, the correct move was to stall, not sweep. But it felt a bit ghoulish to try to win by fatigue against an opponent whose trainer's health was at risk if Laura pulled that strategy. She bit her lip.

"Even less keen to fight you if it could fuck you up like that," she admitted. "Gotta say, though... There's no way you're some trainer who bumped into an eldritch creature one day, right? I'm, uh, trying to figure out why we're all here from our different worlds, and I'm wondering what your deal is."

She laughed awkwardly, one hand twisting the skin on her other wrist. "I realise that's a big ask, to just spill the beans. I'll go first. My deal is that my purrloin went missing while I was away studying, and when I got to investigating a wave of missing pokémon, I ended up digging into an organisation conducting illegal genetic experimentation on 'mon. I'm... I'm trying to do something about it, starting by getting inside. I've only talked to the one other guy here properly, but he actually had a vaguely similar story. If any of that sounds relatable to you, I'm gonna start thinking there's a pattern."

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
((back on mobile and typing quick so forgoing emotes for now))
"Even less keen to fight you if it could fuck you up like that," she admitted.
Odette shrugged. “I have plenty of precautions in place, don’t worry. Came packed with a couple blood bags, pills, my little beeper…I’ll live. Hasn’t killed me yet. Not particularly in the headspace for it now, though.”
"Gotta say, though... There's no way you're some trainer who bumped into an eldritch creature one day, right? I'm, uh, trying to figure out why we're all here from our different worlds, and I'm wondering what your deal is."
She laughed again, more rancorous than than the last. “You’d be right about that. Odile cozied up to me when I was born, but I only found out about her a couple years ago. Y’know, real possession shit.”
"I realise that's a big ask, to just spill the beans. I'll go first. My deal is that my purrloin went missing while I was away studying, and when I got to investigating a wave of missing pokémon, I ended up digging into an organisation conducting illegal genetic experimentation on 'mon. I'm... I'm trying to do something about it, starting by getting inside. I've only talked to the one other guy here properly, but he actually had a vaguely similar story. If any of that sounds relatable to you, I'm gonna start thinking there's a pattern."
Laura was right, that was a big ask. Odette had been hesitant to even mention it to Kimiko, and the two of them were practically mirrors in terms of the situation. However, the more Laura spoke, the more Odette found similarities to her own story too. Not entirely the same, but definitely within the same vein. Her skeptical expression gradually faltered, until she was just staring at Laura in what felt like understanding.

“You might be onto something,” she eventually spoke. Might as well give her the same level of exposition, since she’d been forward enough to offer the same.

“A couple years ago, there was a drug sweeping across Kalos—my Kalos—that was majorly affecting shiny ‘mon and their rich owners. There was an institution in place; it was called the Shiny Trade, and it sounds just as bad as you’d think it is. Basically buying and selling ‘mon for their coat colors. Most people were vehemently opposed to it but for some reason, it could never be abolished. My friend and I stuck our noses into it and discovered this…massive fucking conspiracy. With the trade, the drug, the group distributing it, and these blood types,” she explained. “And the biggest, most hysterical plot twist of it all? You’re gonna laugh.”

She scoffed, and visibly began to grind her teeth for a beat. “All orchestrated by my dearest darling biological father.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura blanched. "Yikes. That's... fucked up."

She frowned, and put a knuckle to her mouth. "I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with all that. Best of luck, I guess? Hmm... The other guy I met said his fam were involved in dodgy shit. Starting to worry about my own parents now, ahaha..."

Malachai huffed, and shook his head. <That's appalling inductive reasoning, stupid girl.>

"I wasn't serious, idiot. Anyway, here's me thinknig there is a pattern. I'm three for three on 'take down a sinister company from the inside' and association with weird 'mon. It's a start. No idea why that would matter to this Xanthin guy. I'm gonna keep an eye open, and... probably Sleet will find something whether I ask her to or not. I'm gonna find out what's going on."

<Or we could fight the sanguine god, and test our strength.>

"No, Mal."

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
She frowned, and put a knuckle to her mouth. "I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with all that. Best of luck, I guess? Hmm... The other guy I met said his fam were involved in dodgy shit. Starting to worry about my own parents now, ahaha..."
“It’s par for the course when you’re dealing with demonic possession I guess,” she said dryly. “Thanks, though. I hope you find your Purrloin. I’d freak the fuck out if any of my ‘mon went missing.”
I'm three for three on 'take down a sinister company from the inside' and association with weird 'mon. It's a start. No idea why that would matter to this Xanthin guy. I'm gonna keep an eye open, and... probably Sleet will find something whether I ask her to or not. I'm gonna find out what's going on."
Odette nodded along with Laura’s words, still scratching at her cheek. “Keep me updated with what you find, if you don’t mind. I never considered that there would be a pattern to who got pulled for these things, but being this one seems so planned…that would make a lot of sense. I’ll let you know if I uncover anything weird, too.”

A wash of minute deja vu enveloped her. For a moment, it felt like she was back in Kalos, in the girls dressing room of the Lumiose Performing Arts Center, throwing deductions back and forth with Noel. She wasn’t sure how that made her feel yet, but…it wasn’t bad.
<Or we could fight the sanguine god, and test our strength.>

"No, Mal."
“̶I̷.̸ ̷L̸I̴K̴E̵.̸ ̵T̴H̷E̴.̶ ̴W̷A̵Y̸.̸ ̸T̷H̷I̸S̵.̸ ̸G̷U̸Y̵—̷“̸ Odile screeched.

No, Odile,” Odette said.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Howls, it was weird actually cooperating with someone on uncovering the truth. She was so used to doing everything alone except for her team. Laura smiled, and something felt weird inside her body, like it was full or charged up or something.

"Hey, sounds good. I'm having weird connection issues with my phone, but we can exchange numbers, or IM handles or something, if you like? Otherwise, I'm on the, uh, third floor of the hotel. Mal will know if you swing by and subvocalise really hard at him, it'll activate his telepathy."

<Don't just tell people that, stupid girl!>

<Oh, grow up, Mal.>

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Howls, it was weird actually cooperating with someone on uncovering the truth. She was so used to doing everything alone except for her team. Laura smiled, and something felt weird inside her body, like it was full or charged up or something.

"Hey, sounds good. I'm having weird connection issues with my phone, but we can exchange numbers, or IM handles or something, if you like? Otherwise, I'm on the, uh, third floor of the hotel. Mal will know if you swing by and subvocalise really hard at him, it'll activate his telepathy."

<Don't just tell people that, stupid girl!>

<Oh, grow up, Mal.>
Odette relished in seeing somebody genuinely smile today after speaking with her. She was two for two; she was starting to feel really good about this. Laura seemed like she had a good head on her shoulders, and some powerful ‘mon. A good ally choice.

“My phone actually works just fine, so go ahead and type your number in,” she said, pulling it out of her pocket. She handed it to Laura. “And worst case, sounds like we’re on the same floor, so I’ll just come find you. If Mal will let me in that is,” she chuckled.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"He'd better," quipped Laura, although she ended up kinda mumbling it. Goddamnit.

She put her number into Odette's phone and felt kinda wobbly about it. When was the last time anyone had wnated her number, for any reason? Did this make them friends? Was it too soon to say they were friends? She didn't know how it worked.

"Um. Yeah, come find me whenever," she said. "It was really nice to meet you, Odette. Uh, and you, Odile."

<We shall meet in battle another day, and you shall know what it is to strive against a resolute opponent,> declared Malachai, his telepathy punctuated by a booming growl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom