• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Tree of Life ~ Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Diyem's Abyssal Onslaught dealt 478 damage to Brisa!

Brisa staggered under the force of Diyem's warhammer, the Radiance coursing through her fur sizzled like water on a stove. She hissed too, barely clinging to consciousness as first her shields went down, and then she ran out of space to dodge and weave. The hammer knocked her flying – head ringing, bones cracking – but she grit her teeth and pressed on. She forced herself to her feet again, hearing the battlefield chatter as if from a distance... Eien. They'd found her. She'd seen them. Brisa had to get clear.

But Diyem was staring at Xerneas. Confused. Trapped.

She'd have to leave him.

"I can't... hold on... keep fighting! I..."

She couldn't leave him.

He'd told her to keep fighting, given her some of his power. He was still in there. She had to reach out to him. She could reach him. She had to.

Diyem's Abyssal Onslaught dealt 478 damage to Brisa . . . and she toughed it out with 14 HP remaining, in hope of saving him!

She screamed with the effort of sustaining her body in its glowing, golden state, Radiance and plasma burning her together. The tethers came out with a snap and a fizz of energy, and connected her with her patron—

I'm not givin' up on you. Count on it. I know you won't kill a friend. That's what we are, you sonofabitch.

"Treasure the friendships you make, and . . . whatever."

That ain't Eien! She's still sufferin', right there, trapped in this place. It ain't even Xerneas, just some husk of him, it don't need you! We need you. Eien needs you. So c'mon already, Diyem. Follow me. Get the fuck outta her way. An' do yer goddamn duty!!

Brisa pulled on the tethers with all her strength...

...hoping Dark Matter would hear her plea.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
For the second time during that battle, Icetales was struck down by the power of a dark sledgehammer… a literal one.

Slam! Thump! Crack!

The Ninetales howled as he felt the bones cracking under that heavy weapon. If all, the strikes had become even stronger.

Then, he was flung in the air by a final blow and struck down by a rain of beams of pixie light, and the fox scattered wooden chips around as he crashed to the floor. He shivered and coughed some blue droplets, before shakily standing back up. Radiance flickered around him, the cosmic barrier still intact — only the heavens knew what would have happened if the barrier didn’t neutralize part of the damage.

He looked around to see that Brisa was barely standing, while Saltriv was unconscious. By the stars!

“S-Sir Diyem…” he stammered, fighting hard to not tumble. Then, someone held him by his side, and he turned to the source.

Petram.

“C’mon! Dontcha lose consciousness now! Our team needs us!”

Icetales nodded numbly, using Petram as support. They saw a distant red light, but before they could even inquire, a pair of clawed paws touched both and they found themselves standing in front of… a phantom Hydreigon? And he wasn’t alone.

“Well, time to teach to those specters a lesson!” shouted Petram, before helping the shaking Icetales sit down.

Indeed. Back to business. No time to rest.

Icetales focused his energy on his Heal Bell, making sure to heal some of his wounds and purify some corruption from Starr. Meanwhile, Petram did what a good Beacon of Hope is supposed to do — Inspiritment!

“Hey! Peeps!” he cried out, flashing a confident smirk at Astrid, Brisa (who had arrived as well) and Starr. “Show them who are the true bosses around here! Kick their arses!”

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Curio’s Energize III revitalized Kate!
Kindle’s Soothe III calmed Brisa’s spirit!

Cabot called out to Diyem!
Kate was Nip’s chauffeur!
Kate was Cabot’s chauffeur!
Saltriv’s Brilliant Autumn at Brisa, Cabot, and Kate
Saltriv’s Brilliant Autumn granted +2 Protect to themself, Brisa, Cabot, and Kate, and calmed their spirits!
Saltriv’s Revitalizing Heal Pulse healed Nip!
Nip’s double Revitalizing Moonlights healed himself, Brisa, Cabot, Saltriv, Icetales and Celeste!
Nip was Icetales’s chauffeur!
Vix switched with Celeste, and switched Celeste with Astrid!
Celeste was Brisa’s chauffeur!
Icetales’ Rejuvenating Heal Bell healed Koa and Starr!
Icetales called out to Starr!
Icetales’ Brilliant Inspirit boosted Koa, Starr, and Astrid!
Koa called out to Starr! His pure words reached her!
Brisa showed her heart with Shining Whiplash and called out to Diyem!

Vix’s Brilliant Spirit Bomb dealt 2614 damage to Bone! It’s Super Effective!
Brisa’s Shining Whiplash dealt 1 damage to Diyem! It’s Super Effective!
Brisa’s and Starr’s Overcharged Fusion Arcflare dealt a CRITICAL 10242 damage to Buffet! It’s Super Effective!
Koa’s Pressurized Umbral Outcry dealt 1617 damage to Buffet! It’s Super Effective!
Astrid was Inspired by Starr & Brisa!
Astrid’s Inspired Null Sweeper Stored Power dealt damage to Buffet, Nugget, and Nanab!
Buffet: 6851
Nugget: 8950
Nanab: 6416
Astrid’s Inspired Null Sweeper Flail dealt damage to Buffet, Nugget, and Nanab!
Buffet: 2705
Nugget: 4164
Nanab: 3018

The Radiant attack wrapped around Diyem's wrist and he snarled in response, looking like he was going to attack on reflex...

That ain't Eien! She's still sufferin', right there, trapped in this place. It ain't even Xerneas, just some husk of him, it don't need you! We need you. Eien needs you. So c'mon already, Diyem. Follow me. Get the fuck outta her way. An' do yer goddamn duty!!

And as that bright light became even brighter, Diyem watched Brisa disappear and evacuate with the others. He stared, dumbly, stunned and conflicted, as he mulled over those words.

Too slow to get out of the way.

Eien launched Eternal Blacklight Cannon against many zones!
The Dragon Phantom took 40042 damage and was defeated!
Xerneas took 12743 damage!
Diyem took 2943 damage!
Maple took 9513 damage!
The mysterious figure was unaffected!

Xerneas cried out as all of his power seemed to be stripped away, and not only that, but it seemed he wasn't able to heal anymore, either.

"Xerneas..." Diyem looked onward where some of Team Spectrum was battling Zygarde. He could sense more struggles further on. He glanced behind him and saw a faraway light--Bahamut, waiting at the entrance to pull anyone out or step in as an emergency.

He remembered.

Everyone, Diyem said, I'm sorry for my absence. What do you need me for?

Diyem used Abyssal Replica! It became Shadow Toss! Diyem tossed Xerneas into 2A!
Diyem moved to 2A and used Abyssal Ritual!

Xerneas regained some of his movement. His Eterna powers are gone!

Diyem has become an ally!
Xerneas looks conflicted!

After spending some time in the area with Buffet, Owen had been advised to send Wishkeeper forward to look around. Amid all the chaos, Wishkeeper did, indeed, find something.

Guys! There's a small... bauble of energy in the middle of the room! It look like it's hiding power. But it also looks like channeling energy into it. But what would it be for? I think you're supposed to power it up.

Koa would recognize that this was what Soda might have been talking about. Something to lure Maple. But why would...?

The chaos in the rest of the areas continued...

Bone used Bonemerang on Vix, knocking her out!
Bone moved to 1C!

Nugget moved to 1C!
Nugget used Blaze Kick on Astrid, Starr, and Icetales, but they all dodged!

Pine moved to 1C and used Dual Chop on Astrid, Starr, and Brisa!
Astrid: 0
Starr: The second blow landed for 86!
Brisa: Protect!

Nanab moved to 1C!
Nanab used Leaf Storm on Astrid, Icetales, and Nip!
Astrid: KO!
Icetales: Dodged!
Nip: Dodged!

Buffet used Dragon Pulse on Starr, Brisa, and Koa!
Starr: 114
Brisa: Protect!
Koa: Dodged!

Buffet used Dark Pulse on Icetales, Nip, and Koa!
Icetales: A grazing 46
Nip: Dodged!
Koa: 221!

Buffet used Cry of Defiance on everyone in 1C!
Brisa and Nip dodged it!
Icetales, Koa, and Starr were heavily debuffed!

Buffet used Snarl of Anger, gaining +4 Magic, +4 Attack, and Sure Shot+3!

Thyme and Pepper used a Water-Grass Pledge on Celeste, who dodged!
Celeste countered for 2917 damage against Thyme!

Thyme used Magical Leaf on Celeste for 1361 damage, but Second Chance let him endure!

Pepper used Aqua Jet on Celeste! Celeste dodged both!
Celeste countered for 2401 damage!

Titan Zygarde used Core Enforcer on Kate, Cabot, Owen, and Saltriv! but they all blocked it!
Thousand Arrows on Kate, Cabot, Owen, and Saltriv! Most blocked! Owen took 28 damage!
Extreme Speed thrice, hitting Kate three times, Cabot three times, Owen twice, and Saltriv once!
Starr's Ward protected against some of the debuffs!
Kate: A grazing 101!
Cabot: A grazing 87!
Owen: 269!
Saltriv: 274
Shock Wave on Kate, Cabot, and Owen!
Kate: 147
Cabot: 226
Owen: 22

"What was that shout?" Owen whispered to himself, but then looked north. "...Uhhh---!"

Eien's about to fire another beam! This time at the inner row! A-aren't you guys all there?! Get out! Hurry, before--

And then something else caught his attention in the other zone. All this chaos was diving him crazy. But Maple looked even crazier.

There she was, hands on the ground, with Blacklight fire burning at all parts of her body. She wasn't screaming. She was only staring downward, emptily, like she was listening to someone talk. Her mouth was moving but she was too far to hear--and with Wishkeeper checking out Buffet's area, Owen couldn't expend himself further.

The flames completely overtook Maple's body. A horrible roar echoed, followed by a shockwave of Blacklight energy that put out the red Eterna flames that had been left behind from Eien's blast. The mysterious shape--which looked like Giovanni's Mewtwo--turned around to stare at Maple, but then seemed to be addressing Eien again. Eien trembled, shaking many of her five heads, but her efforts were weakening.

The tree was getting darker. Energy was channeling upward, to the leaves... What was going on?

A voice echoed in Dave's and Koa's heads.

Hey, sorry for the wait, Soda said. Sooo sorry about this, but Maple's losing it. Told ya so. You might wanna get out ASAP. You got that lure set up yet? Now or never, bud. I've got a flight to catch.

Eien is aiming at Row C!
There's a lure at 1C! Attack it with Magic at least once to activate it!

Maple is...

"I knew it... I always knew it..." Maple's voice was booming. No matter where they were in the Tree, they could hear it. "You... lied to me... betrayed me... you're trying to free Eien to destroy Cibus... destroy Telum... you... all... are responsible!"

"Maple! What are you talking about?!"

"I WILL SAVE IT BEFORE YOU CAN... I WILL... TAKE... CIBUS!"

Eien has been freed! But what now? Was this a trap?
Maple is about to go on a rampage! She cannot be allowed to escape the Tree in this state!
Victory: Escape!
Special Condition: Escape with Diyem and Team Spectrum all present!

The way out is far! It requires three full actions to go from 2A to outside the Tree!

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
It's for the best. It's for the best. It's for the best.

Bahamut floated in the Tree's entryway. Ever since the fiasco at the Worldcore, he had been in some sort of fog. The Tree must've reacted to it and with how much he had probed it trying to get a sense of what was going on, he'd gotten swept up in that. The shade had roused him from catatonia, gleefully chittering about an upcoming conflict. Though his team — okay, no, it was really just Owen, because of course it was — wanted him in the thick of it, Bahamut refused. The plan was to save Eien and he did not trust himself to stick to that. He doubted he had the fortitude to keep his rage in check if he laid eyes on Eien.

So, instead, he was going to be the proverbial long-shot escape gambit. The Worldcore nonsense had been good for one thing: his wormholes were back. Not strong enough to get him off this forsaken rock, but enough to retrieve anyone out of the Tree who needed a quick exit.

... or so he hoped, anyway.

Rumbles sounded around him. Strange lights flickered off in the distance. The tendrils on his head throbbed asynchronously. Headaches were only a concept he'd been aware of as that obnoxious metal cat. Was this what passed for a headache in this hodgepodge body of his? "What the hell is going on in there?"

"Isn't it amazing?" The shade's fish tail wagged. A sapphire sheen spread out from its eyes. "I'm sure it's a titanic clash! Team Spectrum carrying the weight of saving their leader's love. And that very love seeking to shower this holy site in her version of hope. All the while, the Blacklight trying to impose its will over both sides." Raspy wheezes grew faster and faster. "But only one such hope can serve as a beacon for the real Eternatus. Whose will is strongest? I'm sure that, whatever happens from here, it'll bear a most interesting fruit."

Bahamut smacked the shade with his tail. Its head tumbled off and rolled up toward a bunch of roots with a loud splat. "I see someone's upset they can't try to kill this eternatus." Slime shot out of the shade's body and wrapped the head up. The head was forcibly dragged back into place. "You chose to stay back. Even with some semblance of your true form, you remain a sad, hopeless wretch. But that is okay, for you will always have Eternatus' love." It slowly tilted its head. "Oh, and you might want to think about charging up a wormhole now."

Body sparking red, Bahamut shouted, "Whatever you lot are doing in there better be working!"

Code:
Bahamut's efforts at the outside of the tree have shortened the path from 2A to escaping from 3 actions to 2!

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Soda's voice rang in Koa's head. His tomach churned and a numb buzz filled him. This was it. Maple was going berserk, Eien was tearing the tree apart and everything that stood in her way and he was here. His body felt heavy and his heart thundered in his ears.

All that fighting. All the effort struggling against phantoms had come to this.

To nothing.

What did you think was going to happen?

This wasn't supposed to be like this! He hadn't meant for things to go this way. He'd wanted to do something right. Save someone. Rescue Eein and free Diyem. Instead he'd failed. He was about to doom someone inside the tree forever, someone who'd helped them and fought beside them. Someone who was their ally.

You're a traitor. A failure.

Koa swallowed. The lump in his throat didn't go away, nor did the pit in his stomach.

"I'm sorry."

He squeezed his eyes shut. Then he activated the lure.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Everyone, I'm sorry for my absence. What do you need me for?

Good t'have ya back, partner. We need ya t'spare Icetales from detonatin' from Radiance, if y'can, an' then hold down that fuckin' Zygarde titan while we get the fuck outta here. I'll see you on the outside, chief.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Seyka's Haste II gave Astrid an extra action!
Kindle's Soothe III calmed Koa's spirit!

Diyem siphoned Icetales' Radiance with Void Acceptance!
Icetales' Teatimes let Astrid and Koa drink elixirs!
Icetales’ Brilliant Inspirit boosted Brisa, Starr, and Astrid!
Saltriv’s Void Acceptance soothed Brisa, Starr, and Astrid, reducing their corruption gains!
Saltriv was Icetales' chauffeur!
Koa created a Brilliant Conduit and used it with Astrid and Starr! They shared each other's corruption!
Koa called out to Starr! His pure words reached her!
Celeste was Starr's chauffeur!
Mellow was Brisa's chauffeur!
Mellow called out to Xerneas, Icetales and Saltriv! Her pure words reached them!
Nip’s Revitalizing Moonlight healed himself and Kate!
Owen was Nip's chauffeur!
Owen was Koa's chauffeur!

Brisa's Blacklight Facade dealt 2610 damage to Buffet! It's Ultra Effective!
Brisa's Blacklight Z-Burst dealt 4140 damage to Buffet! It's Ultra Effective!
Koa's Hyper Voice dealt 128 damage to Buffet and 112 to Nanab, and powered up Soda's Lure!
Starr's Flare Blitz dealt a CRITICAL 6355 damage to Nanab! Starr took a lot of damage in recoil! It's Super Effective!
Starr's Fiery Leech Life dealt 3443 damage to Nanab and healed for 344! It's Super Effective!
Starr's Fiery Strike dealt 1499 damage to Nanab! It's Super Effective!
Brisa's and Starr's Fusion Arcflare dealt a CRITICAL 10122 damage to Buffet! It's Super Effective!
Astrid was Inspired by Brisa and Starr! Astrid’s Inspired Sweeper Blacklight Z-Detonation dealt CRITICAL damage to Bone, Nugget and Pine!
Bone: 21337
Nugget: 8637 (KO on the first hit!)
Pine: 24499

The strange bauble of energy, which looked more like a transparent wisp that had been planted in the ground--so easy to miss, especially because Buffet's presence in particular seemed to loom over it like a wild Pokemon and its egg--flashed slightly. And then, shortly after, it became brighter, then sank into the ground.

At the same time, Eien fired--and what was left of the phantoms were destroyed completely. Without anything to strike back as they stubbornly lingered, they only faded away into the Tree's defense systems once more. The lure returned moments later...

"I'll clear the way," Diyem muttered to the others, walking past even as the remainder of Team Spectrum started heading for the exit. Shadows were dancing along his body, which was barely keeping it together, even as he stared down the Zygarde titan--the one phantom--that remained.

"Wait! Diyem!" Xerneas chased after him, but then nuzzled his back. Diyem winced, glaring back at the certainly-not-right Lifebringer. "Be careful, okay?"

"You are not Eien. Go away."

"No, I... I know I'm not. I--I know that now. But I still know how kind you can b--"

"You clearly do not know me. Go away. Your appreciation makes me sick."

Xerneas looked hurt, flinching away.

"He means it literally!" Owen called, flying past them. "He's Dark Matter, remember?!"

"O-oh..."

"You are not to harm my team. Understood?"

Meekly, Xerneas nodded.

"Then go. I will catch up. I have something I need to verify." He slammed his mallet's handle on the ground, snorting. "I will be fine."

All of Team Spectrum was behind him, now. And, while it hurt, he smiled a little as he thought about them. He recalled the words that had been shared to him--Brisa, always dutiful, was running back and making sure everyone was accounted for before leaving herself. Cabot was doing the same...

We're your friends, remember? You were even ready to admit that when you broke out of the Radiant Machine!

"Disgusting," Diyem thought aloud, chuckling. That one hurt a little, too. "...I hate when the cheerful ones are right."

Astrid was, once again, fallen, but not before doing a number on so many of their foes. Celeste was parrying and dodging through countless foes' attacks, losing barely a strand of fur against most of them. Kate, a late arrival, the one responsible for the team finding him at all, had distracted this very Zygarde from assaulting the rest of the team... Starr was carrying out several of the injured, one in each hand, such as Vix, while Puddle and Scrafty shouted various empty taunts at the final phantoms.

Koa, with his youthful cunning, must have been the one to lure Maple away and give the team just enough time to escape with some breathing room. Icetales, endlessly cheering and motivating them even when chaos surrounded them all--he seemed so used to that kind of environment... He sensed the sickly, sweet fragrance of Mellow's and Saltriv's handiwork on Astrid and the other injured, keeping everyone in top form even as elemental energy raged above them. Dave, cursing at his foes and calling for Mia to pack it up and stop fighting the straggling phantoms that still crowded around.

Cynthian set up brambles and poisons and even wrathful frost to slow down any enemies that tried to drag them back into the Tree. Nip weaved between enemies and misdirected them, and Owen shouted out warnings for hidden foes every other minute.

And, far in the back, Bahamut, a beacon of light for them to follow out of the Tree's horrible labyrinth. He'd even set up an Ultra Wormhole for them to exit faster. While it was short in range... it would help. And so many of the others that had come here to save him, yet again, despite everything else that had been happening in the world...

Yes. The cheerful fossil was right. They were... his friends.

He smiled a painful smile, showing his teeth, as he finally addressed the phantom rushing for him to get through to the others of Team Spectrum. "How appropriate that a Zygarde would be the one to stand in our way."

And then, he ran in and parried, blocked, and skillfully blunted all of the strikes from the titanic Zygarde.

The Zygarde Phantom struck Diyem with a barrage of attacks!
Core Enforcer for 65!
Thousand Arrows for 60!
Shock Wave for 30!
Extreme Speed for a total of 137!

--

Maple's snarls abruptly stopped as she turned her head in the general direction of the lure. "What is that? What..." She stomped forward, completely ignoring Diyem and the Zygarde.

Maple moved to 2B!
Maple moved to 1B!
Maple moved to 1C!

Maple inspected the area and saw the lure, but, after leaning her head down and sniffing at it again, she realized that it was nothing but a false aura. She recognized this power and spun around, shouting yet another roar down the hall. "YOU TRICKED ME!"

"Well, that didn't last long."

Maple moved to 1B!

"...Ah. She's returning."

Maple moved to 2B!

"V-very quickly--"

Maple used Blacklight Crescent against Diyem and the Zygarde Phantom!
Diyem: 392
Zygarde: 5728

Diyem staggered back and nearly fell on his tail. The Shadows around him were surging and it seemed like his whole body had abruptly dissolved into nothing but black clouds that pooled on the ground.

"I won't let you get to my team," Diyem said with a very low snarl. But there was a hint of something. There was something in that attack from Maple, now that she was totally unleashed, totally corrupted... What was that?

He needed to feel it just a little more.

Just a little more...

Perhaps if they matched their powers, he would see it more clearly. A hunch. A suspicion. An answer...

Diyem is feeling motivated! Diyem gained an extra action! Diyem used Abyssal Replica for Void Acceptance, healing the corruption of some of Team Spectrum!

Diyem is... changing...

Owen and the others watched in awe and shock as Diyem's form started to twist and change. His wings grew and his body lengthened; he went on all fours as his back arched up. The flame on his tail became a flaming trail that went all the way up his back. His eyes disappeared, instead becoming great voids with only pinpricks of light for eyes.

Diyem used Abyssal God! Diyem transformed!

It was a horrifying sight that filled those who saw it with dread. Diyem... was this really what Diyem looked like? Was that sphere only an egg, a shell, or what he could truly be? Yet... that was their leader. There was an odd smirk on his darkened face that was still recognizable.

"D... Diyem?" Owen said. "Is this... how he is when he isn't holding back?"

"He must have been hiding it so it didn't set anyone off," Cal remarked. "Or maybe he didn't have the strength for it until..." Her eyes trailed to Xerneas, who was hobbling out of the Tree. "Huh."

Diyem used Abyssal Onslaught against Maple! It chained into itself for an Ultimate Abyssal Onslaught, hitting her ten times for 940 damage!

There was a hint of recognition in his eyes. "Yes... I've seen what I needed," Diyem said, and then looked back at the others.

Retreat. I will follow. Tell Xerneas to seal the tree when he can. We need to regroup and return here later. I will explain. But I know what happened to Maple. And... I also found Telum.

Last edited:

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
The Tree was shaking even more. “Idiots! Get yourselves out before this place blows up or something!”

The shade sat on its haunches and appeared to sniff at the air in spite of its heavy helmet. “Perhaps they’ve witnessed that divine love for themselves.”

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Saltriv was leaping all around the Tree of Life, calling out, raining down autumn leaves, healing, and even teleporting, as well as a new move, allowing them to drain the corruption of others, at a detriment to themselves. It hurt, but they beared through it. The team needed this.

They still felt conflicted about Diyem, but now, they agreed with the rest of Team Spectrum.

Diyem was a friend.

"Keep going! We're almost out!" Saltriv yelled as they twirled their leaf once more, and autumn leaves rained down inside the Tree of Life, coating the ground with life, some of which began swirling around Diyem. "We're all getting out of here! Every single member of Team Spectrum!"

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Nip hesitated at the exit. Diyem said to retreat. And that's what he should do. He was exhausted. And he was no fool; he wouldn't be able to defeat Maple in a fight. Certainly not by himself, and he'd probably only get in Diyem's way. And yet. They couldn't just leave Diyem here. That just sounded like brewing trouble.

Letting out a low, agitated growl, he glanced back towards the exit before letting out a snort and turning, running back to the hall between rooms. He stayed behind DIyem, hesitant to get between such powerful, warring beings. But his claws glowed with energy, calling on the power of the teleport he'd been using to move around the tree, ready to bolt at a moment's notice - hopefully with Diyem, but it wouldn't take much to make him flee alone.

Thogh he was no longer in danger of losing himself to the darkness, shadows still flickered in his fur. "Most of the others are on their way out. Come on, we need to hurry." He added with a snort, "Unless you want to get trapped inside here, too."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
((please imagine this was posted on turn one))

Dave stared at Diyem and the twisted Xerneas. Why the fuck hadn't anybody stopped this before it happened.

At any rate it was too late to preempt it now. He could feel the dark energy in the air intensifying by the moment as Diyem prepared to lay waste to Team Spectrum. How did the Voidlands work if Diyem murdered you under the influence of whatever the shit fake-Xerneas even was? He'd really rather not find out.

He looked at Mia, cocking her head at Xerneas in her usual interested way with the same nonchalance as any casual training session. He looked at Brisa, determined as always. He looked at Owen, alarmed but undaunted. He looked at Koa, the literal fucking fourteen-year-old kid, glancing around unsurely before focusing on Diyem with the others anyway, and his heart took an uncomfortable lurch.

Once said:
"Will just... He came along because of me." Jack's voice was thick and shaky, his eyes still staring fixedly at a spot on the table. "And by the time we were there and Pete'd gotten shot, I could tell he was scared but he just wanted to help and I..."

Let him die, Dave thought, and didn't say it, because fuck. He gripped his arm tightly enough to hurt.

"It wasn't your fault," said Sharon, squeezing her son's shoulder.

Jack shook his head. "I should've kept him safe. He was scared and I knew and I just..."

"Look," he said in a low growl, and felt an unexpected buzz of Radiance rising in his chest, "he's going to fucking obliterate us if we don't stop him."

And they could stop him. Brisa could paralyze him. Koa could slow him down even further. That new Sneasel, Kate - didn't she have something like that too? They just had to fucking focus. It'd be fine if he could just direct them all to get it done. Koa'd be fine.

The Radiance was blinding, sizzling in his fur, sharpening his mind, the usual golden shields forming - around him and Koa. He glanced at Brisa but - she'd be fine. She was strong. She'd be fine.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa appeared near the entrance, panting, still reeling somewhat from the teleport orb and from teleporting. His stomach still churned but he forced himself to keep his composure. This fight wasn't over yet, they still had to escape.

Without Maple.

Blinking, Koa tried to take in the situation. Brisa had managed to knock some sense into Diyem, thank Arceus. Xerneas seemed to have... well he wasn't sure what was going on with Xerneas but at least the being had... calmed down somehow.

Some of the team had already made it to the exit, thanks to Bahamut. Diyem though, remained. In some kind of form that Koa couldn't even begin to grasp yet. Did everyone on this world have a secret form? He could just catch a glimpse of Diyem beyond, facing down Maple in his true form, buying them more time.

Koa hesitated.

Maybe it wouldn't mean anything, maybe nothing he did would amount to something but he had to try. Diyem might have been the incarnation of darkness itself but he had done so much for them...

A familiar tingle of shadows pooled inside him, building in his throat. "Diyem." His voice came out in a deep rumble, full of cold anger and eerie certainty. "Pick up your feet and move. Are you going to let some insect dragon get the best of you? Put her down and let's get out of here."

Koa used Void Thundercall on Diyem for +3 Speed!

For a moment, darkness swirled, clouding Koa's vision and thoughts. No. Now wasn't the time he couldn't do it again he couldn't hurt them even more-

"You're weak, Brisa!" A malicious smile pulled at the corners of his jaws. "Weak in spirit! Can't help yourself, can you? Running yourself ragged because you want people to like you, but they never will."
"Aren't you tired? Just give up." His tone had turned cool and effortless, as if he were stating a simple fact.

There was nothing more he could do.

Failure.

Sucking in a breath he pushed the shadows down, cast a final look at Diyem, and raced for Bahamut's portal.

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Defining the entire situation frenetic was quite the understatement.

Teammates counting heads and healing injured battlers. ‘Mons blipping back to reality, carrying around other teammates with some Teleports. Oh, and also an enraged Maple who had totally lost her marbles and was hunting them.

Yes. Icetales felt like at his temporary stay in the prison that is Chaos.

He tensed up and whirled toward the direction of the roar, readying himself to handle the Voice of Life.

But then, Diyem stood in front of the entire Team Spectrum and his appearance changed.

Fierce. Mighty. Daemonic.

The Ninetales couldn’t help but feel awed by that appearance, his own daemon blood burning with both dread and… admiration.

He glanced around the place, noticing that some of his teammates displayed reactions of all kinds. Some of them fled as commanded, others seemed more hesitant. Among that latter group was Cynthian, who seemed shocked by Diyem’s appearance, but not scared.

Huh. Icetales couldn’t help but be impressed by her composure. Though, he was also confused, as he wondered what she was thinking or planning. He approached her.

“Miss Cynthian? Art thou swell?” He glanced at Diyem, then again at Cynthian. “…Is something in thy mind?”

Cynthian glanced Icetales' way, then at the exit and then at Diyem. She stood closer to him, vines reaching out like she wanted to hold him for comfort.

"Is Diyem going to be okay alone? Maple is... We have to help somehow, don't we?"

Help him…

Yes, Icetales wished to help, but he could already tell that Maple was a formidable opponent. They had no real hope to be of much help without becoming potential targets of her rampage.

Hm… There was only one thing he could think of.

“I am not sure we can be of help in terms of raw power, but perhaps we can support Sir Diyem in some other way. Dost thou remember what happened when thou pushed Radiance into my body, while I had… well, that distorted appearance? What happened next?”

"Of course I remember. How could I forget?" Cynthian said as she blushed with a faint smile, then she drew her brows together, contemplative. "I don't know if I was seeing things or not, but I think I remember a kind of... dark light shining on us after we fired our radiance and shadows into the air..."

“It was a barrier, crafted when my Shadow and thy Radiance merged together. A powerful shield, sturdier than my own veils, and I wager we can replicate that.”

Icetales studied his tails, with shadows trailing from the tips. “We might not be able to help him in fending off Miss Maple, but perhaps… we can protect him from her attacks.” He glanced back at Cynthian, a determined expression on his face. “What dost thou think? Shall we go lend a paw to our common patron? To our… friend?”

Cynthian returned his glance with a firm gaze, her flowers filling the air with Cinnamon from determination. "Let's lend him a paw and a rose — together."

The darkness inside of Icetales surged with power, flowing from his jaws and the tips of his tails in blue plumes. Silver fur turned black, and his eyes glowed with an icy glow. He smirked and nodded.

“Very well! Then let us hurry — our friend needs us!”

Without further ado, a shadowy fox and a radiant rose rushed back into the battlefield, ready to give their last help in a fight of titans.

Adamhuarts

Mew specialist
Partners
  1. mew-adam
  2. celebi-shiny
  3. roserade-adam
Cynthian and Icetales rushed against the escaping crowd, going deeper into the tree to reach Diyem in his beastly state. They arrived just in time to hear Diyem's comment about Telum. Cynthian raised a brow, but immediately focused back on what she'd gone there to do.

"Diyem, we're here to help!" Cynthian announced, her expression cool as she stood next to Icetales in his wraith form. As she walked up to Diyem, Cynthian couldn't help but feel nervous and somewhat embarrassed as well.

"Think of this as thank you, for helping me at the Worldcore, and for showing me a new perspective, so—" Wait, don't positive things actually hurt him. Cynthian's cheeks burned up and she blurted out "—so, you're the worst dark matter I've ever met and don't be a great leader ever again! wait- oh drat…"

Without saying more - and not embarrass herself further - she quickly retreated back to Icetales with a wry smile. "I want to crawl into a hole now…"

Icetales showed a small smile, flashing his dark fangs. ”Well, my dear, I give thee ten points for baring thy heart in thy bouquet. I can say this much.” He stared intently at Maple, his tails swishing. ”Howbeit, onward we must go! There will be plenty of holes to crawl and an unstable tree trunk if we do not do something now…”

The Ninetales puffed his chest and beamed a determined expression. “We are here to lend our help, Sir Diyem. Thou helped us plenty — the repayment is due.”

"You're right. Let's do this." Cynthian took a deep breath and recalled the events of the frozen pines. The warmth of radiance brewed from her chest as she tenderly moved her bouquet into Icetales' mane. She evoked a faint gasp. Unlike last time, she felt Icetales' shadows flowing into her flowers down her chest, coalescing and mixing with her radiance. It felt cold, peaceful. More importantly, it felt empowering.

Cynthian raised her bouquets and fired a ball surging with radiance and shadow into the air. It lit up like a firework and rained a soft protective light on those Cynthian's heart recognized as her companions.

"Diyem! This should help you stand on your feet against Maple, so hold her back as long as you can!" Cynthian cried out, her body still shimmering with a glow. She looked down Maple who was still fast approaching in the distance. Without skipping a beat, Cynthian fired a barrage of seeds at her in hopes that it'd slow her down even by a margin.

While Cynthian fired her attack, Icetales had to suppress a grimace. He felt very drained after the battle, the light in his eyes dimming. Though, he kept a dignified composure despite the fatigue, shouting one last encouragement, “Thou can do it, Sir Diyem! We believe in thee!”

Satisfied with that last cheer, Icetales took out his Escape Orb and stared at Cynthian, ready to go. ”We did all we could, now we must skedaddle. After all, we do not want our patron to get furious at us if we dropped again in his Voidlands, do we?”

"You know what? I'd prefer not to," Cynthian said with a chuckle. She brought out her own Escape orb and glanced at Diyem one more time. "Hope to see you again soon, boss,"

After that, Cynthian and Icetales activated the escape orbs and arrived at the entrance of the tree. Standing side by side, they left together as one.

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Bahamut's body rippled. The ethereal light twisting in ways in wasn't meant to as he tried to keep the portal open. This corrosive aura he felt on the other side... how familiar it was.

"What the hell are you all doing? None of this will mean a thing if you let yourselves get trapped in there! This place feels like it's coming down!"

But it seemed that some folks were appearing. Good. Except he didn't know who, because his vision was too blurred. Bloody Eternatus. Even an alternate "good" version was miserable as far as he was concerned.

Disco

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
They/Them
Mellow glanced at Maple, expression grim. The others seemed shocked, dismayed, and at a loss...

Not her.

She knew something was wrong with her all along. The Florizard growled and continued to make sure that everyone was out, including their leader.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
They'd clawed and scraped and bled their way to the ass-end of the tree, and Starr still didn't even know what for, but the new kid had said it was important, and Brisa was determined to protect her trainee and Starr wasn't about to leave Brisa's side in this hellhole, so whatever. They'd make it there out of pure spite if they had to. Maybe the spite would help Diyem recover faster.

Hey body felt sluggish. The Hydreigon had done something; her muscles didn't want to move. She'd beaten him into the ground in a hazy blur of fire and Radiance that she could barely remember. A few other phantoms had gotten in the way. They were gone now. She'd beaten the shit out of something that looked like Shield but wasn't him. It wasn't alive and it didn't have feelings so she didn't have to feel bad.

Astrid has exploded with a violent burst of Blacklight, and Brisa was struggling to pull the limp Ninetales onto her back. The ominous glow of red, hovering at the edge of Starr's vision, was steadily growing brighter. They had to go. Had to go. Had to--

Her vision faded into view. Celeste was nearby--he must've teleported her back. Starr was carrying the limp form of Vix under one arm, not even caring that there was now melted wax dripping down her side. It kinda smelled good anyway. And... Koa, where was Koa? They'd lost sight of him in the final room, and getting him there safely had been the whole damn point of it all, and--

Owen appeared in a flash of light, carrying the Manectric. That was it. They'd all made it out. Fucking finally.

Starr turned to Brisa and relaxed slightly. "Gonna need a month-long vacation after that one."

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Maple was coming.

Astrid stumbled, exhausted, clenching her tails at the mixed corruption and the unbelievably painful feeling surging through her body. This was her last attack; she wasn’t supposed to have this much left. How did—?

She fancied a glance down, if only for a split second. ‘Myles?’

‘I know you aren’t done yet!’
he cried out from his stone. He wasn’t quite speaking evenly. ‘I know you want to give it all you’ve got! Go out in a Blaze of—!’

‘Thanks!’
Radiance exploded from her paws and drowned him out. Her body left the ground, wobbling first, stabilizing, and circling around the edge of the room towards Buffet.

Astrid glided to a hovering state, however, when the light dimmed under the deafening impact of Brisa and Starr’s attack.

Perfect.

Astrid’s eyes gleamed as she drew in its power, drew in as much as she could, until she couldn’t breathe any longer. And it forced things upon her that she’d been hiding from and no longer could; Phantoms crowded around them as fear clawed into her heart.

‘Astrid! What’s the hold—’

Noises, ambience, nothing that concerned her. She blinked, awake, awake, and caught a glimpse of Brisa. She was distracted. Astrid twitched her lip. Ages. And now here they were. She thought she’d never see her again, ever, and in a way, she was still right. But it hasn’t been her death that broke her, had it? Astrid didn’t have the goddamn strength to look her in the eye and admit that it would only ever be temporary again.

Maple was coming. Maple was coming. The lure—! It was their only shot to escape, only shot at survival! And so, Astrid acted out of fear as the last of her Radiance was leveled out by the growing Shadows, burning the fabric of her aura with every breath. And they grew, and grew, and grew, and the distance between her and the Phantoms shrunk and shrunk and shrunk…

Astrid dealt 54437 damage to the Phantoms!

And there she was. Seconds before her Blaze of Glory would end—she could feel herself slipping now—Brisa was upon her.

Astrid opened her mouth and let her jaw hang briefly. “I…” The glow of the surrounding roots faded behind a blurry wall. Her limbs softened and her knees began to buckle. “I don’t know how to—to love, I—”

Burned into her head was the image of a river under clear skies and fair winds. Happiness. She was still a Vulpix and in much less pain. The end hadn’t felt so close back then…

Out cold before hitting the ground, Astrid would have no good dreams.

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa ran and struck and barked assent to – and requests for – coordination, almost without conscious thought. She fought in a combat-trance, using electricity and Blacklight and her body in concert just as in the best drills she'd ever done. She dodged everything the Buffet-phantom could dish out and dealt back explosive blows of black-and-silver-and-gold energy, at first desperately and on her own, and then when Starr had annihilated the Nanab phantom, at her friend's side. Where she needed to be. They struck together, arc and flare, and again, and again, until there was nothing of it left . . . and nothing of her Blacklight, gone in one last catalytic burst of light and void, a Z-Burst that shook the ground.

There was sound, and lightning, and power. And then it was nearly over. The lure was active. They could make their escape. She looked about for anyone that needed help...

Astrid. Astrid. Of course.

Brisa approached, paws leaden, but moving nonetheless.

I don't know how to love.

It had been months coming, but it was an answer. Brisa just hoped it wouldn't mirror her confession with another death.

"Survive, and we'll talk about it," she growled softly, heart aching.

Maybe Astrid heard her. Maybe not. It didn't matter. Brisa grabbed her and put her mind to running, escaping alongside Starr and the melted chandelier she was carrying, then came Mellow taking her by the shoulder and getting her clear, and seeing everyone, everyone was clear, and Starr—

Starr, smiling.

"Yeah," said Brisa, breathless. "A vacation, huh? I'm game. Count me in."

They were gonna be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom